Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : A Hall for the Heroes

210Av8r
08-24-2018, 03:03 PM
You've made it! You're moving on the the next step in your career. Don't be bashful. Share the news and let the others celebrate with you. But please share, if you feel comfortable:
1. How long you've been at CPZ.
2. Where you're going.
3. Your favorite memory.
4. What you'll miss the most.

Congrats and happy flying!

Poser765
08-24-2018, 03:35 PM
You've made it! You're moving on the the next step in your career. Don't be bashful. Share the news and let the others celebrate with you. But please share, if you feel comfortable:
2. Where you're going.
3. Your favorite memory.

Congrats and happy flying!sure Iíll contribute since I helped get it going.

1. My resignation date was 3 years and 6 days since my date of hire.

2. Spirit will be the new home.

3. Gosh, to many to list. Every trip almost had something exciting happen. Good crews, good overnights, just good times.

4. The crews for sure. Compass is a unique place. There are some people here that took themselves to seriously, but dang for the most part cp was the most light hearted, easy going group Iíve worked with. The message boards here very accurately reflect our line experience.

poorflyer
08-24-2018, 07:28 PM
sure Iíll contribute since I helped get it going.

1. My resignation date was 3 years and 6 days since my date of hire.

2. Spirit will be the new home.

3. Gosh, to many to list. Every trip almost had something exciting happen. Good crews, good overnights, just good times.

4. The crews for sure. Compass is a unique place. There are some people here that took themselves to seriously, but dang for the most part cp was the most light hearted, easy going group Iíve worked with. The message boards here very accurately reflect our line experience.

Congrats and glad to see you go. Have fun and don't forget us!

Poser765
08-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Congrats and glad to see you go. Have fun and don't forget us!i will, and not a chance. Letís see some other posts so I donít feel like Iím bragging

RomeoSierra
08-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Iíll chip in also. Did 3 years at compass. 3 and a half years at another regional before Compass. Miss both my previous regionals for all the fun with the crews. Now Iím at Delta. Same job as all the other airlines I worked at. So enjoy the fun with crews while you can.

Aviator147
08-24-2018, 10:28 PM
1. Was at CPZ 3.5 Years - 2014-2018
2. At Big D on the 88 for now. C-Series in a few months.
3. All the YVR overnights and recreating the miracle on the Hudson during upgrade.
4. Definitely all the crews, will never fly with a greater group of people than I did at Compass.

VIRotate
08-24-2018, 10:38 PM
1. A little over 2 years

2. The left seat

3. Watching Bobby Lee get an unopened snack basket.

4. Running the takeoff change check.

:D

Beechnutz
08-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Congrates all you dudes that are moving on. And thanks for making this place a great place to work!

Poser765
08-25-2018, 12:39 PM
1. A little over 2 years

2. The left seat

3. Watching Bobby Lee get an unopened snack basket.

4. Running the takeoff change check.

:Dtakeoff change check. Did anyone ever figure out how to run that damn checklist?

VIRotate
08-25-2018, 01:00 PM
takeoff change check. Did anyone ever figure out how to run that damn checklist?

I still wing it every time. (Much pun intended)

Poser765
08-25-2018, 05:07 PM
I still wing it every time. (Much pun intended)lol yeah that sums it up. Iíd try to give the fo what he wanted to hear. The problem was figuring out what he actually expected to hear.

My typical responses:

Set
No change set
Dotts 2 set
*annoyed silence*
You did what, now?

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-25-2018, 05:13 PM
lol yeah that sums it up. Iíd try to give the fo what he wanted to hear. The problem was figuring out what he actually expected to hear.

My typical responses:

Set
No change set
Dotts 2 set
*annoyed silence*
You did what, now?

LOL! I just start rhyming

Set.
Pet.
Rent.
Tent.
Wait, what??

FlytheSky
08-25-2018, 05:36 PM
takeoff change check. Did anyone ever figure out how to run that damn checklist?

I never had any problem running it. I'd even teach some FOs how to run that checklist. It's all "no change" or read off everything you need, and show it to the captain in the box. The runway departure and SID just required you to go to the route page, show the captain the runway, hit the next page, and the departure and transition would be right there.

FlytheSky
08-25-2018, 05:47 PM
2. Where you're going.
3. Your favorite memory.

Well, shoot, I guess it's time for me to finally spill the beans.

1. Just under 3 years and 3 months
2. WidgetCo
3. So many great memories to choose from, but probably my favorite was touring Banff with a crew I had never met on a random 2 day trip I picked up in open time. They had already planned out the rental car, exactly where to go, and the weather was perfect! Totally hit the jackpot on that one.
4. I'm going to miss a lot of things. I'm going to miss flying the 175, as I found myself incredibly comfortable flying that airplane, and felt like I always knew what it was doing and how to make it do what I want. The airplane I'll be flying now is far less automated and almost never lets you get comfortable...
On a related note, I'm also going to miss driving to work (at least until I can get off said airplane).
But above all, I'm going to miss the crews. Seriously, going to work at Compass hardly ever felt like work because we'd always have a blast. My #1 complaint I'd get was from the flight attendants saying "Hey, what's going on up there? The first class passengers can hear you laughing and are wondering what's going on." The highest compliment I ever got at Compass was from a FO I flew with who dropped the last 2.5 days of a 5 day trip we were on. On the last leg he and I were together he told me "You know, man? I dropped the last half of this trip because I don't like doing 5 day trips, but I've had so much fun with you, I regret dropping it. I'd fly a 5 day with you anytime." I always made sure to enjoy the layovers as well, which while I'll still enjoy them, it'd be nice if I got to spend more of them with more than just the guy I've spent all day sitting next to already.

Glad to be moving on, but also definitely missing my Compass peeps. Maybe that's why I keep posting on this board for the last few months...

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Well said homie

Poser765
08-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Well, shoot, I guess it's time for me to finally spill the beans.

1. Just under 3 years and 3 months
2. WidgetCo
3. So many great memories to choose from, but probably my favorite was touring Banff with a crew I had never met on a random 2 day trip I picked up in open time. They had already planned out the rental car, exactly where to go, and the weather was perfect! Totally hit the jackpot on that one.
4. I'm going to miss a lot of things. I'm going to miss flying the 175, as I found myself incredibly comfortable flying that airplane, and felt like I always knew what it was doing and how to make it do what I want. The airplane I'll be flying now is far less automated and almost never lets you get comfortable...
On a related note, I'm also going to miss driving to work (at least until I can get off said airplane).
But above all, I'm going to miss the crews. Seriously, going to work at Compass hardly ever felt like work because we'd always have a blast. My #1 complaint I'd get was from the flight attendants saying "Hey, what's going on up there? The first class passengers can hear you laughing and are wondering what's going on." The highest compliment I ever got at Compass was from a FO I flew with who dropped the last 2.5 days of a 5 day trip we were on. On the last leg he and I were together he told me "You know, man? I dropped the last half of this trip because I don't like doing 5 day trips, but I've had so much fun with you, I regret dropping it. I'd fly a 5 day with you anytime." I always made sure to enjoy the layovers as well, which while I'll still enjoy them, it'd be nice if I got to spend more of them with more than just the guy I've spent all day sitting next to already.

Glad to be moving on, but also definitely missing my Compass peeps. Maybe that's why I keep posting on this board for the last few months...cheers, buddy. Good luck at your next Air Line.

Fr8Thrust
09-03-2018, 01:08 AM

Yeah, much like the takeoff warning horn, you just ignore it until you rotate!
:D

BobbyLeeSwagger
09-10-2018, 08:02 PM
2. Where you're going.
3. Your favorite memory.

TroutBum:

1. On compass forums for 6 months
2. QX
3.Travel Guitar thread
4. The Peruvian Flute Band

TroutBum
09-11-2018, 08:45 AM
TroutBum:

1. On compass forums for 6 months
2. QX
3.Travel Guitar thread
4. The Peruvian Flute Band

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/a9/fb/14a9fb224552fb54196aadcdd74072b1.jpg

210Av8r
09-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Itís been quiet for a while here. Nobody has any achievements to share with the group? Címon, donít be bashful.

EuroMexPilot
10-18-2018, 12:24 AM
It’s been quiet for a while here. Nobody has any achievements to share with the group? C’mon, don’t be bashful.

Not much else to do on a transon redeye, so I'll play.

1. Just over 3 years at CPZ 2015-2018. Also a couple years at XJT prior to that.
2. BlueBaby
3. Fave memory of flying a brand new AA E175 that still had the sign-off from Brazil on the front page of the log book. Also, the great YVR overnights.
4. Will miss overnighting with the great crews. Here we don't overnight with the FAs and rarely spend more than 2 legs with the same FAs. It's not uncommon for me to not even see the ones working in the back. Enjoy the camaraderie while you can. Also miss the mighty jungle jet. The bus is quite lacking compared to the Embraer. Also miss driving to work. Transcon commuting is the pits.

Miss you guys

cfiguy11
10-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Iíll bite. At compass from 2010-2015 when DTW was still a thing. Compass was my 2nd regional but by far the most fun Iíve had at ďworkĒ. I was obviously part of the flow but what I miss is the full crew layovers. Having a pilot/FA crew for the entire trip made for some great memories.

ELAC321
10-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Left for Alaska

Favorite memories include

Infamous Email: "Ugh"

The guy that got upset over his pen and people stuffed his V-file full of hotel pens

"Emergency blow the slides" at 3:01 on the tarmac

The guy that said "long time listener, first time caller" on the conference call

When my PA button unknowingly got stuck on pushback

When scheduling offered to buy me clothes if I would turn a day trip into a 2 day (only had headset)

When an FO almost had me believing him that Delta was going to staple us

Email from management saying ALL EMPLOYEES could wear their favorite NFL jerseys to work the next day

So many others..

NeverFlexTO
10-18-2018, 05:52 PM
1. 4.5 years

2. Mother D

3. The back of the yoke clips, especially the MW flow chart

4. The culture...enjoy it while youíre there. Mother D is my 4th airline. There is no interaction with the FAs, most of the captains are great but the conversations arenít remotely close to the ones I had at Compass. Mostly about there 2nd homes and kinds of boats they own. There was never any entitlement at Compass everyone got along and made it an extremely enjoyable place to work. With that being said, Compass has a great reputation at Mother D...

sMFer
10-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Why not...Iíll play.

1. Just shy of 3 years.
2. Orange, red and blue 737ís
3a. Ugh email. Emb parts email. Too many CC All emails.
3b. Probably December of 2016..LA had wx, airport turned around and an epic meltdown ensued. Broke 3 hour tarmac rule, Ops didnít care...blocked 5:59 from YVR to the gate in LA. Was supposed to fly to SAT after...called sked and told them Iíd have about 16 mins once door was closed to be airborne so it wasnít gonna work. (Pushes were taking upwards of 30 mins and I was an immediate brake dropper). They insisted on boarding. About to close door and they pulled us. Flight cancelled and I went to hotel.
4. Miss the crews. Never fly more than a few legs with FAs and the bases are so big you donít cross paths too often. Loved the Embraer and how easy it was. Now I gotta flip so many switches itís ridiculous. Have a lot of good friends Iíll always keep in contact with. If yíall want a letter when you need one, shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Left for Alaska

The guy that got upset over his pen and people stuffed his V-file full of hotel pens

The guy that said "long time listener, first time caller" on the conference call

When scheduling offered to buy me clothes if I would turn a day trip into a 2 day (only had headset)

Email from management saying ALL EMPLOYEES could wear their favorite NFL jerseys to work the next day

So many others..

Thank you for this lol.. And your post too sMFer... Rofl.. My QOL took a hit when the good folks in MSP learned how NOT to "reply all".. What a shame. 2016 was a fun year of compass shenanigans

VIRotate
10-18-2018, 09:14 PM
Why not...Iíll play.

1. Just shy of 3 years.
2. Orange, red and blue 737ís
3a. Ugh email. Emb parts email. Too many CC All emails.
3b. Probably December of 2016..LA had wx, airport turned around and an epic meltdown ensued. Broke 3 hour tarmac rule, Ops didnít care...blocked 5:59 from YVR to the gate in LA. Was supposed to fly to SAT after...called sked and told them Iíd have about 16 mins once door was closed to be airborne so it wasnít gonna work. (Pushes were taking upwards of 30 mins and I was an immediate brake dropper). They insisted on boarding. About to close door and they pulled us. Flight cancelled and I went to hotel.
4. Miss the crews. Never fly more than a few legs with FAs and the bases are so big you donít cross paths too often. Loved the Embraer and how easy it was. Now I gotta flip so many switches itís ridiculous. Have a lot of good friends Iíll always keep in contact with. If yíall want a letter when you need one, shoot me a PM.

Remember commuting out of SMF with the food poisoning incident? I was in the right seat. Weíve flown together 2 or 3 times! Hope youíre LUVing (see what I did there?) manually opening and closing bleeds over there! Glad you got the job.

210Av8r
10-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Remember commuting out of SMF with the food poisoning incident? I was in the right seat. Weíve flown together 2 or 3 times! Hope youíre LUVing (see what I did there?) manually opening and closing bleeds over there! Glad you got the job.

Would it ever be possible to arrange a gathering of first hand stories like these at a cheesy hotel bar that only served cold beer in the form of cans of Bud Light? That forum would be golden.

VIRotate
10-19-2018, 01:24 AM
Would it ever be possible to arrange a gathering of first hand stories like these at a cheesy hotel bar that only served cold beer in the form of cans of Bud Light? That forum would be golden.

There sure is! A certain hotel bar in MSP during recurrent! Filled with CPZ guys and girls as far as the eye can see.

sMFer
10-19-2018, 08:20 AM

How can I forget? Getting confronted by the DL pilot afterwards because I let the CA fly in the back when he and sked agreed that he was better and could go back to LA. Hindsight...shouldíve made him stay in SMF.

FlytheSky
10-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Left for Alaska

So many others..

Man, I laughed at way too many if these, and sadly I doubt I'll ever see anything like this in the rest of my career now that I'm gone. Definitely going to miss the funny emails. The gossip we all got from the ladies in STL, the requests for information about new hire Tech Ops folks, and the information about flight attendants getting fired was just too entertaining, too. I guess the "how to use email" CBT they finally got must have worked...

VIRotate
10-19-2018, 12:30 PM
How can I forget? Getting confronted by the DL pilot afterwards because I let the CA fly in the back when he and sked agreed that he was better and could go back to LA. Hindsight...shouldíve made him stay in SMF.

Ahh those were the days!

Beechnutz
03-06-2019, 09:50 AM
2. Where you're going.
3. Your favorite memory.

Was at CPZ for a total of 13 months. Never thought Iíd move on so fast!

Iím at SY learning the 737 now. And having a blast.

Flying up and down the west coast has given me so if the most beautiful flights. Recently flew from Calgary to Salt Lake on a rare clear day enjoying the Canadian Rockies to Glacier Park over Yellowstone and into SLC. What a flight.

Will miss the people. Flew with some of the most fun and best people in the business. Will also miss the 175. It could possible be the most advance plane I end up flying in my career. Spoiled we are.

Taco280AI
03-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Previous 121 or military time?

I have no idea what Sun Country hires at

word302
03-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Check out their pay rates. I'm betting they're not super selective.

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Check out their pay rates. I'm betting they're not super selective.

Watch SY get bought by WN lol

word302
03-06-2019, 12:38 PM

That would be like winning the lottery for SY pilots.

Beechnutz
03-06-2019, 01:29 PM

A little more 121 but not much. I did fly 135 for a couple years.

Class seems to be a spread of regional guys with 1 to 15 years experience. Iíd say average of a 2-3 years regional experience.

If you want to fly 737ís all over the world it sounds like a sweet gig.

Plus thereís the chance of a SouthWest buyout!

Beechnutz
03-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Iíve bought my lottery ticket BL

word302
03-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Class seems to be a spread of regional guys with 1 to 15 years experience. Iíd say average of a 2-3 years regional experience.

If you want to fly 737ís all over the world for the worst rates in the country it sounds like a sweet gig.

Fixed it for you

Beechnutz
03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Still more than I made at CPZ.

HulkaBurger
03-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Pretty much that same chance they've been hoping for/talking about since SWA bought Morris Air decades ago? :p

BobbyLeeSwagger
03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Iíve bought my lottery ticket BL

I hope you win man haha.. Make sure you update your post here in 3 yrs when it happens-- just post a pic of your wings on a bed of money and we will just close the thread :)

Beechnutz
03-06-2019, 04:44 PM
I hope you win man haha.. Make sure you update your post here in 3 yrs when it happens-- just post a pic of your wings on a bed of money and we will just close the thread :)

Wilco Bobby Lee

ninerdriver
03-06-2019, 06:06 PM

If you want to fly 737ís all over the world it sounds like a sweet gig.

SY has been a gold mine for 9E MSP captains who got sick of being on reserve with fifteen years of seniority. We've had bunches go there lately.

Beechnutz
03-06-2019, 06:37 PM
SY has been a gold mine for 9E MSP captains who got sick of being on reserve with fifteen years of seniority. We've had bunches go there lately.

Yup have a couple in class. Good dudes for sure.

210Av8r
03-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Was at CPZ for a total of 13 months. Never thought I’d move on so fast!

I’m at SY learning the 737 now. And having a blast.

Flying up and down the west coast has given me so if the most beautiful flights. Recently flew from Calgary to Salt Lake on a rare clear day enjoying the Canadian Rockies to Glacier Park over Yellowstone and into SLC. What a flight.

Will miss the people. Flew with some of the most fun and best people in the business. Will also miss the 175. It could possible be the most advance plane I end up flying in my career. Spoiled we are.

Very awesome and congrats! So happy for you!
I’m still in the cooker at OO ground. It’s intense but very fun. Picture day tomorrow.

Beechnutz
03-07-2019, 03:09 AM
Very awesome and congrats! So happy for you!
Iím still in the cooker at OO ground. Itís intense but very fun. Picture day tomorrow.

Thanks buddy!

When you get done with ground and into the sim it gets better. Have fun!

Slowhawk
03-07-2019, 02:54 PM
SY is planning rapid expansion. This will come with low (2-3 year) upgrades for those in class now. Theyíre hurting badly for pilots, largely due to their pay rates being subpar.

They, like others, will hire below their listed ďminimumsĒ. They are in fact taking Cessna CFIís from Mankato straight to 737 FO at 1500 total. (Not to belittle Beechís accomplishment)

Their new ownership plans to build up the airline and expand, and if you ask me this might mean eventually sell for a profit (WN? ;) )

Iíd call it a win for anyone leaving compass as the 737 type is good for some extra points in airlineapps.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1