Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Flying Fatigued

tennesseeflyboy
07-13-2018, 06:34 PM
How do you guys and gals handle being fatigued and showing up to fly ? Only difference between flying fatigued and flying under the influence is a **** test ....... think about it

TiredSoul
07-13-2018, 06:47 PM
Iíll take the bait.
You sign Ďfit to flyí donít you?

dera
07-13-2018, 07:22 PM
How do you guys and gals handle being fatigued and showing up to fly ? Only difference between flying fatigued and flying under the influence is a **** test ....... think about it

It's a breathalyzer, not a **** test.
Think about it.

sky jet
07-13-2018, 09:10 PM
The FAA requires every airline to have a Fatigue Risk Management program. You simply watch the video or attend the class and then call in fatigued if necessary. I thought about it. I don't understand your question.

Purpleanga
07-13-2018, 09:18 PM
I think most get fatigued on the job, they don’t show up fatigued as you imply in your question. The way you handle fatigue is to use as little energy as possible. Turn on the autopilot, mediate, etc. not advocating you do it, but if you can in the crew room or something even a 10 to 30 min nap can keep you going for a couple of more extra hours.

JohnBurke
07-14-2018, 07:00 PM
How do you guys and gals handle being fatigued and showing up to fly ?

I handle it by showing up rested.

Problem solved.

PA31
07-15-2018, 09:37 AM

I sleep during the day so I donít show up fatigued.

tennesseeflyboy
07-15-2018, 10:13 AM
I think most get fatigued on the job, they donít show up fatigued as you imply in your question. The way you handle fatigue is to use as little energy as possible. Turn on the autopilot, mediate, etc. not advocating you do it, but if you can in the crew room or something even a 10 to 30 min nap can keep you going for a couple of more extra hours.

Yes all good points ....... BUT no one answered about hub turning

JohnBurke
07-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Indeed I did. Perhaps you weren't listening.

Reactivity
07-15-2018, 09:58 PM

Not sure why you think this is difficult.

A long duty day is a long duty day no matter where you are. I'd argue that hub turns are easier because you have a couple of hours to eat, sit, and rest.

Elevation
07-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Predictability is key. We do hub turns and they are relatively predictable. I have to plan sleep and exercise a little bit, but itís not bad. For one of our customers, our company consistently builds lines where pilots fly during the day one day, all night the next, the day after, back to nights, etc. Those are a little worse, but also still manageable since you can still anticipate things.

When schedules change every couple hours planning rest and exercise becomes very difficult.

tennesseeflyboy
07-17-2018, 04:54 AM
Indeed I did. Perhaps you weren't listening.

Ok then, let me rephrase this to be more specific about Fatigue.
How many folks are calling in fatigued ? How many of you have made a fatigue call ? Does making a fatigue call make a difference ? Is anyone fearful of making a fatigue call ?

Diesel8
07-17-2018, 05:01 AM
How many folks are calling in fatigued ? How many of you have made a fatigue call ? Does making a fatigue call make a difference ? Is anyone fearful of making a fatigue call ?

Simply it is this:

"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

Fatigue is part of flying - deal with it.

Of course you could do what 99% of crews do - hope & wait for the Captain to call in fatigued.

Reactivity
07-17-2018, 10:29 AM

I have made the call a handful of times in 22 years of professional flying. At the part 135 job I had, it made you pretty unpopular. I was even reprimanded once for not telling our scheduling/dispatch sooner that I was going to be fatigued. But under 121 with a FRMP, there is no fear of making a fatigue call unless you're doing it frequently, in which case you're either abusing the program or not adjusting properly to the requirements of the job.

kc10/c130
07-17-2018, 02:48 PM
15 yrs of 121 flying and only a few fatigue calls. Absolutely no questions whatsoever. On one call the duty officer wanted to know why I didn't call earlier.

HercDriver130
07-17-2018, 03:15 PM

How about you answer your own questions first... then perhaps you will get some responses.....

CaptainYoda
07-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Fatigue management is part of the job and has wide range of solutions.
I sleep when and where I can, avoid caffeine and garbage foods and work out whenever possible.

Some folks take vitamin c supplements, others take melatonin (or something similar) to regulate sleep cycles.

If fatigue is a problem, that part of the industry might not be for you.