Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : The EMB-145

razorback93
07-16-2018, 09:59 AM
I am going to be bidding the 145. My class date is next month. What is the overall opinion of the 145 from a pilot's perspective? What does it do great? What does it do not so great?

Thanks in advance for your time!

crj700
07-16-2018, 10:10 AM
I am going to be bidding the 145. My class date is next month. What is the overall opinion of the 145 from a pilot's perspective? What does it do great? What does it do not so great?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Google WSCOD.

razorback93
07-16-2018, 10:14 AM
I did..thanks for that lol

MD-11Loader
07-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Itís a good airplane. Donít expect amazing speed or performance, sheís a pug when itís hot. The FMS leaves a lot to be desired, but it does the job. Itís a great first jet and an excellent plane to cut your teeth on. It handles well, the systems arenít overly complex, and youíll fly with a lot of great captains. Best of luck to you.

razorback93
07-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to flying with Envoy.

NoValueAviator
07-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Fun to hand fly, lots of feedback coming through the yoke. Slow cruiser, terrible climber - you say "unable - performance" more than you ever thought you would in a jet. Big fat safety margins on everything, hard to kill yourself with it and tons of nice round easily memorized numbers in the book. Quite a few bizarre idiosyncracies. Cuts your power with no warning besides the flight instrument/EICAS indications pulling back when it needs the air for the automatic ice protection. Rickety and cheap construction, makes a lot of noise. FMS has most of what you'd need but is very poorly executed - inefficient, counterintuitive layout and functions hidden away in contexts that don't make sense. Make sure your big ol nuts aren't in the path of that yoke when your captain makes his first landing on IOE, or you're not going to have to worry about sending kids to college.

Overall I like it.

SonicFlyer
07-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Make sure your big ol nuts aren't in the path of that yoke when your captain makes his first landing on IOE, or you're not going to have to worry about sending kids to college.
Funniest thing I have ever read on APC. Ever! :D

ENH017
07-17-2018, 11:26 AM
My biggest complaint about the EMB-145 isn't about the plane at all, its about the schedules. The 145 does most of the short hops for Envoy so you'll see a lot more 5 leg days and really low credit hour OT opportunities.

Podrick
07-17-2018, 12:59 PM
As stated 5 leg days can wear you down, but if theyíre short legs and all through your home base theyíre not bad, unless itís go home day.

On the other hand we have way more of a variety in flying compared to the 175 and especially the CRJ. Youíll do flying through all 4 bases plus Boston and Charlotte. The airplane itself is definitely made for shorter legs, has lots of kinks and youíll learn all the tricks on the line.

Itís not fast but overall itís a solid airplane thatís very forgiving, can be flown almost 250 to the marker and has good landing performance. Pay attention to takeoff performance, especially when itís warm. And donít be surprised when it starts acting strange when itís cold, or when the gpu is plugged in.

NoValueAviator
07-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that but it wouldn't be fair to the jungle jet not to mention it. The flip side to not being able to climb is that the thing will fall out of the sky on command. Very reassuring when they leave you high as they often do.

450knotOffice
07-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that but it wouldn't be fair to the jungle jet not to mention it. The flip side to not being able to climb is that the thing will fall out of the sky on command. Very reassuring when they leave you high as they often do.

So true with that airplane. It comes down like an anvil.

Some jets (like a heavy 321) can neither climb well, nor descend/slow down well.

Beech Dude
07-18-2018, 03:29 AM
Since this is an e jet talk, I've always been curious about the bicycle looking yoke. How do yall like it/hate it?

NoValueAviator
07-18-2018, 04:53 AM
Since this is an e jet talk, I've always been curious about the bicycle looking yoke. How do yall like it/hate it?

As far as shape goes, it does a pretty good job clearing the knees at least for general use (not aileron rolls), but makes it harder to be precise with roll inputs, though the plane is numb in the roll anyway because the ailerons are boosted.

Pedro4President
07-18-2018, 05:02 AM
As far as shape goes, it does a pretty good job clearing the knees at least for general use (not aileron rolls), but makes it harder to be precise with roll inputs, though the plane is pretty numb in the roll anyway because the ailerons are boosted.

Rolling left for CAs and rolling right for FOs is a bit awkward in strong wind landings but not too bad.

Also as said before it's a VERY forgiving airplane with a large envelope at altitude compared to the CRJ.

.58-.78 vs .74-.83 Mach at altitude
250-280 vs 270-310 in the climb

nimslow
07-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Disclaimer, some of these have probably changed since I last flew the WSCOD.

Whats not to love? It's loud and cramped in the cockpit. It's got DV windows, but don't open them. It's got thrust reversers, but don't use them. Be sure to make a pitch trim input on takeoff, or you can lock up the stabilizer. The NWS can have a mind of it's own. The FMS is like a first generation Garmin, that won't really prepare you for using any other FMS. in existence.

I've only had to declare three emergencies in my career, and all of them were in the 145, all resulted in landing with the masks and smoke goggles on.

Absolutly my least favorite of all the jet's I've flown in my life, I won't cry, even a little when the last one is turned into a beer can.

But thats just my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Bid whatever equipment and base will result in the best quality of life.

HardLemonade
07-18-2018, 10:49 AM
You ever bang a girl and actually split second consider not pulling out because it's so much fun?

That's what flying the 145 is like.

SilentLurker
07-18-2018, 05:46 PM
You ever bang a girl and actually split second consider not pulling out because it's so much fun?

That's what flying the 145 is like.

So your saying commit cuz itís so fun!? Alright!

E175 Driver
07-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Its POS period. Cant wait to get off it.

Lahey
07-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Its POS period. Cant wait to get off it.

You fly the 145?

Captain Kirk
07-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Címon. Haters gonna hate.
.78 almost, rear lav for the walk of shame, last generation avionics and FMS, no onboard WiFi.Whatís not to like?!
As the salesman said to Clark Griswold, ď if you hate it now wait to you drive it!Ē
I keed I keed. But the yokes are cool 😎

Cyio
07-19-2018, 02:01 PM
You fly the 145?

If you believe the skit than yes.

E175 Driver
07-19-2018, 02:45 PM
You fly the 145?

Yes, Upgraded few months ago.

Lahey
07-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Yes, Upgraded few months ago.

Nice! Congrats on the upgrade. Why arenít you a fan of the 145?

SonicFlyer
07-19-2018, 04:51 PM
I'll be honest, as a pax on the front left few seats, I love riding on it.

MD-11Loader
07-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Nice! Congrats on the upgrade. Why arenít you a fan of the 145?

Because heís a child of the 175 and hates having to work on an airplane that makes him work.

nimslow
07-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Címon. Haters gonna hate.
.78 almost, rear lav for the walk of shame, last generation avionics and FMS, no onboard WiFi.Whatís not to like?!
As the salesman said to Clark Griswold, ď if you hate it now wait to you drive it!Ē
I keed I keed. But the yokes are cool 😎

My go to meme for the 737, but since you brought it up..

https://i.imgur.com/3eua7cW.jpg

SoFloFlyer
07-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Because heís a child of the 175 and hates having to work on an airplane that makes him work.

This is funny 😂😂😂

E175 Driver
07-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Work smarter...not harder you numbnuts.

Swakid8
07-21-2018, 04:21 PM

This lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NoValueAviator
07-21-2018, 07:14 PM
you think flying the slimbraer is hard work huh?

it's a POS in many ways but that it makes you work hard is not one of them.

SoFloFlyer
07-21-2018, 09:28 PM

What plane makes you work harder?

450knotOffice
07-21-2018, 09:49 PM

and

Work hard? No. However, for those whoíve become accustomed to Autothrottles for speed control and VNAV for path control, to suddenly have no autothrottles or VNAV means they have to actually control speed ON THEIR OWN and manage the descent ON THEIR OWN. Oh, the HORROR! 🙄

RawHide
07-21-2018, 11:10 PM
The good news is FMS programming takes less than a minute.

MD-11Loader
07-22-2018, 01:39 AM
Work smarter...not harder you numbnuts.

Learn to use the skill that your mommy and daddy paid for you degenerate.

Swakid8
07-22-2018, 05:39 AM

MD-80, 727s, Dash 8s,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoValueAviator
07-22-2018, 05:43 AM

Bunch of them basically.

E175 Driver
07-22-2018, 06:19 AM
The good news is FMS programming takes less than a minute.

I wouldn't even call it an FMS. Its an old GPS with 1990 technology garbage.

Lahey
07-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Baaahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahha

MD-11Loader
07-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Itís a graphing calculator with a bigger screen.

flysooner9
07-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Itís a graphing calculator with a bigger screen.

Sort of a bigger screen...

inky13
07-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Sort of a bigger screen...

And with less resolution....

OKLATEX
07-23-2018, 04:36 PM
I’m showing my age, but, I loved the 145. Granted I came off a 19 seat turboprop which I enjoyed flying too. Coming off the props, everything was an improvement!:D

Yeah, they were the lastest and greatest at the time for me, the 170s were nothing but an idea an and a mockup. But as previously mentioned the 145 was a great first jet and builds a great foundation for other airplanes you’ll fly.

You’ll have the rest of your career to play with the ‘magic’ airplanes. I truly hope you enjoy the Jungle Jet/Lawn Dart and all its nuisances. Having to do mental math and plan your descents/energy management will serve you well when you do come over to a Boeing/Douglas/Airbus/Embraer with all the magic.

As mentioned, I flew it at a totally different time, but the flying I did on it was some of the most fun I’ve had. I’ve had a lot of fun on other airplanes, but the EMB-145 is special. I would love to jump in it and do a couple of turns.

Good luck!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1