Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

blindfayth
07-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Any regrets on not going somewhere else?

I'm speaking purely from a good schedule, QOL, pay, and overall job satisfaction point of view.

I know, Republic doesn't have a flow, and isn't a wholly-owned (there are pros and cons to this).

Can you pick up extra flying for good money when you hold a line or sit reserve when you want to? Can you have a lot of days off on certain months when you want to?

Is it true that you never have to sit ready reserve at the airport?

I see so many good things about Republic from a QOL standpoint, even down to the airplane itself. The only negative things I've seen/heard are: 1) CMH (which would actually by my base of choice), 2) No flow, 3) Long"ish" upgrades (down to 2.5 years as I understand it now, though), and 4) hotels aren't the best (But who sends their people to amazing hotels at the regionals anyway)?

Thanks in advance,

bf

Random Task
07-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Ignore the hotel bs on here. We are in the same hotels every other regional is.

I'm 1 year in, live in base, and have no regrets. My QoL is fantastic.

Crown
07-08-2018, 01:11 PM
why not ask those of us who left RAH

blindfayth
07-08-2018, 01:23 PM
why not ask those of us who left RAH

Ok. I'll bite. I didn't realize I was leaving anyone out. Why did you leave RAH, Crown?

Crown
07-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Ok. I'll bite. I didn't realize I was leaving anyone out. Why did you leave RAH, Crown?

because another airline called me, one that I really wanted to work for. But I was ready to go to Allegiant as well. I would have gone anywhere to bail on that place. It's toxic. Plain and simple.

zanfarroway
07-08-2018, 03:25 PM
because another airline called me, one that I really wanted to work for. But I was ready to go to Allegiant as well. I would have gone anywhere to bail on that place. It's toxic. Plain and simple.

Mind elaborating? That doesn't really give us an idea of anything.

170driver
07-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Iíve been here 5 years and I am pretty happy. I think mileage varies depending on commuting or living in base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

170driver
07-08-2018, 03:29 PM

And I donít refute that it was very very toxic when I started and into 2015, basically until we got our new contract.

Palarran
07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Agreed. From my perspective, once the contract was ratified in October 2015 it was like someone flipped a switch.

Yes, I'm happy. I live in base, get good trips, and will be upgrading (in base, even) quite soon.

knewyork
07-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Iím happy here. Itís not toxic at all, at least not in EWR with the people I fly with. An overwhelming majority like it. Iím being very honest about that. Iím well aware that toxic is how it used to be but Iíd be lying if I told you thatís how it still is. QOL is one of the best in the regionals. Home basing helps. Plenty of days off.

blindfayth
07-08-2018, 08:29 PM
I’m happy here. It’s not toxic at all, at least not in EWR with the people I fly with. An overwhelming majority like it. I’m being very honest about that. I’m well aware that toxic is how it used to be but I’d be lying if I told you that’s how it still is. QOL is one of the best in the regionals. Home basing helps. Plenty of days off.

Do you see the upgrade times at CMH staying steady at about 3 years or coming down? Any planned growth that you guys know of?

SoFloFlyer
07-08-2018, 08:39 PM
QOL is huge for me (the pay is pretty great too), but MIA being 2 year senority to hold I just really hard to swallow.

Thatís said, how many days are line holders average? I know Iíll have the contractual 12 days off on reserve, but Iíd be trying to do as little flying has possible once I hold a line due to having to commute.

Any insight would be awesome! Thanks!

knewyork
07-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Do you see the upgrade times at CMH staying steady at about 3 years or coming down? Any planned growth that you guys know of?

They will most likely come down some more. I donít think the turn over weíre seeing is going to slow any time soon. Growth is possible if we grow our staffing levels, which we have done recently for the first time in almost 3 years. But growth may have to come from other regionalsí contracts as we face scope issues with our 70-76 seat aircraft. The company hinted at growth but until now itís been hindered by our seniority list staying fairly steady but not growing. Since itís grown some weíll see what happens. We are still short staffed for summer months.

knewyork
07-08-2018, 08:49 PM
QOL is huge for me (the pay is pretty great too), but MIA being 2 year senority to hold I just really hard to swallow.

Thatís said, how many days are line holders average? I know Iíll have the contractual 12 days off on reserve, but Iíd be trying to do as little flying has possible once I hold a line due to having to commute.

Any insight would be awesome! Thanks!

I averaged 14-17 off as FO. Iíve read similar experiences from others on here

stfoley23
07-09-2018, 07:54 AM
For those that want to make extra money and fly extra, is there a lot of flying to be picked up?

SoFloFlyer
07-09-2018, 10:05 AM
I averaged 14-17 off as FO. Iíve read similar experiences from others on here

Thatís good, adds up to what some people have told me. How long on property until you can get a Sunday off?

Bonanzer
07-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Been at Republic for almost 7 years. The Republic of today and the republic of pre 2015 are completely different. Been pretty happy lately. The only thing that would make Republic the absolute best pick would be a flow in your back pocket. But for that your only option is the AA regionals. Unfortunately the AA regionals know they can get away with terrible captain pay and will continue to do so.

blindfayth
07-09-2018, 04:22 PM
How quick is the movement lately on the CA side? Are there a lot of lifers there because they are having trouble moving on? Or because they like it there so much?

Is it hard to get tpic time at republic?

Only reason I ask is because I hear folks at compass are rarely there past four years before they are able to move on.

Wondering why the big discrepancy.

Captain Slow
07-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Iím pretty content here. I make as make the same or better money than my friends at the other top dog regionals, but I have way better work rules and QOL, and I drive to work.

16-18 days off the last few months with 88-100hr credit and all the days off I asked for with a year and a half on the property. Life is good. I have very little to complain about. Good crews. Good planes.

MustangMan
07-09-2018, 07:42 PM
How quick is the movement lately on the CA side? Are there a lot of lifers there because they are having trouble moving on? Or because they like it there so much?

Is it hard to get tpic time at republic?

Only reason I ask is because I hear folks at compass are rarely there past four years before they are able to move on.

Wondering why the big discrepancy.

Thereís been a lot of movement lately. The larger amount of captain attrition is in the 4-5 and 10-12 year marks. Yes, like everywhere else, there are captains that donít wanna give up QOL and good schedules to go somewhere else. With regards to tpic, as of today, the most junior captain award is officially just under 2.5 years. Thatís down from 4.5 two years ago and is expected to settle around two years.

SoFloFlyer
07-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Thatís good, adds up to what some people have told me. How long on property until you can get a Sunday off?

Any idea on this question? Lol

stfoley23
07-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Whatís a good estimate we can expect for take home pay per month after taxes?

TheWeatherman
07-10-2018, 10:05 AM
And I donít refute that it was very very toxic when I started and into 2015, basically until we got our new contract.

Exactly, it is all cyclical. You want toxic? Go to Skywest or Air Wisconsin where they are currently on the lower end of the pay scale and were given horrible TAs to vote on (both rejected).

TheWeatherman
07-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Any idea on this question? Lol
It depends, could be first month. Want a specific Sunday off? Well, that could be a little more difficult until you get on the upper half of FOs at your base (about a year). But you will most likely get a Sunday off or two each month.

Strangely, I have had every Holiday off this year so far which I didn't want. Due to Holiday pay here, senior people actually bid to work holidays. I have been able to pick up Holiday pay on most holidays though by picking up turn either on the trade board or open time.

TheWeatherman
07-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Whatís a good estimate we can expect for take home pay per month after taxes?
As a first year FO your first pay statement of the month is half of your min month guarantee, so around 1300. You second pay statement of the month includes your second half of the guarantee, anything worked over that, per diem, and other pay and could be more then double that.

SoFloFlyer
07-10-2018, 01:30 PM
It depends, could be first month. Want a specific Sunday off? Well, that could be a little more difficult until you get on the upper half of FOs at your base (about a year). But you will most likely get a Sunday off or two each month.

Strangely, I have had every Holiday off this year so far which I didn't want. Due to Holiday pay here, senior people actually bid to work holidays. I have been able to pick up Holiday pay on most holidays though by picking up turn either on the trade board or open time.

No, all sundays if possible. I know I wonít keep that consistency until I have decent senority within the company. A Sunday here and there is fine. I just do a lot of work at the church so Sundayís are a must for me, but again, I get how this goes. Just wondering what it looks like. MIA would be my preferred base, but thatís also senior. Luckily, I have some time before I can apply to any 121 operator. Thanks for the reply!

Flightcap
07-13-2018, 06:37 AM
No, all sundays if possible. I know I won’t keep that consistency until I have decent senority within the company. A Sunday here and there is fine. I just do a lot of work at the church so Sunday’s are a must for me, but again, I get how this goes. Just wondering what it looks like. MIA would be my preferred base, but that’s also senior. Luckily, I have some time before I can apply to any 121 operator. Thanks for the reply!

I was in your situation regarding Sundays and church obligations. I lived in base at CMH so I told the scheduling software to only give me a line if I could get all Sundays off. That meant I was on reserve several months longer than I would otherwise have been but it was worth it. Once my line could hold Sundays off I went almost a year without working a Sunday except for one that was my mistake. If you live in base reserve isn't bad at all. Overall I enjoyed my time at RAH. I was never there pre-2015 contract so I never saw that extremely toxic time in its history. Post-contract I was holding 17 days off, liked the plane I flew and people I flew with, and would have stayed a little longer to hold out for one of the Big Three if upgrades had been anywhere in sight for ORD.

SoFloFlyer
07-13-2018, 07:37 AM
I was in your situation regarding Sundays and church obligations. I lived in base at CMH so I told the scheduling software to only give me a line if I could get all Sundays off. That meant I was on reserve several months longer than I would otherwise have been but it was worth it. Once my line could hold Sundays off I went almost a year without working a Sunday except for one that was my mistake. If you live in base reserve isn't bad at all. Overall I enjoyed my time at RAH. I was never there pre-2015 contract so I never saw that extremely toxic time in its history. Post-contract I was holding 17 days off, liked the plane I flew and people I flew with, and would have stayed a little longer to hold out for one of the Big Three if upgrades had been anywhere in sight for ORD.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like living in base is key to this equation. Which is a bit difficult considering I MIA can be held with about a year on property. Definitely a few things to think about. Thank again for the reply.

Varkguy
07-19-2018, 10:23 AM
2.5 months in and I've been happy here. Credited 110 hours during my IOE/reserve first month, of which I sat exactly one day reserve and then held a line the next month (LGA). I've liked almost every hotel, with some being exceptional. Still crediting 95+ hours this month and next month so I'm not interested or capable of picking up much more than that, but there is almost always open time available. I realize I'm pretty new but in my short experience the company has treated me with respect and I enjoy my trips and places we fly to and overnight in.

Thedude86
07-22-2018, 01:39 PM
2.5 months in and I've been happy here. Credited 110 hours during my IOE/reserve first month, of which I sat exactly one day reserve and then held a line the next month (LGA). I've liked almost every hotel, with some being exceptional. Still crediting 95+ hours this month and next month so I'm not interested or capable of picking up much more than that, but there is almost always open time available. I realize I'm pretty new but in my short experience the company has treated me with respect and I enjoy my trips and places we fly to and overnight in.

Curious how many days off most pilots are getting with 95 hours of credit?

pacificapt
07-22-2018, 03:49 PM
How hard would it be to get IAH fresh out of training? How big is the base for now?

VASBYT
07-22-2018, 07:59 PM
How hard would it be to get IAH fresh out of training? How big is the base for now?

Unlikely! Most junior FO for Houston is around Dec ‘17. The base just opened, so no real numbers have come out.

blindfayth
07-23-2018, 05:53 PM
I keep hearing that Republic has some of the best work rules / QOL of any regional airline.

Other than the no junior manning and no ready reserve, what else is causing people to make these claims? Abnormally high credit trips? Good open time pay? What?

170driver
07-24-2018, 03:38 AM
I keep hearing that Republic has some of the best work rules / QOL of any regional airline.

Other than the no junior manning and no ready reserve, what else is causing people to make these claims? Abnormally high credit trips? Good open time pay? What?

Duty rigs(2:1), trip rigs (4:1), and min day (4:12) force the companyís hand in making efficient trips. For example letís say youíre doing an IND-ORD-IND trip, block of 2 hours but you get 4:12 of pay. Now letís say that a delay occurs in ORD and you now have a 12 hour duty day for some awful reason, you will get 6 hours of pay (2:1 duty rig). That is just a simplistic explanation.

Bonanzer
07-24-2018, 04:22 AM

Most of it boils down to trip efficiency. Most of our trips are high credit even on the junior side. By having efficient trips you end up with more days off. I canít say there arenít exceptions, but I tend to credit more and get more days off then my buddies at other regionals.

As far as the contracts Republic and endeavor have the best.

TheWeatherman
07-24-2018, 09:07 AM
It's just not work credit, but rules for fatigue and calling sick that are stronger for the employee then at most Regionals. Strong Union representation goes a long way.

Tpinks
07-25-2018, 07:58 AM
It's just not work credit, but rules for fatigue and calling sick that are stronger for the employee then at most Regionals. Strong Union representation goes a long way.

Apparently our fatigue program is even better than most Mainlineís according to some people I have talked to.

But as far as efficiency goes. An example would be earlier in the month I had a 4 day trip scheduled for 28.5hrs of credit. Iím currently on a 27 and change hours 4 day trip that due to delays is going to credit 28.5ish hours. But we also have trips that only are min guarantee days...

Both our cancelation pay and our normal pay (scheduled block or greater) are done on a leg by leg basis.

So for example say we are scheduled to operate 4 legs, each is 2 hours long.

Scheduledó-actual
Leg 1: 2:00ó-1:45
Leg 2: 2:00ó- 2:15
Leg 3: 2:00ó- 2:00
Leg 4: 2:00ó- canceled/removed from leg (company initiated)

Our total pay for the day would be 8:15

Captain Slow
07-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Curious how many days off most pilots are getting with 95 hours of credit?

I average 17 days off with 95hr credit. If I back it down to 85 or so I get 18 days off reliably. If you bid for weekends off every week or some other more restrictive things you can expect your total days off to drop if you still want high credit. I donít care about weekends, I just bid the days off I need to cover childcare/whatever. Works pretty well.

blindfayth
07-26-2018, 03:15 PM
I average 17 days off with 95hr credit. If I back it down to 85 or so I get 18 days off reliably. If you bid for weekends off every week or some other more restrictive things you can expect your total days off to drop if you still want high credit. I donít care about weekends, I just bid the days off I need to cover childcare/whatever. Works pretty well.

Wow, that is pretty insane. How long have you been with the company, and where are you based, if I may ask?

njd1
07-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Not to get into the bowels of bidding as I'm still in training but I'm like you -- I don't care about weekends. I just want max credit and as many days off as I can get, preferably with continuous blocks between trips (4-5 days).

Care to enlighten me on your preference(s) strategy you use to achieve that schedule? If you don't want to publicize, please PM me.

TheWeatherman
07-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Not to get into the bowels of bidding as I'm still in training but I'm like you -- I don't care about weekends. I just want max credit and as many days off as I can get, preferably with continuous blocks between trips (4-5 days).

Care to enlighten me on your preference(s) strategy you use to achieve that schedule? If you don't want to publicize, please PM me.
Once I held a line I got 15 - 17 days off a month without even really trying. As somebody mentioned earlier, that is what efficient schedule making and good contract rules get you. Now if you fly for Skywest, you only get 11 to 12 days off a month as a line holder and credit about the same hours as us. Don't underestimate the power of a good contract, its all not just your hourly pay. The Union did a good job with this one.

blindfayth
07-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Curious if Endeavor guys get the same amount of time off as you guys. I'm still trying to decide where to go in September.

glassnpowder98
07-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Curious if Endeavor guys get the same amount of time off as you guys. I'm still trying to decide where to go in September.

I would imagine the guys on the 900ís with their typically longer legs see similar schedules to us. However if you find yourself on the 200, youíll be flying a lot more shorter legs at lower credit which typically results in less days off. I started with Chautauqua on the 145 out of New York, which once those airplanes went away, Endeavor took over the flying. I was averaging 12-14 days off a month and 75-85 hours of credit. As much as people talk about Shiny Jet Syndrome, the aircraft definitely has an impact on QOL

Captain Slow
07-26-2018, 05:29 PM

Iím MCI based, live in base, roughly a year and a half on property.

I drive to work so I donít care as much about long blocks between trips but they normally appear anyway. I bid very simply.... the days off I need followed by high average daily credit and trips greater or equal to two days in length (day trips cost me a bit in gas). It works out well almost every time and I donít spend eleventy billion hours on my bid every month like some people do.

blindfayth
07-26-2018, 06:44 PM
Iím MCI based, live in base, roughly a year and a half on property.

I drive to work so I donít care as much about long blocks between trips but they normally appear anyway. I bid very simply.... the days off I need followed by high average daily credit and trips greater or equal to two days in length (day trips cost me a bit in gas). It works out well almost every time and I donít spend eleventy billion hours on my bid every month like some people do.

That sounds awesome.
A couple questions:
1) Were you able to get MCI out of training?
2) How long did it take you to hold a line in MCI?
3) What's the jr captain hire dates in MCI? (Reserve & Line Holder)?

Thanks in advance,

bf

flydiamond
07-26-2018, 06:58 PM
I would imagine the guys on the 900ís with their typically longer legs see similar schedules to us. However if you find yourself on the 200, youíll be flying a lot more shorter legs at lower credit which typically results in less days off. I started with Chautauqua on the 145 out of New York, which once those airplanes went away, Endeavor took over the flying. I was averaging 12-14 days off a month and 75-85 hours of credit. As much as people talk about Shiny Jet Syndrome, the aircraft definitely has an impact on QOL

True story. Fortunately Endeavor is almost 75% 900 flying.

ChrisPilot1
07-26-2018, 07:56 PM
Iíll second that we have some pretty efficient trip pairings and I too get 15-17 days off per month right now.

However....

When it comes to a commuter policy / occurrence policy , there is not much leeway.

We get 4 callouts in a 12 month period and management has been using much scrutiny on pilots using this policy lately . Also if you call in sick you get an occurrence unless you get a doctors note, so if you have a cold you have to go pay a doctor to write you a note to get out of an occurrence. And I believe this can only be used once in a certain period? Correct me if Iím wrong.

Talking to a skywest pilot they have 0 policy on these things. Not sure about other regionals. If you canít make it to work you tell them and they simply say ďhave a good dayĒ or if your sick....Ēwe hope you feel betterĒ. Obvsiously if people abuse this Iím sure they will say something , but Iím already 3 occurrences in from not making a commute once and a second commute ( on a Republic plane ) being delayed into base for weather.

Live in base and your life will be so much easier

Captain Slow
07-27-2018, 03:42 AM
I was east coast based for six months out of training before I held MCI. I held a line as soon as I got here but your mileage may vary. Right now people are getting it out of training, but that can all change pretty quick. Just depends on movement by the time you get through training.

However....

When it comes to a commuter policy / occurrence policy , there is not much leeway.

We get 4 callouts in a 12 month period and management has been using much scrutiny on pilots using this policy lately . Also if you call in sick you get an occurrence unless you get a doctors note, so if you have a cold you have to go pay a doctor to write you a note to get out of an occurrence. And I believe this can only be used once in a certain period? Correct me if Iím wrong.

Youíre not wrong. That said if you do burn your four commuter ďfreebiesĒ you still have six more occurrences before you get a letter. I mean thatís 10 times in a rolling 12 month period. You can also use the commuter clause if you drive to work, which is pretty neat (flat tire? Youíre good... just show up when you can). Iíd rather have union representation and a commuter clause/sick relief program in writing than whatever the company decides to do the day that Iím sick or canít make it to work (that leaves the company a bit too much discretion in my book).

The sick call relief with note is at least once every six months, maybe twice... I donít have the contract in front of me though. I did get sick earlier this year and didnít get a note, just burned an occurrence and slept all week. Not really a crisis by my standards but I rarely donít make it to work.

GoJuice
07-27-2018, 04:28 AM
How do you all think the QOL would be for someone commuting out of STL at Republic? I have been accepted into the LIFT academy and would like to move back home eventually.

TheWeatherman
07-27-2018, 08:27 AM
How do you all think the QOL would be for someone commuting out of STL at Republic? I have been accepted into the LIFT academy and would like to move back home eventually.

If you live on the east side of the STL area, Indy is an easy 2.5 hour drive as the airport is on the west side of Indy. Wonít work for reserve, but should work out nice once you have a line.

blindfayth
07-27-2018, 08:41 AM
Just saw this over on one of the EDV forums:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180727/c95a991bc3651da982e136e19c751cc0.jpg

itsmytime
07-27-2018, 09:33 AM
If you live on the east side of the STL area, Indy is an easy 2.5 hour drive as the airport is on the west side of Indy. Wonít work for reserve, but should work out nice once you have a line.

uh, no. even if you live in Collinsville, IL., its still 220 miles to the airport. at 75mph, that's still 3 hours. and from someone who travels I-70 frequently between the two locales, there are plenty of cops stationed all along that route.

TheWeatherman
07-27-2018, 12:50 PM
uh, no. even if you live in Collinsville, IL., its still 220 miles to the airport. at 75mph, that's still 3 hours. and from someone who travels I-70 frequently between the two locales, there are plenty of cops stationed all along that route.
Whatever you say, grandma

njd1
07-27-2018, 06:15 PM
I’m MCI based, live in base, roughly a year and a half on property.

I drive to work so I don’t care as much about long blocks between trips but they normally appear anyway. I bid very simply.... the days off I need followed by high average daily credit and trips greater or equal to two days in length (day trips cost me a bit in gas). It works out well almost every time and I don’t spend eleventy billion hours on my bid every month like some people do.

Spoke to a 2 year FO based in Indy and she said she does basically the same thing and had 18 days off last month. Nice to see the pattern holds.

Now all I have to do is figure out whether it would be better to stay in my initial award base (LGA) with the assumption that I'll get a line quicker -- perhaps straight out of training, or bid EWR where I want to be, knowing I'll be on reserve for 4-5 months. Base bid for December is due on 8/5. Have to make a decision by then.

itsmytime
07-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Whatever you say, grandma

If you know better facts than what Iíve posted, Iím all ears.

TheWeatherman
07-28-2018, 04:50 AM
If you know better facts than what Iíve posted, Iím all ears.

Yeah, donít drive like youíre driving ms daisy, 2.5 hours tops gramps.

itsmytime
07-28-2018, 04:55 AM
Yeah, donít drive like youíre driving ms daisy, 2.5 hours tops gramps.

Ok. I take it youíve made the drive several times without any issue. You win.

knewyork
07-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Very interesting, keep up the good work guys

Irishblackbird
07-30-2018, 02:20 PM
How hard is CMH to get out of training? How long is reserve in CMH? Thanks

TheWeatherman
07-30-2018, 02:22 PM
How hard is CMH to get out of training? How long is reserve in CMH? Thanks
About as hard as butter on a 110 degree day.

Irishblackbird
07-30-2018, 02:30 PM

Awesome, thanks!

FlyGuy2112
07-30-2018, 03:30 PM
How long does it take to hold maimi as a FO? What is the new hire date of the most junior FO?

njd1
07-30-2018, 05:04 PM

Ha! I lol'd.

True dat. CMH was one of the four junior bases offered and awarded in our class earlier this month. If you want CMH, jugoditman!

McCringleberry
07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Is there anything word about new bases moving out west?

Swilliams111
07-31-2018, 01:52 PM
I've been out of the industry for 8 years and I'm thinking of getting back in. Are new hires getting IAH? Thanks.

VASBYT
07-31-2018, 07:39 PM
I've been out of the industry for 8 years and I'm thinking of getting back in. Are new hires getting IAH? Thanks.

Simple answer as of recently, no.

Geardownflaps30
08-01-2018, 05:30 AM

The base has only been open 31 days.

Geardownflaps30
08-01-2018, 05:30 AM
Is there anything word about new bases moving out west?

No.

filler filler

Swilliams111
08-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Simple answer as of recently, no.
Thanks for the info.

Macchi30
08-01-2018, 02:24 PM
I have a question.

So for the current republic pilots, whatís your estimated timeline and plan to get to the majors? Do you have or are you working on a degree, or are you just trying to stack up hours?

ImPilot I Fly
08-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Anyone from East St. Louis ain't afraid of no cops!!!

glassnpowder98
08-01-2018, 08:26 PM
I have a question.

So for the current republic pilots, whatís your estimated timeline and plan to get to the majors? Do you have or are you working on a degree, or are you just trying to stack up hours?

A lot of our 10 year captains are getting picked up by the big 4 and desirable box carriers. Most of them got caught up in 7-8 year upgrades and are now getting into the competitive PIC times and moving on. These guys and gals have been through a lot of ups and downs and itís awesome to see them moving on.

With the upgrade time decreasing and hiring picking up everywhere, the outlook should get better for everyone. Personally I have a college degree, building PIC time, and volunteer to add some extra to the resume. Iím hopeful in another few years the 6-7 year mark will be the sweet spot at Republic and I can move on. With upgrade hovering around 2.5 years now, it could be around 5 years for those guys to get where they want to be.

Itís definitely completely up in the air and many factors play into it, but it seems current trends are heading that way.

SoFloFlyer
08-01-2018, 09:11 PM
A lot of our 10 year captains are getting picked up by the big 4 and desirable box carriers. Most of them got caught up in 7-8 year upgrades and are now getting into the competitive PIC times and moving on. These guys and gals have been through a lot of ups and downs and itís awesome to see them moving on.

With the upgrade time decreasing and hiring picking up everywhere, the outlook should get better for everyone. Personally I have a college degree, building PIC time, and volunteer to add some extra to the resume. Iím hopeful in another few years the 6-7 year mark will be the sweet spot at Republic and I can move on. With upgrade hovering around 2.5 years now, it could be around 5 years for those guys to get where they want to be.

Itís definitely completely up in the air and many factors play into it, but it seems current trends are heading that way.

I hear a lot of RAH pilots going to good carriers, but not the big four (less common, of course). Any place where I can get states on where RAH pilots are going? Iíd want to go straight to a major and not a LCC or ACMI carrier if at all possible.

Macchi30
08-02-2018, 04:30 AM
I hear a lot of RAH pilots going to good carriers, but not the big four (less common, of course). Any place where I can get states on where RAH pilots are going? Iíd want to go straight to a major and not a LCC or ACMI carrier if at all possible.

I went to a republic recruiting event and they gave me a pamphlet with those numbers. I donít know how to upload pictures on here so Iíll just type it out what it says.

ďAnd if you decide to move on to a larger airlines, you are in good company! Here is a glance where our pilots go:

AA, DAL, UAL- 26%

Southwest- 18%

FedEx, UPS, Atlas- 13%

JetBlue-13%

Spirit- 11%

Allegiant- 7%

Alaska, frontier, corporate flying and more 12%Ē

SoFloFlyer
08-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I went to a republic recruiting event and they gave me a pamphlet with those numbers. I donít know how to upload pictures on here so Iíll just type it out what it says.

ďAnd if you decide to move on to a larger airlines, you are in good company! Here is a glance where our pilots go:

AA, DAL, UAL- 26%

Southwest- 18%

FedEx, UPS, Atlas- 13%

JetBlue-13%

Spirit- 11%

Allegiant- 7%

Alaska, frontier, corporate flying and more 12%Ē

Thanks for the info!!

SunnyFL
08-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Sorry if this was posted somewhere else. I did a quick search function and didn't find anything.

In regards to the bonus. What does the contract look like for it? Pro-rated, if so over how long? Not pro-rated and the length?

Thanks in advance.

TangoIndiaMike1
08-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Sorry if this was posted somewhere else. I did a quick search function and didn't find anything.

In regards to the bonus. What does the contract look like for it? Pro-rated, if so over how long? Not pro-rated and the length?

Thanks in advance.

2 years and itís prorated monthly. Stay a year and you owe half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunnyFL
08-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Tpinks
08-05-2018, 03:00 PM

Incorrect. It's two years, prorated AFTER completing IOE, monthly. So the first 3-4 months that clock will not be ticking...

blindfayth
08-14-2018, 06:56 PM
Southwest is my ultimate goal.
Is Republic one of the best regionals to go to if that's the case? And if so, why?

TheWeatherman
08-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Southwest is my ultimate goal.
Is Republic one of the best regionals to go to if that's the case? And if so, why?
Don't know, but if seems like an awful lot of Republic pilots go to SWA

Captain Slow
08-15-2018, 07:49 AM
SWA does like our people, when you look at the numbers. Not really anything in particular that makes us objectively better though for the purpose of going there.

kls81
09-07-2018, 03:58 AM
What is the Holiday pay rate at Republic?

Thanks

Captain Slow
09-07-2018, 04:24 AM
Holiday pay is an extra 4:12 over what you credited for the day.

kls81
09-07-2018, 04:45 AM
Holiday pay is an extra 4:12 over what you credited for the day.

Thank You.

Captain Slow
09-07-2018, 05:01 AM
I should add since itís a common question.... if you are on reserve on a holiday and donít get called you do still get the extra credit.

Viking6
09-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Iíll second that we have some pretty efficient trip pairings and I too get 15-17 days off per month right now.

However....

Talking to a skywest pilot they have 0 policy on these things. Not sure about other regionals. If you canít make it to work you tell them and they simply say ďhave a good dayĒ or if your sick....Ēwe hope you feel betterĒ. Obvsiously if people abuse this Iím sure they will say something , but Iím already 3 occurrences in from not making a commute once and a second commute ( on a Republic plane ) being delayed into base for weather.

Rumor is a pilot was terminated because of occurrences recently. If you hit 8 occurrences in 12 months, then I would expect termination. Itís always been there, but theyíre enforcing it now.

Random Task
09-07-2018, 09:26 PM
I should add since itís a common question.... if you are on reserve on a holiday and donít get called you do still get the extra credit.

Yes. I was on reserve last Thanksgiving, wasn't called, got released at 9 am, had Thanksgiving with my family and got holiday pay!

KCFLY
09-16-2018, 03:55 PM
I know it can vary based on how you bid, but what should a new FO expect for nights away from home per month?

Thanks

TheWeatherman
09-16-2018, 04:40 PM
I know it can vary based on how you bid, but what should a new FO expect for nights away from home per month?

ThanksYou are guaranteed 12 days off a month. Because Republic builds its schedules more efficiently then other Regionals, it is easy to have 14 - 16 days off a month once you are off reserve (Keep in mind, while on reserve you will always have only 12 days off). I even had 18 days off once crediting 80 hours.

Unless you are based in one of the outstations, usually your last day of the trip you are home early afternoon. So you will have that evening at home too.

KCFLY
09-17-2018, 05:15 AM
You are guaranteed 12 days off a month. Because Republic builds its schedules more efficiently then other Regionals, it is easy to have 14 - 16 days off a month once you are off reserve (Keep in mind, while on reserve you will always have only 12 days off). I even had 18 days off once crediting 80 hours.

Unless you are based in one of the outstations, usually your last day of the trip you are home early afternoon. So you will have that evening at home too.

Not to be dense, but are you saying that other than your 14-16 days off a month you are on the road living in hotels? (In general)

twebb
09-17-2018, 05:53 AM
If you have 15 days off. You're home for the 15 days. Then if you bid 4 day trips, you're home for the morning of an additional 4 days during the month, and sleeping in your bed an additional 4 days.

15 whole days home +
4 nights home +
4 mornings home =
Total of 23 days you'll see your house/family/dogs.

TheWeatherman
09-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Not to be dense, but are you saying that other than your 14-16 days off a month you are on the road living in hotels? (In general)
Yes, unless you get a single day trip.

Flightcap
09-17-2018, 03:49 PM
2 day trip = one night away.
3 day trip = two nights away.

Etc. Your total nights away from home varies depending on your desires. If you live in base you can do day trips and two day trips to maximize nights home. If you commute you'll want longer trips to reduce the number of times you have to make the commute or buy a hotel in your base city.

MarktheAV8R
09-24-2018, 01:05 PM
What would be a good base to commute to from MCO? I live in orlando and trying to uproot family life may be difficult. Thoughts?

Tigflt17
09-24-2018, 01:15 PM
What would be a good base to commute to from MCO? I live in orlando and trying to uproot family life may be difficult. Thoughts?

Until you can hold Miami which will be almost a year, EWR or LGA. Go to passrider.com and look up flight options.

birdog90
09-25-2018, 07:00 AM
How long does it take to hold a line in IND right now?

170driver
09-25-2018, 07:01 AM
How long does it take to hold a line in IND right now?

Most junior line holder is 5/2018

birdog90
09-25-2018, 07:05 AM
Most junior line holder is 5/2018

Thank you very much! So really only 2-3 months of reserve out of training. Sounds like IND is still pretty attainable straight out of training?

170driver
09-25-2018, 07:07 AM
Thank you very much! So really only 2-3 months of reserve out of training. Sounds like IND is still pretty attainable straight out of training?

Yes it is a very junior base and I think will remain that way. Get in class as soon as you can!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1