Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Which interview prep company

AirbusA321Pilot
08-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Was wondering for the guys and girls that have done the video interview recently. Which company did you use to get the questions that are asked? and how accurate were they? Thanks in advance.

Slowmover
08-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Was wondering for the guys and girls that have done the video interview recently. Which company did you use to get the questions that are asked? and how accurate were they? Thanks in advance.

I did the video interview in January. I used Checked and Set for app review and Emerald Coast for interview prep. Emerald Coast had some gouge for it that matched gouge I found elsewhere. The video interview is fairly low-threat and EC scoffed at me when I asked for one-on-one prep for it ("we'll give you some if you really want it but we don't think you need it"). But their prep was exceptionally helpful for the actual interview. Definitely worth it.

A week before my interview I heard the American hiring speech at a job fair. One of the speakers was also an interviewer. I asked her if she had any specific tips for my interview the next week and her advice was "get some interview prep."

Can't say enough good stuff about Emerald Coast. I did not use and I don't think you need RST for AA.

Sunfish FAIP
08-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Heads up!!!!

AA changed the video interview questions mid Aug 2018. If you are coming up on your video invite, DO NOT start the recording until youíve spoken to someone from Emerald Coast. Just like previously mentioned, interview consulting is an absolute must and I trusted the guys at Emerald to get me my CJO here at AA. Do not waste your hard earn money on RST, not needed at all!

Just my 2 cents

AirbusA321Pilot
08-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Thank you Sunfish FAIP and Slowmover very much, I really appreciate the info and heads up. Thank you again and all the best to you both.

flydc
08-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Emerald Coast, for sure. I had offers from AA and FedEx.

Omnivorous
08-27-2018, 10:25 AM

Do you mind sharing your resume bullet points? Times, education, experience, etc.

flydc
08-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Do you mind sharing your resume bullet points? Times, education, experience, etc.

5500hrs, 2000tpic, no military, part-121 CRJ-700/900 check airman and recruiter, 4yr Aviation degree with decent GPA, volunteer experience, memberships at NGPA/WIA/OBAP, and about 5 job fairs. I was hired Jan 2017.

For what itís worth, I was turned down by United back in 2015. I prepped for that interview with Cage. I later used Emerald Coast and I felt like they provided a lot more material to study.

Omnivorous
08-27-2018, 11:29 AM
5500hrs, 2000tpic, no military, part-121 CRJ-700/900 check airman and recruiter, 4yr Aviation degree with decent GPA, volunteer experience, memberships at NGPA/WIA/OBAP, and about 5 job fairs. I was hired Jan 2017.

For what itís worth, I was turned down by United back in 2015. I prepped for that interview with Cage. I later used Emerald Coast and I felt like they provided a lot more material to study.

Great info, thank you. What job fairs did you attend that included AA? Trying to get some plans formulated for the remainder of the year/beginning of 2019.

AirbusA321Pilot
08-27-2018, 04:26 PM

Thank you flydc, appreciate it.

AirbusA321Pilot
08-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Quick question, RST?

flydc
08-28-2018, 04:41 AM
Quick question, RST?

You don't need RST for AA, as AA does not have a knowledge test. There is somewhat of a cognitive test at AA, but it's nothing like the DL/FX test that RST preps you for.

AirbusA321Pilot
08-28-2018, 08:33 AM
You don't need RST for AA, as AA does not have a knowledge test. There is somewhat of a cognitive test at AA, but it's nothing like the DL/FX test that RST preps you for.

Thank you flydc, appreciate the info. I was just wondering what RST stood for.

Sunfish FAIP
08-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Ready Set Takeoff.

redbaronahp
08-29-2018, 02:43 AM
For what itís worth I used ECIC and RST for my interviews at FedEx and Delta but wasnít successful. I believe I failed the panel at both interviews. I found both to be extremely stressful events and high threat situations where they are looking for you to fail. Compare that to AA which was very welcoming and a pleasant experience. I felt valued, respected, and wanted. I still had to prove myself but it seemed like everyone is rooting for you to succeed.

Day 1 of the AA interview I looked at some test gouge for 30 minutes the morning of the testing and thatís it. You canít really prepare for the tests so I didnít try to overthink it. I just wanted a heads up of what I was going to be doing that day. The PowerPoints that I received from a friend were accurate and informative but didnít help with the testing. Day 2 was great. I enjoyed speaking with everyone I met. They were all very friendly and I felt the process was mostly about getting to know me and whether they wanted to fly with me. I never felt like I was in the hot seat. I prepared with the aviation interviews website gouge and simply went over stories from my career to answer the questions. The biggest difference in interviews aside from how they treated me was that AA provides a pen and paper during the panel. Use it. I wrote down the question and bullet points for what I wanted to say before talking. This made it much easier for me to answer questions since I didnít have to do this in my head. Then Iíd occasionally glance at my notes while talking to make sure I hit the points I wanted. This was a huge help for staying on message and not putting my foot in my mouth. I spent $20 on prep fees for the gouge and landed the job of my dreams.

AirbusA321Pilot
08-29-2018, 02:53 PM
For what itís worth I used ECIC and RST for my interviews at FedEx and Delta but wasnít successful. I believe I failed the panel at both interviews. I found both to be extremely stressful events and high threat situations where they are looking for you to fail. Compare that to AA which was very welcoming and a pleasant experience. I felt valued, respected, and wanted. I still had to prove myself but it seemed like everyone is rooting for you to succeed.

Day 1 of the AA interview I looked at some test gouge for 30 minutes the morning of the testing and thatís it. You canít really prepare for the tests so I didnít try to overthink it. I just wanted a heads up of what I was going to be doing that day. The PowerPoints that I received from a friend were accurate and informative but didnít help with the testing. Day 2 was great. I enjoyed speaking with everyone I met. They were all very friendly and I felt the process was mostly about getting to know me and whether they wanted to fly with me. I never felt like I was in the hot seat. I prepared with the aviation interviews website gouge and simply went over stories from my career to answer the questions. The biggest difference in interviews aside from how they treated me was that AA provides a pen and paper during the panel. Use it. I wrote down the question and bullet points for what I wanted to say before talking. This made it much easier for me to answer questions since I didnít have to do this in my head. Then Iíd occasionally glance at my notes while talking to make sure I hit the points I wanted. This was a huge help for staying on message and not putting my foot in my mouth. I spent $20 on prep fees for the gouge and landed the job of my dreams.

Thank you redbaronahp, I appreciate all the info, congratulations on your success. Just out of curiosity did you use what you learned from Emerald Coast for the video portion?

TankerDriver
08-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Heads up!!!!

AA changed the video interview questions mid Aug 2018. If you are coming up on your video invite, DO NOT start the recording until youíve spoken to someone from Emerald Coast. Just like previously mentioned, interview consulting is an absolute must and I trusted the guys at Emerald to get me my CJO here at AA. Do not waste your hard earn money on RST, not needed at all!

Just my 2 centsAre they really that much different?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

FishingMoney
08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Another nod for ECIC. Used them for interviews with DAL, AAL and FDX. CJOs from the first two, awaiting the third.

Nothing cosmic about the framework ECIC teaches (the owner will tell you that) BUT they were absolutely invaluable in helping me structure my responses instead of just babbling. Money well spent, IMO. No matter what, be yourself and do not give canned responses. Every company I interviewed with stressed how important getting to know me was in the hiring decision. Canned answers undermine that objective and sets off warning alarms with your interviewers.

As previously mentioned, the Video questions are changing. They are still pretty easy, however. Use all of the time you are given to prepare, smile as you are delivering your response and stop the recording when you are done to eliminate the awkward silence.

Zero need for RST for the AAL test. In fact, I recommend NOT prepping for it at all beyond having an idea of the setup. The test is designed to fluster you. You are being evaluated on resiliency. RST is an absolute must for the DAL and FDX JKT.

FM

Cheddar
08-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Emerald Coast. Worth. Every. Penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redbaronahp
08-31-2018, 05:04 AM
Thank you redbaronahp, I appreciate all the info, congratulations on your success. Just out of curiosity did you use what you learned from Emerald Coast for the video portion?

I wonít say ECIC didnít help because I try to learn from all life experiences but having failed more than once helped me to actually understand what ECIC taught. When asked a question a different way than I prepared for I didnít see in the moment that what they wanted wasnít what they were asking. Example: What do you know about the history of this company isnít tell us chronologically about the history of the company. Interview prep will tell you that but for me no matter how much I paid someone and prepped I didnít feel the same in the moment and didnít figure out how best to answer the question until after the fact. Being in real interviews helped me learn to manage the stress and taught me how to put my best foot forward.

My preparation was different though for AA. I was so worried about the tests at FedEx and Delta that I spent far more time on passing the tests than just practicing sitting and talking. I prepped for 10 hours just for the video interview at AA. I sat at my laptop talking and watching my body language, facial expressions, and tone of my voice. I also sent the videos to fellow pilots and tweaked my presentation. As I went through my career stories for AA I started seeing how I could use just a few good stories for other related questions. I didnít understand that when prep companies said it. AA asked me about times I had received good and bad crew briefings. I used that question to tell my leadership story while also answering their question. I didnít do that at other interviews.

Pilots are usually taught that in a checkride only to answer the question that is asked so I had to learn the hard way not to do that in an interview. ECIC will certainly tell you that if you want to pay for their service.

Name User
08-31-2018, 05:38 AM
I didn't do any paid interview prep but my experience was similar to Red Baron. I used my laptop to video my responses and watch my body language. I went through my logbook and pulled out the various scenarios/events I had written down in it over time, from kicking passengers off to first week of CA seat to an engine failure. I didn't even use note cards I was too cheap to even buy those, I ripped up paper into squares and wrote down sample questions and randomized them.

Going into it I was fairly confident and had a good amount of stories that could work for most any type of question even if it wasn't exactly asked like the gauge said. I had a few that were similar but most were a little different.

AirbusA321Pilot
09-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Another nod for ECIC. Used them for interviews with DAL, AAL and FDX. CJOs from the first two, awaiting the third.

Nothing cosmic about the framework ECIC teaches (the owner will tell you that) BUT they were absolutely invaluable in helping me structure my responses instead of just babbling. Money well spent, IMO. No matter what, be yourself and do not give canned responses. Every company I interviewed with stressed how important getting to know me was in the hiring decision. Canned answers undermine that objective and sets off warning alarms with your interviewers.

As previously mentioned, the Video questions are changing. They are still pretty easy, however. Use all of the time you are given to prepare, smile as you are delivering your response and stop the recording when you are done to eliminate the awkward silence.

Zero need for RST for the AAL test. In fact, I recommend NOT prepping for it at all beyond having an idea of the setup. The test is designed to fluster you. You are being evaluated on resiliency. RST is an absolute must for the DAL and FDX JKT.

FM

Thank you, great info.

AirbusA321Pilot
09-01-2018, 07:59 AM
I wonít say ECIC didnít help because I try to learn from all life experiences but having failed more than once helped me to actually understand what ECIC taught. When asked a question a different way than I prepared for I didnít see in the moment that what they wanted wasnít what they were asking. Example: What do you know about the history of this company isnít tell us chronologically about the history of the company. Interview prep will tell you that but for me no matter how much I paid someone and prepped I didnít feel the same in the moment and didnít figure out how best to answer the question until after the fact. Being in real interviews helped me learn to manage the stress and taught me how to put my best foot forward.

My preparation was different though for AA. I was so worried about the tests at FedEx and Delta that I spent far more time on passing the tests than just practicing sitting and talking. I prepped for 10 hours just for the video interview at AA. I sat at my laptop talking and watching my body language, facial expressions, and tone of my voice. I also sent the videos to fellow pilots and tweaked my presentation. As I went through my career stories for AA I started seeing how I could use just a few good stories for other related questions. I didnít understand that when prep companies said it. AA asked me about times I had received good and bad crew briefings. I used that question to tell my leadership story while also answering their question. I didnít do that at other interviews.

Pilots are usually taught that in a checkride only to answer the question that is asked so I had to learn the hard way not to do that in an interview. ECIC will certainly tell you that if you want to pay for their service.

Thank you very much, you have given me allot to think about.

AirbusA321Pilot
09-01-2018, 08:02 AM
I didn't do any paid interview prep but my experience was similar to Red Baron. I used my laptop to video my responses and watch my body language. I went through my logbook and pulled out the various scenarios/events I had written down in it over time, from kicking passengers off to first week of CA seat to an engine failure. I didn't even use note cards I was too cheap to even buy those, I ripped up paper into squares and wrote down sample questions and randomized them.

Going into it I was fairly confident and had a good amount of stories that could work for most any type of question even if it wasn't exactly asked like the gauge said. I had a few that were similar but most were a little different.

Thank you for your input. I had to laugh when you said that you were to cheap to buy index cards. Thanks for the laugh.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1