Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

armyclimber
07-18-2018, 11:58 AM
So I am an Army veteran. I was on active duty for 12 years and some change before becoming a pilot and perusing this career.

I know that a lot of carriers prefer veterans.

Does this just apply to those that flew in the military?

About me:

2550 hrs
1000 pc-12 PIC both 135 and 91
2200 PIC

Currently at ATP for CTP paid for by a regional.

I also have a BS in Aviation from University of Alaska.

Obviously Iím not gonna get hired at American next month, but Iím just trying to get an idea of where i should be aiming my sights.

Thanks

rickair7777
07-18-2018, 12:31 PM
As a non-pilot mil vet you'll get a very slight preference simply because they know you can follow rules in an organization, and show up on time with a clean uniform and a shave.

But it's not going to get you hired at a top tier major without competitive quals. It's possible you might get called just a little sooner. A little more credit if you were an officer.

Also ASEL TPIC isn't worth much unless it was in a fighter. You need to go fly a crewed glass ME jet (sounds like you're doing that next).

armyclimber
07-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Yeah I know the PC-12 time isnít super valuable... again not trying to go to American tomorrow. But itís also not flying a Cessna.

Flying single pilot into LAX or SEA on a cloudy day is not a walk in the park.

Regardless yeah I am headed to a regional... just gotta check this CTP box first.

I thought of this because a recruiter for a regional that I talked to, I donít remeber which one now, tried convincing me that ďthe majors love veteransĒ and I just find that to be suspect. I mean I know they hire military pilots, but why the heck would anyone care if I was a satellite tech in the Army? So I figured Iíd ask the peanut gallery their thoughts.

Beech Dude
07-18-2018, 05:11 PM
You're doing all the right things. Just keep chopping. Good luck.

PurpleToolBox
07-19-2018, 02:03 AM
You're doing all the right things. Just keep chopping. Good luck.

Don't sell yourself short. Apply EVERYWHERE. Update those apps each time you go flying.

I recently flew with a new FO which in my opinion had extremely too little experience. But that is the HR department's call, not mine. So you never know when the big dawgs might call you.

ski fish fly
07-19-2018, 10:33 AM
So I am an Army veteran. I was on active duty for 12 years and some change before becoming a pilot and perusing this career.

I know that a lot of carriers prefer veterans.

Does this just apply to those that flew in the military?

About me:

2550 hrs
1000 pc-12 PIC both 135 and 91
2200 PIC

Currently at ATP for CTP paid for by a regional.

I also have a BS in Aviation from University of Alaska.

Obviously Iím not gonna get hired at American next month, but Iím just trying to get an idea of where i should be aiming my sights.

Thanks

First, thanks for your 12 years.

I fly for a major airline. I have flown with many former military members who were not pilots in the military ... both former officers and former enlisted members from every specialty imaginable.

Your 12 years of successful service is a great resume bullet. Everything else being equal, itís something that separates you from the masses.

Sounds like youíre on the right path.

USMCFLYR
07-20-2018, 03:08 AM
Don't sell yourself short. Apply EVERYWHERE. Update those apps each time you go flying.

I recently flew with a new FO which in my opinion had extremely too little experience. But that is the HR department's call, not mine. So you never know when the big dawgs might call you.

Can you share more about this seemingly inexperienced FO?
Background, hours, previous flying experience/jobs?

Castle Bravo
07-27-2018, 03:55 PM
I mean I know they hire military pilots, but why the heck would anyone care if I was a satellite tech in the Army? So I figured Iíd ask the peanut gallery their thoughts.

Does it matter? Yes, it matters, and in a positive way. How much? Dunno. But it matters.

You served (& re-upped) in a demanding job, exposed to hazards where courage counts, had a Secret (or TS) clearance, deployed, know what it's like to be gone a lot from home and momma, (spouse), were discharged favorably, gained Leadership skills, and can work well with others in stressful situations. These are all areas we as Vets have experience, where your "typical" Embry-Riddle/UND (etc) kid does not. In short, you have fewer "question marks" than the normal new hire.

Add all that plus your 2550 TT on top of what you'll get at your RJ, and you will stand out from your hiring group peers.

The bottom line is 121 hours are king no matter how you slice it, but you will stand out. An Interview Prep pro can maximize your Vet advantage for you. Best of luck!

HuggyU2
07-27-2018, 09:47 PM
But itís also not flying a Cessna.

Don't scoff Cessna time

http://p1-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Latitude-in-flight--640x426.jpg

Grumble
07-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Does it matter? Yes, it matters, and in a positive way. How much? Dunno. But it matters.

You served (& re-upped) in a demanding job, exposed to hazards where courage counts, had a Secret (or TS) clearance, deployed, know what it's like to be gone a lot from home and momma, (spouse), were discharged favorably, gained Leadership skills, and can work well with others in stressful situations. These are all areas we as Vets have experience, where your "typical" Embry-Riddle/UND (etc) kid does not. In short, you have fewer "question marks" than the normal new hire.

Add all that plus your 2550 TT on top of what you'll get at your RJ, and you will stand out from your hiring group peers.

The bottom line is 121 hours are king no matter how you slice it, but you will stand out. An Interview Prep pro can maximize your Vet advantage for you. Best of luck!

What he said. EVERYTHING you did matters. Part of why the airlines love mil guys is theyíre getting a known well rounded and experienced applicant. All those ground jobs translate into management and leadership experience. Your job is to translate all of it into something that a normal civilian can understand in the context of a corporate climate. Google all the HR buzzwords they want to see, then fit them all into your work description because I guarantee you, most of them qualify.

Pyro
07-28-2018, 11:51 AM
What he said. EVERYTHING you did matters. Part of why the airlines love mil guys is...

Unions scare them and they'd rather not get involved.....

Grumble
07-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Unions scare them and they'd rather not get involved.....

Elaborate...