Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Floobs
08-03-2018, 11:01 PM
https://nextshark.com/american-airlines-cello-jay-tang

This was over a cello being in a seat or something trivial. Either way once again a captain decided to insert himself in the situation and allowed himself to be filmed giving the victory gesture as the person was being kicked off. After he claimed he was injured.

How many times does this need to be said? Unless a drunk is beating up your number one there is zero reason to ever leave your seat in these situations.

hilltopflyer
08-04-2018, 02:10 AM
So they bought a ticket for the instrument and flew down with it from ord. Why did they say no on the way back? But what an idiot giving the peace sign while they were leaving (if that picture is legit)

partypilot1
08-04-2018, 04:01 AM
I think he is saying 2 seats are open

Sliceback
08-04-2018, 04:11 AM
I think he is saying 2 seats are open

Exactly. Filler

captjns
08-04-2018, 04:27 AM
From the American Airlines Website.

Were Captain Chaos and the F/A on biffy breaks when the instructor covered this subject about musical instruments, as carry on baggage, during basic indoc.:rolleyes:

Paperboi
08-04-2018, 05:15 AM
Yeah he did purchase a seat for cello but AA claims 737 is too small and unsafe for it to be stowed there. No one told him when he booked ticket that 737 was excluded from this policy until his wife was removed. I feel pretty bad for them. Not right at all. I hope they make it up to them but something tells me they'll be flying on our competitors in ORD now.

captjns
08-04-2018, 05:20 AM
Yeah he did purchase a seat for cello but AA claims 737 is too small and unsafe for it to be stowed there. No one told him when he booked ticket that 737 was excluded from this policy until his wife was removed. I feel pretty bad for them. Not right at all. I hope they make it up to them but something tells me they'll be flying on our competitors in ORD now.

Interesting... I could not find information on aircraft excluded from the carryon baggage program.

Paperboi
08-04-2018, 05:27 AM
Read the last line on picture you posted above. It says cannot be over 165 lbs and must meet sizing restrictions based of specific aircraft. Talk about fine print. Not clear for passengers at all.

hilltopflyer
08-04-2018, 06:28 AM
What’s crazy is when I flew for American connection we took them on a 145 so I’m not sure why a 737 would be too small. Especially when they took a 737 down from Chicago.

vessbot
08-04-2018, 07:00 AM
Even more tragicomical is if the first leg the cello flew on was on a 737.

trip
08-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Why make this job more difficult then it needs to be? Stuff the cello in and let’s go!

Milk Man
08-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Cellos weigh 165 plus? I don’t think one does. I think CA made a boo boo

402DRVR
08-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Best thing about this job is the bullet proof (allegedly) and locked cockpit door. Perhaps it should be used early and often and we could stay out of the headlines.

Dolphinflyer
08-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Since they already approve of a 150lb unrestrained miniature emotional support pony on the floor in the first bulkhead row of coach, my GAS factor in a case like this wouldn't even spark one brain neuron.

Stratapilot
08-04-2018, 05:50 PM
#flyingwhiletalented

RI830
08-04-2018, 07:08 PM
The AAmerican OrchestrAAl Group was offended at the musical skill of this said chello. Said chello must be removed pursuant “nAAtive law” 1465/5.9. Harrumph...harrumph.

Peace out..... this is my 737!

Floobs
08-04-2018, 09:40 PM
Why make this job more difficult then it needs to be? Stuff the cello in and let’s go!

No kidding these are the same kinds of people that delay a flight because the count is off by one

450knotOffice
08-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Jeez Louise, man. There’s so much one sided drama in that article.

That was certainly no “Victory” sign. It was a signal to someone on the jetway for TWO.

I’m guessing that the Cello was impossible to be securely stowed in that seat in the hard case with a seatbelt - even WITH the extender. Just because the lady got it down to MIA doesn’t mean that somebody else won’t decide that it’s not secured properly and safely on another flight. What if there’d have been some notable turbulence on the flight and the Cello had gotten loose and hurt another passenger?

There’s almost always more than one side to a story.

captjns
08-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Jeez Louise, man. There’s so much one sided drama in that article.

That was certainly no “Victory” sign. It was a signal to someone on the jetway for TWO.

I’m guessing that the Cello was impossible to be securely stowed in that seat in the hard case with a seatbelt - even WITH the extender. Just because the lady got it down to MIA doesn’t mean that somebody else won’t decide that it’s not secured properly and safely on another flight. What if there’d have been some notable turbulence on the flight and the Cello had gotten loose and hurt another passenger?

There’s almost always more than one side to a story.

During my years of airlining, I’ve had quite a few cellos, artifacts in protective cases, and other odd items as carryons in the back of my aircraft.

As far as cellos are concerned, never had any issues, even those that required seatbelt extenders. Foreign carriers I’ve flown with I/A/W their “Carry-on Baggage Programs” required that special approached carryons requiring a seat be placed in the seat next to the window.

Probably the result will be bulliten(s) issued, and training required for crews, and passenger agents, as a result of this latest episode, upon completion of AA’s internal investigation, oh and a lot of eye rolling :rolleyes:.

Qotsaautopilot
08-05-2018, 06:52 AM
I’m sure they flew down with it the first time no problem and I’m sure on the flight back some dinosaur FA decided it would be his/her mission to make this an issue.

RgrMurdock
08-05-2018, 07:10 AM
A cello will absolutely fit on a 737. Whats more dangerous a seat belted cello or a lap child?

450knotOffice
08-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Why are you all so quick to hang this crew without having been there, and based only on the Social Media rantings of the passenger?

Man, talk about piling on and judging without having anywhere near all the facts.

But, I shouldn’t be surprised, I suppose. This IS APC, after all.:rolleyes:

Rama
08-05-2018, 09:04 AM
If you can't take a cello on a 737, you probably shouldn't take 350 pound pax as well.

Baradium
08-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Why are you all so quick to hang this crew without having been there, and based only on the Social Media rantings of the passenger?

Man, talk about piling on and judging without having anywhere near all the facts.

But, I shouldn’t be surprised, I suppose. This IS APC, after all.:rolleyes:

The OP of this thread seems to be trying to approach any possible story with as much disdain for the crew as possible judging from the two threads posted second guessing CA decision making without all the details.

Keizer Soze
08-05-2018, 09:31 AM
§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

Or do we want to just ignore this and let social media dictate how we operate?

I’m not saying I agree with the Captain for not carrying the cello but 91.3 says he has a right and responsibility to make that decision.

captjns
08-05-2018, 09:51 AM
§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

Or do we want to just ignore this and let social media dictate how we operate?

I’m not saying I agree with the Captain for not carrying the cello but 91.3 says he has a right and responsibility to make that decision.

The PIC, under 121 Operations has the responsibility to follow the dictates of the manuals of the airline. When in doubt, OCC and or the manager on duty is contacted for clarification on issues affecting the operation. Then 91.3 will be complied with accordingly.

tomgoodman
08-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Wise managers hate to second-guess a Captain’s safety call, even if they are sure he was overcautious. Too much risk that later on some other Captain will fear being criticized and make an unsafe call.

aa73
08-05-2018, 10:43 AM
The PIC, under 121 Operations has the responsibility to follow the dictates of the manuals of the airline. When in doubt, OCC and or the manager on duty is contacted for clarification on issues affecting the operation. Then 91.3 will be complied with accordingly.

All well and good. But at the end of that process, if the PIC is still not comfortable with the decision in the interest of safety, it’s his/her call. Been there many times. As 450ktoffice accurately stated, there is more to this story than what the passenger vented on social media... there always is.

full of luv
08-05-2018, 02:12 PM

But your competitor in ORD breaks guitars....so quickly we forget!

https://youtu.be/5YGc4zOqozo

captjns
08-05-2018, 02:52 PM
All well and good. But at the end of that process, if the PIC is still not comfortable with the decision in the interest of safety, it’s his/her call. Been there many times. As 450ktoffice accurately stated, there is more to this story than what the passenger vented on social media... there always is.

That’s OK... At least he’s not alone in the decision making process. The old saying goes... “Get as many people as you can in bed with you”.

CALFO
08-05-2018, 03:31 PM
.....meanwhile, there are two very happy commuters out there.....

aa73
08-05-2018, 06:37 PM
That’s OK... At least he’s not alone in the decision making process. The old saying goes... “Get as many people as you can in bed with you”.

Absolutely.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1