Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Complex time for Comm SEL

FlyingE24
08-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Any recommendations on the cheapest way to get the 10 hours of complex time for the commercial certificate?

The only complex plane that I have found in my area is $210/hr through a flight school, which will probably end up costing around $2,500 just for these ten hours.

If anyone has some guidance in obtaining these 10 hours, I would appreciate it. I am located in the Atlanta area.

IDIOTPILOT
08-09-2018, 03:41 PM
You could wait two weeks and just use the new TAA aircraft regs.

FlyingE24
08-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Just looked this up, thanks. I was unaware of this change, I appreciate the help.

dera
08-09-2018, 06:06 PM
Any recommendations on the cheapest way to get the 10 hours of complex time for the commercial certificate?

The only complex plane that I have found in my area is $210/hr through a flight school, which will probably end up costing around $2,500 just for these ten hours.

If anyone has some guidance in obtaining these 10 hours, I would appreciate it. I am located in the Atlanta area.

Drive to Daytona Beach, rent an Arrow for 125 an hr, job done.
Air America FC.

rickair7777
08-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Legacy WB CA pay is probably at least $500K. So two weeks off the back end of your career is worth about $20K.

Just stirring the pot haha, probably better to save a few bucks now.

kingsnake2
08-10-2018, 05:17 AM
Legacy WB CA pay is probably at least $500K. So two weeks off the back end of your career is worth about $20K.

Just stirring the pot haha, probably better to save a few bucks now.

But you have to discount that by 30-40 years for time value of money.

rickair7777
08-10-2018, 06:57 AM
But you have to discount that by 30-40 years for time value of money.

That's true as well.

BobSacamano
08-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Just looked this up, thanks. I was unaware of this change, I appreciate the help.

Just a heads up, you should be able to find something like an Arrow for maybe less than $150/hour. A TAA could well cost more than that.

Pilsung
08-10-2018, 03:43 PM
If the airlines are your eventual goal then consider doing the 10 hours of complex towards the end of your commercial stuff in a multi like a Seminole, then do your multi checkride immediately after your commercial- more expensive now but cheaper in the long run & kills 2 birds...

155mm
08-10-2018, 05:16 PM

Join the Civil Air Patrol, they have G1000 T182.

gtph
08-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Not sure what side of town you're on, but Advanced Aviation at LZU has an Arrow for $165/hr wet (or at least that's what it was back in Jan/Feb).

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1