Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Paying to finish up hours?

dodsqubam
07-29-2018, 10:20 AM
I heard a rumor Republic might have a program where they pay for you to get your last couple hundred hours or so. Iíve also heard a similar rumor about Silver Airways. Does anyone know anything more about this?

zanfarroway
07-29-2018, 11:43 AM
I heard a rumor Republic might have a program where they pay for you to get your last couple hundred hours or so. I’ve also heard a similar rumor about Silver Airways. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Only if you are within 100hr of your ATP/R-ATP mins. And it comes out of your sign-on bonus. Simply put, they pay for your hours with your own money. Good alternative if you don't have a job that gives you hours and you don't have enough cash at hand.

TheWeatherman
07-29-2018, 04:07 PM
If it seems too good to be true.......

dera
07-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Only if you are within 100hr of your ATP/R-ATP mins. And it comes out of your sign-on bonus. Simply put, they pay for your hours with your own money. Good alternative if you don't have a job that gives you hours and you don't have enough cash at hand.

It comes out from the tail end of your signing bonus. So your initial cashflow remains unchanged.

knewyork
07-30-2018, 03:38 AM
Itís a good option for someone who doesnít have access to multi time. I had friends who flew single engines at flight schools and charter but had no way of getting multi time. Itís not like you can always easily find someone who will let you log time flying their twin engine for 50 hours with low time. My friends started with like 5-8 hours multi and finished the week with the required 30 or whatever it is.

StartUp161WanaB
07-30-2018, 04:51 AM
If it seems too good to be true.......

Ohh itís sooo true
One of my coworkers is building his last 60 hours of XC. He uploads his receipts to his republic account and they subtract that from the sign on bonus.

colonials13
07-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Several fellow instructors at my school have done/are doing this. Mostly XC time.

TheWeatherman
07-30-2018, 02:13 PM
Ohh itís sooo true
One of my coworkers is building his last 60 hours of XC. He uploads his receipts to his republic account and they subtract that from the sign on bonus.
Yep, that is the true part. In other words, you are paying for your own time. You are just getting an interest free loan so to speak. The OP was under the impression that the company would pay for it out of their own pocket. Like "Hey, we are so desperate for pilots we will pay for your last 100 hours to get you here quicker!"

dodsqubam
08-01-2018, 03:59 AM
Well at least the rumor mill was somewhat accurate this time. I actually heard this from a Republic CA, so I knew there had to be some truth there, but he didnít know the details. In my situation, Iíd rather just flight instruct for the last 100 hours and get paid for it (instead of having to pay for flight time). I could see this as being a good option for someone who hasnít hit one or more of the ATP minimum criteria like the night flying, cross country, multi engine, instrument, etc. Even with my CFI employee discount, 100 would eat up a big chunk of that bonus. More steep turns and slow flight it is!

DiveAndDrive
08-01-2018, 05:17 AM
Do we know for a fact it comes off the tail end of the bonus? I took roughly half of my bonus for ME time building. If I still get the 7500 chunk after IOE, that would be fantabulous.

dera
08-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Do we know for a fact it comes off the tail end of the bonus? I took roughly half of my bonus for ME time building. If I still get the 7500 chunk after IOE, that would be fantabulous.

Yep, that's what they told us today at our interview.

TheNotoriousPIC
08-01-2018, 09:43 PM
That is awesome!

Macchi30
08-17-2018, 12:56 PM
ďFTI participants receive an ďall-inclusiveĒ package that includes lodging, food, aircraft rental, transportation costs as well as a personalized flight schedule designed to meet your individual requirements for night-time, cross-country and multi-engine hours.Ē

Can someone with knowledge explain this for me? So, republic send you somewhere to do the FTI? Where do you go?

TangoIndiaMike1
08-18-2018, 03:58 AM
ďFTI participants receive an ďall-inclusiveĒ package that includes lodging, food, aircraft rental, transportation costs as well as a personalized flight schedule designed to meet your individual requirements for night-time, cross-country and multi-engine hours.Ē

Can someone with knowledge explain this for me? So, republic send you somewhere to do the FTI? Where do you go?

Yes they will send you somewhere. Unless you only need like 5 hours then they can approve a differ flight school thatís local.
The location of the main FTI is classified info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiveAndDrive
08-18-2018, 06:35 AM
I needed 30 some hours of ME time. They just cut a check to the local flight school, and I did it over a weekend.

Macchi30
08-19-2018, 02:31 PM
I needed 30 some hours of ME time. They just cut a check to the local flight school, and I did it over a weekend.

Oh thatís actually pretty good. Iíll only need 25 ME

kls81
08-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Did you go to your local flight school and get a total amount for your remaining multi time and then tell Republic what that amount was and they cut you a check?

DiveAndDrive
08-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Correct. I was told I needed 44 hours ME to report to class. I had like 12. I called the local flight school. They quoted me like 8480 for the remaining time. Republic just sent a check directly to the local school for 8500. All I had to do was negotiate the rate with the school, send that price to RPA, and then sign a promissory note for the amount requested. The flight school had the check like 4 days later.

One thing to note. It could be because of the logistics of the FTI, or it could just be the flight school's policy. But there was no way for the flight school to "cash out" the account. Why do I mention this? I rented the aircraft wet, with a fuel reimbursement if fuel was purchased away from the flight school. The flight school would have reimbursed whatever I spent, but that money would have went back on to my account with them. Since there was no way to cash the account out, any fuel purchases I made would have essentially been thrown away money. Granted, I could have used that money to get a few more ticks of ME time, but I was trying to spend as little money out of pocket as possible. I ended up flying 2 hour out and backs until my time was finished. Doing this, I was able to do my time quickly, not spend 33 hours in the traffic pattern, and I never had to buy fuel outside of the flight school. I did it over the course of a long weekend. I ended up paying like 60 bucks out of pocket just to cover the cost of the rental check out (rented from an airport different than where I got my ME rating). Other than that, it was all covered!

kls81
08-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Correct. I was told I needed 44 hours ME to report to class. I had like 12. I called the local flight school. They quoted me like 8480 for the remaining time. Republic just sent a check directly to the local school for 8500. All I had to do was negotiate the rate with the school, send that price to RPA, and then sign a promissory note for the amount requested. The flight school had the check like 4 days later.

One thing to note. It could be because of the logistics of the FTI, or it could just be the flight school's policy. But there was no way for the flight school to "cash out" the account. Why do I mention this? I rented the aircraft wet, with a fuel reimbursement if fuel was purchased away from the flight school. The flight school would have reimbursed whatever I spent, but that money would have went back on to my account with them. Since there was no way to cash the account out, any fuel purchases I made would have essentially been thrown away money. Granted, I could have used that money to get a few more ticks of ME time, but I was trying to spend as little money out of pocket as possible. I ended up flying 2 hour out and backs until my time was finished. Doing this, I was able to do my time quickly, not spend 33 hours in the traffic pattern, and I never had to buy fuel outside of the flight school. I did it over the course of a long weekend. I ended up paying like 60 bucks out of pocket just to cover the cost of the rental check out (rented from an airport different than where I got my ME rating). Other than that, it was all covered!

Sounds like it worked out well. Thanks

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1