Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Recruitment/growth

Deluth16
08-23-2018, 06:32 AM
Are more pilots leaving the company after the CAE displacements?
For a new-hire MKE and CAE are really the only options except for lengthy reserve in Ord and holding IAD almost impossible now since the base shrink.
Anyone have any clue what’s going on? It just seems like a terrible turn for recruitment and growth.

stroopwaffle
08-23-2018, 07:54 AM
That’s what we all think on the front lines.

But, the investors are VERY good at making money, and they don’t make any decisions unless it’s making their percentage of profit. They must have some long-term plan for CAE/MKE, part of the “big picture” that we can’t see.

Flying101
08-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Oh wait, I know! It’s United Airlines ways to take over Delta in ATL and American in CLT, sneaky sneaky! AWAC and long-term plans don’t go together..look at RDU and LGA.

squib
08-23-2018, 06:58 PM
That’s what we all think on the front lines.

But, the investors are VERY good at making money, and they don’t make any decisions unless it’s making their percentage of profit. They must have some long-term plan for CAE/MKE, part of the “big picture” that we can’t see.

There’s zero long term planning here. Current management saves a couple bucks by opening an out station base and presents the papers to the owners and they say yea that sounds good. Meanwhile trained crews quit because it’s uncommutable and fast forward to december when the blame is placed on united again for poor schedules.

Day4mx
08-24-2018, 05:31 AM
There’s zero long term planning here. Current management saves a couple bucks by opening an out station base and presents the papers to the owners and they say yea that sounds good. Meanwhile trained crews quit because it’s uncommutable and fast forward to december when the blame is placed on united again for poor schedules.

Ohare has been our biggest recruiting strength. I cannot try and understand what our management is thinking shrinking it to an unobtainable seniority level.

flightlessbirds
08-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Ohare has been our biggest recruiting strength. I cannot try and understand what our management is thinking shrinking it to an unobtainable seniority level.

This exactly -- I'm holding a CJO now and seriously re-thinking it with ORD looking less and less achievable. I could deal with MKE until seniority allowed ORD prior to this re-alignment but being stuck permanently in MKE or having to deal with CAE at all looks very unappealing. Makes Republic look more appealing -- the achievable ORD base was the main difference to me when I was applying over the summer.

WhiskyWhisky
08-24-2018, 07:35 AM
+1. Exact same boat. My house, family - wife & 3 kids, live in SE Wisconsin. I accepted a CJO with MKE and ORD being strong options. Now I see 100% of all new hires going to CAE. Who else is rowing this boat?

SuperFlier
08-24-2018, 08:08 AM
+1. Exact same boat. My house, family - wife & 3 kids, live in SE Wisconsin. I accepted a CJO with MKE and ORD being strong options. Now I see 100% of all new hires going to CAE. Who else is rowing this boat?

There's another vacancy bid coming out in a few days, but I think it's realistic to expect CAE for 4-5 months, which means you will likely have it as a base for a month or two after training. You could probably expect MKE by month 5 and ORD reserve by month 7-8.

coder
08-24-2018, 08:57 AM
There's another vacancy bid coming out in a few days, but I think it's realistic to expect CAE for 4-5 months, which means you will likely have it as a base for a month or two after training. You could probably expect MKE by month 5 and ORD reserve by month 7-8.

This is basically what I was told this week when I got my CJO. I'm in NE Wisconsin (house, wife, 3 kids), and applied specifically for MKE, potentially ORD long-term - told it was possible I could even bypass CAE completely, depending on how classroom seniority falls out (I asked several questions regarding CAE, as it is a concern for me). However, they are expecting MKE seniority to start going up.

WhiskyWhisky
08-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Envoy, SkyWest, ExpressJet are all equal contenders (ORD) at this point with CAE being almost a certainty. Hmmmm.

PontiusPilot
08-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Envoy, SkyWest, ExpressJet are all equal contenders (ORD) at this point with CAE being almost a certainty. Hmmmm.

ORD for a new hire at ExpressJet now is almost an automatic now. It's a junior base to begin with, and now it's growing with the incoming CRJ's.

TheGodfather
08-27-2018, 04:04 PM
How long of an upgrade for a new hire with prior 121 time if based in CAE?

42ER
08-28-2018, 10:44 AM
How long of an upgrade for a new hire with prior 121 time if based in CAE?

For now? Maybe 12 months. Shorter in the future is my guess.

Av8tor8710
09-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Anyone have an idea what management is doing to ensure AWA’s future after this contract with UA is over? Isn’t that happening in two or three years? AWA is my first choice of places to go when I get the time, if it’s not going to be around in the next three years 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

chrisreedrules
09-24-2018, 06:17 PM
Anyone have an idea what management is doing to ensure AWA’s future after this contract with UA is over? Isn’t that happening in two or three years? AWA is my first choice of places to go when I get the time, if it’s not going to be around in the next three years 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

The burning question.

Flaps8posrate
09-24-2018, 06:32 PM
It’s a five year contract with United, ratified earlier this year. That’s nearly two lifetimes working for a regional in this job market.
The burning question.

xxFlyBoyxx
09-29-2018, 06:33 PM
I am interviewing soon with Air Wisconsin...what are my chances of getting IAD right out of training? Or is everyone headed to CAE? Thank you!!!

stroopwaffle
09-30-2018, 03:30 AM
The ATW crew does not leak info, nor divulge future plans until they are set in stone. As long as we can continue to move airplanes and make them money, AWA will stay in business.

Which non-wholly owned signs longer than 5-year contracts these days? We have 4 years left for them to make plans for the future. You can upgrade and have 1000TPIC before then.

FlyPKP
09-30-2018, 04:22 AM
I am interviewing soon with Air Wisconsin...what are my chances of getting IAD right out of training? Or is everyone headed to CAE? Thank you!!!

You'll get MKE or CAE, if you want to upgrade to IAD it'll be 11.5 years at current staffing.

Scube3
10-01-2018, 09:47 AM
With United ALPA not authorizing any new 76 seaters to be flown by other regionals United is stuck with 50 seaters aircraft for regional grow, and they can use as many as they can. So the possibility on further staying with Air Wisconsin afterwards doesn’t seem improbable at all.

Av8tor8710
11-15-2018, 01:51 PM
During the interview, in CAE, while telling all the applicants about the company they told us all there’d be more crew bases opening early-mid 2019....any rumor/speculations as to where those might be?

stroopwaffle
11-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Oh FFS...

My money is on an uncommutable MX base.

prex8390
11-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Oh FFS...

My money is on an uncommutable MX base.

Close ORD and IAD. Open ATW and DAY. You heard it here first.

Grumbletrousers
11-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Close ORD and IAD. Open ATW and DAY. You heard it here first.

HNL while you’re at it

Av8tor8710
11-15-2018, 04:05 PM
While we’re throwing bases out there how about MSY, haha ⚜️

diverdriver2
11-17-2018, 08:08 AM
During the interview, in CAE, while telling all the applicants about the company they told us all there’d be more crew bases opening early-mid 2019....any rumor/speculations as to where those might be?

I asked the chief pilot. He says recruiters are NOT telling people to expect new bases.

If one is we'd like to correct that and dispel that from applicants expectations.

Av8tor8710
11-17-2018, 04:30 PM
“More bases can be expected in the near* future” was the exact verbage. 🤷*♂️

StrykerB21
11-18-2018, 02:14 AM
“More bases can be expected in the near* future” was the exact verbage. 🤷*♂️

Check your PMs.

RabidW0mbat
11-18-2018, 03:14 AM
I asked the chief pilot. He says recruiters are NOT telling people to expect new bases.

If one is we'd like to correct that and dispel that from applicants expectations.

I can believe that’s what the CP says. That said my recruiter gave me and others who were in my interview a few whoppers regarding the bonus vestment schedule, which I have in writing, all of which was a lie. When I brought it up with MP all he could do was apologize and say yeah, he was wrong and told not to do that anymore. What is policy and what the recruiters are saying are sometimes very different.

da42pilot
11-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Recruiters don’t report to chief pilots.

Chief pilots = flight ops departments

Recruiters = HR department

diverdriver2
11-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Recruiters don’t report to chief pilots.

Chief pilots = flight ops departments

Recruiters = HR department

So I messaged the head pilot recruiter. Yah, he also said there's no truth to expecting new bases next year.

He says they do say there is potential for growth. I guess if we get staffed up to fully running 65 aircraft then yes we could grow. But that doesn't necessarily translate into new bases. I think there's been a misunderstanding. I would hate for anyone to choose or not close AWA based on this misunderstanding.

DarkSideMoon
11-18-2018, 04:58 PM
So I messaged the head pilot recruiter. Yah, he also said there's no truth to expecting new bases next year.

He says they do say there is potential for growth. I guess if we get staffed up to fully running 65 aircraft then yes we could grow. But that doesn't necessarily translate into new bases. I think there's been a misunderstanding. I would hate for anyone to choose or not close AWA based on this misunderstanding.

Growth opportunity? They planning on dragging airframes out of the desert?

CanWeGetTheLeft
11-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Growth opportunity as in “we might actually fly all of our airplanes at full utilization.”

Which, depending on how you want to look at the numbers and who you want to believe, would be the equivalent of adding 10-20 airframes.

“Fully staffed” means 800+ pilots. We haven’t been there in a long time.

JuniorFO
11-19-2018, 08:14 AM

ExpressJet picked up that growth with 20 CRJ200s in ORD, covering for Air Wisconsin. I don't see that growth happening anymore.

Grumbletrousers
11-19-2018, 01:48 PM
ExpressJet picked up that growth with 20 CRJ200s in ORD, covering for Air Wisconsin. I don't see that growth happening anymore.

United isn’t anywhere near its 50 seat scope. If AWA offered E9+ rates it could easily grow to over 100 aircraft. Though they’ve made it clear that’s not their goal.

Day4mx
11-19-2018, 03:57 PM
I don't see that growth happening anymore.

Thats what she said.

DarkSideMoon
11-19-2018, 04:55 PM
United isn’t anywhere near its 50 seat scope. If AWA offered E9+ rates it could easily grow to over 100 aircraft. Though they’ve made it clear that’s not their goal.

There’s only so many middle of nowhere cities that can fill a 50 seat RJ.

Grumbletrousers
11-22-2018, 05:35 AM
There’s only so many middle of nowhere cities that can fill a 50 seat RJ.

Many people are moving away from major cities like Chicago, LA and Detroit. One of the most appealing things for a small city to have is a regional airport which can offer flexible service to major hubs. The low cost carriers are constantly adding new destinations, although they’re mostly limited by runway length and infrastructure. Most things that a 50 seater really doesn’t have to worry about. While I agree that the current market of 50 seaters aren’t really fuel efficient or passenger friendly enough to survive long-term, I think with the right airplanes the smaller markets will grow while the major hubs shrink.

amcnd
11-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Many people are moving away from major cities like Chicago, LA and Detroit. One of the most appealing things for a small city to have is a regional airport which can offer flexible service to major hubs. The low cost carriers are constantly adding new destinations, although they’re mostly limited by runway length and infrastructure. Most things that a 50 seater really doesn’t have to worry about. While I agree that the current market of 50 seaters aren’t really fuel efficient or passenger friendly enough to survive long-term, I think with the right airplanes the smaller markets will grow while the major hubs shrink.

That may have been the case when said 50 seater was costing 125k a month on a lease or loan payment. But not that they are paid off at som regionals. The cost is actually quite cheap. Look at EAS bids brand new pilatus can’t compete with a CRJ200 paid off..