Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hiring for 2019

YoungthePilot
08-30-2018, 05:55 AM
Hi all,

Decided to make an account after lurking for quite a while. Really would like to get on with Compass as my first choice at a regional. I still have a few months at the part 135 I work for; just shy of 1000 hours and averaging 66 a month. Hoping to increase that to 90 hours a month here in the next month or so by doing some part time flight instruction. Finishing up my Bachelor's degree here in March with a decent GPA. Does a February/March class date sound reasonable if Compass were to decide to hire me? Also, does five months out sound like a reasonable time to contact Compass? Last question, how is everyone liking the SEA base?

Thank you for your time and patience!

-Compass hopeful

thejetpilot
08-30-2018, 11:52 AM
They like 6 months after an interview for a class date. Go ahead and apply now, wait for a call to interview and then wait for a 2019 class date. Iím in the same boat as you, but I graduated 2 years ago

Slowhawk
08-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Unless we get bought by Republic, I wouldnít come here. Itís extremely likely weíll lose most of our airplanes in 2020.

29singlespeed
09-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Hi all,

Decided to make an account after lurking for quite a while. Really would like to get on with Compass as my first choice at a regional. I still have a few months at the part 135 I work for; just shy of 1000 hours and averaging 66 a month. Hoping to increase that to 90 hours a month here in the next month or so by doing some part time flight instruction. Finishing up my Bachelor's degree here in March with a decent GPA. Does a February/March class date sound reasonable if Compass were to decide to hire me? Also, does five months out sound like a reasonable time to contact Compass? Last question, how is everyone liking the SEA base?

-Compass hopeful

Applied over a month ago, not a response at all after I had been in touch with recruiting telling me to apply then as my times would hit R-Atp by the time of possible start. 4-6 months out was advised but as indicated on this forum it seems hiring is on hold with 2018 classes full .

VIRotate
09-04-2018, 12:23 PM
It is. Sims at every airline are very limited. Between new hires and upgrades, the situation is even worse. Right now upgrades have priority thus they are restricting new hire classes.

210Av8r
09-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Hi all,

-Compass hopeful
Please come join us in the Hall for Hopefuls thread. The beer is cold.

harrier1231
09-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Just got the TBNT from Compass. They were my preferred Regional. I was holding off on accepting three offers from Skywest, Mesa, and Horizon until I heard from Compass. I also already turned down two offers from Endeavor and PSA at airventure because I preferred these other three since I'm West Coast. 3500 total time, 800 turbine pic, type ratings in the aircraft that they fly. I have no idea why they don't want me. I'm not by any stretch meaning to toot my own horn. This is just fact. And confusing. And sad.

Beechnutz
09-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Just got the TBNT from Compass. They were my preferred Regional. I was holding off on accepting three offers from Skywest, Mesa, and Horizon until I heard from Compass. I also already turned down two offers from Endeavor and PSA at airventure because I preferred these other three since I'm West Coast. 3500 total time, 800 turbine pic, type ratings in the aircraft that they fly. I have no idea why they don't want me. I'm not by any stretch meaning to toot my own horn. This is just fact. And confusing. And sad.

Did you get a face to face interview? Or just sent in an app?

harrier1231
09-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Sent in app amd followed with an email following up.

ShyGuy
09-07-2018, 12:02 PM

That sucks but turning down job offers without something else in hand isnít a sound strategy. Take a job, and then if your preferred employer gives you a job you can take that and move on. Whatever that saying is, a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

harrier1231
09-07-2018, 12:07 PM
I haven't turned down the west coasters. Was just holding them until I knew. I'll accept my favorite today and life will move on. Just bummed. Always better to go with someone that wants you :)

thejetpilot
09-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Sent in app amd followed with an email following up.

Sorry to hear that. Not even a phone screen?

harrier1231
09-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear that. Not even a phone screen?

No. Nothing. I accepted another offer today and I start pretty soon. I'm still happy and it works out fine, I'm just so confused. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't be competitive. If I had an interview or a phone screen and had been a moron I get it, but solely on paper I'm definitely in the window. I'm being hired as a street captain at these other places. Well "immediate upgrade". I got nothing. I hope it works out better for everyone else!

majorpilot
09-07-2018, 10:40 PM
No. Nothing. I accepted another offer today and I start pretty soon. I'm still happy and it works out fine, I'm just so confused. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't be competitive. If I had an interview or a phone screen and had been a moron I get it, but solely on paper I'm definitely in the window. I'm being hired as a street captain at these other places. Well "immediate upgrade". I got nothing. I hope it works out better for everyone else!

Do you mind sharing with whom, and why? Iím a fellow West Coaster who picked OO, Iím always interested in learning from others. Thanks, and good luck!

Beechnutz
09-08-2018, 05:26 AM
Hey guys I seriously think itís just because our classes are full and we donít have the 2019 schedule yet.

Plenty of 0 Jet time flight instructors have been hired this year.

So thatís the only reason I can guess why they would turn you away.

TheBlueBaron
09-08-2018, 06:52 AM

Hold your head high. Back in '98 I finally got an interview with the "commuter" (as we Called it back then) that I grew up wanting to fly for. I was the only guy invited back for day 2 and few the sim flawlessly. Couple of weeks later, I got the TBNT letter. ****ed off, I burned it in the fireplace!

Anyhow, I was promptly hired by another commuter and a couple of years later, moved to another so I wouldn't have to commute. Now I have my dream job flying for the major I grew up wanting to fly for.

So my point is, the regionals should only be a stepping stone for you. Go get your time, and apply to the majors. Then you will look back on your rejection as just a blip on the radar. Just a slight stumble in your hopefully lengthy career.

Best of luck,
TBB

rated
09-08-2018, 07:44 AM
SO TRUE!
TBB makes a great point, one which few pilots take time to make.

Hold your head high. Back in '98 I finally got an interview with the "commuter" (as we Called it back then) that I grew up wanting to fly for. I was the only guy invited back for day 2 and few the sim flawlessly. Couple of weeks later, I got the TBNT letter. ****ed off, I burned it in the fireplace!

Anyhow, I was promptly hired by another commuter and a couple of years later, moved to another so I wouldn't have to commute. Now I have my dream job flying for the major I grew up wanting to fly for.

So my point is, the regionals should only be a stepping stone for you. Go get your time, and apply to the majors. Then you will look back on your rejection as just a blip on the radar. Just a slight stumble in your hopefully lengthy career.

Best of luck,
TBB

harrier1231
09-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Thank you! Maybe I'll print out the letter and throw it in a fire. Sounds cathartic! One theory a friend at SWA had is that I'm about an inch from being competitive at the majors. He said my application looks like a "touch and go". Get on with a regional, get just enough to get that 1,000 pic turbine, recent 121, and total time up, and get a call from the majors. Which, to be fair, is what I'm hoping. Compass might see that and not want to invest in me. Whether or not that is true, I'm taking it since it's better than feeling rejected :)

For the other poster, I went QX. If you are going in as an FO to OO you won't have the same concern I had - which is that getting that quick upgrade would mean I'd never hold west coast. I loved them both! It was a tough decision. Ultimately it came down to the sure thing commute (or even move to a place that works).

Here's to all of us being happy no matter where we choose to go! And congrats TheBlueBaron on getting your dream!

Best of luck,
TBB

TheBlueBaron
09-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Thank you! Maybe I'll print out the letter and throw it in a fire. Sounds cathartic! One theory a friend at SWA had is that I'm about an inch from being competitive at the majors. He said my application looks like a "touch and go". Get on with a regional, get just enough to get that 1,000 pic turbine, recent 121, and total time up, and get a call from the majors. Which, to be fair, is what I'm hoping. Compass might see that and not want to invest in me. Whether or not that is true, I'm taking it since it's better than feeling rejected :)

For the other poster, I went QX. If you are going in as an FO to OO you won't have the same concern I had - which is that getting that quick upgrade would mean I'd never hold west coast. I loved them both! It was a tough decision. Ultimately it came down to the sure thing commute (or even move to a place that works).

Here's to all of us being happy no matter where we choose to go! And congrats TheBlueBaron on getting your dream!

Thanks Harrier. Sounds like sound advice from your friend! There will be tons of hiring at the majors over the next 10-15-20+ years or so. Your chances of getting to where you want to ultimately finish up are very good!

TBB

majorpilot
09-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Iím not a ďquick upgradeĒ candidate as I only have about 280 of the 1,000 needed. I do share the concern about being able to upgrade and stay West Coast, though.

Congratulations, you made a great decision. And yes, best to all of us. What a great time, and we should enjoy it.

TroutBum
09-10-2018, 07:35 AM

I am in a similar situation. I am ex-military who has been out of heavy metal for some time. I got the TBNT email from Compass, but interviewed and got two CJOs elsewhere. Starting at QX in October. See ya!

dfrenchbk
09-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Just as FYI, the training has way backed up at Compass, classes are going home for up to a month between ground school and FPTs

mikeinflight
09-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Unless we get bought by Republic, I wouldnít come here. Itís extremely likely weíll lose most of our airplanes in 2020.

Could you elaborate on this statement? I am moving out west to instruct and am hopeful to land at compass down the road. What are the possible scenarios if they were to get bought by republic. Excuse my ignorance. Does it mean that the west coast bases stay and itís all under republic umbrella? What if it doesnít get bought by republic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisreedrules
09-13-2018, 02:58 PM

Best of luck,
TBB

I applied for and really wanted to work for Compass almost 5 years ago. They turned me down and I just shrugged and moved on. Got hired by PSA during their first big hiring wave and Iíll hopefully flow to AA (my first pick of places to retire from) within the next couple years and Iíve enjoyed good quality of life for most of my time here. Things always work out, just wait and see.

word302
09-13-2018, 03:06 PM
I applied for and really wanted to work for Compass almost 5 years ago. They turned me down and I just shrugged and moved on. Got hired by PSA during their first big hiring wave and Iíll hopefully flow to AA (my first pick of places to retire from) within the next couple years and Iíve enjoyed good quality of life for most of my time here. Things always work out, just wait and see.

This. If you're sitting around waiting for the hopes of an interview/class date, you're doing it wrong.

Slowhawk
09-13-2018, 05:49 PM
This. If you're sitting around waiting for the hopes of an interview/class date, you're doing it wrong.

Except on average, compass guys get that interview in 3-4 years :D I do generally agree but have to argue with word302, at this point weíre like Batman and the joker, we need eachother :D. If cpz had secure contracts, Iíd be atop Mt Rainier proclaiming to the world that compass is the best regional, but we donít and itís not :o

chrisreedrules
09-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Except on average, compass guys get that interview in 3-4 years

WO pilots average a similar time if their goal is to move on to anywhere else. If your goal is AA itís pretty much sit and wait on th flow unfortunately. I do know those hired outside the flow from the WOs but their number is exceedingly small. And the list of those I know from other non-WO airlines hired outside the flow programs is even smaller. Iím just doing what it takes to get where I want to be. 76% of the current seniority list at AA is gone by 2032 not accounting for early retirements. No one else except UPS can come close to that.

DiamondDriver
09-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Just as FYI, the training has way backed up at Compass, classes are going home for up to a month between ground school and FPTs

:confused::confused: It seems that all 175 operators are now drowning due to sim availability. The real question is, at CPZ, is the 4+ week training backlog shrinking...or growing. I had friends in the most recent YX class sent home for 8 weeks. Lets hope this doesn't turn into yet another class date, date slip :mad:

DeltaCorrectons
09-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Could you elaborate on this statement? I am moving out west to instruct and am hopeful to land at compass down the road. What are the possible scenarios if they were to get bought by republic. Excuse my ignorance. Does it mean that the west coast bases stay and itís all under republic umbrella? What if it doesnít get bought by republic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your guess is as good as anyoneís but Iím guessing delta will pull a lot of the west coast flying that compass does into mainline with the 220 it already sounds like they are planning on decreasing the frequency and looking to start doing most of the California shuttle flying with a 737.

TillerTemptress
09-14-2018, 01:29 PM
A220 is going to SLC at first, though.

Vectorss
09-14-2018, 02:42 PM
:confused::confused: It seems that all 175 operators are now drowning due to sim availability. The real question is, at CPZ, is the 4+ week training backlog shrinking...or growing. I had friends in the most recent YX class sent home for 8 weeks. Lets hope this doesn't turn into yet another class date, date slip :mad:

Itís shrinking. I just had my schedule bumped up so now I start sims earlier then anticipated. PV to sim 1 is a 20 day vacation for us.

Slowhawk
09-14-2018, 03:23 PM
We are upgrading a massive amount of captains in September on October. Should cool down this fall leaving more sim time available for NHs. Word from Training is that the NHs took the delays to fit the upgrades in.

VIRotate
09-14-2018, 09:15 PM
We are upgrading a massive amount of captains in September on October. Should cool down this fall leaving more sim time available for NHs. Word from Training is that the NHs took the delays to fit the upgrades in.

This is exactly what happened.

Your guess is as good as anyoneís but Iím guessing delta will pull a lot of the west coast flying that compass does into mainline with the 220 it already sounds like they are planning on decreasing the frequency and looking to start doing most of the California shuttle flying with a 737.

We don't do LAX-SFO on the DL side and besides, good riddance. Let them deal with the delays. Also A220 is going to SLC, not LAX. If anything it's probably going to effect OO more than us.

Skyguy85
09-26-2018, 08:07 AM
Iím in a similar situation. Applied and sent follow email but havenít heard anything back. If they donít get back to me in time I might accept an offer from someone else first.

BobbyLeeSwagger
09-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Iím in a similar situation. Applied and sent follow email but havenít heard anything back. If they donít get back to me in time I might accept an offer from someone else first.

You should only be coming here if you need a west coast base and upgrade... If skywest calls, go for it and plan on an upgrade out east. Nothing wrong with that if you can swing it.

Skyguy85
09-26-2018, 09:55 PM
I live in Vegas so west coast would be best but Iíll take what I can get. I would prefer compass over Skywest. Iíll keep reaching out to them.

You should only be coming here if you need a west coast base and upgrade... If skywest calls, go for it and plan on an upgrade out east. Nothing wrong with that if you can swing it.

DiamondDriver
09-26-2018, 10:03 PM
I live in Vegas so west coast would be best but Iíll take what I can get. I would prefer compass over Skywest. Iíll keep reaching out to them.

Keep up the persistence it cant hurt. I was able to move my class date up an entire month early. I however, already had the CJO (from April 2018). But keep in touch with them, it works....or at least thats what I'm telling myself

BobbyLeeSwagger
09-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Keep up the persistence it cant hurt. I was able to move my class date up an entire month early. I however, already had the CJO (from April 2018). But keep in touch with them, it works....or at least thats what I'm telling myself

I was hoping you would pass that along.

Hang in there y'all, it's a good place if you can wait a little bit

Skyguy85
09-27-2018, 12:30 AM
Thatís encouragement and I appreciate it! I was more concerned that they were filled up or not hiring. Do you happen to know if Iím wrong? I havenít heard either way.

I was hoping you would pass that along.

Hang in there y'all, it's a good place if you can wait a little bit

BobbyLeeSwagger
09-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Thatís encouragement and I appreciate it! I was more concerned that they were filled up or not hiring. Do you happen to know if Iím wrong? I havenít heard either way.

Were definitely not, not hiring; excuse the double negative. It's just a sim availability limit etc (see VIROTATE above). You're not going to miss out on any seniority and its better this way. You wouldn't want to start training but have weeks off between events as many have experienced. Everyone likes free money of course, but it makes training a lot harder and probably really agonzing. It's for a good cause, we probably upgraded/are upgrading close to 75 captains this Fall (Sept-Dec awards) -- I'm not going to look this up so I don't care if that's not accurate. Naturally that takes time availability and instructor resources away from new hires for a season. It's a common ebb and flow that every airline is dealing with right now. If you can wait a couple more months im sure it will all pan out for those waiting. If you can't wait, we all get it and its totally understandable. Just know that it seems every shop is dealing with the same challenges.

Just my 6 cents (I'm on captain pay now).

Skyguy85
09-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Well that sounds like a good thing people are being upgraded because then they need to hire FOs. I can wait but I donít want to lose any offers I might already get before Compass can start hiring. Iím going to do an RTP so if I could get some sort of offer my transition wouldnít happen for 3-4 months anyways.

Were definitely not, not hiring; excuse the double negative. It's just a sim availability limit etc (see VIROTATE above). You're not going to miss out on any seniority and its better this way. You wouldn't want to start training but have weeks off between events as many have experienced. Everyone likes free money of course, but it makes training a lot harder and probably really agonzing. It's for a good cause, we probably upgraded/are upgrading close to 75 captains this Fall (Sept-Dec awards) -- I'm not going to look this up so I don't care if that's not accurate. Naturally that takes time availability and instructor resources away from new hires for a season. It's a common ebb and flow that every airline is dealing with right now. If you can wait a couple more months im sure it will all pan out for those waiting. If you can't wait, we all get it and its totally understandable. Just know that it seems every shop is dealing with the same challenges.

poorflyer
09-27-2018, 09:13 AM

After California taxes you are now back at 2 cents.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1