Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Crew cooler

Indyjetav8er
07-16-2018, 09:22 AM
eBags, aerocast, strongbag, or something else. I usually eat 2 meals a day. Which is your favorite

ZapBrannigan
07-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Aerocoast EFB2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orionreturns
07-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Its been a decade since I flew 121 but I'm coming back, help me understand how you use these coolers. lets say you have a three day trip. Do you really bring 3 days worth of food and keep it cold for 3 days? if so, how do you keep it cold all the time, seems like it would be a job itself to keep on top of it. I totally understand for a day trip. I'm sure I'm missing something. If its non perishable stuff you bring why does the bag need to be a cooler?

Skyward
07-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Its been a decade since I flew 121 but I'm coming back, help me understand how you use these coolers. lets say you have a three day trip. Do you really bring 3 days worth of food and keep it cold for 3 days? if so, how do you keep it cold all the time, seems like it would be a job itself to keep on top of it. I totally understand for a day trip. I'm sure I'm missing something. If its non perishable stuff you bring why does the bag need to be a cooler?

Some do actually bring full meals for the trip. I flew with a guy recently that even had a little heater to warm food from his cooler, lol. That’s way over the top, IMO.

I use mine for those times when I know I’m getting in late and nothin’s open, or food while commuting/deadheading or day trips. I use a headache bag that doesnt sweat and fill it with ice from the hotel. Keeps a subway sandwich, grilled chicken salad or whatever else cool for the day. I also try to bring healthier snacks: celery sticks, carrot sticks, etc. That’s my method. It’s way too much work to carry food for a whole trip, IMO.

I use a combo bag that carries my headset, etc. plus has a smaller cooler built in.

Riverside
07-22-2018, 05:09 PM

You don't know how to keep food cold?

4thLevel
07-24-2018, 02:00 AM
You don't know how to keep food cold?

No, I think the question being asked is - "do you seriously pack food to work like you're going camping - as a professional pilot"?

I wonder the same thing.

TiredSoul
07-24-2018, 03:26 AM
Yeah what the F.
Yíall got a gluten allergy or what?
Canít eat airplane food?
Airport food?
I used to fly 135 with this guy that would drag 150lbs of food around trying to save his per diem.
Címon bro

BoxFlyer
07-24-2018, 03:45 AM
Airline pilots cheap, no way!!

ZapBrannigan
07-24-2018, 03:54 AM
They took the peanuts away and the pretzels are dry! These pretzels are making me thirsty! What am I supposed to eat?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180724/09f87ed78c14abed5f0d5504fe8d085f.gif

BigWillyCapt
07-24-2018, 04:02 AM
To each his own. I usually try to pack something. Depends on the trip and how much time I have to prepare. Sure is nice to have something to eat when that 2 hour leg turns into 4.5. Ruined my Pappacita's breakfast burrito plan.

Lewbronski
07-24-2018, 06:51 AM
No, I think the question being asked is - "do you seriously pack food to work like you're going camping - as a professional pilot"?

I wonder the same thing.

Eating airport, (most) restaurant, and hotel food for half the week until age 65 will dramatically increase your chances for diseases of lifestyle like heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimerís, etc and will take years off your life. But, to each his own. I choose to mitigate that risk by bringing my own food because Iíve seen and heard how bad it can be to slowly die in those ways. Sure, weíre all going to die somehow, some day. I prefer to minimize the chances of dying earlier than I need to in those ways. Thatís cool if you donít have the same preference.

at6d
07-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Iíve seen many pilots with a Strongbags cooler. The most common complaint is having to carry too many bags. Finding a cooler with dry space for headsets and such is the challenge.

ZapBrannigan
07-24-2018, 10:53 AM
I donít understand how the headache bag works. I fill it with ice, but it still doesnít seem to be cold enough to keep food cold if there wasnít a fridge in the hotel the night before.

Guess I need to ask one of the FAs to show me.

I agree re: the dry space problem. I bought a lunchbox cooler at Costco and Iíve been using that. Still carying 3 bags, but the lunchbox can go in my suitcase once itís empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karnak
07-24-2018, 11:11 AM
I carry a Johnny Quest metal lunch box (with thermos), stuffed with Space Food Sticks and Tang.

Std Deviation
07-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Eating airport, (most) restaurant, and hotel food for half the week until age 65 will dramatically increase your chances for diseases of lifestyle like heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimerís, etc and will take years off your life. But, to each his own. I choose to mitigate that risk by bringing my own food because Iíve seen and heard how bad it can be to slowly die in those ways. Sure, weíre all going to die somehow, some day. I prefer to minimize the chances of dying earlier than I need to in those ways. Thatís cool if you donít have the same preference.

The fact that a large percentage of the pilot population is out of shape and overweight says that the guys squawking about carting food arenít buying salads three meals a day. Healthy issues aside, I get tired of the Sysco mass processed crap dumped from a can into a warmer and thrown on a plate. Even that ďhealthy chickenĒ on the salad got pumped with preservatives and got pulled from a frozen zip lock bag a week ago. As a guy with culinary training and a passion for BBQ and cooking I can rock some pretty good meals. But yeah, without a fridge about 2 days is all the travel I get.

e6bpilot
07-24-2018, 11:55 AM
I have the LW cooler tote combo which is not great at being either.
I bring 2 meals and some fruit with me. I figure it saves $30 a trip and I consume less crap than I would otherwise.
I am considering the jump to a bigger cooler (third bag) but I donít know if I want the extra luggage.
To each their own.

ZapBrannigan
07-24-2018, 01:05 PM
I have an Aerocoast flight bag which I love.

So Iím thinking of getting this Aerocoast cooler bag.

https://www.**************/aerocoast-cooler-laptop-accessories-organizer-flight-attendant-bag-395.html

Looks great but again, where do I keep my dry items like headsets, ball cap, first aid kit, flashlight, Passport and other junk that I carry with me?

Also looks like it needs an accessory to attach a water bottle holder to the side.

E6BPilot - What folds do you pack and how do you keep them cold at night if thereís no fridge in the room?

Zard
07-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Iíve got the strongbags cooler. I toss two cooler shock lunch freezer packs in there. Shoving those against the back of a fridge (with no freezer) set on max will freeze them up for the next day. If that doesnít work I can always toss them in a bucket full of ice prior to heading out the next day and then throw them in the bag.

I usually grill up some flank steaks or pork tenderloins and throw fruit, carrots, hummus, and protein bars in my bag. The bag fits outboard of the FO seat.

I toss a backpack for my headset and iPad and random commuting crap on the handle and hang my food bag off the j hook. It hits the spot when a PM slides or Skeds hooks me up with one of those -9 minute MDW turns. Iím still figuring out what to pare down. The downside is it doesnít carry the EFB or my headset conveniently....hence the backpack.

e6bpilot
07-24-2018, 10:59 PM
I have an Aerocoast flight bag which I love.

So Iím thinking of getting this Aerocoast cooler bag.

https://www.**************/aerocoast-cooler-laptop-accessories-organizer-flight-attendant-bag-395.html

Looks great but again, where do I keep my dry items like headsets, ball cap, first aid kit, flashlight, Passport and other junk that I carry with me?

Also looks like it needs an accessory to attach a water bottle holder to the side.

E6BPilot - What folds do you pack and how do you keep them cold at night if thereís no fridge in the room?

I always freeze my meals prior to packing them. This goes a long way in maintaining a cold environment in the bag for the first day. This also helps keep produce and salads cold.
If there is no fridge, I refill my ice bag (Walmart headache bag size large) before I go to bed and when I wake up. I put it on top of the food. That generally does a decent job of keeping stuff cool. If I have a lot of bulk or I am concerned, I will put extra ice in a plastic baggie or trash bucket liner in there.
All my food is generally gone by the second day since I only pack two meals. The fruit can be kept under questionable refrigeration since it is fruit and it will survive just fine. Sometimes I bring yogurt or hummus as well and it always stays cold enough that I am not concerned.
For breakfast I generally bring healthy instant oatmeal or steal Belvita bars from the plane if I forget. I supplement with blueberries from home. The oatmeal can be prepared in a microwave or if I am on an AM I get hot water from the coffee pot.
If I am near a Trader Joeís or grocery store, I will generally pick up a salad or other healthy, easy meal while I am out on a walk.
Being Houston based, I do run into the unfortunate situation of going through customs a lot. In that case, I plan accordingly.

None of this is to say that I donít fall into the airline pilot trap of getting a fatty Airport lunch, but by packing meals and forcing myself to eat them since I hate wasting food, I definitely cut down on those instances.

There have been a few times where I have thrown away food if I felt it got too warm for too long or if it somehow makes it to day 3 and I donít feel comfortable with it.

bitatasg
07-25-2018, 04:27 AM
Iíve had this rtic cooler for 6 months. It ainít small, but it keeps my stuff cold. It fits outboard of the FO seat nicely. They have a sale occasionally for $80.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/softpak/Soft-Pack-20-Tan

Oh yeah, I bring most of my own food so I donít end up looking like 90% of you.

Thanks.

Qotsaautopilot
07-26-2018, 02:45 AM
Yeah what the F.
Yíall got a gluten allergy or what?
Canít eat airplane food?
Airport food?
I used to fly 135 with this guy that would drag 150lbs of food around trying to save his per diem.
Címon bro

Ever worked at a regional for $22/hr. You HAVE to save your per diem. Old habits die hard.

Aside from the obvious health reasons already brought up (airport salad is garbage btw) I find that I fight fatigue much better when I pack my own food. I can eat when Iím hungry instead of being starving and then gorging. I eat small meals throughout the day. And while not having a fridge is inconvenient you just keep it cold the same way you do during the day. Headache bag filled with ice from the ice machine. I canít say Iíve ever gotten sick from anything Iíve packed because of questionable temp. Most stuff gets microwaved so Iíd assume thatís probably killing anything. Raw items like vegetables I always make sure is right under the ice.

WHACKMASTER
07-26-2018, 05:13 AM
Ever worked at a regional for $22/hr. You HAVE to save your per diem. Old habits die hard.

Stop bragging. I started flying a regional jet at $16.18/hr. Our first year FAs made more an hour than first year FOs. :eek:

NorskAir
07-26-2018, 03:30 PM
Iíve had this rtic cooler for 6 months. It ainít small, but it keeps my stuff cold. It fits outboard of the FO seat nicely. They have a sale occasionally for $80.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/softpak/Soft-Pack-20-Tan

Oh yeah, I bring most of my own food so I donít end up looking like 90% of you.

Thanks.

Full of yourself much?

at6d
07-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Stop bragging. I started flying a regional jet at $16.18/hr. Our first year FAs made more an hour than first year FOs. :eek:

LOL. One day I had a lifer SF3 captain point out to me that the guy sucking the **** out of the lav made double what I did, and I was the one with the degree.

ZapBrannigan
08-07-2018, 03:33 AM
$13,000 a year to be a Jetstream 31 FO. Minimums were 1500 TT and 500 ME.

We were outstation based so all of the crews lived together in an occasionally condemned rowhouse in Johnstown PA.

No autopilot or FMC so we actually hand flew the airplane 6-10 legs a day. No FAs so we briefed the pax and if we wanted coffee we snuck onto a Saab and stole it like real men.

But tell me how bad you RJ guys had it... 🤨

Fleet Warp
08-07-2018, 03:55 AM

We were outstation based so all of the crews lived together in an occasionally condemned rowhouse in Johnstown PA.

No autopilot or FMC so we actually hand flew the airplane 6-10 legs a day. No FAs so we briefed the pax and if we wanted coffee we snuck onto a Saab and stole it like real men.

And you had to walk uphill to work both ways in the snow?;)

ZapBrannigan
08-07-2018, 08:04 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180807/6d5f23735df97bb144b4112d173b229d.jpg

squib
08-07-2018, 11:57 PM

You can try calculating inflation from 30 year old pay rates too. Plus times have changed. Stick with your ways though and everyone else should suffer because you think you did.

Caveman
08-08-2018, 04:50 AM
You can try calculating inflation from 30 year old pay rates too. Plus times have changed. Stick with your ways though and everyone else should suffer because you think you did.I'm guessing your struggle is real

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/c2f8a06cc7bf6aacbb40f16b48bf91c1.jpg

WHACKMASTER
08-08-2018, 05:26 AM
You can try calculating inflation from 30 year old pay rates too. Plus times have changed. Stick with your ways though and everyone else should suffer because you think you did.

Lighten up, Francis. No one is wishing the same thing that we had to go through on those coming through the pipeline nowadays. As a matter of fact, I for one am very excited for the career advancement outlook for those that are just starting out.

Itís just interesting to compare notes on our first airline jobs and marvel at how the environment has changed (fortunately).

THEKERNALKLINK
08-10-2018, 04:45 PM
The key is to super freeze your main entrees. My deep freeze gets things down to -40f. I don't use any external devices to assist, the food itself is the frozen mass required. Pack it TIGHT, and you can easily get 3-4 meals in there. By the final night, it's thawed but still very cold. You can stick it in the freezer part of the mini fridge at the hotel for peace of mind.

woog315
08-10-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm guessing your struggle is real

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180808/c2f8a06cc7bf6aacbb40f16b48bf91c1.jpg

God, i love the internet. Mattis did not say that, it was some provocative twitter "comedian"

https://twitter.com/tomilahren/status/895423026535186432?lang=en

at6d
08-11-2018, 04:17 PM
ďI come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, Iíll kill you all.Ē

óAfter the invasion of Iraq -and after sending his tanks and artillery home- Mattis sent this message to the Iraqi leaders in every area his men served in, as quoted in Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq (2006) by Thomas E. Ricks; as excerpted in Armed Forces Journal (August 2006)

Name User
08-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Lighten up, Francis. No one is wishing the same thing that we had to go through on those coming through the pipeline nowadays. As a matter of fact, I for one am very excited for the career advancement outlook for those that are just starting out.

Itís just interesting to compare notes on our first airline jobs and marvel at how the environment has changed (fortunately).

That's very true but few get hired in under a few years, where as that was the norm back then to be hired in your mid 20's at a major carrier. Plus you guys got five extra years out of the deal.

shoelu
08-13-2018, 07:15 AM
I carry the Canadian Ice Flight Cooler by StrongBags.

Canadian Ice Flight Crew Cooler - Coolers & Duffles - Products (http://www.strongbags.com/products/coolers-duffels/canadian-ice-flight-crew-cooler.html)

It is the only bag I carry other than my suitcase. The iPad and my company Telex 850 fit in the top compartment and my flashlight, extra batteries, iPad charger and other miscellaneous items fit in the other side pockets with the few paper charts I carry residing in the bottom zippered compartment.

I normally stock it with high protein snacks to munch on during the day which are designed to tide me over between opportunities to get a hot meal. Also food is a necessity for me when delays or other circumstances beyond my control leave me without an opportunity to access adequate meals.

I fill an old school hot water bottle with water and freeze it solid.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeTop-Premium-Classic-Rubber-Therapy/dp/B00K3NZUPY/ref=zg_bs_3763901_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=3CVR99AWX2Q2MKG563AN&th=1

The hot water bottle takes up 75% of the space in the cooler but leaves plenty of room for hard boiled eggs, chicken satay, string cheese, chicken salad or any number of snacks to get me through my days without ever going hungry when I don't have access to other food options.

The hot water bottle stays frozen for an entire 3 day trip and will still have a small piece of ice in the center most of the time. If I have a refrigerator available at least one night in my room I place the whole cooler inside minus my iPad and headset and that will insure that I have plenty of ice to keep food cold for the entire trip. The bag is most definitely heavy due to the large block of ice inside but I never have to run to the ice machine to keep food cold. It has worked for me for years, YMMV!