Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

HiFlyer992
08-18-2018, 09:13 PM
Got a couple questions about the reference section on pilot credentials:

-Does American look at this section and call people listed in the reference section before considering giving you a call for the video interview?
-If the reference section does matter, who do you put there? Captains in the company, squadron commanders, any person you know at American, etc?
- Is it bad to put people you know at Airlines other than American with the employee number in the reference section?
-Do letters of recommendation matter if they are from someone outside of the company? Who should the letter be from to give you the best opportunity? Does this matter at all?

PRS Guitars
08-19-2018, 09:29 AM
I never actually went through the AA hiring practice, so take my answer through that filter. Since no one is answering, I’ll give it a go though.

Don’t mix “references” with “recommendations”. Generally in the hiring process at any airline, a “reference” is used to validate your resume, ie confirm that you did what you said you did. Use people that you knew and can vouch for you. I highly doubt they use these prior to an interview invite. Probably only used (if ever) after offered a job. So it doesn’t need to be an AA employee, matter of fact, that’d be pretty rare. I used friends and supervisors for the most part.

Now for “recommendations” it will hold much more weight from an AA pilot, and even more if you’ve flown with them. Recently the director of hiring said the average new hire had 9 internal LOR’s, but when it’s looked at in the process is somewhat nebulous. If you don’t know many AA pilots, certainly use Squadron CC’s, and others who can speak to your character.

This is my general take on “reference” vs Recomendation” and I think holds true at any airline.

Good Luck!

Gone Flying
08-23-2018, 05:01 PM
I had this question as well. It does not appear that AA has a separate recommendation and reference like DL and UA do. It looks like they may be combining the two but I cannot tell

ALF659
08-23-2018, 05:23 PM
I had this question as well. It does not appear that AA has a separate recommendation and reference like DL and UA do. It looks like they may be combining the two but I cannot tell

AA most certainly has both references and recommendations. You list the references, but those recommending you enter it themselves into pilot credentials. If you are asking someone to write a LOR that has never done it, they enter their recommendation from the main AA page on Pilot Credentials without logging in. It is the second tab from the right and has a place for AA employees to enter their employee number.

PrettyDarnGood
08-24-2018, 11:03 AM
On the note of references, what are they looking for in regards to a "reference letter" on pilotcredentials? If your reference is not a pilot with an employee number, you're supposed to attach a reference letter. Am I reading that wrong?

Is it supposed to be formatted the same as a letter of recommendation?

Gone Flying
08-24-2018, 04:41 PM
AA most certainly has both references and recommendations. You list the references, but those recommending you enter it themselves into pilot credentials. If you are asking someone to write a LOR that has never done it, they enter their recommendation from the main AA page on Pilot Credentials without logging in. It is the second tab from the right and has a place for AA employees to enter their employee number.

Thanks, did not know it was after I submitted the App

PrettyDarnGood
10-20-2018, 05:40 AM
I never actually went through the AA hiring practice, so take my answer through that filter. Since no one is answering, I’ll give it a go though.

Don’t mix “references” with “recommendations”. Generally in the hiring process at any airline, a “reference” is used to validate your resume, ie confirm that you did what you said you did. Use people that you knew and can vouch for you. I highly doubt they use these prior to an interview invite. Probably only used (if ever) after offered a job. So it doesn’t need to be an AA employee, matter of fact, that’d be pretty rare. I used friends and supervisors for the most part.

Now for “recommendations” it will hold much more weight from an AA pilot, and even more if you’ve flown with them. Recently the director of hiring said the average new hire had 9 internal LOR’s, but when it’s looked at in the process is somewhat nebulous. If you don’t know many AA pilots, certainly use Squadron CC’s, and others who can speak to your character.

This is my general take on “reference” vs Recomendation” and I think holds true at any airline.

Good Luck!

All that makes sense, but it also asks for LETTERS from your references (non-pilot)... I don't think I've come across that with any of the other apps. Usually it's just listing them. Am I missing something? Do they really need letters from my references?

Rawhide16
10-20-2018, 05:46 AM
All that makes sense, but it also asks for LETTERS from your references (non-pilot)... I don't think I've come across that with any of the other apps. Usually it's just listing them. Am I missing something? Do they really need letters from my references?

I never uploaded anything but my resume. Been here about a year.

isuguy
10-23-2018, 08:02 PM
I never uploaded anything but my resume. Been here about a year.

Meaning you've been working for AA about a year? Did you have other pilots go in and write a recommendation, or just add them as references?

A10Beav
10-30-2018, 05:03 AM
I didn't have any internal recommendations and I got hired. I retired from the USAF and I had two recommendations I uploaded: one from my squadron commander and one from the pilot who did my last checked.

Vegaspilot
11-05-2018, 02:37 AM
I’ve filled out credentials and have all green checks marks. Still nothing. This might be a dumb question, but credentials is the only app correct? When I check the careers section on aa.com under pilots it just redirects to credentials. Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TankerDriver
11-05-2018, 04:07 AM
Yes, credentials is the only place for apps. There is a "Talent Runway" page you can register for, which I believe is more HR driven than anything. It will email you when there are big recruiting events or at least it should. It did not email me about the vfair in August. That you just need to catch on credentials when they advertise it.

Vegaspilot
11-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Yes, credentials is the only place for apps. There is a "Talent Runway" page you can register for, which I believe is more HR driven than anything. It will email you when there are big recruiting events or at least it should. It did not email me about the vfair in August. That you just need to catch on credentials when they advertise it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1