Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Standing Vacancy

Houpilot2001
08-01-2018, 10:22 PM
Has anyone done this yet? What has your experience been and how long until your scheduled for training?
How long until the pay increase showed up on your check(this goes for those who have accepted the SV and those who were forced)
Also, I cant find it in the contract language, if I were to accept the SV would I get the training freeze pay (5 hour override), or just get the 2 year seat lock? I am assuming the later since this is considered the same as receiving a proffered bid.

Cyio
08-02-2018, 05:06 AM
I dont know anyone that has done it yet personally.

Does anyone have a link to the exact language of this standing bid?

Seaplane
08-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Has anyone done this yet? What has your experience been and how long until your scheduled for training?
How long until the pay increase showed up on your check(this goes for those who have accepted the SV and those who were forced)
Also, I cant find it in the contract language, if I were to accept the SV would I get the training freeze pay (5 hour override), or just get the 2 year seat lock? I am assuming the later since this is considered the same as receiving a proffered bid.

You cannot put in for the 5hr override. You are voluntarily choosing to be a CA. And yes, you will be seat locked for 2 yrs. you will get CA pay almost immediately. Email pay comp and let them know the date you sent in for CA and were awarded it. Havenít talked with anyone who has picked a SV yet. Iím sure more details from those pilots will come out soon once we get about a 1-2mon removed from The last vac bid.

havick206
08-02-2018, 06:16 AM
You cannot put in for the 5hr override. You are voluntarily choosing to be a CA. And yes, you will be seat locked for 2 yrs. you will get CA pay almost immediately. Email pay comp and let them know the date you sent in for CA and were awarded it. Havenít talked with anyone who has picked a SV yet. Iím sure more details from those pilots will come out soon once we get about a 1-2mon removed from The last vac bid.

Some are on the latest flow plan as STAND

Houpilot2001
09-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Bump.

Just checking in. Still debating if this is a "good" move. Latest thinking, seems like the only benefit is pic time a few months faster. If anyone can think of any others I'd like to hear them.

Any ideas on if all 3 airplanes listed initially are still available. How far out are class dates on respective airplanes SV bids?

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 03:13 AM
I really think proffer to displace is the way to go. Then volunteer for the seat lock. Do the math on what hourly rate you d be on X 5 hours X 24 months...

If you upgrade via vacancy, you give that up.

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 06:59 AM
I really think proffer to displace is the way to go. Then volunteer for the seat lock. Do the math on what hourly rate you d be on X 5 hours X 24 months...

If you upgrade via vacancy, you give that up.

On a vacancy, are preferences filled first, then proffers? What I'm getting at, is if I want to stay on the 175 and have it as a preference, would it behoove me to move it to proffer to displace and have no preferences so I could take advantage of the training freeze. Or would they likely be filled before reaching me.

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 08:27 AM
On a vacancy, are preferences filled first, then proffers? What I'm getting at, is if I want to stay on the 175 and have it as a preference, would it behoove me to move it to proffer to displace and have no preferences so I could take advantage of the training freeze. Or would they likely be filled before reaching me.

I'm not sure how it will play out... a union rep will be better for answering that question. But consider this, if you are displaced to the wrong airframe, you are not seat locked if you don't accept the training freeze. So don't accept the training freeze and vacancy bid to what you want at the first option if you think it's worth it. You'd end up not getting the training freeze money if it came to it but at least you had a chance at it. In case you haven't done the math, that's over $8,000.

moon
09-06-2018, 09:11 AM

When you are displaced you can displace to whatever frame and seat you can hold.

Pedro4President
09-06-2018, 09:48 AM

You want to stay on the 175. Have ZERO preference or proffers!!! It's that simple. Only have all displacements filled in. There is NO reason to have a preference for a CA position. NONE!! End of story. Having a preference does not make it more likely you will get the 175.

pitchattitude
09-06-2018, 09:50 AM
What is the purpose of having to enter the RF 100 PDIS?

If you have a displacement preference and the company WILL displace you anyway, what is the point? Will they NOT look at it the displacement preference if you donít and just get stuck somewhere with a NEB?

Alll of the correspondence from the union on this still sounds as if a qualified FO still has a choice NOT to upgrade. That hasnít been the case since last October when a few VERY senior FOs slipped by, but they were all tagged in January. If there were not more slots than pilots, there wouldnít be anything left for a standing vacancy.

Just sounds like double talk and the Union isnít fully up on what is actually happening.

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 09:52 AM

If you have a displacement preference and the company WILL displace you anyway, what is the point? Will they NOT look at it the displacement preference if you donít and just get stuck somewhere with a NEB?

Alll of the correspondence from the union on this still sounds as if a qualified FO still has a choice NOT to upgrade. That hasnít been the case since last October when a few VERY senior FOs slipped by, but they were all tagged in April. If there were not more slots than pilots, there would be anything left for a standing vacancy.

Just sounds like double talk and the Union isnít fully up on what is actually happening.

Exactly. This is about as clear as mud. I'm just trying to get all the facts straight and do what's best for my family, qol and money.

Pedro4President
09-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Alll of the correspondence from the union on this still sounds as if a qualified FO still has a choice NOT to upgrade. That hasnít been the case since last October when a few VERY senior FOs slipped by, but they were all tagged in April. If there were not more slots than pilots, there would be anything left for a standing vacancy.

Exactly there is no reason to have a proffer to displace when you know you are going to be displaced.

I'm not really into bashing the union on this but the last time we had a vacancy and displacement they sent their information email out extremely late. I think it was sent a day or two before then I'd closed. They need to be a little more detailed on their explanation of bidding. Their whole packet is confusing.

It's really simple to explain.
1. Always have every displacement position filled out in order from best to worst. ALL THE TIME.
2. Only put a preference if you absolutely want a position and you know you aren't going to get displaced to it.
3. Proffer to displace when you want to displace but don't know for sure you will be displaced.

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 09:57 AM
You want to stay on the 175. Have ZERO preference or proffers!!! It's that simple. Only have all displacements filled in. There is NO reason to have a preference for a CA position. NONE!! End of story. Having a preference does not make it more likely you will get the 175.

So you are suggesting to empty my 3p and then build my pdis the way I want it? I missed the last vacancy by about 20 hours so i assume that puts me at the top of the next round. I would prefer to stay 175 for the base and less stressful upgrade but am not opposed to going 145. What I do want to happen is by trying to play the game getting stuck on the crj. I understand about the training freeze and have considered the money that comes with it. But I have also considered taking the SV for the money, going to lga for 3 months and transferring out before the perks end.

Ultimately, I would prefer to stay 175 and am looking at the best way to make that a real possibility.

havick206
09-06-2018, 09:59 AM
So you are suggesting to empty my 3p and then build my pdis the way I want it? I missed the last vacancy by about 20 hours so i assume that puts me at the top of the next round. I would prefer to stay 175 for the base and less stressful upgrade but am not opposed to going 145. What I do want to happen is by trying to play the game getting stuck on the crj. I understand about the training freeze and have considered the money that comes with it. But I have also considered taking the SV for the money, going to lga for 3 months and transferring out before the perks end.

Ultimately, I would prefer to stay 175 and am looking at the best way to make that a real possibility.

Roughly what month/year were you hired?

Pedro4President
09-06-2018, 10:01 AM

I rewrote my post. I'm saying you don't need a pdis and you should NEVER have a 3p.

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Roughly what month/year were you hired?

Early 17. What's the difference?

havick206
09-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Early 17. What's the difference?

Late 2016ís held CA 175 ORD last bid.

3GreenKSNA
09-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Late 2016ís held CA 175 ORD last bid.It went more junior then that.

Into March or April of 17

-Keep the dirty side down

uavking
09-06-2018, 10:16 AM
I rewrote my post. I'm saying you don't need a pdis and you should NEVER have a 3p.

I'd argue that this is poor guidance. Certainly one shouldn't pref bid in this environment of forced upgrades. However, contractually, profer to displace is run right after pref bids and before straight displacements. Then, when training is assigned, profers get first crack at slots (in seniority order) before pure displacements (reverse seniority order). In my mind, if one truly wants a certain airframe or base, but doesn't want to chance a seat lock, it behooves one to use the profer to displace tool. Then, if you're happy with what you got, volunteer for the seat lock and profit.

Tellheritwasntu
09-06-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure how it will play out... a union rep will be better for answering that question. But consider this, if you are displaced to the wrong airframe, you are not seat locked if you don't accept the training freeze. So don't accept the training freeze and vacancy bid to what you want at the first option if you think it's worth it. You'd end up not getting the training freeze money if it came to it but at least you had a chance at it. In case you haven't done the math, that's over $8,000.

What is the training freeze pay rate? 5 hours for 12 or 24 months?

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 10:34 AM
What is the training freeze pay rate? 5 hours for 12 or 24 months?

5 for 24. Works out to be just over 8k gross

uavking
09-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Per the standing vacancy LOA, it's 5 hr extra pay for 24 months if one volunteers to incur the seat lock after displacement.

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Then, when training is assigned, profers get first crack at slots (in seniority order) before pure displacements (reverse seniority order).

So proffers to displacement go to training before displacements? I thought proffer to displace only had to do with the bidding process and once it was done, displaced is displaced.

Jumpseatcrawler
09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Have a couple of questions and wanted to see if and how anyone has done it...So i should be right at 950hrs next week.

1-Should i send an rf 950 bid or rf 100 pdis?

2-Once i send it and get the ďdoneĒ message, how long does it take to know if you where awarded the position?

3-how can you tell that you have been awarded your new capt status, is it through 3npp, hi10?

(I SUCK AT FOS)

Thanks!

uavking
09-06-2018, 11:29 AM
So proffers to displacement go to training before displacements? I thought proffer to displace only had to do with the bidding process and once it was done, displaced is displaced.

See contract section 15.E.1 which states "pilots will be entered into training in order of vacancy bid award, in seniority order, by bid status." The practical effect is that training gets scheduled by pref bid, then profer to displace, then displace.

An example of this is that I, who pref bid, go to training at the beginning of month one. A buddy one seniority number below me, who profer to displace to the same seat, will go at the end of month two. Quite a difference, eh?

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 11:42 AM
An example of this is that I, who pref bid, go to training at the beginning of month one. A buddy one seniority number below me, who profer to displace to the same seat, will go at the end of month two. Quite a difference, eh?

I get that preference bids (ie vacancy) go before proffer to displace. You had separated proffer to displace from regular displace for training order purposes, which I've never seen. And I don't see that it says that in 15.E.1 either. I thought proffer to displace and displace went to training as one group, reverse seniority order, after vacancies.

SilentLurker
09-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Per the standing vacancy LOA, it's 5 hr extra pay for 24 months if one volunteers to incur the seat lock after displacement.

This all expires in February 2019 right?

Seems like a trail LOA. I hope to see some type of LOA or even Rsv rules changes prior to the expiration of recent LOAs.

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Seems like a trail LOA. I hope to see some type of LOA or even Rsv rules changes prior to the expiration of recent LOAs.

Actually, the reference to the pay for a training freeze is in the Domicile Procedures LOA (17-01) and I don't think it has an expiration.

moon
09-06-2018, 11:56 AM

The LOA that expires feb 2019 is the one pertaining to FOs bidding reserve and being assigned trips. It is seperate from the other LOAs announced at the same time.

Pedro4President
09-06-2018, 12:47 PM
I'd argue that this is poor guidance. Certainly one shouldn't pref bid in this environment of forced upgrades. However, contractually, profer to displace is run right after pref bids and before straight displacements. Then, when training is assigned, profers get first crack at slots (in seniority order) before pure displacements (reverse seniority order). In my mind, if one truly wants a certain airframe or base, but doesn't want to chance a seat lock, it behooves one to use the profer to displace tool. Then, if you're happy with what you got, volunteer for the seat lock and profit.

Ok so sending a proffer to displace you get maybe 30-60 hrs PIC time more than a displacement bid. There's no other benefit to proffering to displace. Unless someone wants to poke another hole in my bidding rationale.

However when you proffer to displace you leave thousands of dollars on the table, and possibly less time on reserve sitting airport standby.

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Ok so sending a proffer to displace you get maybe 30-60 hrs PIC time more than a displacement bid. There's no other benefit to proffering to displace. Unless someone wants to poke another hole in my bidding rationale.

However when you proffer to displace you leave thousands of dollars on the table, and possibly less time on reserve sitting airport standby.

Is there a way to cancel a proffer to displace. Or is it only active for the bid closing date on the rf100 pdis. (Right now this shows the July vacancy). Meaning. I had it selected on the last bid.

nemich
09-06-2018, 03:11 PM
I would check with the union since Domicile Procedures LOA referenced above says: ď II. Whenever a CAPTAIN is displaced ... yada yada ... 5 hours per month... etcĒ
So make sure it applies to FO->CA displacements...

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 05:05 PM
I would check with the union since Domicile Procedures LOA referenced above says: “ II. Whenever a CAPTAIN is displaced ... yada yada ... 5 hours per month... etc”
So make sure it applies to FO->CA displacements...

Dang man, good catch. Guess I need to look for something else to exploit. :-\

Edit: On second thought, I just went back and reread the union email regarding this (subject: Displaced? Action Required by July 24, 2018). First, it explicitely states in the first paragraph "from a captain status" to be eligible but then second paragraph says 15.G.4'd into a captain status and then gives table that clearly shows FO displaced to CA being able to volunteer for the training freeze.

So, I guess this is covered somewhere in the contract/LOAs but I'm not sure where. I'm not likely to be qualified on the next bid if they do them every three months like they have been so this is on the back burner for me.

RawHide
09-06-2018, 06:14 PM
You guys are also missing one benefit to standing vacancy. You start getting captain pay right away while being a sr FO.

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 06:19 PM
You guys are also missing one benefit to standing vacancy. You start getting captain pay right away while being a sr FO.

It doesn't matter the method of getting your captain status. Once awarded, you get captain pay while you're a senior FO waiting on training. I prefer the option of being displaced and going into training in reverse seniority order after all vacacnies such that I spend the longest amount of time possible as a senior FO on CA pay while also still receiving the FO retention bonus until fed ride.

Houpilot2001
09-06-2018, 06:34 PM
It doesn't matter the method of getting your captain status. Once awarded, you get captain pay while you're a senior FO waiting on training. I prefer the option of being displaced and going into training in reverse seniority order after all vacacnies such that I spend the longest amount of time possible as a senior FO on CA pay while also still receiving the FO retention bonus until fed ride.

From the mouth of the union.....the retention bonus stops as soon as CA pay is awarded.

(Edit) I thought this too. Even saw it in an email but was promptly shut down when I asked about it.

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 06:53 PM
From the mouth of the union.....the retention bonus stops as soon as CA pay is awarded.

(Edit) I thought this too. Even saw it in an email but was promptly shut down when I asked about it.

Hmmm, I remember seeing it in an email too which is why I said it. I'm going to have to go back and read the LOAs. I don't remember seeing anything that said the condition of the bonuses had changed.

mketch11
09-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Finally read the LOA and ya it says ďwhen a first officer is awarded a captain status he will, for the purposes and vacancy bidding only, be considered to hold his awarded captain status and receive the appropriate hourly wage as if he had attained his captain status.Ē

Also, two pages before that it says the loa eliminates all training freezes for new hires...

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Finally read the LOA and ya it says ďwhen a first officer is awarded a captain status he will, for the purposes and vacancy bidding only, be considered to hold his awarded captain status and receive the appropriate hourly wage as if he had attained his captain status.Ē

The union email I remembered states "For those who are awarded CA pay upon award via the First Officer Advancement Program LOA, you continue to receive your retention payments under the provisions set by that LOA until "the pilot completes Captain upgrade training (Change in Status).""

And the email is dated after the latest LOAs. So the union was expecting this to play out as though you get captain pay on award and retention bonus until fed ride. But the quote from the LOA you have seems to say otherwise. Maybe the union got duped.

In any case, I still think you're better off trying to stay senior FO on CA pay rates as long as possible which is why you shouldn't vacancy bid.

highfarfast
09-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Also, two pages before that it says the loa eliminates all training freezes for new hires...

I don't think we've been talking about training freezes for new hires here.

mketch11
09-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Finally read the LOA and ya it says ďwhen a first officer is awarded a captain status he will, for PAY purposes and vacancy bidding only, be considered to hold his awarded captain status and receive the appropriate hourly wage as if he had attained his captain statusĒ

I mistyped an important word in that. Edited above

Cyio
09-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Ok so I would like to make sure I have this straight in my head, because a lot has been thrown around here.

Say I want to upgrade on the E75 ORD. If I donít put a proffer in, I can be displaced into it so long as my displacement list has it as number one.

However, I do run the risk that of all the vacancies are filled by proffers I could be displaced into something else. The gamble here is that I could get displaced into it and agree to the training freeze which would allow me the extra 5 a month plus a longer wait prior to training.

So itís a matter of taking the thing you want via proffer and being happy with it or gambling that not enough proffers will take it and hope for displacement into that aircraft for the extra money.

Do I have this correct?

highfarfast
09-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Ok so I would like to make sure I have this straight in my head, because a lot has been thrown around here.

Say I want to upgrade on the E75 ORD. If I donít put a proffer in, I can be displaced into it so long as my displacement list has it as number one.

However, I do run the risk that of all the vacancies are filled by proffers I could be displaced into something else. The gamble here is that I could get displaced into it and agree to the training freeze which would allow me the extra 5 a month plus a longer wait prior to training.

So itís a matter of taking the thing you want via proffer and being happy with it or gambling that not enough proffers will take it and hope for displacement into that aircraft for the extra money.

Do I have this correct?

Thereís been enough said one way or the other here that I would normally suggest asking a union rep but given that the union emails seem to have either wrong or missleading info in them compared to the LOAs, Iím not sure the union reps know. Might be good if someone thatís been through the forced upgrade after these latest LOAs would chime in.

3GreenKSNA
09-07-2018, 07:20 AM
Thereís been enough said one way or the other here that I would normally suggest asking a union rep but given that the union emails seem to have either wrong or missleading info in them compared to the LOAs, Iím not sure the union reps know. Might be good if someone thatís been through the forced upgrade after these latest LOAs would chime in.I have an Email into my Rep, will report back what I hear.

SilentLurker
09-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Bump!!!!!

If everyone proffered to displace, vs preference bid for upgrade things here would start to look more like a united group of pilots, things would be more interesting for everyone in the next few months.

Group of guys with hours to upgrade in the next vacancy could be leaving a lot of money on the table it They 3P for a seat locked (upgrade bid) into a sure thing equipment/base, but why when they would have held it anyway had they just placed it at the top of 3D if everyone followed suit in unity. If base QOL, and AA flow are the top goals, a longer senior FO status while receiving CA pay is gold! Especially when getting paid as a CA anyway to sit as a senior FO waiting your turn to upgrade.

I will admittedly say I have a wide smile on my face, really happy for those who take advantage of the opportunity here. Happy flying, seniority, and time at home to those waiting for upgrade training when this happens! Especially during slow months on a fullly staffed FO Rsv list.

DilsonWic
09-07-2018, 07:33 AM
No FO should have a preference bid. They should all be displacement bids.

Youíre gonna upgrade whether you want to or not, why not get the advantages of a displacement? If your preference can hold it, your displacement can too.

Houpilot2001
09-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Bump!!!!!

If everyone proffered to displace, vs preference bid for upgrade things here would start to look more like a united group of pilots, things would be more interesting for everyone in the next few months.

Group of guys with hours to upgrade in the next vacancy could be leaving a lot of money on the table it They 3P for a seat locked (upgrade bid) into a sure thing equipment/base, but why when they would have held it anyway had they just placed it at the top of 3D if everyone followed suit in unity. If base QOL, and AA flow are the top goals, a longer senior FO status while receiving CA pay is gold! Especially when getting paid as a CA anyway to sit as a senior FO waiting your turn to upgrade.

I will admittedly say I have a wide smile on my face, really happy for those who take advantage of the opportunity here. Happy flying, seniority, and time at home to those waiting for upgrade training when this happens! Especially during slow months on a fullly staffed FO Rsv list.

I agree. After struggling with what to do since the last vacancy, I decided against the SV and emptied my 3p and pdis. We should all band together and have a united front. Things are not going to change until people stop showing up in droves and those of us here stop rushing towards CA. In the companies eyes they are winning and until they stop, nothing will change.

pitchattitude
09-07-2018, 09:18 AM
I agree. After struggling with what to do since the last vacancy, I decided against the SV and emptied my 3p and pdis. We should all band together and have a united front. Things are not going to change until people stop showing up in droves and those of us here stop rushing towards CA. In the companies eyes they are winning and until they stop, nothing will change.
Iím in. /10/

Cyio
09-07-2018, 09:36 AM
OK, well I am on board. I will empty my 3P as well once they unlock it.

Unity

Houpilot2001
09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
OK, well I am on board. I will empty my 3P as well once they unlock it.

Unity

Should be unlocked now.
Fos 3*
3P/CANCEL 1 enter, . . .

uavking
09-07-2018, 02:33 PM
You guys realize you just shot yourselves in the foot, right, with this performative statement? Profer to displace is still a displacement; it simply gets first crack at bases and airframes still remaining after pref bids are run. So when y'all get LGA 145 because that's all that's left, when your seniority would've held something better had you profer to displace, have fun. (That's essentially what happened to a guy last vacancy)

Also, unity? Really? Then why is no one running for ORD FO rep besides one dude?

moon
09-07-2018, 02:46 PM
You guys realize you just shot yourselves in the foot, right, with this performative statement? Profer to displace is still a displacement; it simply gets first crack at bases and airframes still remaining after pref bids are run. So when y'all get LGA 145 because that's all that's left, when your seniority would've held something better had you profer to displace, have fun. (That's essentially what happened to a guy last vacancy)

Also, unity? Really? Then why is no one running for ORD FO rep besides one dude?

That's not how it works. You displace not into what's left you displace into what you can hold. The only way it bites someone is if the company decides not to displace FOs to CA

havick206
09-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Be careful listening to any bidding advice on here.

If I had listened to pedro4presidentís advice when I bid for CA upgrade a couple of bids ago, I wouldíve missed out on roughly 10k ish of withholding pay.

That was pre standing vacancy bid LOA so the playing field has changed since then.

But everyoneís individual circumstances are different and you should bid whatever best suits your own situation.

The only solid advice that rings true for daily, monthly and vacancy bidding is never bid for anything you donít want.

Read the LOA and the contract ten times over then bid/proffer accordingly.

The million dollar question I would be asking if I were an FO that hit CA mins for the next bid would be, how many CA slots are there vs amount of eligible FOís that can upgrade.

I can see valid reasons to not preference bid given the new LOA, but I canít see any reason to not proffer to displace.

Pedro4President
09-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Be careful listening to any bidding advice on here.

If I had listened to pedro4presidentís advice when I bid for CA upgrade a couple of bids ago, I wouldíve missed out on roughly 10k ish of withholding pay.

That was pre standing vacancy bid LOA so the playing field has changed since then.

But everyoneís individual circumstances are different and you should bid whatever best suits your own situation.

The only solid advice that rings true for daily, monthly and vacancy bidding is never bid for anything you donít want.

Read the LOA and the contract ten times over then bid/proffer accordingly.

The million dollar question I would be asking if I were an FO that hit CA mins for the next bid would be, how many CA slots are there vs amount of eligible FOís that can upgrade.

I can see valid reasons to not preference bid, but I canít see any reason to not proffer to displace.

How did I tell you to bid? Also MANY people in our company don't know how it works. Just look two post up from you and you still have a guy thinking you have a better chance to hold something if you proffer to displace vs displace because "it's ran first".

The only difference in proffer to displace vs displace is the order in how you are sent for upgrade training.

havick206
09-07-2018, 07:15 PM
How did I tell you to bid? Also MANY people in our company don't know how it works. Just look two post up from you and you still have a guy thinking you have a better chance to hold something if you proffer to displace vs displace because "it's ran first".

The only difference in proffer to displace vs displace is the order in how you are sent for upgrade training.

Pre LOA when forced upgrades were in full swing you surmised that no one should preference bid at all at the time.

moon
09-08-2018, 04:02 AM

The other difference in proffer to displace vs displace is who gets displaced. If envoy displaces 1 FO from say the ORD 145 and the senior pilot in that equipment proffers to displace. That senior pilot is displaced and not the junior ORD 145 pilot.

So if someone is wanting the upgrade they should put in a proffer to displace. If someone is hoping to hold off on the upgrade and hoping there's enough qualified pilots junior to them they should put in just a displacement preference.

havick206
09-08-2018, 04:41 AM
The other difference in proffer to displace vs displace is who gets displaced. If envoy displaces 1 FO from say the ORD 145 and the senior pilot in that equipment proffers to displace. That senior pilot is displaced and not the junior ORD 145 pilot.

So if someone is wanting the upgrade they should put in a proffer to displace. If someone is hoping to hold off on the upgrade and hoping there's enough qualified pilots junior to them they should put in just a displacement preference.

This is the most correct advice on this thread thus far.

Pedro4President
09-08-2018, 04:41 AM
Pre LOA when forced upgrades were in full swing you surmised that no one should preference bid at all at the time.

Yep. Preference bidding is crazy even pre LOA. 8k plus guaranteed if you don't preference bid vs a 2% chance of getting withheld and making CA pay if you do preference bid. You just got lucky.

Cyio
09-08-2018, 07:47 AM

Just to clarify, I am not putting in an empty 3p, just the proffer will be empty. I will still have my displacements set.

Also, I am currently in the process of joining several union slots so please keep your assumptions to yourself. Just because I didnít feel capable of performing the FO rep spot doesnít mean I canít be active in other ways.

havick206
09-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Yep. Preference bidding is crazy even pre LOA. 8k plus guaranteed if you don't preference bid vs a 2% chance of getting withheld and making CA pay if you do preference bid. You just got lucky.

I didnít get lucky, I can add.

pitchattitude
09-08-2018, 10:07 AM

Obviously no one outside ďthe circleĒ in management knows, but the last several bids there has been ZERO chance of not getting displaced to CA. The company is paying a $45K bonus to get DECs. They are not going to let a qualified FO bypass. The last several bids had more openings than qualified FOs. This is on purpose. They have to have openings to create a standing vacancy.

Hoping to hold off your upgrade is like spitting into a F5 tornado and hoping not to get anything all over yourself.

moon
09-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Obviously no one outside ďthe circleĒ in management knows, but the last several bids there has been ZERO chance of not getting displaced to CA. The company is paying a $45K bonus to get DECs. They are not going to let a qualified FO bypass. The last several bids had more openings than qualified FOs. This is on purpose. They have to have openings to create a standing vacancy.

Hoping to hold off your upgrade is like spitting into a F5 tornado and hoping not to get anything all over yourself.

Oh I completely agree. At some point they will stop displacing all the FOs maybe.

RomeoBravo
09-09-2018, 03:53 PM
No FO should have a preference bid. They should all be displacement bids.

Youíre gonna upgrade whether you want to or not, why not get the advantages of a displacement? If your preference can hold it, your displacement can too.

Give this guy/gal a [emoji514]. This person gets it, unfortunately, the pilot group at large doesnít quite understand the workings of 3D here.

Again, if your 3P can hold it, your 3D in the same order can hold it.

Do not have anything filled in for your 3P options. Enjoy all the benefits that come with a displacement (3D).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mketch11
09-09-2018, 05:04 PM
So, if one is eligible to upgrade at 1000 hrs 121 (ignoring 135 and 91k folks), how many hours do I have if I donít know how many hours to subtract for all those ferry/maintenance flight I got volunteered for?

3GreenKSNA
09-09-2018, 05:42 PM
So, if one is eligible to upgrade at 1000 hrs 121 (ignoring 135 and 91k folks), how many hours do I have if I donít know how many hours to subtract for all those ferry/maintenance flight I got volunteered for?Get onto decs and type in hi7y

mketch11
09-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Get onto decs and type in hi7y

Did that already before I posted

bigtime209
09-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Did that already before I posted

Well...then what's your question? That entry shows exactly what you're looking for.

mketch11
09-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Itís shows you part 91 time that I flew at envoy? Maybe I missed that part. When I looked it shows company sic time, which matches my total time in the aircraft, along with places to show part 135 and 91k time if I had any, which I donít. Maybe you arenít understanding the question

SilentLurker
09-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Itís shows you part 91 time that I flew at envoy? Maybe I missed that part. When I looked it shows company sic time, which matches my total time in the aircraft, along with places to show part 135 and 91k time if I had any, which I donít. Maybe you arenít understanding the question

Envoy is part 121 only

You donít need to subtract anything. Enjoy your upgrade. Your complicating things and it wonít work.

mketch11
09-09-2018, 07:45 PM
So when your flight release says that the flight is being operated under part 91, thatís just a misnomer on the part of the company?

pitchattitude
09-09-2018, 08:39 PM
So, if one is eligible to upgrade at 1000 hrs 121 (ignoring 135 and 91k folks), how many hours do I have if I donít know how many hours to subtract for all those ferry/maintenance flight I got volunteered for?
You only need 950. They are counting the 50 hours of IOE.

jonrayburn
09-09-2018, 08:43 PM
So when your flight release says that the flight is being operated under part 91, thatís just a misnomer on the part of the company?

You better call the FAA tip hotline. Youíre on to something! 😆

Cyio
09-10-2018, 03:41 AM
I must be a moron or something. I am going through the bidding guide to make sure that I have everything set and I noticed this Proffer to Displace rf message we are supposed to send.

I was under the impression that all we needed to do was leave our 3P empty and fill our our 3D in the order that we want to work it and the system takes care of itself. We would be protected from a seat lock and no flow issues would arise.

Now it seems we need to send RF 100 PDIS and then fill out another set of bids? I know the union tries with their emails and all, but I am just not seeing the big picture here. Can someone, in simple, plain english explain, perhaps by example of what we need to do?

I got the 3P and 3D, its this new third option that I am struggling to get. I would like to be displaced and then accept the training freeze if I get what I want.

moon
09-10-2018, 03:45 AM
I must be a moron or something. I am going through the bidding guide to make sure that I have everything set and I noticed this Proffer to Displace rf message we are supposed to send.

I was under the impression that all we needed to do was leave our 3P empty and fill our our 3D in the order that we want to work it and the system takes care of itself. We would be protected from a seat lock and no flow issues would arise.

Now it seems we need to send RF 100 PDIS and then fill out another set of bids? I know the union tries with their emails and all, but I am just not seeing the big picture here. Can someone, in simple, plain english explain, perhaps by example of what we need to do?

I got the 3P and 3D, its this new third option that I am struggling to get. I would like to be displaced and then accept the training freeze if I get what I want.

When a pilot puts in a proffer to displace they basically take the displacement of a junior pilot in their base who would have been displaced. You don't necessarily need it for these forced upgrades.

Cyio
09-10-2018, 04:05 AM
When a pilot puts in a proffer to displace they basically take the displacement of a junior pilot in their base who would have been displaced. You don't necessarily need it for these forced upgrades.

OK, so it allows you to take the place of someone that is junior to you if and when they have to run in reverse seniority? Do I have that correct?

Lets say I dont sent that, could someone junior to me get the displacement that I want ahead of me?

moon
09-10-2018, 04:16 AM
OK, so it allows you to take the place of someone that is junior to you if and when they have to run in reverse seniority? Do I have that correct?

Lets say I dont sent that, could someone junior to me get the displacement that I want ahead of me?

Yes you are correct.

If you don't proffer to displace a junior pilot would displace before you got displaced, but if you both end up getting displaced you would end up holding whatever your seniority would hold based on your 3D. The junior pilot wouldn't end up in the position you want without you getting it.

Bigpimppilot
09-10-2018, 04:54 AM
You also miss out on paid move and some other things when you proffer to displace

PilotPete4You
10-03-2018, 07:33 AM
Anyone have any idea how this vacancy is going to play out? Maybe there will be a new standing vacancy post after the results come out.

MD-11Loader
10-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Anyone have any idea how this vacancy is going to play out? Maybe there will be a new standing vacancy post after the results come out.

August 2016 - January 2017 DOH should be the bulk of the upgrades on this one.

RomeoBravo
10-03-2018, 09:36 AM
August 2016 - January 2017 DOH should be the bulk of the upgrades on this one.

Itíll be more like Nov 2016 to Apr 2017 will be the bulk of the upgrades for this vacancy thatís scheduled to close 06-OCT.
I say that because the majority of Oct 2016 hires upgraded on the last vacancy and some are on the line already (CRJ/EMJ) although, there are those that bid 175 that havenít even started upgrade training to date either.

There are some outliers, those that were on military leave, family leave and are just getting closer to their time for upgrade.

pitchattitude
10-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Itíll be more like Nov 2016 to Apr 2017 will be the bulk of the upgrades for this vacancy thatís scheduled to close 06-OCT.
I say that because the majority of Oct 2016 hires upgraded on the last vacancy and some are on the line already (CRJ/EMJ) although, there are those that bid 175 that havenít even started upgrade training to date either.

There are some outliers, those that were on military leave, family leave and are just getting closer to their time for upgrade.

There are additional outliers with even later hire dates that have ďother qualifying timeĒ such as military, 135 or 121 time not at the company but didnít qualify as DEC. Those are the numbers that are difficult to guess.

402FreightDog
10-04-2018, 06:31 AM
So, we have a bid that closes in two days and nothing from the union...

havick206
10-04-2018, 06:51 AM

Last bid they sent out a bunch of information. Nothing has changed since then. Thatís all available on the ALPA site in the e-library

MD-11Loader
10-04-2018, 07:24 AM

They usually send out guidance the day before.

RomeoBravo
10-04-2018, 07:30 AM

What would you like to hear or see specifically? Remember you can always contact the LEC/MEC directly alternatively, you can talk to one of P2Pís (red ID backer/red lanyard).
As stated above, the union did put out some guidance the last go around, nothing has changed and these vacancies will continue to post until the company needs are met.

Our friends on frequency here would be happy to provide guidance as well [emoji4]

bigtime209
10-04-2018, 08:04 AM

As the other guys have said, nothing is new with this bid versus the previous. What do you need to know?

402FreightDog
10-04-2018, 08:22 AM
I guess if there is nothing new to add, then there is nothing else to know.

Trying to game my strategy for base vs aircraft. I am relatively junior at the company for my time and donít want to get stuck.

What the company does (or doesnít do) with backfills can really alter the outcome of this, considering what has been thought to be junior domiciles. This vacancy doesnít seem to support that.

RomeoBravo
10-04-2018, 08:28 AM

Trying to game my strategy for base vs aircraft. I am relatively junior at the company for my time and donít want to get stuck.

What the company does (or doesnít do) with backfills can really alter the outcome of this, considering what has been thought to be junior domiciles. This vacancy doesnít seem to support that.

First and foremost, do ensure that your 3D preferences are completely filled in the order youíd like to be displaced.
Donít assume you canít get something as there are people with none or not enough preferences set identified as ďNEBĒ on the Flow Plan.
Your seniority dictates a lot, nothing you can change there. So, do your part and keep your fingers crossed.

As you know, if you have the time they will find you, so choose your battles.

havick206
10-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Main thing is only bid something you want. Ensure you have displacement preferences you can live with.

The ones who screw themselves leave their 3D blank or preference something they donít necessarily want.

bigtime209
10-04-2018, 08:33 AM

Are you going to be FO to CA on this bid? If you're trying to figure out your best possible strategy, reach out to your rep and have a conversation with them. Bounce your goals off of them and see what they recommend. But the reality is, if you're a junior guy there's only so much strategizing you can do. Depending on just how jr you are and what your preferences are, you may just end up with the leftover scraps. And you're right, the backfills can really change the overall outcome. Not to mention, the downstream displacements that can occur when a sr guy gets displaced into a status ahead of a jr guy in said status. It's a mess these days with this forced upgrade fiasco.

402FreightDog
10-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Yes, FO going to CA. MY 3D is filled with what I want as well as what I should be able to hold based on current seniority. NO 3P. And no RF 100 to profer for a displacement.

I guess the union canít give information they donít have, but like I said initially, the vacancies donít seem to support the manning.

Can the company create a standing bid with vacancies from a backfill?

My understanding was there had to be a standing vacancy for DECs or is that going away?

Cyio
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Is there a way to check if you have an active rf 100 proffer to displace?

Houpilot2001
10-04-2018, 10:23 AM
They sent out a vacancy guide today. It's a long one. It with alot if good information.

BigZ
10-04-2018, 10:53 AM
By the MEC email, the standing vacancy will be comprised of this bid's leftovers

Here's the trick question - does that mean
DFW CA Ė E145
ORD CA Ė E145
DFW CA Ė E175
(If there are leftovers) for DECs and FOs willing to partake in the standing vacancy, or will the list also include spots vacated by the captains bidding off of equipment/base?

pitchattitude
10-04-2018, 11:18 AM
I guess the question is whether to profer to displace or not.

Advantages and disadvantages.

Houpilot2001
10-04-2018, 03:35 PM
By the MEC email, the standing vacancy will be comprised of this bid's leftovers

Here's the trick question - does that mean
DFW CA Ė E145
ORD CA Ė E145
DFW CA Ė E175
(If there are leftovers) for DECs and FOs willing to partake in the standing vacancy, or will the list also include spots vacated by the captains bidding off of equipment/base?

There will be no 175s left, almost guaranteed.

BigZ
10-04-2018, 07:27 PM
There will be no 175s left, almost guaranteed.

Agree. Hypothetically speaking though, how many FOs ready to upgrade do we have? How many of them want DFW?
We have
20 DFW CA Ė E145
40 ORD CA Ė E145
50 DFW CA Ė E175

30% goes to the current CAs, so 35 DFW 175 slots remaining. Some upgrades will want to stay in ord even if it means 145, some will backfill LGA transfers. We'll see in a week or so I guess

pitchattitude
10-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Agree. Hypothetically speaking though, how many FOs ready to upgrade do we have? How many of them want DFW?
We have
20 DFW CA Ė E145
40 ORD CA Ė E145
50 DFW CA Ė E175

30% goes to the current CAs, so 35 DFW 175 slots remaining. Some upgrades will want to stay in ord even if it means 145, some will backfill LGA transfers. We'll see in a week or so I guess
Based on the last several bids, I would think there are 100+. The company knows how many are eligible and I donít think they plan to leave anyone behind.

If there are quite a few on the 145 that want 175 and those already on the 175 in ORD trying to get to DFW, that will leave a lot of backfills. And again, IMHO, everyone eligible will be snagged.

Houpilot2001
10-05-2018, 05:57 AM
We have
20 DFW CA Ė E145
40 ORD CA Ė E145
50 DFW CA Ė E175

Cant tell you how many are eligible for sure, but there are 48 senior to me with the time. I agree there will be those that stay in their airframe for an easier upgrade, but it will be interesting to see if they actually allow the backfills(they usually do even though they say they wont).

NoValueAviator
10-06-2018, 03:45 AM
I hope there are robust FO back fills in NY. It seems ORD is the new unwanted 145 FO graveyard...

GoFast8
10-06-2018, 11:21 AM
I hope there are robust FO back fills in NY. It seems ORD is the new unwanted 145 FO graveyard...

What do you mean by that?

NoValueAviator
10-06-2018, 01:31 PM
What do you mean by that?

Backfill = vacancy created by another pilot bidding into a different status that is listed in the vacancy.

Unwanted FO graveyard/dumpster = status given to new hire pilots for whom no operational need currently exists or is anticipated. Something Envoy sometimes does with the 145 for some reason, leading to 70+ man reserve lists. Inferior bases and equipment, much longer reserve times.

GoFast8
10-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Backfill = vacancy created by another pilot bidding into a different status that is listed in the vacancy.

Unwanted FO graveyard/dumpster = status given to new hire pilots for whom no operational need currently exists or is anticipated. Something Envoy sometimes does with the 145 for some reason, leading to 70+ man reserve lists. Inferior bases and equipment, much longer reserve times.

Ahhhh!! So youre basically say that QOL is gonna suck for quite a while if im a new hire 145/ORD

ParkingatMIA
10-06-2018, 02:56 PM
With the vacancy bid now closed...

https://pics.onsizzle.com/may-the-odds-be-ever-in-your-favor-17625208.png

pitchattitude
10-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Itís all over but the crying...

Skip0927
10-07-2018, 10:44 AM
When is bid gonna be run and results posted?

Skip0927
10-07-2018, 10:47 AM
I put in for NCL and it took it. I am 🤞🤞🤞 I get the award.

3GreenKSNA
10-07-2018, 10:49 AM
I put in for NCL and it took it. I am [emoji1696][emoji1696][emoji1696] I get the award.I put in for LAX 175, took that too.

RomeoBravo
10-07-2018, 12:12 PM
When is bid gonna be run and results posted?

A prelim bid is scheduled to run 09OCT. The bid can be run anytime after 06OCT 1500hrs, theyíve indicated we will see final bid results by 13OCT.

ParkingatMIA
10-07-2018, 12:13 PM
A prelim bid is scheduled to run 09OCT. The bid can be run anytime after 06OCT 1500hrs, theyíve indicated we will see final bid results by 13OCT.

Does that mean we start getting captain pay on the 14th?

Another question, probably dumb, does that include captain pay for OT?

RomeoBravo
10-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Does that mean we start getting captain pay on the 14th?

Another question, probably dumb, does that include captain pay for OT?

For captain pay, it is immediately upon being awarded a Captain status, which occurs when the Final Bid award is released.

For OT flown on or after your award date, yes CA pay rates apply.

SilentLurker
10-07-2018, 01:16 PM
For captain pay, it is immediately upon being awarded a Captain status, which occurs when the Final Bid award is released.

For OT flown on or after your award date, yes CA pay rates apply.

I donít know about you, but that to me is the gem in the pudding pop.

If your an FO with some seniority, while awaiting on your CA training class date. Enjoy your seniority, choice of OT pickings, days off, and overall QOL. If displaced, you can really make a killing with OT pay, until upgrade, enjoy the holidays coming on CA pay.

RomeoBravo
10-07-2018, 01:19 PM
I donít know about you, but that to me is the gem in the pudding pop.

If your an FO with some seniority, while awaiting on your CA training class date. Enjoy your seniority, choice of OT pickings, days off, and overall QOL. If displaced, you can really make a killing with OT pay, until upgrade, enjoy the holidays coming on CA pay.

Affirmative. Youíre spot on. There are FOs displaced in the July vacancy and wonít start LT till mid Nov, theyíve enjoyed a sweet ride each month on RSV + picking up OT.

As said before itís the best of times but can be worst of times. Everyoneís situation is different.

Living in base, this will be an ideal scenario to capitalize on[emoji383]

highfarfast
10-07-2018, 01:25 PM
There are FOs displaced in the July vacancy and won’t start LT till mid Nov, they’ve enjoyed a sweet ride each month on RSV + picking up OT.

And this is why no one should be vacancy bidding to captain right now. Displaced are last into training which means a longer term as a senior FO on captain pay.

Of course, if you're senior to me, I recommend vacancy bidding. ;-)

pitchattitude
10-07-2018, 01:55 PM
And this is why no one should be vacancy bidding to captain right now. Displaced are last into training which means a longer term as a senior FO on captain pay.

Of course, if you're senior to me, I recommend vacancy bidding. ;-)
I agree, this is one more reason to just have a displacement list. No preference or proffer. Since we start getting paid now with the award, no reason to try to get to training sooner, unless you just really want to start logging the PIC time. But that will get you to the bottom of the reserve list sooner as well.

Iím going to try and optimize my schedule and pay until then.

highfarfast
10-07-2018, 06:19 PM
I agree, this is one more reason to just have a displacement list. No preference or proffer. Since we start getting paid now with the award, no reason to try to get to training sooner, unless you just really want to start logging the PIC time. But that will get you to the bottom of the reserve list sooner as well.

Iím going to try and optimize my schedule and pay until then.

And bottom of the reserve list doesn't really get you more PIC time either.

Well... I guess it gets you some. Probably not in a resume building kind of way though.

I would be VERY happy if I could get displaced to the captain position of my choice and hit the line JUST senior enough to hold a line. I don't have the time to upgrade on this bid but will when they run the next one. Hopefully they'll still be displacing every qualified FO then.

GoFast8
10-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Prelim vacancy bid is out!

pitchattitude
10-12-2018, 02:46 PM
New standing vacancy posted: OCC and OCE.

RomeoBravo
10-12-2018, 03:11 PM
New standing vacancy posted: OCC and OCE.

Options...... who said this wasnít the best regional to be at!

havick206
10-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Chicago is the new LGA

uavking
10-12-2018, 05:25 PM

Sure, if getting called at 0500 on your day off because crew scheduling is fishing for junior mans is your thing (OCC).

Tomm4
10-12-2018, 06:25 PM
If you submit an RF 950 and have OCE as a displacement and no OCC can they give you OCC, if so can you decline? Not sure how RF 950 works after you submit it.

RomeoBravo
10-12-2018, 06:37 PM
If you submit an RF 950 and have OCE as a displacement and no OCC can they give you OCC, if so can you decline? Not sure how RF 950 works after you submit it.

Just like bidding. Donít list anything you donít want.

You can RF 950 for OCE only.

Tomm4
10-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Trying to complete RF 950 Bid. Entered info, however cannot get done message. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jumpseatcrawler
10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Trying to complete RF 950 Bid. Entered info, however cannot get done message. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I think this is how i do rf forms...

1-rf 950 bid
2-click “home, reset, reset” tab to fill in my name and fill all appropriate info.
3-tab till the scroller is to the right of “ < “ this character.
4-should get the “done”msg.