Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Flytolive
08-21-2018, 09:58 AM
https://onemileatatime.com/american-airlines-international-route-changes/

American Airlines scrapping direct Chicago-Shanghai flight (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/transportation/american-airlines-scrapping-direct-chicago-shanghai-flight)

DarinFred
08-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Metal is in high demand these days. Put it where it makes money.

buffalo
08-21-2018, 11:24 AM
DUB and EDI are both going away out of JFK, those two are the only 757 international flights out of JFK.

GHOST
08-21-2018, 06:58 PM

I agree that we need to strategically deploy our assets to routes that make money to ensure the long term success and viability of our airline. V.R. stated that we lose money on almost all Asia flights west of ORD. Iíd be curious to see what Unitedís numbers are, and how profitable they are on those routes?

mainlineAF
08-21-2018, 10:23 PM
As long as block hours stay the same or go go up i donít care where we fly.

Sliceback
08-22-2018, 05:17 AM

But, but, but....

Laker24
08-22-2018, 02:20 PM

I care. The Far East provides a lot of high credit trips. I would rather do 9-12 days of flying per month instead of 15+ going back and forth across the North Atlantic. But clearly Vasu didnít consult me first.

mainlineAF
08-22-2018, 02:27 PM
I care. The Far East provides a lot of high credit trips. I would rather do 9-12 days of flying per month instead of 15+ going back and forth across the North Atlantic. But clearly Vasu didnít consult me first.

Lol first world problems my dude.

Laker24
08-22-2018, 02:28 PM

At what point do corporate accounts start moving away from AAL? Why would any large Midwest or east coast business that occasionally does business in Asia use AAL? With delta or UAL they can depart via JFK, EWR, Detroit, ORD, Denver vs just DFW or LAX at AAL. We could be driving away high value accounts as we chase the ma and pa kettle revenue with seasonal service. A couple money losing routes might have lead to a better overall result.

Laker24
08-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Lol first world problems my dude.

True! But another reason why the AAL career is slowly falling behind DAL, UAL, FEDEX, UPS. We are hunkering down and tightening our belts while UAL and Delta are aggressively improving their reach and product. An AAL career is still good but our top end is trailing the top end at our competitors by a significant and increasing margin.

Floobs
08-22-2018, 03:13 PM
True! But another reason why the AAL career is slowly falling behind DAL, UAL, FEDEX, UPS. We are hunkering down and tightening our belts while UAL and Delta are aggressively improving their reach and product. An AAL career is still good but our top end is trailing the top end at our competitors by a significant and increasing margin.

So are we. We are replacing so many old airplanes with new ones.

LIOG41
08-22-2018, 03:40 PM
I agree that we need to strategically deploy our assets to routes that make money to ensure the long term success and viability of our airline. V.R. stated that we lose money on almost all Asia flights west of ORD. Iíd be curious to see what Unitedís numbers are, and how profitable they are on those routes?

So DFW and LAX to Asia are next on the chopping block? Donít think he said that man.

They will beef up more Asia flying out of Dfw and Lax I bet.

GHOST
08-22-2018, 05:33 PM
So DFW and LAX to Asia are next on the chopping block? Donít think he said that man.

They will beef up more Asia flying out of Dfw and Lax I bet.

I agree with your assessment regarding DFW/LAX - Asia flying. Not sure how you interpreted DFW and LAX being on the chopping block from my post. V.R. Met with a group of us after a crew news session a little over a year ago and did in fact tell myself and others that ORD-Asia was strategic and had it's challenges due to United's larger footprint. He was very candid when discussing the challenges ORD-Asia faced in regards to profitability.

Pilot X
08-22-2018, 06:21 PM

LAX and DFW are west of ORD, if we are losing money on them I guess they will be cut?:eek:

Name User
08-22-2018, 06:58 PM
LAX and DFW are west of ORD, if we are losing money on them I guess they will be cut?:eek:

Doug said in a crew news they weren't profitable. He might have even said it a few times, but I've forgotten. He inferred in another answer that the company was willing to wait out their investment for the time being.

That being said but personally I don't think we will ever be as successful as Delta and United are due to name.

GHOST
08-22-2018, 07:16 PM

I see where the confusion is. I meant to say... "west OUT OF ORD."

LIOG41
08-22-2018, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification, glad I wasn't the only one. lol

Pilot X
08-23-2018, 03:56 AM

Now it makes sence :D

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1