Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Airport car needed in JFK or BOS?

TorukMacto
08-25-2018, 06:31 AM
From reading these threads Iíve learned that a new hire can expect a couple years of reserve in JFK or BOS. As a commuter I assume a crash pad is a must, but is a car needed? Iím still in the pool, but am deciding if I should trade in my current car when I get my new one next month or keep it as an airport car for a possible future job.

BeatNavy
08-25-2018, 07:13 AM
From reading these threads Iíve learned that a new hire can expect a couple years of reserve in JFK or BOS. As a commuter I assume a crash pad is a must, but is a car needed? Iím still in the pool, but am deciding if I should trade in my current car when I get my new one next month or keep it as an airport car for a possible future job.

In NY no car is needed. Company provides a bus from JFK-Kew hourly.

coopervane
08-25-2018, 07:16 AM

I never NEEDED a car in BOS or JFK. The public transportation is good in both cities. But it would be nice to have access to one.

The major issue is parking. In E. Boston, the parking is horrible and I can only imagine the situation in Kew. You certainly wonít be driving it to the airport EVER.

It would be nice to use for exploring while on reserve. Or better yet using it as an UBER or LYFT while sitting reserve. You could split it with your crashpad roomies for that purpose.

I know I would have loved to drive an UBER while sitting RES in BOS insetead of watching all the seasons of GOT.

TorukMacto
08-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the input. Thatís what I thought, but I have limited experience in the Northeast, so I wasnít sure. Excuse my ignorance, but what is Kew?

Iím definitely not the Uber/Lyft type guy, so Iíll probably trade it in.

BeatNavy
08-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the input. Thatís what I thought, but I have limited experience in the Northeast, so I wasnít sure. Excuse my ignorance, but what is Kew?

Iím definitely not the Uber/Lyft type guy, so Iíll probably trade it in.

Kew Gardens is where most of the crash pads are.

Std Deviation
08-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Kew?

It’s a magically land where 40 year old men live packed together on bunk beds built for 9 yr olds. And despite the rest of the country being closed, all the establishments and restaurants are open on Christmas. :D:D:D It’s magical.

TeamSasquatch
08-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Itís a magically land where 40 year old men live packed together on bunk beds built for 9 yr olds. And despite the rest of the country being closed, all the establishments and restaurants are open on Christmas. :D:D:D Itís magical.

This made my day! Iíve never gotten off the train here... maybe next Christmas I will!

launchpad
08-25-2018, 03:40 PM
In Boston, you definitely won't need a car. You're always a 6$ cab ride away from the airport, and a train station is usually not far away from most crashpads. A place near the rental car center will make it a 5 minute walk to a free airport bus. JFK has the company shuttle that's less than a 10 minute walk from most crashpads.

Both cities have decent public transport to get you other places...

RedOverWhite
08-25-2018, 03:49 PM
RSV isnít quite a couple of years....for August junior lineholder was 9 months in BOS and 6 months in JFK (on the 190). Keep in mind that is with folks above them bidding reserve, and it could always change from one month to the next.

Junior JFK lineholder on the 320 is about 12 or 13 months, not sure about BOS.

BeatNavy
08-25-2018, 04:05 PM
RSV isnít quite a couple of years....for August junior lineholder was 9 months in BOS and 6 months in JFK (on the 190). Keep in mind that is with folks above them bidding reserve, and it could always change from one month to the next.

With this new contract reserve will go senior itís so good. Oh wait...

TorukMacto
08-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all of the great info. Now I just need to get a class date.

Any estimates on time to get to FLL?

BeatNavy
08-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all of the great info. Now I just need to get a class date.

Any estimates on time to get to FLL?

Year or two Iíd guess. I hear AA has a junior base down there, a better contract, a better network, and way more retirements than jetblue. Good luck! Hope they call soon.

175drvr
08-25-2018, 05:37 PM

Junior JFK 320 lineholder is 03/18 hire.

Not 12 months.

BeatNavy
08-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Junior JFK 320 lineholder is 03/18 hire.

Not 12 months.

Just looked at the Sep awards. Jan 2018 hires are on reserve. A handful of more junior guys got lines who had recurrent or carryover trips. But seniority number 3512 is about where the split is. And frankly I wouldnít want any of those lines for several pages above him. Maybe theyíll be better once ADG kicks in October 1st. Also, there are a lot of 190 guys who will come in on top of them with the transition in the next bid. I donít have a crystal ball, but I think reserve time may suck on the bus for a while. Probably will be much shorter on the 190. Anyone hired on the bus today will likely have at least a year on reserve, and Iíd guess more than that. Maybe some will get lucky with 6-9 months, but I wouldnít count on it.

Papa Bear
08-26-2018, 05:54 AM
You would be crazy to get a car in BOS...parking, taxes and emissions holy moly...Nah itís within walking distance in BOS to some really good crash pads.
NYC we got the Kew runner, nobody drives...I actually know one guy who rides a Motorized Skateboard to Terminal 5 for his trips to UVF.

Papa Bear
08-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Like guys have said those bottom lines are probably worse than RSV...a lot of times the move up lines give you much more flexibility with controlling your schedule. Iím one of those. I bid rsv and I can drop and swap into a really nice line with the move up lines. Takes work but I barely sit rsv and when I do I usually donít get called.

CX500T
08-26-2018, 06:21 AM
Delta guy in a mainly JB crashpad here.

Nobody has a car except one guy who lives far enough out he can't sit short call at home, but still faster to drive than fly to come into work (Catskill mountains area). We're in Ozone Park though. Parking is not as insane as Kew or Boston.

Ozone Park is a reasonably short walk to the Air Train (free) from where most of the crash pads are in the 150th-130th ave area off Lefferts. I've cab'd to the terminal once in 9 months in NYC just because it was too hot to walk mid day.

tm602
08-26-2018, 07:04 AM
In NY no car is needed. Company provides a bus from JFK-Kew hourly.

Is that 24/7 (reserve times can be strange I imagine).

BeatNavy
08-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Is that 24/7 (reserve times can be strange I imagine).

Leaves at 50 past the hour from Kew to the airport starting at 450am. Last one is at 2350. Leaves T5 for kew at 30 past starting at 530am. Last one is extended until 0050. So thereís a window it doesnít work and Q cab is necessary. Also, it doesnít go to LGA, but we get reimbursed $18.50 each way for LGA trips, which covers a car from kew.

tm602
08-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Thanks, looks like even reserves can manage without a car.

Std Deviation
08-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Thanks, looks like even reserves can manage without a car.

I realize thereís a couple of those commercial ďno judgementĒ gyms very close but if you want a no contract (heck, not even an ID) $5 per day gym (or $25 month no contract, just pay cash) where the barbells go to 125 lbs and the 3 ladies that work out there donít ever miss leg day, walk (or run, itís your workout) the 1.5 miles each way to Richies Gym on 101st and 101st.

I hardly ever flew on reserve so I was there 3-4 days a week and got prison fit in 3 months. After a month or two theyíll figure youíre on work release anyway and youíll have to decide which gang to join. Thereís a precinct a block away so itís a lot of cops, EMS, Fire, and mafioso guys who work out in jeans and a sleeveless white t shirt with a gold crucifix hanging out. Seriously.

But you know what they say about gyms - if youíre the biggest guy there youíre at the wrong gym.:eek:

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1