Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Gateway programs

EN1990
08-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Hey has anyone been thru, used, known any information, or known a person that has used a gateway program to become an FO for JB? Iím a student at a college with my pp w/instrument rating trying to look into the not-so-distant future options I have.
Thanks!!

CaptCoolHand
08-24-2018, 04:03 AM
Thereís plenty of cape air and ERAU guys here now. None of the zero to hero guys are online yet.

Jmo but thereís much better options out there than the complete pilot program that JetBlue is offering. Again jmo but itís a gamble with a large sum of cash.

GoJuice
08-24-2018, 04:12 AM
Hey has anyone been thru, used, known any information, or known a person that has used a gateway program to become an FO for JB? Iím a student at a college with my pp w/instrument rating trying to look into the not-so-distant future options I have.
Thanks!!

I've already graduated so i am not in your exact situation, however I'll be starting at Republic's LIFT Academy in November. It may be worth inquiring as i know they work with Vincennes University and are half the cost of JetBlue's program.

hilltopflyer
08-24-2018, 04:45 AM
I've already graduated so i am not in your exact situation, however I'll be starting at Republic's LIFT Academy in November. It may be worth inquiring as i know they work with Vincennes University and are half the cost of JetBlue's program.

But where would you get a job at republic? Isnít united doing a gig now? That would be the place to go

ItnStln
08-24-2018, 06:23 PM
But where would you get a job at republic? Isnít united doing a gig now? That would be the place to go

Is United doing a gig now? Do you have information on it?

hilltopflyer
08-25-2018, 12:22 AM
Is United doing a gig now? Do you have information on it?

With the Lufthansa school. https://www.latcpp.com

ItnStln
08-25-2018, 04:49 AM
With the Lufthansa school. https://www.latcpp.com

Thanks, I forgot about that!

oscar24
08-31-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm going thru the process now, all that's left is the in-person interview. I know someone who got in. What would you like to know specifically?

hilltopflyer
08-31-2018, 05:47 PM
I'm going thru the process now, all that's left is the in-person interview. I know someone who got in. What would you like to know specifically?

What are you going to tell people when they ask where you worked before? I donít feel like baby sitting a brand new to the airlines/flying first officer.

175drvr
08-31-2018, 09:37 PM

That requireís a 5 year commitment to RAH - or so Iím told.

IMHO would be a better move to get into UALís or our program and avoid the regionals altogether.

hilltopflyer
09-01-2018, 12:44 AM
Also, is there anything in there about getting a job at a different airline if we got bought?

oscar24
09-01-2018, 12:39 PM
What are you going to tell people when they ask where you worked before? I donít feel like baby sitting a brand new to the airlines/flying first officer.

I'll tell them the truth. If they want to treat me differently because I took a different path, a path they would have taken had it been available to them then that's their problem.

oscar24
09-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Also, is there anything in there about getting a job at a different airline if we got bought?

No, waiting to ask them that during the interview.

BeatNavy
09-01-2018, 01:37 PM
I'll tell them the truth. If they want to treat me differently because I took a different path, a path they would have taken had it been available to them then that's their problem.

Thatís a bit presumptuous. Congratulations on buying a spot on the seniority list and getting accepted by JB with zero flight time, zero experience, and zero qualifications related to the job (you know, the things every other airline pilot in the industry, including regional pilots, get evaluated on). No, if that path was available to me, I wouldnít have taken it.

CaptCoolHand
09-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Never mind...
you canít buy experience.

Trust me itíll be your problem.

hilltopflyer
09-01-2018, 01:59 PM

I would not ha w taken that path. I did my ratings and got to a major for cheap. I didnít buy my way into a job. I think itís crazy to spend that kind of money to get a job at jetblue.

symbian simian
09-03-2018, 08:55 AM

Not everyone would jump at the chance to pay $125.000 for flight training. ER is considered by many to be too expensive at $60,000. Iím sure everyone would have jumped at the chance of getting on at a major without experience, but enough of us couldnít/wouldnít pay for it. If they want to treat you differently not just because of the path you took, but more your attitude about it you will find quickly it it wonít be their problem.

jtrain609
09-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Not everyone would jump at the chance to pay $125.000 for flight training. ER is considered by many to be too expensive at $60,000. Iím sure everyone would have jumped at the chance of getting on at a major without experience, but enough of us couldnít/wouldnít pay for it. If they want to treat you differently not just because of the path you took, but more your attitude about it you will find quickly it it wonít be their problem.

Riddle is around $140,000 in tuition alone.

BeatNavy
09-03-2018, 10:47 AM

And a 4 year degree.

jtrain609
09-03-2018, 11:03 AM
And a 4 year degree.

I think you misunderstand what tuition means.

That IS the four year degree, the flying costs are on top of that.

symbian simian
09-03-2018, 11:47 AM

Yes, but the flight training part is quoted at around $60K. Gateway does not include a 4yr degree AFAIK..

edit: as said by some before me

sflpilot
09-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Yes and completely not worth it. Please do not screw yourselves. I know from bad experiences.

sflpilot
09-04-2018, 12:53 PM
If you want to f yourself over 10 times go to riddle.

JetBlueNewb
02-07-2019, 07:52 PM

Always the best way to get info... ďpsssst... I know a guy who knows a guy...Ē