Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : OO in LGA

fortyeight
09-07-2018, 04:16 AM
Has anyone else seen an increase in occupied gates since OO has been in LGA? A typical trip weíre waiting for OO to push or figure out what theyíre doing 80% of the time.

WesternSkies
09-07-2018, 06:08 AM
Twice on Sunday my brother

aperfcrcle
09-07-2018, 09:03 AM
I for one love when they sit on spot 22 not answering ramp or ground while a whole line of inbound planes wait for the 4 gates they are blocking.

fortyeight
09-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Twice on Sunday my brother

Insane. Itís one thing when they clog gates in Chicago, at least thereís extra. But LGA... come on guys.

Blackhawk
09-07-2018, 09:09 AM
I kid you not. When they first arrived at LGA I was following one across 4/22. As soon as he crossed he stopped stranding me and another airplane on the runway and causing a go-around. Ground came unglued.

fortyeight
09-07-2018, 09:11 AM
I for one love when they sit on spot 22 not answering ramp or ground while a whole line of inbound planes wait for the 4 gates they are blocking.

Literally happens on a daily basis.

DeltaCorrectons
09-07-2018, 09:53 AM
OO is literally slowest airline in the Delta system everything they do takes longer and they deliver a sub par product. They wonít last long in New York they will clog too much up.

buddies8
09-07-2018, 08:13 PM
You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait till they delay a flight for whatever reason and eat up the gate for 8 hours or more. They are the plague of regionsales and no anti vitus.

jacburn
09-09-2018, 05:50 AM
OO does not get the standard block or better pay. They have to milk it to get the pay time that all the other regionals get.

fortyeight
09-09-2018, 08:58 AM
OO does not get the standard block or better pay. They have to milk it to get the pay time that all the other regionals get.

They legit have to be the worst regional operating in the US. Just proves mainline doesnít care about anything other than the bottom line. Otherwise Skywest and their 4% on time performance in LGA wouldnít be tolerated.

4V14T0R
09-10-2018, 04:31 AM

Apparently ethics donít matter as long as they get theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncofan
09-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Jeez what's with all the SkyWest hate

savedbythevnav
09-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Apparently ethics donít matter as long as they get theirs.

No one seems to have trouble with AA doing it.

We have an old saying at OO: Taxi faster than American but slower than Southwest.

I hope to god we leave LGA too. It's SkyWest, not SkyEast.

savedbythevnav
09-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Chip told me they're just jealous and that they're going out of business. He wouldn't lie. Mormon's know the truth.

Varsity
09-13-2018, 03:48 PM
I'm sure we'll be seeing the superior brickyard pilots in Aspen any day now..

Captain Slow
09-14-2018, 02:00 AM
Oooooh, Aaaaspen.

4V14T0R
09-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Oooooh, Aaaaspen.

Exactly. I guess somehow that makes up for padding their paycheck at the expense of making their passengers late or blocking other aircraft from getting their passengers to their destination.

KSCessnaDriver
09-14-2018, 06:32 AM
Exactly. I guess somehow that makes up for padding their paycheck at the expense of making their passengers late or blocking other aircraft from getting their passengers to their destination.

Exactly, didnít know that banks took ego as a form of payment these days

chrisreedrules
09-14-2018, 08:10 AM

When SkyWest votes in ALPA Iíll stop hating.

wrxpilot
09-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Nothing funnier than regional pilots bashing other regional pilots. They both pay like crap. Seems like your energy would be better spent towards moving on as opposed to having the RJ version of Mean Girls.

Gravity88x
09-14-2018, 09:53 AM
Nothing funnier than regional pilots bashing other regional pilots. They both pay like crap. Seems like your energy would be better spent towards moving on as opposed to having the RJ version of Mean Girls.

I mean who wouldnít want to move on? But while we are here why should we stand for a non union shop? Not in this industry we wonít.

fortyeight
09-14-2018, 09:55 AM

I donít think itís hate, I think most are just annoyed with the holier than thou arrogance most OO pilots seem to possess. Especially on the 170. My bad 175.

Gravity88x
09-14-2018, 10:27 AM
I donít think itís hate, I think most are just annoyed with the holier than thou arrogance most OO pilots seem to possess. Especially on the 170. My bad 175.

They will correct you right away....

ďActually we only have 175sĒ

Also apparently they are the largest operator of Ejets according to their recruiters that go around to college programs

JayD
09-14-2018, 11:17 AM
They will correct you right away....

ďActually we only have 175sĒ

Also apparently they are the largest operator of Ejets according to their recruiters that go around to college programs

Maybe not the largest E170/175 operator but they would be the largest E175 operator. That is until RPA gets their next 100.

Tpinks
09-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Maybe not the largest E170/175 operator but they would be the largest E175 operator. That is until RPA gets their next 100.

But then that goes back to the fact that there is no such thing as a 175... it's a 170-200

fortyeight
09-14-2018, 02:46 PM
But then that goes back to the fact that there is no such thing as a 175... it's a 170-200

I honesty donít think OO pilots understand that thereís no such thing as a 175. I wouldnít be surprised if the majority of them are writing in 175 under aircraft type in their logbooks. All it is is a marketing term.

Broncofan
09-14-2018, 04:48 PM

I think that's more of a stereo type, most OO pilots are down to earth guys (minus maybe salt lake guys) I agree they should unionize, but are you really going to scrutinize someone because they are a west coast guy wanting a west coast airline (kinda). You guys a have a better contract right now, what's with the jealousy?

Gravity88x
09-14-2018, 05:22 PM
I think that's more of a stereo type, most OO pilots are down to earth guys (minus maybe salt lake guys) I agree they should unionize, but are you really going to scrutinize someone because they are a west coast guy wanting a west coast airline (kinda). You guys a have a better contract right now, what's with the jealousy?

Iím a new hire but I came from a labor union job prior to being an airline pilot. If there are union shops with better contracts thereís no reason why you should be accepting the horrible work rules that Skywest has. Not to mention there are other west coast airlines.

I donít think itís jealousy for me. I talk **** on Skywest aiming it towards their management for the sake of our brothers and sisters who would like to be union over there

JayD
09-15-2018, 04:31 AM

That is very true as well! Very low down dirty marketing if that is really what they are saying to students.

fortyeight
09-15-2018, 08:26 AM

I donít think anyoneís jealous of Skywest at all. Not sure what there would be to be jealous about. Once your pilot group unionizes and stops reaping the benefits of what other unionized pilot groups have fought for your group would probably be respected a lot more. You guys deserve more than what your management is giving you.

saxman66
09-15-2018, 10:33 AM
I donít think anyoneís jealous of Skywest at all. Not sure what there would be to be jealous about. Once your pilot group unionizes and stops reaping the benefits of what other unionized pilot groups have fought for your group would probably be respected a lot more. You guys deserve more than what your management is giving you.

Trust me, there's a push right now for unionizing. What I don't get is the constant bashing on these forums. Most of us chose our regional because of who offered a job first or where they might happen to live. Yeah we have our outliers and kool-aid drinkers, but every shop has those. So why judge a whole group of pilots based on a couple of anecdotes you encounter. I few years ago we had a Republic get snarky with us on the frequency because we didn't immediately taxi away after our clearance. Turns out that the nosewheel steering wouldn't engage, so we were stuck for a bit. So to the individual pilot for telling us to go; you are a tool. But your whole pilot group isn't a tool. As to the plane that stopped after crossing the runway. Yeah, that was just pretty horrible situational awareness. And yeah, along time ago, I flew with a guy who just wanted to be late causing misconnects and missed commutes. But the vast majority of us want to run a smooth operation and do what every other regional does. Fly and go home.

chrisreedrules
09-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Trust me, there's a push right now for unionizing. What I don't get is the constant bashing on these forums. Most of us chose our regional because of who offered a job first or where they might happen to live. Yeah we have our outliers and kool-aid drinkers, but every shop has those. So why judge a whole group of pilots based on a couple of anecdotes you encounter. I few years ago we had a Republic get snarky with us on the frequency because we didn't immediately taxi away after our clearance. Turns out that the nosewheel steering wouldn't engage, so we were stuck for a bit. So to the individual pilot for telling us to go; you are a tool. But your whole pilot group isn't a tool. As to the plane that stopped after crossing the runway. Yeah, that was just pretty horrible situational awareness. And yeah, along time ago, I flew with a guy who just wanted to be late causing misconnects and missed commutes. But the vast majority of us want to run a smooth operation and do what every other regional does. Fly and go home.

It just seems to be a common theme amongst the SkyWest pilot group. I donít encounter it with any other pilot group.

WesternSkies
09-15-2018, 11:14 AM
You encounter what?

wrxpilot
09-15-2018, 02:33 PM
It just seems to be a common theme amongst the SkyWest pilot group. I donít encounter it with any other pilot group.

I remember when I first came to the regionals, I came across guys like this that apparently havenít progressed beyond teenager logic. Unfortunately all pilot groups have that 5%.

Also, that kind of attitude really comes across during interviews. So... Good luck.

jtsastre
09-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately these forums produce bad-mouthing that you wouldnít see in an actual social situation. Do you think if there were a group of pilots from different regionals all sitting having a beer together, theyíd act the same? Iíd hope for humanity not.

gojo
09-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately these forums produce bad-mouthing that you wouldnít see in an actual social situation. Do you think if there were a group of pilots from different regionals all sitting having a beer together, theyíd act the same? Iíd hope for humanity not.

The frustration is growing rapidly towards Skywest everywhere. Itís not just this forum. Itís funny, you just donít hear much about Mesa, or GoJet anymore. It seems Skywest has taken that spot. Just today, turned 20 degrees and slowed because we were catching up to a Skywest flight going into Detroit. Later on we were trying to get into C42 in LGA. Two Skywests have to come out first. Ramp tells the first one to taxi short of alpha and contact ground. They just sit there. Maybe they thought he said ALPA. I donít know. 14 minuets later they finally call ground for taxi. And now weíre 15 minuets late. Used to be we could get away from them. Now theyíre everywhere

Utah
09-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Iím a new hire but I came from a labor union job prior to being an airline pilot. If there are union shops with better contracts thereís no reason why you should be accepting the horrible work rules that Skywest has. Not to mention there are other west coast airlines.

I donít think itís jealousy for me. I talk **** on Skywest aiming it towards their management for the sake of our brothers and sisters who would like to be union over there

What's horrible about the SkyWest work rules compared to Republic? Or any of the other regoinals?

MDG, duty gaurantee, premium pay, trip rig, holiday pay(and you don't have to work it), 100% for dh and cancellation, no JM. Trip extensions are voluntary. Reflows are almost non existent. What do you have that when compared makes those look horrible? Please tell us where we are getting screwed.

We are getting screwed on historical credit.

TheWeatherman
09-17-2018, 05:14 PM
What's horrible about the SkyWest work rules compared to Republic? Or any of the other regoinals?

MDG, duty gaurantee, premium pay, trip rig, holiday pay(and you don't have to work it), 100% for dh and cancellation, no JM. Trip extensions are voluntary. Reflows are almost non existent. What do you have that when compared makes those look horrible? Please tell us where we are getting screwed.

We have all of those except only 75% credit for deadhead, you beat us there. Where we come out way ahead is trip credit and efficiency of pairings. I can have 15 days off in a month and credit the same as a SKW pilot who only has 12 days off. Plus higher pay and I believe our min day of 4:12 is higher but not sure exactly what SKW has.

Utah
09-17-2018, 05:22 PM
4:12 as well.

Our issue with LGA is that it's new for us and very junior in both seats. Almost all of the FOs have been here less than a year. And most of the captains just took the upgrade there.(great combination) 4 years there makes you senior in left seat.

Utah
09-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Our average credit per duty period system wide is 5:20 on crj and 5:40 on the erj. It varies based on the domicile as well. DTW gets screwed with all of the short flights.

Jungle Jim
09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Word on the street is OO is losing the LGA-ORD shuttles back to mainline and YX come spring 2019. Seems like the market has spoken.

Gravity88x
09-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Look man Iím a new guy. I donít like SkyWest for the same reason I donít like Walmart. Because thereís no union and too many anti union people.

Prior to being in this industry I worked labor jobs, and I am 4th generation Teamster. Iím sure you guys get by alright, but you wonít change my mind about republic and many others being better because we have a union

Rayeli
09-18-2018, 03:50 AM
Word on the street is OO is losing the LGA-ORD shuttles back to mainline and YX come spring 2019. Seems like the market has spoken.

Thatís because word on the street is OO is doing absolutely horrible in LGA...and their ďpunishmentĒ for being terrible is theyíre moving all those planes out west and ďlettingĒ endeavor and Republic get more NYC flying and clean up the mess.

sn00p
09-18-2018, 05:51 AM
Thatís because word on the street is OO is doing absolutely horrible in LGA...and their ďpunishmentĒ for being terrible is theyíre moving all those planes out west and ďlettingĒ endeavor and Republic get more NYC flying and clean up the mess.

Thatíd be a good punishment. Serves them OO peeps right. :D

gojo
09-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Thatíd be a good punishment. Serves them OO peeps right. :D

Worked out well for GoJet also. Have bad performance in New York and you get moved to a better market. Then they can gloat about their performance

TheWeatherman
09-18-2018, 07:05 AM
To be fair, New York flying is kind of advanced. Skywest is just not there yet and do not understand that their 3 knot taxi and 15 minute after start checklists won't fly there (no pun intended). Some day, perhaps with some more training and experienced pilots, they'll be there. And we'll see those "175s" back in action.

sn00p
09-18-2018, 07:23 AM
To be fair, New York flying is kind of advanced. Skywest is just not there yet and do not understand that their 3 knot taxi and 15 minute after start checklists won't fly there (no pun intended). Some day, perhaps with some more training and experienced pilots, they'll be there. And we'll see those "175s" back in action.

This...

Whenever I see a republic or endeavor plane taxi by I watch in amazement and tell the other dude or dudette, ďif you believe and try your hardest.... then just maybe.... just maybe you too can be the gold standard one day.Ē :D

peepz
09-18-2018, 07:33 AM
This...

Whenever I see a republic or endeavor plane taxi by I watch in amazement and tell the other dude or dudette, ďif you believe and try your hardest.... then just maybe.... just maybe you too can be the gold standard one day.Ē :D

They are the gold standard though on the east coast. Iím just curious where can we find these performance numbers on delta net. I need a good laugh and would love to see how bad the numbers are.

Captain Slow
09-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Talking down about other regionals with an air of superiority is how SkyWest got their reputation for being a bunch of blowhards.

Letís not be the next group of blowhards.

gojo
09-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Talking down about other regionals with an air of superiority is how SkyWest got their reputation for being a bunch of blowhards.

Letís not be the next group of blowhards.

Maybe so. But you gotta admit, by doing so those Skywest blowhards in affect painted a pretty big target on themselves

Captain Slow
09-18-2018, 09:44 AM
I donít disagree. Iíd just hate to see our pilot group in the same position in the future.

sn00p
09-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Maybe so. But you gotta admit, by doing so those Skywest blowhards in affect painted a pretty big target on themselves

The best part is those ďblowhardsĒ you refer to are likely not even in LGA.

Regardless, best of luck to all.

gojo
09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
The best part is those ďblowhardsĒ you refer to are likely not even in LGA.

Regardless, best of luck to all.

Iím not specifying any geographical area. I doubt anyone else is either. Iíve never heard anyone say, that X group of pilots in wherever are anything. Gate agents, well thatís another story. As they say, bad apples spoil the bunch

wrxpilot
09-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Iím not specifying any geographical area. I doubt anyone else is either. Iíve never heard anyone say, that X group of pilots in wherever are anything. Gate agents, well thatís another story. As they say, bad apples spoil the bunch

Iím guessing they are very inexperienced 20 somethings. Or just really immature.

Iíve come across some tools at every pilot group. But the vast majority among all groups have been good guys/ladies. I guarantee anyone that has been around awhile feels the same.

Green Needles
09-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Being in a real union job prior to the airlines, I hope you've seen enough to know ALPA isn't a real union. They're better than what SKW has, but far from being a true labor union.

Broncofan
09-19-2018, 06:04 AM
I don’t think anyone’s jealous of Skywest at all. Not sure what there would be to be jealous about. Once your pilot group unionizes and stops reaping the benefits of what other unionized pilot groups have fought for your group would probably be respected a lot more. You guys deserve more than what your management is giving you.

I’m no longer at SkyWest. And sure maybe there is nothing to be jealous of. All I know though is when I was there, I never heard anyone I flew with talk down about another pilot group, always accepted any one in the jump seat. I’ve very rarely encountered the elitist attitudes you guys talk of. However reading this forum has kinda made you guys out to be the same people you are accusing SkyWest guys of being. I’m with an ALPA carrier now, and I hope SkyWest makes that plunge, but I’m not going to treat anyone like they are inferior to me.

Gravity88x
09-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Being in a real union job prior to the airlines, I hope you've seen enough to know ALPA isn't a real union. They're better than what SKW has, but far from being a true labor union.

I invite you to read the book ďflying the lineĒ which is about ALPAs history.

Part of the reason ALPA doesnít pack as much of a punch as say the Teamsters for UPS drivers or United Steelworkers for construction is because we have always been viewed by both the public and politicians as Professionals comparable to Lawyers or Doctors. Why would we possibly need as much labor power as a real laborer does?? Believe me ALPA, IPA, APA, Southwest, and IBT do just fine for the cards dealt to them. Hate them while things are going well ok fine, but believe me when **** hits the fan they are going to be there for you.

Swagship
09-19-2018, 08:20 AM
I invite you to read the book ďflying the lineĒ which is about ALPAs history.

Part of the reason ALPA doesnít pack as much of a punch as say the Teamsters for UPS drivers or United Steelworkers for construction is because we have always been viewed by both the public and politicians as Professionals comparable to Lawyers or Doctors. Why would we possibly need as much labor power as a real laborer does?? Believe me ALPA, IPA, APA, Southwest, and IBT do just fine for the cards dealt to them. Hate them while things are going well ok fine, but believe me when **** hits the fan they are going to be there for you.
I like this guy.

majorpilot
09-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Iím no longer at SkyWest. And sure maybe there is nothing to be jealous of. All I know though is when I was there, I never heard anyone I flew with talk down about another pilot group, always accepted any one in the jump seat. Iíve very rarely encountered the elitist attitudes you guys talk of. However reading this forum has kinda made you guys out to be the same people you are accusing SkyWest guys of being. Iím with an ALPA carrier now, and I hope SkyWest makes that plunge, but Iím not going to treat anyone like they are inferior to me.

Iím new to this industry and SkyWest, so have a limited basis for comparison. But I agree with this post. A little common human decency goes a long way.

fortyeight
09-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Iím new to this industry and SkyWest, so have a limited basis for comparison. But I agree with this post. A little common human decency goes a long way.

Nobody is treating anyone with lack of human decency. This is purely about the insane slowdown in LGA since Skywest has been there.

TheWeatherman
09-19-2018, 12:18 PM
Same with my post, it was half in jest. I don't consider Skywest pilots any better or worse. However, when the antics of one airline start to majorly effect the operations of others, you have to expect some vitriol in response.

WesternSkies
09-19-2018, 12:40 PM
What "antics"?

TheWeatherman
09-19-2018, 12:42 PM
What "antics"?
read thread

WesternSkies
09-19-2018, 12:52 PM
read thread

What do you believe our pilots deliberately doing?

TheWeatherman
09-19-2018, 12:54 PM
What do you believe our pilots deliberately doing?
It was all explained in the thread. If you are not going to read the thread and just join the conversation at the end, I am not going to help you.

amcnd
09-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Remember thats some of OOís most Jr Captains and FOís. They are managing threats by creating time.. taking it slow, first time flying out east, ect...

WesternSkies
09-19-2018, 01:07 PM
It was all explained in the thread. If you are not going to read the thread and just join the conversation at the end, I am not going to help you.

If you donít want to give specifics then we canít help you understand or us correct these ďanticsĒ.

wrxpilot
09-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Remember thats some of OOís most Jr Captains and FOís. They are managing threats by creating time.. taking it slow, first time flying out east, ect...

Thatís a good point. Itís really new territory for SKW, and I know if I had been tasked with flying out there as a new CA, I definitely wouldnít have been rushing things. LGA can be confusing, and trash talking pilots that are presumably not rushing is really pathetic.

TheWeatherman
09-19-2018, 01:23 PM
If you donít want to give specifics then we canít help you understand or us correct these ďanticsĒ.
You mean the specifics discussed in this thread? I am not here to summarize for you. It is only 7 pages, get reading.

majorpilot
09-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Nobody is treating anyone with lack of human decency. This is purely about the insane slowdown in LGA since Skywest has been there.

My post wasnít tied to this thread, Iím sorry if it created that impression. There seems to be a lot of vitriol - and not just at SkyWest - on APC. Maybe itís the nature of this site, or social media generally, but itís not been something Iíve come across much in three decades around aviation. Iíve found pilots to be engaging, helpful and decent fellow citizens, so Iím hoping what Iíve been reading here is tilted by a few outliers. Wasnít aiming at anyone in particular or even on this thread.

Any one of us could end up needing another of us, and we all face the same threats out there. I for one wonít be disinclined to help when itís my turn because of someoneís jacket, employer or position.

Captain Slow
09-19-2018, 05:54 PM
My post wasnít tied to this thread, Iím sorry if it created that impression. There seems to be a lot of vitriol - and not just at SkyWest - on APC. Maybe itís the nature of this site, or social media generally, but itís not been something Iíve come across much in three decades around aviation. Iíve found pilots to be engaging, helpful and decent fellow citizens, so Iím hoping what Iíve been reading here is tilted by a few outliers. Wasnít aiming at anyone in particular or even on this thread.

Any one of us could end up needing another of us, and we all face the same threats out there. I for one wonít be disinclined to help when itís my turn because of someoneís jacket, employer or position.

APC is basically a cesspool of disgruntled people gathering to complain about the same things in slightly different forms repetitively.

Occasionally, you might happen upon a helpful bit of information or even a rational individual. These events are increasingly rare, as those helpful posts and rational individuals get drowned out by a sea of keyboard warriors comparing the sizes of their wedding vegetables.

wrxpilot
09-19-2018, 05:57 PM

This is a great post! I completely agree. These super angry types are quite rare in the real world.

gojo
09-19-2018, 07:11 PM

If youíre going back 30 years, and you compare and contrast then and now youíll realize much has changed. First off, we didnít have internet. And therefore no forums. These forums, as in life are not going to be just sunshine and rainbows. Sorry. If you want that switch to Facebook where everyone only talks and gloats about the good things. Itís alright to vent frustrations. What happens is peopleís defense mechanisms kick in and the conversation goes downhill fast. As you said, we should help each other? I agree, but solidarity seems to have died long ago in this business.

N1CEandEZ
09-20-2018, 05:41 AM

Have some decency. Itís a new base with junior crews. Iím sure you guys have had the same effect in other places.

Utah
09-20-2018, 05:58 AM
Have some decency. Itís a new base with junior crews. Iím sure you guys have had the same effect in other places.

Yeah, junior as in most of the pilots are still doing IOE, or just off it.

4V14T0R
09-20-2018, 08:00 AM
Look, I get most of you guys have never been there and are new to operating out of there regularly, but LGA is everyoneís junior base. We all have junior CAs and FOs in LGA so I donít see how thatís an excuse.

fortyeight
09-20-2018, 11:12 AM
APC is basically a cesspool of disgruntled people gathering to complain about the same things in slightly different forms repetitively.

Occasionally, you might happen upon a helpful bit of information or even a rational individual. These events are increasingly rare, as those helpful posts and rational individuals get drowned out by a sea of keyboard warriors comparing the sizes of their wedding vegetables.

Hahahaha! Wedding vegetables lol. Thanks for the good laugh.

saxman66
09-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I'm SKW based in LGA but pretty senior. I'm former Comair and was based in JFK then so I know the whole NYC operation. Pretty much all my trips are teaching newer FO's the ropes. I even had to teach a check airmen how things worked there the other day. Pretty much its go fast in the air and keep things going on the ground, but also be cautious. This is why I almost always taxi two engines in LGA. I want both of our heads out the window and I want to cross 4/22 to be ready at the end. Of course you never know. when you'll be #2 down there or #30. But if I'm unsure of something, I will slow down and clarify. Safety and my certificate trumps someone getting to the gate a little quicker. Just the other day ground tells us to taxi out and by the way, you're on the Flushing climb instead of the Whitestone! Our SOP highly encourages us to stop and reprogram the box and brief. Luckily we had time to so while holding short another taxiway, so we weren't blocking the alley. But I could easily see ground telling us to remain in the ally before we were ready too. Obviously, I'll use my best SA to try and move out of the way when possible with ground or ramp. I like to see the operation move smoothly as much as any of us.

All I see here are a couple of anecdotal stories about how SKW didn't move quick enough out of the way. The story about the guy crossing the runway and then stopping while causing a go around. Yeah I'll give you that one. That was tool like behavior for being totally oblivious to the operation and lacking SA.

jtsastre
09-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I'm SKW based in LGA but pretty senior. I'm former Comair and was based in JFK then so I know the whole NYC operation. Pretty much all my trips are teaching newer FO's the ropes. I even had to teach a check airmen how things worked there the other day. Pretty much its go fast in the air and keep things going on the ground, but also be cautious. This is why I almost always taxi two engines in LGA. I want both of our heads out the window and I want to cross 4/22 to be ready at the end. Of course you never know. when you'll be #2 down there or #30. But if I'm unsure of something, I will slow down and clarify. Safety and my certificate trumps someone getting to the gate a little quicker. Just the other day ground tells us to taxi out and by the way, you're on the Flushing climb instead of the Whitestone! Our SOP highly encourages us to stop and reprogram the box and brief. Luckily we had time to so while holding short another taxiway, so we weren't blocking the alley. But I could easily see ground telling us to remain in the ally before we were ready too. Obviously, I'll use my best SA to try and move out of the way when possible with ground or ramp. I like to see the operation move smoothly as much as any of us.

All I see here are a couple of anecdotal stories about how SKW didn't move quick enough out of the way. The story about the guy crossing the runway and then stopping while causing a go around. Yeah I'll give you that one. That was tool like behavior for being totally oblivious to the operation and lacking SA.

Thanks for your reply, it was admirable. Ignore the typical APC bashing, it apparently makes people feel better about themselves to put others down. Typical grade-school rhetoric.