Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New hires

Elberton
07-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Hey guys what bases and airplanes are new hires going too? Howís the quality of life for E175 vs Q400?

DashAviator
07-20-2018, 04:29 AM
I think you stumped us there. I'll try for a short answer:

If you're hired into the E175, you can have any base you want as long as it's Seattle. For Q400 FO's, the junior bases are Medford and Portland. Spokane, Boise, and Seattle tend to be more senior. Most of the FO's are getting their base of choice within one year.

As far as the "quality of life" issue, that's impossible for me to answer because I don't know what your priorities are. I expect the jet schedules to be much better, but we're currently way overstaffed on the E175. At the present time, the Q400 pilots are flying a lot and the jet pilots are mostly sitting around. In my opinion, the biggest single factor that will make or break your "quality of life" is living in base versus commuting.

Vanilla
07-20-2018, 12:49 PM
You want a cake workload? Go to the E175. Want to "fly"? Go Q400. I can't speak for the Q at Horizon (though I did fly the Q at a previous operator). The 175 will typically have 2 to 4 legs a day. My friends on the Q do 4 to 6 leg days.

Some of the current, cake E175 schedules - 2 day trip example (though it tends to go senior): SEA-MSP-SAN. 20ish hour overnight in downtown San Diego. SAN-MSP-SEA. Other common E175 overnights are ABQ, SFO, SJC, PSC, PDX and YYC. Oh yeah, did I mention you get first class/crew meals on the E175? As we take on more E175s and lose Qs, we will probably see more Q type legs (Short). This will drive Embraer crazy. We'll see how the Alaska mothership handles this fleet transition.
For both aircraft, if you hold a line, you get 11 days off minimum and 12 days off if you are on reserve.

snackysmores
07-21-2018, 07:09 PM
There's some decent E175 trips, but I feel like there's more bad ones than good ones.

Lots of 1 leg days for 1.5 credit, circadian swaps, etc. If the same trips were flown by a Q400 you would make 3-5 more credits per trip consistently.

VanDriver208
07-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Just curious, the company is advertising that people with 1000 hours 121 can upgrade pretty much right away? What's the real story with that? Is it both airframes, only a certain base, etc?

Fleet Warp
07-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Just curious, the company is advertising that people with 1000 hours 121 can upgrade pretty much right away? What's the real story with that? Is it both airframes, only a certain base, etc?

It can be either plane, Q classes are available immediately but there might be a delay in class date for the jet. Both the captain award and base follows the normal rules of bidding. They can't hire DEC per the CBA, so you bid on the first of the month. E175 is only based in Seattle for now.

The way it was explained was they bring captain eligible candidates in on the class date that is later in the month so by the time the bid is awarded, you train left seat in the Sims

afcraig2010
07-22-2018, 06:09 PM
In my indoc class we had a new hire who started with us but pretty much went straight to captain training. During uniform issue he came back with 4 bars so...

And in my Q class we have a guy who started with the FO training, went through VPT and then started over for captain. Heís never flown the Q but obviously has the required hours.

snackysmores
07-22-2018, 06:37 PM
The only thing they might not tell is you is that you'll be on reserve for the next 5 years if you upgrade immediately. For the Q will you definitely fly on reserve, but not on the jet right now.

If you are coming for consistent flight time the dash is the better option to upgrade on. If you want to get paid to sit at home/airport and collect min guarantee do the jet.

ASpilot2be
07-22-2018, 09:29 PM
The only thing they might not tell is you is that you'll be on reserve for the next 5 years if you upgrade immediately. For the Q will you definitely fly on reserve, but not on the jet right now.

If you are coming for consistent flight time the dash is the better option to upgrade on. If you want to get paid to sit at home/airport and collect min guarantee do the jet.
That's what I keep hearing. But I have barely been used on reserve. It felt like getting paid to sit at home. I looked and there were 12 captains on reserve in pdx the other day.

Vanilla
07-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Yea with the current E175 fleet at 15, a typical staffing model would required at least 75 captains. With the latest award, we have about 161 captains. Even with 26 E175s projected by year's end, that would require at least 130 captains. There's always the buffer needed for management pilots and instructors that fly "part time", but currently it's paid vacation for most reserves. I'd guess many are taking the quick upgrade for financial reasons and to update their resume/application.

It can be either plane, Q classes are available immediately but there might be a delay in class date for the jet. Both the captain award and base follows the normal rules of bidding. They can't hire DEC per the CBA, so you bid on the first of the month. E175 is only based in Seattle for now.

The way it was explained was they bring captain eligible candidates in on the class date that is later in the month so by the time the bid is awarded, you train left seat in the Sims

Word on the street is the the company and union are working on an LOA for Direct Entry Captains.

Fleet Warp
07-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Yea with the current E175 fleet at 15, a typical staffing model would required at least 75 captains. With the latest award, we have about 161 captains. Even with 26 E175s projected by year's end, that would require at least 130 captains.

I could be wrong, but i think my last airline staffed around 8:1 or 9:1 on crews. So by my reckoning, those numbers sound about right for expected growth and staying ahead of deliveries. Average line value was also pretty high there too.

snackysmores
07-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Word on the street is the the company and union are working on an LOA for Direct Entry Captains.

Let's see, I'll take 4.2 min for the jet and 4 commuter hotels per month, and EDV pay rates to start. Also, I don't want anyone to have to call CS after completion of a reserve assignment, positive space DH if first commute missed, no junior manning and no last second schedule reassignments for line-holders. 200% premium solidified in contract.

Anything less and I'm voting no.

oldgb
07-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Let's see, I'll take 4.2 min for the jet and 4 commuter hotels per month, and EDV pay rates to start. Also, I don't want anyone to have to call CS after completion of a reserve assignment, positive space DH if first commute missed, no junior manning and no last second schedule reassignments for line-holders. 200% premium solidified in contract.

Finally seeing someone put something out there that makes sense, but we can do better.

We are the #1 regional for on time, controllable performance, so lets be paid like it. The pay rates should have a trigger that keep us in the top three, then reset to #1. After the raise to top of industry rates, and it should be applied to the captains also, we will stay there until we drop to #3, when we get beat out by another, making us #4, an automatic increase to again be #1, by the next whole dollar.

And a six year contract for rate renegotiation is total B.S. Never again. The industry is too fluid right now with pay.

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Finally seeing someone put something out there that makes sense, but we can do better.

We are the #1 regional for on time, controllable performance, so lets be paid like it. The pay rates should have a trigger that keep us in the top three, then reset to #1. After the raise to top of industry rates, and it should be applied to the captains also, we will stay there until we drop to #3, when we get beat out by another, making us #4, an automatic increase to again be #1, by the next whole dollar.

And a six year contract for rate renegotiation is total B.S. Never again. The industry is too fluid right now with pay.

As much as I want the same to happen, the new hire list has been massive for an airline our size since the pay raise and bonus kicked in last year. Over 350 of 800 pilots have been hired in the last year. The company most likely wonít touch our pay until attracting new hires starts to suffer. With SkyWest rates still well below ours and word getting out the NW is very senior left seat wise it isnít hard to see why we have a bunch of people coming through our doors right now.

I do say before the union gives the company an inch on street CA they need to get jet guys that 4.2. So wrong what happens to those guys as far as credit just because the company can do it that way. However I will gladly take a pay raise lol. If we had endeavor pay right now we would be filling classes up and probably even able to find the most competitive and capable instead of hiring someone with the mins and a pulse, which is the only way I got in the door last year :D :D

snackysmores
07-23-2018, 03:47 PM
As much as I want the same to happen, the new hire list has been massive for an airline our size since the pay raise and bonus kicked in last year. Over 350 of 800 pilots have been hired in the last year. The company most likely wonít touch our pay until attracting new hires starts to suffer.

That's fine, they can keep paying extra for the longer training length then.

I am sick and tired of hearing Brad and Gary thank us endlessly for being the #1 regional and lining their pockets with massive bonuses. I don't want the pep talks or thank you's or thumbs up gestures.

The number 1 regional should be compensated with number 1 rates and QOL enhancements, and I'm sorry Gary but you are extremely out of touch with reality when you say we have "industry leading pay."

Fleet Warp
07-23-2018, 06:32 PM

LOAs don't typically go to a member vote, if you feel strongly about it, you should talk to your reps.

snackysmores
07-23-2018, 08:16 PM
LOAs don't typically go to a member vote, if you feel strongly about it, you should talk to your reps.

Well, the last one did. Wasn't significant either, just 4.2/bonus and $40/hour for new hires

tanker95
07-25-2018, 12:54 PM
How easy would it be for a new hire FO to get based in BOI? Would commuting from BOI to another base be a difficult one? Thanks!

TyWebb
07-25-2018, 01:30 PM
New Hires or established pilots,

How long between dropping an application or contacting recruiting did it take to get the trip up and have an interview? I am trying to figure out the timing of it all. I will be checking commercial (add-on) within the next month and then proceeding to ME, BUT I need to schedule a routine surgery to take out a plate that was inserted as a result of a bike accident. The surgery two years ago caused a lot of pain when I decided to get back into aviation. It took several months and coordination to get the FAA to clear my medical, so I am assuming I'll have to go through that again. I have a feeling if I let Horizon know that they will want me to get the rating complete, have the surgery, get my medical cleared and then proceed with them? Or would they offer an CJO based on all the above if I were to interview before the surgery and completion of ME?

snackysmores
07-25-2018, 02:42 PM

How long between dropping an application or contacting recruiting did it take to get the trip up and have an interview? I am trying to figure out the timing of it all. I will be checking commercial (add-on) within the next month and then proceeding to ME, BUT I need to schedule a routine surgery to take out a plate that was inserted as a result of a bike accident. The surgery two years ago caused a lot of pain when I decided to get back into aviation. It took several months and coordination to get the FAA to clear my medical, so I am assuming I'll have to go through that again. I have a feeling if I let Horizon know that they will want me to get the rating complete, have the surgery, get my medical cleared and then proceed with them? Or would they offer an CJO based on all the above if I were to interview before the surgery and completion of ME?

They will want you to finish your ME and get your medical cleared first before they fly you up to SEA and spend all day interviewing you and putting you up in a hotel for potentially 2 nights.

It also cant hurt to ask them directly, they're very friendly.

Vanilla
07-25-2018, 09:19 PM
How easy would it be for a new hire FO to get based in BOI? Would commuting from BOI to another base be a difficult one? Thanks!

Current bottom 3 BOI FO date of hires:
1/22/18
2/5/18
2/5/18

The latest award on 7/22 shows 3 from the April classes getting BOI award so it's possible by the time you finish IOE you could hold it. Otherwise, count on 1 to 3 months commuting to MFR or PDX. Plenty of BOI-PDX flights. MFR would be a double leg. Horizon has a 2 flight commuter policy.

TyWebb
07-26-2018, 12:12 PM
They will want you to finish your ME and get your medical cleared first before they fly you up to SEA and spend all day interviewing you and putting you up in a hotel for potentially 2 nights.

It also cant hurt to ask them directly, they're very friendly.

Noted, Thank you. Just shot recruiting an email with a brief on the issue. The AME doesn't think ill need to go through clearing OKC like I did prior to starting my add-ons so may not be as bad as orginally thought.

tanker95
07-26-2018, 09:11 PM
Current bottom 3 BOI FO date of hires:
1/22/18
2/5/18
2/5/18

The latest award on 7/22 shows 3 from the April classes getting BOI award so it's possible by the time you finish IOE you could hold it. Otherwise, count on 1 to 3 months commuting to MFR or PDX. Plenty of BOI-PDX flights. MFR would be a double leg. Horizon has a 2 flight commuter policy.

Great thanks! How many hours are the BOI FOís flying per month by chance?

TroutBum
07-27-2018, 08:14 AM

I think it was a little less than a week from submitting my application until getting a call. My interview was about three weeks after the call. Recruiting suggested a date and it worked with my schedule, but I imagine they are very flexible.

I do know they interview folks who are a few hundred hours short of their 1500 who are put in later class dates.

DashAviator
07-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Just another random data point to consider...

In the "Pilot Chat" conference call yesterday, one of our managers stated that classes were booked out to about three months. In other words, expect some delay between the job offer and your class date. This has been (almost always) true for the Embraer, but it sounds like they're now filling up the Q400 classes in advance as well. Perhaps some of our new hires could comment on this. How long from the interview to your class date?

TroutBum
07-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Just another random data point to consider...

In the "Pilot Chat" conference call yesterday, one of our managers stated that classes were booked out to about three months. In other words, expect some delay between the job offer and your class date. This has been (almost always) true for the Embraer, but it sounds like they're now filling up the Q400 classes in advance as well. Perhaps some of our new hires could comment on this. How long from the interview to your class date?

I don't know about the Q400, but the Embraer is now into late October.

DiamondDriver
07-27-2018, 12:43 PM
I don't know about the Q400, but the Embraer is now into late October.

I was offered an Interview in September, and the available class dates were in the Thanksgiving - December timeframe. I selected the Q...not sure if that would have swayed the timeframe. I did ask, and was told (what we already know) there is more flying on the Q right now. I scheduled the interview in early July. The September interview was the first option I was offered.

afcraig2010
07-27-2018, 05:37 PM
I interviewed May 30th and was told to expect July to August. Then later that day I got a call for a June 11 start date. Iím on the new training footprint and my schedule now goes through my first OE trip and I have no large gaps in any of the training.

airborne840
08-16-2018, 08:44 AM
I live in PHX and looking into Horizon. Anyone have experience with the commute from PHX-SEA?

journeybird
08-16-2018, 09:35 AM
Am I correct in following the guidelines on the listing that there's no use in applying if I don't meet the following:

-A minimum of 60 hours flown in the last 6 months, required

Vanilla
08-16-2018, 10:18 AM
I live in PHX and looking into Horizon. Anyone have experience with the commute from PHX-SEA?

Have you looked at Compass with their PHX base? Well, I've heard their classes are booked full through the end of the year. There is always Mesa with their PHX base as well.

Am I correct in following the guidelines on the listing that there's no use in applying if I don't meet the following:

How many hours do you have in the last 6 months? I'd say apply even if have 30 hours. If you get an interview, convince them that you will build the hours necessary for recency and proficiency. Classes are booked through October/November so there is plenty of time. Otherwise, the worst that can happen is a TBNT and some time wasted on an application.

TroutBum
08-16-2018, 10:59 AM

A fair number of ex-military pilots, myself included, would have a hard time meeting that requirement. To be honest, I don't recall if that requirement was in place when I interviewed a couple of months ago. But we did discuss my recent flight experience at the interview and I talked about the things I had been doing to get current and proficient.

Good luck.

airborne840
08-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Yup applied to Compass last month and havenít heard a peep. Iím starting to look at plan B and researching who else has west coast basing. Have you looked at Compass with their PHX base? Well, I've heard their classes are booked full through the end of the year. There is always Mesa with their PHX base as well.

How many hours do you have in the last 6 months? I'd say apply even if have 30 hours. If you get an interview, convince them that you will build the hours necessary for recency and proficiency. Classes are booked through October/November so there is plenty of time. Otherwise, the worst that can happen is a TBNT and some time wasted on an application.

journeybird
08-16-2018, 11:31 AM
A fair number of ex-military pilots, myself included, would have a hard time meeting that requirement. To be honest, I don't recall if that requirement was in place when I interviewed a couple of months ago. But we did discuss my recent flight experience at the interview and I talked about the things I had been doing to get current and proficient.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely don't have 30, I guess I'll need to get creative to make Horizon a possibility.

ASpilot2be
08-16-2018, 11:45 AM
I have heard our classes are currently full to the end of the year. Or close to it.

word302
08-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Look into Compass, or Skywest if they ever decide to pay up.

airborne840
08-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Compass hasnít called me yet, Iíve had my apps in for awhile now.Look into Compass, or Skywest if they ever decide to pay up.

Dill1104
08-18-2018, 09:18 AM
1. How long is the current reserve for each?
2. Once on a line, how much are pilots flying avg month?
3. Is it better to fly the Q and upgrade faster?
4. Pros/cons of Q and Jet?

Thanks

porkchopexpress
12-04-2018, 06:35 PM
This question has been posed before, but I was hoping to get the opinions of people who have interviewed recently, or otherwise know from experience. How much currency do I really need to get an interview with Horizon? Quick background, Iím a retired army aviator. Started in helicopters, but ended my career in the FW community. I have about 2000 FW time, all in King Airs and Citations, 850 TPIC (signed for the aircraft). The problem is that I havenít flown anything in 2 years.

Iím planning on applying this summer and in a recent email from a Horizon recruiter I was told not to apply until Iíd started flying again because I wouldnít get an interview, and that they like to see 100 hours in the last 12 months. The website says 60 in the last 6 months, I believe.

What would you guys do if you were me as far as flying again? Would 20-30 hours in a Cessna flying approaches get me an interview, or should I get my CFI and start teaching? Iíd love the experience of teaching, but Iím not crazy about dropping that much cash if I donít have to. GI Bill is an option, but not until next fall, and I donít want to wait that long to get started. Thanks for the help!