Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

N311JB
08-11-2018, 07:40 PM
My father in law retired today from AA, former TWA. 40 years of service. I was lucky to be in the jumpseat. Unfortunately STL CFR couldnít ďaccommodateĒ any trucks for his hose down. Just a regular taxi to the gate. Obviously a disappointment, I was pretty ****ed. Get someone out there with squirt guns at least He played it off as a pro. Itís something we probably all fantasize about. Just wondering what you guys\girls would think if they werenít available? Such a let down after 40 years and you canít a nice send off. Discuss

galaxy flyer
08-11-2018, 07:46 PM
My office did it for me when I retired, to the point of generating a flight so I could taxi in! It was great to be met by everyone including the chief of the Departmrnt.

GF

SeamusTheHound
08-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Did you call a waambulance? ��

It’s like insisting that servers at restaurants come sing “Happy Birthday” to every birthday guest. While it’s nice that they can occasionally do that, it’s not their job.

Congrats on the retirement.

madmax757
08-11-2018, 09:23 PM
I was thinking about the logistics. How do you coordinate this ? Do you land and call ground and ask for a water salute or do you plan it a week or so ahead - ie call the airport fire chief directly and request it and give the flight details?

Kinda like reservations for a party at a restaurant. Anyone with experience on this .....

Congrats on making it 40 years at the same place. - more or less ...

DENpilot
08-11-2018, 11:25 PM
You do realize that in the coming years, there is set to be an average of 5+/day retirements amongst all carriers. Do you expect the trucks to be out there for every single one, every single day? That is a lot of hose-downs.

a2cbus
08-12-2018, 02:31 AM
At least one airport (Iím looking at you, DTW) has stopped doing it. I heard they caused some engine damage.

I was on the jumpseat for my Dadís last flight and they did it on taxi out. Thanks LGA!

badflaps
08-12-2018, 06:07 AM
My final canceled, I deadheaded back watching "When Harry Met Sally" with a tea cup of Scotch. (In uniform, did a body good.):D

C37AFE
08-12-2018, 06:12 AM
My final flight in the military was the most disappointing event of my life. Got the hose down but had a spiteful wife that didnít bring out the kids. Hopefully the airline retirement ends up better

Klondike Bear
08-12-2018, 06:27 AM
My final flight in the military was the most disappointing event of my life. Got the hose down but had a spiteful wife that didnít bring out the kids. Hopefully the airline retirement ends up better

This is awful. Iím sorry and Iím sure your next wife will be better.

galaxy flyer
08-12-2018, 06:40 AM
I was thinking about the logistics. How do you coordinate this ? Do you land and call ground and ask for a water salute or do you plan it a week or so ahead - ie call the airport fire chief directly and request it and give the flight details?

Kinda like reservations for a party at a restaurant. Anyone with experience on this .....

Congrats on making it 40 years at the same place. - more or less ...

Call the FD ahead, pass on the flight info and the request. If they will do it, they take care of the rest. My fini was in January in NE, so the first time was cancelled when the FD told the office, “it’s 10 degrees, what do you think will happen?” A few days later, it warmed up.

You can also call an ARTCC or Gander OAC and they can send a a surprise CPDLC congratulations. Kinda cool.

C37AFE,

Don’t feel bad, my fini in the F-100 was a flight to the Boneyard, my fini in the A-10, I got to eject and in the C-5, I got a HQ AMC Stan/Eval check. He took pity on me seeing as I was leaving at the end of the week.

GF

GuardPolice
08-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Take a garden hose and let him drive trough the spray as he pulls into his driveway. [emoji1787]

tomgoodman
08-12-2018, 08:01 AM
My final flight would have gone completely unnoticed, but the F/O ratted me out. :p

labbats
08-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Itís a bummer but Iím sure given the choice he would have taken you in the Jumpseat over a water cannon any day of the week. Just think of it like that.

DarinFred
08-12-2018, 08:30 AM
I think Iíll just not show up for my fini.

at6d
08-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Did the FO at least call for an extra wind check?

hilltopflyer
08-12-2018, 08:57 AM
I think Iíll just not show up for my fini.

I love this. Bang out sick and stick it to the man on the last flight haha

PotatoChip
08-12-2018, 09:26 AM
I get the disappointment and wonít take that away from you, but the last thing I fantasize about is a water canon salute. I just want to leave my flight case in the seat, get up, and walk out. BYEEEEE.
Itís cool when they do it, but it isnít their job and they donít necessarily care about some rich airline pilot retiring.

jcountry
08-12-2018, 09:31 AM
I get the disappointment and wonít take that away from you, but the last thing I fantasize about is a water canon salute. I just want to leave my flight case in the seat, get up, and walk out. BYEEEEE.
Itís cool when they do it, but it isnít their job and they donít necessarily care about some rich airline pilot retiring.

I hope I get to retire from this airline.

And I pray I will be able to afford a decent retirement.

You never know in this industry

NYC Pilot
08-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Rich airline pilot? Now that's funny. Maybe the Fedex or UPS guys since they have a real pension but everyone else is worried how they will be able to make it in their golden years. Having $1 million in the 401k is hardly rich. Comfortable and secure maybe but far from the true meaning of rich.

PotatoChip
08-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Rich airline pilot? Now that's funny. Maybe the Fedex or UPS guys since they have a real pension but everyone else is worried how they will be able to make it in their golden years. Having $1 million in the 401k is hardly rich. Comfortable and secure maybe but far from the true meaning of rich.

ďRetired from AA/TWA after 40 years of service.Ē
At a bare minimum thatís over $300k/year the last five years. More money that 95% of Americans (just a statistical guess, probably even higher). And certainly more money that the CFR firefighter on the hose.
If youíre at a legacy right now and worried how youíre going to make it in your golden years youíre doing it wrong. (And Iím sorry to those that lost pensions 10 years ago, that sucked, bad.)

CrispyBacon
08-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Shut up boomer. If you didn't put over a million in the bank in your last 5 years prior to retirement then **** off. Quit spending money on your own vanity and you would have had more. Your selfish whining for more money to feed your disgusting ego is pathetic. Hurry up and retire. This industry needs done with your sorry asses.

100% READY TO OVER THROW ALPO

jcountry
08-12-2018, 10:18 AM
ďRetired from AA/TWA after 40 years of service.Ē
At a bare minimum thatís over $300k/year the last five years. More money that 95% of Americans (just a statistical guess, probably even higher). And certainly more money that the CFR firefighter on the hose.
If youíre at a legacy right now and worried how youíre going to make it in your golden years youíre doing it wrong. (And Iím sorry to those that lost pensions 10 years ago, that sucked, bad.)

I think you may be underestimating how expensive retirement will be.

Post 9-11 is a different world. For many decades, folks had dependable pensions which folks planned on. That plan was not unreasonable.

It is unreasonable to expect that poor souls in that situation can save enough for a comfortable retirement in the last handful of years.

The vast majority of legacy pilots had their pensions dumped out by crooked ass bankruptcy courts.

Excargodog
08-12-2018, 10:36 AM
C37AFE,

Donít feel bad, my fini in the F-100 was a flight to the Boneyard, my fini in the A-10, I got to eject and in the C-5, I got a HQ AMC Stan/Eval check. He took pity on me seeing as I was leaving at the end of the week.

GF

Jeez, keep your distance please...

RJSAviator76
08-12-2018, 11:03 AM
The vast majority of legacy pilots had their pensions dumped out by crooked ass bankruptcy courts.

Crooked courts? As one of those who had his pension gutted... I squarely blame ALPA for letting them go without a fight.

Every single pilot group gave concessions in order to save the pension/A-plan. When the management at all airlines wanted to take pensions and threatened 1113c as means to do it, ALPA should have called for a strike vote and threatened a nationwide SOS. Some things should have been sacred and A-plans/pension was one of those things.

Instead, ALPA folded like a house of cards and without so much as a whimper. But hey... they did score a big win later and they "took it back" when they agreed to support raising the retirement age to 65 so they "can have a say in how it's implemented..."

And you wanna talk about crooks?

Swedish Blender
08-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Shut up boomer. If you didn't put over a million in the bank in your last 5 years prior to retirement then **** off. Quit spending money on your own vanity and you would have had more. Your selfish whining for more money to feed your disgusting ego is pathetic. Hurry up and retire. This industry needs done with your sorry asses.

There is no way you could put 1 mil of your own money towards retirement in 5 years if you are making 300k. Uncle Sam takes too big of a chunk.

To the OP- I agree with another poster. Be happy you were able to ride the jumpseat. There are numerous pilots who take their last flight without knowing itís their last flight.

galaxy flyer
08-12-2018, 12:50 PM
When the management at all airlines wanted to take pensions and threatened 1113c as means to do it, ALPA should have called for a strike vote and threatened a nationwide SOS.

Illegal strike! That would have worked real wellójail, mega-fines and imposed contracts worse than proposed.

GF

CrispyBacon
08-12-2018, 01:09 PM
There is no way you could put 1 mil of your own money towards retirement in 5 years if you are making 300k. Uncle Sam takes too big of a chunk.

To the OP- I agree with another poster. Be happy you were able to ride the jumpseat. There are numerous pilots who take their last flight without knowing itís their last flight.

Basic napkin math tells me at 2017 tax rates
$300,000 gross =
~$217,000 net

a conservative ror at 5% = $227,000
- 27,0000 (~$2250 / month for basic living expenses for a 2 person house)
=
$200,000 * 5 years =
$1,000,000

and thats if your wife didnt work.

Totally possible boomer, your ego was just too big and you had to "generation me" the **** of your keeping up with the jone's lifestyle. Guaranteed you had more earnings then most American's can dream of, yet you selfishly fed your own ego's for decades and now you want more.

NYC Pilot
08-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Well, I am 40 years old so not a boomer and yes I do have a million saved up but from my mostly tax free major airline job overseas. Oh, I forgot to mention. I also own a paid off condo in NYC so I think I did well for my age.

N311JB
08-12-2018, 01:42 PM
In hindsight we should have declared an emergency. That will get em out there. I lobbied for the fly thru the STL arch too. Go big. But the approach control was awesome. They had him a 360around the Arch at MVA

Dougdrvr
08-12-2018, 01:53 PM
My final flight would have gone completely unnoticed, but the F/O ratted me out. :p
I called in sick. Really.

Dougdrvr
08-12-2018, 01:59 PM
I called in sick. Really.

What was really fun, the last 4 day trip I was on (which I knew would be my last) it was great fun after every city, ripping out the approach charts for that leg, wadding them up and throwing them in the trash.

RJSAviator76
08-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Illegal strike! That would have worked real wellójail, mega-fines and imposed contracts worse than proposed.

GF

Sorry, hogwash. 1113c refers to abrogation of union contracts via bankruptcy court. As such, work action can/should have at least been attempted legally. The mere fact that ALPA didnít even try fighting it speaks volumes.

Swedish Blender
08-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Basic napkin math tells me at 2017 tax rates
$300,000 gross =
~$217,000 net

a conservative ror at 5% = $227,000
- 27,0000 (~$2250 / month for basic living expenses for a 2 person house)
=
$200,000 * 5 years =
$1,000,000

and thats if your wife didnt work.

Totally possible boomer, your ego was just too big and you had to "generation me" the **** of your keeping up with the jone's lifestyle. Guaranteed you had more earnings then most American's can dream of, yet you selfishly fed your own ego's for decades and now you want more.

Because someone disagrees with you, your math is wrong btw, I automatically become a boomer. Quite the stretch. Entitled much?

300k is in the 35% threshold for AMT. That equates to 105k in federal tax. That doesnít include state, FICA, union, insurance, etc. Youíll net less than 200k.

So youíre living on $2250/month now right?

C37AFE
08-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Jeez, keep your distance please...

Yeah I got jumped on my fini to top it off as well. I guess they figured if I screwed up they wouldnít have to go through extra training. That or having to no notice some other fellow and risk taking him out. At least I liked the guy. It was a pretty good fini trip

C37AFE
08-12-2018, 02:31 PM

Yeah close to first one leaving. Did a few staff tours and she canít cope with me being gone again. I tried to prepare her.... I was honest since day one with my plans. Guess she thought sheíd change that.

galaxy flyer
08-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Sorry, hogwash. 1113c refers to abrogation of union contracts via bankruptcy court. As such, work action can/should have at least been attempted legally. The mere fact that ALPA didnít even try fighting it speaks volumes.

Youíre confusing ďreleased to self-helpĒ by the NMB and 1113c Bankruptcy Court action. A strike during BK would be a disaster. For what its worth I was on the EAL MEC during these type of discussions, but that was before 1113c.

GF

RJSAviator76
08-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Youíre confusing ďreleased to self-helpĒ by the NMB and 1113c Bankruptcy Court action. A strike during BK would be a disaster. For what its worth I was on the EAL MEC during these type of discussions, but that was before 1113c.

GF

I know you were. Iím talking about ALPA folding like a house of cards under a mere threat of 1113c after giving away the store to preserve the pensions. Total amateur hour.

Believe me, there would have been other pressures on the company if ALPA truly fought to preserve pensions and backed up that threat with strike votes. Simple notion... abrogate an ALPA contract in court to dump pensions, you no longer have pilots. Bluff, bs them, do something! Instead, we all folded worse than a cheap suit.

hilltopflyer
08-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Because someone disagrees with you, your math is wrong btw, I automatically become a boomer. Quite the stretch. Entitled much?

300k is in the 35% threshold for AMT. That equates to 105k in federal tax. That doesnít include state, FICA, union, insurance, etc. Youíll net less than 200k.

Not sure how he is living on 2250 a month. Guessing no mortgage. Then a tiny little house so low electric/gas. Eating crap cheap food at an older age so he can die quicker since 1 mil wonít last very long.

jcountry
08-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Crooked courts? As one of those who had his pension gutted... I squarely blame ALPA for letting them go without a fight.

Every single pilot group gave concessions in order to save the pension/A-plan. When the management at all airlines wanted to take pensions and threatened 1113c as means to do it, ALPA should have called for a strike vote and threatened a nationwide SOS. Some things should have been sacred and A-plans/pension was one of those things.

Instead, ALPA folded like a house of cards and without so much as a whimper. But hey... they did score a big win later and they "took it back" when they agreed to support raising the retirement age to 65 so they "can have a say in how it's implemented..."

And you wanna talk about crooks?

ALPA sucks.

But the bankruptcy system has turned into an ATM for Mgmt.

If some company goes bankrupt, mgmt has failed. They should not be collecting tens of millions each-as they screw employees, creditors, investors, and everyone else who put that money at their disposal.

Incompence and failure should not result in more money than any of us would see in 10 lifetimes

badflaps
08-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Not sure how he is living on 2250 a month. Guessing no mortgage. Then a tiny little house so low electric/gas. Eating crap cheap food at an older age so he can die quicker since 1 mil wonít last very long.

Hey! Don't knock it till you try it.... PBGC- $2334..plus tips from the washroom. GravyTrain with a little hot sauce, just like chili.:D

Myfingershurt
08-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Why do people crave recognition. Youíre a cog in the wheel. Go to work. Collect your paycheck. Retire. And know that no one outside of your personal circle cares about how many years you worked. I canít believ most pilots can even walk around with their swelled heads.

captjns
08-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Why do people crave recognition. You’re a cog in the wheel. Go to work. Collect your paycheck. Retire. And know that no one outside of your personal circle cares about how many years you worked. I can’t believ most pilots can even walk around with their swelled heads.

Not being around the industry, is an acceptable excuse for your ignorance regarding the significance of the water cannon salute.

Here are the main reasons for giving a water salute:

For a new airline company operating out of the airport for the first time;
For a new airplane operating commercially for the first time;
If the Captain of the airplane or an ATC member is retiring;
If the airline is closing down the route and its the last flight of that airline from that particular airport.

No one knows exactly when and where did water salutes in airports start. It is well known, though, that back to the days of the ocean liners it was common for fireboats and tugs to spray them with their water cannons when they were leaving or entering a port. So, water salute is not unique to airplanes alone and it is also given for ships as well. The idea must have come from there.

Albief15
08-13-2018, 02:00 AM
Call the FD ahead, pass on the flight info and the request. If they will do it, they take care of the rest. My fini was in January in NE, so the first time was cancelled when the FD told the office, ďitís 10 degrees, what do you think will happen?Ē A few days later, it warmed up.

You can also call an ARTCC or Gander OAC and they can send a a surprise CPDLC congratulations. Kinda cool.

C37AFE,

Donít feel bad, my fini in the F-100 was a flight to the Boneyard, my fini in the A-10, I got to eject and in the C-5, I got a HQ AMC Stan/Eval check. He took pity on me seeing as I was leaving at the end of the week.

GF

I do NOT want to be standing next to you when the next comet passes the Earth. Just sayin....

CrispyBacon
08-13-2018, 05:14 AM

35% is the tax burden this year. It's gone up, I used last years tax bill. I also did not include compound interest, or deductions, and other tax vehicles so that cancels out.

We easily live off $2250/month. Because we did not buy the biggest house we could qualify for, we dont have expensive toys, or luxury cars. I paid off my student loans and my mortgage, all on the combined salary of less then a regional CA. We (gasp) cook our own food most days. On trips, I dont pack food and yet, I eat better quality and healthier then almost any pilot I've ever flown with in 12 years, and drink only craft beer and still some how manage to live on less then $2300 a month with a bad shopping habit.

You know how? Because we're not entitled boomers living beyond our means and expecting a government bailout from our own stupidity.

Myfingershurt
08-13-2018, 05:38 AM
Not being around the industry, is an acceptable excuse for your ignorance regarding the significance of the water cannon salute.

Well genius, having been in this egomaniacal industry for over 13 years, none of those reasons are more than a wasteful way of saying ďlook at me!Ē And you all think millennials are bad.

CrispyBacon
08-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Well genius, having been in this egomaniacal industry for over 13 years, none of those reasons are more than a wasteful way of saying ďlook at me!Ē And you all think millennials are bad.

This. Boomers egomaniacal wastefulness is disgusting. The only water canon salute I'd given them is a golden shower. Just retire quietly, nobody will miss you.

100% READY TO OVER THROW ALPA

galaxy flyer
08-13-2018, 06:21 AM
I do NOT want to be standing next to you when the next comet passes the Earth. Just sayin....

I made up for each of those retiring from flying the Globaló10 day trip to Singapore and Australia, followed by a 10er to Israel and Italy and last real one to Lisbon and Cancun.

GF

Swedish Blender
08-13-2018, 08:40 AM
35% is the tax burden this year. It's gone up, I used last years tax bill. I also did not include compound interest, or deductions, and other tax vehicles so that cancels out.

We easily live off $2250/month. Because we did not buy the biggest house we could qualify for, we dont have expensive toys, or luxury cars. I paid off my student loans and my mortgage, all on the combined salary of less then a regional CA. We (gasp) cook our own food most days. On trips, I dont pack food and yet, I eat better quality and healthier then almost any pilot I've ever flown with in 12 years, and drink only craft beer and still some how manage to live on less then $2300 a month with a bad shopping habit.

You know how? Because we're not entitled boomers living beyond our means and expecting a government bailout from our own stupidity.

You wanted to put 1mil of your money. Now you want to add interest. Your deductions donít apply to the AMT so that doesnít count.

Must be nice to live in the middle of nowhere. A 200k mortgage for 15 years with tax and insurance is about 2k/month. I guess thatís way too much to spend.

captjns
08-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Well genius, having been in this egomaniacal industry for over 13 years, none of those reasons are more than a wasteful way of saying “look at me!” And you all think millennials are bad.

With such insight, I’m surprised you’re not a captain yet:rolleyes:. Maybe not.

Qotsaautopilot
08-13-2018, 10:17 AM
You wanted to put 1mil of your money. Now you want to add interest. Your deductions donít apply to the AMT so that doesnít count.

Must be nice to live in the middle of nowhere. A 200k mortgage for 15 years with tax and insurance is about 2k/month. I guess thatís way too much to spend.

I think the point was by the time you are in your last five to ten years of your career you shouldnít be paying a mortgage. If you are you over bought

Han Solo
08-13-2018, 12:25 PM
ALPA sucks.

But the bankruptcy system has turned into an ATM for Mgmt.

If some company goes bankrupt, mgmt has failed. They should not be collecting tens of millions each-as they screw employees, creditors, investors, and everyone else who put that money at their disposal.

Incompence and failure should not result in more money than any of us would see in 10 lifetimes

The rich pay the money to elect the politicians who write laws in favor of the rich. The game is, always has been, and always will be rigged in their favor. Rich is power and influence, there is no rich airline pilot anywhere in the world (who got that way on an airline salary). There are very comfortable airline pilots who don't have to worry about money, but not a single one is rich nor ever will be as a result of flying planes.

HuggyU2
08-13-2018, 01:01 PM
...not a single one is rich nor ever will be as a result of flying planes.
Sully did.

badflaps
08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Sully did.

Wasn't that a non-flying plane?

Galaxy5
08-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Yeah close to first one leaving. Did a few staff tours and she canít cope with me being gone again. I tried to prepare her.... I was honest since day one with my plans. Guess she thought sheíd change that.

Second one will be better. Life is great now. Best thing my first one ever did for me was pick me up at the airport after my last deployment.

And drop me at an empty house.

Std Deviation
08-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Not sure how he is living on 2250 a month. Guessing no mortgage. Then a tiny little house so low electric/gas. Eating crap cheap food at an older age so he can die quicker since 1 mil won’t last very long.

Been flying 29 years professionally but attended several culinary schools as a hobby. I can make you a healthy gourmet meal for under $10. But most people prefer to eat out and nearly no one can cook these days. Got a buddy that pulled his kid out of private school because he “couldn’t afford” the extra $1K a month; however, his self disclosed eating out is $2500 a month for a family of three.. Priorities. Go figure. So yeah, if you plan on spending 3 meals a day in restaurants in your golden years you’ll need a million plus. Then you can get expensive crap food (compared to what you can make at home at a fraction of the cost).

There is a whole community of people that retire in their 30’s with a million in the bank. Of course, they eschew rampant consumerism and are perfectly happy - and don’t live like paupers. But if buying new new stuff every year is your thing will any amount of money ever “be enough?” Seriously, what’s enough?

OOfff
08-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Youíre getting trolled

PSU Flyer
08-13-2018, 01:35 PM
There is a whole community of people that retire in their 30ís with a million in the bank. Of course, they eschew rampant consumerism and are perfectly happy - and donít live like paupers. But if buying new new stuff every year is your thing will any amount of money ever ďbe enough?Ē Seriously, whatís enough?

If you retire in your 30s with a only a million in the bank, youíll be working again in your 50s.

Sputnik
08-13-2018, 02:11 PM
All depends how much you spend. Lots of websites/blogs explain it.

Dont particularly want to live that way myself, but its certainly doable.

CrispyBacon
08-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Been flying 29 years professionally but attended several culinary schools as a hobby. I can make you a healthy gourmet meal for under $10. But most people prefer to eat out and nearly no one can cook these days. Got a buddy that pulled his kid out of private school because he ďcouldnít affordĒ the extra $1K a month; however, his self disclosed eating out is $2500 a month for a family of three.. Priorities. Go figure. So yeah, if you plan on spending 3 meals a day in restaurants in your golden years youíll need a million plus. Then you can get expensive crap food (compared to what you can make at home at a fraction of the cost).

There is a whole community of people that retire in their 30ís with a million in the bank. Of course, they eschew rampant consumerism and are perfectly happy - and donít live like paupers. But if buying new new stuff every year is your thing will any amount of money ever ďbe enough?Ē Seriously, whatís enough?

This guy gets it. Cooking healthy and delicious aint rocket science.

Std Deviation
08-13-2018, 03:20 PM
This guy gets it. Cooking healthy and delicious aint rocket science.

CB, my crispy bacon is done in the oven at 375 for 15 min. :D

Std Deviation
08-13-2018, 03:28 PM
If you retire in your 30s with a only a million in the bank, you’ll be working again in your 50s.

How so? A 4% a year drawdown is 40K a year. They have paid for mortgages, no debt, and drive one paid for car. They choose to live on 40K a year. So with zero payments you can’t eat on 40K a year? Working is a largely a lifestyle choice for most. These folks are happy not buying crap they don’t need with borrowed money. Look at guys in this profession. Make 250K, spend 300. So they’re working out of necessity not choice. Behavior. Guys that make a quarter million a year in debt up to their eyeballs. Gotta showup for those transcon red eyes. Most of the retire early crowd work part time in fields they enjoy. They don’t slog to a cublicle to make the money to buy a brand new car so they can slog to the cubicle. We’ve been conditioned by society to consume. And that’s fine because I’m drawing dividends based on all the consumerism. Problem now is you have 60% of retirees going into retirement with a mortgage. Never used to be that way.

badflaps
08-13-2018, 03:56 PM
You need to pay tax on that $40 grand.:eek:

OOfff
08-13-2018, 04:07 PM
4% drawdowns are based on 30 year retirements, not 50-60.

Also, I wonder how much health insurance for a family of 4 costs on an open market plan. Might cut into that $32k net a bit.

CrispyBacon
08-13-2018, 04:13 PM
[/URL]CB, my crispy bacon is done in the oven at 375 for 15 min. :D

Sounds about right. We dont time ours. Thick cut perfectly crispy bacon goes well with scrambled eggs containing a couple tbsp of pimento cheese and several dashes of cayenne pepper sauce. I like to eat scrambled eggs with half an avocado too.

I think I'm going to need to take one of them classes to up my game tho! You have inspired me. I've got favorite dishes at overnights every where around the country, canada, and latin america and need to learn how to reproduce some of them. :D

https://amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Avocado-Slicer-Green/dp/B0088LR592/ref=asc_df_B0088LR592/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134584690&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5122304542485730445&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011074&hvtargid=pla-83784541046&psc=1
Best tool ever.

Fleet Warp
08-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Now I'm entertained by the drama and hungry.:eek:

fadec
08-13-2018, 07:17 PM
My final flight at a regional was a deadhead. Refusing the jumpseat, I was bumped to the next flight.

BeechPilot33
08-13-2018, 07:24 PM
You need to pay tax on that $40 grand.:eek:

Long term capital gains on less than 77k AGI is 0%.

badflaps
08-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Long term capital gains on less than 77k AGI is 0%.

I want to be around when you pay 0 in retirement. :D

maxjet
08-14-2018, 05:41 AM

She wonít be involved. It will be 2 wives after that😀

CousinEddie
08-14-2018, 05:46 AM
Well, I am 40 years old so not a boomer and yes I do have a million saved up but from my mostly tax free major airline job overseas. Oh, I forgot to mention. I also own a paid off condo in NYC so I think I did well for my age.

How many kids are you raising?

NYC Pilot
08-14-2018, 06:09 AM
How many kids are you raising?

Zero kids, no wife and many girlfriends:p

jcountry
08-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Sully did.

Sully didnít get rich from the pilot stuff.

He got rich from his speaking engagements and endorsements. And the book and movie stuff.

Sully was smart about it. He didnít do a lot of talking. He still doesnít-unless someone is willing to pay.

captjns
08-14-2018, 07:37 AM

Braggart :)

CousinEddie
08-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Thatís what I thought.

NYC Pilot
08-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Braggart :)

Hey, im just tryin to make the best of this short life we have;)

NYC Pilot
08-14-2018, 09:24 AM
That’s what I thought.

Yes but I didnt make my money solely from my airline job. I took the money from my airline job, invested in the right stocks over time and made a lot more. That enabled me to save and buy my expensive apartment on cash. Without the stock investments, I would have a third of what I currently have. I have friends with wives and children who are in the same position as me who dont have much in savings nor do they own their own homes. I can imagine its hard with dependents. Also, I live a pretty lavish lifestyle. I dont penny pinch. I also give 5% of my earnings to charity.

Flying Boxes
08-14-2018, 11:31 AM
So....your advice is a little late! What am I supposed to do with my wife and kids??? :eek:

Too funny, but some consider having a wife and kids part of making their life complete. I wouldn't trade my family for any amount of money. :D

OpenClimb
08-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Funny. Thatís exactly the plan I consider almost every time I drive home from a Frontier trip.

flyallnite
08-14-2018, 03:57 PM
Guy has my utmost respect. That's all I'd ever want on my fini. Congratulations and thanks for the years of safe and professional flying!

NYC Pilot
08-14-2018, 06:21 PM
So....your advice is a little late! What am I supposed to do with my wife and kids??? :eek:

Too funny, but some consider having a wife and kids part of making their life complete. I wouldn't trade my family for any amount of money. :D

Im sure you have a great family life. I do too. I just dont feel a need for a wife and kids. I like being single. I have tons of nieces/nephews, brothers, sister, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.. Even with wife/kids, you should try to save a portion of your earnings and invest it in safe stocks or just put it in treasury bonds if you dont like risk. By the time you retire, you will be surprised how much you will have saved. Its a long term thing.

PSU Flyer
08-14-2018, 07:21 PM
How so? A 4% a year drawdown is 40K a year. They have paid for mortgages, no debt, and drive one paid for car. They choose to live on 40K a year. So with zero payments you canít eat on 40K a year?

Iím not saying itís impossible to retire in your 30s with only 1 million in the bank, but I think it would be much harder than you think unless youíre living in your momís basement or a cardboard box under an overpass. And, Iíd say you pretty much would have to be single unless your wife worked. Just because your mortgage is paid off, doesnít mean your house is ďfree.Ē You still pay property taxes which are probably anywhere from 1,000 to 12,000 per year. Homeowners insurance is probably 1,000 per year or more. You may live in that house for the next 60 years, so Iím gonna guess a roof replacement, furnace replacement, a/c replacement, appliance replacement, etc arenít out of the question. Same with your car. Insurance, maintenance, upkeep, and replacement need factored in. If you have a family, you need medical/dental insurance which isnít cheap on your own. They say you need $250,000 for medical just for yourself in retirement. If youíre in your 30s, chances are your kids are still in high school or college. I suppose you can just make them pay for their own schooling though. I hope you donít have a daughter who wants to get married and have a nice wedding. Sure, itís only tradition for the brideís parents to pay, but you could skip that and make her pay for it herself.

I donít know about you, but I still would like a cell phone, so thatís an expense. Probably cable and WiFi too since you wonít have the money to go out and do anything. Food and gas arenít exactly cheap either. Donít forget about inflation. That affects everyone. Iíd also like to be able to travel and see my kids/grandkids if they move away. Iíd also like to be able to help my kids if they hit a rough patch and lose their job or something.

Like I said, Iím sure itís possible, but definitely not easy. If Iím retiring early, itís so I can travel a lot and do what I want. That requires more than $40,000 per year... at least for me. Plus, I have a family, so that makes a HUGE difference. Like someone else said, the 4% thing is for 30 years, not 60. Most estimates Iíve looked at say that you need $2.5 million to retire in your 60s comfortably. Iíd say you need at least $3.5 million to retire in your late 40s. But it all depends on priorities. Of course you can live on $40,000 if itís just you and thatís your goal. My question is, do you really want to try that for 50-60 years?

ItnStln
08-14-2018, 07:51 PM
I hope you donít have a daughter who wants to get married and have a nice wedding. Sure, itís only tradition for the brideís parents to pay, but you could skip that and make her pay for it herself.
My ex-fiancťe didnít want her parents to pay for our wedding so he might luck out.

hilltopflyer
08-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Wasn't that a non-flying plane?

That was falling with style.

Fleet Warp
08-15-2018, 04:57 AM
Iím not saying itís impossible to retire in your 30s with only 1 million in the bank, but I think it would be much harder than you think unless youíre living in your momís basement or a cardboard box under an overpass. And, Iíd say you pretty much would have to be single unless your wife worked. Just because your mortgage is paid off, doesnít mean your house is ďfree.Ē You still pay property taxes which are probably anywhere from 1,000 to 12,000 per year. Homeowners insurance is probably 1,000 per year or more. You may live in that house for the next 60 years, so Iím gonna guess a roof replacement, furnace replacement, a/c replacement, appliance replacement, etc arenít out of the question. Same with your car. Insurance, maintenance, upkeep, and replacement need factored in. If you have a family, you need medical/dental insurance which isnít cheap on your own. They say you need $250,000 for medical just for yourself in retirement. If youíre in your 30s, chances are your kids are still in high school or college. I suppose you can just make them pay for their own schooling though. I hope you donít have a daughter who wants to get married and have a nice wedding. Sure, itís only tradition for the brideís parents to pay, but you could skip that and make her pay for it herself.

I donít know about you, but I still would like a cell phone, so thatís an expense. Probably cable and WiFi too since you wonít have the money to go out and do anything. Food and gas arenít exactly cheap either. Donít forget about inflation. That affects everyone. Iíd also like to be able to travel and see my kids/grandkids if they move away. Iíd also like to be able to help my kids if they hit a rough patch and lose their job or something.

Like I said, Iím sure itís possible, but definitely not easy. If Iím retiring early, itís so I can travel a lot and do what I want. That requires more than $40,000 per year... at least for me. Plus, I have a family, so that makes a HUGE difference. Like someone else said, the 4% thing is for 30 years, not 60. Most estimates Iíve looked at say that you need $2.5 million to retire in your 60s comfortably. Iíd say you need at least $3.5 million to retire in your late 40s. But it all depends on priorities. Of course you can live on $40,000 if itís just you and thatís your goal. My question is, do you really want to try that for 50-60 years?

This is what cracks me up about pilots. Instead of taking a statement with a grain of salt, and "catching the drift", you spent several minutes putting all your knowledge into an essay. For probably half the effort, I googled it and discovered it's closer to 1.3m today and it makes some general assumptions about your life style. Maybe you're not comfortable with it, but the fact is some people are doing it. What was this thread about again?

Dolphinflyer
08-15-2018, 04:44 PM

13 years? Especially the last 13 years?

That's worthy of a participation trophy with your name engraved on it, "Skippy".

captjns
08-15-2018, 11:30 PM
13 years? Especially the last 13 years?

That's worthy of a participation trophy with your name engraved on it, "Skippy".

Aw come on. You gotta give Skippy 10 of the 13 years credit as a turd hearse driver;).

at6d
08-15-2018, 11:43 PM

Well...Iím ****ed.