Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Open time

Noleone
08-11-2018, 07:06 AM
Hey, just curious: for those that would like to make some extra money each month, are you able to pick up any open time at 150% or more? Or is it all paid at your current rate? Thanks for the help

Tpinks
08-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Hey, just curious: for those that would like to make some extra money each month, are you able to pick up any open time at 150% or more? Or is it all paid at your current rate? Thanks for the help

Open time is paid at 100%. In reality though since SAP went live with composite lines, there really isn't much in open time. If they have trips, they will call and offer a flag pay which is 150% for yellow and 200% for red.

Noleone
08-11-2018, 09:46 AM
While lots of other carriers are short staffed and offering 150-200% for open time, Republic just seems to be cruising along. Probably speaks volumes about your contract and QOL. That’s a good sign. Thanks for the helpful info.

DiveAndDrive
08-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does the "no juniormanning" thing work? In a past life, I was a crew scheduler for a 121 airline. We had to juniorman quite often. I'm not complaining about the no juniormanning thing. But at the same time, my operational side is going "we have to cover this trips!!" How do they do it? Let's just say there's a flight that people are legal for, but no one is picking it up. It's an hour or two from departure. Will they just throw more and more money at the problem until someone picks it up, or will they just crew cancel it?

4V14T0R
08-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does the "no juniormanning" thing work? In a past life, I was a crew scheduler for a 121 airline. We had to juniorman quite often. I'm not complaining about the no juniormanning thing. But at the same time, my operational side is going "we have to cover this trips!!" How do they do it? Let's just say there's a flight that people are legal for, but no one is picking it up. It's an hour or two from departure. Will they just throw more and more money at the problem until someone picks it up, or will they just crew cancel it?

Reserves and cold calls for open time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
08-11-2018, 06:09 PM
And that cold call will be at 150% or 200% pay. The pilot group as a whole is pretty good at refusing the 150% offer so crew scheduling will offer 200% in their first offer more often. When they call on your day off you are not required to answer the phone or or accept the trip.

Noleone
08-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Is that trip put into the system then where anyone can pick it up as “flag pay” for 150-200%?

TheWeatherman
08-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Is that trip put into the system then where anyone can pick it up as “flag pay” for 150-200%?
The contract has language where they can do that, but they never do. Everything in open time is regular pay. So for the higher pay you can't chase it, you just have to hope for a call.

DiveAndDrive
08-11-2018, 07:17 PM
You can’t even call scheduling and say “hey. If something pops up, give me a call”?

knewyork
08-11-2018, 08:07 PM
You can’t even call scheduling and say “hey. If something pops up, give me a call”?

You can definitely do that. However they may not offer incentivized pay unless you told them to call you only if they’re offering it.

Geardownflaps30
08-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Oh. If you play nice with scheduling you can DEFINITELY do this. Also can arrange hotels, occasionally a positive space etc etc. just depends on your history with them. They DO keep notes in their scheduling file about who plays favorites or not and who works with them or not. Lol

You can also be put on the call list, can specify your commuting base to narrow down calls (and possibly get paid to commute) or you can be put on the “do not call” list.

zanfarroway
08-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Oh. If you play nice with scheduling you can DEFINITELY do this. Also can arrange hotels, occasionally a positive space etc etc. just depends on your history with them. They DO keep notes in their scheduling file about who plays favorites or not and who works with them or not. Lol

You can also be put on the call list, can specify your commuting base to narrow down calls (and possibly get paid to commute) or you can be put on the “do not call” list.

How do you do that?

Captain Slow
08-13-2018, 04:31 PM
It’s an option in flica. I don’t remember where.

Sheide
08-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Former scheduler here.
We make notes on everything on crewtrac , scheduling does not use flica. comments can go on your profile and individual days. I absolutely knew who to call when I needed something.

Scheduling will help you if you help them , but also know you're just helping the bottom line. That's why open time is not immediately red pay like it use to be.
But if you know them, they'll hook you up with red pay.

Noleone
08-14-2018, 04:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the great information.

Geardownflaps30
08-14-2018, 06:31 AM
How do you do that?

By telling crew scheduling your commuting city and if something opens up on a day you’re commuting they might be able to give you a call.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1