Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

fenix1
07-07-2018, 03:24 AM
Iím hearing rumblings of Republic paying for training (private, instrument, both commercials and instructor ratings) at LIFT in exchange for a 5 year commitment to Republic. Is this the rumor mill at its finest or is there some validity to this? (I saw no info along these lines on RPA website, neither in recruiting nor LIFT sections.)

GoJuice
07-07-2018, 06:30 AM
The total cost for the program is 65K. That includes the full cost of the training along with all equipment needed (iPad, books, uniform, etc..) From what I was told there is a 5-6 year commitment if you use the financing that is offered.

deftone
07-07-2018, 06:37 AM
I spoke with someone who has been through the testing/interview in Indy and they claimed they were told itís a 5 year agreement starting from Indoc. I go to Indy next week so can confirm when I get there. I asked during the Skype interview but didnít really get an answer.

hockey27
07-07-2018, 07:11 AM
I spoke with someone who has been through the testing/interview in Indy and they claimed they were told itís a 5 year agreement starting from Indoc. I go to Indy next week so can confirm when I get there. I asked during the Skype interview but didnít really get an answer.

I did the Skype interview on July 3rd. I havenít heard back since. During the interview I asked about a commitment and they were very vague at answering it. Iím sure at the in person interview in Indy they will give more details.

deftone
07-07-2018, 08:34 AM
I did the Skype interview on July 3rd. I havenít heard back since. During the interview I asked about a commitment and they were very vague at answering it. Iím sure at the in person interview in Indy they will give more details.

It was around a week after my Skype interview that I got the email with the invite to Indy. Note that if you get invited you are responsible for all travel/hotels etc.

fenix1
07-07-2018, 07:43 PM
In exchange for a commitment (sounds like 5 years), is Republic actually paying for all costs of the flight training? (private, instrument, both commercials and the 3 CFI ratings) Or does making a commitment to Republic just give the right to financing?

Having Republic pay for flight training (ie, an Asian or European style cadet program) would be big. Merely having access to financing could be helpful to some, but not nearly as big. If all Republic is doing in exchange for a commitment is offering financing, then Iím not sure how the airline benefits significantly from buying Lift - what am I missing there?

deftone
07-07-2018, 08:42 PM
In exchange for a commitment (sounds like 5 years), is Republic actually paying for all costs of the flight training? (private, instrument, both commercials and the 3 CFI ratings) Or does making a commitment to Republic just give the right to financing?

Having Republic pay for flight training (ie, an Asian or European style cadet program) would be big. Merely having access to financing could be helpful to some, but not nearly as big. If all Republic is doing in exchange for a commitment is offering financing, then Iím not sure how the airline benefits significantly from buying Lift - what am I missing there?

This is obviously second hand info from the guy I spoke with as I wont be there until next week, but it appears to be a pro-rata contract. You are on the hook for the full $65k if you were to quit on day 1 of indoc, with the amount reducing over time until its fully paid at the 5 year point. So technically they are providing your financing but forgiving it over time. Im not exactly sure how this works on paper. Im sure its tied up in all sorts of legal jargon. But yes, it will be funded from zero to hero.

SoFloFlyer
07-07-2018, 09:12 PM
This is obviously second hand info from the guy I spoke with as I wont be there until next week, but it appears to be a pro-rata contract. You are on the hook for the full $65k if you were to quit on day 1 of indoc, with the amount reducing over time until its fully paid at the 5 year point. So technically they are providing your financing but forgiving it over time. Im not exactly sure how this works on paper. Im sure its tied up in all sorts of legal jargon. But yes, it will be funded from zero to hero.

Wonder if it would be cheaper/less commitment if they accepted and financed from multi add-on and CFI

deftone
07-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Wonder if it would be cheaper/less commitment if they accepted and financed from multi add-on and CFI

They do adjust for entering at a different level, I already confirmed as I have my private/instrument rating. Iím not sure how cost breaks down for each rating though.

SoFloFlyer
07-08-2018, 07:30 AM
They do adjust for entering at a different level, I already confirmed as I have my private/instrument rating. Iím not sure how cost breaks down for each rating though.

Definitely worth looking into, I just wish there was more info on them before I could give them a serious thought. Especially if I have to move across the country

JetDoc
07-08-2018, 08:53 AM
5 years of indentured servitude. Sounds awesome. Where do I sign up?

Av8r75
07-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Wow...pilots really do see the negative in everything...

Just my opinion here, but I wish they had programs like that when I was getting my ratings. I would say that's a fair trade if someone is willing to pay for all your training.

It's different when we are talking about a type rating of course...but initial training is a different story. Not only does it save you the money, but after 5 years you can go anywhere you want. Not to mention they are going to pay you during that 5 years!

Definition of indentured servitude is:

"A person under contract to work for another person for a definite period of time, usually without pay but in exchange for free passage to a new country for example (or in this case, free initial training)."

I would still like to see the contract language, but seems like a good deal in my book...... just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

itsmytime
07-08-2018, 12:17 PM
I agree with you, Av8r75. Free ratings for five years sounds good. Also, guaranteed employment on the other end. Most guys are staying at the WO’s longer than that waiting on the flow, and still had to pay for their ratings.

As usual, pilots are mad because someone is getting something they didn’t.

deftone
07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
I agree with you, Av8r75. Free ratings for five years sounds good. Also, guaranteed employment on the other end. Most guys are staying at the WOís longer than that waiting on the flow, and still had to pay for their ratings.

As usual, pilots are mad because someone is getting something they didnít.

The issue I can see is for the guy going zero to hero they are saying 18months until CFI. Then say another 18months to get to ATP Mins? So that 5 years is actually 8 years all together that you are tied to Republic unless you want to pay for the training yourself. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a lot can change in the Regional world in 8 years.

GoJuice
07-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Where is the tuition reimbursement coming from? All I was told was that the cost of the program is 65K and a 5-6 year commitment with use of their financing options. No mention of reimbursement.

deftone
07-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Where is the tuition reimbursement coming from? All I was told was that the cost of the program is 65K and a 5-6 year commitment with use of their financing options. No mention of reimbursement.

I was told that its $65k regardless of how you pay, self funded or take advantage of their financing etc. If you are offered a position and flow to Republic they will take over the $65k in exchange for a 5 year commitment. I will report back with all of the details when I fly to Indy next week. They didnt leave much time for going into details in a 15min skype interview

I assume not everyone will be offered this opportunity as they told me during my Skype interview that they have 400 applicants.

SoFloFlyer
07-08-2018, 08:14 PM
I was told that its $65k regardless of how you pay, self funded or take advantage of their financing etc. If you are offered a position and flow to Republic they will take over the $65k in exchange for a 5 year commitment. I will report back with all of the details when I fly to Indy next week. They didnt leave much time for going into details in a 15min skype interview

I assume not everyone will be offered this opportunity as they told me during my Skype interview that they have 400 applicants.

Iíd apply for it, but the initial interviews at Indy are all self funded. All that adds up fast when youíre a broke college student lol

JayD
07-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Please do report back the details after the full interview.

I was able to talk to the LIFT director and another lady last weekend but it was at a CAF event so there were others around making it difficult to go into details. They also didnít really seem to have all the details worked out yet either so I didnít push.

What was the Skype interview like? I have mine a week next Monday.

ItnStln
07-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Does the $65,000 include any uniforms and iPads? It seems like I read it does but now I canít find where I read that.

therealbrucelee
07-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Hey all.

I will be heading to IND to interview with LIFT the week of 23 July and I have added the tuition question to my short-list; if there are any other ab-initio types in this process feel free to message me and I will see about answering what I have gathered following my trip.

Also, if you have been through this and arent bound by nondisclosures, I'd appreciate any guidance you may have for me.

Cheers!

Bruce

SoFloFlyer
07-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Hey all.

I will be heading to IND to interview with LIFT the week of 23 July and I have added the tuition question to my short-list; if there are any other ab-initio types in this process feel free to message me and I will see about answering what I have gathered following my trip.

Also, if you have been through this and arent bound by nondisclosures, I'd appreciate any guidance you may have for me.

Cheers!

Bruce

Upon successful conpletion of the program, is employment as a CFI guaranteed than a guaranteed spot at Republic? Thanks!

deftone
07-14-2018, 06:10 PM

Bruce

I go in a few days but I have talked on Facebook to a couple of guys that have been already. Seems like its a 45min HR style interview with a panel plus the EPST COMPASS testing, which I was told appears to be around early high school level.I will update when I get there in a few days unless they make us sign a confidentiality agreement of some kind.

Interestingly I havnt heard of anyone getting any approvals or denials following the interview. I wonder if they are waiting until a later date?

deftone
07-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Does the $65,000 include any uniforms and iPads? It seems like I read it does but now I canít find where I read that.

Everything is included, including uniforms and ipads etc.

sflpilot
07-15-2018, 11:01 PM
The issue I can see is for the guy going zero to hero they are saying 18months until CFI. Then say another 18months to get to ATP Mins? So that 5 years is actually 8 years all together that you are tied to Republic unless you want to pay for the training yourself. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a lot can change in the Regional world in 8 years.

Another thing also with this is that there are multiple scenarios that could cause your separation from the company before the commitment is up. Examples would be failing initial training at the airline, failing IOE, failing a PC twice, getting fired during probation or getting fired after probation for cause. So going into the entire program completely broke thinking everything is just going to be great may backfire on you. The statistics prove that not everyone will make it and you could end up owing a lot of money that you donít have at the end of the day. I guess the silver lining is if this does happen to some people which it will the debt is bankruptable.

SilentLurker
07-16-2018, 05:38 AM
5 years of indentured servitude. Sounds awesome. Where do I sign up?

When you join the military (enlisted, or officer) 4+ yrs, after 2 years of continuous service you are entitled to the GI Bill.

Free money... Sign up at ur local Armed Services Recruitment office. U get to select your field too. But you have to take tests to qualify, and get through boot camp or Officer Candidate School, then pass Flight School or any other training program you selected.

Your committed for 4-10 yrs total depending of your field.

deftone
07-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Another thing also with this is that there are multiple scenarios that could cause your separation from the company before the commitment is up. Examples would be failing initial training at the airline, failing IOE, failing a PC twice, getting fired during probation or getting fired after probation for cause. So going into the entire program completely broke thinking everything is just going to be great may backfire on you. The statistics prove that not everyone will make it and you could end up owing a lot of money that you donít have at the end of the day. I guess the silver lining is if this does happen to some people which it will the debt is bankruptable.

I agree with you, interesting fact though is that I was there for my interview a few days ago and the 5 year thing is BS. There is no such commitment. I asked them about it. There WILL be a commitment of some kind but that hasnít been agreed yet.

Also interesting was that the Sept, Oct and Nov classes are all full. Next class is 2019.

deftone
07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Upon successful conpletion of the program, is employment as a CFI guaranteed than a guaranteed spot at Republic? Thanks!

The CFI spot and flow to republic are guaranteed with the condition that you can pass background checks etc. the list of excluding reasons is given when you get your offer.

Boing797
07-16-2018, 03:01 PM

Deftone, any updates on whether this is in fact a "fully-funded" program?

deftone
07-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Deftone, any updates on whether this is in fact a "fully-funded" program?

Negative, it appears my earlier statement based on conversations with others was wrong. They have financing that will be available to all students. Repayment starts upon starting as a CFI. Some students will be selected for scholarships/sponsorship and get a free ride but the criteria for being selected hasnít been confirmed yet.

Basically puts it on the level of ATP and other schools as far as I could tell, unless the sponsorships are substantial.

GoJuice
07-17-2018, 04:00 AM
Basically puts it on the level of ATP and other schools as far as I could tell, unless the sponsorships are substantial.

Yes, but 15K - 20K cheaper than ATP.

itsmytime
07-17-2018, 04:03 AM
Yes, but 15K - 20K cheaper than ATP.

Also 6-9 months longer, though.

itsmytime
07-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Negative, it appears my earlier statement based on conversations with others was wrong. They have financing that will be available to all students. Repayment starts upon starting as a CFI. Some students will be selected for scholarships/sponsorship and get a free ride but the criteria for being selected hasn’t been confirmed yet.

Also don’t see why there should be any obligation to Republic if you are paying out of pocket. It’s like the old Delta Connection Academy. There was no obligation to go to Comair once finished.

fenix1
07-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Why did RPA buy this flight school? Why would any half-right thinking pilot lock themselves into RPA if they still have to pay for their own training???

I eagerly await official word from RPA on this program - something doesnít add up right now.

Lostboys97
07-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Be careful.
Havenít confirmed as of yet, but it sounds like the cost is $65k if and only if you complete a 5yr agreement to work for Republic. AND it is reduced to that price because they do not pay a signing bonus to you. If you do not fulfill the 5 years, the cost is $85k.
Also, need to find out when the 5 year clock begins.

deftone
07-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Be careful.
Havenít confirmed as of yet, but it sounds like the cost is $65k if and only if you complete a 5yr agreement to work for Republic. AND it is reduced to that price because they do not pay a signing bonus to you. If you do not fulfill the 5 years, the cost is $85k.

There is no 5 year agreement. I confirmed at my in person interview in Indy a few days ago. You are correct that you do not get the bonus though.

FightKing92
07-17-2018, 01:50 PM
There is no 5 year agreement. I confirmed at my in person interview in Indy a few days ago. You are correct that you do not get the bonus though.
So is it tuition deferment or reimbursement? I keep hearing about $65000 but they do really specify. Also is it 2 years or 12 months (depending)?

JayD
07-17-2018, 02:29 PM
So is it tuition deferment or reimbursement? I keep hearing about $65000 but they do really specify. Also is it 2 years or 12 months (depending)?

I really donít think they have all of those details worked out yet. When I asked them about it in my Skype interview the other day they used the word ďreimbursementĒ and essentially a $1 to $1 match. So if you pay $200 per month Republic pays the same. They also said Republic would co-sign for those needing a co-signer.

When I asked if there was a benefit for paying cash their answer was... Thatís a good question actually! Umm... Maybe there will be some bonuses or something for those people but we arenít sure yet.

TheWeatherman
07-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Be careful.
lol, wow. That is a horrible deal if true.

FightKing92
07-17-2018, 03:50 PM
lol, wow. That is a horrible deal if true.

Hmmmmmm sounds weird. I think I'll try to ask when its my time to go.

deftone
07-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Tuition repayments are deferred until you start on the line as a CFI. There are no guaranteed reimbursements at this time, although they will offer "scholarships" to some students. They didnt have an answer to how much were these scholarships or how you got selected for them, but I got the impression that most students would be on their own for the full $65k. They appear to be banking on students coming here because of the direct flow to Republic. No interviews required etc.

Like I posted above, classes are apparently already full until 2019 so will be interesting to see how the first few months go.

therealbrucelee
07-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Thats more or less my number one seed; will LIFT/RPA employ as many quality CFI's as possible or is there a number cap for quantity.

If they graduate a class of 30 CFI's, are they planning on taking all 30 or just enough to fill out shorfalls.

deftone
07-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Thats more or less my number one seed; will LIFT/RPA employ as many quality CFI's as possible or is there a number cap for quantity.

If they graduate a class of 30 CFI's, are they planning on taking all 30 or just enough to fill out shorfalls.

They told me at my in person interview that both the CFI position AND the flow to Republic was guaranteed.

therealbrucelee
07-18-2018, 08:41 PM
They told me at my in person interview that both the CFI position AND the flow to Republic was guaranteed.

Thats encouraging. If you could do the interview again, what would you have done differently?

(thanks for the feedback, btw)

deftone
07-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Thats encouraging. If you could do the interview again, what would you have done differently?

(thanks for the feedback, btw)

The interview itself was pretty much a non event. Took the tests which are probably early high school level plus spatial orientation tests, multitasking tests, memory tests and mechanical aptitude tests. Then the interview itself was a 20min 1 on 1 with one of their staff. The questions were the usual, tell me about a time you used communication skills,tell me about a time you overcame some difficult challenge. How would you approach the lead CFI if you had a disagreement on something. There was zero aviation questions in the interview.

I donít think I would do anything different. Perhaps practice long division (you WILL have it on the test). If anything I would say LIFT should hit the pause button for a couple of months to get their side figured out. Their building at KIND is still completely empty, they have no real answers to the questions on to what level they will sponsor students and Diamond cannot deliver the aircraft in time meaning the class hiring are being placed on hold after November to wait for aircraft deliveries. Donít want to many students on premises with not enough aircraft. Letters went out to the first 75 selected for the first 3 classes this week.

therealbrucelee
07-20-2018, 12:15 PM
I have been watching the Diamond acquisition v/s delivery rate and wondered how many airplanes would be available on day 1.

I've been brushing up on math, cut-e, TFC, and some basic spatial stuff; I should pass a 9th grade exam (I took soft math in college).

Did they discuss living arrangements for LIFT students? I'm guessing they will do what ATP does and have double occupancy on site.....

Thanks again for the info and maybe I'll see you soon.

deftone
07-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Did they discuss living arrangements for LIFT students? I'm guessing they will do what ATP does and have double occupancy on site.....

I didnt ask as I have a family and would be looking to get my own place if I had to move to Indy. I havnt seen any mention of accommodation being provided though.

therealbrucelee
07-20-2018, 01:11 PM
I also have a family, but was planning on doing the first year solo to allow time to sell my house; definitely something I need to iron out sooner than later.

deftone
07-20-2018, 04:08 PM
I also have a family, but was planning on doing the first year solo to allow time to sell my house; definitely something I need to iron out sooner than later.

Just an update on this..... I got my offer this afternoon via email and they do mention that housing is available and that the details are in the packet they mailed.

therealbrucelee
07-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Just an update on this..... I got my offer this afternoon via email and they do mention that housing is available and that the details are in the packet they mailed.

Congrats!

Thanks, again, for the feedback. I go this Sunday/Monday and hope to not set the place on fire on my way in.

Keep us updated on how the process goes for you. Are they booked solid through the end of this calendar year?

therealbrucelee
07-20-2018, 05:06 PM
(I thought I responded earlier, but clearly shot it into the ether)

Congrats! Are you in one of the original three classes or are you looking at 2019?

sflpilot
07-20-2018, 05:22 PM
I really donít think they have all of those details worked out yet. When I asked them about it in my Skype interview the other day they used the word ďreimbursementĒ and essentially a $1 to $1 match. So if you pay $200 per month Republic pays the same. They also said Republic would co-sign for those needing a co-signer.

When I asked if there was a benefit for paying cash their answer was... Thatís a good question actually! Umm... Maybe there will be some bonuses or something for those people but we arenít sure yet.

Please everyone be careful with this program. The fact that they can't give verbal details on exactly how this thing works, let alone in writing, is very concerning. Republic is not historically known for their forthrightness.

sflpilot
07-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Tuition repayments are deferred until you start on the line as a CFI. There are no guaranteed reimbursements at this time, although they will offer "scholarships" to some students. They didnt have an answer to how much were these scholarships or how you got selected for them, but I got the impression that most students would be on their own for the full $65k. They appear to be banking on students coming here because of the direct flow to Republic. No interviews required etc.

Like I posted above, classes are apparently already full until 2019 so will be interesting to see how the first few months go.

That's funny. It is not difficult to be hired by just about any regional these days. Normally when you discuss "flow" it means going to mainline.

sflpilot
07-20-2018, 05:58 PM
Is this a bad thing?

I am just trying to be informative to those people who are new to the industry in this thread. Aside from speaking directly to other pilots, these forums are one of the few places you will get accurate information.

therealbrucelee
07-20-2018, 06:07 PM
I can dig that.

fenix1
07-20-2018, 08:33 PM
100% agree. RPA seems very comfortable attracting applicants for LIFT by riding the hype that theyíve created by purchasing LIFT & publicizing its purchase, instead of providing substantial & detailed info on how this thing works. Smart move on RPAís part and RPA has a ton of good things for it that have nothing to do with LIFT right now, but itís frustrating - Iím extremely interested in this program and flying for RPA, but I wonít be acting personally until thereís some meat & taters available (i.e, specifics & details) and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Please everyone be careful with this program. The fact that they can't give verbal details on exactly how this thing works, let alone in writing, is very concerning. Republic is not historically known for their forthrightness.

Av8r75
07-21-2018, 05:43 AM
I am just trying to be informative to those people who are new to the industry in this thread. Aside from speaking directly to other pilots, these forums are one of the few places you will get accurate information.Forums....accurate information....I wouldn't bet the farm on that one...lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

therealbrucelee
07-22-2018, 05:57 PM
Any other ab-initio's have last minute questions, let me know. Tomorrow I go see the wizard.

https://i.imgur.com/zd2yNCS.jpg

//Bruce

Flightcap
07-22-2018, 06:05 PM
I'll second sflpilot. Be very careful with this thing until real hard details are ironed out between LIFT and RPA as to how this program is going to work. I worked at RAH for 2.5 years and it was an excellent company at which to begin a 121 career so I have no bones against RAH. But you know how you can tell a pioneer....he has an arrow in his back.

ItnStln
07-22-2018, 07:15 PM

Why donít you get the bonus if you go through LIFT Academy?

ItnStln
07-22-2018, 07:17 PM

Thatís good info, thanks!

ItnStln
07-22-2018, 07:20 PM

Great advice, and thatís true with any company in any industry.

ItnStln
07-22-2018, 07:26 PM
The CFI spot and flow to republic are guaranteed with the condition that you can pass background checks etc. the list of excluding reasons is given when you get your offer.

Do you know what the excluding reasons are? I have a coworker whoís interested as well and this is might be an issue for her.

ItnStln
07-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Any other ab-initio's have last minute questions, let me know. Tomorrow I go see the wizard.

//Bruce
If you can find out about living arrangements and cost for them that would be appreciated.

deftone
07-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Do you know what the excluding reasons are? I have a coworker whoís interested as well and this is might be an issue for her.

DUIís, felonies etc. they usual stuff that would flag in a background check at a 121 carrier.

deftone
07-22-2018, 09:24 PM

//Bruce

Good luck!

JMora
07-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Anyone know if they're looking for CFI/I's and if they're willing to pay for it? Gonna be finishing multi right around the time this program should be starting.

JayD
07-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Anyone know if they're looking for CFI/I's and if they're willing to pay for it? Gonna be finishing multi right around the time this program should be starting.

I encourage you to call and ask them directly. When I met with them at a recruiting event one of the questions I asked was if theyíve had trouble getting/finding instructors, and they quickly answered that ďnoĒ they were not having any issues with that.

They do have job postings for other positions at LIFT but last I checked I donít recall seeing flight instructor as one of them. Again though, I never think it hurts to call and ask them.

JayD
07-23-2018, 08:22 AM

//Bruce

Good luck Bruce!

Potentially stupid question but what are you guys wearing to these interviews?

GoJuice
07-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Good luck Bruce!

When I was there for my on-site interview and Compass Exam, two of the four (including myself) wore a suit, the other two looked like they were wearing business casual.

deftone
07-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Good luck Bruce!

Myself and the young lady who were there together were wearing suits. The third guy was wearing jeans and tennis shoes and had not shaved in at least a week. Wonder if he got an offer......

JayD
07-23-2018, 10:22 AM
When I was there for my on-site interview and Compass Exam, two of the four (including myself) wore a suit, the other two looked like they were wearing business casual.

Myself and the young lady who were there together were wearing suits. The third guy was wearing jeans and tennis shoes and had not shaved in at least a week. Wonder if he got an offer......

I was planning on wearing a suit too so thanks for confirming.

Jeans and tennis shoes, plus not shaving... Some people never cease to amaze me! SMH

sflpilot
07-23-2018, 12:08 PM

This was not a job interview, just applying to a flight school. Which in the rest of the aviation world means showing up with money and wear whatever you want. There is no testing and they will train anyone who can pay. You will be paying them a lot of money and you are their customer. The promises of jobs if you finish all the training do not mean a whole lot because they could just fire anyone they donít want. One more thing, the amount training time it takes to pass the checkrides varies widely from person to person. So while they tout that itís just one flat fee, that will likely not be the case for most people.

4V14T0R
07-23-2018, 12:16 PM
This was not a job interview, just applying to a flight school. Which in the rest of the aviation world means showing up with money and wear whatever you want. There is no testing and they will train anyone who can pay. You will be paying them a lot of money and you are their customer. The promises of jobs if you finish all the training do not mean a whole lot because they could just fire anyone they donít want. One more thing, the amount training time it takes to pass the checkrides varies widely from person to person. So while they tout that itís just one flat fee, that will likely not be the case for most people.

This isnít a Part 61 local flight school for non-career minded folks. They seem like they want to operate it like ATP. Churn out pilots and keep a schedule. ATP seems to do it at a high level and doesnít seem to make a lot of exceptions.

Edit: To Add, all the testing is probably to determine aptitude so the candidates can reasonably be assure of passing an accelerated program and in effect it is a job interview as they are offering guaranteed jobs as a CFI and FO at YX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therealbrucelee
07-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Standard Disclaimers:

1.The following comments are based on information obtained first hand by me at RAH/LIFT in IND.

2. All of this is subject to change w/o notice as LIFT is still in process of finalizing many things.

3. Please allow 1-3 weeks for any correspondance with LIFT to include offers of acceptance, retest or rejection. They are still sorting through almost 2000 applications.

-----------------------------------------------

The Good.

Staff is very (VERY) friendly and helpful. They know that a bad reputation will murder the academy and are absolutely professional. They want professional students, as well. Problem solving and maturity WILL GO FAR with LIFT.

The believe whole heartedly in their endeavor to create 121 RAH pilots from scratch and arent in a hurry to do it. The plan over on myst 'time/hour to ratings' gates. If something calls for 10 hours, they plan between 12-14 to allow for individual growth.

They are hiring 90 CFI's from outside RAH - once the program gets going, they plan on only using LIFT CFI's. If they cannot use a LIFT CFI there at LIFT, you will be lent out to another affiliated flight instruction program (actual names TBD - but think Vincennes and other 141 schools)

Total tuition for training will be valued at 85K. RAH is eating 20K per student in exchange for a quality candidate FO.

If YOU disenroll, you are on the hook for whatever training you completed (up to the full 65K if you go as far) PLUS the 20K RAH waivered money on their investment.

If THEY disenroll you, you only owe on what you accomplished. This isnt being distributed widely (along with many fiscal details) because they are still finalizing the legal terms and conditions. Lawyers, man.

They will give you a monthly schedule so that you can work around training since not all of us are independantly wealthy or have parents that love them enough to foot the bill.

The Bad.

You are on your own for living accomadations. They have no desire to become involved in the student living situation. No dorms, no living stipend and no set-aside agreements to reduce rent with any vendors. They are working towards a partner apartment vendor that will help match LIFT roomies in 1/2/3 bedroom apartments to offset the cost of rent.

The Ugly.

Everyone will have to make their own decision when it comes to LIFT; for me, the living situation MAY premempt me from training. I have a house and family in Ohio that I dont want to sell and am not going to crack my 401k to live in an apartment for 12 months and risk being disenrolled at any time (hey, I may be a terrible pilot, tbh).

//////////////////////////////////

The Process.

Step 1; show up and sign in at the desk; recieve a cheap visitors badge and lanyard. That takes you 50% of the way to an offer from LIFT. Look neat/tidy and act professinally. The building is full of a range of people in a range of states of dress. Half of my testing class wore suites, the other half slacks and a polo (no ladies this go around). I believe that they dont publish guidance on this for a reason.

No, they wont disqualify you for poor fashion choices, but dont show up in board shorts and a Van-Halen (not Van Hagar) T-shirt. These folks are professionals and aviation in general is a conservative buisiness. Also, this is a training academy; so even if you dont want to dress up for a job interview, you may want to look sharp in respect to the people working there. Did I mention actual RAH CA and FO's are all over the place - likely judging you based only on your appearance? Its not part of the program, but lets face it, put yourself in their shoes........

The testing.

Very reasonable testing suite by COMPASS software provided by some Euro company. (CSTE maybe?). The test provides you with abundant information and sufficent time to test successfully. If your proctor forgets to tell you, TABLE A is in a document protector under the COMPASS explanation sheet. REFRESH YO MATH SKILLS. Seriously, nothing was 'hard' but some things you will not have seen since 6th grade.

The coordination testing with the rudders and control stick are easy and almost even fun. There is a feedback anomoly when you recenter the stick or pass from one lateral limit (back through center) to the other lateral limit. Very managable, but be aware that its there for the Slolom. You get three 90 second runs with each test and they are EASY - dont put the control in a deathgrip and you will reduce the workload by like 80%. I nearly squeezed the thing to death before i made myself relax.

The rest isnt worth talking about; decision making, some light mechanics and memory drills. A window displays up to four peices of numeric info (Speed Range Heading Radio) and you are tested on recall. Think of how ATC/Center passes vectoring data? Yeah, that - can you rember heading speed and altitude for six seconds.

They unofficially visit this forum and likely will NOT create an official presence here since the odds of being Hasslehoff'd are pretty good. Want to see the depravity of mankind? Visit comment section/forums....

I PM'd those of you that asked me specific questions; thanks for reaching out.

Bottom Line.

Its gonna be a great program and will provide RAH a bunch of quality 121-ready FO's. They are selective in hiring instructors and have only taken on less than half of who applied - they know they have to do it right the first time out of the gate and they start flying in September.

If I missed anything, hit me up. I have to figure out how to run two households after quitting my job to go learn to fly.......

Cheers!

therealbrucelee
07-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Can confirm.

To Add, all the testing is probably to determine aptitude so the candidates can reasonably be assure of passing an accelerated program and in effect it is a job interview as they are offering guaranteed jobs as a CFI and FO at YX.

ItnStln
07-23-2018, 03:30 PM
DUIís, felonies etc. they usual stuff that would flag in a background check at a 121 carrier.

Thanks. My coworker only has a second degree assault charge which isnít a felony so I wonder how she will be.

deftone
07-23-2018, 07:53 PM
The Bad.

You are on your own for living accomadations. They have no desire to become involved in the student living situation. No dorms, no living stipend and no set-aside agreements to reduce rent with any vendors. They are working towards a partner apartment vendor that will help match LIFT roomies in 1/2/3 bedroom apartments to offset the cost of rent.

Great write up! I was interested in this section regarding them not having anything to do with housing. The approval email I (and others) got mentions information on housing is in the packet that should be arriving in the mail. I assumed it was something LIFT was involved in, but I guess it must be something generic??

I also noted some of us have small discrepancies in the information we were told. I wonder if we were interviewed by different people and hence a slightly different way of wording things, or if things are just so fluid right now?

fenix1
07-23-2018, 09:36 PM
RPA is no worse than the 2nd best regional airline from a pilotís perspective right now, with Endeavor being the other contender. (Iím certainly open to dissenting opinions on this, but my point is that RPA has a great thing going currently.)

That being said, given the dynamic nature of regional airlines and their inherent instability, is it wise to lock into a single airline so far in advance? Other than $85K (LIFTís marketing number??) of training for $65K, what TRUE BENEFIT/ADVANTAGE does this LIFT/RPA program provide to pilots in todayís industry?

I have no agenda here. I will likely apply to RPA when I reach ATP mins. But Iím truly not sure what Iím missing about the upside of this LIFT/RPA program... Can anyone throw me a bone here?

GoJuice
07-24-2018, 04:08 AM
RPA is no worse than the 2nd best regional airline from a pilotís perspective right now, with Endeavor being the other contender. (Iím certainly open to dissenting opinions on this, but my point is that RPA has a great thing going currently.)

That being said, given the dynamic nature of regional airlines and their inherent instability, is it wise to lock into a single airline so far in advance? Other than $85K (LIFTís marketing number??) of training for $65K, what TRUE BENEFIT/ADVANTAGE does this LIFT/RPA program provide to pilots in todayís industry?

I have no agenda here. I will likely apply to RPA when I reach ATP mins. But Iím truly not sure what Iím missing about the upside of this LIFT/RPA program... Can anyone throw me a bone here?

The reason i am enrolling in this program is the access to (Reasonable) financing. Unfortunately i've tried the pay as you go method and it just wasn't working due to money constraints. I looked at other fast track programs and almost enrolled in ATP until I realized the true cost of it and what the loan repayment would look like. I also would like to stay close to home and luckily for me, Indy is only a four hour drive.

deftone
07-24-2018, 09:02 AM

I would assume the biggest draw for most would be the fact that the financing is backed by republic, so a co-signer is not required. I know that seems to be a big issue for most when trying to get into ATP style schools. Otherwise there is not too many differences over other schools that I can see. The guaranteed FO class at Republic will no doubt draw in some of those who have not been tuned into the industry and realize that getting into a regional is not as difficult as it has been in the past.

ItnStln
07-24-2018, 09:06 AM
The reason i am enrolling in this program is the access to (Reasonable) financing. Unfortunately i've tried the pay as you go method and it just wasn't working due to money constraints. I looked at other fast track programs and almost enrolled in ATP until I realized the true cost of it and what the loan repayment would look like. I also would like to stay close to home and luckily for me, Indy is only a four hour drive.

Same here except Indy is almost half way across the country from me! How far is Indy from West Lafayette? I have a friend who lives there.

ItnStln
07-24-2018, 09:08 AM
I would assume the biggest draw for most would be the fact that the financing is backed by republic, so a co-signer is not required. I know that seems to be a big issue for most when trying to get into ATP style schools. Otherwise there is not too many differences over other schools that I can see. The guaranteed FO class at Republic will no doubt draw in some of those who have not been tuned into the industry and realize that getting into a regional is not as difficult as it has been in the past.

Iím drawn to LIFT Academy because of the financing being backed by Republic. Iíve been paying attention to the industry for a few years now and had my choice of regionals narrowed down to Republic and PSA.

sflpilot
07-24-2018, 12:59 PM
This isnít a Part 61 local flight school for non-career minded folks. They seem like they want to operate it like ATP. Churn out pilots and keep a schedule. ATP seems to do it at a high level and doesnít seem to make a lot of exceptions.

Edit: To Add, all the testing is probably to determine aptitude so the candidates can reasonably be assure of passing an accelerated program and in effect it is a job interview as they are offering guaranteed jobs as a CFI and FO at YX.

Look I attended one of the major collegiate 141 programs in the country. You are not getting anything special. The CFI's will be brand new like everywhere else. You will get the same certificate in the end no matter where you train. I feel like I am repeating others, but these days you can get trained anywhere and go to almost any regional without much trouble. So I know they are acting like this is something special, but it's not.

JayD
07-25-2018, 08:26 AM

The reasons for me are that it is an accelerated program in Indy (appears to be similar to ATP) which is where I currently live and the quick transition to RPA when finished. RPA is my number one choice based on their current base locations.

There are a few other smaller things but the above are the main two draws for me.

I know with the current hiring environment you pretty much have a choice anywhere but I've also noticed that's not exactly accurate. For example: Envoy is mainly only hiring those in their cadet program and those in the cadet program get other benefits above OTS'. Like first pick on aircraft and bases. No matter how you slice this it will also make it more competitive for OTS' hires since there will be less openings. With RPA starting their own flight school I imagine we will see similar constraints to OTS' at RPA.

deftone
07-27-2018, 07:29 AM
Anyone get their packet in the mail yet? Iím working out of state so havenít been able to check my mail. Curious to whatís in the packet.

therealbrucelee
07-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Anyone get their packet in the mail yet? Iím working out of state so havenít been able to check my mail. Curious to whatís in the packet.

Nope; but it hasn't even been a week for me. Also, I haven't gotten the email even saying they want me :D

deftone
07-28-2018, 05:43 AM
So just to update, I have managed to get home and check my mail but nothing yet, however I did get an email with all of the web links to apply for the financing etc.

Guess what, despite earlier information directly from LIFT, Republic is NOT guaranteeing the finance and I was rejected by the finance company. This is despite having a 6 figure salary and decent credit. So at this point I guess I will be looking elsewhere. I will have my commercial mins in a few weeks so will most likely go get my comm and multi and find a pt 91 or 135 gig.

GoJuice
07-28-2018, 05:43 AM

I haven't gotten my packet yet but i did get an email last night with more information on the loan. Im pretty disappointed to be honest. The maximum term is 10 years and it looks like repayment begins while you are an instructor.

GoJuice
07-28-2018, 05:46 AM
So just to update, I have managed to get home and check my mail but nothing yet, however I did get an email with all of the web links to apply for the financing etc.

Guess what, despite earlier information directly from LIFT, Republic is NOT guaranteeing the finance and I was rejected by the finance company. This is despite having a 6 figure salary and decent credit. So at this point I guess I will be looking elsewhere. I will have my commercial mins in a few weeks so will most likely go get my comm and multi and find a pt 91 or 135 gig.
Does the loan application allow for a co-signer? Im really sorry to hear that after doing all his work! I wonder if you could reach out to LIFT and see if there is anything they can do? Im not sure how anyone will be able to get approved for the loan if you cant with a 6 figure salary.

deftone
07-28-2018, 06:00 AM
Does the loan application allow for a co-signer? Im really sorry to hear that after doing all his work! I wonder if you could reach out to LIFT and see if there is anything they can do? Im not sure how anyone will be able to get approved for the loan if you cant with a 6 figure salary.

Nope, it didnít give me an option for a co-signer. I wouldnít read too much into the salary, I would be giving it up anyway to move to Indy, so was surprised that they even asked. When I was in Indy they informed me it was a formality as Republic was backing it.

I wasnít even looking for the full $65 as I am already Instrument Rated and would have my commercial prior to starting. Oh well, onwards onto the next option. Just irritating to travel from Louisiana to Indy on my own dime for no reason.

GoJuice
07-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Correction, repayment begins after completion of the training period (CFI). You are required to make interest only payments as a CFI though.

FightKing92
07-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Well that's depressing. I guess that's a no for a lot of us then. Oh well I guess I can cancel my appointment with them.

FightKing92
07-28-2018, 09:42 AM
I haven't gotten my packet yet but i did get an email last night with more information on the loan. Im pretty disappointed to be honest. The maximum term is 10 years and it looks like repayment begins while you are an instructor.
Wow I thought this was not a repayment plan. At this point your better off going to ATP and then coming in as a cadet. At least you retain the $17000 bonus.

therealbrucelee
07-28-2018, 02:35 PM
So at this point I guess I will be looking elsewhere. I will have my commercial mins in a few weeks so will most likely go get my comm and multi and find a pt 91 or 135 gig.

Tough break, man. The fiscal part is the biggest obstacle to my training with LIFT as well. I'm with you; 122k a year and an 804 Credit Score.....but how do I pay for living expenses like room, board and food? Crack open a 401k? Forget about that noise.

Their main pitch is that (paraphrasing) money will not be an obstacle if you have the desire and talent.

I still wish everyone the best luck and will be working towards commercial along with Deftone and may re-engage this process next summer once it matures a bit.

Shame, too; I was hyped up for this adventure.

Deanna, if you are reading this, I think this may end up biting LIFT in the @ss. Or not; some folks will have the financial means to do this.

FightKing92
07-28-2018, 03:08 PM

I'm confused as to what's the point then? This seems like another ATP. At that point most students would be better off just going to ATP at least they keep the $17000 bonus.

sflpilot
07-29-2018, 11:45 AM

I was surprised when they claimed they would co-sign. Financing for flight training has gotten pretty strict over the years. It used to be easier years ago, but as training got more and more expensive the pilot wages were still very low. So the rate of repayment was not good. Realistically if you want to become a pilot you need to either have the money or a good enough income to pay as you go. If they are expecting payments as a CFI that is a recipe for disaster. Anyone know what the interest rates for this deal are?

itsmytime
07-29-2018, 12:27 PM
I was surprised when they claimed they would co-sign. Financing for flight training has gotten pretty strict over the years. It used to be easier years ago, but as training got more and more expensive the pilot wages were still very low. So the rate of repayment was not good. Realistically if you want to become a pilot you need to either have the money or a good enough income to pay as you go. If they are expecting payments as a CFI that is a recipe for disaster. Anyone know what the interest rates for this deal are?

I wonder what their plan is to fill this school, if their is no help on financing? I cant imagine there are that many people with 65k cash laying around.

deftone
07-29-2018, 07:13 PM
If they are expecting payments as a CFI that is a recipe for disaster. Anyone know what the interest rates for this deal are?

Taken directly from the Financing Application page...

LOAN RATES AND FEES
There is a 2.00% loan origination fee for each funding disbursement which will be added to the loan amount.

The interest rate is a variable loan rate of 7.57% over the 3-month LIBOR adjusted quarterly.

Current LIBOR is 2.33%, so I guess this makes the financing 9.9% at todays rates. Spread over the 10 year maximum term that would make you pay back $103k on your $65k loan @ $850 per month. Doesnt seem such a good deal now...

Making it Count
07-29-2018, 09:02 PM

LOAN RATES AND FEES
There is a 2.00% loan origination fee for each funding disbursement which will be added to the loan amount.

The interest rate is a variable loan rate of 7.57% over the 3-month LIBOR adjusted quarterly.

Current LIBOR is 2.33%, so I guess this makes the financing 9.9% at todays rates. Spread over the 10 year maximum term that would make you pay back $103k on your $65k loan @ $850 per month. Doesnt seem such a good deal now...

This is why many people can not become pilots (and shouldnít). Jobs in the industry don't pay enough to allow this kind of payment. I would be curious what they are planning for offering as a CFI wage. I bet its comical compared to the amount of debt that will be taken on to get there.

sflpilot
07-29-2018, 09:16 PM
I wonder what their plan is to fill this school, if their is no help on financing? I cant imagine there are that many people with 65k cash laying around.

The impression I got from some previous posters was their current jobs had 100k plus income. If you keep your current job you could cash flow the training for less money at a school at your local airport. Also some of the regionals are reimbursing for certain amounts of flight training costs. The industry may get to a point soon where they will have to cover the entire cost of your training.

sflpilot
07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
This is why many people can not become pilots (and shouldnít). Jobs in the industry don't pay enough to allow this kind of payment. I would be curious what they are planning for offering as a CFI wage. I bet its comical compared to the amount of debt that will be taken on to get there.

Whatever the going rate is for CFIís in IND. I wouldnít expect anything more from them.

TheWeatherman
07-30-2018, 04:10 AM
I would be curious what they are planning for offering as a CFI wage.
Typically the Academies pay their CFIs much less then what you would make elsewhere. They don't need to do much recruitment since they can farm their own students. Also it is human nature to stay where you are comfortable instead of having to apply and interview elsewhere, even if you would make more pay. They know this and take full advantage.

CRJ1988
07-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Just curious, what lending institution are they using?

LOAN RATES AND FEES

deftone
07-30-2018, 09:23 PM
Just curious, what lending institution are they using?

US Credit Inc.

deftone
07-31-2018, 02:46 PM
I got the packet in the mail this morning, after reading it all through I will 100% not be going forward. It doesnt seem to hit any of the promises made when they made their big announcement of opening LIFT. I could go to ATP and get the tuition reimbursement from any of the participating regionals and come out cheaper than the LIFT program with the benefit of ATP having done this style of learning for years, compared to the potential growing pains of a new school.

One thing of note is that the agreement DOES have a 5 year, $20,000 commitment. This is to cover the $20,000 "sponsorship" from Republic.

Lostboys97
07-31-2018, 04:10 PM
I got the packet in the mail this morning, after reading it all through I will 100% not be going forward. It doesnt seem to hit any of the promises made when they made their big announcement of opening LIFT. I could go to ATP and get the tuition reimbursement from any of the participating regionals and come out cheaper than the LIFT program with the benefit of ATP having done this style of learning for years, compared to the potential growing pains of a new school.

One thing of note is that the agreement DOES have a 5 year, $20,000 commitment. This is to cover the $20,000 "sponsorship" from Republic.

True Republic fashion. A leopard doesnít change its spots.....

ItnStln
08-01-2018, 04:42 PM
I got invited to Indianapolis. Can anyone recommend a good study guide for the COMPASS Test? Also are there recommendations for hotels in the area that are cheap?

therealbrucelee
08-01-2018, 05:07 PM
I got invited to Indianapolis. Can anyone recommend a good study guide for the COMPASS Test? Also are there recommendations for hotels in the area that are cheap?

I purchased a COMPASS kit from https://www.jobtestprep.com/ (https://www.jobtestprep.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=JTP.com%) and its pretty good; 45 Euro's.

I stayed at the Hilton Gardens - its a Holiday Inn with a Fancy Name...best part is that it is 0.4 miles from Republic's building.

I posted an earlier review of my visit....It may help you out. The only thing that was a challenge was the math. Not because it was overly difficlut, but because I havent practiced those skills in a decade.

If you have any other questions, hit me up. Also, I believe DefTone has been as well and can help out with his experience, too.

Best of luck, my friend.

//Bruce

JayD
08-04-2018, 04:01 AM

I used some of the free ones and still managed to pass. As Bruce pointed out the most difficult part was the math and that was mainly because like him I havenít practiced those skills in over a decade, and it is timed without a calculator. I live in Indy so I didnít stay at a hotel but there are a few brand new ones within a half mile of the training faculty.

Bruce has a really good write up about it in a previous post and my experience pretty much mimicked his. Good luck!

sflpilot
08-04-2018, 07:54 AM

There is so much exposure to the pilot applicant with this deal itís unbelievable. I mean they are signing people up for an adjustable rate loan in an environment where there really is no where to go but up. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that part of it. Explore your opportunities of which there are many to become an airline pilot.

ItnStln
08-06-2018, 03:47 PM
I purchased a COMPASS kit from https://www.jobtestprep.com/ (https://www.jobtestprep.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=JTP.com%) and its pretty good; 45 Euro's.

I stayed at the Hilton Gardens - its a Holiday Inn with a Fancy Name...best part is that it is 0.4 miles from Republic's building.

I posted an earlier review of my visit....It may help you out. The only thing that was a challenge was the math. Not because it was overly difficlut, but because I havent practiced those skills in a decade.

If you have any other questions, hit me up. Also, I believe DefTone has been as well and can help out with his experience, too.

Best of luck, my friend.

//Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I couldnít find the COMPASS on the link you provided. Would you mind posting a link to the COMPASS prep?

ItnStln
08-06-2018, 03:48 PM
I used some of the free ones and still managed to pass. As Bruce pointed out the most difficult part was the math and that was mainly because like him I havenít practiced those skills in over a decade, and it is timed without a calculator. I live in Indy so I didnít stay at a hotel but there are a few brand new ones within a half mile of the training faculty.

Bruce has a really good write up about it in a previous post and my experience pretty much mimicked his. Good luck!

Thanks! What kind of math was on the exam and was the calculator provided or do I have to provide my own?

JayD
08-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks! What kind of math was on the exam and was the calculator provided or do I have to provide my own?

Math like this: https://www.testprepreview.com/compass_practice.htm

Except itís not multiple choice. You have to provide the answer. Calculators are not allowed so everything is by hand. You get scratch paper and a pen. Thatís it... when you go in the room they ask that you put your phone in a basket.

ItnStln
08-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Math like this: https://www.testprepreview.com/compass_practice.htm

Except itís not multiple choice. You have to provide the answer. Calculators are not allowed so everything is by hand. You get scratch paper and a pen. Thatís it... when you go in the room they ask that you put your phone in a basket.

Thanks, Iíll check that link out!

ItnStln
08-14-2018, 07:59 AM
For those that have attended the LIFT Academy do they have a place to store luggage for those who checked out of the hotel and fly out after the interview?

GoJuice
08-14-2018, 08:12 AM
I used pilotaptitudetest.com to study for the exam and felt that it was overkill. probably 3/4 of what i studied was not on the test and was much more modern than the actual test. In regards to the math, i wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure you brush up on your multiplication, long division, percentages, and basic algebra as you will have to work everything out without a calculator. The math was the hardest part to me simply because i cant remember the last time i had to do math without a calculator. Everyone with LIFT/Republic has been very helpful and accommodating throughout the entire process. Best of luck!

sflpilot
08-14-2018, 09:22 AM
I used pilotaptitudetest.com to study for the exam and felt that it was overkill. probably 3/4 of what i studied was not on the test and was much more modern than the actual test. In regards to the math, i wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure you brush up on your multiplication, long division, percentages, and basic algebra as you will have to work everything out without a calculator. The math was the hardest part to me simply because i cant remember the last time i had to do math without a calculator. Everyone with LIFT/Republic has been very helpful and accommodating throughout the entire process. Best of luck!

They should be using some other more effective types of testing. Your success as a 121 pilot really lies with being able to think quickly, think ahead, memorization, common sense and judgment.The 170/175 series aircraft is extremely automated you wonít be doing long division in the cockpit.

GoJuice
08-14-2018, 09:31 AM
They should be using some other more effective types of testing. Your success as a 121 pilot really lies with being able to think quickly, think ahead, memorization, common sense and judgment.The 170/175 series aircraft is extremely automated you wonít be doing long division in the cockpit.

They do test for other things such as Spatial awareness, multi-tasking, etc. I was just pointing the math portion out as that's what was asked about and is what i had the most trouble with.

JayD
08-14-2018, 01:57 PM

As GoJuice stated there was much more to it than just the math. For reference I think the math part was a 12 minute (timed) section of the testing which took around 2 hours total to complete. Almost all the rest of the stuff is pilot oriented and more like what you suggested.

JayD
08-14-2018, 02:03 PM
For those that have attended the LIFT Academy do they have a place to store luggage for those who checked out of the hotel and fly out after the interview?

Iím sure they will accommodate you. Theyíll might even let you roll it in the testing room with you. If not, when I was there they were all hanging out in a conference room just outside the testing room where Iím sure you could store it. They monitor the testing room with video so thereís not much risk in allowing you to take the stuff in the room. I wouldnít worry about it too much.

deftone
08-14-2018, 04:39 PM
So it seems like quite a few people have been up to Indy now, has anyone actually accepted the offer to go to LIFT? I met one guy on Facebook who is going but so far it seems like most are looking at other options.

GoJuice
08-14-2018, 06:20 PM
So it seems like quite a few people have been up to Indy now, has anyone actually accepted the offer to go to LIFT? I met one guy on Facebook who is going but so far it seems like most are looking at other options.

I will be starting in November.

deftone
08-14-2018, 06:23 PM
I will be starting in November.

Congrats! Make sure and keep us informed on how its going! I will be jealous of those sweet air-conditioned Diamonds when Im bouncing around in my 172 here in the Louisiana heat!

sflpilot
08-14-2018, 06:33 PM

As they should be. When it's all said and done most of these people will have a debt of about $150,000 including interest. I have tried to provide educational info because I realize we have new people that don't fully understand how this industry works. You could go train at Joe's Podunk flying school and walk away with the same certificates for pennies on the dollar of Lift and have offers from almost every regional in existence including Republic. Don't let them trick you with this whole thing about how they will train you to a higher standard, they won't. Every school has the same brand new CFI's on staff. That is an old tired argument that has been used ever since I started flying 18 years ago. They didn't even bother to secure fixed interest rate financing for the applicants. When I read from one of the applicants that it was a variable rate loan I had to read it three more times because I could not believe it. I feel like i'm at the used car lot dealing with this.

dbdevkc
08-14-2018, 06:52 PM
The impression I got from some previous posters was their current jobs had 100k plus income. If you keep your current job you could cash flow the training for less money at a school at your local airport. Also, some of the regionals are reimbursing for certain amounts of flight training costs. The industry may get to a point soon where they will have to cover the entire cost of your training.

Something doesn't sound right about all this. The financing sounds fishy. And why, if someone is making $100+K/year, wouldn't you simply pay as you go at an FBO. To quit your 6-figure job and take out a $50-$60K loan for a $60k salaried job 18 months down the road? I am not sure we are still getting the full story.

GoJuice
08-14-2018, 06:54 PM
As they should be. When it's all said and done most of these people will have a debt of about $150,000 including interest. I have tried to provide educational info because I realize we have new people that don't fully understand how this industry works. You could go train at Joe's Podunk flying school and walk away with the same certificates for pennies on the dollar of Lift and have offers from almost every regional in existence including Republic. Don't let them trick you with this whole thing about how they will train you to a higher standard, they won't. Every school has the same brand new CFI's on staff. That is an old tired argument that has been used ever since I started flying 18 years ago. They didn't even bother to secure fixed interest rate financing for the applicants. When I read from one of the applicants that it was a variable rate loan I had to read it three more times because I could not believe it. I feel like i'm at the used car lot dealing with this.

Iím sorry, how exactly did you come up with 150,000? The cost of the program is 65,000. Even if interest rates become astronomical it wonít come close to that.

GoJuice
08-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Congrats! Make sure and keep us informed on how its going! I will be jealous of those sweet air-conditioned Diamonds when Im bouncing around in my 172 here in the Louisiana heat!

Thank you! Iím looking forward to it as Iím used to 152 flying in muggy St. Louis summers.

deftone
08-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Iím sorry, how exactly did you come up with 150,000? The cost of the program is 65,000. Even if interest rates become astronomical it wonít come close to that.

It works out to around $105k using todays interest rates if you take the full 10 years to repay. I posted a breakdown further back on the thread. Thats already $850 per month so I cant imagine many having the spare cash to pay off early at CFI/Regional FO salaries.

If interest rates increase then who knows what you will end up paying..... And over a 10 years span you have to assume that at some point they will be higher than todays rates.

GoJuice
08-15-2018, 04:14 AM
It works out to around $105k using todays interest rates if you take the full 10 years to repay. I posted a breakdown further back on the thread. Thats already $850 per month so I cant imagine many having the spare cash to pay off early at CFI/Regional FO salaries.

If interest rates increase then who knows what you will end up paying..... And over a 10 years span you have to assume that at some point they will be higher than todays rates.

Yea my plan is to re-finance as soon as possible to get a fixed interest rate. I have also heard rumors that LIFT will be offering 15K in loan assistance while students are instructing and the first few months as FO. If true that will help tremendously.

sflpilot
08-15-2018, 05:41 AM
Iíve said this before about the cost of flight training but I will reiterate. Itís not just a fixed cost, everyone will require different amounts of hours to qualify to pass the checkrides. If they just gave you a fixed price they would be giving many people free training on some level. I worked for these people for several years and I can tell you thatís not how they operate.I believe they are going to be training in a DA40, those things are not cheap.

deftone
08-15-2018, 05:54 AM
I have also heard rumors that LIFT will be offering 15K in loan assistance while students are instructing and the first few months as FO. If true that will help tremendously.

They cover the first $15k of monthly repayments for some students, then you take over from $15k. I dont think they are offering it to everyone.

ItnStln
08-15-2018, 10:23 AM
They cover the first $15k of monthly repayments for some students, then you take over from $15k. I dont think they are offering it to everyone.

Who is that $15k offered to?

ItnStln
08-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Iím sure they will accommodate you. Theyíll might even let you roll it in the testing room with you. If not, when I was there they were all hanging out in a conference room just outside the testing room where Iím sure you could store it. They monitor the testing room with video so thereís not much risk in allowing you to take the stuff in the room. I wouldnít worry about it too much.

Thanks! I might only stay the night before so I might just have a backpack. What were people wearing to the interview when you were there and what would you recommend to wear? I plan on wearing a suit but I donít know if thatís appropriate or not.

deftone
08-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Who is that $15k offered to?

I have no idea the criteria, I know quite a large percentage of those I have spoken to seem to have been offered it.

sflpilot
08-15-2018, 02:32 PM
I have no idea the criteria, I know quite a large percentage of those I have spoken to seem to have been offered it.

Why is there a question and all of these games over who is being offered what? Everywhere flight training is a per hour cost. It doesnít seem to matter who you are. Get educated about this industry. I have posted ad nausaem on these forums about this.

JayD
08-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Why is there a question and all of these games over who is being offered what? Everywhere flight training is a per hour cost. It doesnít seem to matter who you are. Get educated about this industry. I have posted ad nausaem on these forums about this.

Because this isnít the same as everywhere else. A lot of the loan assistance stuff comes from grants by the city of Indy paid either to Republic or LIFT (Iím not sure of the exact details) which then passes it on to the students. The $15k for initial loan assistance seems to be offered to everyone at the moment but the feeling I got was that it was limited to the first few initial classes. Maybe the first year of classes? Iím not sure as they didnít specify and Iím not even sure they know exactly yet since they (LIFT) arenít the ones controlling it. Regardless of if you pay cash or if you use their loan provider you are eligible for the $15k in loan assistance.

Iím waiting to get the details in writing as so far Iíve only discussed it in person and over the phone with them. They said I should be receiving an email about it shortly.

JayD
08-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Thanks! I might only stay the night before so I might just have a backpack. What were people wearing to the interview when you were there and what would you recommend to wear? I plan on wearing a suit but I donít know if thatís appropriate or not.

I wore a suit and didnít feel out of place. One of the other guys in the testing room had one on too and the other one was business casual. If you look up thread youíll see where I already asked the same question before my interview.

Right now Iím scheduled for a class next May but they offered for me to start as soon as November if I wanted too.

ItnStln
08-15-2018, 05:45 PM

Thanks! Hopefully Iíll get offered it.

ItnStln
08-15-2018, 05:47 PM
I wore a suit and didnít feel out of place. One of the other guys in the testing room had one on too and the other one was business casual. If you look up thread youíll see where I already asked the same question before my interview.

Right now Iím scheduled for a class next May but they offered for me to start as soon as November if I wanted too.

Thanks, a suit it is! Out of curiousity what was the guy wearing business casual wearing?

GoJuice
08-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Thanks, a suit it is! Out of curiousity what was the guy wearing business casual wearing?

When I was there, someone was wearing Khakiís and a polo. I went with a suit as I viewed it more as an interview for a first officer position down the road.

JayD
08-15-2018, 06:19 PM

Khakis/chinos and a button up.

ItnStln
08-15-2018, 06:50 PM
When I was there, someone was wearing Khakiís and a polo. I went with a suit as I viewed it more as an interview for a first officer position down the road.

That makes sense, thanks!

ItnStln
08-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Khakis/chinos and a button up.

Thanks! Iím planning on a suit but was exploring backup options as well.

Boing797
08-16-2018, 08:59 AM
How long did you all wait to get an answer from LIFT, after the interview and testing in Indy?
Also, from what I understand, the 15k is offered as tuition reimbursement from Republic.

JayD
08-16-2018, 09:15 AM
How long did you all wait to get an answer from LIFT, after the interview and testing in Indy?
Also, from what I understand, the 15k is offered as tuition reimbursement from Republic.

I recieved an acceptance email the next day but I also went on a Thursday afternoon.

GoJuice
08-16-2018, 09:31 AM

I interviewed pretty early on so i am sure it has changed for those that are just now applying. I received my acceptance email a little over two weeks after the in person interview.

Lostboys97
08-17-2018, 06:55 AM

This program is being financed by the same banks that finance the ATP flight school programs. They are NOT student loans, therefore will have interest rates of 10% and higher, and are variable. The total cost will end up being will north of $115k. I wouldnít put that kind of debt on myself and be forced into Republic as my only employment option.

ItnStln
08-17-2018, 07:06 AM
This program is being financed by the same banks that finance the ATP flight school programs. They are NOT student loans, therefore will have interest rates of 10% and higher, and are variable. The total cost will end up being will north of $115k. I wouldnít put that kind of debt on myself and be forced into Republic as my only employment option.

Since it isnít a student loan does that mean one can declare bankruptcy on it?

Lostboys97
08-17-2018, 07:24 AM

I suppose. If thatís what you want on your credit history.

JetDoc
08-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Don't they teach ethics in college anymore? Honestly..

ItnStln
08-17-2018, 12:03 PM
I suppose. If thatís what you want on your credit history.

Iím sure if someone were to do that they wouldnít be the only airline pilot with a bankruptcy on their credit history.

ItnStln
08-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Don't they teach ethics in college anymore? Honestly..

I was just curious, id never actually do that. But no, they donít teach ethics in undergrad and so far in grad school they havenít taught it.

4V14T0R
08-17-2018, 12:12 PM
I was just curious, id never actually do that. But no, they donít teach ethics in undergrad and so far in grad school they havenít taught it.

What are you studying? Anything business related should be teaching it.

JayD
08-17-2018, 01:16 PM

They definitely had an ethics class as one of our core requirements when I got my MBA. Iím pretty sure I had ethics in undergrad too.

ItnStln
08-17-2018, 01:18 PM
What are you studying? Anything business related should be teaching it.

My undergrad was business admin and for grad school Iím working on my MBA. I agree they should be teaching ethics but it wasnít a requirement or even an option.

ItnStln
08-17-2018, 01:24 PM
They definitely had an ethics class as one of our core requirements when I got my MBA. Iím pretty sure I had ethics in undergrad too.

I donít for my MBA and there wasnít a requirement or even an option to take an ethics course for my undergrad business admin degree. But Iíve been in business long enough to have picked up on ethics. I asked what I asked out of curiousity and not as a plan.

GoJuice
08-20-2018, 06:09 AM
Since I will officially be starting in November, I would like to get a head start on studying for my PPL written. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be best to study? LIFT will be using Jeppesen course material however I don't want to purchase anything now as it is included in the cost of the program. I already own "pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge" and "airplane flying handbook" from previous training.

sparksfly
08-20-2018, 08:51 AM
Since I will officially be starting in November, I would like to get a head start on studying for my PPL written. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be best to study? LIFT will be using Jeppesen course material however I don't want to purchase anything now as it is included in the cost of the program. I already own "pilot's handbook of aeronautical knowledge" and "airplane flying handbook" from previous training.

Same class as me!

GoJuice
08-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Same class as me!

Good deal! I'm excited to get started.

deftone
08-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot is basically the bible for aviators. I highly recommend. Many use it for interview prep etc. It is quite good at describing everything.

ItnStln
08-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot is basically the bible for aviators. I highly recommend. Many use it for interview prep etc. It is quite good at describing everything.

Iíll check it out, thanks. Hopefully itíll help with my interview.

I just checked and only saw it as a book, not an ebook. Do you know if an ebook is available?

JayD
08-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Iíll check it out, thanks. Hopefully itíll help with my interview.

I just checked and only saw it as a book, not an ebook. Do you know if an ebook is available?

They have an iPad version available through the app store:

EVERYTHING Explained for the Professional Pilot - The #1 BEST SELLING aviation reference book (http://aviation-press.com/)

ItnStln
08-20-2018, 04:08 PM

EVERYTHING Explained for the Professional Pilot - The #1 BEST SELLING aviation reference book (http://aviation-press.com/)

Thanks, I missed that somehow.

deftone
08-20-2018, 06:31 PM

The ipad app is the one I use. Works well and they used to have a sample in the app (not sure if they still do)

Making it Count
08-20-2018, 07:37 PM

All you need to do to pass the written is get the asa test prep on iPad (not sure if itís on other tablets or not). Study each question once through with only looking at the correct answer. After that take the practice tests over and over again until you get 3 90s and then go get a endorsement to take the test and then take the test. You will get to the point where you wonít even have to read the question and youíll just click on the correct answer. You can get it done in less than a week if you really try hard at it.

For any other written besides private get Sheppard air test prep. They donít have private test prep is why I suggest asa.

ItnStln
08-21-2018, 07:51 AM
The ipad app is the one I use. Works well and they used to have a sample in the app (not sure if they still do)

They do, I finally got it downloaded to my iPad. I havenít had a chance to start reading the sample because Iím reading some articles for grad school.

Futurepilot73
08-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Hey guys! I just got my email for the in person interview. I'm excited to say the least. I've been reading through the posts and was wondering that some of you had a Skype interview. Apparently they skipped that part with me. Anyone else? Is that a new thing? I also applied and took the assessment for American Airlines academy too. But I haven't heard back yet. I applied for both programs at the same time about a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone else? Thanks!

ItnStln
08-29-2018, 07:02 PM
I had my interview with LIFT today if anyone has questions.

sflpilot
08-29-2018, 08:34 PM
I had my interview with LIFT today if anyone has questions.

Why does everyone act like they owe Lift academy something by interviewing? Flight schools take who ever shows up with money. Believe me you will pay for every cent of your flight training.

ItnStln
08-30-2018, 03:47 AM
Why does everyone act like they owe Lift academy something by interviewing? Flight schools take who ever shows up with money. Believe me you will pay for every cent of your flight training.

I didnít feel I owed LIFT Academy something when I interviewed.

SoFloFlyer
08-30-2018, 07:18 PM
I didnít feel I owed LIFT Academy something when I interviewed.

Donít sweat it, the point went completely over his head, dude

ItnStln
08-31-2018, 07:54 AM
Donít sweat it, the point went completely over his head, dude

I guess so.

deftone
08-31-2018, 03:34 PM
The first class starts next week. Anyone on here going?

fenix1
08-31-2018, 10:49 PM
sflpilot, thank you for the nuggets youíve given on this thread - youíve provided great mentorship here. Sadly, much of it seems to have fallen on deaf ears, but Iíll be running - sprinting - away from this program: there is zero reason to lock into RPA (what is the upside/benefit to doing this?????) and there are plenty of more cost-effective options available for primary training than LIFT. I may yet apply to RPA when I reach ATP mins - I have plenty of work to do to get to that point which means that each of the regional airlines could/will be in a VERY different spot than today - but, in all honesty, Iíve lost some respect for RPA as a company as details of this program have emerged through ďintervieweeĒ accounts on this thread versus what had been loosely communicated previously by RPA (now recognized as nothing more than ďcreativeĒ marketing & PR work, unfortunately).

To those who pursue LIFT, good luck...and I fear youíll need it. PLEASE re-read sflpilotís posts on this thread and think critically about it all!

Swakid8
09-01-2018, 05:28 AM
Sflpilot has a good point, one can train at a local airport for cheaper than you will be able to a lift. Once a person earns their private pilot certificate, I even recommend buying a cheap plane with a partner and do some time building and training in until they earn all of their certificates then sell the plane. Guarantee, a person will come out paying less then they would have at lift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

therealbrucelee
09-01-2018, 05:31 PM
I, too, am passing. I will likely bump into some of you at Sandhills or SkyLense.

To those going forward with LIFT, good luck!

deftone
09-02-2018, 10:11 AM
I, too, am passing. I will likely bump into some of you at Sandhills or SkyLense.

Im going to AK instead of survey, so I will just see you at American in a few years instead:D

ItnStln
09-02-2018, 01:42 PM

I want to apologize for not getting what you're saying at first. You're absolutely right and for that reason I am passing on LIFT Academy. If it were at a major I might do it but realistically I can still go to Republic if I choose.

therealbrucelee
09-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Im going to AK instead of survey, so I will just see you at American in a few years instead:D

You get on with RAVN?

ItnStln
09-05-2018, 01:12 PM
You get on with RAVN?

Whatís RAVN?

SoFloFlyer
09-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Whatís RAVN?

Itís a 135/121 in Alaska. One of the few companies that hire 250 hour pilots into the right seat of a C208 on the 135 side.

ItnStln
09-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Itís a 135/121 in Alaska. One of the few companies that hire 250 hour pilots into the right seat of a C208 on the 135 side.

Thanks! You only need 250 hours for 135, right?

SoFloFlyer
09-05-2018, 10:15 PM

I think itís 300 to be exact, but donít quote me. And that low time is for the right seat of a plane that doesnít require 2 (ie C208), but company Op Specs allow it thius allowing you to log SIC time in a single pilot airplane

ItnStln
09-06-2018, 04:51 AM
I think itís 300 to be exact, but donít quote me. And that low time is for the right seat of a plane that doesnít require 2 (ie C208), but company Op Specs allow it thius allowing you to log SIC time in a single pilot airplane

Thanks!
filler

dera
09-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Only when flying IFR though. VFR, can't log a thing (legally).

Viking6
09-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Hopefully the first day isnít an indication of how this thing will go. Maybe brush up on the AOPA runway incursion program.

therealbrucelee
09-06-2018, 11:47 AM
First week of LIFT training - any news?

Viking6
09-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Probably not a good idea to use KIND as home airport. ďAdvise when youíre ready to copy numberĒ was heard on tower freq at least once.

ORD170
09-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Probably not a good idea to use KIND as home airport. ďAdvise when youíre ready to copy numberĒ was heard on tower freq at least once.

I believe today was their first day of flying ops. They have a solid management team, so I suspect they will do great long term. The people in charge are most definitely not ďold republicĒ. Hopefully the CFI fills out ASAP though.

deftone
09-06-2018, 12:50 PM

for PIC its 500hrs for 135 VFR and 1200hrs for 135 IFR. You can fly pt 91 at 250.

deftone
09-06-2018, 12:51 PM
You get on with RAVN?

Looks like I got a gig at Grant once I sit my commercial checkride in the next few weeks. I have a buddy flying there and the have been talking to the CP in the last few weeks.

deftone
09-06-2018, 12:53 PM
And that low time is for the right seat of a plane that doesnít require 2 (ie C208), but company Op Specs allow it thius allowing you to log SIC time in a single pilot airplane

Doesnt the new FAA rule change allow it all to be logged regardless of Op Specs etc?

ItnStln
09-06-2018, 01:00 PM
for PIC its 500hrs for 135 VFR and 1200hrs for 135 IFR. You can fly pt 91 at 250.

I thought 91 was general aviation?

Swakid8
09-06-2018, 03:20 PM

You can hired on with a 135 operator with a wet commercial as an FO. 500 to be an VFR CA in 135 and 1200 for IFR CA

ItnStln
09-06-2018, 03:53 PM
You can hired on with a 135 operator with a wet commercial as an FO. 500 to be an VFR CA in 135 and 1200 for IFR CA

Thanks, I figured I was missing something!

ItnStln
09-06-2018, 03:55 PM
I have a coworker who interviewed with LIFT and was accepted. On my video interview I was told Republic would co-sign the loans if we required a co-signer. My coworker found out this is NOT the case so I just thought Iíd give everyone a heads up.

deftone
09-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Things like Survey, flying skydivers, pipeline patrol, banner tow etc all come under 91.

deftone
09-06-2018, 06:04 PM
First week of LIFT training - any news?

Rumor has it there were two runway incursions on the first day flying by LIFT aircraft. Seen it posted in a few forums/facebook groups now.

ItnStln
09-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Things like Survey, flying skydivers, pipeline patrol, banner tow etc all come under 91.

Thanks, I didnít know that! Do you know of any pipeline patrol gigs in West Virginia? I looked but wasnít able to find anything.

therealbrucelee
09-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Rumor has it there were two runway incursions on the first day flying by LIFT aircraft. Seen it posted in a few forums/facebook groups now.

I mean, at some point you can expect one.....

sflpilot
09-06-2018, 11:12 PM
I believe today was their first day of flying ops. They have a solid management team, so I suspect they will do great long term. The people in charge are most definitely not ďold republicĒ. Hopefully the CFI fills out ASAP though.

I did some research and the ASAP program I think is not for flight schools. They would need the ASRS form which still allows for a violation, but no suspension. ASAP involves a commitee at the airline with FAA and management. ASRS is just an online form any pilot can submit.

Viking6
09-06-2018, 11:14 PM

Thatís the rumor. I think one was a take off without clearance. Probably not a smart idea to conduct training out of KIND. Still the CFIs should have known better.

dera
09-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Looks like I got a gig at Grant once I sit my commercial checkride in the next few weeks. I have a buddy flying there and the have been talking to the CP in the last few weeks.

Let us know if you actually get it - Alaska is competitive unless you have a very strong internal rec.

Dwwhite06
10-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Has anyone heard anything else on the LIFT Academy since classes started?

TheWeatherman
10-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Inside the company the pilots really haven't heard anything. Just a fluff piece that was released publicly and a picture of the first students. No details.

Viking6
10-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Rough start with the First week. Things are running smoothly now, and they would like 300+ per year through the program.

MrFriendly7
10-05-2018, 12:45 PM
If LIFT was out when I started. I would do it.

SilentLurker
10-05-2018, 02:54 PM
If LIFT was out when I started. I would do it.

Same here! LIFT program is a God send for so many. Iím sure the entitlement generation wonít see how great an opportunity this is.

Iím glad RPA did this, great move by the company and organization.

Itís not for everyone. Iím not at RPA but encouraging my friends to join LIFT.

deftone
10-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Hey LIFT folks, I know a few on here have started now, was just curious how you were enjoying it so far? I seen the first wave are up thru their Solos now.

adamhope95
11-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Is there anyone in the program that doesn't mind if I send them a message? I got invited to interview and would like to pick a brain!

WaveFinder
01-31-2019, 07:03 AM
I interviewed a little while ago and got accepted but the acceptance package did not have a ton of information in it. I've read several articles about there being a possibility of sponsorship opportunities. Does anyone know anything about that? TIA

JayD
01-31-2019, 07:45 AM
I interviewed a little while ago and got accepted but the acceptance package did not have a ton of information in it. I've read several articles about there being a possibility of sponsorship opportunities. Does anyone know anything about that? TIA

I donít know anything about any sponsorship opportunities. Iíd recommend you reach out to LIFT directly. There should be a contact name on the from label of the packet they sent you. If you donít have it PM me and I can send you one.

GoJuice
01-31-2019, 07:55 AM
I was accepted to LIFT however wasnt able to attend due to various reasons.. If i am remembering correctly the sponsorship is more of a loan assistance program. LIFT pays back 15K of your loan while you are in school and a CFI.

WaveFinder
01-31-2019, 08:40 AM
I donít know anything about any sponsorship opportunities. Iíd recommend you reach out to LIFT directly. There should be a contact name on the from label of the packet they sent you. If you donít have it PM me and I can send you one.

Thanks, I will check to see.

WaveFinder
01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
I was accepted to LIFT however wasnt able to attend due to various reasons.. If i am remembering correctly the sponsorship is more of a loan assistance program. LIFT pays back 15K of your loan while you are in school and a CFI.

I think the loan assistance is separate, we spoke about that in the interview. I was expecting more about finances in the packet they sent but nothing was there other than the instructions to apply for the loan.

JayD
01-31-2019, 09:01 AM

The 15K loan assistance is for 12-18 months as a CFI and up to 36 months as an FO. Itís not distributed until youíre a CFI. Itís essentially like a new hire bonus because you get it whether you pay cash out of pocket, use their loan provider, or use some other loan provider.

Viking6
01-31-2019, 10:51 AM
The 15K loan assistance is for 12-18 months as a CFI and up to 36 months as an FO. Itís not distributed until youíre a CFI. Itís essentially like a new hire bonus because you get it whether you pay cash out of pocket, use their loan provider, or use some other loan provider.

Iím flying with a FA who got accepted, and thatís what he is saying. He said they told him a 670 credit score for their loan provider. They get closer to 30K for loan forgiveness though.

deftone
01-31-2019, 12:04 PM
Iím flying with a FA who got accepted, and thatís what he is saying. He said they told him a 670 credit score for their loan provider. They get closer to 30K for loan forgiveness though.

The minimum requirement for credit score is 620.

WaveFinder
01-31-2019, 12:50 PM
The minimum requirement for credit score is 620.

It says 660 but to add a co-signer if you were denied its 620-659. But the loan is pretty expensive with a variable rate. I am probably going going to try and go through another provider.

deftone
01-31-2019, 01:15 PM
It says 660 but to add a co-signer if you were denied its 620-659. But the loan is pretty expensive with a variable rate. I am probably going going to try and go through another provider.

Cool, it must have changed. When they sent me the paperwork way back last year it just said 620, nothing else. I guess they updated it. I know the contract has been updated a few times too.

Random Task
05-18-2019, 04:32 AM
Former student of mine is going to interview with Lift to finish his training. Anyone have a gouge on what the student interview process involves? Thanks

Viking6
05-18-2019, 05:03 AM
Former student of mine is going to interview with Lift to finish his training. Anyone have a gouge on what the student interview process involves? Thanks

Compass test (examples online), HR emphasis. Have him listen to the pod cast that was done a couple weeks ago. Itís on Pilot to Pilot. Links on here somewhere. Very similar to pilot interview, minus the tech. They do modify depending on experience.

GoJuice
05-18-2019, 05:09 AM
When I went through, which was at the beginning of the program. It consisted of a video interview followed by an in person HR interview and compass test. Thereís not a whole lot of prep that can be done for the compass test. I paid $75 for a course and almost none of it was on the test. Have them practice their math skills (long division, simple algebra) also will want to know basic aerodynamics.

Pilotair
06-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Do CFIís and students get a seniority or longevity number at Republic? For example, will a student pilot jump above hundreds of other OTS hires once they make it to Republic?

TheWeatherman
06-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Do CFI’s and students get a seniority or longevity number at Republic? For example, will a student pilot jump above hundreds of other OTS hires once they make it to Republic?

Absolutely not, the Union would never stand for that. Especially after they got hoodwinked by the whole Lift thing to begin with.

Pilotair
06-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Absolutely not, the Union would never stand for that. Especially after they got hoodwinked by the whole Lift thing to begin with.

Ok good, I was given bad info then.

deftone
06-25-2019, 09:40 PM

What was the Union hoodwinked about with Lift? I cannot really see why they would care about Lift either way, except perhaps taking less pressure off of the recruiter trying to fill classes which in turn reduces leverage for the new contract?

170driver
06-26-2019, 07:39 AM

The negotiations committee knew about LIFT during the LOA negotiations, they were under an NDA. They didnít get hoodwinked at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheWeatherman
06-26-2019, 09:23 AM
I am aware that they knew and signed an NDA. By hoodwinked I mean that by either the company holding back key information or through shear incompetence the union did not realize the leverage we had.

If they did we could have had Endeavor or better rates. Instead now that the company has its crown jewel we have almost zero leverage for the next round of negotiations. If you worked here you would know that Lift has left a sour taste in the pilot group.

stabapch
06-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Do CFIís and students get a seniority or longevity number at Republic? For example, will a student pilot jump above hundreds of other OTS hires once they make it to Republic?

They do not get a seniority number until hired by Republic due to the union.

The company is however reserving 50 percent of all new hire classes to Lift candidates as this was agreed to by the union.

TangoIndiaMike1
06-27-2019, 01:43 AM
I am aware that they knew and signed an NDA. By hoodwinked I mean that by either the company holding back key information or through shear incompetence the union did not realize the leverage we had.

If they did we could have had Endeavor or better rates. Instead now that the company has its crown jewel we have almost zero leverage for the next round of negotiations. If you worked here you would know that Lift has left a sour taste in the pilot group.

The academy was gonna happen no matter what. Nothing in our contract before or after you voted no stopped it from happening. I kind of like the idea of the academy. When the ď pilot shortageĒ happens turnovers going to be so high at all the regionals that the lift academy wonít be able to keep up.

TheWeatherman
06-27-2019, 08:43 AM
The academy was gonna happen no matter what. Nothing in our contract before or after you voted no stopped it from happening. I kind of like the idea of the academy. When the “ pilot shortage” happens turnovers going to be so high at all the regionals that the lift academy won’t be able to keep up.

Yep, that seems to be what the old scheduling keeps telling themselves. They did the best they could I’m sure, but they were simply outclassed.

salhnl
07-02-2019, 09:41 PM
Whatever the going rate is for CFIís in IND. I wouldnít expect anything more from them.

Is there any updates up to what the compensation is for CFI's? Specifically those that are hired from the outside the academy?

STOL
07-03-2019, 03:26 AM
Is there any updates up to what the compensation is for CFI's? Specifically those that are hired from the outside the academy?
Long time lurker first time poster, and current lift CFI. 30k/year salary and med., vision, dental, 401k available. Not sure how we can afford those benefits on that pay but it's there if you want it. Pay is same if hired within or outside of lift.

SoFloFlyer
07-03-2019, 03:42 AM
Long time lurker first time poster, and current lift CFI. 30k/year salary and med., vision, dental, 401k available. Not sure how we can afford those benefits on that pay but it's there if you want it. Pay is same if hired within or outside of lift.

Thatís not tooooo bad. I make 33k/yr at my school with pay raises at certain hour marks, but I also live in South Florida so housing is stupid expensive.

salhnl
07-03-2019, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the update. I suppose coming from the outside you are not subject to the cadet interview process? Is it fair to say you are guarantee an FO position once you get to 1500 even if you are hired from the outside?

JayD
07-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the update. I suppose coming from the outside you are not subject to the cadet interview process? Is it fair to say you are guarantee an FO position once you get to 1500 even if you are hired from the outside?

CFIs go through a typical CFI type of interview and to my knowledge they are not guaranteed an FO position at RPA. They need to interview for it just like a normal street hire. However, many of them interviewed at RPA first, received a CJO and were then asked if they wanted to interview for a CFI position at LIFT.

lightspeed12
07-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Do the CFI's get flight benefits? I've read somewhere that they do as they are republic employees (?).

Also, I applied online last week (I have 0 hours) and haven't heard back yet. How long should I expect to wait? Thanks

JayD
07-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Do the CFI's get flight benefits? I've read somewhere that they do as they are republic employees (?).

Also, I applied online last week (I have 0 hours) and haven't heard back yet. How long should I expect to wait? Thanks

No, CFIs do not receive flight benefits. We donít get those until moving to Republic.

Not sure on your second question. Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

lightspeed12
07-16-2019, 04:34 AM
No, CFIs do not receive flight benefits. We donít get those until moving to Republic.

Not sure on your second question. Someone else will have to chime in on that one.

Really? I was really counting on having the benefits .. based on exchanging some messages with a current Lift student, my understanding was that the off-street CFIs don't get the flight benefits , but the ones that will eventually graduate from the cadet program will get the benefits.

Also, I was doing some math yesterday... Lift says that the students complete their program in 12 months and the CFIs in 18 months. This doesn't add up to me. Each student needs 300 hours (roughly) so that's 25 hours per month. The CFIs need 1200 hours in 18 months so that's 67 hours per month. Therefore there should be 67/25 = 2.7 students for each CFI in order to reach this advertised schedule... This ratio would make sense at a typical flight school, or at ATP, because there are many students that do not stay around and become CFIs. However, in the case of Lift, I imagine that most students will stay. So, what am I missing?

FlyingDawgg
07-16-2019, 09:05 AM
The CFI's with flight benefits were probably Republic Ambassador's before they worked for LIFT. But if the ambassador's leave the school they recruit for then they're supposed to lose those benefits.

JayD
07-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Really? I was really counting on having the benefits .. based on exchanging some messages with a current Lift student, my understanding was that the off-street CFIs don't get the flight benefits , but the ones that will eventually graduate from the cadet program will get the benefits.

Also, I was doing some math yesterday... Lift says that the students complete their program in 12 months and the CFIs in 18 months. This doesn't add up to me. Each student needs 300 hours (roughly) so that's 25 hours per month. The CFIs need 1200 hours in 18 months so that's 67 hours per month. Therefore there should be 67/25 = 2.7 students for each CFI in order to reach this advertised schedule... This ratio would make sense at a typical flight school, or at ATP, because there are many students that do not stay around and become CFIs. However, in the case of Lift, I imagine that most students will stay. So, what am I missing?

Maybe something will change and weíll get flight benefits but as of now we donít. The other LIFT employees all get flight bennies but the CFIs donít.

I think what youíre missing is not everyone starts at the same point and not everyone progresses at the same speed. For instance I started in Feb with PVT and am about to wrap up commercial this week. Another guy I started with in Feb also had his PVT and is just now finishing IFR. Another one came in with only needing CFI and heís now a CFI.

lightspeed12
07-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Maybe something will change and weíll get flight benefits but as of now we donít. The other LIFT employees all get flight bennies but the CFIs donít.

I think what youíre missing is not everyone starts at the same point and not everyone progresses at the same speed. For instance I started in Feb with PVT and am about to wrap up commercial this week. Another guy I started with in Feb also had his PVT and is just now finishing IFR. Another one came in with only needing CFI and heís now a CFI.

In that case, are students able to go through the training faster than the advertised 12 months? I've read that the training at LIFT is not too bad when spaced out over a year and students are somewhat encouraged to do a part time job on the side. I would rather speed things up and get it done in 9 months (like ATP) if possible.

stabapch
07-23-2019, 10:53 AM
In that case, are students able to go through the training faster than the advertised 12 months? I've read that the training at LIFT is not too bad when spaced out over a year and students are somewhat encouraged to do a part time job on the side. I would rather speed things up and get it done in 9 months (like ATP) if possible.

Probably unlikely with IND weather

FlyingDawgg
07-23-2019, 11:07 AM

*RUMOR* As LIFT grows they will move out of their facility (as it's leased through Signature at IND) and move somewhere that has good weather. The rumor I heard was out West. This comes from an employee at LIFT.

IDrive175
07-23-2019, 01:46 PM

Freaking IFR every day there

TheWeatherman
07-23-2019, 02:07 PM
And you'll never get the wind low enough to solo out west. The grass is not always greener. I had more wx cancellations in Florida during the Spring then I did way up north all Winter.

SoFloFlyer
07-23-2019, 06:53 PM
And you'll never get the wind low enough to solo out west. The grass is not always greener. I had more wx cancellations in Florida during the Spring then I did way up north all Winter.

As a south Florida CFI, I can vouch for this. CFI was a pain to finish

JayD
07-24-2019, 12:45 AM

Yes, you can absolutely get it done faster but I focused entirely on LIFT and didnít work. You might be able to make something like Uber/Lyft work if you needed a side job. I was originally scheduled to be done at the end of December but now I should start instructing towards the beginning of September. I wonít be done with the multi or have my CFII at that point but Iíll do both of those while instructing. Right now they are having us do the multi right before going to RPA.

I made up most of the time during commercial since there is a lot of solo time. They advertise six months and I ended up doing it in three. They also just started an open time board so you can pick up additional flying/ground with a different instructor too. That would allow PVT and IRA to go faster.