Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

HeH8Me
07-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Interesting thing yesterday in SEA...Didn't know we were giving water cannon salutes for Emirates crews retiring on their outbound leg...guess they don't give them in "Do-Bye"...must be the water shortage problem there...

badflaps
07-28-2018, 01:33 PM
I'll bet that guy can tell some stories.

jcountry
07-28-2018, 03:20 PM
I got a water cannon salute for them.

Comes in yellow.

detpilot
07-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Petty. They aren't scabs. Let the guy celebrate the end of his career.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

HeH8Me
07-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Let’s celebrate his career while he was trying to end mine

ShyGuy
07-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Letís celebrate his career while he was trying to end mine

Lets not get overly dramatic. Emirates hasn't cost any US pilot their job. On the other hand, that Emirates pilot (if an American) went to Emirates because his career ended here (post 9/11, 2008 recession).

NYC Pilot
07-28-2018, 09:34 PM

You dont exist in the big picture. Enjoy your "career". Why hate on a fellow pilot? If you knew what that Emirates pilot has seen in his career, you would envy his travels. Live n let live.

contrails
07-28-2018, 10:32 PM
You dont exist in the big picture. Enjoy your "career". Why hate on a fellow pilot? If you knew what that Emirates pilot has seen in his career, you would envy his travels. Live n let live.

I don't envy a bunch of 24-48 hour layovers wedged in between exhausting flights, in places I've spent weeks on my own time just getting lost.

NYC Pilot
07-28-2018, 11:19 PM
I don't envy a bunch of 24-48 hour layovers wedged in between exhausting flights, in places I've spent weeks on my own time just getting lost.

Yeah, I guess you prefer the reduced rest overnight in Buffalo over 48 hours in Paris. Wonder which is more exhausting:rolleyes: To each their own I guess.

Big E 757
07-28-2018, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I guess you prefer the reduced rest overnight in Buffalo over 48 hours in Paris. Wonder which is more exhausting:rolleyes: To each their own I guess.

Reduced rest hasn’t been a thing since part 117. And as much as I miss flying to Rome and some other European destinations, I wouldn’t want to fly 90-100 hours of International every month all over the world.

But I also agree, any American that is now finishing his career at Emirates isn’t the problem and I’m glad his last flight/trip was recognized. As Shyguy said, he was only there because his career ended here.

Also, a quick question, since some mentioned career killers....I’ve been going in and out of LA the last few days and there is Norse Shuttle and red nose call signs for similarly painted Norwegian 787’s. Which one is the bad Norwegian? I can’t even tell.

captjns
07-29-2018, 05:17 AM

Such the Drama Queen:(

Snuffaluffagus
07-29-2018, 05:20 AM

Loooooool. Don't see how it's effecting yours

jcountry
07-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Itís so cute that even folks who have been in this industry for many decades canít see the fact that the ME3 airlines are all operating in blatant violation of open skies.

The US seems to just sign treaties for others to violate.

Otterbox
07-29-2018, 06:15 AM
The US seems to just sign treaties for others to violate.

Welcome to US foreign policy 101...

jcountry
07-29-2018, 08:30 AM
Loooooool. Don't see how it's effecting yours

You are just not smart.

Seriously.

Some of these douches fly A380s on routes which average 50 pax. To say that level of subsidization doesnít affect our careers is just retarded.

OOfff
07-29-2018, 09:25 AM
You are just not smart.

Seriously.

Some of these douches fly A380s on routes which average 50 pax. To say that level of subsidization doesnít affect our careers is just retarded.

Got a source for that?

jcountry
07-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Got a source for that?

Good god.

Pick up a paper.

Iím not your tutor

OOfff
07-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Good god.

Pick up a paper.

Iím not your tutor

Sorry, Iíve never seen a newspaper article list flights by load factor. Which paper do you subscribe to?

intrepidcv11
07-29-2018, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I’ve never seen a newspaper article list flights by load factor. Which paper do you subscribe to?

I laboriously worked on my google machine and managed to extract this.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/airlines-by-average-load-factor/

OOfff
07-29-2018, 01:17 PM
I laboriously worked on my google machine and managed to extract this.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/airlines-by-average-load-factor/
Weirdly, that article doesnít list any routes that average 50 pax on an a380.

Omnivorous
08-03-2018, 04:53 AM
I'm sure ARFF will do a cannon salute for anyone willing to pay the bill.

ThePenguin328
08-03-2018, 09:02 AM
so was the water cannon salute after his arrival from DXB? If so, is he deadheading back to DXB or pulling a runner and not going back at all?

OOfff
08-03-2018, 09:35 AM
so was the water cannon salute after his arrival from DXB? If so, is he deadheading back to DXB or pulling a runner and not going back at all?read the first post in the thread. They were outbound

ThePenguin328
08-03-2018, 03:48 PM
read the first post in the thread. They were outbound

Yeah I get it, they were outbound from Dubai. Must have been A crew going to SEA and B crew on return to DXB, hence no landing in DXB. It's just still silly because it's technically not his last flight, unless he plans on not going back to DXB lol

hilltopflyer
08-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Yeah I get it, they were outbound from Dubai. Must have been A crew going to SEA and B crew on return to DXB, hence no landing in DXB. It's just still silly because it's technically not his last flight, unless he plans on not going back to DXB lol

Did it while he was leaving. Seen that multiple times on departure.

GogglesPisano
08-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Give the guy a break. Heís retiring from Emirates. Probably had a 10hr layover and a 120hr month.

Excargodog
08-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Give the guy a break. Heís retiring from Emirates. Probably had a 10hr layover and a 120hr month.

^^^^This^^^^

It is difficult to believe so many people seem to be so petty about this.

PotatoChip
08-03-2018, 06:46 PM
I say blue skies and a deserved water cannon salute!!

OOfff
08-03-2018, 07:18 PM
They were outbound from SEA to dubai

NYC Pilot
08-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Last I checked, its a 48 hour layover in Seattle for the EK guys. Dont you fly the 717? I would expect 10 hour layovers on those;)

GogglesPisano
08-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Last I checked, its a 48 hour layover in Seattle for the EK guys. Dont you fly the 717? I would expect 10 hour layovers on those;)

I'll verify with the ex-Emirates 777 guy I flew with 2 years ago in the 717 (I believe he's a CA now.) He was as happy as a clam.

m3113n1a1
08-04-2018, 10:49 AM
This thread just proves what a bunch of petty little ignorant babies most pilots are.

Congrats to the captain on his retirement!

Fleet Warp
08-04-2018, 11:03 AM
This thread just proves what a bunch of petty little ignorant babies some people, including some pilots are.

FTFY, and your post was petty, arrogant and useless.

m3113n1a1
08-04-2018, 11:24 AM
FTFY, and your post was petty, arrogant and useless.

You're right, I fell into the trap myself! :eek:

SpeedyVagabond
08-04-2018, 02:11 PM
This thread just proves what a bunch of petty little ignorant babies most pilots are.

Amen. And with that, Iím retiring from this hate filled, judgemental, petty forum. Iíll see you all out on the line. Iíll be the one saying hello, not looking away, when we pass in the terminal and the guy with a smile on his face as he welcomes you to the jumpseat. Fly safe everyone.

NYC Pilot
08-05-2018, 08:07 AM
I'll verify with the ex-Emirates 777 guy I flew with 2 years ago in the 717 (I believe he's a CA now.) He was as happy as a clam.

Its funny that you will "verify" when in fact its you thats throwing out BS information like Emirates having a 10 hour layover after a ULR flight to Seattle. You dont even know the basic rules, if you did you wouldnt throw out such nonsense. The world does not revolve around the company you fly for, only your world does.

GogglesPisano
08-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Its funny that you will "verify" when in fact its you thats throwing out BS information like Emirates having a 10 hour layover after a ULR flight to Seattle. You dont even know the basic rules, if you did you wouldnt throw out such nonsense. The world does not revolve around the company you fly for, only your world does.

Chill bra, it's all good. I'm sure Emirates is an awesome place to work.

Laker24
08-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Having been on both sides of the equation I can say EK is many times more interesting/fun than a US legacy but itís challenging and exhausting work. Not suitable for a long career. At the big 3 you can relax, pick your schedule, be free from mgt pressure, and slowly go brain dead...pick your poison.

NYC Pilot
08-05-2018, 04:42 PM

I dont work for Emirates so I can care less. I was only correcting you on the layover time. Enjoy your travels and I will enjoy mine.

NEDude
08-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Also, a quick question, since some mentioned career killers....I’ve been going in and out of LA the last few days and there is Norse Shuttle and red nose call signs for similarly painted Norwegian 787’s. Which one is the bad Norwegian? I can’t even tell.

"Norshuttle"= Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS), AOC based in Norway. 787 flights to/from Europe, excluding UK, as well as domestic European 737 flights.

"Rednose" = Norwegian Air UK (NUK), AOC based in United Kingdom. 787 flights to/from London-Gatwick.

"Nortrans" = Norwegian Air International (NAI), AOC based in Ireland. 737Max flights to/from North America and domestic European 737 flights.

OOfff
08-06-2018, 10:16 AM
"Norshuttle"= Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS), AOC based in Norway. 787 flights to/from Europe, excluding UK, as well as domestic European 737 flights.

"Rednose" = Norwegian Air UK (NUK), AOC based in United Kingdom. 787 flights to/from London-Gatwick.

"Nortrans" = Norwegian Air International (NAI), AOC based in Ireland. 737Max flights to/from North America and domestic European 737 flights.which ones am I supposed to hate?

cal73
08-06-2018, 01:02 PM
which ones am I supposed to hate?

The one that serves lutefisk crew meals. You'll be able to smell it.:D

captjns
08-06-2018, 02:16 PM
which ones am I supposed to hate?

The one that Big E 757 thinks is going to ruin his career this week:rolleyes:.

Big E 757
08-08-2018, 09:41 PM
The one that Big E 757 thinks is going to ruin his career this week:rolleyes:.

Awww, come on now. I didnít say I was worried about them. I just donít know which is the one trying to pull off the whole flag of convenience shenanigans. Turns out neither of the call signs I heard was NAI.

If you live and work for the North American aviation industry, which I donít think you do, you canít think the playing field is exactly level when an airline like Emirates, Etihad, Qatari, and now NAI etc. etc. can fly to any US city they want, and all the U.S. airlines get in return, is the option to fly to the one city those airlines fly from to compete with them. Do you? You think that was the intent of the open skies agreement with the EU or Asia?

Iím not too worried about my future, but Iím also sure the playing field will also start slanting towards the lowest bidder. But itís always been that way. I just feel sorry for everyone just getting hired now, if some people arenít willing to call a spade a spade, itís going to continue to get worse. Enjoy flying upside down.

NYC Pilot
08-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Awww, come on now. I didnít say I was worried about them. I just donít know which is the one trying to pull off the whole flag of convenience shenanigans. Turns out neither of the call signs I heard was NAI.

If you live and work for the North American aviation industry, which I donít think you do, you canít think the playing field is exactly level when an airline like Emirates, Etihad, Qatari, and now NAI etc. etc. can fly to any US city they want, and all the U.S. airlines get in return, is the option to fly to the one city those airlines fly from to compete with them. Do you? You think that was the intent of the open skies agreement with the EU or Asia?

Iím not too worried about my future, but Iím also sure the playing field will also start slanting towards the lowest bidder. But itís always been that way. I just feel sorry for everyone just getting hired now, if some people arenít willing to call a spade a spade, itís going to continue to get worse. Enjoy flying upside down.

What about British Airways, Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, Turkish, Singapore and the list goes on.. All these carriers fly to multiple U.S cities on a daily basis. I guess only U.S carriers should be allowed to fly right? Ban all foreign carriers from operating into America. Its never going to happen and this is nothing new. Foreign airlines have been operating in the United States forever, the only reason why the ME3 catches everyones attention is because they are famous for their superior customer service and product. Ofcourse that creates haters.

ThePenguin328
08-09-2018, 12:01 PM
What about British Airways, Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, Turkish, Singapore and the list goes on.. All these carriers fly to multiple U.S cities on a daily basis. I guess only U.S carriers should be allowed to fly right? Ban all foreign carriers from operating into America. Its never going to happen and this is nothing new. Foreign airlines have been operating in the United States forever, the only reason why the ME3 catches everyones attention is because they are famous for their superior customer service and product. Ofcourse that creates haters.

Yep, EK is perfect....
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2018/07/disabled-teenager-kicked-off-emirates-flight-after-visiting-family-in-new-zealand.html

Sorry NYC. I flew on EK and EY too much to believe the hype anymore. Just a bunch of fancy uniforms filled by temp workers that have no stake in the airline and will quit after a few years when they get burned out on night turns to India. Last few EK flights I took were an embarrassment.....crew were rude, meals trays left for hours not picked up and eventually passengers threw them on the floor, disgusting lavs, and no warnings from the flight deck before deviating around TS cells with Mod turb.

NYC Pilot
08-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Yep, EK is perfect....
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2018/07/disabled-teenager-kicked-off-emirates-flight-after-visiting-family-in-new-zealand.html

Sorry NYC. I flew on EK and EY too much to believe the hype anymore. Just a bunch of fancy uniforms filled by temp workers that have no stake in the airline and will quit after a few years when they get burned out on night turns to India. Last few EK flights I took were an embarrassment.....crew were rude, meals trays left for hours not picked up and eventually passengers threw them on the floor, disgusting lavs, and no warnings from the flight deck before deviating around TS cells with Mod turb.

I guess EK and EY have lost their charm, its too bad for them. I can testify that Qatar and Singapore have amazing service. I mean excellent service, clean airplanes and great food.

NEDude
08-10-2018, 01:09 AM
If you live and work for the North American aviation industry, which I don’t think you do, you can’t think the playing field is exactly level when an airline like Emirates, Etihad, Qatari, and now NAI etc. etc. can fly to any US city they want, and all the U.S. airlines get in return, is the option to fly to the one city those airlines fly from to compete with them. Do you? You think that was the intent of the open skies agreement with the EU or Asia?

Actually that was exactly the intent of the Open Skies Agreement with the E.U. as it treats the E.U. (and European Community) as one market, just like it treats the United States as one market.

For your reading enjoyment:
https://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/e/eu/114768.htm

sflpilot
08-11-2018, 10:08 AM
At the time when these guys got furloughed they didnít have many good options. It was basically go to a regional and make $18,000/yr and lose everything you have or go to the ME3.

Broncofan
08-13-2018, 04:12 AM

The difference is when their government owns a majority stake in the company. The image of the airline reflects the image of their country. Therefore image means more than profit and the government will just throw more cash at it. That's the part that is unfair. Singapore airlines is guilty of it too. State owns up to 40%, not sure why that's not mentioned more.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1