Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : O'Hare

yeeeyeee
07-08-2018, 07:59 PM
What's the deal with OHare. I've heard people say it's Junior and not junior...and that it may be going away as a base, or here to stay. Any insider view would be cool

Tpinks
07-09-2018, 03:12 PM
What's the deal with OHare. I've heard people say it's Junior and not junior...and that it may be going away as a base, or here to stay. Any insider view would be cool

Ohare is very senior on the Captain side and mostly senior on the FO side. However there have been a few people to get ORD through our monthly bids.
Flying out of ORD has been reduced to just United flying, we previously did AA which ended early 2017 and our Delta flying I believe is either already finished or will be finished at the end of July with that flying being covered by other bases.

yeeeyeee
07-09-2018, 03:20 PM
So not likely for an FO. Maybe I’ll stick with SkyWest or Air Wisconsin

OffAtTango
07-09-2018, 03:54 PM
It is junior on the FO side, very senior on the CA side. A new hire in the 5/15/18 class was just awarded ORD in the most recent bid.

Ni7irs
07-09-2018, 07:14 PM
I received ORD already and not even out of training.

yeeeyeee
07-09-2018, 07:21 PM
I received ORD already and not even out of training.

Dang. Maybe I will reconsider, LOL. Were you the only one to get ORD?

TJBrass
07-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Don't go to RPA for ORD. They occasionally send a token new hire there for recruiting purposes, but the odds of being involuntarily displaced soon are too great.

4V14T0R
07-10-2018, 06:40 AM
Don't go to RPA for ORD. They occasionally send a token new hire there for recruiting purposes, but the odds of being involuntarily displaced soon are too great.

Stop spewing misinformation. They have absolutely no plans of involuntary displacements out of ORD. New hires regularly get ORD. It is pretty junior on the bottom half of the FO list. It is quite senior on the top half though. You will likely never see it as a CA. The base is not closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORD170
07-10-2018, 07:11 AM
I suspect even as a FO at Republic you will be on reserve in ORD for a very long time. I would find out how long reserve is at each, and then decide. You will get more days off holding a line and make more money. Sounds like ORD is shrinking at Republic, but I doubt they will close it anytime soon. Itís a recruiting tool, and they canít afford the bad press. My buddy just passed 12 years at Republic, and he is solid reserve in ORD as a captain, so I wouldnít plan on ever upgrading into ORD.

TJBrass
07-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Stop spewing misinformation. They have absolutely no plans of involuntary displacements out of ORD. New hires regularly get ORD. It is pretty junior on the bottom half of the FO list. It is quite senior on the top half though. You will likely never see it as a CA. The base is not closing.

Market Planning at SKYW for Q1 would suggest otherwise.

4V14T0R
07-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Market Planning at SKYW for Q1 would suggest otherwise.

So youíre not even at Republic and youíre spewing this kind of misinformation?

What does Skywestís market planning have to do with ORD as a base for Republic?

TheWeatherman
07-10-2018, 09:57 AM
So not likely for an FO. Maybe Iíll stick with SkyWest or Air Wisconsin
Base should always be your first consideration, but there are much better places to go then those two Regionals. The pilot groups there are very unhappy.

TheWeatherman
07-10-2018, 10:00 AM
I suspect even as a FO at Republic you will be on reserve in ORD for a very long time. I would find out how long reserve is at each, and then decide. You will get more days off holding a line and make more money. Sounds like ORD is shrinking at Republic, but I doubt they will close it anytime soon. It’s a recruiting tool, and they can’t afford the bad press. My buddy just passed 12 years at Republic, and he is solid reserve in ORD as a captain, so I wouldn’t plan on ever upgrading into ORD.
Between 0 and 3 FOs are put on Reserve at ORD monthly. Having so many Captains there actually works to the benefit of FOs as some of the months this year they have had more lines then FOs. They'll do that knowing they will have enough Captains on reserve to fill the right seat.

fortyeight
07-10-2018, 03:33 PM
So not likely for an FO. Maybe Iíll stick with SkyWest or Air Wisconsin

Yes, if youíre looking for Chicago stay as far away from Republic as possible. Republic is in love with the outstation basing model. Unless you want an outstation or live in NY thereís zero reason to come to RPA.

4V14T0R
07-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Yes, if youíre looking for Chicago stay as far away from Republic as possible. Republic is in love with the outstation basing model. Unless you want an outstation or live in NY thereís zero reason to come to RPA.

You guys and your over dramatic absolutes. ZERO, yes, ZERO reason.

Geardownflaps30
07-10-2018, 05:52 PM

As noted. This post is melodramatic bull crap.

Geardownflaps30
07-10-2018, 05:53 PM

As is this one. Drama queens are strong on this thread.

ORD170
07-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Between 0 and 3 FOs are put on Reserve at ORD monthly. Having so many Captains there actually works to the benefit of FOs as some of the months this year they have had more lines then FOs. They'll do that knowing they will have enough Captains on reserve to fill the right seat.

So they have 0 FO reserves some months? Itís not a good thing to staff the right seat from the left seat. I can assure you the captains do not think this is a good idea. I guess if theyíre over staffed on captains, then it would make sense.

I also wouldnít say Skywest or Air Wisconsin are bad places. I believe Skywest just voted down a descent pay increase, because they were trying to raise the bar.

amcnd
07-11-2018, 05:42 AM
The major difference about SkyWest in ORD is they fly for DL/UA/AA there. And its there largest and most Jr base with 956 pilots based there as of today. But your gambling that they will get there pay/QOL up soon...

TheWeatherman
07-11-2018, 05:47 AM
So they have 0 FO reserves some months? It’s not a good thing to staff the right seat from the left seat. I can assure you the captains do not think this is a good idea. I guess if they’re over staffed on captains, then it would make sense.

I also wouldn’t say Skywest or Air Wisconsin are bad places. I believe Skywest just voted down a descent pay increase, because they were trying to raise the bar.
Yup, that is exactly what they are doing. ORD is not a good situation for Captains, but for FOs it is as good if not better then any other base.

The new Skywest TA was a sham. It was such a scam that despite all the brain washing and koolaid drinking, the pilot group was able to see through it and vote it down (a loss of 3 votes is like losing 80% to 20% at any other pilot group with a union and competent representation). The new TA had no new money coming from Skywest. The hourly raise came from other types of compensation that they took away from. Also, the TA didn't fix some of their glaring QOL issues like the reserve call out mess that was created by their inept Pilot representation. It came out of an agreement they penned with the company last year thinking they were fixing an issue, but Skywest saw a flaw in the agreement that allowed them to take advantage of Reserve pilots and they took FULL advantage of that. You can head over to their board to read all the deets of the mess over there.

fortyeight
07-11-2018, 10:12 AM
You guys and your over dramatic absolutes. ZERO, yes, ZERO reason.

Yes, zero. Itís not dramatic, itís the truth. Base should be the number one factor when deciding which regional. Yes our contract is very good, but not good enough to compete with other regionals that arenít shrinking Chicago or treating it like an outstation. 11 year captains on reserve in ORD is ridiculous. Mainline isnít even that bad. If an aspiring pilot is looking for ORD thereís zero reason. All other CBAs are catching up, or have already surpassed us in some ways.

4V14T0R
07-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Yes, zero. Itís not dramatic, itís the truth. Base should be the number one factor when deciding which regional. Yes our contract is very good, but not good enough to compete with other regionals that arenít shrinking Chicago or treating it like an outstation. 11 year captains on reserve in ORD is ridiculous. Mainline isnít even that bad. If an aspiring pilot is looking for ORD thereís zero reason. All other CBAs are catching up, or have already surpassed us in some ways.

No, itís very dramatic. ĎUnless you want to live in and outstation or NY there is zero reasoní... blah blah blah. We do have other bases. And if ORD is your number one choice there are still other reasons to come here. You are being dramatic like a 13 year old girl who thinks her BFF just stole her ďboyfriend.Ē Grow up. Rarely are absolute statements truthful statements

Av8r75
07-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Mic drop!! NICE

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Av8r75
07-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Yes, zero. Itís not dramatic, itís the truth. Base should be the number one factor when deciding which regional. Yes our contract is very good, but not good enough to compete with other regionals that arenít shrinking Chicago or treating it like an outstation. 11 year captains on reserve in ORD is ridiculous. Mainline isnít even that bad. If an aspiring pilot is looking for ORD thereís zero reason. All other CBAs are catching up, or have already surpassed us in some ways.Why do some pilots believe what is good for them should be the same for others??

"Base should be the number one factor when deciding which regional."

Wow...guess I can't have my own number one reason!! Statements like that are what make the rest of you post untruthful.

Base assignment may be your "truth", but it may not be someone else's number one priority. Sounds to me like you chose based solely on base preference it didn't work out for you....so now your bitter and decide to take a dump in everyone else's Cheerios.

In my OPINION only...there are multiple reasons to choose where to go and EACH person must decide what THEIR priorities are when making THEIR decision.

Find something else to complain about or choose to enjoy the journey.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ORD170
07-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Yup, that is exactly what they are doing. ORD is not a good situation for Captains, but for FOs it is as good if not better then any other base.

The new Skywest TA was a sham. It was such a scam that despite all the brain washing and koolaid drinking, the pilot group was able to see through it and vote it down (a loss of 3 votes is like losing 80% to 20% at any other pilot group with a union and competent representation). The new TA had no new money coming from Skywest. The hourly raise came from other types of compensation that they took away from. Also, the TA didn't fix some of their glaring QOL issues like the reserve call out mess that was created by their inept Pilot representation. It came out of an agreement they penned with the company last year thinking they were fixing an issue, but Skywest saw a flaw in the agreement that allowed them to take advantage of Reserve pilots and they took FULL advantage of that. You can head over to their board to read all the deets of the mess over there.

Sounds like Skywest pilots were smart to vote that POS down.

If the OP is fine commuting to CMH or IND to upgrade, then Republic would probably be the best pick. Doubtful he would ever hold ORD as a captain. Both of those commutes are easy and short, but theyíre outstations (early start & late finish).

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1