Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SkyWest LGA contract

FlyingDutch
09-14-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm thinking about joining SkyWest because of their recent opening of a pilot base in LGA (I know this is not popular with everyone, but I live and want to keep living in NYC). Does anyone know why they opened the base in the first place, and if this base will be there long term? Does anyone know more about the contract that provides the flying, for example, when does it expire? I appreciate any info that can help me make my decision. Thanks!

amcnd
09-14-2018, 08:49 AM
12 year contract flying for Delta with those aircraft.. still taking deliveries.. Very Very Jr...

saxman66
09-14-2018, 10:03 AM
You're right, LGA is very junior, and you'll get it right away. 20-30 planes will eventually be based in LGA. Endeavor and Republic also have NYC bases with much better pay and better contracts. So don't forget to look at them.

ninerdriver
09-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Endeavor and Republic also have NYC bases with much better pay and better contracts. So don't forget to look at them.

This. Curious: what's drawing you to SkyWest for LGA? For those who want E-jets in NYC and better short term QOL, then Republic is the usual choice. For those who want the best pay in NYC and don't mind reserve for a while, then Endeavor is the usual choice.

amcnd
09-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Agreed. Lots of options. SkyWestís only advantage is how super Jr it is, and will be for a ling time... So you could get in, Upgrade, And move on fast...

word302
09-14-2018, 11:47 AM
If you want LGA Skywest is the last place I would be looking at.

trip
09-14-2018, 12:57 PM
and if this base will be there long term?

Don't plan on anything being longterm in the regional airline biz. Employee churn and whipsaw keeps the costs down.

FlyingDutch
09-15-2018, 05:24 AM
This. Curious: what's drawing you to SkyWest for LGA? For those who want E-jets in NYC and better short term QOL, then Republic is the usual choice. For those who want the best pay in NYC and don't mind reserve for a while, then Endeavor is the usual choice.

Its the RTP program, Endeavor and Replic donít have these programs.

SilentLurker
09-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Its the RTP program, Endeavor and Replic donít have these programs.

Envoy does... Envoy started the RTP program. If your not interested in Envoy I donít blame you. But Rsv at home base is not the same as Rsv commuter. Iíd give Envoy a second look if RTP & LGA base is your goal. LGA is very junior no matter which carrier you go with.

Help our industry out, join a unionized carrier. Donít gut it.

rswitz
09-15-2018, 09:41 AM
SkyWest sucks. Pay sucks and our work rules are non existent. Don't come here.

Excargodog
09-15-2018, 10:01 AM
It is difficult to understand why you would forgo Republic's $17,500 bonus, better pay scale, better per diem, and better work rules, and far better training pay to work for Skywest if you want LGA anyway, although I'll grant you, 'brickyard' seems like a silly call sign.

FlyingDutch
09-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Envoy does... Envoy started the RTP program. If your not interested in Envoy I donít blame you. But Rsv at home base is not the same as Rsv commuter. Iíd give Envoy a second look if RTP & LGA base is your goal. LGA is very junior no matter which carrier you go with.

Unfortunately they donít have RTP for civilians. Skywest is the only carrier based in LGA or JFK with a civilian RTP. I appreciate all the warnings about lesser conditions, but I donít have much choice. Do you know anything else about the actual survival of the SkyWest LGA base and contract? Someone said the contract is 12y, when did it start?

FlyingDutch
09-15-2018, 03:21 PM
It is difficult to understand why you would forgo Republic's $17,500 bonus, better pay scale, better per diem, and better work rules, and far better training pay to work for Skywest if you want LGA anyway, although I'll grant you, 'brickyard' seems like a silly call sign.

They don’t have a civilian RTP. Skywest gives me $27,500 bonus to compensate me for my training cost. I appreciate the warninings about lessor conditions but don’t have much choice. Do you know anything about the contract/base survival? Thanks

Shadre Reevis
09-15-2018, 04:18 PM
They donít have a civilian RTP. Skywest gives me $27,500 bonus to compensate me for my training cost. I appreciate the warninings about lessor conditions but donít have much choice. Do you know anything about the contract/base survival? ThanksI hear from lesser sources that their presence in NY is at risk due to poor performance.

Excargodog
09-15-2018, 04:42 PM
They donít have a civilian RTP. Skywest gives me $27,500 bonus to compensate me for my training cost. I appreciate the warninings about lessor conditions but donít have much choice. Do you know anything about the contract/base survival? Thanks

All regional flying is at the whim of the codeshare partner. But why worry? Take Skywest's money and get your training and type rating. Once you have that you can move to an LGA based regional with better pay and rules. Complete whatever you are obligated by contract to do with Skywest but don't think you owe them any favors afterward. They damn sure won't do YOU any favors.

WesternSkies
09-15-2018, 05:03 PM
I hear from lesser sources that their presence in NY is at risk due to poor performance.

We are over staffed in Lga and a quick look at the stats doesnít show any issues. Have a link to different stats?

Shadre Reevis
09-15-2018, 05:57 PM
We are over staffed in Lga and a quick look at the stats doesn’t show any issues. Have a link to different stats?I wouldn't know if I have different stats since you haven't provided a link for your own stats. Also I understand EDV has had to cover over 160 flights for other carriers last month alone. I don't know how many were Skywest, but you can see how that might affect overall performance.

Not here to badmouth anyone, just telling what I heard. Grain of salt and all that.

amcnd
09-15-2018, 06:07 PM
I hear from lesser sources that their presence in NY is at risk due to poor performance.

I laugh when anyone says that... that has been time tested as a urban myth....

Shadre Reevis
09-15-2018, 06:19 PM
I laugh when anyone says that... that has been time tested as a urban myth....Time tested? May I ask how long you have had a base in LGA?

WesternSkies
09-15-2018, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't know if I have different stats since you haven't provided a link for your own stats. Also I understand EDV has had to cover over 160 flights for other carriers last month alone. I don't know how many were Skywest, but you can see how that might affect overall performance.

Not here to badmouth anyone, just telling what I heard. Grain of salt and all that.

So no deltanet or DOT... just what you have heard. Ok.

Shadre Reevis
09-15-2018, 06:37 PM
So no deltanet or DOT... just what you have heard. Ok.On Deltanet, SKW CF in LGA is down to 94%, whereas Republic and EDV are at 99% or better. That supports the notion that a lot of SKW flights are being covered by other carriers. I can't tell though if that's just today, or MTD. Firefox doesn't work well with deltanet.

ninerdriver
09-15-2018, 07:09 PM
On Deltanet, SKW CF in LGA is down to 94%, whereas Republic and EDV are at 99% or better. That supports the notion that a lot of SKW flights are being covered by other carriers. I can't tell though if that's just today, or MTD. Firefox doesn't work well with deltanet.

The 94% CF is today only. Yesterday, OO was at 95% CF.

amcnd
09-15-2018, 07:19 PM
With the minimal flights they still do in LGA, one RT canceled and that puts it at 95%

Shadre Reevis
09-15-2018, 07:31 PM
The 94% CF is today only. Yesterday, OO was at 95% CF.I see. Then I don't know how to see monthly stats for LGA only. If you guys really do that little flying in LGA right now, it might be too early to gauge performance anyway.

amcnd
09-15-2018, 07:35 PM
11 aircraft (DL 175ís) flying in LGA today. One RT to CHS cancled.. Do to The tropical storm issue

TenaciousB
09-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately they donít have RTP for civilians. Skywest is the only carrier based in LGA or JFK with a civilian RTP. I appreciate all the warnings about lesser conditions, but I donít have much choice. Do you know anything else about the actual survival of the SkyWest LGA base and contract? Someone said the contract is 12y, when did it start?

I would not count on LGA necessarily being around for the long term. It is a new base and bases come and go. Ask yourself this. If the LGA base closed shortly after you joined, would you still be glad you made the decision you did because of the RTP transition program? Even if it means commuting to ORD or moving?

jpso
09-15-2018, 07:53 PM

Damn dude. Didn't you just start here in like July? How can you tell people not to come here when you just started here too?

TimetoClimb
09-16-2018, 06:42 AM
I would not count on LGA necessarily being around for the long term. It is a new base and bases come and go. Ask yourself this. If the LGA base closed shortly after you joined, would you still be glad you made the decision you did because of the RTP transition program? Even if it means commuting to ORD or moving?

It will be open for 2yrs BARE MINIMUM per our policy manual

TimetoClimb
09-16-2018, 06:43 AM
We are over staffed in Lga and a quick look at the stats doesnít show any issues. Have a link to different stats?

I think on the FO side maybe ... not enough captains trained yet to grow the base.

Cefiro
09-16-2018, 07:14 AM

I bet you're a blast to spend a 4 day with!

WesternSkies
09-16-2018, 08:05 AM
On Deltanet, SKW CF in LGA is down to 94%, whereas Republic and EDV are at 99% or better. That supports the notion that a lot of SKW flights are being covered by other carriers. I can't tell though if that's just today, or MTD. Firefox doesn't work well with deltanet.

There might be a miscommunication.
Cancellations matter but they donít really count against you if they are not a ďcontrollableĒ cancellation. Not launching due to weather is a safety issue.
CF is everything.

Shadre Reevis
09-16-2018, 08:09 AM
There might be a miscommunication.
Cancellations matter but they don’t really count against you if they are not a “controllable” cancellation. Not launching due to weather is a safety issue.
CF is everything.I think you meant to say CCF is everything. However what you said is not necessarily true. Especially if other carriers are covering your flights. Your CCF could still be 100%, but CF would suffer due to your scheduled flights being completed by other carriers.

This is all in theory, of course. I have no idea how many of our extra segments were covering for any specific airline.

WesternSkies
09-16-2018, 09:23 AM
I think you meant to say CCF is everything. However what you said is not necessarily true. Especially if other carriers are covering your flights. Your CCF could still be 100%, but CF would suffer due to your scheduled flights being completed by other carriers.

This is all in theory, of course. I have no idea how many of our extra segments were covering for any specific airline.

You are saying your CCF is every cancellation so how can you also say CCF % could be higher than CF?

threeighteen
09-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Envoy has garbage concessionary contract work rules and is still on that contract for quite some time IIRC. Plus, you can't get a $45k bonus from Envoy for being a street captain if you already work there. SkyWest may be the better option in LGA if you have 0 121 time, especially if you're a civilian rotor guy looking for an RTP.

Shadre Reevis
09-16-2018, 11:48 AM
You are saying your CCF is every cancellation so how can you also say CCF % could be higher than CF?I never said CCF is "every cancellation". You don't seem to understand the difference between CF and CCF. I'll try to explain.

CF is the completion percentage of all flying that is awarded to the carrier for the month. Once that flying is awarded, you either complete the flying or you don't. Weather cancellations count against CF but not necessarily against your performance evaluation, because weather is uncontrollable. Forfeited flying due to inability to staff a growing base, for example, will count against CF and overall performance. Delta knows when other carriers are covering your flying.

CCF, controllable completion factor, suffers when the carrier cannot complete flying that is awarded and not forfeited, for reasons within the carrier's control. For some reason this includes maintenance. After you forfeit the flying, the other carrier assumes responsibility for CCF, since you cannot control flying that you have forfeited. But the fact that your carrier could not handle its contracted flying has to be noted somehow. So, CF suffers.

In layman's terms, you can have only 94% CF due to forfeited flying, but have 100% CCF for completing 100% of that 94%. For the same reason you can have 100% CCF with weather cancellations.

WesternSkies
09-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Thank you, that is why I asked because you stated CCF was ďeverythingĒ which you have just proven you know it is not. Did you mean something else by ďeverythingĒ
This is also why when you see 94% on Deltanet it might not mean anything.
Our Delta CCF is currently 100%.
Mostly* every regional covers flying every month and every* carrier gets flights covered every month. It is a dynamic system.

Shadre Reevis
09-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Thank you, that is why I asked because you stated CCF was ďeverythingĒ which you have just proven you know it is not. Did you mean something else by ďeverythingĒ
This is also why when you see 94% on Deltanet it might not mean anything.
Our Delta CCF is currently 100%.
Mostly* every regional covers flying every month and every* carrier gets flights covered every month. It is a dynamic system.By "everything", I thought you meant CF is most important metric. Probably just a miscommunication. Yes every carrier gets flying covered, I just know that for August, EDV covered 4x as many flights than it had to have covered. Finally, 100% CCF doesn't equal good performance. You could forfeit 4 flights a day and get 100% CCF. You could complete all your flights 6 hours late and get 100% CCF.

WesternSkies
09-16-2018, 12:30 PM
I donít think we (oo pilots) have access to covered or forfeit flight information

Shadre Reevis
09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
I donít think we (oo pilots) have access to covered or forfeit flight informationI can't see it either, this info was given via company communication. So I don't know which airlines covered whose flying, or where.

peepz
09-20-2018, 03:54 AM
Iím hearing rumblings of LGA closing at some point. Past DVRs havenít let anyone in and they let a bunch of FOs out. The most recent new hire class all got ORD. If they have 6 planes coming in October you think they would have staffed it properly for that.

Even the updated DVR has no LGA openings.

WaterRooster
09-20-2018, 04:51 AM
Iím hearing rumblings of LGA closing at some point. Past DVRs havenít let anyone in and they let a bunch of FOs out. The most recent new hire class all got ORD. If they have 6 planes coming in October you think they would have staffed it properly for that.

The plan originally was tofly LGA out of ORD until they had the bulk of the planes here. I would expect LGA to pick up in the next few months.

N1CEandEZ
09-20-2018, 06:31 AM

We are over staffed in LGA so Iím not surprised new hires got ORD. I wouldnít be surprised if most of them put their preference in for ORD over LGA anyway.

TimetoClimb
09-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Look at the forest not the trees. Delta's 175SCs are targeting the NE corridor business market. We are getting 30 of those total. flying those out of LGA now. Is any other base besides ORD flying these yet ? They've been on property for a number of months and all are out east as far as I can tell.

It could all change when mainline gets their A220s but for now im fairly confident LGA will be robust.

SEA and PDX seem to be the sinking ships.

Again it's the stalled captain training that has capped the base.

peepz
10-07-2018, 05:52 AM
So they have dramatically shrunk the base on the FO side and Iím hearing that they are sending all new hire FAs to DFW.

Iím hearing that republic will take back over all the shuttle flying soon.

Anyone have any inside information on when this base is closing?

Apophenia
10-07-2018, 10:06 AM
So they have dramatically shrunk the base on the FO side and Iím hearing that they are sending all new hire FAs to DFW.

I have a source that claims OO is likely to withdraw from LGA in early 2020.

chitolin
10-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Is that the brother of the guy that served coffee once to the sister of a delta rep ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apophenia
10-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Is that the brother of the guy that served coffee once to the sister of a delta rep ?

No, just someone from the OCC. It could be bull like most of the rumors that get passed around. But, if you are familiar with the physical layout of the OCC, you'd understand why previous rumors like ATL, LGA, and DFW bases become common knowledge months before anything official comes out publicly.

In any case, take it with a grain of salt or two. But it is better than 95% of the info that guys on this forum have.

Apophenia
10-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Just someone from the OCC. If you are familiar with the physical layout of the OCC then you know why info passed to mid level flight ops managers get passed around more than would probably be prudent.

In any case take it with a grain of salt.

N1CEandEZ
10-07-2018, 11:30 AM

I donít think anytime soon. We are back up to around 50 FOs on the seniority list which is what we were at before. I hear we will be here for at least two years.

savedbythevnav
10-09-2018, 11:35 AM

The only realistic rumor I have heard is us taking CZ's flying out west when they inevitably kick the bucket when their DL contract isn't renewed.

Would make sense that OO wants this new TA to pass so they can nail the costs down.

Apophenia
10-09-2018, 11:43 AM
The only realistic rumor I have heard is us taking CZ's flying out west when they inevitably kick the bucket when their DL contract isn't renewed.

Would make sense that OO wants this new TA to pass so they can nail the costs down.

That is also what I've heard. The same source that said OO is going to greatly reduce flying in LGA in 2020, claims that a large portion of those DL 175s are moving back west to take over CP flying because they will lose their contract.

hawk21
10-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Hope the rumors are true and we can dump the east coast nonsense and grow out west again.

savedbythevnav
10-09-2018, 12:31 PM
That is also what I've heard. The same source that said OO is going to greatly reduce flying in LGA in 2020, claims that a large portion of those DL 175s are moving back west to take over CP flying because they will lose their contract.

Would help explain why we do 80+ hotel rooms a night in BNA and won't open a domicile.

I hope our east coast stuff is short lived. Let the folks over at YX and 9E have it all they want. I'll take my long SBA and SBP overnights back.

hawk21
10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Would help explain why we do 80+ hotel rooms a night in BNA and won't open a domicile.

Always heard they won't open BNA because the aircraft over nighting are an even split between 175/CRJ. Not sure if true.

savedbythevnav
10-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Always heard they won't open BNA because the aircraft over nighting are an even split between 175/CRJ. Not sure if true.

I'd believe that. I'd be willing to bet it would be a very small ER7 base if it were opened, and it would be closing within 5 years is my guess.

WesternSkies
10-09-2018, 01:20 PM
those Nailed down costs stay stuck for about 2 years before being rehashed.
Where do the Delta owned 175s go after compass?

sn00p
10-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Hope the rumors are true and we can dump the east coast nonsense and grow out west again.

I hope the rumors donít come true. I donít want OO to grow out west at the expense of another great pilot group.

jtsastre
10-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I hope the rumors donít come true. I donít want OO to grow out west at the expense of another great pilot group.

Nobody wants that but itís not up to us. Remember we used to do the flying Compass does now with the 700/900 out of LAX. Itís a shell game.

hawk21
10-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Fortunately we're in a very good industry state these days. There is opportunities for everyone. However I look after my own and hate seeing what's going on in the PNW. I am happy with any west coast expansion for the sake of my coworkers.

sn00p
10-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Fortunately we're in a very good industry state these days. There is opportunities for everyone. However I look after my own and hate seeing what's going on in the PNW. I am happy with any west coast expansion for the sake of my coworkers.

Weíll just have to agree to disagree, unfortunately.

Lots of good people at Compass that donít deserve to have the rug pulled out from under them to make OO a little bit more cozy.

Good luck to all and remeber vote NO <3

Excargodog
10-10-2018, 08:22 AM
We’ll just have to agree to disagree, unfortunately.

Lots of good people at Compass that don’t deserve to have the rug pulled out from under them to make OO a little bit more cozy.

Thanks. Glad you guys are at last seeing some movement from management - although it's your call when SOME movement becomes ADEQUATE movement.

As for where the Compass Delta flying may or may not be going, there are Republic people who are sure it's coming to them (with or without the Compass pilots), Endeavour people who are sure it's coming to them, Mesa people who are sure it's coming to them, and apparently Skywest people pretty sure they are getting it.

Certainly they can't ALL be right and frankly it's entirely possible none of them are. Contract flying - as everyone in the regional business knows - appears to come and go at the whim of the majors and general economy.

Right now things are pretty good and we are all optimistic but $150 a barrel oil (or a big carbon tax) could bring the whole industry down. But oil prices and recessions and contract expiration (yes and furloughs too, even in the majors)will all always be an issue. All anybody can do is make the best decisions they can and roll with the punches.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

savedbythevnav
10-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Thanks. Glad you guys are at last seeing some movement from management - although it's your call when SOME movement becomes ADEQUATE movement.

As for where the Compass Delta flying may or may not be going, there are Republic people who are sure it's coming to them (with or without the Compass pilots), Endeavour people who are sure it's coming to them, Mesa people who are sure it's coming to them, and apparently Skywest people pretty sure they are getting it.

Certainly they can't ALL be right and frankly it's entirely possible none of them are. Contract flying - as everyone in the regional business knows - appears to come and go at the whim of the majors and general economy.

Right now things are pretty good and we are all optimistic but $150 a barrel oil (or a big carbon tax) could bring the whole industry down. But oil prices and recessions and contract expiration (yes and furloughs too, even in the majors)will all always be an issue. All anybody can do is make the best decisions they can and roll with the punches.

I can guarantee you it's not going to Mesa. Delta got bit by that cockroach once already.

sn00p
10-10-2018, 01:52 PM

Yeah, Iím on the sideline looking forward to Compass proving all the ďpeepsĒ wrong that are salivating over the CZ flying.

barj
10-10-2018, 09:06 PM
We are over staffed in LGA so Iím not surprised new hires got ORD. I wouldnít be surprised if most of them put their preference in for ORD over LGA anyway.

To add to the discussion, everyone in the new ERJ class just got assigned LGA last week.

SpringLanding
10-12-2018, 04:09 AM
To add to the discussion, everyone in the new ERJ class just got assigned LGA last week.

Is skywest experiencing sim / training delays with the ERJ like Republic?

jpso
10-12-2018, 04:18 AM

How long is the sim delay at republic? I don't believe there is a large delay; maybe two weeks.

amcnd
10-12-2018, 06:43 AM

Zero delays at OO. You can bid sim In SLC and maybe get a 3-5 day break after ground if you bid the right sim schedule..

TheFly
10-12-2018, 04:42 PM

No.

[no filter].

FlyingDutch
10-22-2019, 08:16 AM
Heard recently from an assistant chief that the LGA base will stay open until the contract runs out. Anyone knowns when that is? Someone on the format page said 12y can someone confirm that? I know some of you would love to see it closed but I live here, like about 30 other pilots I know of, so I'd rather have it open haha.

captive apple
10-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Heard recently from an assistant chief that the LGA base will stay open until the contract runs out. Anyone knowns when that is? Someone on the format page said 12y can someone confirm that? I know some of you would love to see it closed but I live here, like about 30 other pilots I know of, so I'd rather have it open haha.

I'm sure that OO does not plan on flying airplanes in the northeast for 12 years without a maintenance station close by.

hawk21
10-22-2019, 04:46 PM
Last RSR says flying is booked in LGA out until March. Probably winds down after that.

Turbosina
10-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Last RSR says flying is booked in LGA out until March. Probably winds down after that.

Honest answer? Nobody knows. Least of all our legacy partners. I'm not kidding, that's the reality.

saxman66
10-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Every regional that has a NYC base is junior. Iíd go to one that has a bigger footprint though. Republic and Endeavor have better pay and probably better trips. I say this as a former SKW, LGA pilot.

Gone Flying
10-23-2019, 01:24 PM

coming to OO right now for an LGA base is not a good move. odds are better than 50/50 the base will be closed by summer of '20 and even if it didnt, we still pay lower than both republic and endeavor, both of which have jr NY bases. OO is not a bad place to be, but i would not count on any NE flying long term

hawk21
10-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Honest answer? Nobody knows. Least of all our legacy partners. I'm not kidding, that's the reality.

Except for Delta and SkyWest have specifically said we will be focusing out west and Republic grows their LGA presence. You do the math. We are closing LGA, they just donít want to admit it yet. Iíve heard something about they have to keep a base open for at least two years. LGA was announced March 2018 and opened in May. I would not be surprised to see it shut down after summer flying or have ORD crews cover the flying.

herewego
10-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Kinda funny how the dialogue has changed over the past few months.
It used to be "Don't go to Skywest as you'll get stuck in LGA for years before you
can get the west coast."
Now that new hires are getting BOI and SLC before ever finishing IOE it's "Don't go to Skywest because LGA is going to close in a couple of months"

savedbythevnav
10-26-2019, 08:11 AM
I don't think the base will close as quickly as everyone seems to think, but I definitely think it will shrink. In turn, ORD will also shrink since the NYC flying is still tied to quite a few ORD lines.

I could see it being mainly a reserve base in the future and closing if the contract isn't renewed. (By the way, I thought it was a 4 year contract, not 12?)

The NE is 9E/YX's bread and butter. They do it right and will be there for the foreseeable future. If you want to settle down there while you're at the regionals, I'd go with them. It's simply a means to an end.

TimetoClimb
10-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Kinda funny how the dialogue has changed over the past few months.
It used to be "Don't go to Skywest as you'll get stuck in LGA for years before you
can get the west coast."
Now that new hires are getting BOI and SLC before ever finishing IOE it's "Don't go to Skywest because LGA is going to close in a couple of months"

Welcome to aviation...where **** rolls uphill, no one has a crystal ball and the hiring is doesn't stop until the furloughs begin.

captive apple
10-26-2019, 10:53 AM
People don't buy 30 35 million dollar machines for a 4 year contract.

savedbythevnav
10-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Enlighten us

amcnd
10-26-2019, 02:55 PM
Enlighten us

Lets make this easy...The aircraft are on 12 year contracts... where they fly is up to Delta...

hawk21
10-26-2019, 02:56 PM

Yes, which is why they're moving out west.

sn00p
10-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Looks like itís starting to happen.

FilthyFrank
10-28-2019, 07:32 PM
Go look at SEA 175 open time, incentive pay every day. Those planes and pilots can't leave LGA soon enough for OO and DL

FlyingDutch
10-29-2019, 01:46 PM
I'm based in LGA and just got a message that Delta is canceling flights and they'll put reserve on my schedule instead. Is this common, did it happen in other bases?

thaddiusMbuggs
10-29-2019, 01:48 PM
I'm based in LGA and just got a message that Delta is canceling flights and they'll put reserve on my schedule instead. Is this common, did it happen in other bases?

Not LGA based, but my LGA flights for November have all as of today, been cancelled...I guess the push West and out of LGA begins!

Utah
10-29-2019, 01:56 PM
If you aren't real familiar with the cancellation reserve policy, read up on it.

savedbythevnav
10-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Not LGA based, but my LGA flights for November have all as of today, been cancelled...I guess the push West and out of LGA begins!

Havenít heard a peep about that but if it is true...f*ckin MINT!

Gone Flying
10-29-2019, 05:32 PM
If you aren't real familiar with the cancellation reserve policy, read up on it.

just another example of our wonderful student council. out of curiosity, can any other airline just cancel your line and place you on reserve?

ninerdriver
10-29-2019, 06:02 PM
At 9E, we're getting a lot of LGA-GSO, LGA-CAE, etc. popping up in open time, some with flight numbers that we don't usually fly. So... that looks on point.

treelark
10-29-2019, 06:16 PM
just another example of our wonderful student council. out of curiosity, can any other airline just cancel your line and place you on reserve?

It has nothing to do with SAPA and everything to do with Mama D. Compass wet the bed right in time for the holiday travels and needs us to cover SEA. Those "RSV" blocks will turn into OBR or outright DH assignments to the West coast.

Utah
10-29-2019, 07:05 PM
It's not regular reserve like 4 to 4 or 9 to 9. Your callout period is only your originally scheduled duty period. And they can only assign flying during your original duty period. So if you were scheduled to work 10am to 7pm, they can call you at 10am for a noon show and it must release by 7pm. And you'll get at least the credit that your original pairing paid.

I've had stuff cancel out like this in the past and I never wound up working. Granted I typically fly locals or split duties and don't know how it would play out on a 3/4 day.

But like I said, read up on it so they don't use you outside of policy. My guess is they will "reflow" some into trips out west. Watch the report/release times and the credit.

OffAtTango
10-30-2019, 07:55 AM
YX Delta departures in LGA are going from 43 per day in October to 60 per day in December.

KCaviator
10-30-2019, 01:52 PM
LGA will likely close as YX receives CPís aircraft. OO aircraft will migrate out west to cover CP flying while the ďnewĒ YX planes will cover OOís LGA flying.

hawk21
10-30-2019, 02:14 PM
LGA will likely close as YX receives CPís aircraft. OO aircraft will migrate out west to cover CP flying while the ďnewĒ YX planes will cover OOís LGA flying.

This is what Iím trying to tell everybody but nobody believes me. OOís LGA base is toast.

herewego
10-30-2019, 03:31 PM
6 of those CP aircraft will be coming to Skywest in 2020, in addition to 6 more new 175s
http://inc.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/PressReleases/Q3-2019-SKYW-Earnings-Release-FINAL.pdf

TFAYD
10-30-2019, 06:45 PM
This is what Iím trying to tell everybody but nobody believes me. OOís LGA base is toast.

LGA was always a stop gap measure for only a few years. It was never intended to be anything long term.

DL needed some coverage until the C Series / A220 became available. And west coast flying was the bonus for SKYW to put up with the NY drama for some time.

hawk21
10-31-2019, 11:19 AM
LGA was always a stop gap measure for only a few years. It was never intended to be anything long term.

DL needed some coverage until the C Series / A220 became available. And west coast flying was the bonus for SKYW to put up with the NY drama for some time.

Yes I agree. A lot of our coworkers disagree with us though. They're convinced it's sticking around.

TenaciousB
10-31-2019, 06:11 PM
Yes I agree. A lot of our coworkers disagree with us though. They're convinced it's sticking around.

Bases are fickle. Especially at a sub-contractor. If you donít like the way things are, just stick around a bit and theyíll change! On the flip side, donít get comfortable.

Gone Flying
10-31-2019, 06:37 PM
It has nothing to do with SAPA and everything to do with Mama D. Compass wet the bed right in time for the holiday travels and needs us to cover SEA. Those "RSV" blocks will turn into OBR or outright DH assignments to the West coast.

thanking SAPA for CXL RSV policy not moving flying around. requiring a lineholder to sit reserve (2hr callout) because of a schedule change does not seem industry standard.

KCaviator
11-01-2019, 11:48 AM
6 of those CP aircraft will be coming to Skywest in 2020, in addition to 6 more new 175s
http://inc.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/PressReleases/Q3-2019-SKYW-Earnings-Release-FINAL.pdf

Doesnít change the fact that LGA is closing.

amcnd
11-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Doesnít change the fact that LGA is closing.

They will realize when Delta publishes May-sep 2020 skeds....Don't be alarmed with December skeds. Think Compass hiccuped and coverage is needed out west for a month or 2...

Burt123
11-02-2019, 06:57 AM
thanking SAPA for CXL RSV policy not moving flying around. requiring a lineholder to sit reserve (2hr callout) because of a schedule change does not seem industry standard.

Itís not industry standard. Industry standard would be cancelling your flying while pay protecting you first for your original award THEN either release you and mark you as available (able to now pick something else up and double dip) OR reschedule you to additional flying (not reserve) within the same footprint as the original awarded trip.

Gone Flying
11-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Itís not industry standard. Industry standard would be cancelling your flying while pay protecting you first for your original award THEN either release you and mark you as available (able to now pick something else up and double dip) OR reschedule you to additional flying (not reserve) within the same footprint as the original awarded trip.

yep. i think we get hotels to sit reserve in base on CXL RSV but im not positive ( last time i had this happen was awhile ago but i had to get my own hotel)