Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : K4 Hiring

No Land 3
08-18-2018, 04:12 PM
Please use this thread on questions about experience and interviewing as to not dilute the content of the other thread.
I'll start, I was hired under the previous contract, 121 regional CA, 5500tt, 1100 TPIC. I'll leave out details on the interview as it would not be applicable. Went to a job fair, took two months to get a call to interview.

Bengal
08-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Please use this thread on questions about experience and interviewing as to not dilute the content of the other thread.
I'll start, I was hired under the previous contract, 121 regional CA, 5500tt, 1100 TPIC. I'll leave out details on the interview as it would not be applicable. Went to a job fair, took two months to get a call to interview.

6400 TT, part 91 & 135, 1250 turboprop, 4550 jet, 4500 TPIC. Applied online and offered interview about 45 days later.

bright yellow
08-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Foreign Airline
B787/B777 Capt. 9000Jet PIC.
16000 TT.

Applied 2 weeks ago and received an email 2 days ago that the application has moved on to stage 2.

Atrasaty
08-18-2018, 06:23 PM

By definition should this be in the "hiring news" forum?

goinaround
08-18-2018, 06:29 PM
By definition should this be in the "hiring news" forum?

Right?

No Land 3
08-18-2018, 06:40 PM
No, because no one looks at that, and second, this is also for people trying to get into Kalitta, but keep asking what others people experience was for when they got the call. This is not meant as a hiring news thread.

aTomatoFlames
08-19-2018, 07:10 AM
Got an interview offer with 3400tt and 1200tpic, applied once, no internals, and no updates on the app. Took 2.5 months between submission and first contact of interview process. This was about a year ago, former regional CA.

Firefly899
08-19-2018, 08:26 AM
5600 TT
1800 TJPIC
International 91/135
Gulfstream/Falcon
2.5 months from online app to interview offer

MoarAlpha
08-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Thanks for making this thread. Im trying to get on with 5600TT/600TPIC. Regional 121 CA. Looks like Im right in the window! No call yet.

my6FOh
08-19-2018, 02:52 PM
3250tt 850Tpic rj captain. I applied 2 weeks ago and got the phase 2 email last week as well.

KA350Driver
08-19-2018, 02:59 PM
So Iíve got no jet time but a lot of international turboprop experience. Any shot?

No Land 3
08-19-2018, 03:07 PM
So Iíve got no jet time but a lot of international turboprop experience. Any shot?

Yes, we have a ton of turboprop guys where the 747 was their first jet.

Pilotski
08-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Applied 2 weeks ago, e mail received the other day. 3k total time, 2k jet PIC. Military IP/EP (trainers/heavies).

Jumpseatcrawler
08-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Looking through K4ís web page it says :

500 hours turbo-jet or 1500 hours and Graduate of a US Military Training Program and SIC/PIC Type Rating in a Turbojet Aircraft.

I have only 150 TPIC from a foreign corporate job but little over 2800 hours on the 737(foreign carrier)and currently flying SIC for a regional. Total 3300hrs +- and an associates degree.

Looking through the threads it seems everyone has at least 500hrs tpic. Am i out?

Thanks!!!

Locke
08-19-2018, 07:17 PM

500 hours turbo-jet or 1500 hours and Graduate of a US Military Training Program and SIC/PIC Type Rating in a Turbojet Aircraft.

I have only 150 TPIC from a foreign corporate job but little over 2800 hours on the 737(foreign carrier)and currently flying SIC for a regional. Total 3300hrs +- and an associates degree.

Looking through the threads it seems everyone has at least 500hrs tpic. Am i out?

Thanks!!!

Apply and see what happens. We are hiring like crazy, so they might make an exception. Just make sure that you update your app regularly.

Jumpseatcrawler
08-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Apply and see what happens. We are hiring like crazy, so they might make an exception. Just make sure that you update your app regularly.

Thank you, will do so, and if i happen to have any luck i will sure share the results in case anyone else has the same question.

mukalel
08-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Thanks!!!

Plenty of guys hired with zero tpic and also others with less than 500 .. these are things that can be waived..

WhaleWrangler
08-21-2018, 06:53 AM
There is going to be a lot more hiring soon so it doesn't hurt to apply. If you feel that your are reasonably close to the minimums or have low time but something that may make you stand out (currently on a heavy etc) then send an application in, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

I would also say make sure you are able to cope with fire hose training, intense FTD and simulator and a world of flying that is so far removed from Regional flying it can make your head spin, they will not hold your hand or spoon feed you through it all. They will try to get you through but only so much, the onus is on YOU.

FlyingAnvil
08-21-2018, 07:53 AM
I would also say make sure you are able to cope with fire hose training, intense FTD and simulator and a world of flying that is so far removed from Regional flying it can make your head spin, they will not hold your hand or spoon feed you through it all. They will try to get you through but only so much, the onus is on YOU.

Any good prep tools to help with the firehouse but avoid negative learning?

Locke
08-21-2018, 08:23 AM
Any good prep tools to help with the firehouse but avoid negative learning?

Get with guys from the class ahead of you and have them walk you through the basic flows. After that hit the FTD as much as possible. If you run into questions ask

FlyingAnvil
08-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Get with guys from the class ahead of you and have them walk you through the basic flows. After that hit the FTD as much as possible. If you run into questions ask

Makes sense ... thanks.

maxjet
08-22-2018, 04:05 AM

Great advice. The pilots who do well follow this advice, get ahead of the process and take charge of their own training. By now you should know how you learn. If the program is not formatted in the way you learn best, ask lots of questions.

Please do not tell the instructors how stupid this or that is. Kalitta signs your paycheck so learn it and do it the Kalitta way. It is all about standardized procedures.

The instructor scripts for each lesson are posted online. Please do not try to memorize the script. UNDERSTAND the material. If you memorize the answers in systems, and donít understand how it works that will become an obstical to your learning in the sim.

It matters more that you know that if you have a #4 demand pump inop and shut down the #4 engine that you will lose hydraulic pressure for the #4 system when you slow to flaps 10 speed. The windmilling engine cannot spin fast enough anymore to provide hydraulic pressure. This is not written anywhere but comes from understanding how hydraulic systems and pumps in all aircraft work.

squatcher1
09-08-2018, 07:16 AM
How good are my chances at getting on with Kalitta with only an Associate Degree?

Riverside
09-08-2018, 07:21 AM
How good are my chances at getting on with Kalitta with only an Associate Degree?

If you got an associate and no flight hours. Then probably not.

Agcat25
09-08-2018, 08:28 AM
I think that even southwest has dropped the 4 yr degree requirement.
If you get one though I would for lots of reasons.

No Land 3
09-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Four year degree is basically paying money to be brainwashed into a leftist. Expensive piece of paper that is becoming less essential every day.
Europeans treat flight school as a degree program. Outside the USA, college is all core classes, the liberal arts bullcrap is left at the high school levels. Imagine, going to college to actually learn a profession?

Locke
09-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Four year degree is basically paying money to be brainwashed into a leftist. Expensive piece of paper that is becoming less essential every day.
Europeans treat flight school as a degree program. Outside the USA, college is all core classes, the liberal arts bullcrap is left at the high school levels. Imagine, going to college to actually learn a profession?
Iím not denying that, but unless you have a ton of relevant experience, that 4 year degree will tip things in your favor still. So while it may not be a requirement, most pilots have one.

No Land 3
09-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Iím not denying that, but unless you have a ton of relevant experience, that 4 year degree will tip things in your favor still. So while it may not be a requirement, most pilots have one.

I have one as well. Still think it is a colossal waste of money

filejw
09-08-2018, 06:45 PM

11% of the Degrees in the US are Liberal Arts the rest in Business, Health , Science, Engineering, Computing and Education. Thatís 89 % of degrees are given in stuff you can get a job in .

ocskyguy
09-08-2018, 09:27 PM
11% of the Degrees in the US are Liberal Arts the rest in Business, Health , Science, Engineering, Computing and Education. Thatís 89 % of degrees are given in stuff you can get a job in .
True factoid...
I am an airline pilot (and, if I do say so myself, a somewhat successful one) because I sucked so bad at pre-law that I got the boot from my undergrad program. No degree for me. Not what I wanted, but what I got.
Although I think it enhances somebody's chances of getting the interview, I think we have quite a few years of panic hiring going on across the industry that will make the 4 year degree not such a big deal.
Another true factoid...
My dad was a WW2 vet. And a graduate of both Harvard Law and the Harvard Business School. His wealthiest Army buddy was a kid who never went to collage and instead was an apprentice plumber. Who started his own business and ended up being the prime plumbing contractor for the World Trade Center twin towers.
A career is what you make of it. The paper is just that. A piece of paper.

No Land 3
09-09-2018, 11:39 AM

89% of degrees are given in stuff you can get a job in, especially with the two year programs, however, what percentage of those graduates actually work in the industry they went to school for? Maybe half? Granted, an aerospace engineer will find work in HVAC, etc...
Kids, don't get a liberal arts degree!

nitefr8dog
09-09-2018, 04:13 PM
89% of degrees are given in stuff you can get a job in, especially with the two year programs, however, what percentage of those graduates actually work in the industry they went to school for? Maybe half? Granted, an aerospace engineer will find work in HVAC, etc...
I am guessing there are few if any.... soon to be college students looking at this thread....

Checkers21
09-09-2018, 04:49 PM

I donít use my degree, but Iím really ****ing glad I earned one!:D

Colt45
09-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Great advice. The pilots who do well follow this advice, get ahead of the process and take charge of their own training. By now you should know how you learn. If the program is not formatted in the way you learn best, ask lots of questions.

Please do not tell the instructors how stupid this or that is. Kalitta signs your paycheck so learn it and do it the Kalitta way. It is all about standardized procedures.

The instructor scripts for each lesson are posted online. Please do not try to memorize the script. UNDERSTAND the material. If you memorize the answers in systems, and don’t understand how it works that will become an obstical to your learning in the sim.

It matters more that you know that if you have a #4 demand pump inop and shut down the #4 engine that you will lose hydraulic pressure for the #4 system when you slow to flaps 10 speed. The windmilling engine cannot spin fast enough anymore to provide hydraulic pressure. This is not written anywhere but comes from understanding how hydraulic systems and pumps in all aircraft work.

Good info, I’m sure new hires and potential new hires appreciate it.

Diver Driver
09-09-2018, 05:51 PM
I don’t use my degree, but I’m really ****ing glad I earned one!:D

Same. I wouldn't trade my education or the fun I had in undergrad or grad school. Sure, having one just checks a box on the application in many respects, but I think it does make for a more well-rounded individual.

dera
09-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Europeans don't get 4 year degrees, because they are useless for employment there. It's either masters, or a vocational school. UK is slightly different, but rest of Europe don't really do 4 year stuff.

howardhughes8
09-09-2018, 09:09 PM
True factoid...
I am an airline pilot (and, if I do say so myself, a somewhat successful one) because I sucked so bad at pre-law that I got the boot from my undergrad program. No degree for me. Not what I wanted, but what I got.
Although I think it enhances somebody's chances of getting the interview, I think we have quite a few years of panic hiring going on across the industry that will make the 4 year degree not such a big deal.
Another true factoid...
My dad was a WW2 vet. And a graduate of both Harvard Law and the Harvard Business School. His wealthiest Army buddy was a kid who never went to collage and instead was an apprentice plumber. Who started his own business and ended up being the prime plumbing contractor for the World Trade Center twin towers.

Comparing WW2 times to now is so far out in left field. While you can absolutely have a successful adulthood without one, being an entrepreneur, inventor, etc, now a days having a Bachelors Degree is the ABSOLUTE minimum to be competitive. The mainstream kid joining the workforce is competing heavily against many others who have a Bachelors and beyond. Unless you want to become a professional trade person, having a degree is a must. Encouraging your kids to pursue anything other than this is simply irresponsible. Now, not all kids are college material, and thatís completely ok, but, they will need something ďspecialĒ to otherwise succeed. At least to my definition of success which is obtaining a job that pays 6 figures (eventually).

No Land 3
09-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Comparing WW2 times to now is so far out in left field. While you can absolutely have a successful adulthood without one, being an entrepreneur, inventor, etc, now a days having a Bachelors Degree is the ABSOLUTE minimum to be competitive. The mainstream kid joining the workforce is competing heavily against many others who have a Bachelors and beyond. Unless you want to become a professional trade person, having a degree is a must. Encouraging your kids to pursue anything other than this is simply irresponsible. Now, not all kids are college material, and thatís completely ok, but, they will need something ďspecialĒ to otherwise succeed. At least to my definition of success which is obtaining a job that pays 6 figures (eventually).
You don't need a degree to be a very successful programmer, or even to be I.T. However, to get big data center experience, you need an internship, and internships are made available to college students. Found that out the hard way after I became Cisco certified out of boredom.

Agcat25
09-10-2018, 07:42 PM
I also did get a BS in an aviation related program that also included an A&P license which I canít imagine being without now. In the course of my career a BS was always a minimum requirement for an airline job. I guess I wouldnít stall my flying career in order to get a degree now when good flying jobs seem to be plentiful.

SoFloFlyer
09-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Dang, brainwashed into a leftist? Iíll be more careful in my Statistics class right before my Principle if Management class. Thank God you told me that, now I donít have to worry! *rolls eyes*

flyguy727
09-11-2018, 10:54 PM
True, in part. But you spend the 1st year wasting money on what you should of learned in High School.

flyguy727
09-11-2018, 11:00 PM
True factoid...
Another true factoid...

Here we go again, a degree vs no degree. Neither one can make you rich nor poor. It's all on the individual. I know degree people that are just making it by, and I know nondegree people that are rich, and vise versa. It's all on you and the choices you make.

Checkers21
09-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Degrees from Embryo Riddle donít count. That place just sells you an expensive piece of paper. The only people who seem to defend it are the people that went there 😂. If youíre going to spend the time getting a degree, go to a University and study something besides aviation. Nerds!!!

shroomwell
09-12-2018, 07:22 PM
True, in part. But you spend the 1st year wasting money on what you should of learned in High School.

Should HAVE not should OF. And I learned that in grade school.

Colt45
09-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Hahahahahaha! Canít argue with that!:D

WesternSkies
09-13-2018, 12:42 AM

Hahaha .

Theaveragejoker
09-13-2018, 05:02 AM
4 pages of irrelevant thread hijack. Impressive.

Locke
09-13-2018, 05:57 AM
4 pages of irrelevant thread hijack. Impressive.

Only 4? Those are rookie numbers!

headhunter
09-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Back on track:

I submitted an application and got an email back saying it had moved to stage two. I'm ex-mil: 1000TT, about 750 TPIC, most of it F-16. Here's the kicker: I last flew the Viper in 2002. I'm now at a regional so I'm back in the seat with a type rating, a restricted ATP, and currency. We'll see where this goes. Married but no kids so the 16 days on, 14/15 days off schedule is attractive. And, no reserve and we can live wherever we want.

headhunter
12-29-2018, 10:36 AM
For you K4 pilots out there that are familiar with the hiring process: any updates about interviews? As you can see from my previous post I'm in the second review stage, but I haven't heard anything from K4 since September. Is this because they've passed over me for an interview, or have they been swamped with all the Christmas flying and the hiring process will get back to normal over the next month?

Riverside
12-29-2018, 10:49 AM
For you K4 pilots out there that are familiar with the hiring process: any updates about interviews? As you can see from my previous post I'm in the second review stage, but I haven't heard anything from K4 since September. Is this because they've passed over me for an interview, or have they been swamped with all the Christmas flying and the hiring process will get back to normal over the next month?

Well, we hired a lot of furloughed ASA guys. And it's the holiday rush, so everyone is out flying. I would give them a ring and ask what's your status.

MedMia
12-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Question about the interview process.

What should I be studying to prep for my interview date? My buddy on property says its more or less to see how your personality is to make sure you are pleseant to be around for 16 days+. Also, do you get a CJO on sight and if so, do you do the PRIA and drug test on the same day or do you typically do all the reqs upon reaching INDOC?Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Riverside
12-29-2018, 02:38 PM

What should I be studying to prep for my interview date? My buddy on property says its more or less to see how your personality is to make sure you are pleseant to be around for 16 days+. Also, do you get a CJO on sight and if so, do you do the PRIA and drug test on the same day or do you typically do all the reqs upon reaching INDOC?Any info would be greatly appreciated.

No need to post this question twice.

MedMia
12-29-2018, 03:31 PM
No need to post this question twice.

Sorry if I posted on another forum, but I am just trying to be as prepared as possible. You or whomever chooses to share their wisdom with me would be greatly appreciative of knowledge and time.

No Land 3
12-29-2018, 03:36 PM

I'd say the ASA pilot deal has something to do with it, but I'm sure you will get a call if they like your resume

Checkers21
12-29-2018, 03:45 PM

The interview has changed dramatically over the past couple years. If youíre prior mil, showing up in you flight suit will get you bonus points. Seriously, spoke with two guys who were given CJOs, both wore their flight suits. One of these guys then went onto wearing his nomex gloves to IOE, he was signed off immediately. Does it really matter when you **** in a cup? Once youíre on the line, they wonít be giving you a heads up.

MedMia
12-29-2018, 03:51 PM
The interview has changed dramatically over the past couple years. If youíre prior mil, showing up in you flight suit will get you bonus points. Seriously, spoke with two guys who were given CJOs, both wore their flight suits. One of these guys then went onto wearing his nomex gloves to IOE, he was signed off immediately. Does it really matter when you **** in a cup? Once youíre on the line, they wonít be giving you a heads up.

No flight suit here, it doesnt matter when I **** in a cup. Was questioning more about all the paperwork. If it was done there or if I get the job, in INDOC. Maybe could have worded it better.

Falconvalley
12-30-2018, 07:16 PM
I heard a rumor that calls for interviews have resumed.

Regarding training, someone mentioned donít memorize this and that. While I normally follow said logic (almost to double digits in initial classes in my career), I will say that the training can be intense. However, they definitely have a script and an instructor actually DID tell me to memorize something that I never would memorize in the Line. It was said to me to motivate me where motivation wouldnít have been proper. I knew that everything was going to be fine, but I was being kind of a diva in the sim and he was trying to redirect me. Things can get a bit stressful because they have to get the sims in and somehow get you through an OKE, PV, MV, and LOE in about 3 weeks. Itís doable, but you have to stay on your toes, stay on topic until the topic changes, and generally have a good foundation for how you approach high volume learning. I had to take note of things I wanted to cover more later.

East Aspen Dash
12-31-2018, 05:26 AM
I heard a rumor that calls for interviews have resumed.

Three of my refs just got one... they have resumed.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1