Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Latest EFB News?

BestOfficeEver
09-07-2018, 07:29 AM
What's the latest on when EFB's will hit the line?

dead meat
09-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Depends on what member of management you ask. Somewhere between "two weeks" and "November". Two weeks from what day and November of what year are anybody's guess.

Freebreakfast11
09-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Guarantee we will have EFBs by November

Hou757
09-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Dude, that's crazy. I had no idea Commutair did not have EFB's? Just a few years late. Hopefully soon...

Blackhawk
09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Dude, that's crazy. I had no idea Commutair did not have EFB's? Just a few years late. Hopefully soon...

No kidding. Are they the last paper holdouts??

corporategypsy
09-10-2018, 01:19 PM
I heard from my friend who works there it will definitely be by Dec. Jeppesen is discontinuing their paper charts soon anyway.

v1valarob
09-12-2018, 08:28 AM
Training module for EFBs has been issued this week. EFBs will start to be handed out next week. I hear the plan is for October 1st to start the trial, and then sometimes after we'll dump the paper charts and be all EFB.

marshal
09-13-2018, 08:31 AM
Training module for EFBs has been issued this week. EFBs will start to be handed out next week. I hear the plan is for October 1st to start the trial, and then sometimes after we'll dump the paper charts and be all EFB.

iPads getting passed out starting out next week according to email sent yesterday.

flying4401
09-19-2018, 05:00 AM
Heard they are being released this week and next week. Some have already gotten them.

PosRateGearUp
09-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Heard they are being released this week and next week. Some have already gotten them.

Correct. Trial period begins Oct 1 with a tentative completion by Nov 31 and FAA approval by end of year. Still a long process but significantly shortened trial period, from typical 6 months, due to the fact that we are most likely the last paper holdouts.

corporategypsy
09-19-2018, 11:40 AM
And the 145 has been flying around with iPad for a while now. The faa knows they are safe.

JediCheese
09-19-2018, 12:16 PM
The iPad and air frame is a known factor. I bet the FAA is unlikely to give a crap about that part of it.

They are more likely to be worried about the IT infrastructure. A pilot updates their iPad and it downloads an old version of the approach chart. Or it says it's updated when it didn't update. Or the server goes down and it can't update anymore.

Think of the PHL departure chart debacle recently only multiply it by every flight and the flight crew has no easy way of knowing that it's happening and thus walks blindly into it.

The pilot/flight deck part of EFBs is the easiest part and most well understood part of the puzzle.

SpringLanding
12-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Well, how did it turn out? Are the IPads LTE equipped or do you have to update in your hotel each night?

Melit
12-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Well, how did it turn out? Are the IPads LTE equipped or do you have to update in your hotel each night?

Do you have trouble finding a wall outlet?

SpringLanding
12-06-2018, 05:31 PM
For pilots who work at c5... how did the iPad roll out go? What do you think?

njd1
12-06-2018, 06:19 PM
For pilots who work at c5... how did the iPad roll out go? What do you think?

Ipads are in everyone's hands and given to all new hire classes.

We use JeppView for charts and Comply365 for controlled documentation (AOM, GOM, Data Cards, etc.). These apps are proven elsewhere and they work. Downside is we presently have no weather app like WSI or any crew scheduling app. Hopefully those will come with time.

We are technically still required to have paper in the airplane but I just heard at a company meeting that as of December 20th that will no longer be the case. Anyone coming in since early November should never have to carry paper on the line. Can't believe it took C5 this long to get with the program but it's more or less done.

Releases are still required to be in paper and signed with a real pen, but there are plans to distribute and sign releases digitally via Comply365. No idea as to when that work will be done.

FYI, all of our ipads are LTE equipped but presently only WiFi is supported. I have no idea when or if that will change, but I think the company is intending to provide data plans simply because they know it will help us do our quick turns (24 min).

Summary: If you were using paper charts as an excuse to avoid C5 (and I wouldn't blame you), that is no longer an issue.

P.S. We're also about to get D-ATIS and PDC support via ACARS.

SpringLanding
12-07-2018, 01:36 AM
Thanks a lot, that’s pretty helpful to hear. Hope you guys get the LTE working soon.

jacburn
12-08-2018, 05:18 AM
My understanding was the iPads with lte service were purchased for the gps capability. The plan is to get the iPads faa approval and then at a later point do additional training for the “own ship” feature that requires the gps.

As always with the aviation industry, the above is subject to change.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1