Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Living in base

Nice guy
09-06-2018, 08:26 AM
I prefer to move to my base, which will most likely be EWR. However, as you guys know NYC is not cheap. What are some nice surrounding areas to consider?

PontiusPilot
09-06-2018, 03:13 PM
I'm at XJT but also EWR based. It depends on what your budget is, and if you prefer more suburban or urban settings. Do you have a preference?

The NYC area has a bad reputation among the airline pilots who can't seem to handle it, or have never given it a chance. There are excellent places to live within an hour drive from EWR.

Nice guy
09-07-2018, 03:44 AM
I'm at XJT but also EWR based. It depends on what your budget is, and if you prefer more suburban or urban settings. Do you have a preference?

The NYC area has a bad reputation among the airline pilots who can't seem to handle it, or have never given it a chance. There are excellent places to live within an hour drive from EWR.

I am up for either suburban or urban. Do you have some recommendations?

Arliss
09-08-2018, 07:56 PM
New Jersey is a great state. Once you get away from the immediate area of Newark it gets really nice. It is a very high population density area. I personally grew up south of the airport in Monmouth county. Nice suburban areas, prices vary depending on town between reasonable and obscene. Easy access to EWR via the turnpike. I should also mention there are 2 New Jerseys, north and south with I-195 being the traditional divider. The north has forests and mountains, and the culture or NYC. The south is pine forests and rednecks; it might as well be Alabama.

I'm at XJT as well. Before you decide to go to C5, wait and have a look at the new TA we're about to be offered and if we do get those 175s. For EWR I'd also strongly recommend Republic over C5.

JediCheese
09-08-2018, 08:03 PM
You can also look at Pennsylvania. Scranton and Allentown both have airline service to EWR and are drivable if you want.

Arliss
09-08-2018, 08:10 PM
You can also look at Pennsylvania. Scranton and Allentown both have airline service to EWR and are drivable if you want.

Welllll, ABE is actually a bus service. Both ABE and AVP are drive-to-Newark cities. Drive time is about 1:20 to Allentown and 1:45 to Scranton. Traffic dependent. Tons of crewmembers live in PA. Taxes and housing prices are lower.

climb150
09-08-2018, 11:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I should be joining C5 pretty soon and am thinking of maybe commuting from Cleveland. Assuming 4-5 day trips are the norm what can I expect for days off between trips? If it is less than 3 days it almost seems pointless to commute expecially if the front or back end of the trip requires a hotel. I know we get 4 free a month but always rather stay in my own bed.

I have no problem living in NJ so just asking for opinions.

Thanks

PosRateGearUp
09-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Scranton will not serve EWR in a couple months.

lovesrjs
09-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Anyone know of good crash pads at EWR?

corporategypsy
09-10-2018, 01:18 PM
following this. I am in the Sep 20 class and want to figure out where to stay sooner than later.

Nice guy
09-10-2018, 02:26 PM
What about Brooklyn? Is it a realistic option? How is the commute to EWR?

Arliss
09-10-2018, 06:04 PM
What about Brooklyn? Is it a realistic option? How is the commute to EWR?

Bad idea. Very bad idea. Driving between the two is horrible and expensive. Public transit would be an expensive pain too. Stick to Jersey, it's also way nicer and less expensive than B'Klyn. Then do what we do and take day trips into The City (Manhattan).

Nice guy
09-11-2018, 12:34 AM
Bad idea. Very bad idea. Driving between the two is horrible and expensive. Public transit would be an expensive pain too. Stick to Jersey, it's also way nicer and less expensive than B'Klyn. Then do what we do and take day trips into The City (Manhattan).

If you don't mind my asking, in what area of New Jersey do you live?

Arliss
09-11-2018, 05:44 AM
I'm in central NJ, 30 minutes south of the airport.

Buzzd
09-11-2018, 11:34 AM
This place is a dumpster fire. Pick any other regional and youíll thank me later.

corporategypsy
09-11-2018, 01:15 PM
This place is a dumpster fire. Pick any other regional and youíll thank me later.

Please enlighten us! What are some specifics on what makes c5 so bad? Every regional has people saying the same things "go anywhere but here!" I worked at Republic and would never go back there.

jacburn
09-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Please enlighten us! What are some specifics on what makes c5 so bad? Every regional has people saying the same things "go anywhere but here!" I worked at Republic and would never go back there.

He is a disgruntled person that likes to attack commutair.

Here is his previous work from last year that you can tell now how wrong he is:

Donít let the door hit you on the way out.

Mgmtís dumb but they arenít stupid. They arenít hiring and donít care about attrition because they arenít getting 40 jets. By the time the pilots realize that the seniority list will have shrunk to around 225. Then the list will shrink back to about 175. The only people left will be the folks who canít go anywhere else.

Last one out donít forget to get the lights.

Apparently many of you werenít listening the first time. Downgrades = The P A R T Y is O V E R !!!!!!!

climb150
09-11-2018, 10:21 PM
This thread is about living in base not "sling mud at C5" so can we keep it on topic?
I will be joining C5 soon and I need some advice on good areas of Jersey. I have listed below some places I am considering. Any appropriate feedback is much appreciated.

East Orange
Union
Ironbound District
Woodbridge / Avenel / Rahway.

Thanks

StartUp161WanaB
09-12-2018, 01:15 AM
This thread is about living in base not "sling mud at C5" so can we keep it on topic?
I will be joining C5 soon and I need some advice on good areas of Jersey. I have listed below some places I am considering. Any appropriate feedback is much appreciated.

East Orange
Union
Ironbound District
Woodbridge / Avenel / Rahway.

Thanks

Going more south will be slightly cheaper than staying in the northern side of NJ.
Woodbridge/avenel/linden/metuchen and the surroundings are decent places to live. Most train stations have/are developing housing next to it for easy commute. Lots of people work in NYC but live in jersey.

Boeing Aviator
09-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Lehigh Valley. Allentown- Bethlehem - Easton and surrounding areas. From 1hr to 1.5 hour drive depending on how far west. I-78 overall low traffic compared 80, 95 etc

More for your money and lower taxes then NJ. At United we have a ton of pilots in the Lehigh Valley.

Alexey
09-13-2018, 05:18 AM
I live in Kearny 20 minutes drive from the airport and about 30 to Manhattan by PT. Like it here.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1