Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

WhiskyWhisky
08-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Anyone in current classes post how bases were assigned in most recent classes. Thanks.

diverdriver2
08-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Anyone in current classes post how bases were assigned in most recent classes. Thanks.

The latest vacancy/realignment won't close until August 9th. They will then have a week to publish the results.

Day4mx
08-01-2018, 05:31 PM
The latest vacancy/realignment won't close until August 9th. They will then have a week to publish the results.

After multiple errors and retractions itll be 3 weeks.

WhiskyWhisky
08-16-2018, 01:19 PM
True at all new hires in latest class went to CAE? Still wondering what my chances of getting MKE or ORD are? CAE movement might be a deal breaker. Yikes.

Cessnaflyer1213
08-18-2018, 04:07 AM
True at all new hires in latest class went to CAE? Still wondering what my chances of getting MKE or ORD are? CAE movement might be a deal breaker. Yikes.

ORD is now greater than 6 months for FO and possibly greater than 5 years for CA now. CAE is going to be the first choice out of school followed by MKE. You may initially get assigned CAE in school, but if you make MKE your top pick you could be assigned there in 1-2 months afterward. By the time you are done with training, you will never have set physical feet in CAE. But .... someone has to go there. At least for a while. Good luck!

JrManned
08-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Everyone in the last few classes got displaced to CAE. Very few want CAE because of the two leg commute for most and only two direct flights from ORD and IAD each. Most pilots are going to bid out of CAE asap so I figure most new hires will be assigned CAE for the foreseeable future. Time will tell.

lukeh99
08-18-2018, 06:19 PM
After multiple errors and retractions itll be 3 weeks.

Wow you totally called it. Not.

WhiskyWhisky
08-31-2018, 11:05 AM
Any updates on recent class (and post IOE) assignments? All movement still into CAE?

tm602
08-31-2018, 11:11 AM
Sooo...what are the odds of CAE for newhires?

pitchtrim
08-31-2018, 11:24 AM
Sooo...what are the odds of CAE for newhires?

Extremely high.

Voski
09-03-2018, 05:17 AM
I was seriously considering Air Wisconsin until CAE became a reality. I was looking forward to driving to MKE until I could hold ORD. So much for that. :rolleyes:

pitchtrim
09-03-2018, 11:38 AM
I was seriously considering Air Wisconsin until CAE became a reality. I was looking forward to driving to MKE until I could hold ORD. So much for that. :rolleyes:

Just couldn't wait it out a few months huh? The struggle.

SuperFlier
09-03-2018, 12:46 PM

If your goal is MKE and you can drive to work there, AW makes all the sense in the world for you. But if you need ORD for commuting, then yes there may be better options.

RAHkid94
09-03-2018, 07:10 PM

No guarantee itís ďjust a few monthsĒ. Ask all the people that were ďnever going to sit reserve in ORDĒ how well things worked out when MKE opened. Plus the new reality of indefinitely commuting to CAE in order to upgrade. Thereís no reason for MKE/ORD folks to come here when theyíre going to get exiled to CAE for god knows how long. Maybe they get lucky and hold MKE out of training, maybe they donít and are now stuck commuting to a base with terrible airline service, no crashpads, expensive hotels, and likely uncommutable schedules.

ZenoAir
09-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Not to mention we are 8+ years into contract talks WE are 110% ready to strike! We just need a union to start doing its job. Most of us don't give 2 sh##s about this place. This place does not give 2 Shi#s about us also!
WHY waste your time here?

StrykerB21
09-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Not to mention we are 8+ years into contract talks WE are 110% ready to strike! We just need a union to start doing its job. Most of us don't give 2 sh##s about this place. This place does not give 2 Shi#s about us also!
WHY waste your time here?

Hate to burst your bubble but if Frontier can't get released no one will.

stroopwaffle
09-05-2018, 06:24 AM
With only 51% voting no, I donít think we will be striking anytime soon. You can blame that on the retention bonuses the pilot group never voted on, and the 49% that voted YES.

Our FAís on the other hand are a few months away from a strike.

pitchtrim
09-05-2018, 10:06 AM
With only 51% voting no, I donít think we will be striking anytime soon. You can blame that on the retention bonuses the pilot group never voted on, and the 49% that voted YES.

Our FAís on the other hand are a few months away from a strike.

Exactly. 2 votes shy of yes isn't going to cause a strike.

Grumbletrousers
09-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but if Frontier can't get released no one will.

Exactly this

ZenoAir
09-05-2018, 04:42 PM
I agree we are no where near a strike, and it would probably never happen. Just hoping for a little rally cry from union, maybe we could unite and do something? Lets not sit back and do what we have for years, which is NOTHING. So the point is...if you want NOTHING come here as a new hire. Express Jet will be getting E175 and this place gets nothing! We might have 4 years left on our CRJ-200 flying.

Av8tor8710
09-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Anyone have a guess as to how long CAE will be junior?

RabidW0mbat
09-06-2018, 06:37 AM
Anyone have a guess as to how long CAE will be junior?

For the foreseeable future. But, same happened with MKE, it started junior and people complained, but now locals are coming because of it... Iím in class right now, and out of my group about 70% want MKE. We have about 50 new hires behind us, so the feeling is as long as hiring keeps up, youíll have enough behind you to get out of CAE relatively quickly. Seniority is everything, if youíre on the fence, just remember the longer you wait the lower your # becomes.

Good luck with your decision, I also had to choose between AWA and Republic.

Av8tor8710
09-06-2018, 07:59 AM
For the foreseeable future. But, same happened with MKE, it started junior and people complained, but now locals are coming because of it... Iím in class right now, and out of my group about 70% want MKE. We have about 50 new hires behind us, so the feeling is as long as hiring keeps up, youíll have enough behind you to get out of CAE relatively quickly. Seniority is everything, if youíre on the fence, just remember the longer you wait the lower your # becomes.

Good luck with your decision, I also had to choose between AWA and Republic.

Iím in CHS currently so being based at CAE is preferable. Also, on the fence between Air Wisconsin and Republic. Appreciate the response, good luck in class/blue skies!

joefly
09-06-2018, 08:12 AM
What made you choose AWA over republic? Iím also on fence between AWA and republic. I live PHL, so obviously would have to commute or possibly move to base if I went with AWA, but seems to have a great pilot group. Republic has good bases and looks like itís going to be growing. I canít say I see AWA growing and has 4 years left on contract.

tm602
09-07-2018, 12:10 PM
So let's play a guessing game. A guy with an ATP, prior 121 time including 650 TPIC and several type ratings can be a PIC in CAE in how long?

StrykerB21
09-07-2018, 12:47 PM
So let's play a guessing game. A guy with an ATP, prior 121 time including 650 TPIC and several type ratings can be a PIC in CAE in how long?

My guess would be very quickly. Just playing the guessing game, individual experiences may vary.

Jetsurfer2010
09-07-2018, 05:26 PM
What made you choose AWA over republic? Iím also on fence between AWA and republic. I live PHL, so obviously would have to commute or possibly move to base if I went with AWA, but seems to have a great pilot group. Republic has good bases and looks like itís going to be growing. I canít say I see AWA growing and has 4 years left on contract.

Just left AWAC for a major after 8 years. I loved awac in the beginning but the last few years were extremely rough there. I also live in Philly but the commute to ORD wasn't bad (although commuting sucks). However, you'll get MKE or CAE for a base which will suck horribly for a commuter. Your commute will suck, your QOL will suck, and you will regret going there, sadly. The only thing they have going for themselves now are the people you'd work with.

Do yourself a favor and go to Republic.

RabidW0mbat
09-08-2018, 04:57 AM
I found listening to pilots on the internet give people advice regarding career progression is usually worth about what you paid for it. Everyone has their own reason for choosing regional a over regional b. Remember current Air Wisconsin pilots who lived through the uncertainty of the last 3 or 4 years went through hell, so I donít blame them for being bitter. Again, Iím still only in training, so my view is extremely limited, but while AWA has its issues (and it has them) it also has its positives. A smaller pilot group means everyone knows everyone, versus becoming an employee ID number at a larger 2000 pilot plus shop, I think thatís worth something. Donít take rumors of this or that until itís reality, weigh your options versus your priorities, then make a decision you can live with. Realize that plenty will tell you itís the ďwrongĒ decision. Thatís just how it goes.

RAHkid94
09-08-2018, 08:37 AM
I found listening to pilots on the internet give people advice regarding career progression is usually worth about what you paid for it. Everyone has their own reason for choosing regional a over regional b. Remember current Air Wisconsin pilots who lived through the uncertainty of the last 3 or 4 years went through hell, so I donít blame them for being bitter. Again, Iím still only in training, so my view is extremely limited, but while AWA has its issues (and it has them) it also has its positives. A smaller pilot group means everyone knows everyone, versus becoming an employee ID number at a larger 2000 pilot plus shop, I think thatís worth something. Donít take rumors of this or that until itís reality, weigh your options versus your priorities, then make a decision you can live with. Realize that plenty will tell you itís the ďwrongĒ decision. Thatís just how it goes.

Youíll look back on this post after your 8th junior man and laugh. If you canít live with being in CAE indefinitely coming here is the wrong choice. Upgrade times may be low but youíll be stuck in CAE indefinitely as more senior FOís upgrade into ORD and MKE. Being a ďsmall pilot group where everyone knows each otherĒ is a very small part of overall QOL. We definitely have some of the best crews in the industry but that doesnít mean much when youíre home half as much as a RAH/SKW/EV pilot making the same amount of money.

Jetsurfer2010
09-08-2018, 09:10 AM

I very sincerely hope you're happy with awac. Lots of great people and some amazing chief pilots. I think overall the company cares about their employees and tries to treat them good. If you have a legit problem the company will work with you which was great. However, their issues of being severely understaffed were self imposed and their problems will become your problems. I flew with many new hire FOs with great personalities that regret their decision coming there. Too much smoke and mirrors and then when they got a taste of what their QOL is really like after training they had regrets.

If you live in base and dont mind working a lot (and making decent money) then I'm sure awac will be a great fit for you.

I was a pilot recruiter but when things got ugly I refused. I couldn't in good faith recruit people to come to a company that I wanted out of.

WhiskyWhisky
09-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Clearly, there are a lot of bitter folks out there. Chips on their shoulder's after going through the AWAC East Coast US Airways drops and migration to the new United Contract/Domiciles.

I live in Kenosha, 45 min drive to MKE or ORD. Perfect not just for AWAC, but many airlines ops.
CAE may be inevitable out of training (or maybe not), but at the rate things are moving, you could be there 30 days before getting MKE or ORD. Not "stuck in CAE indefinitely" as Mr. doom and gloom makes it sound.

pitchtrim
09-08-2018, 07:42 PM
I myself am getting displaced out of Ord, and sure it bites big. I also see movement and lots of new hires so this is a temporary pita while Cae opens and things stabilize. Back in the day I got stuck in Orf for several months and that was no fun either. If you live in Cae or Mke/Ord area you shouldn't be that worried.

RabidW0mbat
09-08-2018, 09:30 PM
I myself am getting displaced out of Ord, and sure it bites big. I also see movement and lots of new hires so this is a temporary pita while Cae opens and things stabilize. Back in the day I got stuck in Orf for several months and that was no fun either. If you live in Cae or Mke/Ord area you shouldn't be that worried.

This is my point...sure things suck getting displaced, no one disagrees. But there are over 50 people behind me, and Iím only in systems. If you come to an airline for a ďguaranteedĒ base youíre kidding yourself...the industry will spit you out if you think anything is guaranteed. (Not you pitchtrim, the colloquial you).
I feel like thereís a lot of growth potential at AWA, just get through the first few rough months in a base you donít want first.

RJ4LIFE
09-11-2018, 06:12 PM
At this point Air Wisconsin is probably the best fit for ambitious pilots who are at a flexible enough point in their lives to move within driving distance of CAE or MKE and work their tails off for a couple years and move on.

If I were a young 20-something pilot I'd be all over CAE. It's a fun college town and the seniority progression and moneymaking potential are fantastic. And being one of the few pilots who lives in a base is a huge asset because you don't care about commutability when bidding so you tend to get weekends and holidays off faster. If you're willing to move for a few years it could really be a sweet deal.

Macchi30
10-01-2018, 12:59 PM
how difficult is it to get an IAD slot early on with Air Wisconsin?

SuperFlier
10-01-2018, 01:27 PM
how difficult is it to get an IAD slot early on with Air Wisconsin?

It's going to be at least a year at present before you will be able to hold a reserve spot in IAD. Even ORD is taking longer, looking like 8-9 months before holding reserve there. For some reason they are putting a ton of reserve FOs in MKE and pooling them there.

WhiskyWhisky
10-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Anyone know when the next permanent bid is expected to open up?

SuperFlier
10-07-2018, 04:46 PM
Anyone know when the next permanent bid is expected to open up?

Looks like the next bid closes on the 14th.

stroopwaffle
10-09-2018, 06:40 AM
Looks like the next bid closes on the 14th.

What is the minimum time allowed for a vacancy to have been published before the window closes? The 14th at midnight only gives 6 days, including today, if they published it right now. I thought they needed at least 7?

Sometimes you will see a random vacancy bid closure on FLICA that means nothing.

StrykerB21
10-09-2018, 06:42 AM
What is the minimum time allowed for a vacancy to have been published before the window closes? The 14th at midnight only gives 6 days, including today, if they published it right now. I thought they needed at least 7?

Sometimes you will see a random vacancy bid closure on FLICA that means nothing.

I think thats whats happening, just a meaningless random deadline on flica.

SuperFlier
10-09-2018, 04:52 PM
I think thats whats happening, just a meaningless random deadline on flica.

That is very possible!

RabidW0mbat
10-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Are the permanent bid awards only posted to Flica or will they get posted to CSS as well? I havenít gotten around to paying the 10 bucks a month since Iím still waiting on sims (week 4 now) but just curious to see my name in CAE...lol

DarkSideMoon
10-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Are the permanent bid awards only posted to Flica or will they get posted to CSS as well? I havenít gotten around to paying the 10 bucks a month since Iím still waiting on sims (week 4 now) but just curious to see my name in CAE...lol

The results will be under announcements in CSS.

RabidW0mbat
10-09-2018, 08:15 PM
The results will be under announcements in CSS.

Thank you

Filler filler

TheGodfather
10-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Since I have a few days off, I'm thinking of moving all my stuff to Columbia before I start training. Would that be a gamble? Or should I just wait till I bid?

DarkSideMoon
10-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Since I have a few days off, I'm thinking of moving all my stuff to Columbia before I start training. Would that be a gamble? Or should I just wait till I bid?

Pass training first before you uproot your life. Donít count your chickens before they hatch.

StrykerB21
10-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Pass training first before you uproot your life. Donít count your chickens before they hatch.

Second this.

Just because you've been hired doesn't necessarily mean you'll stay. Focus completely on getting through training first, then worry about moving.

BennyMiddleton
10-27-2018, 04:36 PM
CAE, what a great choice, thatíll get people running to the job interview at good ole awac.

el jefe
10-28-2018, 07:35 AM
CAE, what a great choice, thatíll get people running to the job interview at good ole awac.

Other regionals have/had outstation bases, and it has worked for them.

But yea, CAE sucks and will be not be a great recruiting tool. Commutable hubs are senior, uncommutable (MX base) outstations are junior. :(

It's a surprising choice (CAE) because AWAC doesn't usually make decisions that will affect their financial position in the long term.

DonConsult67
11-01-2018, 06:02 AM
Agreed on CAE ~ odd choice for even an out-station crew base and a pretty horrible "recruiting" tool.

We have referred several pilot candidates to AW the past few years and the two presently in-training are looking at other opportunities and the couple who were good candidates we've advised to go elsewhere...because of the push to send every new hire to CAE.

A non-, or highly difficult commuting base serves no purpose in the Regional environment if you're already having trouble staffing your lines. But then again, who said Regionals operate their business model with anything but a short-sighted, selfish, shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot approach.

StrykerB21
11-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Eh, the CAE announcement has been out there for sometime and according to crew availability we haven't seen any drop off in new hires.

Day4mx
11-02-2018, 04:32 AM
Agreed on CAE ~ odd choice for even an out-station crew base and a pretty horrible "recruiting" tool.

We have referred several pilot candidates to AW the past few years and the two presently in-training are looking at other opportunities and the couple who were good candidates we've advised to go elsewhere...because of the push to send every new hire to CAE.

A non-, or highly difficult commuting base serves no purpose in the Regional environment if you're already having trouble staffing your lines. But then again, who said Regionals operate their business model with anything but a short-sighted, selfish, shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot approach.

Its awacs typical arrogant attitude and living in the past thinking. We are are best regional. Cae or not, we will have people flooding here. With our industry leading contract we could put our biggest base at NSZP and people would still flock here. The reality is, this place is a year or two away from the UAL contract expiration date and ATW will have learned nothing from when we lost 50+ a month during AA sunset. Whether it's set to renew, extend, or expire, those clowns in appleton will say nothing and rumors will fly. Morale will tank. Everyone will wonder how much longer theyll have a job. New hires will dry up. Appleton still lives in the period of time when someone left or washed out, 5 applications were there to replace him.

Grumbletrousers
11-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Its awacs typical arrogant attitude and living in the past thinking. We are are best regional. Cae or not, we will have people flooding here. With our industry leading contract we could put our biggest base at NSZP and people would still flock here. The reality is, this place is a year or two away from the UAL contract expiration date and ATW will have learned nothing from when we lost 50+ a month during AA sunset. Whether it's set to renew, extend, or expire, those clowns in appleton will say nothing and rumors will fly. Morale will tank. Everyone will wonder how much longer theyll have a job. New hires will dry up. Appleton still lives in the period of time when someone left or washed out, 5 applications were there to replace him.

The United contract was signed in 2017 for 5 years with a 2 year extension option. Weíre not a year or two away from going out of business.

DarkSideMoon
11-02-2018, 07:48 AM
The United contract was signed in 2017 for 5 years with a 2 year extension option. Weíre not a year or two away from going out of business.

Just 4-6 years.

Day4mx
11-02-2018, 12:26 PM

I know that. But its a couple years before rumors start and morale tanks.

lukeh99
11-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Who is the ďweĒ in this sentence?

DarkSideMoon
11-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Who is the ďweĒ in this sentence?

Based on the ďconsultĒ in his username Iím guessing some kind of career consultant firm.

lukeh99
11-02-2018, 01:15 PM
I think a lot of people who have been in this industry for a decade or more forget that many 23 year old CFIís have no problem moving to a base for a new flying gig. CAE offers a low cost of living and is warm in the winter. Compare CAE with the cost of living in a hub like IAD or ORD and itís not surprising some people view a junior CAE base as a benefit. Iím not saying everyone will but you have to keep in mind different people have different priorities.

Grumbletrousers
11-03-2018, 07:40 AM
I know that. But its a couple years before rumors start and morale tanks.

Thatís true. Hopefully Appleton learned their lesson from that exodus.

DarkSideMoon
11-03-2018, 08:52 AM
I think a lot of people who have been in this industry for a decade or more forget that many 23 year old CFIís have no problem moving to a base for a new flying gig. CAE offers a low cost of living and is warm in the winter. Compare CAE with the cost of living in a hub like IAD or ORD and itís not surprising some people view a junior CAE base as a benefit. Iím not saying everyone will but you have to keep in mind different people have different priorities.

Columbia is hardly cheap. Median 1 bedroom rent is $840 a month. You can live in a burb of Chicago within a half hour drive of ohare for roughly the same amount.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/north-chicago-il/columbia-sc/50000

WhiskyWhisky
11-03-2018, 08:48 PM
https://imgflip.com/i/2lo78u

itsmytime
11-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Not to mention the fact that Columbia is a big college town, and all the benefits that come with that at 23 years old.

lukeh99
11-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Columbia is hardly cheap. Median 1 bedroom rent is $840 a month. You can live in a burb of Chicago within a half hour drive of ohare for roughly the same amount.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/north-chicago-il/columbia-sc/50000

You canít compare the cost of living in Columbia proper to some no-name suburb an hour north of Chicago. No 23 year old CFI is coming to Air Wisconsin to move to the City of North Chicago.

DarkSideMoon
11-05-2018, 01:37 AM
You canít compare the cost of living in Columbia proper to some no-name suburb an hour north of Chicago. No 23 year old CFI is coming to Air Wisconsin to move to the City of North Chicago.

We werenít talking about how hip each place was, you said Columbia was cheap. It isnít. Youíre the only person Iíve run into here that isnít from the area thatís excited about another outstation base in the middle of nowhere.

Not to mention the fact that we arenít hiring a whole lot of 23 year old CFIís. Average age in my class was probably mid 30ís. People with families that want the health insurance or need the quick bonus money. People not looking to uproot their lives.

And any people we recruit that are for whatever reason super excited to leave their friends and family and move to the middle of nowhere are probably offset by the number of Wisconsin, Chicago, and DC recruits that are going to go to SKW, PSA, or Envoy to still live and upgrade in base.

prex8390
11-05-2018, 04:25 AM

If a 23 year can a afford to live in Lake County IL Iíd like to meet his accountant. Thatís one of the wealthiest areas in the country.... if you meant The north side if Chicago, thatís literally where all the 23 year olds moving to the city are going.

lukeh99
11-05-2018, 04:42 AM
If a 23 year can a afford to live in Lake County IL Iíd like to meet his accountant. Thatís one of the wealthiest areas in the country.... if you meant The north side if Chicago, thatís literally where all the 23 year olds moving to the city are going.

Honestly as someone who lives in the City of Chicago that might as well be the moon. I have no idea.

BennyMiddleton
11-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Not to mention the fact that Columbia is a big college town, and all the benefits that come with that at 23 years old.

How big is the USC aviation program? Probably doesnít even have one.

tonsterboy5
11-07-2018, 07:30 PM
With all this bickering back and forth on Columbia does anyone know recent class sizes? (since the announcement of CAE)

lukeh99
11-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Pilots held MKE, ORD, and CAE as their first base out of training on the last vacancy result.

Soxfan1
11-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Pilots held MKE, ORD, and CAE as their first base out of training on the last vacancy result.

Also some 282xxís are holding reserve in iad. Not sure thier DOH but guessing they are 1-2 months out of IOE?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1