Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Street FO Hiring

Voski
09-03-2018, 04:17 AM
Does anyone know when Envoy will be looking at hiring street FOs again?

I am an Army helicopter pilot and applied as an RTP candidate (had my ratings, was short ~100 airplane PIC hours). I got invited to interview -- however -- I have since flight instructed well past my ATP minimums and apparently disqualified myself and now need to reapply as a first officer candidate... however, they're not taking first officers. It's a little frustrating that they would take me when I was unqualified and willing to spend up to $23,000 towards timebuilding, but now that I put in the time and effort to flight instruct and meet ATP minimums while saving the company over $20,000, I am now disqualified.

Anyway. I'm hoping to get hired with a January start date, otherwise I need to look elsewhere for employment.

Bigpimppilot
09-03-2018, 04:46 AM
Please donít put your career on hold.

Otterbox
09-03-2018, 04:53 AM
Sounds like youíve got a solution for your problem.

Donít wait for Envoy to call. Go somewhere else, you can always re-apply as a DEC if theyíre hiring them at the time.

RawHide
09-03-2018, 06:40 AM
They want guys in the RTP program because they canít leave without a large financial penalty. Management knows they have a retention problem.

Bigpimppilot
09-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Heads up guys donít put on the golden handcuffs and spend that bonus money until Your sure you made the right decision.

Voski
09-03-2018, 07:09 AM
All good advice. Is it really that bad living in base at Envoy? I can definitely see why it'd be rough for commuters...

uavking
09-03-2018, 08:01 AM
All good advice. Is it really that bad living in base at Envoy? I can definitely see why it'd be rough for commuters...

Iíd submit that, if youíre within driving distance of making a two hour call out, life is just fine. Youíll hear plenty of complaining from guys who are on their first real job of any kind, but so long as you play the game things are a-ok.

bigtime209
09-03-2018, 08:08 AM

No, living in base makes things very doable. RSV can actually be a decent deal if you live in base and move up from the very bottom of the RSV list. You get paid 75 hours, fly less than half of that, and most of the time end up spending the night in your own bed more than a jr line holder ends up spending in their bed. What makes this job a living hell is commuting, and even worse, commuting to RSV. Commuting to RSV at Envoy is a special kind of torture.

Voski
09-03-2018, 08:14 AM
I own a house < 30 minutes from O'Hare so any QOL concerns about reserve or from a commuter's perspective is null. I want to go somewhere where ORD is junior for FOs & CAs and Envoy is one of the few that fits the bill.

Podrick
09-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Living in base there's nothing substantial to complain about. Just show up and fly your line, head home when you're done, know the contract and don't let crew scheduling jerk you around. Life is simple flying ~4 days a week and being home at least 3 full days.

Main complaints from new hires are likely due to commuting or getting stuck on an airframe/base you didn't want.

I think the expectation of "everyone commutes, its not a big deal" is a false idea that many new hires get sold from either recruiters, their friends, or online. Commuting sucks and makes the job much more difficult, especially if you're on reserve. To some people its worth it, but its not easy and really adds a lot of stress and time away from home.

As far as getting assigned a base/airframe you don't want... This is a risk that they should've known coming into the airline day 1 of indoc. and happens at every airline. That being said it could mean being stuck commuting (or moving) for 2+ years until you can upgrade into other equipment.

Voski
09-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Living in base there's nothing substantial to complain about. Just show up and fly your line, head home when you're done, know the contract and don't let crew scheduling jerk you around. Life is simple flying ~4 days a week and being home at least 3 full days.

Main complaints from new hires are likely due to commuting or getting stuck on an airframe/base you didn't want.

I think the expectation of "everyone commutes, its not a big deal" is a false idea that many new hires get sold from either recruiters, their friends, or online. Commuting sucks and makes the job much more difficult, especially if you're on reserve. To some people its worth it, but its not easy and really adds a lot of stress and time away from home.

As far as getting assigned a base/airframe you don't want... This is a risk that they should've known coming into the airline day 1 of indoc. and happens at every airline. That being said it could mean being stuck commuting (or moving) for 2+ years until you can upgrade into other equipment.

Thank you for acting like the only rational person within this subforum. Great insight, thank you.

Podrick
09-03-2018, 08:37 AM
I own a house < 30 minutes from O'Hare so any QOL concerns about reserve or from a commuter's perspective is null. I want to go somewhere where ORD is junior for FOs & CAs and Envoy is one of the few that fits the bill.

ORD's great at envoy if you live in base, I'm local and as far as other regionals at ORD I think its the best choice from what I've seen.

pitchattitude
09-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Read the thread about the guy that wants to bail and repaying the bonus. He got the CRJ, only in ORD, but has a two leg commute. His hell would be your Nirvana. Perspective changes everything.

Timing is everything and you canít control it. Roll of the dice as to what is being offered in any given class.

Bigpimppilot
09-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Good setup. Whatís junior today could be senior tomorrow. Just the way this job works. Seniority is everything

Voski
09-03-2018, 08:46 AM
ORD's great at envoy if you live in base, I'm local and as far as other regionals at ORD I think its the best choice from what I've seen.

That's great! I get the impression everywhere else is fairly senior for captains in Chicago. I hope Envoy starts hiring FOs again because I leave active duty in December and would like to start first thing in January.

f16jetmech
09-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Living in base is a freaking dream. I get paid to sit at home and do nothing. Enjoying a family BBQ right now as we speak. Get called for a turn or overnight? I actually welcome it. I totally understand the complaints about commuting though.

My 2 cents is, move in base or deal with the RSV rules. No one forced you to come to the airline, nor to choose to commute every week.

I know the "you can't say that, company is trying to screw us, you're just new and ignorant" will come out. I've been here coming up on a year and every day this job gets easier and I couldn't be happier. Easiest job I've ever had by a MILE

Skip0927
09-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Living in base is a freaking dream. I get paid to sit at home and do nothing. Enjoying a family BBQ right now as we speak. Get called for a turn or overnight? I actually welcome it. I totally understand the complaints about commuting though.

My 2 cents is, move in base or deal with the RSV rules. No one forced you to come to the airline, nor to choose to commute every week.

I know the "you can't say that, company is trying to screw us, you're just new and ignorant" will come out. I've been here coming up on a year and every day this job gets easier and I couldn't be happier. Easiest job I've ever had by a MILE

How about a guy who was hired and displaced out of base and is sitting RSV commuting with no end in sight. Hypothetically.....

f16jetmech
09-03-2018, 02:40 PM
How about a guy who was hired and displaced out of base and is sitting RSV commuting with no end in sight. Hypothetically.....

Are you asking for a friend?

Oates82
09-03-2018, 03:56 PM

Commuting is miserable, especially the DFW to ORD commute.

I just transferred so Iím now home based and itís night and day different. Easiest job ever.

Skip0927
09-03-2018, 05:31 PM
DFW 2 ORD is bad? Time to change my 3*

f16jetmech
09-03-2018, 05:41 PM
DFW 2 ORD is bad? Time to change my 3*

I'd say DFW LGA is easier. It's nuts between Chicago and Dallas... But I will say, I started using united and never had trouble getting on. 5+ flights a day

NoValueAviator
09-04-2018, 05:19 AM
I'd say DFW LGA is easier. It's nuts between Chicago and Dallas... But I will say, I started using united and never had trouble getting on. 5+ flights a day

Flowback cabin seats on United and Delta are the best thing since sliced bread, although United seems to oversell almost as bad as AA (no one is as bad) on certain routes.

SilentLurker
09-04-2018, 07:54 AM

I agree with this. I will add that most Hub to Hub commute is bad, AA does have a 787 flight in the evening sometimes a 777 mixed in which help a lot for commuting.

United is the best way to go the majority of the time, better leg room, more seat availability vs our own mainline metal which is really sad. When listing to DFW I always notice other Envoy Pilots and FAís commuting btw DFW-ORD or ORD-DFW on UAL. Doug parker prefers to do away with our Standby Travel/Commuting benefits as a whole if he could, that it was a choice to commute, that back in the day carriers use to charge employees for traveling standby mostly discount fares. All this came out of his mouth in a gist. Used his friend in the banking industry as an example. Said he doesnít know any other industry that provides such benefits to its employees.

Take that for what itís worth from our overlord CEO mindset. This is why Allied Pilot Association @ mainline, and. ALPA at Envoy are important.

Also be careful what you say online supporting the company constantly as tho things are always rainbows, the company reps that read these posts take it as ďsee they are happy, nothing needs to change!Ē Or worse ďWe donít need to negotiate.Ē

Base closures, base changes, base seniority changes, Regional Airline dynamic changes. Family life, and structures should not routinely be sacrificed. A stable family life = a more stable pilot & overall Flight Crew group providing the best service.

My point is COMMUTING IS NOT A CHOICE! The company has forced it. Many have sold their homes or broken their lease, move their family in base, or in-state base state. Then the company went ahead and closed that base down, reduce flying drastically that one goes on Rsv, displaced Flight crews, make fleet change, etc. Many times in history the company has forced it. It will happen again in the future. Some of you donít realize how expensive the uproot of a family is, and the impact on the children, the wives or husbands job/career family income. $3,000-$4,000 moving expense does not cut it.

NoValueAviator
09-05-2018, 03:02 AM
Dougweiser might be on to something. I'd trade my travel benefits for more pay. I don't have time to use them anyway.

Of course, we'd also have to close NY for lack of pilots. Probably 80% of that base commutes from somewhere.

Whiskey4
09-05-2018, 11:31 AM
My point is COMMUTING IS NOT A CHOICE! The company has forced it. Many have sold their homes or broken their lease, move their family in base, or in-state base state. Then the company went ahead and closed that base down, reduce flying drastically that one goes on Rsv, displaced Flight crews, make fleet change, etc. Many times in history the company has forced it. It will happen again in the future. Some of you donít realize how expensive the uproot of a family is, and the impact on the children, the wives or husbands job/career family income. $3,000-$4,000 moving expense does not cut it.

Commuting is absolutely still a choice. Actually, the ability to commute to work is a perk of this particular industry. How many people in other jobs either have to quit their job or move to the new location when they have a forced job transfer? Millions of Americans deal with this issue every year. Plants and offices open, close, relocate, etc, all the time in other industries.

Pilots, thankfully, have the ability to jump on a plane and keep their job without moving the family should a similar issue arise.

Does commuting suck? Yes. Are job transfers and base closures difficult life changes? Yes. However, we actually have a job transfer protection in commuting as an advantage that most industries donít provide. You want to get back your in-base QOL after a base reduction or closure? Then do what many Americans do and bite the bullet on a relocation.

My opinion comes from having commuted, then finally making the tough choice to relocate our family so I could be home more. We are saving up to relocate again to get to what we hope is our final stop here in the next few years. If that base closes though, Iíll probably be right back to commuting since that base is actually where we want to call home long term. That will be a CHOICE to commute vs. relocate again.

FlyPurdue
09-05-2018, 01:07 PM
that back in the day carriers use to charge employees for traveling standby mostly discount fares. All this came out of his mouth in a gist. Used his friend in the banking industry as an example. Said he doesnít know any other industry that provides such benefits to its employees.

Just to clarify, this was in reference to employees L7+ (directors and above) whom get positive space travel for leisure...essentially A1s to use instead of D2/D1s. This is part of their compensation (and they are taxed on it as income), and the company recognizes that they would loose a lot of talent if L7s+ lost this benefit, but he did absolutely say that the industry should never have offered the A1s to leadership back when it became industry standard back in the 1970s/1980s.

I can certainly be a critic of AAG, but they love these offering standby benefits...it allows them to offer less pay to all employees (management included), and just think if they did not want to offer the ability to commute...they would have to pay $25,000+ per employee every time they displaced.

dera
09-05-2018, 06:49 PM
On topic - calls(well, emails) are going out, they've started hiring (or at least interviewing) again.

yeeeyeee
09-05-2018, 08:23 PM

I live about 5 minutes from ORD, no joke I can ride my bike to work. I decided to go with SkyWest since both FOs and CAs are junior on both airframes

Gooselives
09-06-2018, 06:42 AM
On topic - calls(well, emails) are going out, they've started hiring (or at least interviewing) again.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!

uavking
09-06-2018, 10:36 AM
I live about 5 minutes from ORD, no joke I can ride my bike to work. I decided to go with SkyWest since both FOs and CAs are junior on both airframes

Once you're sick of flying 90+ hours a month for sub par pay brought to you by a student council sponsored by the company, we'll still be here.

SilentLurker
09-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Curious if this is the main reason why you went with Skywest ?

No chance youíll get LGA?

SilentLurker
09-06-2018, 11:29 AM
Just to clarify, this was in reference to employees L7+ (directors and above) whom get positive space travel for leisure...essentially A1s to use instead of D2/D1s. This is part of their compensation (and they are taxed on it as income), and the company recognizes that they would loose a lot of talent if L7s+ lost this benefit, but he did absolutely say that the industry should never have offered the A1s to leadership back when it became industry standard back in the 1970s/1980s.

I can certainly be a critic of AAG, but they love these offering standby benefits...it allows them to offer less pay to all employees (management included), and just think if they did not want to offer the ability to commute...they would have to pay $25,000+ per employee every time they displaced.

Btw thanks for the clarification.

atpcliff
09-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Commuting is absolutely still a choice. Actually, the ability to commute to work is a perk of this particular industry. How many people in other jobs either have to quit their job or move to the new location when they have a forced job transfer? Millions of Americans deal with this issue every year. Plants and offices open, close, relocate, etc, all the time in other industries.

Pilots, thankfully, have the ability to jump on a plane and keep their job without moving the family should a similar issue arise.

Does commuting suck? Yes. Are job transfers and base closures difficult life changes? Yes. However, we actually have a job transfer protection in commuting as an advantage that most industries donít provide. You want to get back your in-base QOL after a base reduction or closure? Then do what many Americans do and bite the bullet on a relocation.

My opinion comes from having commuted, then finally making the tough choice to relocate our family so I could be home more. We are saving up to relocate again to get to what we hope is our final stop here in the next few years. If that base closes though, Iíll probably be right back to commuting since that base is actually where we want to call home long term. That will be a CHOICE to commute vs. relocate again.

How many "civilians", at the same job, working for the same company, have their workplace city changed 7 times in one year? It happened to a regional pilot I met (7 base changes). Many "civilians" refuse to move, for any job or economic situation, because of their family, etc.
With the amount of base changes that many pilots/CC have to endure, free travel to work is a must.
One way the airlines could avoid the free travel, is to pay the TOTAL cost of a move every time one of their pilots/CC has to move...my uncle's moving allowance, from his new job in another city, way back in the late 1980s, was $70K...think any airlines want to pay upwards of $100k to cover their employees TOTAL moving expenses???

arbatistoni
09-06-2018, 07:32 PM

I live in base at lga. I like it. Been on reserve since early may. I dont mind it. Lower pay and less flying on reserve. But i get alot of weekends off now and almost never have to do anything haha.

SilentLurker
09-07-2018, 07:57 AM
I live in base at lga. I like it. Been on reserve since early may. I dont mind it. Lower pay and less flying on reserve. But i get alot of weekends off now and almost never have to do anything haha.

Another pilot here I know has a side hustles and investments, he actually made more overall outside of aviation in investments and Business. So Rsv in base gave him a lot more time off to doing that. Proud of him.

ďWhere some see a problem, others see an opportunity. Timing is everything. ď

-Me

f16jetmech
09-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Another pilot here I know has a side hustles and investments, he actually made more overall outside of aviation in investments and Business. So Rsv in base gave him a lot more time off to doing that. Proud of him.

ďWhere some see a problem, others see an opportunity. Timing is everything. ď

-Me

This is my plan! It's a beautiful thing. Living in base is the ONLY way to go in my opinion

NoValueAviator
09-08-2018, 02:20 PM

Congratulations. Many of the reserve "lines" in NY are nice with several that have solid weekends off. Not like that in ORD. Did you bid reserve over any of the lines in September?

Bigpimppilot
09-09-2018, 05:39 AM
If you live in base and your making less on rsv than a line holder your doing it wrong. Especially if your high up on the rsv list

NoValueAviator
09-09-2018, 07:05 AM
If you live in base and your making less on rsv than a line holder your doing it wrong. Especially if your high up on the rsv list

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/001/034/999/1de.gif

Bigpimppilot
09-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Itís very simple. Now the key for quality of life is for the staffing not to be dog ****. Bid the transition conflict and get 12 hard days off. Pick up 4 juicy ot days during the 48 hr window. Donít drive in for ot unless it meets your ďworth itĒ threshold. For me thatís 4 hrs of flying or at least 6 hrs pay. Already Your looking at 99 hrs pay with 8 days off. But is it really only 8 days off? If your relatively senior Iíd suggest bidding 4 am every day. Youíll have guys under you and at 10 am there will be more guys under you but your not going to be good for when the thunderstorms and **** has happened during the day. Hopefully you only actually work 9 of your work days. Now hereís the best part. Itís very difficult to be junior manned in this situation without it costing the company a lot. They canít take you below 8 days off so in order to Iím they must give you a day off later in the month before you get a jm. Then you get your min 4 hrs straight pay and another return day to use no later than the end of the next month. Donít forget to put in the rf 100 rtd code or your hosed on the return day. Enjoy your 99+ hr paycheck for 13 days of work. Granted youíll be doing better as rsv seniority increases.

Pedro4President
09-09-2018, 08:05 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/001/034/999/1de.gif

If you aren't crediting 95 hrs on reserve then you are doing it wrong. I'm not going to go into details about how to work reserve but it's not uncommon to credit more than 10 hrs per day on reserve.

Here's a few basic rules I follow.
1. Don't bid during the 48hr window.
2. Out of base 200% is worth it.
3. Pick up the trips the day when the schedule hits the fan due to weather.
4. Dead heads are worth it.

It's possible but difficult to hit 115 and easy to hit 100.

Bigpimppilot
09-09-2018, 10:03 AM
All true but working the system changes as the available open time cycles over time. When ot is short then there is no 200% and long high time days are hard to pick up outside of the 48 hr window. Also as a commuter people should consider picking up ot the day before a set of rsv days. If your going to get stuck with 4 am rap you might as well make it worth your while when you commute in the day before

f16jetmech
09-09-2018, 02:21 PM
There has to be OT to actually pick up to get OT. appropriate would be the only way in Dallas. On the 145 that is

Pedro4President
09-09-2018, 04:19 PM
There has to be OT to actually pick up to get OT. appropriate would be the only way in Dallas. On the 145 that is

Nothing is stopping you from bidding out of base to pick up an OT trip. Also, look for trips that pop up last minute like DFW MEM LGA DFW. Or when OSO happens there is lots of chances to pick up a high time OT day. Flying a normal turn or turns out of DFW will only get you 3-6 hrs of OT. You have to look for a little more creative pick ups. I saw a 13+ hour two day trip open this past Friday.

EmbaeDriver
09-09-2018, 04:31 PM
please donít put your career on hold.

envoy is life bro whats your problem

NoValueAviator
09-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Oh, I thought there might be some secret - that stuff all seems fairly obvious. I don't have the living-in-base reserve perspective to consider anything other than how to keep the misery from bubbling over anywhere other than APC.

bigtime209
09-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Nothing is stopping you from bidding out of base to pick up an OT trip. Also, look for trips that pop up last minute like DFW MEM LGA DFW. Or when OSO happens there is lots of chances to pick up a high time OT day. Flying a normal turn or turns out of DFW will only get you 3-6 hrs of OT. You have to look for a little more creative pick ups. I saw a 13+ hour two day trip open this past Friday.

I'd venture to say that for the common man, picking up OT in a base across the country on your days off isn't super optimal.

SilentLurker
09-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Your spot on!!!

Pedro4President
09-10-2018, 02:09 AM
I'd venture to say that for the common man, picking up OT in a base across the country on your days off isn't super optimal.

It's not optimal for anyone and it sucks to be honest. Commuting in the night before is pretty much a guarantee. I was just sharing how one on reserve can credit 100 hrs a month.

f16jetmech
09-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Yeah not interested in going out of base. I see your point but not going unless it was good money. I feel more obliged to go out of base considering today is my first day working in September

I also can't stand by my iPad all day looking for stuff. It also doesn't change the fact that I still have 19+ days a month I CAN'T pick up OT. There's some juicy trips but they're all on days I'm working... Find something that does work and it's gone. Saw one pop up the other night for a Mexico turn... 5+ hours out of Dallas. I probably had an RF sent within 15-20 seconds of the push notification and I didn't get it.

havick206
09-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Yeah not interested in going out of base. I see your point but not going unless it was good money. I feel more obliged to go out of base considering today is my first day working in September

I also can't stand by my iPad all day looking for stuff. It also doesn't change the fact that I still have 19+ days a month I CAN'T pick up OT. There's some juicy trips but they're all on days I'm working... Find something that does work and it's gone. Saw one pop up the other night for a Mexico turn... 5+ hours out of Dallas. I probably had an RF sent within 15-20 seconds of the push notification and I didn't get it.

Lineholders snapping it up, just the way the cookie crumbles in this industry.

moon
09-11-2018, 12:43 PM

RF messages get processed the following day prior to 8 am or so and yes seniority rules on those too.

outraged
09-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Iím just curious how the original posting individual apparently disqualified himself. Asking as a near future RTP candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Md5drivr
09-18-2018, 01:26 PM
I read through the post. Sorry if I missed anything but is Envoy still not hiring street FOs?

DanRoman
09-18-2018, 01:47 PM
I read through the post. Sorry if I missed anything but is Envoy still not hiring street FOs?

I believe theyíre starting to again, but someone can correct me if Iím wrong. That disclaimer is, of course, not necessary. This is the internet, and even more so APC, so someone will most certainly correct me if Iím wrong.

Varsity
09-18-2018, 03:59 PM

I talked to a recruiter a few weeks ago and he said essentially no. They will consider it if you have 121 or TJet 135 times that will accelerate your upgrade but not qualify for DEC.

dera
09-18-2018, 06:14 PM
I talked to a recruiter a few weeks ago and he said essentially no. They will consider it if you have 121 or TJet 135 times that will accelerate your upgrade but not qualify for DEC.

I interviewed and got a CJO last week. No 121/ qualifying 135 time.
They said they are hiring but are very, very selective. They were interviewing 5 OTS guys that whole week.

Varsity
09-18-2018, 06:19 PM
I interviewed and got a CJO last week. No 121/ qualifying 135 time.
They said they are hiring but are very, very selective. They were interviewing 5 OTS guys that whole week.

What do they consider selective? A youtube account with right seat caravan time?

Tellheritwasntu
09-18-2018, 06:44 PM
What do they consider selective? A youtube account with right seat caravan time?
If this is the funniest thing I read all week, Iím ok with that.

Paid2fly
09-18-2018, 06:46 PM

:eek:

;)

:D

adebord
09-18-2018, 08:09 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/Lcn0yF1RcLANG/200.webp

TurboWill
09-18-2018, 08:16 PM
I literally just LMAO^^^^^

dera
09-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Haha I must have been REALLY lucky then because I have neither!

(I think the person you're talking about got hired earlier this year, when they were still hiring "normally").

spaaks
09-20-2018, 11:35 AM
They want guys in the RTP program because they can’t leave without a large financial penalty. Management knows they have a retention problem.

BINGO....and still true. Many other regionals have junior bases in ORD you'd get immediately

Longhornmaniac8
09-20-2018, 06:16 PM
Got the email last week to set up an interview. OTS, CFI/CFII, no turbine time, no contacts.

NoValueAviator
09-25-2018, 05:09 PM
BINGO....and still true. Many other regionals have junior bases in ORD you'd get immediately

Including us now apparently.

BarrySeal
09-25-2018, 07:47 PM
is hiring back on ?

how far in advance before availability can yiu interview and obtain a class date

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1