Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Southwest Hiring from regionals

av8nallday
08-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Hello all,

I wanted to get some quick questions answered that pertain to my future outlook of becoming a pilot in the majors.

I am currently in flight school and have heard many different avenues that I can take to get the required hours for an interview. I’ve heard things like be careful of which regional carrier you choose as it may have a negative effect. To go fly internationally and get your hours quicker on bigger aircraft because the requirements are lower and the experience is better then flying for a regional on smaller jets. Furthermore, you’ll have an upper hand with having experience on bigger jets over those that have flown for regionals in the U.S.

Since Southwest doesn’t have a direct flow I was curious what they look for and if one avenue looks better then the others. This is my end goal I will fly for anyone at this point but, I really like the culture of Southwest and want to get to them as quickly as possible to maximize my career and earning potential.

Thanks in advance

wilco811
08-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Hello all,

I wanted to get some quick questions answered that pertain to my future outlook of becoming a pilot in the majors.

I am currently in flight school and have heard many different avenues that I can take to get the required hours for an interview. I’ve heard things like be careful of which regional carrier you choose as it may have a negative effect. To go fly internationally and get your hours quicker on bigger aircraft because the requirements are lower and the experience is better then flying for a regional on smaller jets. Furthermore, you’ll have an upper hand with having experience on bigger jets over those that have flown for regionals in the U.S.

Since Southwest doesn’t have a direct flow I was curious what they look for and if one avenue looks better then the others. This is my end goal I will fly for anyone at this point but, I really like the culture of Southwest and want to get to them as quickly as possible to maximize my career and earning potential.

Thanks in advance

In order to go fly internationally you'll have to go through a regional and get some jet experience. Honestly PIC time on the RJ and international WB experience are both considered very valuable experience. One isn't necessarily better than the other. Just remember that once overseas it becomes much harder to schedule and make it to interviews back in the mainland. I would recommend a solid regional with a flow through such as Envoy. That way you'll have the flow through to American. If you wish to apply to other legacies you can do so while you wait for your flow. Skywest is also a nice place to work. "If you work for such and such regional with a bad reputation you'll never get hired by a major" is simply just a rumor. Tons of folks doing just fine who have flown for those so called outfits.
However at this point there is no reason to go to those places unless you are really close to one of their bases. Best luck to your future! If you have questions feel free to message.

PotatoChip
08-22-2018, 02:33 PM
I have both international widebody experience AND regional captain experience. I have not been selected for an interview.
Good luck. It’s not easy or necessarily fair.

SimMonkey
08-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Recent breakdown of new hires. Being an Instructor and examiner is also desired. Think leadership positions.

Psycho18th
08-22-2018, 07:44 PM
And all that was just one newhire...

av8nallday
08-23-2018, 10:11 AM
PotatoChip thanks for you insight it seems like you have had tough go. If you don’t mind can you elaborate on “it’s not east or necessarily fair”
I know it is a tight knit group but this is a first that I have heard it not being fair.

PotatoChip
08-23-2018, 10:17 AM
PotatoChip thanks for you insight it seems like you have had tough go. If you don’t mind can you elaborate on “it’s not east or necessarily fair”
I know it is a tight knit group but this is a first that I have heard it not being fair.

I’m not saying it is or isn’t. More like life isn’t fair, and same goes with hiring practices anywhere. Seemingly great applicants get looked over while a 28 year old with zero TPIC gets hired. After years of applying and being told “looks great! Keep doing what you’re doing!” you start to wonder.

av8nallday
08-23-2018, 10:20 AM
In order to go fly internationally you'll have to go through a regional and get some jet experience. Honestly PIC time on the RJ and international WB experience are both considered very valuable experience. One isn't necessarily better than the other. Just remember that once overseas it becomes much harder to schedule and make it to interviews back in the mainland. I would recommend a solid regional with a flow through such as Envoy. That way you'll have the flow through to American. If you wish to apply to other legacies you can do so while you wait for your flow. Skywest is also a nice place to work. "If you work for such and such regional with a bad reputation you'll never get hired by a major" is simply just a rumor. Tons of folks doing just fine who have flown for those so called outfits.
However at this point there is no reason to go to those places unless you are really close to one of their bases. Best luck to your future! If you have questions feel free to message.

wilco811, thank you for taking some time and sharing your insight with me and what you’ve seen and/or experienced. I can see how it would be difficult for being overseas and trying to make it back to interviews. I thought they would potentially start with a phone interview and if they liked what they discussed, you would be offered a more formal interview at a set time to come back to the states. I have thought about doing exactly what you explained, but I wasn’t sure if that was just as valuable and good compared to overseas. I’ve heard numerous things about flows recently such as, “they tell you the flow is 5-7 years but I am still waiting and I’ve been here 12 years.” Not sure how much truth there is to that, my first thought was maybe it isn’t them its you. But I try to listen to both sides to see whats real or not. If you don’t mind what route did you take and how was your experience thus far?

av8nallday
08-23-2018, 10:25 AM
I’m not saying it is or isn’t. More like life isn’t fair, and same goes with hiring practices anywhere. Seemingly great applicants get looked over while a 28 year old with zero TPIC gets hired. After years of applying and being told “looks great! Keep doing what you’re doing!” you start to wonder.

I see, that makes more sense, and I can understand how you feel. Who are you currently with? Are you liking the culture and the quality of life?

PotatoChip
08-23-2018, 10:57 AM
I see, that makes more sense, and I can understand how you feel. Who are you currently with?A regional airline Are you liking the culture and the quality of life?See previous answer.

Answers in red

at6d
08-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Hello all,

I am currently in flight school and have heard many different avenues that I can take to get the required hours for an interview.

Note that there is a difference between “required hours to apply” and “experience to be competitive and land an interview.”

I’ve heard things like be careful of which regional carrier you choose as it may have a negative effect.

Like what? The only thing I can think of at this time in aviation history is the length of time it will take to achieve PIC time.

...the experience is better then flying for a regional on smaller jets. Furthermore, you’ll have an upper hand with having experience on bigger jets over those that have flown for regionals in the U.S.

Categorically anecdotal and completely debatable. Define experience. A regional captain flying six legs in a 1900/Dash/ATR/Saab on the east coast (dating myself) in winter will have a very different experience thAn an FO on an Emirates jet. Experience in a wide variety of aircraft in a wide variety of conditions over a length of time (and leadership experience) is what I want, but I’m not on the hiring team.

...I was curious what they look for and if one avenue looks better then the others.

Three years ago we still had a turbine PIC minimum. Apparently that’s gone now. Our class average was 7000 hours and a 737 type (also changed now), and all had leadership/management/check airman experience of some sort. You won’t get a complete definition of “what they want.” Times are rapidly changing from the Lost Decade.

This is my end goal I will fly for anyone at this point but, I really like the culture of Southwest and want to get to them as quickly as possible to maximize my career and earning potential.

You and everyone else in the airline industry...ever.

Get your ratings. Fly hard to get the experience. Don’t bend any airframes, don’t get a felony, and then apply when you can.

Good luck.

Spookywatcher
08-23-2018, 12:56 PM
I have both international widebody experience AND regional captain experience. I have not been selected for an interview.
Good luck. It’s not easy or necessarily fair.

I had been trying to get on since 2006. I was getting discouraged when no call for interview after keeping my stats updated every 3 months. Then one day someone says..."Hey are you still applying to the southwest job announcements while still updating your profile?"

Big dumb look on face followed by a "Huh?"

Went online and "reapplied" to an opening that had just been posted. Got the invite to interview 7 days later. Big dum dum I was.

Not saying that's your case but hoping to help anyone else that might be knuckleheading it like me.

I don't even know if that is still the process. Just sharing and hoping it helps.

Spooky

PotatoChip
08-23-2018, 01:07 PM
I had been trying to get on since 2006. I was getting discouraged when no call for interview after keeping my stats updated every 3 months. Then one day someone says..."Hey are you still applying to the southwest job announcements while still updating your profile?"

Big dumb look on face followed by a "Huh?"

Went online and "reapplied" to an opening that had just been posted. Got the invite to interview 7 days later. Big dum dum I was.

Not saying that's your case but hoping to help anyone else that might be knuckleheading it like me.

I don't even know if that is still the process. Just sharing and hoping it helps.

Spooky

Thanks.
I’ve applied to the last ten straight requisitions.
Update pilot credentials bi-weekly.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1