Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : A Hall For The Hopefuls

210Av8r
07-17-2018, 08:24 AM
As Iím approaching meeting all Compass hiring requirements and a hopeful hire, Iím interested in hearing from other hopefuls and those who get hired. Compass is #1 on my list so Iíd like to keep my finger on the pulse of the hiring temperature there.

Iím thinking this thread could be a place for the Hopefuls to exchange info about their progress in the hiring chain, and cheer on those who have made it to the Snack Box Haven.

Iím a 1440 hour ASEL pilot with much of that time in a 210 Iíve owned for a while. Should be done with my AMEL/Comm shortly. Had to switch flight schools last week due to a collapsed nose gear on their Seminole (doh!), No, it didnít happen during my training.

I have a great mentor within Compass (you know who you are) who gives me scoops of reality and it still doesnít scare me off. Ha.

Iím losing circulation in my fingers due to keeping them crossed so tightly that Iíll get a call for an interview once I get the AMEL/Comm.

TheNotoriousPIC
07-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Here is my progress:

I have all ATP mins, college degree with good gpa, everything up to date on airline apps.

Applied last Friday, no response yet. Fingers crossed, I'd be very excited to work for them.

VIRotate
07-17-2018, 10:40 AM
Here is my progress:

I have all ATP mins, college degree with good gpa, everything up to date on airline apps.

Applied last Friday, no response yet. Fingers crossed, I'd be very excited to work for them.

Pmíed you!

Filler

TheNotoriousPIC
07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
PM replied, thank you VIRotate

VIRotate
07-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Anytime!!!

Beechnutz
07-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Iím here pulling for ya buddy!

Esquamel
07-17-2018, 04:02 PM
I've been lurking for a while. This topic is pertinent enough that I should probably end my lurking phase and say hello. I've been enjoying following the saga. You all are a lot of fun.

I started flying as a hobby in the mid 90's and went through instrument and multi-commercial thinking that I might undertake a career change someday. Now I'm in my late 40's and thinking that if I ever want to experience the airline pilot life for myself, the window is closing. You only live once and all that.

I have 950 hours total with the other ATP requirements are met. I'm not R-ATP eligible so I'm working towards 1500 TT. My day job is largely contract based and the work is slowing down, so I've had time to get out and fly a lot lately.

I dream of being a 1440 hour pilot! Those last few hours would go very quickly. Congratulations on being so close!

210Av8r
07-17-2018, 04:15 PM
I dream of being a 1440 hour pilot! Those last few hours would go very quickly. Congratulations on being so close!

Welcome! I know 1440 should feel close but it still seems so far away. Iím sure Iíll feel a lot closer once the check ride is behind me. Nonetheless, Iíve been having a great time flying my a$$ off lately. :)

Motoxer66
07-19-2018, 07:14 AM
Welcome! I know 1440 should feel close but it still seems so far away. Iím sure Iíll feel a lot closer once the check ride is behind me. Nonetheless, Iíve been having a great time flying my a$$ off lately. :)

I've been lurking for a while. This topic is pertinent enough that I should probably end my lurking phase and say hello. I've been enjoying following the saga. You all are a lot of fun.

I started flying as a hobby in the mid 90's and went through instrument and multi-commercial thinking that I might undertake a career change someday. Now I'm in my late 40's and thinking that if I ever want to experience the airline pilot life for myself, the window is closing. You only live once and all that.

I have 950 hours total with the other ATP requirements are met. I'm not R-ATP eligible so I'm working towards 1500 TT. My day job is largely contract based and the work is slowing down, so I've had time to get out and fly a lot lately.

Keep up the good work guys, soon enough you'll be out on the line with everyone ODing on frosted Oreo's and left over first class meals :cool:

PapaJaime
07-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Here’s to being a hopeful. Applied 7/3, no word yet, so still hoping.

I am a CFI in Texas ready to escape the heat, 42C right now! 150 hours to go and building time at roughly 100/month.

The CP forum gets me through the day! Pure greatness! :D

...hoping for word soon!

LRSRanger
07-19-2018, 02:57 PM
I wanna say it took a couple weeks for them to get back to me after I put in my app last Mar. I interviewed in April.

29singlespeed
07-19-2018, 05:31 PM
it's looking good that i will be getting the r-atp endorsement on my transcripts. Graduated from ERAU pre- r-atp and returning to aviation. Currently working PT135 and will have R-Atp min's in the next 4-6 months. Any insider's know if Compass hires R-Atp?

Also - how is compass different than GoJet and TSA? Since they are all owned by the same holding. Don't need to go into the fiasco/history of GoJet/TSA but curious if Compass was created in the same way.

I am looking at Compass specifically because of the bases reducing my commute time and pay/contract looks better than Skywest. Horizon is on the list but I rather stay PHX area.

Esquamel
07-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Hereís to being a hopeful. Applied 7/3, no word yet, so still hoping.

I am a CFI in Texas ready to escape the heat, 42C right now! 150 hours to go and building time at roughly 100/month.

The CP forum gets me through the day! Pure greatness! :D

...hoping for word soon!

Hoping you get a call soon too.

When you say 150 hours to go, are you counting up towards 1500 or 1450? Iím under the impression that a conditional job offer will require you to get to 1450 prior to your class date with the remaining 50 coming in class or leading up to IOE, but I donít actually know that.

Esquamel
07-19-2018, 05:38 PM
it's looking good that i will be getting the r-atp endorsement on my transcripts. Graduated from ERAU pre- r-atp and returning to aviation. Currently working PT135 and will have R-Atp min's in the next 4-6 months. Any insider's know if Compass hires R-Atp?

The Compass website says applicants can be R-ATP eligible. (http://www.compassairline.com/careers/Pages/Pilots.aspx)

29singlespeed
07-19-2018, 05:42 PM
The Compass website says applicants can be R-ATP eligible. (http://www.compassairline.com/careers/Pages/Pilots.aspx)

Yup, I should of been more clear -- do they actually hire at R-Atp times?

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Yes, counting up to 1500 - only 150 more to go. Iíve heard most regionals want 1475, with some exceptions. Curious to know what the hard line is for CP...

I think our rule is you have to be able to take a class within 6 months, so sounds like you are good to go.

yrbroom
07-19-2018, 06:05 PM
Yep, within 6 months of a class date. And they want minimum 1475 going into class, not 1450.

PapaJaime
07-19-2018, 06:13 PM
I think our rule is you have to be able to take a class within 6 months, so sounds like you are good to go.

Awesome! I hope to get a call soon. Former CP captain I know had great things to say, so Iíll sit here and twiddle my thumbs in the heat! :cool:

FlytheSky
07-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Also - how is compass different than GoJet and TSA? Since they are all owned by the same holding. Don't need to go into the fiasco/history of GoJet/TSA but curious if Compass was created in the same way.

I am looking at Compass specifically because of the bases reducing my commute time and pay/contract looks better than Skywest. Horizon is on the list but I rather stay PHX area.

To answer your question about Compass in relation to GoJet, and Trans States, think of us as an "adopted sister" airline. We're not from the same parents. Compass was formed out of the Northwest Airlines bankruptcy and then handed over to Delta when they merged. Part of this formation included a "flow up" and "flow down" (first to Northwest, then to Delta after the merger). Delta didn't want a wholly owned airline in 2010, so they sold us (and TSH decided to buy us). For a long time, Compass kept much of the leadership and didn't conform to the "TSH way" although that's unfortunately been changing the last few years. The flow also went away when Delta sold us (guys hired at Compass prior to the sale were still allowed to flow, but the last of those guys left in late 2015-early 2016). So long story short, Compass is not a "black mark" on your resume should you come here. In fact, Delta seems to hire a very large number of Compass guys especially when considering our relatively small size in relation to other regionals.

Hope that answers your question. :)

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-20-2018, 08:14 AM
To answer your question about Compass in relation to GoJet, and Trans States, think of us as an "adopted sister" airline. We're not from the same parents. Compass was formed out of the Northwest Airlines bankruptcy and then handed over to Delta when they merged. Part of this formation included a "flow up" and "flow down" (first to Northwest, then to Delta after the merger). Delta didn't want a wholly owned airline in 2010, so they sold us (and TSH decided to buy us). For a long time, Compass kept much of the leadership and didn't conform to the "TSH way" although that's unfortunately been changing the last few years. The flow also went away when Delta sold us (guys hired at Compass prior to the sale were still allowed to flow, but the last of those guys left in late 2015-early 2016). So long story short, Compass is not a "black mark" on your resume should you come here. In fact, Delta seems to hire a very large number of Compass guys especially when considering our relatively small size in relation to other regionals.

If Express jet is the "sister wife" to OO, we are like the ..... to TSA and GoJet

Any thoughts CP warriors?

Poser765
07-20-2018, 09:35 AM

Hope that answers your question. :)good wright up. Iíll add on to it just a bit. I donít think go jet is the career killer people would lease you to believe it was 6 or 7 years ago. Largely no one really cares anywabout how Lindbergh came to be.

mpet
07-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Don't go to any of the TSH airlines period.

Stan Dingbye
07-20-2018, 12:39 PM
If Express jet is the "sister wife" to OO, we are like the ..... to TSA and GoJet

How about the ďgangsta side floozy from the left coastĒ?

FlytheSky
07-20-2018, 02:49 PM
good wright up. Iíll add on to it just a bit. I donít think go jet is the career killer people would lease you to believe it was 6 or 7 years ago. Largely no one really cares anywabout how Lindbergh came to be.

"Wright" "Lindbergh"? You taking an aviation history class on the side, Poser? :D

But yes, I don't think the majors care as much about what airline you work for as they did in the past.

Excargodog
07-20-2018, 03:41 PM
How about the ďgangsta side floozy from the left coastĒ?

Sorta like this?

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Sorta like this?

LOL, I'm working on a nice little recruitment video for my APC homies. Should be ready soon. It will be my life's work.

29singlespeed
07-20-2018, 04:30 PM

Definitely. Thank you!

29singlespeed
07-20-2018, 04:32 PM
LOL, I'm working on a nice little recruitment video for my APC homies. Should be ready soon. It will be my life's work.

Looking forward to it.

Starting the application this evening, even without the video.

VIRotate
07-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Definitely side chick. I mean TSA and GoJet always had a this toxic relationship and then one day here come Compass with the beautiful planes that have engines under the wings.

Broing
07-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, R-ATP new hire here. About 2.5 months into training. Previous CFI and 141 graduate. I interviewed around 980 and got a conditional job offer same day. Minimum hours to get hired for R-ATP is 975.

Doing the R-ATP route adds some convolution during training, you'll have to give 2 and counting different people your official sealed transcripts even though they'll say you only need to do it once.

A friend of mine submitted his app and didn't hear anything for about two weeks back in May. I think what he did is go to a local information session and got an interview lined up there. He got the conditional offer with a class date in September.

I applied back in April, got a call a few days later and started class in May. It seems there is a bit of a backlog happening with new hires now but keep on trying, they will get back to you. I'd definitely recommend interviewing early as the offer is good for 6 months, can push your class date back but never forward.

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-21-2018, 01:51 PM
A friend of mine submitted his app and didn't hear anything for about two weeks back in May. I think what he did is go to a local information session and got an interview lined up there. He got the conditional offer with a class date in September.

I applied back in April, got a call a few days later and started class in May. It seems there is a bit of a backlog happening with new hires now but keep on trying, they will get back to you. I'd definitely recommend interviewing early as the offer is good for 6 months, can push your class date back but never forward.

Solid advice, welcome!

210Av8r
07-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Hey guys, R-ATP new hire here. About 2.5 months into training. Previous CFI and 141 graduate. I interviewed around 980 and got a conditional job offer same day. Minimum hours to get hired for R-ATP is 975.

Doing the R-ATP route adds some convolution during training, you'll have to give 2 and counting different people your official sealed transcripts even though they'll say you only need to do it once.

Thanks for the info!

I was within a couple weeks of my AMEL/Comm check ride, then the nose gear decided to collapse on the school's only twin. Fortunately I was not in the plane at the time. That's the kind of scraping sound I don't want to hear. So I had to switch to a different flight school. Not many options around. And my new instructor has a whopping 100 hours AMEL time. Oh, boy!

So after my check ride is out of the way, I'll need to round out from my current 1450 hours to the 1475 which will include 13 more night and hit 25 in the twin. It's so great to have a great excuse to fly my a$$ off lately! In the home stretch! The frustrating part is that I don't seem eligible for a CJO until I get the AMEL/Commercial. Understandable but I'll easily be within 2 months of hitting all the requirements. Patience, patience, patience!

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-21-2018, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info!

I was within a couple weeks of my AMEL/Comm check ride, then the nose gear decided to collapse on the school's only twin. Fortunately I was not in the plane at the time. That's the kind of scraping sound I don't want to hear. So I had to switch to a different flight school. Not many options around. And my new instructor has a whopping 100 hours AMEL time. Oh, boy!

So after my check ride is out of the way, I'll need to round out from my current 1450 hours to the 1475 which will include 13 more night and hit 25 in the twin. It's so great to have a great excuse to fly my a$$ off lately! In the home stretch! The frustrating part is that I don't seem eligible for a CJO until I get the AMEL/Commercial. Understandable but I'll easily be within 2 months of hitting all the requirements. Patience, patience, patience!

We're rootin for ya! I had 23 multi from 8 yrs prior, lol. And no, I never prog checked you haters lol

mpet
07-21-2018, 04:54 PM
Why is it taking our recruiters an eternity to get back to these folks

TeamSasquatch
07-21-2018, 07:03 PM
We're rootin for ya! I had 23 multi from 8 yrs prior, lol. And no, I never prog checked you haters lol

If I ever ride with you guys, Iíll look for you BLS! If Iím correct, you are 8 years older than most new hires, have painted nails, hold the snack basket during boarding and are over weight?

mpet
07-21-2018, 07:04 PM
If I ever ride with you guys, Iíll look for you BLS! If Iím correct, you are 8 years older than most new hires, have painted nails, hold the snack basket during boarding and are over weight?

The giveaway is that he raps west coast classices durimg push

VIRotate
07-21-2018, 07:14 PM
The reason a lot of people aren’t getting calls is because of a training backlog and because of this, classes in the fall months have been reduced from 4 a month to 2. This is also to manage increased upgrades. Right now classes are pretty much full for 2018.

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-21-2018, 07:42 PM

Yeah man, usually people start putting on weight in their 30s, for me, it was like 4th grade. Cant wait to post my new recruitment video, almost ready.

TeamSasquatch
07-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Yeah man, usually people start putting on weight in their 30s, for me, it was like 4th grade. Cant wait to post my new recruitment video, almost ready.

Will it shutdown this thread....

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Will it shutdown this thread....

Ha that's up to you guys, but if I get the option like TillerT, it will be :

A Hall for the Hopefuls 2: Revenge of the Crib"

210Av8r
07-21-2018, 08:04 PM
The reason a lot of people arenít getting calls is because of a training backlog and because of this, classes in the fall months have been reduced from 4 a month to 2. This is also to manage increased upgrades. Right now classes are pretty much full for 2018.

Iíd still be thrilled with a CJO for a training date whenever theyíre available.

metalfeather
07-21-2018, 10:08 PM
Iíd still be thrilled with a CJO for a training date whenever theyíre available.

Same here. I interview in the next few days. I was hoping for a November training class, but now it sounds like I might be in the hiring pool for a while. I love me some pool time, but December can be chilly for a swim.

Can I opt for the hot tub instead?

210Av8r
07-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Same here. I interview in the next few days. I was hoping for a November training class, but now it sounds like I might be in the hiring pool for a while. I love me some pool time, but December can be chilly for a swim.

Good luck on your interview!

Beechnutz
07-22-2018, 07:27 AM

Ah December in MSP.

Good luck hope to see you on the line soon!

Excargodog
07-22-2018, 08:13 AM
Ah December in MSP.

I took a few summer courses at the University of Minnesota once. They were in the process of digging underground tunnels between the basements of several buildings and insulating them with big slabs of styrofoam so students could go from building to building without actually having to go outside.

Allegedly, an out of state freshman or two wander off every year during a snowstorm. Usually the St Bernard's find them in time.

Average MSP temps (deg F)

Hi. Lo
24 8 January
29 13 February
41 24 March

29singlespeed
07-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Submitted my app.. now to see if I hear back.

210Av8r
07-26-2018, 08:00 PM
Submitted my app.. now to see if I hear back.

Best of luck. Keep us posted!

journeybird
07-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Submitted on 7/24, ATP 1900tt/130me, all piston, and no response yet. Haven't been pounding away at flying the last few years, but family situation finally allows for this possibility. Have recent experience but maybe not enough...

29singlespeed
07-29-2018, 05:13 PM
Submitted on 7/24, ATP 1900tt/130me, all piston, and no response yet. Haven't been pounding away at flying the last few years, but family situation finally allows for this possibility. Have recent experience but maybe not enough...

Seems it takes a few weeks to hear back from following along for a bit.

Excargodog
07-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Ah December in MSP.

Ah yes, I remember it well....

TroutBum
07-31-2018, 11:51 AM
1200 TT, 1000 ME, 300 TPIC, military here. I have been out of big turbine aircraft for several years. Unfortunately, I got a thanks but no thanks email from Compass. Fortunately, I got interviews at two other regionals and now have two CJOs to consider.

Good luck to all.

poorflyer
07-31-2018, 12:05 PM
1200 TT, 1000 ME, 300 TPIC, military here. I have been out of big turbine aircraft for several years. Unfortunately, I got a thanks but no thanks email from Compass. Fortunately, I got interviews at two other regionals and now have to CJOs to consider.

Good luck to all.

Sorry to see you go and I'm sure it was due to their hiring goals slowing down into Dec. Again we'd love to have everyone here to staff our bottom line and be fat for the foreseeable future. Good luck wherever you may go.

journeybird
07-31-2018, 12:12 PM
1200 TT, 1000 ME, 300 TPIC, military here. I have been out of big turbine aircraft for several years. Unfortunately, I got a thanks but no thanks email from Compass. Fortunately, I got interviews at two other regionals and now have two CJOs to consider.

Good luck to all.

Dang sorry to hear, but glad you had other options. When did you apply?

TroutBum
07-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Dang sorry to hear, but glad you had other options. When did you apply?

App was submitted on June 20th. TBNT email was sent on June 26th.

It's all good though. I am super-stoked to be leaving this desk to have a chance to be flying again.

mpet
07-31-2018, 01:02 PM
App was submitted on June 20th. TBNT email was sent on June 26th.

It's all good though. I am super-stoked to be leaving this desk to have a chance to be flying again.

We're turning people away? What the F

210Av8r
07-31-2018, 04:52 PM

Good luck to all.
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully your other CJOs are good opportunities for you.

thejetpilot
08-03-2018, 09:39 AM

Same here. R-ATP qualified at 1000 doing Part 135 flying. Only 950 hours for 1000. My buddy and I just submitted my app 2 nights ago around the same time. My buddy got called to set up an interview the next morning, but I’m still waiting for a call. Updated my app to see if that would help but no luck. Help?

29singlespeed
08-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Same here. R-ATP qualified at 1000 doing Part 135 flying. Only 950 hours for 1000. My buddy and I just submitted my app 2 nights ago around the same time. My buddy got called to set up an interview the next morning, but Iím still waiting for a call. Updated my app to see if that would help but no luck. Help?

I didn't get a call nor a rejection. Guessing hiring is influx right now.

210Av8r
08-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Passed the Commercial/multi check ride today. Needless to say it was an extra Ďchallengeí given the crappy visibility due the smoke in the Central Valley of Cali. It feels better to be closer to ripe. Now just a few more night hours to be 100% ATP eligible.

The cold celebratory beers tasted oh so fine tonight.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Passed the Commercial/multi check ride today. Needless to say it was an extra Ďchallengeí given the crappy visibility due the smoke in the Central Valley of Cali. It feels better to be closer to ripe. Now just a few more night hours to be 100% ATP eligible.

Boom! Congrats!!!! On your way... hurry up we need ya!

210Av8r
08-04-2018, 04:34 AM
Boom! Congrats!!!! On your way... hurry up we need ya!

My bags are packed and ready. Will wait at the curb for pickup.

Excargodog
08-04-2018, 06:10 AM

You are from NorCal? You know nothing about cold. But you are going to learn....

:D:D

Esquamel
08-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Congrats! Hope you get a call from a recruiter soon.

thejetpilot
08-04-2018, 10:48 AM
I didn't get a call nor a rejection. Guessing hiring is influx right now.
I hope they sort things out soon!

thejetpilot
08-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Right on! Congrats!

210Av8r
08-04-2018, 04:41 PM
You are from NorCal? You know nothing about cold. But you are going to learn....

:D:D

Definitely a foreign concept. Not sure what those scoop things are for on the front of the trucks.

Excargodog
08-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Definitely a foreign concept. Not sure what those scoop things are for on the front of the trucks.

Do you understand the concept of solid water? Shave ice? Snow cones? You'll get there.

Oh, and don't let any of the natives talk you into going ice fishing - not unless you've got fingers and toes that you'd really like to get rid of. Butt too, for that matter.

thejetpilot
08-04-2018, 11:25 PM
Do you understand the concept of solid water? Shave ice? Snow cones? You'll get there.

Oh, and don't let any of the natives talk you into going ice fishing - not unless you've got fingers and toes that you'd really like to get rid of. Butt too, for that matter.
I do! I went to college up a state away from Compass HQ being from Southern California

210Av8r
08-04-2018, 11:49 PM
I do! I went to college up a state away from Compass HQ being from Southern California

Do stores in Cali even sell MN-rated winter gear?

thejetpilot
08-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Do stores in Cali even sell MN-rated winter gear?
I think they do in the Sierra Nevada Mountain area, especially where the ski resorts are

Excargodog
08-05-2018, 09:35 AM
I think they do in the Sierra Nevada Mountain area, especially where the ski resorts are

Sierra Nevada cold - as the survival of some of the Donner party demonstrated - can't compare to Minneapolis cold. One cold February morning I once saw two Minneapolis fire hydrants fighting over a dog....

Now THAT'S cold....

metalfeather
08-05-2018, 07:39 PM
I guess the "snakk bazkit" face tattoo was a poor decision.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Sorry man. I dont get why we're turning people away. Maybe go to RAH now and be senior to me next year lol

thejetpilot
08-05-2018, 11:18 PM
How did it happen?

210Av8r
08-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Sierra Nevada cold - as the survival of some of the Donner party demonstrated - can't compare to Minneapolis cold. One cold February morning I once saw two Minneapolis fire hydrants fighting over a dog....

Now THAT'S cold....

When on layover, do you guys work the improv standup comedy club scene? Free drinks and local fame!

FollowMe
08-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Great, another Flickertail... :rolleyes:

If you can survive GFK, MSP is a piece of cake.

thejetpilot
08-06-2018, 09:38 AM
Great, another Flickertail... :rolleyes:

If you can survive GFK, MSP is a piece of cake.
Ah, but it wasn't in North Dakota!

JetDoc
08-06-2018, 11:00 AM

I suspect that our current recruiting supervisor is sadly a bit on the snooty side. Prepping herself for mother delta I'm sure. Hang in there my friend.

thejetpilot
08-06-2018, 11:20 AM
I suspect that our current recruiting supervisor is sadly a bit on the snooty side. Prepping herself for mother delta I'm sure. Hang in there my friend.
How much longer do you think?

JetDoc
08-06-2018, 05:00 PM
How much longer do you think?

I have no idea. Sorry.

210Av8r
08-07-2018, 11:29 PM
Got an email from a recruiter today stating that classes are currently full but that the office team will review my app and follow up accordingly.

Excargodog
08-08-2018, 06:54 AM
Got an email from a recruiter today stating that classes are currently full but that the office team will review my app and follow up accordingly.

I don't think it's necessarily you so much as the availability of sims and instructors. The sim situation seems regional wide (with the possible exception of Horizon who have E-175 new hires coming out the ying-yang) and the instructor situation is nearly as bad. The LCAs and the trainers seem to be disproportionately successful in getting picked up by the majors who do much of their training after the summer rush. Between that and all the upgrades that need to be done to replace captains going off to greener pastures, the training department appears to be absolutely hammered right now.

thejetpilot
08-08-2018, 10:42 AM
I haven’t even gotten an email saying that yet

210Av8r
08-08-2018, 03:56 PM
I don't think it's necessarily you so much as the availability of sims and instructors. The sim situation seems regional wide (with the possible exception of Horizon who have E-175 new hires coming out the ying-yang) and the instructor situation is nearly as bad. The LCAs and the trainers seem to be disproportionately successful in getting picked up by the majors who do much of their training after the summer rush. Between that and all the upgrades that need to be done to replace captains going off to greener pastures, the training department appears to be absolutely hammered right now.

Still have a strong preference for Compass. But I accepted an interview with TSA for next week. After reading "must only be able to fog a mirror" comments for so long as I sprinted to complete my requirements, it was nice to have the phone ring after hitting the mark. I am going to interview with an open mind.

210Av8r
08-08-2018, 03:57 PM
I havenít even gotten an email saying that yet

Only because I sent an email to confirm that my app made it past the filter since I finished my comm/amel check ride and resubmitted.

thejetpilot
08-10-2018, 11:57 AM
On a different note,

How many people here were R-ATP qualified applicants?

How many hours away from meeting minimums were you at when you applied and/or got a phone call?

How long was the wait from submitting the app to getting a phone call?

Fr8Thrust
08-10-2018, 12:19 PM
This recruiting team makes me so mad. Why dont they respond to our applicants. Why are they letting our prospectives go to other airlines? Our standards arenít any different in todayís market! Our competition calls applicants back within days, and we canít even reply to emails within the same month.

DiamondDriver
08-10-2018, 12:42 PM
On a different note,

How many hours away from meeting minimums were you at when you applied and/or got a phone call?

Take this with a salt packet or two, since I interviewed in March. But I am not R-ATP, and had in the ballpark of 850-900TT. I applied and was contacted for an interview within a day, flown up the Minne within a few weeks.

What I did had going for me (I think) was I work at a scheduled 135 operator and have been flying 110-120 hours a month since February.

I was given a tentative class date in October but ended up taking a class in mid November.

210Av8r
08-10-2018, 01:22 PM
This recruiting team makes me so mad. Why dont they respond to our applicants. Why are they letting our prospectives go to other airlines? Our standards arenít any different in todayís market! Our competition calls applicants back within days, and we canít even reply to emails within the same month.

Honestly Iíd prefer no reply over a TBNT. I have to maintain hope that the training log jam will be cleared within a couple of months and interviews will pick up again.
Thanks to encouragement from a mentor and reading posts in this forum, Iím already convinced it will be worth the wait in the long run.
I suspect there is a big group waiting in the wings.

Esquamel
08-10-2018, 01:50 PM
I have to maintain hope that the training log jam will be cleared within a couple of months and interviews will pick up again.

I also hope thatís how it goes. A February or March class date would be ideal for me although it sounds here as if all class dates are taken and there is already a pool of applicants who would get called first (since I havenít yet applied to CPZ).

I do have an interview scheduled elsewhere next month though.

poorflyer
08-10-2018, 01:52 PM
I also hope thatís how it goes. A February or March class date would be ideal for me although it sounds here as if all class dates are taken and there is already a pool of applicants who would get called first (since I havenít yet applied to CPZ).

I do have an interview scheduled elsewhere next month though.

I think you should still apply. Our last employee call only mentioned the hiring forecast to December and didn't mention much after that. Also there was not necessarily a mention of a pool, so not sure if we've actually reached that level yet. I'm sure come 2019 we'll again need everyone we can get so if we are on top of your list there's nothing wrong with applying and see what happens.

210Av8r
08-10-2018, 02:12 PM
I think you should still apply. Our last employee call only mentioned the hiring forecast to December and didn't mention much after that. Also there was not necessarily a mention of a pool, so not sure if we've actually reached that level yet. I'm sure come 2019 we'll again need everyone we can get so if we are on top of your list there's nothing wrong with applying and see what happens.

More encouragement for the line. I have to say CPZ seems unique in the level of interest that current pilots seem to have in the Hall of Hopefuls. Thanks for that.

WhatsV1
08-10-2018, 02:56 PM
On a different note,

I was 500 away, went to job fair though. Got offered an interview and CJO next day. I am also a vet and flying a jet though.

SetVap
08-11-2018, 12:36 PM
My friend was in LA just the other day to sign paperwork for his CJO and was told his class date would be in January because at the moment they have classes filled through the rest of the year. He was told that there are a lot of Rotar Transition Program guys that are finishing their fixed wing time now that have been put into the classes for the end of the year which is why the interviews have slowed down. Most of the rotor guys were interviewed months ago and assigned the October-December dates because of the time they needed to complete the training and hours.

210Av8r
08-11-2018, 04:11 PM
More encouragement for the line. I have to say CPZ seems unique in the level of interest that current pilots seem to have in the Hall of Hopefuls. Thanks for that.

My friend was in LA just the other day to sign paperwork for his CJO and was told his class date would be in January because at the moment they have classes filled through the rest of the year. He was told that there are a lot of Rotar Transition Program guys that are finishing their fixed wing time now that have been put into the classes for the end of the year which is why the interviews have slowed down. Most of the rotor guys were interviewed months ago and assigned the October-December dates because of the time they needed to complete the training and hours.
Thanks for sharing the info. Pilot shortage? What pilot shortage? ;)

thejetpilot
08-11-2018, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the update! However it would still be nice to be able to interview ďearlyĒ. Would be just as nice to get a simple response from someone

Excargodog
08-11-2018, 06:37 PM
Most of the rotor guys were interviewed months ago and assigned the October-December dates because of the time they needed to complete the training and hours.

Lucky lucky them....

29singlespeed
08-12-2018, 12:01 PM
On a different note,

I am R-Atp -- submitted 3 weeks ago and not a response.

MrCoffee
08-12-2018, 03:55 PM
I am R-Atp -- submitted 3 weeks ago and not a response.

1433 hrs. Applied 2 and a half weeks ago. No response.

Sheide
08-13-2018, 08:10 PM
1400h/950ME/210 turbine
Phone call in June to set up interview , no response since.

210Av8r
08-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Just finished an interview with TSA. Flew to St. Louis. (I know, this is a Compass forum and Compass is still my first choice!) I came with an open mind. They made a good pitch and the interview was VERY comfortable. Iíve been working hard to finish my qualifications and itís really exciting to get my first job offer since deciding to make the career change. Enjoying a beer in the airport bar (albeit a masked Budweiser made to taste like IPA).

Beechnutz
08-14-2018, 10:13 AM
Nice work!

Now compass get off your rear and interview this guy before he goes somewhere else!

thejetpilot
08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Nice work!

Now compass get off your rear and interview this guy before he goes somewhere else!
Hope you can advocate for the rest of us here too!

Beechnutz
08-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Working on it!

210Av8r
08-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Working on it!
Seems like there is some other force in play. Maybe all the recruiters have been on a team building retreat in Maui! Ha. In any case, it must be a good feeling for them to know there is a line at the door.

metalfeather
08-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Sorry man. I dont get why we're turning people away. Maybe go to RAH now and be senior to me next year lol

I happened to be hanging around the southwest side of Indianapolis airport over the past few days. I can confirm the presence of snack baskets, but no crazy arms were waved.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-14-2018, 08:14 PM
I happened to be hanging around the southwest side of Indianapolis airport over the past few days. I can confirm the presence of snack baskets, but no crazy arms were waved.

If we get bought by Republic, we're bringin the Compass wave with us, hope they know that!

VIRotate
08-15-2018, 07:16 AM
If we get bought by Republic, we're bringin the Compass wave with us, hope they know that!

The legendary wave. Some say every time you do it, an OO pilot gets his wings.

harrier1231
08-15-2018, 08:11 AM
This thread is eye opening. Thanks. I'm sitting on offers from two regionals but prefer Compass. However, I can't get them to reply to my app or my emails. I am higher time, former 121 returning after a stint elsewhere. Multiple jet types, captain qualified, and just silence. So, although I don't want to, this thread seems to suggest I'll have to wait til early next year to start if I ever get called, and I want to get back in the 121 world asap so at least now I know I should give up and take one of the other offers.

Bums me out. Compass would be perfect for me. :(

Beechnutz
08-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Itís a bummer but CPZ is just so desirable for all the west coasters.

Iíve been told by recruiting that classes are full for 2018 and have to wait till they get the schedule for 2019 until they can interview more people.

Unknown when the 2019 schedule will come available.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-15-2018, 08:58 AM
So lame! We lose good people because of these shenanigans. Who cares if we're staffed! (Which we're not) the list moves quick and we're always around the corner from another staffing catastrophe, especially heading into 2019.

We should be like Frank the Tank when it comes to future classes

'FILL IT UP AGAIN!!'

https://vlipsy.com/vlip/old-school-frank-the-tank-fill-it-up-again-46NPLEtL

JetDoc
08-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Having flown at Republic before I came here I can tell you that most there will appreciate the wave. We used to wave at each in and out of the alley at ORD all the time although it was just a simple, one handed wave. To the crew holding short of Tango on Echo today as we made the turn from Tango onto Echo, my apologies for the one handed wave. I was driving but please know that I was waving with both hands in spirit!

Sperrysan
08-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Having flown at Republic before I came here I can tell you that most there will appreciate the wave. We used to wave at each in and out of the alley at ORD all the time although it was just a simple, one handed wave. To the crew holding short of Tango on Echo today as we made the turn from Tango onto Echo, my apologies for the one handed wave. I was driving but please know that I was waving with both hands in spirit!

Someday technology will evolve and allow the two handed waves....someday.

thejetpilot
08-15-2018, 06:15 PM
So how does this so-called wave look like, Mr. snack basket guru?

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Well... there is a small legend/myth... a saga if you will..about this.

When we wave to OO, we usually get an icy glare (there are exceptions). One day a CPZ guy was gettin no love from OO on the ramp so he did a double wave like a crazy man, like this https://goo.gl/images/AcxxP7, it became a compass tradition overnight. So this is how we wave to each other and still to OO. We even got it added to the emoji database 🤗🤗🤗🤗. It's how we cope with not being mainline like OO.

thejetpilot
08-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Well... there is a small legend/myth... a saga if you will..about this.

When we wave to OO, we usually get an icy glare (there are exceptions). One day a CPZ guy was gettin no love from OO on the ramp so he did a double wave like a crazy man, like this https://goo.gl/images/AcxxP7, it became a compass tradition overnight. So this is how we wave to each other and still to OO. We even got it added to the emoji database 🤗🤗🤗🤗. It's how we cope with not being mainline like OO.
Ah! That's awesome

Fr8Thrust
08-16-2018, 11:07 PM

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/wacky-waving-inflatable-tube-man-gif-6.gif

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GznhT__PXs

thejetpilot
08-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Talked to recruiters during OBAP, its likes vacation time for them, classes 2018 are full, all they do is show up for the fairs, interview maybe 10-15 candidates A MONTH! And being super picky too.
So i dont think UA rumor is gonna happen.
As for Republic if it happens, cant wait for cross-beed start while taxiing.

Looks like we have to keep waiting... :/

TheChicken
08-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Anyone else here in the October 3rd ATP class? For those already on the line how long before a class do flight and hotel arrangements get made? Thanks.

Beechnutz
08-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Anyone else here in the October 3rd ATP class? For those already on the line how long before a class do flight and hotel arrangements get made? Thanks.

Day before. Maybe a couple at best.

LRSRanger
08-28-2018, 02:08 AM
Once I get around to calling them someone can have my late Sept class date...

210Av8r
08-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Most of us here need an interview first. ;)

TyWebb
08-29-2018, 07:18 AM
Speaking of needing an interview first, when do you guys/gals currently flying for Compass think is a smart time to apply? Seems right now there has been a pause to the action, so trying to time the second wave. I have flexibility as far as currnet gig and still need to get ME and was thinking applying more towards end of November since all the 2018 classes are full and recruiters and HR don't seem to be interested in hiring right now.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Speaking of needing an interview first, when do you guys/gals currently flying for Compass think is a smart time to apply? Seems right now there has been a pause to the action, so trying to time the second wave. I have flexibility as far as currnet gig and still need to get ME and was thinking applying more towards end of November since all the 2018 classes are full and recruiters and HR don't seem to be interested in hiring right now.

That should be a good time. I would apply now though, just in case. Then try to meet in person later in the Fall

DiamondDriver
08-29-2018, 10:57 AM

Gave them a call and shot an email about moving up my class date (11/19) for a potential opening at the end of September. Will report back with updates

LRSRanger
08-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Gave them a call and shot an email about moving up my class date (11/19) for a potential opening at the end of September. Will report back with updates

I like your style! I'll see what I can do to get you in my spot. PM sent.

fenix1
09-05-2018, 06:54 AM
Ladies & gents, I donít mean to start a fecal matter laden counter-clockwise atmospheric rotation, but Iím genuinely curious what is motivating folks to go to work for Compass right now. Can you please help me see what Iím missing? The future of CPZ looks bleak to me (likely significant - if not complete - loss of AA & DL flying in the next couple years) with best-scenario being a sale to RPA that may/may not actually occur. Iím not trolling or any other BS and instead Iím truly interested in the picture being seen by those of you who are hitching your wagon to CPZ right now & eager to learn what Iím missing or that which Iím not yet aware. I appreciate anyone good enough to share!

Excargodog
09-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Ladies & gents, I don’t mean to start a fecal matter laden counter-clockwise atmospheric rotation, but I’m genuinely curious what is motivating folks to go to work for Compass right now. Can you please help me see what I’m missing? The future of CPZ looks bleak to me (likely significant - if not complete - loss of AA & DL flying in the next couple years) with best-scenario being a sale to RPA that may/may not actually occur. I’m not trolling or any other BS and instead I’m truly interested in the picture being seen by those of you who are hitching your wagon to CPZ right now & eager to learn what I’m missing or that which I’m not yet aware. I appreciate anyone good enough to share!

First of all, ALL contract work is ALWAYS going to be up for renewal SOMETIME.

Building a career around which contract you believe is or isn't about to expire, especially when the major can pretty much move their flying and your flying (and their aircraft) around pretty much as they like within their contract, seems insane.

Same thing for basing your employment decisions on who has a base that you MIGHT be able to get as a captain, especially when the captains currently in those bases have been there for a long long time. And especially when you might be months and months on reserve as a FO in LGA or ORD and never ever get to that base.

So what can Compass give me? If I want LAX or SEA, I've got it immediately. PHX might take a couple of months of commuting to LAX or SEA, but it ain't like those are hard commutes from PHX for those few months.

Then I'm going to be an FO living in base, at a base I want to be at, and right now flying my butt off. I'm not clocking 20 hrs a month and sweating getting my consolidation time for 120 days, like at Horizon, I'm not sitting in a crash pad in Queens wondering if I'll ever get out of LGA, I've got an actual in base schedule that my family and I can build our lives around.

Might the flying actually go away in 2020? I suppose it could. The West Coast might get the big one and Nampa Idaho could become prime sea view property too, but I doubt it. And assuming the flying does go to someone else, it'll likely be drawn down gradually. Nobody wants to park a fleet of aircraft and nobody has 660 current type-rated pilots just warehoused somewhere just champing at the bit to start that new flying. One would have to ramp up and the other ramp down.

So the minimum a newbie hitting the line today is going to get is a bonus, decent but not industry leading pay, an E-170/190 type rating, and about 1300 hours of 121 time which will probably see them through upgrading to captain. All those things will put him/her that much farther ahead in their career than they are now. And with any luck at all, they'll get more than that, but yeah, no guarantees.

Compass is certainly not the place to be if you are looking for a regional career, but then it never was. It was a high risk high reward, get in and get the experience and then move on sort of place. And most people have been successful doing that. But barring 'the big one', somebody is going to be doing a lot of west coast flying and right now that's us.

Unwilling to take the risk? That's OK, not everyone is. We all make choices.

AirBat
09-05-2018, 09:03 AM
On top of that the movement here is crazy. You can be 25% among the company after 3 years on property. Supposedly AA is good til 2023, and DL changes plans all the time, they still havenít said anything official or not about renewal.

thejetpilot
09-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, can someone PM about the Phone interview? Thanks

DiamondDriver
09-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Not a phone interview, just a chat about flight time and history, why compass, are you competant and can you hold a conversation. Check off those boxes and bang. Come on up to Minne.

BobbyLeeSwagger
09-05-2018, 11:24 AM

So you got a call? If so, congrats!

DiamondDriver
09-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Ladies & gents, I donít mean to start a fecal matter laden counter-clockwise atmospheric rotation, but Iím genuinely curious what is motivating folks to go to work for Compass right now. Can you please help me see what Iím missing? The future of CPZ looks bleak to me (likely significant - if not complete - loss of AA & DL flying in the next couple years) with best-scenario being a sale to RPA that may/may not actually occur. Iím not trolling or any other BS and instead Iím truly interested in the picture being seen by those of you who are hitching your wagon to CPZ right now & eager to learn what Iím missing or that which Iím not yet aware. I appreciate anyone good enough to share!

I echo everything Excargodog says. Iím starting class here in a few weeks. And my choice was between the Delta owned regional and Compass. Both had the same class dates. But I went with CPZ and Iíll gladly break down why:
1. Good pay but less than others means Iím not going to be forever behind lifers
2. The idea of rocking a reserve list 55+ deep in NYC and struggling to fly more than 20 hours a month is terrifying (yes we all know 9E is announcing big news here soon...but soon hasnít happened for months)
3. Bases are all holdable within a few months
4. Honestly for all the gripes about the hiring department. Theyíve been amazing to me, we email every few weeks and they have been more than accommodating with any request Iíve had
5. High risk high reward, obviously. No regional is going to be my career if it plays out right. 3-4 years and CPZ and move on

Now that being said. CPZ isnít for everyone from what I was told in the interview and what I read on here. For reference Iím single and in my mid 20s so Iím trying to fly a lot and donít care about a lot of things that people with families do. If youíre married or arenít worried about flying a ton, and want a regional with ďmore guaranteedĒ future then other places are better. You can pick up a paycheck for not flying, make more per hour, and be home more often while doing 7+ months of reserve.

And yes, definitely, things can change tomorrow. But for now, West Coast with the APC homies is worth it for someone in my position.

210Av8r
09-05-2018, 01:26 PM
I echo everything Excargodog says. I’m starting class here in a few weeks. And my choice was between the Delta owned regional and Compass. Both had the same class dates. But I went with CPZ and I’ll gladly break down why:
1. Good pay but less than others means I’m not going to be forever behind lifers
2. The idea of rocking a reserve list 55+ deep in NYC and struggling to fly more than 20 hours a month is terrifying (yes we all know 9E is announcing big news here soon...but soon hasn’t happened for months)
3. Bases are all holdable within a few months
4. Honestly for all the gripes about the hiring department. They’ve been amazing to me, we email every few weeks and they have been more than accommodating with any request I’ve had
5. High risk high reward, obviously. No regional is going to be my career if it plays out right. 3-4 years and CPZ and move on

Now that being said. CPZ isn’t for everyone from what I was told in the interview and what I read on here. For reference I’m single and in my mid 20s so I’m trying to fly a lot and don’t care about a lot of things that people with families do. If you’re married or aren’t worried about flying a ton, and want a regional with “more guaranteed” future then other places are better. You can pick up a paycheck for not flying, make more per hour, and be home more often while doing 7+ months of reserve.

And yes, definitely, things can change tomorrow. But for now, West Coast with the APC homies is worth it for someone in my position.
Agree 200%.
Congrats to jetpilot and fingers crossed for you.
I’m still in the ‘hoping for a sceening call’ group, but good to know that phones are ringing somewhere.

fenix1
09-05-2018, 10:31 PM
ECD & DD, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and share your perspective - many thanks

highside7r
09-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Good read guys and seems like smart gouge. Just pushed the app in and waiting. ATP, ex-mil guy, zero jet/121. If hired, looking at PHX.

TyWebb
09-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Good luck!

MrKowalski
09-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Any hiring updates? Still holding on..

210Av8r
09-12-2018, 01:17 PM

The sound of crickets. No status change. They are in a good position to be flush with apps. A couple of people have reported TBNT but having heard any reports of anyone getting an interview scheduled.

Westfalia
09-18-2018, 03:41 PM
The sound of crickets. No status change. They are in a good position to be flush with apps. A couple of people have reported TBNT but having heard any reports of anyone getting an interview scheduled.

I got the call for an interview a few weeks ago, about 2 months after applying and no contact. Called back, went through a quick screening of ďhow do you like what you are doing nowĒ ďwhy CompassĒ etc. I was told start date for training would be January at the earliest, more likely February.

So just wanted to say there is some hope, and anyone trying to get to Compass should apply earlier rather than later.

Excargodog
09-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Sorry for the upgrade inspired logjam but as I predicted back in March,

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/compass-airlines/112073-eight-captain-upgrades-month-do-math.html

throttling back captain upgrades because we were so short of FOs was going to inevitably lead to a captain shortage which is sort of where we are now. Now the good news is that that means shorter upgrade times, but the bad news is that there is a systemwide shortage of E-175 sims and the captain upgrade sims are increasing the difficulty of clearing the training backlog for new hires.

But it appears CJOs are starting to again go out. I would SUGGEST that those who haven't heard from recruiting in a while give them a phone call with a gentle nudge to let them know you are stil interested and an update on any flying hours you've logged since your initial app.

Good luck all.

yrbroom
09-18-2018, 06:21 PM
What's the best way to get a hold of a recruiter? Is there a generic email or phone number for the office so I can avoid digging for it? Just want to pass it on to a friend.

210Av8r
09-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Sorry for the upgrade inspired logjam but as I predicted back in March,

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/compass-airlines/112073-eight-captain-upgrades-month-do-math.html

throttling back captain upgrades because we were so short of FOs was going to inevitably lead to a captain shortage which is sort of where we are now. Now the good news is that that means shorter upgrade times, but the bad news is that there is a systemwide shortage of E-175 sims and the captain upgrade sims are increasing the difficulty of clearing the training backlog for new hires.

But it appears CJOs are starting to again go out. I would SUGGEST that those who haven't heard from recruiting in a while give them a phone call with a gentle nudge to let them know you are stil interested and an update on any flying hours you've logged since your initial app.

Good luck all.

In order to let them know I'm still VERY interested, my offer still stands to wash cars in the MSP headquarters parking lot in the dead of the MSP winter (or whenever training happens). Ha! All the while, ambiance music will be provided by Peter and The Pan Flute Band featuring TheJetPilot on lead guitar and me on bass. Meal could be provided if BLS air drops some Snack Basket reject items.

SpartanFlyer
09-18-2018, 06:53 PM

Just heard from a friend that Compass stopped hiring. So he applied somewhere else.

DiamondDriver
09-18-2018, 07:07 PM
In order to let them know I'm still VERY interested, my offer still stands to wash cars in the MSP headquarters parking lot in the dead of the MSP winter (or whenever training happens). Ha! All the while, ambiance music will be provided by Peter and The Pan Flute Band featuring TheJetPilot on lead guitar and me on bass. Meal could be provided if BLS air drops some Snack Basket reject items.

That is worth a shot. My way of emailing weekly and having someone with a September class date drop their class and give them my name sure didn't work. Creativity definitely counts for something.

WillFlyForSpam
09-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Just heard from a friend that Compass stopped hiring. So he applied somewhere else.

From what weíve been told, itís not that weíve stopped hiring but that we have our classes full until January. If thatís their code for a hiring freeze then well done on making us think weíve got a lot of people in the pipeline.

Unless youíre trying to stir some pot....

SpartanFlyer
09-18-2018, 08:08 PM
From what weíve been told, itís not that weíve stopped hiring but that we have our classes full until January. If thatís their code for a hiring freeze then welol done on making us think weíve got a lot of people in the pipeline.

Oh...I'm not here to stir some pot. :P I wasn't aware that you guys have classes full until next year. I guess its their code for a hiring freeze.

VIRotate
09-19-2018, 08:33 PM
From what weíve been told, itís not that weíve stopped hiring but that we have our classes full until January. If thatís their code for a hiring freeze then well done on making us think weíve got a lot of people in the pipeline.

We are still hiring and putting people in a pool. We are having a training back up (like all E-jet airlines) and donít want to send new hires home for months mid training like some other places. We are also making room for captain upgrades who have simulator priority right now.

Excargodog
09-28-2018, 01:56 PM
This is from the Republic thread, but even so it is applicable to all E-170 series training right now:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/republic-airline/116315-training-delay-12.html

Starting with post 120 it explains why there is a sim shortage and what you can do when you finally get the call. It's a good read.

An excerpt:

"I'm currently in sims in St. Louis. The sims are so backed up that my sim sessions have been encroaching on the maintenance window (2-6AM). I got out of the sim between 2:30-3:00AM for the first four sims. This morning I walked out of the building at 3:45AM and when we stopped about 25 minutes prior the sim next to us was still moving. The sim shortage is real and will be the limiting factor in training for the foreseeable future."

210Av8r
09-28-2018, 02:26 PM
We are still hiring and putting people in a pool. We are having a training back up (like all E-jet airlines) and donít want to send new hires home for months mid training like some other places. We are also making room for captain upgrades who have simulator priority right now.

Combine Sims and Pool. Problem solved! :cool:

Excargodog
09-28-2018, 02:30 PM

I think my kid needs one of those. Lol!

TillerTemptress
09-28-2018, 06:39 PM

I hear we're getting bought by Air Funboy.

CARS II
09-28-2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info,
I'm planing to apply in Nov but won't be ready till Feb, was going to apply at OO, CPZ is now my first choice, from what I've been reading it sounds like it is my kind of company, I prefer a West coast base, commuting from SMF to LAX will be easier than driving to SFO then LGA, I know, I've been in the industry for over 18 years.

HUSKERFAN
09-29-2018, 11:02 AM
The backlog is real! Our class has a 4 week break. No complaints here- looking forward to visiting a few places!
Speaking with one of the hr guys, it looks like there are classes every 2 weeks of about 8. So far Compass has been great! Hope this helps those who are trying to get in.

CARS II
09-29-2018, 01:10 PM
So far Compass has been great! Hope this helps those who are trying to get in.[/QUOTE]

It helps, Tks.

brocklee9000
10-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info,
I'm planing to apply in Nov but won't be ready till Feb, was going to apply at OO, CPZ is now my first choice, from what I've been reading it sounds like it is my kind of company, I prefer a West coast base, commuting from SMF to LAX will be easier than driving to SFO then LGA, I know, I've been in the industry for over 18 years.

I'm in the same situation. I've been updating my app monthly since August, internal reference on the app, etc etc, and crickets. I check in here every couple weeks to see if there's any traction, but still in limbo. On the one hand, it sucks to still not hear anything one way or the other; on the other hand, at least it seems to be frozen across the board so there's still a chance. In an ideal world I wouldn't have my hours till January and realistically February, so I don't mind having to take a class date of March. I would like to get an interview done and at least get into a pool though, to gauge how things are. Another comment said twice a month with 8 guys per group, so if there are 50 guys ahead at 16/month, then 4 to 5 months is great. If there are 100 ahead of me at 16/month, that's more than a six month wait. I'm going up later this month for the Skywest orientation/interview thing so that's becoming my backup, and I've had a CJO from a republic cadet program for a while now. Neither are super desirable because we want to stay in Phoenix. Every once in a while I even peek at the Mesa forum but come to my senses.

05Duramax
10-06-2018, 03:25 PM
This hall for the hopefuls doesn't seem very hopeful. This hopeful has a job offer at Republic and no interest from Compass. I'm down to hoping for Republic to buy Compass.

210Av8r
10-06-2018, 03:43 PM
This hall for the hopefuls doesn't seem very hopeful. This hopeful has a job offer at Republic and no interest from Compass. I'm down to hoping for Republic to buy Compass.

It is quiet in Compass Country. :(

DiamondDriver
10-10-2018, 06:31 PM
17.5 new hire bonus is now gone. That's odd. In an environment where everyone is offering more money CPZ takes it away. I guess they read this thread too often?

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-10-2018, 06:58 PM
17.5 new hire bonus is now gone. That's odd. In an environment where everyone is offering more money CPZ takes it away. I guess they read this thread too often?

Really? That can't be good

MattyBoy
10-10-2018, 07:32 PM
I just checked the Compass hiring website, & it indeed no longer shows the hiring bonus. That's just a bit disconcerting. Hopefully management will shed some light as to why in the near future.

MattyBoy
10-10-2018, 07:48 PM
On a side note, I just noticed that the Facebook page posted on Oct. 3rd, that Compass Pilots are now "guaranteed application reviews by Delta's hiring team."

Is that maybe related to them pulling the bonus? I don't really see the logic as to why one would preclude the other though...

poorflyer
10-10-2018, 08:04 PM
That's not a Compass thing. Delta is offering "app reviews" for all their DCA carriers so we don't get too mad that they'll be hiring college kids direct to Delta planes in a few years.

210Av8r
10-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Supply and demand.
But still offering $10k for referrals. Weird.

Descend Via
10-11-2018, 06:03 AM

Management is saving up for the big MEC grievance payout.

Excargodog
10-11-2018, 06:34 AM
still show the $17.5K bonus. If that's not the case, it would seem like false advertising.

RCW 9.04.050

False, misleading, deceptive advertising.

It shall be unlawful for any person to publish, disseminate or display, or cause directly or indirectly, to be published, disseminated or displayed in any manner or by any means, including solicitation or dissemination by mail, telephone, electronic communication, or door-to-door contacts, any false, deceptive or misleading advertising, with knowledge of the facts which render the advertising false, deceptive or misleading, for any business, trade or commercial purpose or for the purpose of inducing, or which is likely to induce, directly or indirectly, the public to purchase, consume, lease, dispose of, utilize or sell any property or service, or to enter into any obligation or transaction relating thereto?

If they aren't going to honor those ads, they need to take them down - promptly.

210Av8r
10-11-2018, 07:22 AM
still show the $17.5K bonus. If that's not the case, it would seem like false advertising.

If they aren't going to honor those ads, they need to take them down - promptly.

And also revise the Profile Quicktake on APC:

Pilot referral bonus of up to $10,000 per pilot.

$17,500 bonus to all pilots hired after 9/1/2017.

-$7,500 after completion of IOE

-$2,500 after nine months

-$7,500 after twelve month

poorflyer
10-11-2018, 07:25 AM
And also revise the Profile Quicktake on APC:

Pilot referral bonus of up to $10,000 per pilot.

$17,500 bonus to all pilots hired after 9/1/2017.

-$7,500 after completion of IOE

-$2,500 after nine months

-$7,500 after twelve month

Also most recent upgrade was not Dec 2015.

BobSacamano
10-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Supply and demand.
But still offering $10k for referrals. Weird.

Seems like they have plenty of apps, so I imagine thereís just no need for the bonus. Iím just a CFI but what this tells me is that if youíre a prospective regional FO who wants to stay in PHX or SoCal, there quite simply is no pilot shortage. At least as far as youíre concerned.

VIRotate
10-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Seems like they have plenty of apps, so I imagine thereís just no need for the bonus. Iím just a CFI but what this tells me is that if youíre a prospective regional FO who wants to stay in PHX or SoCal, there quite simply is no pilot shortage. At least as far as youíre concerned.

Itís definitely a pay shortage. That being said, the next decade is going to be tough on the regionals with the amount of hiring legacies and now better paying LCCs will be doing. I think they need 18,000 pilots in the next 10 years. Thatís still a significant number.

Poser765
10-16-2018, 05:03 AM
That's not a Compass thing. Delta is offering "app reviews" for all their DCA carriers so we don't get too mad that they'll be hiring college kids direct to Delta planes in a few years.so generous of them. Really we should all be thankful. You know with delta putting their necks out there for an unknown quantity like a dca pilot.

JetDoc
10-16-2018, 10:15 AM
so generous of them. Really we should all be thankful. You know with delta putting their necks out there for an unknown quantity like a dca pilot.

Hiring in this industry is a text book example of hypocrisy.

Varsity
10-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Recruiter said classes are simply full.

VIRotate
10-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Recruiter said classes are simply full.

They are. Working on 2019 with crew planning.

TillerTemptress
10-18-2018, 03:41 PM
https://www.airlineapps.com/jobs/details.aspx?emp=Compass-Airlines&job=First-Officer still lists $17.5k signing bonus.. ??

AkAv8er
10-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Hello,

Iím a 2000 hr pilot with some 135 and multi experience. My wife and I are moving to the Seattle area in the next month; Iíve been studying up and doing a lot of research on Compass. Iím strongly considering applying and trying for a spring 2019 class.

I understand training is normally a day of Indoc in MSP, about 2 weeks of home study, then about 6 weeks of training (maybe more) mostly in MSP (sims in sea and stl also?). This includes a week of ioe as well. Correct?

From there are FOs in Seattle spending a while on reserve or picking up a line pretty quick? Iím not worried about a few months in LAX if I canít get SEATAC our of training.

My main issue is with this thing called marriage. In order to preserve this I foresee the need to get at least every other weekend (average) off or at least have an idea how many months it will take to achieve this. It would also help to have an idea how many nights/wk average I can expect to spend out of base.

Whenever I talk to folks about scheduling at any regional the responses are something like ďcould be anythingĒ or ďit dependsĒ.

I assume you get the crappier schedules when you first start. Can any of you folks enlighten me to what typical FO schedules are like in Seattle (especially those 1st 6 mo. but also in the 6+mo range)?

Iím looking to build time like everybody else but could be happy flying as few as 500 hrs/yr if nec. Any idea of what you experienced or would expect for someone starting would really help me with my familiar HR negotiations.

Thanks

poorflyer
10-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Just to answer the weekends off part. I was getting almost all weekends off within about 50% in base seniority which took maybe a year? That's in LAX though and I think the reason was most people were commuting and didn't put weekends off that high against a commutable line.

Beechnutz
10-25-2018, 01:04 PM
I started first of February. Finished school house training first of May. Had a few almost full weeks off in the middle mixed up between classroom and sims.

Since off reserve (3 months) Iím seeing about 15 days a month in a hotel with min (11-12) days off a month.

I was on reserve for 4 months after IOE completetion. I think my classmate in SEA was about the same.

The thing is a guy that started 2 months before me went straight into a line holder. But we just hired a pile of guys. So youíll be behind all them. So probably more like the 3-6mths Iíd reserve if you start early next year.

Once again. The plane is great the routes we fly are great. The hotels we stay in are mostly excellent! And the best part are the crews. We have awesome people to work with.

FlytheSky
10-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Keep in mind, too, that you can choose to bid to reserve to get the days off you want (I.E. Weekends) rather than a line working weekends. If you live in base close enough to sit at home on a 2 hour call-out, it's not a bad way to keep the wife happy at home because you'll be at home as much, if not more than you would be as a line holder with minimum days off. Lots more driving to/from the airport, but if that's your priority you should be able to get that when you get even somewhat reasonable seniority on reserve (probably 90% in base, but I'm shooting from the hip).

If you plan on living more than two hours away from SEA or doing an easy commute, then obviously being a line holder will likely be better than reserve. Just giving you another option depending on where exactly you plan on moving.

Taco280AI
10-25-2018, 04:32 PM
Day 1 in March, SEA FO. Can count on one hand the number of reserve days I did. 13-15 days off usually. Haven't bid for weekends, but usually get 2 weekends off each month anyway. If you want to come here next year, apply now.

AkAv8er
10-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Any other Seattle FO scheduling input out there?

Bike Handles
10-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Any other Seattle FO scheduling input out there?

June hire here... Completed IOE about a month ago, not quite. Reserve at SEA this month, and as others have stated, little sitting. Iíve gone one reserve day without flying. Itís been busy. Crews are great! Switching bases in November. At the moment it seems that SEA is short on FOís.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-26-2018, 11:22 AM
June hire here... Completed IOE about a month ago, not quite. Reserve at SEA this month, and as others have stated, little sitting. Iíve gone one reserve day without flying. Itís been busy. Crews are great! Switching bases in November. At the moment it seems that SEA is short on FOís.

"bike handles"(?) haha, that's awesome.. Nicely done

210Av8r
10-26-2018, 12:49 PM

How easy is it to switch bases?

JetDoc
10-26-2018, 06:13 PM
How easy is it to switch bases?

If there is an opening and your seniority will hold it, not a problem. If there is an opening and someone senior to you wants it, problem. If there is no opening, problem. That being said, most people are getting what they want right out of training.

210Av8r
10-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Still waiting for the first screening call, so this is a bit premature but...
Commuting from SMF I think Iíd go for the base that has the best promise of minimal reserve time. I hope to avoid the crash pad phenomenon if possible. ;)

JetDoc
10-27-2018, 07:14 AM
Still waiting for the first screening call, so this is a bit premature but...
Commuting from SMF I think Iíd go for the base that has the best promise of minimal reserve time. I hope to avoid the crash pad phenomenon if possible. ;)

That would be LA. You will probably need a crash pad for the first couple of months initially but it shouldn't be too long before you have a line but YMMV. Good luck to you.

210Av8r
10-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info. LA would definitely be the easiest commute from SMF. Keeping my fingers crossed that my phone rings soon and I still believe patience is worth it.

TyWebb
11-01-2018, 07:55 AM
Any word on new hiring? I just finished multi add-on and have been waiting and lurking around here to see if the unofficial hiring freeze is over.

DiamondDriver
11-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Any word on new hiring? I just finished multi add-on and have been waiting and lurking around here to see if the unofficial hiring freeze is over.

Classes full through the end of the year. Not sure of class schedule yet for 2019.

TyWebb
11-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Rolling the Dice... app submitted

BobbyLeeSwagger
11-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Rolling the Dice... app submitted

My man! Hope you get the call

brocklee9000
11-26-2018, 02:31 PM
I just got home from work and found a nice little surprise, an email from recruitment. They were already closed for the day by the time I got it, but Iím excited to talk to them tomorrow after a nice little wait. Anyone else get contacted recently?

210Av8r
11-26-2018, 06:48 PM
I just got home from work and found a nice little surprise, an email from recruitment. They were already closed for the day by the time I got it, but Iím excited to talk to them tomorrow after a nice little wait. Anyone else get contacted recently?

Congrats! Still crickets for me.

Excargodog
11-26-2018, 08:38 PM
Congrats! Still crickets for me.

Make sure your email provider's junk mail filter isn't stopping stuff from recruiting. You would not be the first one if that happened to you.

210Av8r
11-27-2018, 04:29 AM
Make sure your email provider's junk mail filter isn't stopping stuff from recruiting. You would not be the first one if that happened to you.

Based on the number of enlargement kits Iíve ordered and $1,000 money orders Iíve sent to a guy in Zimbabwe to get my lost million, Iíd say my spam filters are all disabled.

Think theyíve changed their MO to start a dialogue via email versus a screening call?

brocklee9000
11-27-2018, 07:02 AM
Well it was good to finally get in touch with someone, and about what I expected. Around 10 minutes, typical screening where they reviewed my app and ratings and whatnot. Hiring into a pool, and allegedly still donít know when exactly FO classes are going to be offered. He offered me an interview, and I chose one in mid December since it gives me time to prepare and will be held here in Phoenix. He said classes, when they resume, will be about 8 per class (but I canít recall if he said it would be once or twice a month, probably varies based on demand?). Fingers crossed it goes well, the captains all get through training, and they wake up and rememebr they need to hire more FOs soon haha.

Excargodog
11-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Fingers crossed it goes well, the captains all get through training, and they wake up and rememebr they need to hire more FOs soon haha.

In fairness, the disastrous shortage of E-175 sims and instructors last summer wasn't just at Compass, it was dang near universal. The surge in hiring by the majors and resulting attrition and need for the regional's to crank newbie's through at a hitherto unseen pace sort of caught everyone with their pants down.

That being said, I doubt that anyone really learned from the experience so, yeah, everybody will likely get behind the power curve again at least a few more times....:o

210Av8r
11-27-2018, 08:13 AM
In fairness, the disastrous shortage of E-175 sims and instructors last summer wasn't just at Compass, it was dang near universal. The surge in hiring by the majors and resulting attrition and need for the regional's to crank newbie's through at a hitherto unseen pace sort of caught everyone with their pants down.

That being said, I doubt that anyone really learned from the experience so, yeah, everybody will likely get behind the power curve again at least a few more times....:o

It takes some luck to be on the correct side of the wave.

HUSKERFAN
11-27-2018, 08:24 AM
Congrats on the call!!! Glad to hear theyíre hiring!!!!! Just about to finish off my training here. The delays havenít been too bad. Took the family to Asia for a week while getting paid so no complaints there. My training footprint will be about 110 days. Youíll enjoy it here!

05Duramax
11-28-2018, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure if this is true, Republic is currently hiring people and offering them classes next August!

Of course that could be because they are going to use their 100 ERJ order and ramp up in hiring to get ready to take over Compass' flying on the West Coast next year.....

VIRotate
11-29-2018, 04:51 AM
I'm not sure if this is true, Republic is currently hiring people and offering them classes next August!

Of course that could be because they are going to use their 100 ERJ order and ramp up in hiring to get ready to take over Compass' flying on the West Coast next year.....

Negative Ghostrider. Didn't you hear? Southwest is taking our flying but don't worry, we will start flying for Spirit Express by then. You heard it here first.

brocklee9000
12-02-2018, 11:24 AM

Yeah I'm well aware of the systemwide shortage of sims causing delays for everyone. Especially as airlines add/add more embraers to their fleet and attrition continues. I also expect they won't learn. Since they'll be in town, I figured it can't hurt to go and interview. I've got a Skywest interview later that same week, and I fully expect them to offer a class date shortly thereafter and that Compass will say "alright you're in the pool, we'll let you know, but it's probably going to be Summer." Can't get too upset if you set the bar low hahaha.

Congrats on the call!!! Glad to hear theyíre hiring!!!!! Just about to finish off my training here. The delays havenít been too bad. Took the family to Asia for a week while getting paid so no complaints there. My training footprint will be about 110 days. Youíll enjoy it here!

I'd love a paid vacation! Especially with flight benefits. But I'm sure that's one reason they're in no rush to hire more haha.

Yeah I got an email a few weeks ago. "In order to remain transparent . . . we are currently filling classes for June of 2019 . . . in order to keep a steady CA and FO mix, we had to adjust our dates to accomodate CA upgrades . . . We understand this may be inconvenient or upsetting, so we encourage you to communicate with [Recruiters] if you are within this timeframe, and be patient." Republic hasn't really been in the cards for me for a while now but it was shocking to hear they, too, are facing a similar slowdown.

210Av8r
12-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Yeah I'm well aware of the systemwide shortage of sims causing delays for everyone. Especially as airlines add/add more embraers to their fleet and attrition continues. I also expect they won't learn. Since they'll be in town, I figured it can't hurt to go and interview. I've got a Skywest interview later that same week, and I fully expect them to offer a class date shortly thereafter and that Compass will say "alright you're in the pool, we'll let you know, but it's probably going to be Summer." Can't get too upset if you set the bar low hahaha.

I'd love a paid vacation! Especially with flight benefits. But I'm sure that's one reason they're in no rush to hire more haha.

Yeah I got an email a few weeks ago. "In order to remain transparent . . . we are currently filling classes for June of 2019 . . . in order to keep a steady CA and FO mix, we had to adjust our dates to accomodate CA upgrades . . . We understand this may be inconvenient or upsetting, so we encourage you to communicate with [Recruiters] if you are within this timeframe, and be patient." Republic hasn't really been in the cards for me for a while now but it was shocking to hear they, too, are facing a similar slowdown.

Itís just good to hear that they are calling people again.

As I typed this reply, I got word that I shouldnít expect a call from CPZ. So this Hopeful is going to OO. Hope to receive the CPZ wave. Cheers to you guys and happy flying.

thrustisamust
12-07-2018, 07:05 PM
I finally got a call and interviewed for an FO position after calling almost daily. They offered positioned on the spot. Later in the day a recruiter called and offered class date of May 30! Fingers crossed for earlier class date.

BobbyLeeSwagger
12-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Itís just good to hear that they are calling people again.

As I typed this reply, I got word that I shouldnít expect a call from CPZ. So this Hopeful is going to OO. Hope to receive the CPZ wave. Cheers to you guys and happy flying.

Cheers to you sir! Thanks for being part of our threads.. OO will be another good spot for you. Make sure to tell them the double wave is mostly a gesture of humorous comradere- unless we get a blank stare, In that case we shift to making fun of them.. See you at the majors!

mcnitchell
12-08-2018, 05:22 AM
I finally got a call and interviewed for an FO position after calling almost daily. They offered positioned on the spot. Later in the day a recruiter called and offered class date of May 30! Fingers crossed for earlier class date.

When did you apply? I was going to apply this March in hopes for a June or July class date. Bad move?

Excargodog
12-08-2018, 06:09 AM
When did you apply? I was going to apply this March in hopes for a June or July class date. Bad move?

Apply as soon as you are eligible, then negotiate for a class date afterwards. Generally a CJO is good for six months.

thrustisamust
12-08-2018, 06:18 AM

I applied middle of Oct. I'm not sure I would have gotten a call as soon as I did if I didn't have an internal rec that was also pestering the recruiting department for me. You can apply before you're qualified if you'd like. It's my understanding, and others who know better feel free to correct me, that your number in the pool has some significance. Best of luck!

week
12-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Those who are applying and those who are recruiters...

Whatís the 2019 staffing plan? Iím concerned. PM me if you have info

210Av8r
12-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Cheers to you sir! Thanks for being part of our threads.. OO will be another good spot for you. Make sure to tell them the double wave is mostly a gesture of humorous comradere- unless we get a blank stare, In that case we shift to making fun of them.. See you at the majors!

Thanks, amigo. I am a bit bummed that it didnít work out. You guys seem like a good bunch and you have a good gig with CPZ. I gave it my best shot. But it has been a good lesson about how timing is everything in this industry.

Iím excited to get training underway and looking forward to the challenges ahead. Winter in SLC? Not sure yet how this Cali boy is going to tackle that. Ha.

brocklee9000
12-08-2018, 09:34 PM

End of May? Man, thatís what I was afraid of, offering dates for summer months. My interview isnít until the 18th and I know LAS, SEA, and LAX interview locations are happening before they get to PHX on the 18th. Iíve been applying since late August with an internal rec,

Now, regardless of which airline you want (obviously assuming youíre building hours one way or another). On the phone, recruitment said they were hiring about 6 per class, and who knows how many theyíre going to call and have at each interview. Sounds like theyíre already trending toward summer months.

thrustisamust
12-09-2018, 08:19 AM
End of May? Man, thatís what I was afraid of, offering dates for summer months. My interview isnít until the 18th and I know LAS, SEA, and LAX interview locations are happening before they get to PHX on the 18th. Iíve been applying since late August with an internal rec,

Now, regardless of which airline you want (obviously assuming youíre building hours one way or another). On the phone, recruitment said they were hiring about 6 per class, and who knows how many theyíre going to call and have at each interview. Sounds like theyíre already trending toward summer months.

The far out class date was tough to swallow but better than not having a firm date I suppose? CPZ is my first choice and would love to land here but the timing may not work out for me. I still have until late January until I hit ATP mins, hoping by that time maybe to have a slightly earlier class date. Best of luck at the interview!

mcnitchell
12-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Apply as soon as you are eligible, then negotiate for a class date afterwards. Generally a CJO is good for six months.

OK cool, I will apply now then. Thanks!

poorflyer
12-09-2018, 09:26 AM
So since classes are so far out are we allowing people to apply early when below ATP mins. Or do they still have to be fairly close to ATP prior to applying.

DiamondDriver
12-09-2018, 05:19 PM
So since classes are so far out are we allowing people to apply early when below ATP mins. Or do they still have to be fairly close to ATP prior to applying.

When I applied, interviewed, and was given a CJO (April 2018)...I was 6 months and a few hundred hours away from ATP mins.

yrbroom
01-02-2019, 06:32 AM
For those applying, you folks hearing anything back lately? Trying to get a highly qualified friend in for even an interview but he canít seem to get a response.

TyWebb
01-02-2019, 06:55 AM
No response, applied in October

Taco280AI
01-02-2019, 06:55 AM
That's just CP not looking ahead and planning their hiring accordingly so we're properly staffed for the future. We're good now, so they'll wait till we're short on pilots, say "oh shoot, we're way understaffed we need to hire pilots!" Then they'll start making calls, have interviews, give CJOs, as we're short staffed and have no reserves. Then after a few months of being extremely short handed, pilots will start to hit the line, we'll get fat on FOs, then recruiting will go on vacation saying we're good on pilots... for now. Rinse, repeat.

JetDoc
01-02-2019, 08:24 AM
No response, applied in October

Referred a former student and good friend of mine around that same time. Solid guy, exceeded ATM mins by a bunch, lots of King Air time. Never heard a peep even after I made several emails to recruiting. He has a class date at Horizon now.

TillerTemptress
01-02-2019, 09:29 PM
That's just CP not looking ahead and planning their hiring accordingly so we're properly staffed for the future. We're good now, so they'll wait till we're short on pilots, say "oh shoot, we're way understaffed we need to hire pilots!" Then they'll start making calls, have interviews, give CJOs, as we're short staffed and have no reserves. Then after a few months of being extremely short handed, pilots will start to hit the line, we'll get fat on FOs, then recruiting will go on vacation saying we're good on pilots... for now. Rinse, repeat.

Hope someone asks this on the call..

journeybird
01-03-2019, 02:55 AM
Hi all, applied in july, heard back last week. Unfortunately I already started somewhere else and am through ioe. Good luck to the rest of you still seeking out Compass.

Excargodog
01-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Hi all, applied in july, heard back last week. Unfortunately I already started somewhere else and am through ioe. Good luck to the rest of you still seeking out Compass.

Good luck to you too, Journeybird. These are exciting times. I don’t really blame Compass recruiting for slowing things down as we started to get caught up in staffing with a lot of RTP guys they had advanced money to still coming in, but I wish they would have been more communicative to you guys about our actual status and future hiring timelines (assuming they knew). It would have just plain been more courteous when dealing with guys and gals making a big step in their careers.

Fair skies...

journeybird
01-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Good luck to you too, Journeybird. These are exciting times. I donít really blame Compass recruiting for slowing things down as we started to get caught up in staffing with a lot of RTP guys they had advanced money to still coming in, but I wish they would have been more communicative to you guys about our actual status and future hiring timelines (assuming they knew). It would have just plain been more courteous when dealing with guys and gals making a big step in their careers.

Fair skies...

I harbor no ill feelings, I just barely missed the hiring spree. It is what it is, hope Compass works for those who are still looking for their next step.

Aviatour
01-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Hi, thanks for sharing. Did they get in touch with you through email or phone?

journeybird
01-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Hi, thanks for sharing. Did they get in touch with you through email or phone?

No prob. It was through email.

Strenyakov
01-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Without trying to offend anyone, Iím curious about why people are still interested in Compass? There is a good chance they will lose delta flying. I imagine those planes will move to American or somewhere else and the basing will change to NY, DFW, or somewhere else. Why donít people just go to say, Skywest on the west coast.

DiamondDriver
01-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Without trying to offend anyone, I’m curious about why people are still interested in Compass? There is a good chance they will lose delta flying. I imagine those planes will move to American or somewhere else and the basing will change to NY, DFW, or somewhere else. Why don’t people just go to say, Skywest on the west coast.

I dont think any new hires are getting the 175 with a west coast base at Skywest without long reserve times. You could also go to a more "stable" regional wait those 7 months just for a class date, then sit reserve for awhile not growing as much flight time. Both SkyWest and say YX and 9E are definitely safer choices, with more stability, and an excellent option if you have a family, are older, no degree, other obligations, etc.

Any regional will be the best, or the worst depending on who you ask, just look at the varying opinions people have in every regional forum on APC. Find your lane, and your regional based on what works best for you. The rest is just noise.

Mid 20s, no wife, no kids, 4 year non-aviation degree, no crippling flight debt, etc, the risk / reward of coming here. Far outweighs the potential negatives that may happen. If CPZ is gone in 2020, 700+ 121 hours with the type will afford plenty of other options.

Excargodog
01-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Without trying to offend anyone, I’m curious about why people are still interested in Compass? There is a good chance they will lose delta flying. I imagine those planes will move to American or somewhere else and the basing will change to NY, DFW, or somewhere else. Why don’t people just go to say, Skywest on the west coast.

Contracts always have expiration dates. There is NEVER any predicting when or if they will be renewed.

The planes won’t ‘move to American’ since Delta owns them. They will go wherever Delta wants them to go. The FLYING out of the western bases Compass services will remain there because that’s where the people are. Someone will fly those pax. Unless/until Delta is ready to cover that flying with A220s (of which they currently have four of a 90 plane order) Delta will most likely use their planes to cover that flying.

Whether Compass does it, Skywest does it, Mesa does it, Endeavor does it, or Republic does it, those 36 aircraft are likely to continue on those routes. Already possessing the pilots and other infrastructure, it is probably cheaper to just leave them at Compass, but that’s going to require TSH and Delta to come to terms. Whether that happens or not is anyone’s guess.

And certainly people can go to Skywest, although that does not mean they will be on the west coast. A newbie starting in the 175 at Skywest currently is probably looking at at least 4-5 months at ORD or LGA. They will be in a crash pad sitting reserve awhile and not seeing a great deal of flying. And with their recent increase in pay, nothing really wrong with doing that, although you might wind up logging only 400 hours your first year you will be paid your minimum guarantee.
CRJ western bases are more junior and (generally) get more flying.

Horizon right now is not much better although there is a promised quasi-flow to Alaska. Mesa...., well, it’s Mesa.

So what does a newbie get? A bonus usually, and a type rating, and a relatively short time on reserve at one of three pretty good bases. Then you’ll have your line and be flying your butt off, logging 83 hours of flying a month. If the contract with Delta is renewed you’ll be upgrading at 18 months or so, and this will be a hell of a good deal.

If not, you take however many hours you have and a type rating and go where you want to go. Skywest will give you a bonus for having an ERJ type rating and credit for pay purposes (although not seniority) for your previous 121 time and you can go become a DEC pilot or almost DEC pilot at Envoy or Horizon or a couple of other places.

It is high risk high reward, but if TSH gets additional flying, either an extension from Delta or from anyone else, it’s likely your fastest way to build 121 time and 121 TPIC. If they don’t, you’ve got a type rating and 83 hours a month of 121 for as long as the flying lasts to take with you to your next job.

But there ARE no guarantees at the regionals. So it’s your choice. Ante up if you like the odds and it’s your kind of game. Go elsewhere if you don’t,

VIRotate
01-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Contracts always have expiration dates. There is NEVER any predicting when or if they will be renewed.

The planes wonít Ďmove to Americaní since Delta owns them. They will go wherever Delta wants them to go. The FLYING out of the western bases Compass services will remain there because thatís where the people are. Someone will fly those pax. Unless/until Delta is ready to cover that flying with A220s (of which they currently have four of a 90 plane order) Delta will most likely use their planes to cover that flying.

Whether Compass does it, Skywest does it, Mesa does it, Endeavor does it, or Republic does it, those 36 aircraft are likely to continue on those routes. Already possessing the pilots and other infrastructure, it is probably cheaper to just leave them at Compass, but thatís going to require TSH and Delta to come to terms. Whether that happens or not is anyoneís guess.

And certainly people can go to Skywest, although that does not mean they will be on the west coast. A newbie starting in the 175 at Skywest currently is probably looking at at least 4-5 months at ORD or LGA. They will be in a crash pad sitting reserve awhile and not seeing a great deal of flying. And with their recent increase in pay, nothing really wrong with doing that, although you might wind up logging only 400 hours your first year you will be paid your minimum guarantee.
CRJ western bases are more junior and (generally) get more flying.

Horizon right now is not much better although there is a promised quasi-flow to Alaska. Mesa...., well, itís Mesa.

So what does a newbie get? A bonus usually, and a type rating, and a relatively short time on reserve at one of three pretty good bases. Then youíll have your line and be flying your butt off, logging 83 hours of flying a month. If the contract with Delta is renewed youíll be upgrading at 18 months or so, and this will be a hell of a good deal.

If not, you take however many hours you have and a type rating and go where you want to go. Skywest will give you a bonus for having an ERJ type rating and credit for pay purposes (although not seniority) for your previous 121 time and you can go become a DEC pilot or almost DEC pilot at Envoy or Horizon or a couple of other places.

It is high risk high reward, but if TSH gets additional flying, either an extension from Delta or from anyone else, itís likely your fastest way to build 121 time and 121 TPIC. If they donít, youíve got a type rating and 83 hours a month of 121 for as long as the flying lasts to take with you to your next job.

But there ARE no guarantees at the regionals. So itís your choice. Ante up if you like the odds and itís your kind of game. Go elsewhere if you donít,

I swear you are the voice of reason on the CPZ forums.

TJBrass
01-13-2019, 01:25 AM
Mesa flying for Delta?

ninerdriver
01-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Without trying to offend anyone, Iím curious about why people are still interested in Compass? There is a good chance they will lose delta flying. I imagine those planes will move to American or somewhere else and the basing will change to NY, DFW, or somewhere else. Why donít people just go to say, Skywest on the west coast.

Because SkyWest is lame. All the cool kids know that.

poorflyer
01-13-2019, 06:44 AM
Because SkyWest is lame. All the cool kids know that.

Word302 and his buddies right now:

https://i.imgflip.com/2r19k3.jpg

JK we love you.

VIRotate
01-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Word302 and his buddies right now:

https://i.imgflip.com/2r19k3.jpg

JK we love you.

Itís actually a bit concerning how long itís been since weíve heard from word302...

Next time you are in SLC and on EXACTLY a 4 hour sit, go to the bathroom nearest the Skywest crew room and whisper ďword302, word302, word302Ē in the mirror and he should appear.

Dalda Erlines
01-14-2019, 10:51 AM
During my time at CPZ I want from new hire to 25% in the company in just under three years...nowhere else will you get that. As Excargodog says...contracts are contracts. Rumors come and go. Might as well work for a company that gets you the most time the fastest. CPZ was a great place to work with a lot of great people. I still refer people to get experience at CPZ. (Even with the so called impending doom).

Taco280AI
01-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Below 50% in less than a year for me

word302
01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Itís actually a bit concerning how long itís been since weíve heard from word302...

Next time you are in SLC and on EXACTLY a 4 hour sit, go to the bathroom nearest the Skywest crew room and whisper ďword302, word302, word302Ē in the mirror and he should appear.

Nah. I've just been spending countless hours in my parent's basement trying to get my meme game on par so that I feel adequate enough to post here. I'm not even close.

Excargodog
01-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Nah. I've just been spending countless hours in my parent's basement trying to get my meme game on par so that I feel adequate enough to post here. I'm not even close.

Thatís OK. Youíve been accepted as an honorary member. Post away. I swear Iíll print it out and put it up on my refrigerator with one of those magnet thingies. OK, on the beer fridge out in the garage, but only because the wife has our kids schoolwork obliterating the kitchen fridge.

week
01-18-2019, 03:36 AM
Iím starting to warm up to Word302.

On another note, probably best to not tell people to come here. Coming here as FO for a year, losing your job, and starting over somewhere else is *not* better than going some other place right off the bat. Not to mention OO (and others) pay a lot better and have job security, whereas compass has Ďmehí pay and a 75% chance of closing shop in the next 2 years

Excargodog
01-18-2019, 07:15 AM
I’m starting to warm up to Word302.

On another note, probably best to not tell people to come here. Coming here as FO for a year, losing your job, and starting over somewhere else is *not* better than going some other place right off the bat. Not to mention OO (and others) pay a lot better and have job security, whereas compass has ‘meh’ pay and a 75% chance of closing shop in the next 2 years

Gotta admit, it’s time that TSH comes up to OO pay standards, now that they’ve Leap-frogged past us. As for the doom and gloom, no way of telling but I still think it’s cheaper just to extend the contract than to move it. Ultimately, Delta might actually be serious about pulling the flying back in-house with the A220 though, at least the longer leg flying. That puts everyone with Delta flying at some degree of risk, even Endeavor. Compass WAS a Delta wholly owned, remember.

But I’m gonna ride this horse until it bucks me off or I get a better offer. Doing the same thing in an A220 wouldn’t bother me a bit.

word302
01-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Iím starting to warm up to Word302.

On another note, probably best to not tell people to come here. Coming here as FO for a year, losing your job, and starting over somewhere else is *not* better than going some other place right off the bat. Not to mention OO (and others) pay a lot better and have job security, whereas compass has Ďmehí pay and a 75% chance of closing shop in the next 2 years

For the record, none of us have job security.

Excargodog
01-18-2019, 07:47 AM
For the record, none of us have job security.

Very true.

And where's my meme?

C37AFE
01-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Delta CEO was pretty clear in video he is done with compass and gojet. Said they are consolidating to 3 regionals, endeavor, republic and Skywest.

Excargodog
01-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Delta CEO was pretty clear in video he is done with compass and gojet. Said they are consolidating to 3 regionals, endeavor, republic and Skywest.
And when the 90 A220s Delta has on order get here I expect it will impact even that flying. But currently they have four (4) of those 90 delivered, and I don’t believe they are in revenue service yet.

There’s a lot of information that is given out in this industry that - even if it’s not false from the get-go - winds up changing completely over time. Didn’t a lot of you TSA guys get lured there by the promise of MRJs? Fifty firm aircraft and 50 options? Announced way back in 2010? How’s that working out for you guys?

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/reports/orders-orders-orders-bombardier-boeing-and-mitsubishi-sell-next-generation-jets-21439

I don’t think your crystal ball is any less cloudy than anybody else’s.

thrustisamust
01-19-2019, 08:02 AM
I was given a CJO in Dec and offered a class date of May 30th...I've been pestering for an earlier class date and finally heard back. Moved me up to March 14th, this mean they're having trouble filling classes I assume? I'm a west coast resident and willing to take a high risk/high reward situation with cpz.

Taco280AI
01-19-2019, 08:05 AM
Why would you assume that? Might be a full class, just that someone had to change due to any number of reasons.

thrustisamust
01-19-2019, 08:13 AM
I'm a total noob when it comes to all of this, was just taking a stab at it.

Taco280AI
01-19-2019, 08:20 AM
Could change, but last I heard classes are full for the next few months. Probably why it took so long for them to move you up, needed a spot to open. Welcome to CP

Simple_Jack
01-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Thrustisamust, squeaky wheel gets the grease. New hires are always sliding in n out of classes for various reasons. If you catch a certain pilot recruiter who assigns new hires to classes (JC) at the right place right time, you might be able to move into an earlier class. Same thing happened to me. Doesnít mean they are having trouble filling classes, just timing/luck.

thrustisamust
01-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Thanks! I'm ready to roll

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1