Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SWA Maintenance TA voted down

Thunder1
09-19-2018, 02:31 PM
AMFA | Southwest Airlines News & Updates (http://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=725841&page=Southwest20Airlines)

Things are about to get interesting around here....OVER 6 years and our mechanics STILL don't have a contract. Unbelievable -- all the while SWA has done approx. 7 BILLION $ worth of pointless, counter-productive stock buybacks during that time frame.

Not feeling the LUV -- I'll be out in uniform picketing alongside my maintainers when the time comes. Hope to see many of my fellow pilots at their pickets whenever they announce them.

Smooth at FL450
09-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Good for them. They deserve better.

terminal
09-19-2018, 05:40 PM
AMFA | Southwest Airlines News & Updates (http://www.amfanational.org/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=725841&page=Southwest20Airlines)

Things are about to get interesting around here....OVER 6 years and our mechanics STILL don't have a contract. Unbelievable -- all the while SWA has done approx. 7 BILLION $ worth of pointless, counter-productive stock buybacks during that time frame.

Not feeling the LUV -- I'll be out in uniform picketing alongside my maintainers when the time comes. Hope to see many of my fellow pilots at their pickets whenever they announce them.

What does this mean for Hawaii planning? Wasnít the ETOPS a big element in this?

I like BIG Bus
09-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Good for them. They deserve better.

Yes. Well done. Itís great to see unity and vision thwart an otherwise underwhelming deal. I hope our pilot group has the sack to do it facing a bad offer. Hope it gets better from here for them.

flensr
09-20-2018, 10:16 PM
What does this mean for Hawaii planning? Wasnít the ETOPS a big element in this?

Word from the company mgt is that ETOPS (and LAX base) are completely decoupled from the MX contract. The official stance appears to be that SWA can proceed with ETOPS and LAX under the current contract, end of discussion.

I heard nearly the exact same wording from 3 separate executives.

Thunder1
09-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Word from the company mgt is that ETOPS (and LAX base) are completely decoupled from the MX contract. The official stance appears to be that SWA can proceed with ETOPS and LAX under the current contract, end of discussion.

I heard nearly the exact same wording from 3 separate executives.

Yep, and I heard the same type of story from SWA management that SWAPA pilots had to fly the 737 MAX even though that airplane was not listed in our CBA. They chose not to press to test the issue and signed TA2 with us before the first MAX arrived on property. Just because SWA management says it is one way doesn't mean that is factually correct not to mention morally or ethically correct.

Ditka
09-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Yep, and I heard the same type of story from SWA management that SWAPA pilots had to fly the 737 MAX even though that airplane was not listed in our CBA. They chose not to press to test the issue and signed TA2 with us before the first MAX arrived on property. Just because SWA management says it is one way doesn't mean that is factually correct not to mention morally or ethically correct.

Shhh. The Max is silent.

SlipKid
09-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Yes. Well done. Itís great to see unity and vision thwart an otherwise underwhelming deal. I hope our pilot group has the sack to do it facing a bad offer. Hope it gets better from here for them.

I've been hoping for this pilot group to grow a collective sack for over 2 decades. Hasn't happened yet. :eek:

SlipKid
09-21-2018, 06:51 AM

They must've figured that since we caved on SL6 (the -800, not to mention 16 other concessionary SLs to an already concessionary contract), that the (Shhhhh!) M*x would be a shoe in. :confused:

80%+ of us agreed to, literally, PAY for the privilege of flying the -800 with SL6.

JetDoc
09-21-2018, 08:12 AM
I think part of the issue is the ETOPS service checks in the islands. AMFA want company mechanics to do them, of course and the company wants to farm them out.

at6d
09-21-2018, 08:33 AM
I was told in recurrent class by the visiting manager it was down to baggage/cargo.

Smooth at FL450
09-21-2018, 11:53 AM
I think part of the issue is the ETOPS service checks in the islands. AMFA want company mechanics to do them, of course and the company wants to farm them out.

More specifically, I believe AMFA's contract states it must be done by SWA mechanics, to which the company didn't want to pay for all the TDY expenses or pay to have a local contingent of mechanics. So in conceding that issue to the mechanics, the company responded by lowering the pay rates previously agreed upon. And the rejected TA followed soon thereafter. At least this is how I understand it...

WHACKMASTER
09-25-2018, 03:23 AM

Heard from a reliable source that the FAA does not want to allow the company to farm out ETOPS maintenance in Hawaii and thatís been a bone of contention.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1