Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : DFW-PHX Commute

Glasswing
08-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Hey all,
I'm ready to apply to the regionals and looking to gain some insight on how commutable the trips are out of PHX.
I assume a 10am show or later would be "commutable" for me from DFW but I am new to all this. Let me know what y'all think!

poorflyer
08-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Hey all,
I'm ready to apply to the regionals and looking to gain some insight on how commutable the trips are out of PHX.
I assume a 10am show or later would be "commutable" for me from DFW but I am new to all this. Let me know what y'all think!

I'm not PHX based but I can tell you the base was made for the sole purpose of recruiting so I assume the lines aren't that great nor efficient. I'll let some PHX peeps chime in on that. But if you can manage to commute there, adding another 50 mins to your commute to LAX may allow you more leniency in schedules and also better flying.

Edit: Should add that LAX is the only base that gets your delta and American benefits, so at least commuting from DFW-LAX you'd be able to have access to loads and a pretty good priority.

Beechnutz
08-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Bad idea. Iíd suggest LAX instead.

PHX is a small base and a lot of the trips start very early. Actually almost all of them do.

There is only 22 lines in PHX and maybe a couple would start late enough to commute but those will be taken by the senior guys.

I hated commuting when I was at OO. So Iím a big propionate of suggesting got somewhere you can drive to work. Youíll be so much happier.

Or just move here and youíll be happy.

Beechnutz
08-13-2018, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah another good reason to go to LAX if you really want to work here at CPZ is that we have a LAX DFW flight that you could commute on.

You get better priority on our flights and can reserve the jumpseat ahead of time.

We donít do PHX DFW. So you would be flighting on main line flights to catch that commute.

Glasswing
08-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the quick reply guys! Looks like I better consider LAX or some other options. Really hoping to stay DFW based but I'm not super excited about my local options.. so trying to find the least painful commute.

Beechnutz
08-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Dude if you can get based quickly at your home drone that will make up for anything better we can offer.

Can you tell I hated commuting?

Glasswing
08-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Haha, I can definitely tell.
DFW options are Envoy, Mesa, and supposedly Skywest opens soon..
Envoy is definitely an option but will start out commuting for a while until I can hold DFW, and then they are forcing upgrades which will force me out of DFW again.
Sounds like I would be commuting anyway for a good chunk of my regional career.. might as well commute to a company I want to be at.

But like I said I'm new to all this so the advice is definitely welcomed!

Excargodog
08-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Haha, I can definitely tell.
DFW options are Envoy, Mesa, and supposedly Skywest opens soon..
Envoy is definitely an option but will start out commuting for a while until I can hold DFW, and then they are forcing upgrades which will force me out of DFW again.
Sounds like I would be commuting anyway for a good chunk of my regional career.. might as well commute to a company I want to be at.

But like I said I'm new to all this so the advice is definitely welcomed!

Living in base is immeasurably better than commuting, but having a base where you live and actually getting assigned to that base are, as you indicate, sometimes two different things. Commuting to LGA would suck, but commuting to a crash pad in LGA to be on reserve would mega-suck.

If you are going to commute anyway, a dependable commute on your own metal would least suck.

ShooterMcGavin
08-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Most PHX trips start with 6-7am report times and a lot of the lines don't get back until late on the last day so you'd almost have to commute in the night before and the day after. Not to mention all the AA and Mesa folks you'll be fighting for jumpseats/cabin seats on that route. It's not uncommon to have standby lists 30-40 deep some days.

Glasswing
08-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Most PHX trips start with 6-7am report times and a lot of the lines don't get back until late on the last day so you'd almost have to commute in the night before and the day after. Not to mention all the AA and Mesa folks you'll be fighting for jumpseats/cabin seats on that route. It's not uncommon to have standby lists 30-40 deep some days.

Thanks for confirming. Looks like I will look at a few other options rather than PHX.
Thanks!

170toFINKA
08-14-2018, 07:03 PM
Hey all,

A new-hire in my class started out based in PHX. After a couple of months on reserve commuting from LAS, he gave up and got based in SEA.

No more early starts and late ends in PHX having to get in the day before and leave the day after a trip. Life got better.

Glasswing
08-24-2018, 04:21 PM
Hey Folks! Now considering LAX as an option. I assume there are a lot more lines out of LAX, and I could live locally, BUT the cost of living is pretty killer.....

Anyway, I have noticed the bonus structure is paid out over the first 12 months. Is there a 1 or 2 year commitment that has to be signed?

Poser765
08-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Hey Folks! Now considering LAX as an option. I assume there are a lot more lines out of LAX, and I could live locally, BUT the cost of living is pretty killer.....

Anyway, I have noticed the bonus structure is paid out over the first 12 months. Is there a 1 or 2 year commitment that has to be signed?no commitment.

Are you saying you live in la if based there? As far as dfw to lax itís a pretty consistently full flight. Iíve done it before and more than one Iíve been in an fa jumpseat with the other fa and the flt deck jump also occupied.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1