Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Move to Republic

bscott58d
07-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Hello all. Currently flying 121 for another regional thinking of making the switch to Republic. Did some searching but looking to get insight on contractual reserve rules. Currently airline schedulers seem to thrive on using grey area to mod LCR to SCR to HRV and mod flights while out on trips. Contract is much better for line holders but common theme is to embrace the suck while on reserve because itís just the way it is. Culture standpoint not encouraging but understand some of it is paying dues.
Want to get insight on QOL for reserves and line holders in general. Anyone else make a sim jump and if so was it good or do you regret? Understand this is a open ended question of sorts but donít want to make the jump and pay a bonus back if going to experience sim on this side. Thanks in advance

Captain Slow
07-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Hello all. Currently flying 121 for another regional thinking of making the switch to Republic. Did some searching but looking to get insight on contractual reserve rules. Currently airline schedulers seem to thrive on using grey area to mod LCR to SCR to HRV and mod flights while out on trips. Contract is much better for line holders but common theme is to embrace the suck while on reserve because itís just the way it is. Culture standpoint not encouraging but understand some of it is paying dues.
Want to get insight on QOL for reserves and line holders in general. Anyone else make a sim jump and if so was it good or do you regret? Understand this is a open ended question of sorts but donít want to make the jump and pay a bonus back if going to experience sim on this side. Thanks in advance

Well for one we don't have junior manning and we don't presently use hot reserves (they just give line holders 3hr sits and then reassign them instead). It is in the contract... but it hasn't been used. Yet?

Reserves get 12 days off a month. Short call or Long call... long call goes to 10% of the reserves system wide, so some bases may have more than 10% LCR and some may have none. SCR is 2hr callout +45min showtime prior to departure. You can sit out of base reserve in other bases if they approve it (I did that a lot). On your last day of a SCR sequence you are auto-released 4hr prior to the end of the reserve period if you haven't heard from them. If you're commuting to reserve you can commute during the first two hours of the RAP but you are responsible for anything they put on your schedule during that time (so you may land and discover that you have to show for a trip in 45 minutes).

As far as assignments go they do pull some of the typical stunts... you just have to know the contract and what is legal and what is not. I haven't ever had them try to assign me something that would violate a FAR but I have had them try to bend the contract. I didn't have it happen much though, maybe once or twice in a 6mo period.

greendotplus10
07-18-2018, 12:09 PM
I chose Republic in part for the good contract. 5 months in and I can say that they've exceeded my expectations. Since then they've raised pay, opened a new base, picked up flying from other regionals, and just announced an order for 100 new aircraft. I've requested 6 days off in a row each month and gotten that or better each time (to non-rev and visit family/friends). No junior manning means your days off are your days off. I originally didn't want to go to the airlines at all because of the stories I've heard. But after doing some research, I found that all the regionals have upped their QOL game, and found Republic to be doing the best job. I started out in CMH and just went to the new IAH base. Live and lived in base, which makes reserve a whole lot easier. Pack for the entire duration of your reserve stretch, be ready for that phone call at the start of your RAP, and know the details of the contract!

bscott58d
07-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys. Forgot to ask about being able to self into or home from reserve/line. Current method is whim of scheduler and have had to non rev to base only to return right to my current airport to pick up a flight on more than a few occasions.

fantm11
07-19-2018, 05:50 AM
You can sit out of base reserve in other bases if they approve it (I did that a lot).

What is the process to make that happen? Seems like it could be a great deal if you donít have the domicile you want but live closer to another one...but maybe I misunderstand what you said.

theslyhombre
07-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Well for one we don't have junior manning and we don't presently use hot reserves (they just give line holders 3hr sits and then reassign them instead). It is in the contract... but it hasn't been used. Yet?

Reserves get 12 days off a month. Short call or Long call... long call goes to 10% of the reserves system wide, so some bases may have more than 10% LCR and some may have none. SCR is 2hr callout +45min showtime prior to departure. You can sit out of base reserve in other bases if they approve it (I did that a lot). On your last day of a SCR sequence you are auto-released 4hr prior to the end of the reserve period if you haven't heard from them. If you're commuting to reserve you can commute during the first two hours of the RAP but you are responsible for anything they put on your schedule during that time (so you may land and discover that you have to show for a trip in 45 minutes).

As far as assignments go they do pull some of the typical stunts... you just have to know the contract and what is legal and what is not. I haven't ever had them try to assign me something that would violate a FAR but I have had them try to bend the contract. I didn't have it happen much though, maybe once or twice in a 6mo period.
CapSlow, thanks for your postings. Saw on a few minutes ago about QOL, etc. I appreciate your apparent honesty. I'm a re-tread, been out of aviation for 8, now instructing for 2. Looking at Endeavor and Republic, pay mostly, in case things fall apart. Thanks again

Captain Slow
07-19-2018, 02:02 PM
What is the process to make that happen? Seems like it could be a great deal if you donít have the domicile you want but live closer to another one...but maybe I misunderstand what you said.

You can call crew support 1 week out from your reserve sequence and ask them to change it to another base. Within 48 hours scheduling can do it but they arenít as friendly.

They donít have to but especially if they donít have to DH you or provide you a hotel they will normally do it for you.

blindfayth
07-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Can anyone provide a link to me for Republic's current contract? I'd like to read it.

fantm11
07-19-2018, 04:22 PM
You can call crew support 1 week out from your reserve sequence and ask them to change it to another base. Within 48 hours scheduling can do it but they arenít as friendly.

They donít have to but especially if they donít have to DH you or provide you a hotel they will normally do it for you.

Nice! Thanks!

bscott58d
07-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Wanting to read as well if possible. All the Republic pilots Iíve talked too only have one complaint and itís no flow to mainline. Have a feeling thatís not far down the road. Only hesitation is no domicile near GSP where I live although I do like flying DCA for current airline. Interview Monday so we shall see how things go

McCringleberry
07-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Wanting to read as well if possible. All the Republic pilots Iíve talked too only have one complaint and itís no flow to mainline. Have a feeling thatís not far down the road. Only hesitation is no domicile near GSP where I live although I do like flying DCA for current airline. Interview Monday so we shall see how things go

How would they have a flow/agreement with mainline?

sflpilot
07-21-2018, 04:01 AM
How would they have a flow/agreement with mainline?

They wonít. Itís basically not possible given their situation. There will be a lot of hiring at mainline in the next 8+ years. It will just be up to you. Lccís will be an even easier option.

intherightseat
07-21-2018, 09:15 AM
They wonít. Itís basically not possible given their situation. There will be a lot of hiring at mainline in the next 8+ years. It will just be up to you. Lccís will be an even easier option.

To your point, from what Iíve garnered (and observed with friends) any flow, DGI, or CPP all have timetables that exceed the recent timeline of OTS regional hiring at the majors; I didnít see it as a negative when looking at YX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njd1
07-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Flow doesn't mean a thing in this climate, and if the economy tanks, so will hiring everywhere, so again, flow doesn't matter.

Guys are getting hired out of this place after 1-2 years to LCCs and majors. This, in combination with the 100 aircraft order, is why we're hiring FOs like they're going out of style.

Arliss
07-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Here's a question: with the new bonus payout structure (spread out instead of all at once) is there still any kind of commitment?

zanfarroway
07-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Here's a question: with the new bonus payout structure (spread out instead of all at once) is there still any kind of commitment?

Still 2 years iirc.

Arliss
07-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Still 2 years iirc.

So you take the first $10k they have you for 2 years even though you haven't taken the next $7500??

zanfarroway
07-25-2018, 06:54 PM
So you take the first $10k they have you for 2 years even though you haven't taken the next $7500??

Not sure if I really grasped what you said, but basically you'd have to pay back the bonus if you left within 2 years. Nothing says that you have to stay for 2 years. Each month you stay, you get to keep 1/24 of the bonus. So if you only stay for a year, you'd only have to pay back half of what you took.

Arliss
07-25-2018, 07:37 PM
That kinda blows. I figured that with the spread out payments theyíd shorten the terms or do away with it, like Endeavor.

TheWeatherman
07-26-2018, 02:09 PM
That kinda blows. I figured that with the spread out payments theyíd shorten the terms or do away with it, like Endeavor.
Have no idea what you are talking about. You get the full bonus by the end of IOE unless they changed something.

Jungle Jim
07-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Have no idea what you are talking about. You get the full bonus by the end of IOE unless they changed something.

Nope you'll have a total of $10k by the end of OE. The rest is paid out over the first two years.

zanfarroway
07-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Nope you'll have a total of $10k by the end of OE. The rest is paid out over the first two years.

Correct, 10k. Then 2.5k at 1 yr, 1.5yr, and 2yr.

TheWeatherman
07-26-2018, 03:27 PM
Ohh, they are giving out extra money now on top of the 10K at the end of OE? Nice, not sure what that guy was complaining about.

blindfayth
07-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Ohh, they are giving out extra money now on top of the 10K at the end of OE? Nice, not sure what that guy was complaining about.

Yeah. Someone joining today makes at least 55k first year (45k + 10k bonus), 58k second year (51k + 7.5k bonus), then if the 2 year upgrades happen, 95k third year.

That's being conservative, too. I'd imagine that if someone lived in base from day one, they could hold a line and get nice credit hours per month 2 months out of training, making it look more like this.

Year 1: 10k bonus + 4k per diem + [12 x (45 hrly rate * 95 credit hours)] = about 65k first year.

Year 2: 7.5k bonus + 4k per diem + [12 x (51 hrly rate * 95 credit hours)] = about 70k second year.

Year 3 upgrade pay: 4k per diem + [12 x (95 hrly rate * 95 credit hours)] = 112k third year. Probably much less due to being on reserve. (maybe around 85-90k)

Of course, mileage my vary. Taxes, health care costs, parking, flight benefits, 401k pre-tax deductions, amount of time on reserve, amount of flying picked up or dropped, etc may cause numbers to vary.

However, for someone willing to move to the midwest (CMH), these numbers provide someone a very health standard of living that's just starting out their 121 career in a location with very affordable cost of living.

This is also wonderful considering that this type of compensation would be attainable while also maintaining 15-18 days off a month, flying a newer fleet.

Now, would a DGI at EDV and being able to live near DTW outweigh these benefits? Is something like a DGI going to be necessary in this coming market? What if I'm completely content going to a LCC like SWA, JetBlue, or Spirit? Heck, what if I'm content making 140$/hr * 95hrs a month (160k) at RPA down the road until I retire? Do I *really* need more money than that?

planesense
08-04-2018, 09:27 PM
To your point, from what Iíve garnered (and observed with friends) any flow, DGI, or CPP all have timetables that exceed the recent timeline of OTS regional hiring at the majors; I didnít see it as a negative when looking at YX.

Is there anywhere I can go to learn what all these abbreviations mean? LCC, DGI, CPP, OTS, YX, etc.?

dera
08-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Is there anywhere I can go to learn what all these abbreviations mean? LCC, DGI, CPP, OTS, YX, etc.?

LCC = Low Cost Carrier
DGI = Delta Guaranteed Interview
CPP = (united) Career Path Program
OTS = Off The Street
YX = Republic.

Someone smarter can correct if I missed something.

TransWorld
08-05-2018, 04:24 AM
I have suggested APC put together an acronym list. We have and will continue to have even more new hires joining the forum.

So far, I am waiting on a response. . .

jfroehlich
08-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Can anyone provide a link to me for Republic's current contract? I'd like to read it.

I'd suggest asking the recruiter. When I asked they sent me a PDF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sflpilot
08-06-2018, 02:02 AM
IBT=International Brotherhood of Teamsters
CBA=Collective Bargaining Agreement

TJBrass
08-06-2018, 04:26 AM
Isn't YX Midwest Express?

Captain Slow
08-06-2018, 04:48 AM
Isn't YX Midwest Express?

It was. It became Republicís code when we bought it.

MooseAg03
08-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Not sure if I really grasped what you said, but basically you'd have to pay back the bonus if you left within 2 years. Nothing says that you have to stay for 2 years. Each month you stay, you get to keep 1/24 of the bonus. So if you only stay for a year, you'd only have to pay back half of what you took.

Would you really have to pay back half of what you were given? If you stay for 15 months, youíd have received $12,500 by that point. If the bonus is $17,500 / 24 itís worth $729/mo. After that 15 months you would have ďearnedĒ $10,937 so youíd have to pay back $1,562, no? Just a portion of the last payment.

zanfarroway
08-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Would you really have to pay back half of what you were given? If you stay for 15 months, youíd have received $12,500 by that point. If the bonus is $17,500 / 24 itís worth $729/mo. After that 15 months you would have ďearnedĒ $10,937 so youíd have to pay back $1,562, no? Just a portion of the last payment.

Not exactly "half" by the word, half just happened to be the amount for the scenario I provided (12/24 months). It is pro-rata'd per month in a 24 month period, so your math is correct.

Also, I believe someone said that the timer starts at completion of IOE, so have to keep that in mind.

814Pilot
08-14-2018, 06:27 AM
- $1,500 at the end of your first 30 days (I got this in my first paycheck like day 6)
- $8,500 when you complete your training and IOE
- $2,500 at 12 months of employment
- $2,500 at 18 months of employment
- $2,500 at 24 months of employment

DuKo
10-17-2018, 06:11 AM
I'd suggest asking the recruiter. When I asked they sent me a PDF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you take a look at that PDF for me or DM me a copy? I'm not in a position yet to get recruiters on the phone because I have a few years before retirement from the military. I'm not so much concerned with the new soft pay "although it is always a factor" but how is the retirement plan laid out? I'm looking to interview with a solid regional in a few years and I am trying to stay put somewhere and build seniority. A respectable retirement plan is a must for me. I have noticed people mention 140 as the top pay at YX, is that a thing now? Any help would be appreciated.

TheWeatherman
10-17-2018, 06:18 AM
Could you take a look at that PDF for me or DM me a copy? I'm not in a position yet to get recruiters on the phone because I have a few years before retirement from the military. I'm not so much concerned with the new soft pay "although it is always a factor" but how is the retirement plan laid out? I'm looking to interview with a solid regional in a few years and I am trying to stay put somewhere and build seniority. A respectable retirement plan is a must for me. I have noticed people mention 140 as the top pay at YX, is that a thing now? Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing retirement related any of these Regionals is going to have is 401K and flight benefits. I don't know how the 401K stacks up, but there is not that much difference between the Regionals. The good thing about working at a place like Republic who does all three Majors is that you could get retirement benefits on American, United, and Delta, whereas if you work at a place like Endeaver it would just be for Delta.

All this information is available in Aerocrew News (https://www.aerocrewnews.com/) (Free digital subscription). As a matter of fact, anybody who is looking to go to the Regionals in the near future should be reading that and keeping up with the contract changes. Not so much for the fluff pieces in the beginning, but for the tables in the back that compare all the airlines.

Now after saying all of that, if you are more then a few years from mandatory retirement when getting out of the Military; unless the current climate changes, retiring from a Regional should not be your goal.

magnus0322
10-17-2018, 10:34 AM
The only thing retirement related any of these Regionals is going to have is 401K and flight benefits. I don't know how the 401K stacks up, but there is not that much difference between the Regionals. The good thing about working at a place like Republic who does all three Majors is that you could get retirement benefits on American, United, and Delta, whereas if you work at a place like Endeaver it would just be for Delta.

All this information is available in Aerocrew News (https://www.aerocrewnews.com/) (Free digital subscription). As a matter of fact, anybody who is looking to go to the Regionals in the near future should be reading that and keeping up with the contract changes. Not so much for the fluff pieces in the beginning, but for the tables in the back that compare all the airlines.

Now after saying all of that, if you are more then a few years from mandatory retirement when getting out of the Military; unless the current climate changes, retiring from a Regional should not be your goal.No retirement travel benefits at Republic anymore

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Viking6
10-17-2018, 10:51 AM

If youíre a military pilot I would look elsewhere, if you plan on making a career at a regional. Military pilots at YX tend to move on quickly, but a few stay around. Retirement benefits at republic are only 401K, and honestly itís not that good. If you want travel after you retire, then you should look at a wholly owned regional. I would suggest not making a career at a regional, because you will never have a guaranteed job.

iScooter
10-17-2018, 03:18 PM
No retirement travel benefits at Republic anymore

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You have a source for that statement please?

DuKo
10-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Now after saying all of that, if you are more then a few years from mandatory retirement when getting out of the Military; unless the current climate changes, retiring from a Regional should not be your goal.

I found the pdf.
The 401k match breakdown is:
Yr
1-4= 3%
5= 3.5%
6-9= 5.5%
10-12 = 6%
13-15 = 8%
16+ = 9%

These are the numbers that start in 2020. The pay increase in 2020 is nice too, but I see where people are mad because it wasnt quite EDV or better. Close, but not quite.

Thanks for the link.
I just started following these forums not too long ago. I started my aviation career as a FW guy in deland, fl. I turned down a job with ASA back when the airlines were paying pilots with old shirt buttons and pocket lint but I have alot of friends who went on and got jobs, so I've been talking to them when I have questions. I am finding you guys to be helpful because you are more recent in the positions.

My goal is to not get into a cycle of upgrade and become the low guy on the seniority list. I'm more concerned with home time than money. I will have about 22 years before mandatory retirement. If I choose to move on, I will. I would never say never. What I am looking for right now is a company where if I choose to stay, I'll have a decent enough salary and 401k to be comfortable.
Thank you guys. I appreciate the insight.