Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Airline to Guard

In2theBlue
08-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Hi guys, I mostly read of the Guard guys working on getting onboard at the airlines. What about the other way around? I am a current airline guy and have always wanted to join a Guard unit. The unit I am looking at is a fighter unit but I honestly don't care what the unit flies. For you current or past Guard pilots, do the units like to see non former military, current airline pilots in the application stack? Also, a lot of vacancies state that start of UPT has to begin before 28 and some say 30. This particular unit says 30 but "encourages" everyone to apply because waivers can be made. What are the chances of that actually happening? I am currently 30, has this dream slipped away for me? Thanks!

BeatNavy
08-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Hi guys, I mostly read of the Guard guys working on getting onboard at the airlines. What about the other way around? I am a current airline guy and have always wanted to join a Guard unit. The unit I am looking at is a fighter unit but I honestly don't care what the unit flies. For you current or past Guard pilots, do the units like to see non former military, current airline pilots in the application stack? Also, a lot of vacancies state that start of UPT has to begin before 28 and some say 30. This particular unit says 30 but "encourages" everyone to apply because waivers can be made. What are the chances of that actually happening? I am currently 30, has this dream slipped away for me? Thanks!

Iím an airline guy (prior army), several years older than you, and got hired at a fighter unit. They also hired a 32 year old non prior service lawyer who had some GA flying experience. I think it just depends on the unit, the hiring guy(s), and largely you. A heavy reserve unit just hired a 36 year old non-prior service guy with very little flight time. Be ready for a lot of Noís. I had a lot before I got the nod. Odds arenít great when there are plenty of qualified 23-27 year old applicants for each slot (especially fighters). But certainly possible in this environment.

sourdough44
08-06-2018, 06:08 AM
Go right to the horses mouth. That means, go to the Guard unit in question, ask, and apply. Check other units if able.

In2theBlue
08-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Thanks for quick response gentleman. Can someone point me to a list of medical dequals? I think I found the official doc online but it keeps saying a bad link.

BeatNavy
08-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Baseops Forums (http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/)

Go there for good medical info (and AF/ANG info in general). Check the medical forum. Use the search function as itís probably already asked, but if not, a guy with the handle StuckInDayton (wright patt flight doc) will answer.

As for medical pubs, look at AFI 48-123 (medical exam and standards) for flying specific medical standards, and DoDi 6130.03 (medical standards for appointment, enlistment, and induction).

Ticon
08-06-2018, 01:20 PM

No would be the time to apply, I have been seeing and hearing of many age waivers. If you want it, get started on the tests yesterday to have your application ready soon. After selection you have a good year to year and a half of processing before TFOT and UPT. That time varies unit to unit.

I am a PM away if you have any questions.

In2theBlue
08-07-2018, 05:54 AM
You guys are all awesome, thanks for the great info! BeatNavy, which unit ended up picking you up?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1