Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

P Owed Captain
09-21-2018, 04:26 PM
If a guy with a doctorate were addressed as Mr, I kind of doubt he'd be throwing such a fit!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-slams-airline-calling-miss-instead-doctor-not-ego-174912791.html

UAL T38 Phlyer
09-21-2018, 04:34 PM
From the link:

Copping so much flack for this tweet. This was not about my ego. It was about highlighting one of a thousand instances of sexism that women encounter every day. It’s not about the title, it’s about the fact that this wouldn’t have happened if I was a man. :rolleyes:
Dr Siobhan O'Dwyer
@Siobhan_ODwyer

Hey Qantas, my name is Dr O’Dwyer. My ticket says Dr O’Dwyer. Do not look at my ticket, look at me, look back at my ticket, decide it’s a typo, and call me Miss O’Dwyer. I did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss.

You’re right...they might have called you “Sir.”

Why does this make me think of “Dr. Evil” in Austin Powers?:p

Excargodog
09-21-2018, 09:04 PM
This is as bad as that idiot Senator who chewed on the General for calling her Ma'am.

TeamSasquatch
09-21-2018, 10:57 PM
From the link:

You’re right...they might have called you “Sir.”

Why does this make me think of “Dr. Evil” in Austin Powers?:p

So true!

Maybe she’ll ask for one million dollars! Mwaaaahhhh

RhinoBallAuto
09-21-2018, 11:00 PM
This is as bad as that idiot Senator who chewed on the General for calling her Ma'am.

Barbara Boxer, the former senior senator from The Peoples' Republik of Californya

Monkeyfly
09-21-2018, 11:01 PM

I love it when true personality is revealed.

[URL="https://youtu.be/f0CprVYsG0k"]

Hetman
09-22-2018, 03:19 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/drKgOnASe1XmE/100.gif

GogglesPisano
09-22-2018, 04:54 AM
They don’t call me “Captain” when I arrive at the restaurant with a reservation. I should tweet this and get followers.

#Iearnedthesestripes

Vital Signs
09-22-2018, 05:35 AM
Refer to me as Maestro

A Squared
09-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Anyone else think it's odd that her boarding pass has "Dr" printed on it?

Regardless, unless it's relevant to the relationship between us, ie: you are actually my physician, I'm not calling you "doctor". Kinda like I don't demand that anyone call me "Captain".

badflaps
09-22-2018, 10:06 AM
The #1 pilot at DAL was listed as captain in the Miami phone book. (In the way back when there were phone books.)

Zoomie
09-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Most appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u9QprLcvg

Ray Red
09-22-2018, 08:56 PM
“But you’re not a real doctor like a chiropractor”

GogglesPisano
09-23-2018, 08:02 AM
If it were Germany she would demand to be called "Professor Doctor."

tomgoodman
09-23-2018, 08:28 AM
The #1 pilot at DAL was listed as captain in the Miami phone book. (In the way back when there were phone books.)

That’s because Miami was very casual. In ATL, he was listed as “His Airworthiness, Conqueror of the Skies, Idol of Flight Attendants and Scourge of Groundlings, the Right Honorable and Most Esteemed Captain Badflaps”. :D

BigZ
09-23-2018, 09:47 AM
That’s because Miami was very casual. In ATL, he was listed as “His Airworthiness, Conqueror of the Skies, Idol of Flight Attendants and Scourge of Groundlings, the Right Honorable and Most Esteemed Captain Badflaps”. :D
:D
Thanks for the laughs

badflaps
09-23-2018, 10:44 AM
When I was in ATL the Indians were always cutting the wires.:eek:

tomgoodman
09-23-2018, 12:27 PM
When I was in ATL the Indians were always cutting the wires.:eek:

I thought they hadn’t yet crossed the land bridge from Siberia. The culprits were probably brontosauri or some creatures of that ilk. :D

WHACKMASTER
09-24-2018, 03:38 AM
God, imagine being married to this raging c**t. Unreal....

galaxy flyer
09-24-2018, 01:07 PM

And in the airplane, he was called by his nickname, “Sir”. F/Os to him were “bubba” and F/Es were “boy”. “Hey, Bubba we’re fixing to fly to New York, get us a clearance. Boy, how about that coffee?” “Yes, Sir”

GF

BMEP100
09-24-2018, 01:24 PM
I liked Quantas' response-standing up for their employees.

We could use some of that at United.

WHACKMASTER
09-24-2018, 01:30 PM

& Delta. They seem to cower to every racial accusation, too.

hilltopflyer
09-25-2018, 12:02 PM
& Delta. They seem to cower to every racial accusation, too.

They are based in Atlanta... so if they didn’t it would get bad.

WHACKMASTER
09-25-2018, 02:35 PM
They are based in Atlanta... so if they didn’t it would get bad.

Good point :rolleyes:

ThePenguin328
09-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Every time Oscar stands up for the employee it ends up costing him dearly.....Denver gate agent and the leggings. ORD gate agent that couldn't get a volunteer so called cops to drag off Dr. NO. If employees would exercise some compassion and common sense there wouldn't be any sensational news to report.

Battlinbear21
09-26-2018, 05:09 AM

As a NH in ROA 1 capt was also in the whites pages w Captain. Guess we can add that one the million other genders people demand to be called by. He got fired.

C37AFE
09-26-2018, 03:07 PM
I’m just an FO but I identify as a Captain.

UAL T38 Phlyer
09-26-2018, 03:12 PM
..........:rolleyes:

Hetman
09-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Then there's this:

Michigan student successfully changes preferred pronoun to 'His Majesty' on class roster | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/30/michigan-student-successfully-changes-preferred-pronoun-to-his-majesty-on-class-roster.html)

Well played, your Majesty.

TransWorld
09-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Then there's this:

Michigan student successfully changes preferred pronoun to 'His Majesty' on class roster | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/30/michigan-student-successfully-changes-preferred-pronoun-to-his-majesty-on-class-roster.html)

Well played, your Majesty.

I think I will go back to school just so I can select “Grand Poobah”.

If you want the source: Grand Poobah is a term derived from the name of the haughty character Pooh-Bah in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado (1885). In this comic opera, Pooh-Bah holds numerous exalted offices, including "First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chief Justice, Commander-in-Chief, Lord High Admiral ... Archbishop ... Lord Mayor" and "Lord High Everything Else". The name has come to be used as a mocking title for someone self-important or locally high-ranking and who either exhibits an inflated self-regard or who has limited authority while taking impressive titles.

UAL T38 Phlyer
09-26-2018, 07:07 PM
Wow: Grand Pooh-bah. Learn something every day...I always thought it was the Chief of The Loyal Order of Water Buffalos on “The Flintstones!”

A Squared
09-26-2018, 08:30 PM

That doesn't mean you can use the Captain's restroom.

JohnBurke
09-26-2018, 08:44 PM
I thought they hadn’t yet crossed the land bridge from Siberia. The culprits were probably brontosauri or some creatures of that ilk. :D

God damn brontosauri, anyway. Never trust them.

Around here I'm lumped with the other "tanker trash" and lesser vermin that dare not grace the FBO with our greasy and untreasured presence. Those that greet us deign not to lower themselves by calling our name, but will occasionally allow a "hey you."

My wife manages "worm," God bless her. I love it when she does that.

Deathwish
09-26-2018, 08:50 PM

#EqualPay

tomgoodman
09-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Around here I'm lumped with the other "tanker trash" and lesser vermin that dare not grace the FBO with our greasy and untreasured presencae.

FBO esteem for tanker pilots varies with the proximity of a forest fire. ;)

TiredSoul
09-27-2018, 04:20 AM

So true.
Germany allows your title to be added to your passport.
Doctor in what?
Ah...Economics.

“I did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss.”

JHC what a snow flake.

John Carr
09-27-2018, 05:57 AM

So true.
Germany allows your title to be added to your passport.
Doctor in what?
Ah...Economics.

Der Über Professor Doctor”, just not Fraüline

Blackhawk
09-27-2018, 07:31 AM
My wife is a medical doctor who is well known and respected within her specialty. She only goes by "doctor" in professional/medical scenarios or correspondences. Otherwise, she goes by her first name or Mrs. "His Airworthiness, Conqueror of the Skies, Idol of Flight Attendants and Scourge of Groundlings, the Right Honorable and Most Esteemed Captain Badflaps”.

She actually has gotten irritated with me when I list her as a doctor when making her flight reservations.

hilltopflyer
09-27-2018, 02:48 PM
My wife is a medical doctor who is well known and respected within her specialty. She only goes by "doctor" in professional/medical scenarios or correspondences. Otherwise, she goes by her first name or Mrs. "His Airworthiness, Conqueror of the Skies, Idol of Flight Attendants and Scourge of Groundlings, the Right Honorable and Most Esteemed Captain Badflaps”.

She actually has gotten irritated with me when I list her as a doctor when making her flight reservations.

It’s cause she is an actual doctor and not a PhD. Just jealous she is t an actual doctor. Its funny that she goes off after being in school for 6 years....doctors spend so much longer then that.

A Squared
09-27-2018, 03:07 PM
It’s cause she is an actual doctor and not a PhD. Just jealous she is t an actual doctor. Its funny that she goes off after being in school for 6 years....doctors spend so much longer then that.

Mehhh, people here tend to think of "doctor" as a word that mean "someone who practices medicine" and certainly that is how it is most often used, but it actually refers to an educational level. And it has referred to an educational level long before it came to refer to a medical practitioner. The JD in a law degree stands for Juris Doctor , again, and educational level in the study of law. Saying that a PhD isn't a doctor ignores what the word actually means. Not to defend the woman in question; regardless of whether you're a medical doctor, or hold some other doctorate, if you're demanding people call you doctor outside the context of whatever you're a doctor in, then you're an insufferable twit.

vagabond
09-27-2018, 03:23 PM
I have a doctorate. A Juris Doctorate to be precise. I don't tell people that or ask them to call me doctor, particularly since lawyers are not normally or traditionally called doctors. They are called many things, but not doctor.

Prior to law school, I had a long successful career in medical research where MDs and PhDs were a dime a dozen. Many were MD/PhDs even. The MDs would sign their names followed by MD. Some PhDs would do that, but not all of them.

If the ticket asked for it, and the lady put down PhD, I would think a customer oriented agent would take the initiative to look at the ticket, note the PhD, and as a courtesy call her Dr. So and So.

Since the agent did not, the lady shouldn't have had a conniption fit over it.

If the ticket did not ask, and the lady had a conniption fit, then she needs a real MD specializing in Psychiatry or something.

As a respected judge once told me when I had too many of the same questions during cross examination, "move on Ms. vagabond, move on."

badflaps
09-27-2018, 03:58 PM
She'd be right at home in Italy.

Blackhawk
09-27-2018, 05:35 PM

Including undergraduate, medical school, internship/residency, fellowship, 14 years.

TiredSoul
09-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Qantas doesn’t kill puppies...

jDSTJD
09-27-2018, 08:00 PM
I have a doctorate. A Juris Doctorate to be precise. I don't tell people that or ask them to call me doctor, particularly since lawyers are not normally or traditionally called doctors. They are called many things, but not doctor.

Prior to law school, I had a long successful career in medical research where MDs and PhDs were a dime a dozen. Many were MD/PhDs even. The MDs would sign their names followed by MD. Some PhDs would do that, but not all of them.

If the ticket asked for it, and the lady put down PhD, I would think a customer oriented agent would take the initiative to look at the ticket, note the PhD, and as a courtesy call her Dr. So and So.

Since the agent did not, the lady shouldn't have had a conniption fit over it.

If the ticket did not ask, and the lady had a conniption fit, then she needs a real MD specializing in Psychiatry or something.

As a respected judge once told me when I had too many of the same questions during cross examination, "move on Ms. vagabond, move on."

I actually do not like it and feel very uncomfortable when people refer to me as Attorney [my name] when I am not in court or in a professional setting where it would make sense to use that title. I always feel like using the title makes people feel like I’m being pretentious or arrogant. I even get pretty upset when family members tell others I’m an attorney because I feel like I’m being used to intimidate someone. So I’m thinking maybe this lady has dealt with her accomplishments being diminished or trivialized and in this instance she just lashed out at the gate agent.

TiredSoul
09-27-2018, 10:05 PM
What about the a-holes that require people to address them as ‘Captain’ outside the flight deck or even better while they’re not even an active professional pilot.

A Squared
09-27-2018, 10:08 PM
What about the a-holes that require people to address them as ‘Captain’ outside the flight deck or even better while they’re not even an active professional pilot.

No different. Tools.

captjns
09-28-2018, 06:51 AM

I’m sure types as such enjoy eating alone with a mirror across from them so at least they can be addressed as Kaptain when talking to them selves.;)

ORDinary
09-28-2018, 08:23 AM

This. Or could you imagine if some certain Captains were in uniform buying coffee, and the clerk looked them over and said "have a great day, first officer"?

Anyway, some people get huffy over anything, not sure why it is news.

sailingfun
09-28-2018, 12:32 PM

I have been around this industry 32 years. Never met a single individual that did this.

Duckdude
09-28-2018, 12:38 PM
I have been around this industry 32 years. Never met a single individual that did this.

Nor have I, in 20 years.

badflaps
09-28-2018, 12:56 PM
When I got my 200T CG ticket they finally acquiesced.

ShyGuy
09-28-2018, 07:00 PM
As long as you're paying for the food and drinks, I'll call you whatever you want to be called.

NEDude
09-29-2018, 02:00 AM
Have you ever bought a ticket on British Airways? You have to put in a title, even if it is just Mr. or Miss. But they have an entire catalog of 19 different titles you can select. I am thinking of seeing what will happen if I select "The Right Honourable..." or "Viscount..." next time I buy a ticket on BA.

captjns
09-29-2018, 06:36 AM
Have you ever bought a ticket on British Airways? You have to put in a title, even if it is just Mr. or Miss. But they have an entire catalog of 19 different titles you can select. I am thinking of seeing what will happen if I select "The Right Honourable..." or "Viscount..." next time I buy a ticket on BA.

You’ll get upgraded, with a curtsy and a bow, to Premium Economy.;)

Baradium
09-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Mehhh, people here tend to think of "doctor" as a word that mean "someone who practices medicine" and certainly that is how it is most often used, but it actually refers to an educational level. And it has referred to an educational level long before it came to refer to a medical practitioner. The JD in a law degree stands for Juris Doctor , again, and educational level in the study of law. Saying that a PhD isn't a doctor ignores what the word actually means. Not to defend the woman in question; regardless of whether you're a medical doctor, or hold some other doctorate, if you're demanding people call you doctor outside the context of whatever you're a doctor in, then you're an insufferable twit.

Relevant to this thread

TiredSoul
09-30-2018, 08:53 PM

Sad to say I have.
Runs a flightschool in SW Florida and tool of the day every day.

sailingfun
10-02-2018, 05:13 AM
Sad to say I have.

What airline does he work for?

No Land 3
10-02-2018, 06:00 AM
Sad to say I have.

Richard? Sery? Naples Air Center?

Slaphappy
10-02-2018, 09:57 AM
If a guy with a doctorate were addressed as Mr, I kind of doubt he'd be throwing such a fit!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-slams-airline-calling-miss-instead-doctor-not-ego-174912791.html

Sounds like an entitled fragile woman.

tm602
10-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C41o5a6NeNE

TiredSoul
10-06-2018, 07:46 AM
What airline does he work for?

He doesn’t and @ No Land 3... yes :D

4runner
10-06-2018, 06:25 PM
I’ve seen a few around fbo’s with “Captain XYZ” embroidered on the back of a vinyl jacket. Mind you, this is in Florida and they’re Enroute to a Cessna with a knee board and gold sunglasses.

flensr
10-08-2018, 11:00 AM
I’ve seen a few around fbo’s with “Captain XYZ” embroidered on the back of a vinyl jacket. Mind you, this is in Florida and they’re Enroute to a Cessna with a knee board and gold sunglasses.

Flying a cessna with a knee board and gold sunglasses is lots of fun. Dressing up is part of that fun.

Maybe it's just a difference in how I look at life, but when I see that private pilot with whatever bits of flair he or she takes flying, it makes me smile because I know they're going out having fun and it usually isn't the kind of fun that hurts anyone else. Now if I see that same guy in a hangar putting down anyone else or crapping on the new guy just getting started, yea its easy to switch gears and knock them down a peg or two just because karma is a b%^%h and I hate bullies. But I personally think it's just fun seeing a pilot swagger out to his plane because he's out there having fun doing something that's really cool. Even if they're wearing something I would never wear or might consider ridiculous.

Some of us forget that, forget how we started. I'll never forget how it felt the first time I showed up at the airport without an instructor and swaggered out to that mighty cessna 150 wearing my coolest looking jacket, my gold rimmed ray-bans, and my kneeboard. It felt awesome and I didn't have to put anyone down to feel that way.

FollowMe
10-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Flying a cessna with a knee board and gold sunglasses is lots of fun. Dressing up is part of that fun.

Maybe it's just a difference in how I look at life, but when I see that private pilot with whatever bits of flair he or she takes flying, it makes me smile because I know they're going out having fun and it usually isn't the kind of fun that hurts anyone else. Now if I see that same guy in a hangar putting down anyone else or crapping on the new guy just getting started, yea its easy to switch gears and knock them down a peg or two just because karma is a b%^%h and I hate bullies. But I personally think it's just fun seeing a pilot swagger out to his plane because he's out there having fun doing something that's really cool. Even if they're wearing something I would never wear or might consider ridiculous.

Some of us forget that, forget how we started. I'll never forget how it felt the first time I showed up at the airport without an instructor and swaggered out to that mighty cessna 150 wearing my coolest looking jacket, my gold rimmed ray-bans, and my kneeboard. It felt awesome and I didn't have to put anyone down to feel that way.

This ^^^^^^

badflaps
10-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Ahhh... Who can forget, Ray-Ban's on the belt.:D

captjns
10-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Ahhh... Who can forget, Ray-Ban's on the belt.:D

Now its the mobile phone on the belt is the new Ray-Ban on one’s belt.

Ducttape
10-12-2018, 07:31 PM

I agree. It is like the YouTube videos of private pilots filming their approach into LAX. You can see how nervous and hyped they are.

Yeah, no big deal for us, but we all remember flying into a big airport the first time and how scared we were to see “real airliners” on the parallel.

badflaps
10-12-2018, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Ducttape;

Yeah, no big deal for us, but we all remember flying into a big airport the first time and how scared we were to see “real airliners” on the parallel.[/QUOTE]

Not as scared as me with a Cherokee in the 12 0'Clock.:D