Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : AA Job Fairs

Omnivorous
08-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Poking around the interwebs today looking for information on upcoming job fairs that AA will attend. Does anyone know of any job fairs taking place in the remainder of 2018? Any springtime job fairs that AA might attend?

I've checked FAPA and it looks like only regional airline job fairs through the end of the year. I'm unfamiliar with them and looking for any scuttlebutt on AA's job fair "behavior."

Trying to get some face time! Thanks.

Name User
08-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Poking around the interwebs today looking for information on upcoming job fairs that AA will attend. Does anyone know of any job fairs taking place in the remainder of 2018? Any springtime job fairs that AA might attend?

I've checked FAPA and it looks like only regional airline job fairs through the end of the year. I'm unfamiliar with them and looking for any scuttlebutt on AA's job fair "behavior."

Trying to get some face time! Thanks.

Are you civ? If so I would not waste time or effort at this point. Focus on Delta, United, and SWA.

If mil, maybe those guys can chime in but I don't think job fairs are really needed. You'll probably at least get a call provided your resume is competitive.

Omnivorous
08-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Are you civ? If so I would not waste time or effort at this point. Focus on Delta, United, and SWA.

If mil, maybe those guys can chime in but I don't think job fairs are really needed. You'll probably at least get a call provided your resume is competitive.

Yes, 100% civ. Is there still that much preference given to mil folks? I have quite a few internal recs and would love for AA to work out.

All input appreciated, thank you.

Covfefe
08-27-2018, 12:36 PM

Completely disagree. That’s even MORE reason for him to go to a job fair.

Covfefe
08-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Yes, 100% civ. Is there still that much preference given to mil folks? I have quite a few internal recs and would love for AA to work out.

All input appreciated, thank you.

Off the street hires are heavily military because AA has a lot of flows. Yet there are still civ folks hired off the street, although not the percentages of other majors. Do everything you possibly can to get your name out there.

Here are the FAPA Aero events that AA will be attending:
Anchorage: Sept. 22, 2018
Atlanta: Oct. 20, 2018
Honolulu: Nov. 10, 2018
Dallas/Fort Worth: Dec. 8, 2018

Omnivorous
08-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Off the street hires are heavily military because AA has a lot of flows. Yet there are still civ folks hired off the street, although not the percentages of other majors. Do everything you possibly can to get your name out there.

Here are the FAPA Aero events that AA will be attending:
Anchorage: Sept. 22, 2018
Atlanta: Oct. 20, 2018
Honolulu: Nov. 10, 2018
Dallas/Fort Worth: Dec. 8, 2018

Thanks. Referencing the FAPA site, it shows that the events you listed will NOT be attended by major airlines, just regionals. Is that an error? Again, not familiar with the job fair mechanics.

Crucero
08-27-2018, 12:48 PM
What can applicants expect for tommorow's virtual job fair? (Aug 28) I have never attended a " virtual" job fair!
What's it like?
Thanks..

stillageek
08-27-2018, 04:20 PM
I'm 100% civilian hired at AA because I went to job fairs. I'm nothing special.

Covfefe
08-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Thanks. Referencing the FAPA site, it shows that the events you listed will NOT be attended by major airlines, just regionals. Is that an error? Again, not familiar with the job fair mechanics.

You might be right... that was a cut/paste from an APA email... upon second reading, it just says that it will be an informational forum and not necessarily that AA will be there. Sorry, not quite sure why they even bothered to send that. Regardless, if you find an event that AA is attending, GO!!!! Anything else is horrible advice.

HiFlyer992
08-27-2018, 05:22 PM
What can applicants expect for tommorow's virtual job fair? (Aug 28) I have never attended a " virtual" job fair!
What's it like?
Thanks..

Is this something that will show our face on the computer camera? If so what is the attire?
I also have not attended. Something like this. Should be interesting.

Omnivorous
08-27-2018, 05:24 PM
You might be right... that was a cut/paste from an APA email... upon second reading, it just says that it will be an informational forum and not necessarily that AA will be there. Sorry, not quite sure why they even bothered to send that. Regardless, if you find an event that AA is attending, GO!!!! Anything else is horrible advice.

Thank you very much! Wilco.

hercengmech
08-27-2018, 05:27 PM
The above posters are right that you are at a bit of a disadvantage if you’re a non-flow civilian. That being said, more than 10% of my new hire class was civ off the street. I wouldn’t miss an AA Job Fair i could make it because in my limited experience, AA is a lot about making connections with the right people. That could certainly happen at a fair. You never know. AA isn’t like some of the companies that use black and white computer data to set the bar for interviewees. Just my two cents.

Monkey Wrench
08-27-2018, 05:37 PM
If you fit the profile for OBAP, WIA, or NGPA- go to a job fair if AA is there. Otherwise you have about a .5% chance of OTS unless you are military or maybe a Chief Pilot’s kid. That’s the facts.

Covfefe
08-27-2018, 07:02 PM
If you fit the profile for OBAP, WIA, or NGPA- go to a job fair if AA is there. Otherwise you have about a .5% chance of OTS unless you are military or maybe a Chief Pilot’s kid. That’s the facts.

And yet, if you don’t pack the gear to do what it takes to rise above that .5%.... you can just sit in the gutter with the rest. I don’t give a rip what the numbers are. If you aren’t ALL IN, get comfortable where you are. Because others that want it more than you will seize it. The choice is yours. I busted my ass to get here.... sacrificed WAY more than I should have. If folks aren’t putting all the EASY feathers in their cap like job fairs, because they think they are wasting their time, well... then I’d be happy you’re not here.

notcool
08-27-2018, 10:03 PM
And yet, if you don’t pack the gear to do what it takes to rise above that .5%.... you can just sit in the gutter with the rest. I don’t give a rip what the numbers are. If you aren’t ALL IN, get comfortable where you are. Because others that want it more than you will seize it. The choice is yours. I busted my ass to get here.... sacrificed WAY more than I should have. If folks aren’t putting all the EASY feathers in their cap like job fairs, because they think they are wasting their time, well... then I’d be happy you’re not here.

Curious as to what things did you sacrifice way more than you should have? Would you say there are people who have busted their ass to get to AA and probably sacrificed even more than you have and yet still can't get a call? You are inflicted with ANS Arrogant Newhire Syndrome. You only want the job fair crowd to work there? Go read Fedex's thread about the job fair heroes and how they are turning out on the line. Have fun with that!

Covfefe
08-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Curious as to what things did you sacrifice way more than you should have?
- Mostly military related stuff that I didn’t need to do for the sake of career progression. Took years away from my family, missed the majority of my kids younger years, plus the birth of my daughter.
Would you say there are people who have busted their ass to get to AA and probably sacrificed even more than you have and yet still can't get a call?
- That’s ridiculous and I never suggested the contrary.
You are inflicted with ANS Arrogant Newhire Syndrome.
-I’m strangely comfortable with that!
You only want the job fair crowd to work there?
-Didn’t suggest that either. Just don’t want lazy people. My comments (mostly inspired by Jack Daniels) were directed toward the “don’t waste your time attitude” and busting your tail wherever it is you come from and not do some of the simple things like job fairs.

Well you’re a delicate one aren’t you...

450knotOffice
08-28-2018, 11:42 AM
Curious as to what things did you sacrifice way more than you should have? Would you say there are people who have busted their ass to get to AA and probably sacrificed even more than you have and yet still can't get a call? You are inflicted with ANS Arrogant Newhire Syndrome. You only want the job fair crowd to work there? Go read Fedex's thread about the job fair heroes and how they are turning out on the line. Have fun with that!

Settle down. You're reaching in a big way.

Crucero
08-28-2018, 11:55 AM
Anyone that was able to log in to the AA virtual job fair have anything new to pass on to applicants?

It wasn't possible for me to log in.

Thanks in advance.

Al Czervik
08-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Go read Fedex's thread about the job fair heroes and how they are turning out on the line. Have fun with that!

Link? Didn’t see a thread about this. Sounds good though.

Bilbo T Baggins
08-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Anyone that was able to log in to the AA virtual job fair have anything new to pass on to applicants?

It wasn't possible for me to log in.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I got from it-
Prefer 4000TT/ 2000PIC (seemed like total PIC not just TPIC)
49 of 458 hired were no flow/non military (10%)
Organizational Fit Assessment is one and done. (once you take it, that's it)
4 Letters of Rec (not required to be AA pilots)

other than that, there was an intro video, and a few chatrooms. people just asked their questions and an AA rep would answer. That's about it.

flydc
08-28-2018, 02:04 PM

So if you retake and pass it in 6 months, you're still out?

E175 Driver
08-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Just bypass all this Job Fair nonsense and apply to now of the wholly owned Regional. One easy interview and you get that mainline job!

FlewNavy
08-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Here's what I got from it-
Prefer 4000TT/ 2000PIC (seemed like total PIC not just TPIC)
49 of 458 hired were no flow/non military (10%)
4 Letters of Rec (not required to be AA pilots)

other than that, there was an intro video, and a few chatrooms. people just asked their questions and an AA rep would answer. That's about it.

Some folks that got 1v1 time with a virtual recruiter were given invites almost instantaneously for the video interview.

Weekendwarrior2
08-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Did you hear this directly from someone that got the invite right after? Not doubting, but just curious.

Westerner
08-28-2018, 04:49 PM
Some folks that got 1v1 time with a virtual recruiter were given invites almost instantaneously for the video interview.
I think that guy was trolling. Could be wrong though.

FlewNavy
08-28-2018, 05:35 PM
I think that guy was trolling. Could be wrong though.

Not trolling but I will wait for another forum member to chime in. I was in the queue but didn't realize the trick to get noticed was to get into an private chat with a recruiter. I left after watching the same question get asked again and again and watching the video where the chief pilot said 300 hours in the last 12 months was desired.

Edited to add that on the RST American facebook page there is a person I don't know that also verified getting interview invites after 1v1 chats.

FlyPurdue
08-28-2018, 07:16 PM

I was in attendance at the vFair today, and thought it was a good event. I liked how the Pilot Recruitment Team was transparent in discussing some of the key hiring metrics (currency, OrgFit, PIC time, etc), and also squashed some misinformation.

Captain Tatum is a colleague from my tenure at AA, and we were chatting this evening; he confirmed that 60+ people received video interview invites as a result of the vFair. Obviously with the popularity of the event, it sounds like the team was not able to chat with everyone, but rather anticipate similar events in the coming months. AA likes this career fair format as it does not require specific days off, being stateside, or hotel expenses - but still creates opportunities for networking.

Weekendwarrior2
08-28-2018, 08:52 PM
I was in attendance at the vFair today, and thought it was a good event. I liked how the Pilot Recruitment Team was transparent in discussing some of the key hiring metrics (currency, OrgFit, PIC time, etc), and also squashed some misinformation.

Captain Tatum is a colleague from my tenure at AA, and we were chatting this evening; he confirmed that 60+ people received video interview invites as a result of the vFair. Obviously with the popularity of the event, it sounds like the team was not able to chat with everyone, but rather anticipate similar events in the coming months. AA likes this career fair format as it does not require specific days off, being stateside, or hotel expenses - but still creates opportunities for networking.

Good to know. Hopefully for the next one there will be a bit more transparent way of knowing if you are in line to enter the vFair, or at least have an idea of the wait instead of trying to login every couple of seconds.

AFTrainerGuy
08-29-2018, 12:00 AM

100% true. Buddy got one and now is racing to find out current gouge about video.

Anyone taken the “new” video interview and can post details?

TankerDriver
08-29-2018, 12:23 PM
100% true. Buddy got one and now is racing to find out current gouge about video.

Anyone taken the “new” video interview and can post details?I got in almost immediately. Asked a few questions. It was kind of tough to follow along because I was at work and pretty busy. By the end of the vfair, an email popped up on my .mil account inviting me to a vid interview. Checked my civ email and had one there also. Haven't taken it yet. Stoked!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Wingnut64
08-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Howdy all,

I was in the V fair yesterday and today I got a call to interview with a national carrier, not AA. That made me think of a question that I should have asked yesterday, but didn't think of it then. So I'll pose it to this group:

I'm a 6-month Captain at a regional, with 4 years of 121 and I'm a retired Army helo guy with 6500+ total time, 3700+ turbine PIC, but only about 2400 total FW. As far as improving my chances at getting an interview--am I better off staying at my current regional job and building 121 PIC or taking a job with a smaller national in order to get some full-size FW time, i.e.--Airbus or 737?

Other considerations...I've only been at my current job just over 1 year. If I left for a Sun Country, Spirit, Frontier, etc. type of job and then immediately continued applying to AA (or other Legacy carriers) would that actually look bad to the recruiters?

Sorry for the long post. There are so many angles to consider.

Looking forward to your replies.

SheepDogg
08-29-2018, 03:58 PM

NGPA Job Fair then. Got it.

FlyPurdue
08-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Howdy all,

I was in the V fair yesterday and today I got a call to interview with a national carrier, not AA. That made me think of a question that I should have asked yesterday, but didn't think of it then. So I'll pose it to this group:

I'm a 6-month Captain at a regional, with 4 years of 121 and I'm a retired Army helo guy with 6500+ total time, 3700+ turbine PIC, but only about 2400 total FW. As far as improving my chances at getting an interview--am I better off staying at my current regional job and building 121 PIC or taking a job with a smaller national in order to get some full-size FW time, i.e.--Airbus or 737?

Other considerations...I've only been at my current job just over 1 year. If I left for a Sun Country, Spirit, Frontier, etc. type of job and then immediately continued applying to AA (or other Legacy carriers) would that actually look bad to the recruiters?

AA emphasized it a lot in the chat that they prefer captain experience (>1000 hours) over most other types of flying. I absolutely understand the conflict of a better job now, verses an awesome career possibly in the future.

If I were you, I would stay at your regional till 1,000 hours of command experience, and then start considering a LCC/ULCC/Cargo airline move. Additionally, at that point you might want to consider the LCA/Instructor/Recruitment cadre to add boxes to check to your application.

ItnStln
08-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Just bypass all this Job Fair nonsense and apply to now of the wholly owned Regional. One easy interview and you get that mainline job!

After how many years?

ItnStln
08-29-2018, 06:53 PM
NGPA Job Fair then. Got it.

I see what you did there.

130JDriver
08-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Did anyone ask about uploading documents? Do they want a resume or anything uploaded and current?

Thanks in advance.

Otterbox
08-29-2018, 11:26 PM
Howdy all,

Go to the interview with the national carrier and see if you actually get the job first... then go with them.

It makes little sense to hold out for a job that may not ever call... all three of those airlines will have pretty quick upgrades for you as well so you’ll be back in the CA seat soonish if you didn’t get “enough” PIC time to get the call by the time you leave your regional.

Sliceback
08-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Get the 1000 hrs 121 PIC. Delta has said they use that to define 'highly qualified'. AA has said they like it. Why not fill the boxes they say they prefer???

After a year, with your military experience, is CKA in your future? If yes I'd stay. If not, after 1,000 hrs 121 PIC, I consider other options.

HiFlyer992
09-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Has anyone who got the video invite at the virtual fair done the video interview and heard anything back?

TankerDriver
09-02-2018, 07:07 AM
Has anyone who got the video invite at the virtual fair done the video interview and heard anything back?Not yet. Long holiday weekend I suppose.

armypilot
09-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Where is the information being posted about AA's virtual job fairs, or how do we go about throwing our name in the hat to be invited to one?

Thanks!
AP

TankerDriver
09-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Where is the information being posted about AA's virtual job fairs, or how do we go about throwing our name in the hat to be invited to one?

Thanks!
APIt was advertised right on the aa.pilotcredentials.com to the left of where you logged in at least a few weeks before the event. I'd imagine they will do another one this year. You register for it with the same email your app is registered with.

HiFlyer992
09-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Not yet. Long holiday weekend I suppose.

I hear it can take a week or two for them to get back with you after the viedo. Just checking back in to see if anyone who received the video invite from the virtual fair has heard back after doing the video?

jcountry
09-06-2018, 05:25 AM
I'm 100% civilian hired at AA because I went to job fairs. I'm nothing special.

Perfect example!

A job fair is always a good opportunity.

I went to several.

There is some info floating around that there are no “points” for attending, or that “airlines just throw job fair resumes in the trash anyhow.”

I don’t buy those rumors-even if they come from recruiters at the fairs. (Airlines have been known to use reverse psychology.)

The only thing we know for sure is NOT attending will result in nothing.

TankerDriver
09-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Job fairs are hit or miss, but if you can, get in on the next vFair AA does. It'll be a much smaller pool of people than a fair like WIA or OBAP.

Jecain7
09-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Did they happen to mention or does anyone know when the next vFair is? I had a trip so I was only able to login in for 15 minutes when it started so I was unable to get a lot info beyond what I've found online afterwards. Thanks.

Blueyawnder
09-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Not to squash the topic but I spoke with two different representatives at the vFair and they both said there is no “credit” given for attending virtual job fairs. So all in all nobody missed anything...

TankerDriver
09-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Not to squash the topic but I spoke with two different representatives at the vFair and they both said there is no “credit” given for attending virtual job fairs. So all in all nobody missed anything...To the contrary, I know at least two people who got video invite emails DURING the vFair. So while you may not have gotten formal "points" added to your application, they were definitely pulling and reviewing apps for people who were logged in and who were *actively* engaged in the question/answer process.

AFTrainerGuy
09-13-2018, 03:51 AM
Not to squash the topic but I spoke with two different representatives at the vFair and they both said there is no “credit” given for attending virtual job fairs. So all in all nobody missed anything...

So nobody missed anything huh? Except the fact that dozens of people directly talked to a recruiter and were immediately given a video invite????

Covfefe
09-13-2018, 04:02 AM
So nobody missed anything huh? Except the fact that dozens of people directly talked to a recruiter and were immediately given a video invite????

I found footage of his job fair attendance.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFCaIAnETk

OVBIII
09-13-2018, 05:05 AM

Such a great movie!!!!!

Floobs
09-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Actually this seems more like it.
https://youtu.be/Vfzqzo31zag

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1