Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Skywest ATP-CTP Course & Training

BLURCEO
08-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Was digging in the archives and couldn't really find anything on the Skywest ATP-CTP course. As well as any updated training information for the CRJ. So,

1. Does the CTP course look like everyone else's or is it different because it is in-house?

2. Do they have delays in sim sessions between systems and sim?

3. Know they are double occupancy hotel in training. Does anyone know what hotel they usually put everyone up on?

4. Any other actual advice that is not bashing the company or how they do not pay the pilots enough etc, etc, etc.

hawk21
08-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Was digging in the archives and couldn't really find anything on the Skywest ATP-CTP course. As well as any updated training information for the CRJ. So,

1. Does the CTP course look like everyone else's or is it different because it is in-house?

3. Know they are double occupancy hotel in training. Does anyone know what hotel they usually put everyone up on?

4. Any other actual advice that is not bashing the company or how they do not pay the pilots enough etc, etc, etc.

1. It's probably pretty standard. You will start learning the "SkyWest Way" with some basic flows and call outs during CTP Sims.

2. It depends on what you bid for. I purposely bid for a week break. Some people wanted to start the next day.

3. Depends on where you are. In SLC it's usually the Candlewood (Scandalwood, Candlehood) or the Comfort Suites. Denver is a Holiday Inn Express or another hotel down on the same road.

4. Get to know your classmates well. Come prepared with your limitations memorized. I guess they've tweaked how they do the EP&L test since I've gone through. We had to write it out word for word verbatim.

BLURCEO
08-01-2018, 04:56 PM
1. It's probably pretty standard. You will start learning the "SkyWest Way" with some basic flows and call outs during CTP Sims.

2. It depends on what you bid for. I purposely bid for a week break. Some people wanted to start the next day.

3. Depends on where you are. In SLC it's usually the Candlewood (Scandalwood, Candlehood) or the Comfort Suites. Denver is a Holiday Inn Express or another hotel down on the same road.

4. Get to know your classmates well. Come prepared with your limitations memorized. I guess they've tweaked how they do the EP&L test since I've gone through. We had to write it out word for word verbatim.

Thanks for the info. And forgive my
Ignorance. But what is the EP&L test?

futurav8r
08-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info. And forgive my
Ignorance. But what is the EP&L test?
Emergency Procedures & Limitations.

Ace66
08-01-2018, 07:46 PM
No need to memorize the EP&L until the oral (KV) for your LOE. The EP&L written test was tossed years ago.

Breaks between systems and sims varied between 2 days and 3 weeks.

Show up to maneuvers with your call-outs down pat. My partner didn't even look at them when he showed up. Sim training quickly became the worst 2 weeks of my life....

Pick your partner over your schedule and pick the time of day schedule over the break schedule. Pray you get a good instructor.

MinFlyer
08-04-2018, 08:57 AM
What do you do if you bid for and receive a 3 week break between systems and sims? ie can you travel or go home?

zondaracer
08-04-2018, 09:42 AM
What do you do if you bid for and receive a 3 week break between systems and sims? ie can you travel or go home?

I had a two week break and spent the whole time in Europe.

jpso
08-04-2018, 05:04 PM
I just recently went through training with SkyWest in SLC. They've totally revamped the CRJ side of training. I came here with prior 121 so I don't have a clue about their CTP course. Currently, there is no delay from system to sims and no delay during sim training. They're utilizing both SLC/ATL for CRJ sim training facilities. Expect double occupancy in all portions of training and hope you're one of the lucky ones to get single occupancy. SKW is using the candlewood in SLC and the drury inn in ATL.

Actual advice: It's good training. They want you to pass and they really do give you all the resources to pass. Their new training program is focused on FOM/SOPM. There really is no systems class or systems exam. Your ground validation exam will be focused on FOM/SOPM/limitations. The exams are computer based and randomly pull questions from a question bank. After ground school you will head off to the simulator where you're expected to know your procedures, profiles, flows and call outs from day 1. Send me a pm if you have any other questions.

Just wanted to add; currently pilots were awarded MSP, DTW, IAH, ATL, FAT, ORD as domiciles while still in training.

Ace66
08-09-2018, 12:47 PM
I just recently went through training with SkyWest in SLC. They've totally revamped the CRJ side of training.

Disregard what I said then - things have changed since I went through!

Finch
08-13-2018, 11:19 AM
JPSO - If I take a 10/17 class start date, what should the training timeline look like? The recruiters mentioned that some of the training was computer based...do you do that from home? Thanks!

ColleenTara76
08-14-2018, 03:24 PM
JPSO - If I take a 10/17 class start date, what should the training timeline look like? The recruiters mentioned that some of the training was computer based...do you do that from home? Thanks!

I have the same question...Is CBT training for the ERJ done at home or at the training center?

Thanks!

jpso
08-14-2018, 03:46 PM
I have the same question...Is CBT training for the ERJ done at home or at the training center?

Thanks!

They gave us 4 days to complete about 40 hours worth of CBTs. Most stayed in SLC. You will likely have access to your Delta benefits at this point but you will not receive your crew ID/KCM access until just prior to sims; getting home may be challenging.

NorCal Dude
08-14-2018, 06:11 PM
I am in SLC currently attending with the thread originator. Thought I would update this for those that follow. CTP ATP class is excellent so far. 23 in our class and all but one are CRJ bound. The jet sim portion of this course is generic according to the FAA but it will be nice to have some pre-CRJ Qual time in the CRJ Sim under what will be a low (er) stress environment. SkyWest is footing the bill for this ATP producing course so most are grateful for that. Our class will have about half head to Denver for the sim and to take the ATP Written (can't take the written till the sim is done) while the other half stays here in SLC to do the same. Everyone in class is using Shepherd Air. Some had started before they got here others just downloaded it but the consensus is that Shepherd Air is the way to go. If one wanted to prep before they got here they could geek out like I did and watch all the CRJ videos on the Aviaiton Knowledge Youtube channel but you would probably be better off starting the Shepherd Air course and saving some for here as you don't want to peak too soon (or study they wrong stuff - they update it all the time).

Good luck -

MinFlyer
01-06-2019, 05:48 PM
How did everyone do on the ATP exam? Any follow up advice?

Flying Spike
01-06-2019, 09:27 PM
How did everyone do on the ATP exam? Any follow up advice?

Sheps Sheps Sheps.......

Claxstarr
01-08-2019, 06:26 AM
I am in SLC currently attending with the thread originator. Thought I would update this for those that follow. CTP ATP class is excellent so far. 23 in our class and all but one are CRJ bound. The jet sim portion of this course is generic according to the FAA but it will be nice to have some pre-CRJ Qual time in the CRJ Sim under what will be a low (er) stress environment. SkyWest is footing the bill for this ATP producing course so most are grateful for that. Our class will have about half head to Denver for the sim and to take the ATP Written (can't take the written till the sim is done) while the other half stays here in SLC to do the same. Everyone in class is using Shepherd Air. Some had started before they got here others just downloaded it but the consensus is that Shepherd Air is the way to go. If one wanted to prep before they got here they could geek out like I did and watch all the CRJ videos on the Aviaiton Knowledge Youtube channel but you would probably be better off starting the Shepherd Air course and saving some for here as you don't want to peak too soon (or study they wrong stuff - they update it all the time).

Good luck -

Really? So don't start studying the shep ATP stuff early?
I wasn't expecting that...

RickRoss
01-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Its been two years since my ATP written and CTP course, so things may have changed. Id start well in advance with Sheppard Air, by the time you're done with CTP you should be ready to take the ATP test basically the next day. It will be one less thing to worry about.Really? So don't start studying the shep ATP stuff early?
I wasn't expecting that...

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1