Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reserve Time

Gravity88x
07-12-2018, 08:57 AM
I know this has been addressed in multiple threads but could anybody give me an update on where the shortest reserve times are and just how long they are?? Trying to determine where Iím gonna bid tomorrow in Indoc.

VASBYT
07-12-2018, 09:29 AM
I know this has been addressed in multiple threads but could anybody give me an update on where the shortest reserve times are and just how long they are?? Trying to determine where Iím gonna bid tomorrow in Indoc.

I'll PM you.

Tigflt17
07-12-2018, 11:56 AM
I'll PM you.

PM me as well please? I start class next month

DiveAndDrive
07-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Why the PM? There are a lot of people in/going to be in class that would probably like to know. Besides. Anyone who is in this situation will be junior to you. :p

Jungle Jim
07-12-2018, 06:22 PM
LGA and CMH, no reserve. IND, 2 months. Can't remember what PIT was, but it's in the 4 month range I think. Those likely are the only 4 possible choices you're going to pull in the initial bid. Good luck.

greendotplus10
07-12-2018, 06:31 PM
CMH reserve 1-2 months (one of the new hire bases recently)
IAH reserve: TBD

170driver
07-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Very short compared to historic reserve times. 1-2 months at most, in most bases (excluding MIA)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arliss
07-14-2018, 05:59 PM
What does it take these days to get EWR and hold a line there?

Jungle Jim
07-16-2018, 05:41 AM
What does it take these days to get EWR and hold a line there?

A lot of seniority

mto7464
07-16-2018, 01:43 PM
A lot of seniority

What about MCI?

Arliss
07-16-2018, 06:10 PM
A lot of seniority

Like how much seniority? 6 months? 9?

Arliss
07-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Anyone? Bueller?

knewyork
07-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Anyone? Bueller?

Looks like you can get it within training, then get a line right at about a year. But of course things change. Iíve been ewr based my whole time here. Ask any questions you might have.

Arliss
07-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Daaaaamn a year to hold a line in EWR at Rjet? That's even worse than Xjet. How good/bad is FO reserve life in EWR?

TheWeatherman
07-17-2018, 06:38 PM
Looks like you can get it within training, then get a line right at about a year. But of course things change. Iíve been ewr based my whole time here. Ask any questions you might have.
This is fake news

https://imgur.com/gallery/LMgs3xU

knewyork
07-18-2018, 04:31 AM
This is fake news

How? Most junior line holder in ewr is a 6/17 hire. I canít load your pictures so I donít know what better info there is besides what our latest info is.

knewyork
07-18-2018, 04:44 AM
Now I see a 10/17 hire with a line in ewr for August. So 3 months of training and 7 months of rsv.

rsalvagnini
07-18-2018, 04:54 AM
How does reserve look for DCA?

Flyder
07-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Can anyone fresh out of training answer how much you get paid while training? Is it monthly minimums ($45/75hrs) and 24/7 per diem ($2.05/hr + 24hrs ◊ 30 days) $3375 + $1476 = $4851. Is that accurate?

TheWeatherman
07-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Can anyone fresh out of training answer how much you get paid while training? Is it monthly minimums ($45/75hrs) and 24/7 per diem ($2.05/hr + 24hrs ◊ 30 days) $3375 + $1476 = $4851. Is that accurate?
You only get perdiem while at a location away from home training. You do not get it if at home in-between training events. Not sure about CBTs, but since you are at home I don't think you get per-diem their either.

Keep in mind that the first 30 days you just get paid $60 a day perdiem. But since it is tax free it is not as bad as you think when compared to what you see after your MMG is taxed. Only a few hundred dollars difference.

TheWeatherman
07-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Now I see a 10/17 hire with a line in ewr for August. So 3 months of training and 7 months of rsv.
Correct, I was actually surprised it was so long there.

McCringleberry
07-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Could someone make a list Base/DOH Junior Pilot/ DOH Junior Lineholder similar to the one on the Endeavor forum? It really helped when setting expectations on how quick to get into base.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/endeavor-air/114546-most-junior-fos-lineholders-base.html

Sos21
08-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Could someone make a list Base/DOH Junior Pilot/ DOH Junior Lineholder similar to the one on the Endeavor forum? It really helped when setting expectations on how quick to get into base.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/endeavor-air/114546-most-junior-fos-lineholders-base.html

I second this

Sos21
08-15-2018, 07:32 PM
You only get perdiem while at a location away from home training. You do not get it if at home in-between training events. Not sure about CBTs, but since you are at home I don't think you get per-diem their either.

Keep in mind that the first 30 days you just get paid $60 a day perdiem. But since it is tax free it is not as bad as you think when compared to what you see after your MMG is taxed. Only a few hundred dollars difference.

Isnít there a portion of the sign on bonus paid in the first month as well?

intherightseat
08-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Sos.. Search button. Or just scroll down. Better than reopening a month old thread. This should give you plenty of info.

First Officer BASE DROPS- Initial and Monthly
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=113116&share_tid=103288&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eairlinepilotforums%2Ecom%2 Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D103288&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dontfly
08-21-2018, 01:22 AM

The $60 is taxed just as heavily as a normal paycheck so you do not make much first month. Break out the Ramen noodles.

TheWeatherman
08-21-2018, 06:16 AM
The $60 is taxed just as heavily as a normal paycheck so you do not make much first month. Break out the Ramen noodles.
Fire your tax professional if you paid taxes on it. Republic does not subtract taxes from it nor should you come tax time. I think you are confusing taxes taken out of your bonus as taxes taken out of your stipend. I went back and looked at my old pay stubs and that is exactly what they show.

zanfarroway
08-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Fire your tax professional if you paid taxes on it. Republic does not subtract taxes from it nor should you come tax time. I think you are confusing taxes taken out of your bonus as taxes taken out of your stipend. I went back and looked at my old pay stubs and that is exactly what they show.

Not what the crewpay lady told us in 08/07 class. She said everything was taxed and my 1st paycheck had about 25% of the total taxed.

deftone
08-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Not what the crewpay lady told us in 08/07 class. She said everything was taxed and my 1st paycheck had about 25% of the total taxed.

Im not sure about Republic, but I have never paid tax on a per diem??

Dontfly
08-21-2018, 11:09 AM

It used to be non taxed. According to RPA they had to change the policy due to tax law. It is not eligible to be considered non taxed.

TheWeatherman
08-21-2018, 11:34 AM
It used to be non taxed. According to RPA they had to change the policy due to tax law. It is not eligible to be considered non taxed.
That sucks. But the $7500 extra you guys are receiving from what people were getting before should more then cover that expense.

Gjet
08-23-2018, 02:01 PM

So for the first 30 days, you only get $1800? No other non-perdiem pay? What about non-perdiem pay for months 2 and 3 during training/IOE?

dera
08-23-2018, 02:13 PM
So for the first 30 days, you only get $1800? No other non-perdiem pay? What about non-perdiem pay for months 2 and 3 during training/IOE?

Min guarantee after 30 days.

Gjet
08-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Min guarantee after 30 days.

Thank you!

njd1
08-23-2018, 06:29 PM

You'll get $1800 in stipend (I refuse to call that a per diem as it confuses the issue with the "real" per diem you get on trips) and $1500 of your signing bonus in the first 30 days. Chop about 30% off that for taxes and that's your take home for the first month.

After 30 days min guarantee kicks in so it's 75 hours * $45 = $3375. After successful completion of IOE, which is running about 3.5 months from DOH, you get another $8500 of the signing bonus. That will be the last bonus you see until year 2 on property.

After IOE you are paid min guarantee (75 hours) when on reserve (since no one exceeds 75 hours on reserve as best I can tell), and then ($45 * actual credit hours) when you get a line. It is not uncommon for people with lines to credit 85 hours a month. Not a ton of extra cash but every bit counts.

Gjet
08-24-2018, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=njd1;2661077]You'll get $1800 in stipend (I refuse to call that a per diem as it confuses the issue with the "real" per diem you get on trips) and $1500 of your signing bonus in the first 30 days. Chop about 30% off that for taxes and that's your take home for the first month...."

Thank you! That last part brings up one last question, how easy/common is it to pick up extra time if you want as a new f/o, and if you can do it, is it at regular pay or do they sometimes have critical 150/200% pay?

greendotplus10
08-24-2018, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=njd1;2661077]You'll get $1800 in stipend (I refuse to call that a per diem as it confuses the issue with the "real" per diem you get on trips) and $1500 of your signing bonus in the first 30 days. Chop about 30% off that for taxes and that's your take home for the first month...."

Thank you! That last part brings up one last question, how easy/common is it to pick up extra time if you want as a new f/o, and if you can do it, is it at regular pay or do they sometimes have critical 150/200% pay?

You can pick up open time (overtime) on your days off if you choose. There's even an option on our schedule app that lets us choose if we want to be contacted by crew scheduling on days off if flying becomes available. It's usually at regular pay, unless you exceed 87 (?) hours a month, then it's 125% (again, ?). There is also yellow flag and red flag pay which is offered if they are having trouble finding someone to do it. I'm not completely sure on these numbers, because I'm more of a min credit kind of guy (I prefer more days off), but a lot of guys pick up extra flying.

Gjet
08-24-2018, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=greendotplus10;2661417][QUOTE=Gjet;2661398]

You can pick up open time (overtime) on your days off if you choose...."

Greendot...thanks for great info!.

Web265
08-25-2018, 03:57 AM
On the topic of reserve....anyone have intel on decent hotels with a crew rate for sitting reserve for a couple months in LGA? I'm right on the border of 2 hour drive (depending on time of day etc) and looking for options.
thanks in advance....

Random Task
08-25-2018, 04:17 AM
But for the love of god, pick up extra flying off the trade board, not open time.

The reason our open time is straight pay is because so many people pick it up!

TheWeatherman
08-25-2018, 05:32 AM
But for the love of god, pick up extra flying off the trade board, not open time.

If you can, but sometimes a lot of stuff on the trade board is junk or doesn't match up with your days off. If it is a choice between a crappy 18 hour 4 day on the trade board or a 23 hour 4 day on open time, I am picking up that open time trip.

joefly
09-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Have class date in October...looking to get LGA, EWR, or PHL....whatís reserve time for LGA and if your on reserve how does that exactly work being new to 121 world? I assume you report within 2 hours from being called but is there a cutoff time where your cut off for the day from reserve?

ChopNDrop
09-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Have class date in October...looking to get LGA, EWR, or PHL....what’s reserve time for LGA and if your on reserve how does that exactly work being new to 121 world? I assume you report within 2 hours from being called but is there a cutoff time where your cut off for the day from reserve?

Take a look at other threads in the RAH section.. specifically "Base Drops" has a lot of answers to the questions you may have.. That being said, right now LGA and CMH are short to no time (due to training delays) on reserves for a new hire. You will be hard pressed to get PHL out of training right now, jury is out on EWR.

Jungle Jim
09-04-2018, 05:36 AM
Take a look at other threads in the RAH section.. specifically "Base Drops" has a lot of answers to the questions you may have.. That being said, right now LGA and CMH are short to no time (due to training delays) on reserves for a new hire. You will be hard pressed to get PHL out of training right now, jury is out on EWR.

EWR has 35 vacancies for January - significantly more than any other base. I also know several new hires have been awarded EWR in their first bid during training. (Not initial bid)

TheWeatherman
09-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Just be aware that the high vacancies are because they are taking on more FOs right now then they actually need in anticipation for future expansion. So they vacancies are somewhat inflated because they need to put these new hires somewhere. Reserve times will most likely go up across the board. And I know the next question everybody is going to ask, no I don’t know by how much.

Viking6
09-04-2018, 08:14 AM

Unfortunately a minority of our pilots think this way. Iím in the left seat, and havenít picked up anything in open time this year. I may swap, but thatís about it. Premium pay is non existent now, so I certainly wouldnít count on any extra for OT. Their goal is to only use yellow (150%), and only during IROPs.

Jungle Jim
09-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Just be aware that the high vacancies are because they are taking on more FOs right now then they actually need in anticipation for future expansion. So they vacancies are somewhat inflated because they need to put these new hires somewhere. Reserve times will most likely go up across the board. And I know the next question everybody is going to ask, no I donít know by how much.

Well I hope we staff all the reserves to CMH and IND because we sure need them there :rolleyes:

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1