Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : LGA reserve call out

rswitz
08-28-2018, 05:42 AM
New hire on reserve in LGA while waiting for DEN.

So it's a 2 hour call out to be at the gate? Unless you live .5 miles from the terminal, that just is not happening.

What's it like?

ninerdriver
08-28-2018, 06:33 AM
I did it for a few months from Kew Gardens at a 2 hour call out before 9E went co-domicile.

So it's a 2 hour call out to be at the gate? Unless you live .5 miles from the terminal, that just is not happening.

It's plenty doable in half that time or less. You'll have a crash pad in Queens. From Elmhurst or Corona (like half a mile from the terminal), you can walk or take a bus. From Kew Gardens, you can take a taxi/car if you're averse to public transit, or you can take the subway and bus if you're not. Elmhurst and Corona are closer. Kew Gardens is a crew-centric neighborhood central to LGA and JFK.

What's it like?

Fun if you try to embrace NYC and the fluidity of the situation. Miserable if you're too busy being miserable thinking about how you're on reserve and/or in NYC.

rswitz
08-28-2018, 06:52 AM
Haha fluidity of NYC. Seems to be anything but fluid.

I'm actually commuting in from CT, so the logistics of my situation are a bit more complicated. Don't have a car here since I live in Denver. Just crashing at my dad's place while on reserve.

I'm avoiding the crashpad in Queens, but now the issue becomes transportation from CT to LGA. I'm kind of relying on whatever rides I can get.

ninerdriver
08-28-2018, 07:21 AM

I'm actually commuting in from CT, so the logistics of my situation are a bit more complicated. Don't have a car here since I live in Denver. Just crashing at my dad's place while on reserve.

I'm avoiding the crashpad in Queens, but now the issue becomes transportation from CT to LGA. I'm kind of relying on whatever rides I can get.

Provided that you can find a ride, then you should be fine anywhere west of Bridgeport and south of Danbury. Heads up that tolls are $15 to $20 round trip.

ColeTrickle
08-28-2018, 08:00 AM

That just doesnít sound feasible. But good luck.

chitolin
08-28-2018, 08:20 AM

I smell a couple of SADs

rswitz
08-28-2018, 08:38 AM
I'm new. What are SADs?

chitolin
08-28-2018, 08:44 AM
I'm new. What are SADs?

Read your PPM.
Basically a failure to check in on time for a reserve assignment

Punkah Louvre
08-28-2018, 08:52 AM
New hire on reserve in LGA while waiting for DEN.

What's it like?
Whats the problem exactly? There are hundreds of Pilots who sit reserve in NYC. Most make it work just fine...

rmcbear08
08-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Bid long call

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rswitz
08-28-2018, 10:11 AM
My issue is with the logistics of my situation. Finding my way from CT to LGA with no car creates a series of challenges.

I'd get a crashpad as a last resort but with my expensive Denver apartment, it would be a stretch financially.

MVFR
08-28-2018, 10:14 AM
You have 2 hours from notification to report (get through security), not 2 hours to be at the gate/AC.

It's in the PPM

rswitz
08-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Provided that you can find a ride, then you should be fine anywhere west of Bridgeport and south of Danbury. Heads up that tolls are $15 to $20 round trip.

Sounds about right. I will be commuting from Bridgeport usually, sometimes from New Canaan, just north of Stamford.

rswitz
08-28-2018, 10:16 AM
You have 2 hours from notification to report (get through security), not 2 hours to be at the gate/AC.

It's in the PPM

Ok, cool. That should make it a little easier.

rswitz
08-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Read your PPM.
Basically a failure to check in on time for a reserve assignment

How would one know if they have SADs on their record?

chitolin
08-28-2018, 10:30 AM
How would one know if they have SADs on their record?

Big red box reading SAD on the day you messed up on Sked+

Blackhawk
08-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Mass transit you’re pushing it from New Canaan and Bridgeport. The former is about 2 hours, the latter about 2.5.
You might need to set yourself up each day at a library or something part way to LGA so you can make it on time.
Surprised still 2 hours for SkyWest. I thought all airlines were 3 hours for NYC bases.

havick206
08-28-2018, 09:32 PM
My issue is with the logistics of my situation. Finding my way from CT to LGA with no car creates a series of challenges.

I'd get a crashpad as a last resort but with my expensive Denver apartment, it would be a stretch financially.

Train to Harlem station then bus.

rswitz
08-29-2018, 01:14 AM
Mass transit youíre pushing it from New Canaan and Bridgeport. The former is about 2 hours, the latter about 2.5.
You might need to set yourself up each day at a library or something part way to LGA so you can make it on time.
Surprised still 2 hours for SkyWest. I thought all airlines were 3 hours for NYC bases.

Yeah, still 2 hours here. I know Envoy is 3 hours in NYC. Endeavor is 2.5, That would basically solve my issue if we had an extra hour.

Blackhawk
08-29-2018, 02:42 AM
Train to Harlem station then bus.

Yeah, but looking at 2-3 hours from his locations.

KelvinHelmholtz
08-29-2018, 04:32 AM
Yeah, but looking at 2-3 hours from his locations.

2 hours minimum from New Canaan and thatís assuming you get the call relatively soon before the train leaves. New Canaan is on its own branch so there is only about one train an hour, with an extra few trains during peak times.

Suck it up and get a crashpad, or buy a cheap airport car

Geardownflaps30
08-29-2018, 04:49 AM
Whats the problem exactly? There are hundreds of Pilots who sit reserve in NYC. Most make it work just fine...

But not in SW CT with no car!

Blackhawk
08-29-2018, 05:19 AM
2 hours minimum from New Canaan and thatís assuming you get the call relatively soon before the train leaves. New Canaan is on its own branch so there is only about one train an hour, with an extra few trains during peak times.

Suck it up and get a crashpad, or buy a cheap airport car

Yes, the times I gave were actual travel times using mass transit. So figure in waiting for a train and there's no way. That was my point though I didn't say it well.

I would say to the OP if you have access to a free crash pad it would probably be worthwhile to get a "crew car" for your NYC base. You could use it there then probably sell it when you don't need it. Travel times would usually be within the footprint of your reserve call out times though during some rush hours you might need to "preposition" closer to the airports. I live upstate (near Newburgh), and give myself two hours to get to LGA, though I normally make it in 1:10.

ninerdriver
08-29-2018, 06:00 AM

Just remember that you're risking being on time to work for the sake of saving a few bucks. Your first months at an airline are not the time to do that.

On reserve, don't expect four day trips every week. You could get one-day turns every day. You could get airport/ready reserve three times a week if OO does that at LGA.

If you can find someone who will shoulder the cost of driving to and from LGA on their dime and will drop whatever they're doing at whatever time (like at 4am, for instance) to spend at least three hours getting you to work however many times per week you get called, then this arrangement will work and will save you money.

If you can't find that person, then either get a NYC crash pad or a cheap, reliable car. I agree with other folks that mass transit won't work on a minimum call-out.

chitolin
08-29-2018, 06:17 AM
Yeah, still 2 hours here. I know Envoy is 3 hours in NYC. Endeavor is 2.5, That would basically solve my issue if we had an extra hour.

Endeavor has both JFK and LGA and thatís why they have more time. We only have LGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk
08-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Endeavor has both JFK and LGA and thatís why they have more time. We only have LGA

LASA only had LGA, but we had a 3-hour call out.

SilentLurker
08-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Iím not sure you or your company realizes how notorious NY is. Your setting your pilots up for failure with 2hr call outs on Rsv.
Has nothing to do with Co-base or Co-domicile.

Has everything to do with it being NYC!

Good traffic day JFK area to LGA can take 35-45 mins terminal to terminal if you go the wrong way or take the wrong exit, add 15 minutes. JFK-LGA takes 1hr in heavy traffic if driving.

I donít know how your pilot group is accepting a 2hr call out in Notorious NYC, where public transport can take 2hrs to get somewhere only 3 miles away.

Donít drink the cool-aid, has nothing to do with Endeavor or Envoy having JFK & LGA base and yíall having just LGA. Smh!

I challenge you to find out what Republic has for Rsv call out at LGA, they donít have JFK Co-base. maybe youíll get my drift.

SilentLurker
08-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Mass transit

I am surprised also! Not just from Connecticut, but commute from Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Jersey.

ninerdriver
08-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Iím not sure you or your company realizes how notorious NY is. Your setting your pilots up for failure with 2hr call outs on Rsv.

Good traffic day JFK area to LGA can take 35-45 mins terminal to terminal if you go the wrong way or take the wrong exit, add 15 minutes. JFK-LGA takes 1hr in heavy traffic if driving.

I donít know how your pilot group is accepting a 2hr call out in Notorious NYC, where public transport can take 2hrs to get somewhere only 3 miles away.

Donít drink the cool-aid, has nothing to do with Endeavor or Envoy having JFK & LGA base and yíall having just LGA. Smh!

I challenge you to find out what Republic has for Rsv call out at LGA, they donít have JFK Co-base. maybe youíll get my drift.

9E had two hour callouts at both LGA and JFK before the co-domicile. Getting to work was not a problem.

Uptair
08-29-2018, 11:26 AM
All you LGA guys need to understand that in SGU 2 hours is more than enough time to get to the airport so deal with it!! SAD stands for Scheduled Assignment Deviation, which I still find it absolutely hilarious they chose that to have as an acronym. Hang in there guys, it all gets better. Good luck!

Blackhawk
08-29-2018, 11:35 AM

A few times itís taken me 1.5 to get from the employee parking lot to the terminal. It canít be walked safely.

SilentLurker
08-29-2018, 12:41 PM
A few times itís taken me 1.5 to get from the employee parking lot to the terminal. It canít be walked safely.

I agree. Parking lot, its one of many contingencies to be dealt with if based in LGA. LGA is far from SGU. Hope it works out well for the unsuspecting folks. Rsv should be less hellish.

chitolin
08-29-2018, 12:44 PM

Itís ďkool-aidĒ brah and I donít drink it. Iím just stating the facts. We get 2 hours, whether thatís enough or not for the OP to make it from wherever he is crashing is beyond me.
And your challenge, well, Whatevs !

word302
08-29-2018, 06:10 PM

Been a 2-hour callout in LAX and SFO for years. Seems to be mostly working.

rswitz
09-01-2018, 05:44 PM
I ended up going with a pad in kew gardens. No other way. CT to LGA is impossible with mass transit in 2 hours.

Can't believe how complicated getting to work is. Why did I choose this career.....

chitolin
09-01-2018, 05:47 PM
I ended up going with a pad in kew gardens. No other way. CT to LGA is impossible with mass transit in 2 hours.

Can't believe how complicated getting to work is. Why did I choose this career.....

McD is always hiring !

WesternSkies
09-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Still time Biff.

rswitz
09-01-2018, 05:55 PM
I'll have to look into that, thanks. My career could use some upward movement.

savedbythevnav
09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
You could always live full-time in the sweet, cool comfort of our quiet room in LGA. They even have blankets!

rswitz
09-05-2018, 11:14 AM
You could always live full-time in the sweet, cool comfort of our quiet room in LGA. They even have blankets!

I've been casing out this bridge behind Jamaica Ave, near the subway station. Seems to have minimal garbage smell and short walk to the local soup kitchen.

It's not the Hilton but it fits my budget.

SkidsR4Kids
09-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Just completed IOE and Iím LGA based. I have a crash pad in Astoria pretty close to the airport. Sure itís tight, but thatís fine I can live with it as I know itís not permenant. Quick 5 blocks to my bus and off to LGA I am. Took me maybe 25 min to get to the gate between the walk, waiting for the bus and the bus ride itself. Itís doable.

rjnewo
10-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Been thinking about joining skywest but I live in northeasten NJ. 2 hours isnt bad for me unless its morning/evening rush hour. Even still, just a few accidents may be enough to change that to well over 2 hours. Also trying to also save up money to finish college. The price for a queens crashpad + tolls to and from nyc might tip the scales in which regional I end up going to

Arliss
10-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Been thinking about joining skywest but I live in northeasten NJ. 2 hours isnt bad for me unless its morning/evening rush hour. Even still, just a few accidents may be enough to change that to well over 2 hours. Also trying to also save up money to finish college. The price for a queens crashpad + tolls to and from nyc might tip the scales in which regional I end up going to

Expressjet or Republic. Be based in Newark. Both pay better, have better work rules and insurance, and most importantly UNION protection.

Well, Skywest May pay better kinda if they pass their new ďcontractĒ, but Iíll still take Xjet work rules and insurance.

amcnd
10-08-2018, 03:45 PM
One good thing going for SkyWest ďeastĒ is its super Jr. you will enjoy to s of movement fast, as fo and ca..

sn00p
10-08-2018, 03:49 PM
One good thing going for SkyWest ďeastĒ is its super Jr. you will enjoy to s of movement fast, as fo and ca..

Movement is stagnant on the CA side right now. Lots of ďtalkĒ and writing on the wall the base will not last.

amcnd
10-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Regardless of ďrumorsĒ 6 months gets you top 25% 2 years top 10%. Dare you to compare that to a Republic, Endeavor list...

WesternSkies
10-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Seriously 5 YOS gets you too 25% in the 175 CA.
<3 YOS gets you to 50% CA!

sn00p
10-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Seriously 5 YOS gets you too 25% in the 175 CA.
<3 YOS gets you to 50% CA!

Not trying to check your math or call you out, but <3 YOS on the 175 gets you 84-100%. Unless you were referring to the CRJ.

Anyhow, writing on the wall seems to point that the LGA base is not going to stick around.

WesternSkies
10-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Not trying to check your math or call you out, but <3 YOS on the 175 gets you 84-100%. Unless you were referring to the CRJ.

Anyhow, writing on the wall seems to point that the LGA base is not going to stick around.

I was referring to the LGA base itself.