Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Does which regional matter?

bscott58d
08-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Hello all,

Being a Texas born and bred I have a special affinity towards SW as I am building time on the regional side. One question so of my current cohorts have been discussing is the best way to be marketable at the next level. Given that Iíd appreciate some input on a few items.

1: Does coming from one regional vs another have any impact (AWA 200 vs Republic 175 for example)

2. College degree, yes obliviously recommended if not 100% req, but does the major matter (Embry Riddle Avaition vs Economics at Purdue)

3. Other standouts like volunteering, letters of rec, military etc...big impact or just so so?

Thanks for the responses in advance.

at6d
08-04-2018, 08:41 PM
1: Does coming from one regional vs another have any impact (AWA 200 vs Republic 175 for example)

I donít think so for SWA. There seem to be a lot of Skywest guys in PHX, but a good variety of experience anywhere is what matters.

2. College degree, yes obliviously recommended if not 100% req, but does the major matter (Embry Riddle Avaition vs Economics at Purdue)

A Bachelorís degree would rank higher than an Associateís. The degree checks a box, the school doesnít. My opinion only.

3. Other standouts like volunteering, letters of rec, military etc...big impact or just so so?

SWA likes to see all mentioned. I canít comment about military service, but for sure community involvement and letters are very important.

Smooth at FL450
08-05-2018, 06:54 AM
SWA doesn't care what regional you come from. If this is your ultimate goal, work on your degree while flying at your regional. The regional that offers the fastest upgrade would be the one I'd suggest.

SWA definitely appreciates military service, but then you're looking at a significant time commitment that will slow your progress to SWA down.

So it just depends on your preferences.

BarrySeal
08-05-2018, 08:25 AM
SWA doesn't care what regional you come from. If this is your ultimate goal, work on your degree while flying at your regional. The regional that offers the fastest upgrade would be the one I'd suggest.

SWA definitely appreciates military service, but then you're looking at a significant time commitment that will slow your progress to SWA down.

So it just depends on your preferences.

I believe all of them are represented. the famous "Eagle Mafia" (now Envoy) and obviously Skywest are well represented. Some theory supposes that "alot of Skywest" because "Skywest is similar to SWA" but other supposition is that if the largest regional on the planet is, well, Skywest, then alot of Skywest dudes are at all the majors.

I would probably go with a guaranteed interview or flow regional versus not. That way you have a worst-case backup plan if you never get called as an off-the-street hire.

Smokey23
08-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Hopefully many captains that you are/were flying with at your current regional are getting hired at SWA. Several internal letters of recommendation from recent co-workers really helps. Best of luck to you!

barabek
08-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Hopefully many captains that you are/were flying with at your current regional are getting hired at SWA. Several internal letters of recommendation from recent co-workers really helps. Best of luck to you!

They help after your interview. They won't help you get selected for the interview.

Peacock
08-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Go to a regional you donít have to commute to, and/or one with flow.

HarryV10
08-22-2018, 06:45 AM
I was in new hire class in March. Half of my class was military, a quarter was corporate, and the rest was regional. I came from Endeavor Air. There were several Skywest, one Air Wisconsin, one Republic, and two from Mesa. While there are a bunch of Skywest guys, they do hire people from everywhere.

I had an aviation Bachelors Degree from Tarleton. I had about 7 rec letters uploaded with my resume and cover letter, not including my SWA recs. Once selected to interview, I had 3 SWA recs. I did Career Takeoff interview prep. 9500 total time, 7000 pic. Good luck, stay after it, and youíll be happy you did.

Squallrider
08-22-2018, 08:44 AM
They do like SkyWest people but st the same time I think relative to being hired from another regional chances are the same. Remember SkyWest has around 5200 pilots, so of course compared to another regional there may be a few more in class.

The most important thing regardless of where you want to work is to get Turbine PIC and differentiate yourself by doing stuff like check airman, recruiting , safety coordinator etc etc. so many people have PIC but few have stuff beyond that. being a ground instructor is usually attainable early on at any regional if you want it and can lead to sim instructor etc

fenix1
08-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Are there any regionals that have a "stigma" attached to them at WN and make it extremely difficult to get hired, even for folks who look really good on paper?

Mesa, for example, takes a beating from its detractors, who claim pilots from Mesa struggle to get hired at The Big 6 & elsewhere because of "Mesa's reputation." Others (often Mesa pilots) claim that the skills gained from managing all the challenges, as PIC, that Mesa thrusts onto them actually makes Mesa pilots more qualified than their peers at other regionals.

The answer to this question may well be different at each legacy/major/LCC, but if anyone is good enough to shine any light on WN's thought process here, I would greatly appreciate it - I'd like to be as competitive as possible at WN and I haven't yet reached the point in my career where I've been hired by a regional. Understood that things easily could/will change before I'm hirable by WN, but any insight on the current WN mindset would be great to get.

ZapBrannigan
08-30-2018, 05:21 PM
No. The biggest problem Regional pilots face (my opinion only fwiw) is figuring out how to differentiate themselves from every other pilot in a blue suit and a red tie with an identical background and identical experience.

I think thatís why the corporate and military folks have been so successful. They have different stories to tell that involve service (to the customer or the country) and sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenix1
08-30-2018, 10:56 PM
Thank you and that makes sense. When it comes to differentiating oneself while at a regional, what have you seen WN value most? (Volunteer activities? CP/LCA/training position at regional? Masters degree? TPIC time? Anything else??)

No. The biggest problem Regional pilots face (my opinion only fwiw) is figuring out how to differentiate themselves from every other pilot in a blue suit and a red tie with an identical background and identical experience.

I think thatís why the corporate and military folks have been so successful. They have different stories to tell that involve service (to the customer or the country) and sacrifice.

at6d
08-31-2018, 12:56 AM
Thank you and that makes sense. When it comes to differentiating oneself while at a regional, what have you seen WN value most? (Volunteer activities? CP/LCA/training position at regional? Masters degree? TPIC time? Anything else??)

Itís not just checking boxes that makes the difference. Itís the experiences within each one that you reveal during the interview that will paint the picture of you as a candidate.

You wonít find a specific answer to your question.

TEX2
08-31-2018, 05:44 AM
There are a bunch of former Skywest pilots in my new hire class, and instructors here have noted that the company's pilots have a very good reputation here. They've even noted that we're going to drain them of all their pilots soon. FWIW, I wouldn't choose Skywest over another company if that other company is a much better fit for your life situation. But all other things being equal, I don't see how having Skywest on your resume could hurt here at SWA.

Good luck!

PotatoChip
08-31-2018, 06:12 AM
There are a bunch of former Skywest pilots in my new hire class, and instructors here have noted that the company's pilots have a very good reputation here. They've even noted that we're going to drain them of all their pilots soon. FWIW, I wouldn't choose Skywest over another company if that other company is a much better fit for your life situation. But all other things being equal, I don't see how having Skywest on your resume could hurt here at SWA.

Good luck!

SkyWest has 4500+ pilots. Southwest isnít draining them of all their pilots. Give me a break.

CaptYoda
08-31-2018, 07:03 AM
In my opinion, it's about the individual and not the airline you come from. Just because you come from XYZ airline does not grant you any special privileges or for that matter any negative sentiment.

fenix1
08-31-2018, 04:39 PM
Thanks to all for the help and thatís encouraging to hear that individuals & individual attributes matter more to WN than established pipelines/closed pipelines or checking particular boxes!

bscott58d
08-31-2018, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback all. Will for sure plan accordingly as I progress on the regional side. Good the military experience helps, but in s few years that may even be too common.

TEX2
09-15-2018, 02:04 PM
SkyWest has 4500+ pilots. Southwest isnít draining them of all their pilots. Give me a break.

It was obviously a joke since they've hired so many of their pilots. There's your break.

badpilot4life
09-16-2018, 12:36 AM

Yawn, nothing special about military or corp folks in any way whatsoever.

PowerShift
09-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Yawn, nothing special about military or corp folks in any way whatsoever.

No, there is not. But itís easier for them to do management type jobs when they live in base, which most corporate/mil folks do.

SWA (IMO) does not care what your experience is, if you meet the mins (their secret computer mins that is) you get triggered for an interview. I honestly believe the job is yours to loose once you interview.

SWA want to hire a certain type of person, and we can only speculate what that secret sauce is, but from my experience itís people with something or things on their resumeí that stand out. Check airman, chief pilot, safety officer, maintenance duties, whatever.

My interview had 2 ďtell me about a timeĒ questions. The rest was ďwhat was your hardest challenge as a safety officerĒ. ďEver fail someone giving a check rideĒ? What was the mission your company did? How did you build team enthusiasm?

SWA has a brief period to decide if you are what they want as a PERSON, not as a pilot. Itís your job to convey to them who and what you are.

I had zero airline, zero jet time when I was hired. My honest opinion is SWA want a person who will promote their culture and business model, they will teach you how to fly if need be.

ďPilots are a dime a dozen, a good employee is damn near impossible to find, but we found 24 of themĒ, was an intro by someone during training.

Skyward
09-16-2018, 06:38 PM

My honest opinion is SWA want a person who will promote their culture and business model, they will teach you how to fly if need be.

Yep. It may not be quite the same airline as described in the book ďNUTSĒ, but Iím convinced the ďhire for attitude, train for skillĒ philosophy is in place.

badpilot4life
09-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Yup, cool guy with story that doesn't have a panic attack = hired. MIL,CIV,CORP guy that freaks is done and done. More MIL dude spaz out than CIV btw.

badpilot4life
09-18-2018, 09:04 PM
No, there is not. But it’s easier for them to do management type jobs when they live in base, which most corporate/mil folks do.

SWA (IMO) does not care what your experience is, if you meet the mins (their secret computer mins that is) you get triggered for an interview. I honestly believe the job is yours to loose once you interview.

SWA want to hire a certain type of person, and we can only speculate what that secret sauce is, but from my experience it’s people with something or things on their resume’ that stand out. Check airman, chief pilot, safety officer, maintenance duties, whatever.

My interview had 2 “tell me about a time” questions. The rest was “what was your hardest challenge as a safety officer”. “Ever fail someone giving a check ride”? What was the mission your company did? How did you build team enthusiasm?

SWA has a brief period to decide if you are what they want as a PERSON, not as a pilot. It’s your job to convey to them who and what you are.

I had zero airline, zero jet time when I was hired. My honest opinion is SWA want a person who will promote their culture and business model, they will teach you how to fly if need be.

“Pilots are a dime a dozen, a good employee is damn near impossible to find, but we found 24 of them”, was an intro by someone during training.

corp/mil/civ all the same too me. some are as3holes some are not, more as3holes and horrible pilots from the air force academy. that is just life though. AFA "I flew tankers/fake fighters" like my buzzz cut? oh jesus, flunky here we go.

Boondoggle
09-20-2018, 05:23 AM
corp/mil/civ all the same too me. some are as3holes some are not, more as3holes and horrible pilots from the air force academy. that is just life though. AFA "I flew tankers/fake fighters" like my buzzz cut? oh jesus, flunky here we go.

What are fake fighters? Iím just looking to get educated as you seem like an intelligent thinker.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1