Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

FlyingDawgg
09-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone,

My student went in to get his medical today and failed the eye portion. He went to the eye doctor the next day and the doctor said he doesn't need glasses. What does he have to do now. I'm at a lost....

Web265
09-12-2018, 11:26 AM
There are several aspects to the "eye portion" but without more specifics maybe have the eye doctor fill out an FAA 8500-7 and take it to the AME?

Hi everyone,

My student went in to get his medical today and failed the eye portion. He went to the eye doctor the next day and the doctor said he doesn't need glasses. What does he have to do now. I'm at a lost....

FlyingDawgg
09-12-2018, 11:44 AM
I'll look into that. I called AOPA for some help. Sadly the FAA is on a 3 month back up.

There are several aspects to the "eye portion" but without more specifics maybe have the eye doctor fill out an FAA 8500-7 and take it to the AME?

aiir
09-12-2018, 12:17 PM
If it was the color portion of the test, which does indeed involve the eyes then there are other alternate tests that he could take, depending on the degree of color blindness, some are easier to pass than others. It is very important to try the alternate tests before doing the FAA test, since that one is final, if you fail it, you will never in your life fly solo at night.

When I went in for my test, the doc also did some eye test with letters/numbers and a straight line that crossed between a certain letter, and I had to tell him which one. I don't know what that test does, it was done in one of those machines where you stick your eyes via a visor of sorts, perhaps it was that one, it's hard to say.

FlyingDawgg
09-12-2018, 01:05 PM
He failed the vision test. His eye doctor said he has 20/20...

Excargodog
09-12-2018, 01:38 PM
He failed the vision test. His eye doctor said he has 20/20...

What PART of the "vision test" did he fail?

Near visual acuity?
Distant visual acuity?
Intermediate visual acuity?
Color vision?

It makes a difference what you do next.

Excargodog
09-12-2018, 01:43 PM
When I went in for my test, the doc also did some eye test with letters/numbers and a straight line that crossed between a certain letter, and I had to tell him which one. I don't know what that test does, it was done in one of those machines where you stick your eyes via a visor of sorts, perhaps it was that one, it's hard to say.

Looking for phorias and tropias and assessing for stereopsis. I think the military still does that one but I don't believe the FAA actually has a standard for it. In fact, since they'll give SODAs for monocular pilots, they can't actually take it very seriously. :D

trip
09-12-2018, 03:59 PM
The AME didn't tell your student what part he failed? Maybe a phone call to the AME with your student present would shed some light?

FlyingDawgg
09-12-2018, 04:17 PM
I'll have to call the AME then. He's leaving me in the dark. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Excargodog
09-12-2018, 05:28 PM
I'll have to call the AME then. He's leaving me in the dark. Thanks for the feedback guys.

No. Your STUDENT will have to call the AME. If the AME gives you that information he/she is in a lot of trouble.

Does your student not speak adequate English to understand what is going on him/her self? I've never heard of an AME not explaining to a pilot what disqualifying defect they had.

It is possible it is totally unrelated to vision but your student is simply claiming that to avoid divulging to you what the real problem is.

aggie02
09-12-2018, 07:49 PM

This, have the eye doctor fill out the 8500-7. Take that to the AME, the AME then will not have to administer a vision test.

Additionally, I have trouble passing a vision test with one of the DMV style machines. The machine tries to trick your eyes into distance vision. It doesnít work for everybody. If itís a traditional eye chart, I easily pass. Maybe your student has a similar problem?I just go to an AME that uses a traditional chart.

Stimpy the Kat
09-13-2018, 08:05 AM
"...depending on the degree of color blindness....It is very important to try the alternate tests before doing the FAA test, since that one is final, if you fail it, you will never in your life fly solo at night."

WRONG.

Please don't burst people's bubble with incorrect information.

I am Color-Blind. I failed the Color Vision test. I had the Solo Night Restriction and then did both the First and Second Class Medical tests for demonstrated ability and had the restriction removed.

I have been flying for 44 years...30 of those flying 121 operations for 3 different airlines.

Typed in: CE-500, B-727, B-737, B-747-2, B-747-4

Color Blindness is NOT a Game Ender.

Thanks.

:)

STK

aiir
09-13-2018, 12:06 PM
"...depending on the degree of color blindness....It is very important to try the alternate tests before doing the FAA test, since that one is final, if you fail it, you will never in your life fly solo at night."

WRONG.

Please don't burst people's bubble with incorrect information.

I am Color-Blind. I failed the Color Vision test. I had the Solo Night Restriction and then did both the First and Second Class Medical tests for demonstrated ability and had the restriction removed.

I have been flying for 44 years...30 of those flying 121 operations for 3 different airlines.

Typed in: CE-500, B-727, B-737, B-747-2, B-747-4

Color Blindness is NOT a Game Ender.

Thanks.

STK

I think you misunderstood my statement. I was urging people who failed the color portion of their eye exam to seek one of the FAAís alternate tests like the Farnsworth Lantern Test or others before going and taking the demonstrated ability one with the FAA since it appears that one is final. If you fail it, that is it. Where as you can keep cycling through the alternate tests until you find one that you can pass, and with people with borderline color blindness, like for example, I was one plate away from passing, itís better to just look for an alternate test than to gamble my whole career on the whims of some FAA examiner.

I wish one could take the demonstrated ability test (OCVT) more than once, since if you pass it that one is final as well, youíre good for life, and who knows, I might take it the second time around. Iím also only talking Class 1 Medical here, I perhaps did jump the gun there, since I donít know anything about 2, and 3.

The FedEx crash put a hamper on things, before that you could apperantly go to an eye doc, pass some alternate test and youíd get a SODA good for life, but that was before 2008.

Thereís also a thread that I read, either here on APC or Reddit about a guy who was tired of doing alternate tests and just went ahead and did the OCVT, he detailed the whole thing perfectly, for anyone interested.

All I know is that if I would have been guided to take that test and somehow managed to fail it, I would be devastated, and I donít want that to happen to anyone.

Also, for anyone reading this. Perhaps the best advice is to just take the OCVT, thatís what my AME suggested. Iím no authority in these matters, and only offer an opinion. I know that these posts stay on forever, so I donít want lead anyone astray.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/Color%20Vision%20Testing%20Flowchart.pdf

Pilot Muscle
09-18-2018, 11:00 AM
The military has a depth perception test and I've heard more people failed this test than passing it.:eek:

FlyingDawgg
09-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Update: Student left out some information and or either lied to me. We got it figured out. He has to go back with his newly prescribed glasses and retest.

rickair7777
09-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Update: Student left out some information and or either lied to me. We got it figured out. He has to go back with his glasses and retest.

Glasses usually help for me.

Stimpy the Kat
09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
" Student left out some information and or either lied to me."

Sometimes...The seat attachments and doors have been known to fail simultaneously in certain High-Wing training aircraft.

I'm just sayin', Ya know....Sometimes.

It happens.

:(

STK

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1