Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Via Airlines

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:29 AM
With the new pay scales and FO's starting at $50k salary and top step in five years of $65k it's actually a realistic job. The starting CA pay is $78k and tops at $100k in just 5 years. Try that at one of the other regionals.

Then add in Home Basing with positive space tickets to/from work and never having to jumpseat commute. Never needing a crashpad. Long Call from home. Keeping all Hotel, Air and Rental Car points. Crew Cars at most overnights. Crew Meals provided on duty days over 12 hours. CASS/KCM provided. iPads, totally electronic paperwork, release, W&B....everything by iPad. Small but growing company that plans to add larger equipment as loads increase. Basically a small Allegiant/Sun Country doing vacation and destination flying in smaller jets allowing them to reach into smaller markets.

They've got their problems like all regionals; but how they treat their pilots isn't one of them. The exception is the always late monthly schedules. The other thing I don't like is they use 18 day duty a month. This always includes 2 Long Call days at home that NOBODY has ever been called out from; but that doesn't mean they couldn't. The problem I have with it is that as you gain seniority elsewhere you are able to bid for lines with more days off. Via is the same 16 days on the road for a new hire as for the most senior guy. I think that will change as they get more guys with over two years of 121 service.

Overall I like what they're doing, and how they're doing it. It's nice to see a regional that actually treats their people as valued employees and friends instead of just saying it.

This is a repost to get into the proper part of the APC forum. The airline has moved over two years ago from Charter to scheduled 121 & scheduled 135 service. The E120 Turboprop does EAS flying on the 135 certificate allowing them to hire lower time FO's. The E145's do the scheduled 121 routes.

They suffered numerous issues when first starting. The first batch of aircraft were purchased from another regional, and that's all I'm saying about that. Since having them on property two years, most of the issues have been worked out to the point that dispatch reliability is about on par with other regionals.

CBreezy
08-30-2018, 06:57 AM
Not a regional. Mods, please move to Charter.

rickair7777
08-30-2018, 07:14 AM

Well, it kind of is now. Scheduled 121 EAS + 30/50 seat planes = regional.

TransWorld
08-30-2018, 08:03 AM

Right or wrong, APC shows Via listed in the regional group.

This thread SHOULD be placed under regional Other, not regional no category. That is consistent with the other Via thread.

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Right or wrong, APC shows Via listed in the regional group.

This thread SHOULD be placed under regional Other, not regional no category. That is consistent with the other Via thread.

Raven, Corvus & PenAir are in this section on the forum, which is why I put this here too. Up to the mods, but I think a bunch of threads would have to all be moved too....??

Many are in both. I suppose if folks actually used it as the “regional no category” section I’d agree too....But it isn’t used that way in practice. I do see your point, but there’s not much consistency yet.

TeamSasquatch
08-30-2018, 08:39 AM
Do the 16 days on the road include travel from home? Or, are you traveling on days 0 and 17? Iím the kind of guy that doesnít want to move to base, and would rather knock out the time in one big chunk. Iím not sure if we will ever see homebasing beyond this at the regional level? But, itís real popular in the 135 world and keeps people around.

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Do the 16 days on the road include travel from home? Or, are you traveling on days 0 and 17? I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t want to move to base, and would rather knock out the time in one big chunk. I’m not sure if we will ever see homebasing beyond this at the regional level? But, it’s real popular in the 135 world and keeps people around.

Includes travel in the 16. Most often day 1 is travel to work and go to hotel. They have a guy coming from as far away as China. The last day is either just go home, or do a turn and then go home. You can get it broken up in two large duty blocks if you’d rather do two 8 day stretches or some other variation. I like the 16.

The monthly scheduling is their weakest point. They are always getting them done very very late in the month. They are good about getting you specific days off when requested, but the schedules seem to always come late.

They will however book you on connecting flights rather than direct if it saves $20 bucks. You get the air miles, The hotel points and if needed the rental car points.

Home basing is also catching on big in the ACMI portion of the industry also.

TeamSasquatch
08-30-2018, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 09:02 AM
It also has an open jumpseat policy. Any 121 or scheduled 135 pilot in CASS can jumpseat. Only limit is available seating. Cockpit jumpseat is FCFS with Via pilot priority over OAL. List at the gate.

Route map
https://www.flyviaair.com/route-map

TransWorld
08-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Raven, Corvus & PenAir are in this section on the forum, which is why I put this here too. Up to the mods, but I think a bunch of threads would have to all be moved too....??

Many are in both. I suppose if folks actually used it as the ďregional no categoryĒ section Iíd agree too....But it isnít used that way in practice. I do see your point, but thereís not much consistency yet.

Agreed. I asked Nick, before he left, to move all the other (Raven, Corvus, PenAir plus a few more) into the Regional Other folder. He just didnít have time to get it done before he departed. He agreed it was a good idea.

rickair7777
08-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Agreed. I asked Nick, before he left, to move all the other (Raven, Corvus, PenAir plus a few more) into the Regional Other folder. He just didnít have time to get it done before he departed. He agreed it was a good idea.

Make me a list, with links, and I'll move them.

Can also combine threads where that makes sense.

CBreezy
08-30-2018, 03:17 PM

Who is Nick and where did he go?

knewyork
08-30-2018, 05:26 PM
You can make $100K at Republic and probably endeavor too at year 5.

havick206
08-30-2018, 05:42 PM

If not sooner at pretty much all regionals these days

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:34 PM
If not sooner at pretty much all regionals these days

Without bonus pay that can disappear tomorrow?

Iím taking base salary for showing up. Youíre not doing that at other regionals in year 5 without working a lot of OT.

havick206
08-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Without bonus pay that can disappear tomorrow? Iím taking base salary for showing up.

You can pretty much fly 1000 hours and upgrade to CA at most regionals in 18 months. Rosters at 14-17 days off and then pick up a bit of OT.

No bonuses involved

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:38 PM
You can pretty much fly 1000 hours and upgrade to CA at most regionals in 18 months. Rosters at 14-17 days off and then pick up a bit of OT.

No bonuses involved

And whatís 5th year CA pay? It ainít $100 per hour.... which is what it would have to be at 1000 hours a year; which is about 200 hours more work than the average Via CA.

havick206
08-30-2018, 06:41 PM
And whatís 5th year CA pay? It ainít $100 per hour. The numbers are posted in the profiles.

I guess youíre a chump if you only credit min guarantee.

For sure regionals suck ass, but letís our some reality to the statements on this thread

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:44 PM
I guess youíre a chump if you only credit min guarantee

I guess the real chump is having to work all that OT just to catch up to what is base pay to show up elsewhere. They work OT also, but theyíre starting at $100k base pay, not $72k....

havick206
08-30-2018, 06:45 PM
I guess the real chump is having to work all that OT just to catch up to what is base pay to show up elsewhere. They work OT also, but theyíre starting at $100k, not $72k....

How many days off?

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:47 PM
How many days off?

14 average.
Whatís your our 5th year CA rate hourly?

They donít pay for hotels on vacation
They donít take their family on vacation with standby tickets, they use award miles for real tickets.
They donít Jumpseat to work, they get real tickets
No airport standby
Short call always gets a hotel

Pros and cons to each.

havick206
08-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Iím not saying that Bia Airlines isnít a good option for some people.

Simply pointing out that the picture you paint in the regional world isnít entirely accurate.

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:52 PM

Key word is ďcanĒ make. In other words you have to work extra to get to $100k

The 5th Via guys are at $100k to show up, before working any OT

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Iím not saying that Bia Airlines isnít a good option for some people.

Simply pointing out that the picture you paint in the regional world isnít entirely accurate.

Itís not accurate that a 5th year regional CA at other regionals has to work OT to get to where the Via guy is for just showing up? $100k.
Tell that to the DECís at places like Envoy doing 11 day off endless reserve in NYC.

Itís not for everybody though. 8-16 day trips arenít for everybody.

havick206
08-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Itís not accurate that a 5th year regional CA at other regionals has to work OT to get to where the Via guy is for just showing up? $100k.
Tell that to the DECís at places like Envoy doing 11 day off endless reserve in NYC

Yes but a 2nd year CA at VIA Airlines is on 82k which is less than 2nd year regional CA pay.

Have to compare apples with apples.

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:57 PM
Yes but a 2nd year CA at VIA Airlines is on 82k which is less than 2nd year regional CA pay.

Have to compare apples with apples.

What regional is paying more than $82 an hour second year?

Commutair
Mess
Envoy
PSA
They all show like mid 60ís year one and not much more year two.

Looks like Endeavor does have higher initial rates

TeamSasquatch
08-30-2018, 07:00 PM
I donít see anything remarkable in the pay. However, I donít know of any other regional that offers home basing and 16 day straight schedule? To me, and a lot of people that choose fractional/ ACMI/ or 135, this is the best part. Personally, Iím not about to move my family into a base for the lifestyle of a regional pilot. I know Iím going to have to work X number of days a month, itís nice to just get on with it and get it over. I donít need specific days off as much as I need blocks of days off. My family and I are better able use the time together. Commuting to a regional would fine, if I worked the days in one block, but that isnít possible either. In the end, Iíll need the 121 time to get to the next job. This seems like a viable option, without much change in quality of life for me. I canít pay my mortgage with hotel points and miles.... but my wife sure likes that stuff. Just an added bonus.

Iíd be interested in hearing why people prefer to bid for lines and days off though. Does it work better because you live in base? Rather not be gone so long? Rather fly the 175, flow, bonus?

CBreezy
08-30-2018, 07:20 PM
You guys are arguing with a true believer. He would never admit any real fault at Via. He's either a recruiter or management but either way, he is blind to reality. He even truly believes there are going to be getting Airbuses soon.

Did you all notice APC says minimum for Ejet captain is 5000 hours? You do realize you can upgrade at many regionals now at 2500?

dera
08-30-2018, 07:25 PM
What regional is paying more than $82 an hour second year?

Commutair
Mess
Envoy
PSA
They all show like mid 60ís year one and not much more year two.

Looks like Endeavor does have higher initial rates

5 year captain at Republic pretty easily makes $100k/year, and gets 16-17 days off a month. Straight pay, no overtime required.
With way better travel benefits.
Show me how you can take a family of four in First to Tokyo, using miles you accrued during that year. Any airline, that has actual intl First. Or heck, even just Business.
It ain't going to happen.

TeamSasquatch
08-30-2018, 07:31 PM
5 year captain at Republic pretty easily makes $100k/year, and gets 16-17 days off a month. Straight pay, no overtime required.
Show me how you can take a family of four in First to Tokyo, using miles you accrued during that year. Any airline, that has actual intl First. Or heck, even just Business.

Just curious, what are the republic travel benefits? Do you get positive space tickets? Iím in the dark with how that works for just about any regional.

knewyork
08-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Year 5 at Republic will be 99/hr in 2020. $100k is doable with our pay protection.

Cujo665
08-31-2018, 07:47 AM
You guys are arguing with a true believer. He would never admit any real fault at Via. He's either a recruiter or management but either way, he is blind to reality. He even truly believes there are going to be getting Airbuses soon.

Did you all notice APC says minimum for Ejet captain is 5000 hours? You do realize you can upgrade at many regionals now at 2500?

Used to work there. May do contract work for them in the future. As for faults? Iíve listed their faults ad nausum in the other Via threads.
5000 is for direct entry captain. If they were a lousy place to work that couldnít get pilots theyíd be upgrading at 1000 121 time like other regionals. Places that actually pay well like Endeavor and Republic still have longer upgrade times. Places with poor QOL, abusive managements and lower pay are hiring street captains at 1000 121 time.

Cujo665
08-31-2018, 08:05 AM

Yes, looking at Republic and Endeavor pay scales they are in the same ballpark too. The rest arenít even close.

Iíd say for pay and QOL that Endeavor, Republic and Via lead the pack. Each has attributes that will benefit different pilots differently. Itís much smaller than both of the others. They have their issues too. Definitely not perfect, but certainly a step up from the pay and QOL at most regionals.

TeamSasquatch
08-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Donít even work there. Used to.
5000 is for direct entry captain. If they were a lousy place to work that couldnít get pilots theyíd be upgrading at 1000 121 time like other regionals. Places that actually pay well like Endeavor and Republic still have longer upgrade times. Places with poor QOL, abusive managements and lower pay are hiring street captains at 1000 121 time.

Realistically, you could get 1000 121 SIC and then go DEC at another shop too. Or, people with 3-4000hrs turboprop time just need some 121 sic and a fresh type to get picked up at a LCC or K4 type place. All the ďfunĒ without the commute.

Cujo665
08-31-2018, 08:14 AM
Realistically, you could get 1000 121 SIC and then go DEC at another shop too. Or, people with 3-4000hrs turboprop time just need some 121 sic and a fresh type to get picked up at a LCC or K4 type place. All the ďfunĒ without the commute.

They upgrade internally with less than 5,000. Thatís just for direct entry captains.

Theyíve mostly been getting guys from Envoy and Expressjet and 91 jet and turboprop guys looking to get 121 time without having to commute to a Crashpad or airport standby.

Longhornmaniac8
08-31-2018, 08:07 PM
They upgrade internally with less than 5,000. Thatís just for direct entry captains.

Theyíve mostly been getting guys from Envoy and Expressjet and 91 jet and turboprop guys looking to get 121 time without having to commute to a Crashpad or airport standby.

What are the FO mins these days? I live in AUS and would be extremely interested.

Cujo665
09-01-2018, 06:15 AM
What are the FO mins these days? I live in AUS and would be extremely interested.

I'm told this:

1500TT & ATP (or sufficient hours for ATP) for FO
(500 jet preferred)

I'm also told their posted minimums aren't hard numbers if you have comparable quality experience. A guy having flown PC-12 in and out of high volume airports, operated in the high altitude environment, operated scheduled type service would all be preferable to somebody with the same total time in a C152 doing traffic reporting.

In other words: Apply anyway.

The AUS schedules are all out and backs currently. You'd be home every night.

Irishblackbird
09-01-2018, 07:10 AM
Say one exceeds the minimum for CA, how long to upgrade? Is the shop unionized? Are all the work rules/payrates contractual?

Cujo665
09-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Say one exceeds the minimum for CA, how long to upgrade? Is the shop unionized? Are all the work rules/payrates contractual?

If you exceed the CA mins you'd probably be offered street Captain unless you never flew the E145, then they'd probably want some time in type first.

Non-union like SkyWest, PenAir and a host of smaller places. They don't really need one yet either IMHO; they still teat people properly.

Work Rules and Rates are all in the company manuals. It's not a free for all do what they want kind of place. The rules are there for all to see.

DABAviator
03-07-2019, 10:51 AM
What are the minimums for pt135 on the 120? And do they still fly the 120 out of SFB? What's pay and schedule like on it? Thanks

SonicFlyer
03-07-2019, 06:15 PM
What are the minimums for pt135 on the 120? And do they still fly the 120 out of SFB? What's pay and schedule like on it? Thanks

I don't think so?

Cujo665
03-12-2019, 12:07 PM
I don't think so?

Last I heard both birds were down for heavy mx. Both SFB based last I heard.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1