Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Junior Lines & Base Assignments

Random Task
09-23-2018, 01:57 PM
The line question seems to come up a lot so I thought I'd make this little table indicating how long each base takes to hold a line (as of October 2018).
SAP = Schedule Adjustment Period, lineholders get 2 rounds of add/drop/swap opportunities, after that, the leftover trips are built into lines (if able) and given to those that did not receive a line in the initial run of bids.
Post-SAP lines are not broken down by composite vs full line, simply shows if someone got at least 1 trip after SAP.

The original base thread has also gotten way off topic and hasn't been updated in months so I thought I'd take a stab at that too.

Random Task
09-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Junior base assignments

greendotplus10
09-23-2018, 02:23 PM
It's not quite that easy once you upgrade. I've got a table of my own going to keep an eye on the trends for CA bases.

Least senior to most senior CA bases and the span of the bottom 10 DOHs...

EWR: 12/15 to 9/15
LGA: 12/15 to 6/15
PIT: 7/15 to 6/14
DCA: 4/15 to 10/14
CMH: 3/15 to 9/14
MIA: 3/15 to 3/13
PHL: 12/14 to 9/13
IND: 10/14 to 1/14
MCI: 5/14 to 3/11
IAH: 11/13 to 3/07
ORD: 11/13 to 6/07

ChopNDrop
09-23-2018, 02:59 PM
The line question seems to come up a lot so I thought I'd make this little table indicating how long each base takes to hold a line (as of October 2018).
SAP = Schedule Adjustment Period, lineholders get 2 rounds of add/drop/swap opportunities, after that, the leftover trips are built into lines (if able) and given to those that did not receive a line in the initial run of bids.
Post-SAP lines are not broken down by composite vs full line, simply shows if someone got at least 1 trip after SAP.

The original base thread has also gotten way off topic and hasn't been updated in months so I thought I'd take a stab at that too.

Clutch.. I am a new hire.. is the DC line a typo in post #1? I would think the line holder would be senior to the post SAP junior line holder. Thanks again, this is awesome

Random Task
09-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Clutch.. I am a new hire.. is the DC line a typo in post #1? I would think the line holder would be senior to the post SAP junior line holder. Thanks again, this is awesome

Ah crap, good catch. DCA junior lineholder should read 10/30/2017.

joefly
09-23-2018, 05:34 PM
So as a new hire with a class date of October 30th, I will get PHL January 2019 or May 2019? Not sure how exactly to read that chart? Or 2 months from my bid date?

Random Task
09-23-2018, 06:03 PM
So as a new hire with a class date of October 30th, I will get PHL January 2019 or May 2019? Not sure how exactly to read that chart? Or 2 months from my bid date?

The January '19 bids closed on September 5th. On October 5th the February '19 bids will close.

As a new hire, you will bid for a base in indoc, looking at the chart you can see the latest info we have (per the September 4th class) new hires got MCI, IND, PIT, CMH, and EWR.

If you don't get your initial bid in indoc (PHL in your case), you will have to bid in the system wide vacancy with everyone else. For you, if you didn't get PHL initially you could bid in the Nov 5th vacancy, which would be effective March 1, 2019. Does that make more sense?

So for the current junior PHL person:
They were hired on 7/10/2018, presumably bid for PHL and did not get it. They would bid in the August 5 vacancy, effective December 1, but they were denied that too. For the September 5 vacancy, this individual was finally awarded PHL. However they will not move bases until January 1 (4 months after the award).

Tigflt17
09-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Newbie question. Why does EWR get new hires when the junior line holder is almost a year and post SAP is 9 months?? High reserve usage?? Just curious I was assigned this base and trying to sit reserve the least as I commute

Random Task
09-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Newbie question. Why does EWR get new hires when the junior line holder is almost a year and post SAP is 9 months?? High reserve usage?? Just curious I was assigned this base and trying to sit reserve the least as I commute

The September vacancy had an unusual amount of FO vacancies posted (over 100), no doubt because of the large number of people in training. There were vacancies posted for (I think) every base, EWR trumped every other base with 35 vacancies posted. The awards didn't fill anywhere near 35 spots in EWR so they filled the rest of those vacancies with new hires.

joefly
09-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Makes perfect sense now...thanks so much!

SoFloFlyer
09-23-2018, 08:06 PM
SUperbusedil thread!! Thanks!!

AND MIA isnít that on either side of the coin! Hopefully it stays that way!

DiveAndDrive
09-24-2018, 04:28 AM
Thanks for posting. Newbie question for me as well. Actually... three newbie questions.

If you get awarded a new base assignment in FLiCA, will it tell you when the assignment is effective? I know itís 4 months, but I canít math. :p

Question two: I live 3-3.5 hours driving time from ORD, so thatís definitely my preferred base. I know reserve call out is 2 hours, so Iíd need a crashpad in ORD. Iíd imagine that is expensive. Would you recommend bidding CMH for a few months in an attempt to get a line and then bid ORD when I can get at least a post SAP line?

Question three: I have access to FLiCA. How do you see this information?

Random Task
09-24-2018, 06:42 AM
Thanks for posting. Newbie question for me as well. Actually... three newbie questions.

If you get awarded a new base assignment in FLiCA, will it tell you when the assignment is effective? I know itís 4 months, but I canít math. :p

Question two: I live 3-3.5 hours driving time from ORD, so thatís definitely my preferred base. I know reserve call out is 2 hours, so Iíd need a crashpad in ORD. Iíd imagine that is expensive. Would you recommend bidding CMH for a few months in an attempt to get a line and then bid ORD when I can get at least a post SAP line?

Question three: I have access to FLiCA. How do you see this information?

1) In Comply the company will put out a (Month) FO/CA Vacancy document, on the 5th of the month the bids close. A few days later they company will post a new doc in Comply (Flight Ops->Memos->Crew Planning) called (Month) FO/CA Vacancy Awards. There you can see if your bid was awarded but there will also be a note in the doc telling you "these bids are effective _______ "
It's around this time that the vacancies get posted so expect to see the "February 2019 FO Vacancies" doc go up in the next few days in Comply.

2) Really depends on you. Can you drive to CMH? I'm not sure what the crashpad/transportation situation in CMH is.

3) A little bit of digging. Under the bidding Oct 2018 folder you can look at FO final awards and see the last person who got a line. Cross reference with the seniority list.

DiveAndDrive
09-24-2018, 07:24 AM
Thank you! Follow up question. Since (as of now) a vacancy notice for Feb hasn't been posted, is that why I'm getting no award in the "what if" bid? Or is it because I won't be able to hold ORD in Feb?

Random Task
09-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Thank you! Follow up question. Since (as of now) a vacancy notice for Feb hasn't been posted, is that why I'm getting no award in the "what if" bid? Or is it because I won't be able to hold ORD in Feb?

The base bidding was only just recently moved into rpa flica so I'm not sure where the "what if" scenario pulls its info from. You could try putting in every base FO in your bid and run the what if and see if it still says you wouldn't get anything?

Random Task
09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
34 Captain vacancies have been posted for the February 2019 bid. This bid will close on October 5th.

Additionally, 70 FO vacancies have been posted, also closing October 5th. The only base not listed is ORD.

Vacancy awards will be posted a few days after the bid closes.

SunnyFL
09-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Could someone break down the chart for me? I've read through and still am not really comprehending how it works at RPA. About 6 months out and hoping for a DCA base. I know a lot can happen between now and then but I am just trying to understand as much as I can.

Thanks

TurbineSuburban
09-26-2018, 06:51 PM
34 Captain vacancies have been posted for the February 2019 bid. This bid will close on October 5th.

Additionally, 70 FO vacancies have been posted, also closing October 5th. The only base not listed is ORD.

Vacancy awards will be posted a few days after the bid closes.

Whatís the deal with ORD? Is it quickly becoming more senior than the rest of the bases?

TheWeatherman
09-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Whatís the deal with ORD? Is it quickly becoming more senior than the rest of the bases?
Nothing. Probably just don't anticipate any FO upgrading out of there that month.

metalfeather
09-26-2018, 07:11 PM
Could someone break down the chart for me? I've read through and still am not really comprehending how it works at RPA. About 6 months out and hoping for a DCA base. I know a lot can happen between now and then but I am just trying to understand as much as I can.

Thanks

The jr base assignments image shows the most junior pilot awarded DCA with a hire date of 6/12/2018. 3 months on property to get DCA, but likely reserve.

The jr lineholders image shows a pilot hired in 10/2018 could hold a line in DCA. Someone hired in 12/2018 couldn't hold a line but used the schedule adjustment period (SAP) to get a line.

The most jr captain in DCA was hired in 4/15, so a new hire wanting to upgrade in that base may wait 3 years 5 months. I expect this would be reserve, but the jr captain post doesn't specify lineholder vs reserve.

Summary:
3 months to get DCA reserve
6-8 months reserve until holding a line
2.5 years later become a captain

YMMV, this is a historical snapshot and won't accurately predict the future.

SunnyFL
09-26-2018, 08:44 PM
The jr base assignments image shows the most junior pilot awarded DCA with a hire date of 6/12/2018. 3 months on property to get DCA, but likely reserve.

The jr lineholders image shows a pilot hired in 10/2018 could hold a line in DCA. Someone hired in 12/2018 couldn't hold a line but used the schedule adjustment period (SAP) to get a line.

The most jr captain in DCA was hired in 4/15, so a new hire wanting to upgrade in that base may wait 3 years 5 months. I expect this would be reserve, but the jr captain post doesn't specify lineholder vs reserve.

Summary:
3 months to get DCA reserve
6-8 months reserve until holding a line
2.5 years later become a captain

YMMV, this is a historical snapshot and won't accurately predict the future.

So based on the training timeline its a possibility you could have DCA when you finish all the training?

Thank you for the break down! I appreciate it! I know it must get old having to explain this stuff...

Random Task
09-27-2018, 12:27 AM
So based on the training timeline its a possibility you could have DCA when you finish all the training?

Thank you for the break down! I appreciate it! I know it must get old having to explain this stuff...

Unlikely unless you are awarded DCA in your initial bid in indoc. This hasn't happened since the 10/30/2017 class. Not to say it wont happen in the future, just unlikely.

What's more likely is you will get assigned one of the bases that are listed with "New Hire" in the snapshots, and will then have the opportunity to bid in the system wide vacancies (along with 2300 other pilots) for whatever base it is you want. Once you get awarded your base, the effective month is 4 months later. For example, the other day they posted the vacancies effective January 31, 2019. These bids close on October 5th. If you were to be awarded DCA in this vacancy, you would stay in your current base until January 30, 2019. On the following day, January 31, you would become a DCA pilot.
Does that make it a little more clear?

TheWeatherman
09-27-2018, 05:16 AM
Unlikely unless you are awarded DCA in your initial bid in indoc. This hasn't happened since the 10/30/2017 class. Not to say it wont happen in the future, just unlikely.

What's more likely is you will get assigned one of the bases that are listed with "New Hire" in the snapshots, and will then have the opportunity to bid in the system wide vacancies (along with 2300 other pilots) for whatever base it is you want. Once you get awarded your base, the effective month is 4 months later. For example, the other day they posted the vacancies effective January 31, 2019. These bids close on October 5th. If you were to be awarded DCA in this vacancy, you would stay in your current base until January 30, 2019. On the following day, January 31, you would become a DCA pilot.
This is all true, but you can also email Crewsupport and let them know that you are willing to transfer early if the opportunity arises. I was in the same situation, but was able to get to my base 2 months earlier then the award because there was somebody wanting to swap out and was willing to do that early too.

SunnyFL
09-27-2018, 09:04 AM

That does make it more clear! Thank you very much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it! Look forward to joining the RPA team here soon!

Random Task
09-27-2018, 10:07 AM
This is all true, but you can also email Crewsupport and let them know that you are willing to transfer early if the opportunity arises. I was in the same situation, but was able to get to my base 2 months earlier then the award because there was somebody wanting to swap out and was willing to do that early too.

Of course that's an option once you get your base awarded. I'm trying to keep the 'what if' questions simple enough for the new & prospective hires asking them.

pilot2804
09-28-2018, 09:43 AM
So EWR reserve is about a year if Iím right? Why is it so long if the vacency is so high?

Random Task
09-28-2018, 12:57 PM
The September vacancy had an unusual amount of FO vacancies posted (over 100), no doubt because of the large number of people in training. There were vacancies posted for (I think) every base, EWR trumped every other base with 35 vacancies posted. The awards didn't fill anywhere near 35 spots in EWR so they filled the rest of those vacancies with new hires.

October (Feb '19) vacancies have the same deal. They didn't fill all the EWR vacancies, plus posted a total of 70 vacancies presumably for the ~200 people in training right now. Maybe EWR lines will come down, maybe they won't. Just my theory.

Tigflt17
09-30-2018, 09:58 PM
October (Feb '19) vacancies have the same deal. They didn't fill all the EWR vacancies, plus posted a total of 70 vacancies presumably for the ~200 people in training right now. Maybe EWR lines will come down, maybe they won't. Just my theory.

With LGA being nearby, virtually the same commute, would it be smarter to bid for LGA due to getting a line sooner? Trying to figure out what the best decision is. Commuter not wanting to sit on reserve forever.

glassnpowder98
10-01-2018, 05:35 AM
With LGA being nearby, virtually the same commute, would it be smarter to bid for LGA due to getting a line sooner? Trying to figure out what the best decision is. Commuter not wanting to sit on reserve forever.

Yes. Most of the new hires in LGA recently have been on reserve for a month or less. This might increase slightly with the slower (less flying) winter months.

MrFriendly7
10-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Im hoping to get LGA. Hope it works out.

jettdaddy72
10-10-2018, 03:43 AM
Greetings,

I start class DEC 11th, 2018. After a few days of paperwork, go home for 4-6 weeks. Assuming class/sims/IOE takes about 3 months would it be difficult to get ORD as my first choice? I live in KY and they're a lot of direct flights everyday to ORD for the commute. Also, if granted ORD out the gate how long would I sit reserve before picking up a line?

mfflyer
10-10-2018, 06:13 AM
Greetings,

I start class DEC 11th, 2018. After a few days of paperwork, go home for 4-6 weeks. Assuming class/sims/IOE takes about 3 months would it be difficult to get ORD as my first choice? I live in KY and they're a lot of direct flights every day to ORD for the commute. Also, if granted ORD out the gate how long would I sit reserve before picking up a line?

Welcome aboard!, the search feature is a good tool for questions like these (usually a bunch of people have already asked and answered them). I think right now its about 6 months give or take from Indoc to ORD. The initial assignments recently have been LGA,EWR, IND, CMH but we've all been told we would really be able to be where we wanted by the end of OE or a few months after (except IAH and MIA)

Random Task
10-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Greetings,

I start class DEC 11th, 2018. After a few days of paperwork, go home for 4-6 weeks. Assuming class/sims/IOE takes about 3 months would it be difficult to get ORD as my first choice? I live in KY and they're a lot of direct flights everyday to ORD for the commute. Also, if granted ORD out the gate how long would I sit reserve before picking up a line?

I will update the thread tomorrow, but as far as ORD goes:
Per the October Vacancy Awards (keep in mind these go into effect on January 31st. Read the beginning of the thread if you don't know what I mean), a 7/24/2018 hire is the junior individual awarded ORD. So they had to wait a little over 2 months to get the awards, and it will be a little over 6 months from DOH when they are actually moved to ORD.

Right now we only have data through the 9/5 class. No word yet on the 9/18 or 10/2 classes.

TheWeatherman
10-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Greetings,

Yes, it is possible. ORD had one of the lowest reserve times for FOs. As a matter of fact, for most of the summer there were zero FOs on reserve. Not sure how that will evolve, you are still a long ways out and they way it is now won't be the way it is then.

pilot2804
10-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Right now we only have data through the 9/5 class. No word yet on the 9/18 or 10/2 classes.

Buddy said 14 EWR, 13 CMH, 5 PIT for 10/2

TurbineSuburban
10-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Buddy said 14 EWR, 13 CMH, 5 PIT for 10/2

Anyone know what went to the most junior person in class and the age range? I would assume that with most people being young, a month or two of age difference can be a big deal as many are 22-25 years old.

Tigflt17
10-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Anyone know what went to the most junior person in class and the age range? I would assume that with most people being young, a month or two of age difference can be a big deal as many are 22-25 years old.

Not so fast on the age. It varies per class. My class had almost 60% above 30 years old. And you can never predict how bases are assigned as you never know what the ďseniorĒ guys want.

jettdaddy72
10-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the response guys. Very helpful. I'm hopeful that the logjam at the SIMs will clear up by January 2019.

dera
10-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Very helpful. I'm hopeful that the logjam at the SIMs will clear up by January 2019.

They told January classes won't see a plane before summer. So not likely.

Random Task
10-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Here's the October awards and bidders, with data through the 10/2/2018 class.

Longhornmaniac8
10-12-2018, 04:20 PM

This is great info, thanks so much! Would it be possible to update the Post-SAP lineholder and junior lineholder info, as well?

Cheers!

Longhornmaniac8
10-12-2018, 04:36 PM

To add on to this, based on my understanding:

-Current time to award is at or below 6 months on the FO side at all domiciles, and all but IAH and MIA are under 3 months. This means that for most, if this trend were to continue, you will have been awarded your choice of base by the time you're finished with IOE, and depending on training delays and which base you desire, could possibly have your desired base by the end of IOE.

-New hires were awarded CMH, EWR, IND, and PIT in the 10/2 class. I don't recall seeing any IND mentioned upthread. What's the story there?

-If you add LGA and MCI to the new hire list (both of which were given to new hires in the 9/18 class), fully half of the YX domiciles have been available to new hires in the last two classes. Having lots of options will help keep people happy.

Tigflt17
10-12-2018, 05:19 PM
This is great info, thanks so much! Would it be possible to update the Post-SAP lineholder and junior lineholder info, as well?

Cheers!

Thereís nothing to update on that. First post is for October. Randomís post is because our vacancy bid just closed. Wonít be another update until towards the end of the month when we bid on schedules.

TheWeatherman
10-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Cheers!
Doesn't change after SAP. The only thing that may happen is you may be awarded a composite line (mixed reserve and awarded trips).

pilot2804
10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
So the last pairing given in the "view all awards" means that's the last person awarded a line? Obviously not official this month yet, but just wanted to make sure

BravoBravo
10-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Hi everybody! Since training backed up, what's the current RSV time? (junior bases)
THX

Tigflt17
10-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Hi everybody! Since training backed up, what's the current RSV time? (junior bases)
THX

Itís on the thread. Look thru previous pages. Varies by base. Date of hire to junior lineholder, then take out 4 months training time.

TheWeatherman
10-17-2018, 11:16 AM
THX

We won't know until the influx of trainees hit the bases after IOE. Ask again in April.

Longhornmaniac8
10-20-2018, 07:45 AM
What did the 10/15 class look like?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

direct2entent
10-20-2018, 09:25 AM
What did the 10/15 class look like?

We have not gotten our assignments yet. Were told to expect them within 10 days ish.

Tigflt17
10-20-2018, 09:45 AM
We have not gotten our assignments yet. Were told to expect them within 10 days ish.

Most likely after our vacancy and awards post

acam
10-22-2018, 03:05 AM
How much do first-year FO's normally fly?

TheWeatherman
10-22-2018, 05:06 AM
How much do first-year FO's normally fly?
Had just under 700 hours logged in the E170 by my anniversary date. That year included initial training, IOE, and 3 months of reserve.

direct2entent
10-23-2018, 08:57 AM
10/15 class
2 MCI
12 PIT
20 EWR

Longhornmaniac8
10-23-2018, 10:17 AM
10/15 class
2 MCI
12 PIT
20 EWR

Thanks for the info!

Longhornmaniac8
10-24-2018, 03:04 PM
When does the November vacancy period open? Is that something that I'll be able to see and/or participate in as a 10/30 hire?

Could someone explain a bit about how the standing vacancy system works?

And how is it processed? Obviously by DOH, but is it structured such that I would be able, as a new hire, to see who has bid into what vacancy up to that point to know where I would and wouldn't be able to hold? Or is it all basically blind?

Since I'm less than a week away from Indoc, I'm trying to plan as well as possible to maximize my chances for getting a base I'm happy enough with until I can hold IAH. ORD is probably tops for me simply due to accessibility, followed by IND and MCI.

Tigflt17
10-24-2018, 03:21 PM
When does the November vacancy period open? Is that something that I'll be able to see and/or participate in as a 10/30 hire?

And how is it processed? Obviously by DOH, but is it structured such that I would be able, as a new hire, to see who has bid into what vacancy up to that point to know where I would and wouldn't be able to hold? Or is it all basically blind?

Since I'm less than a week away from Indoc, I'm trying to plan as well as possible to maximize my chances for getting a base I'm happy enough with until I can hold IAH. ORD is probably tops for me simply due to accessibility, followed by IND and MCI.

-It came out today and open until 11/30. No you cannot (read below) as your class will get what’s left but usually one of the new hire bases.

-Company decides what bases needs what, then pilots update their standing bid. Awarded by DOH. Use the last bid information from this thread to see how long each base takes to get. IAH is about 5-6 months to get awarded it. You do not get Flica information until roughly two weeks later so you will not be able to participate in this one.

-Company did not post ORD openings for the second straight month, so only filled based if others either left company, upgraded, or switched bases. Last month I believe two got these back filled spots. IND and MCI you can get immediately. Again, one of the new hire bases you can plan on

Longhornmaniac8
10-24-2018, 03:29 PM
-It came out today and open until 11/30. No you cannot (read below) as your class will get whatís left but usually one of the new hire bases.

-Company decides what bases needs what, then pilots update their standing bid. Awarded by DOH. Use the last bid information from this thread to see how long each base takes to get. IAH is about 5-6 months to get awarded it. You do not get Flica information until roughly two weeks later so you will not be able to participate in this one.

-Company did not post ORD openings for the second straight month, so only filled based if others either left company, upgraded, or switched bases. Last month I believe two got these back filled spots. IND and MCI you can get immediately. Again, one of the new hire bases you can plan on

Awesome, so I'll plan on bidding whatever during indoc, and then using the December vacancy bid to go after something else if I can't get what I want as a new hire. Based on the training delay and the time training takes, I should be finishing up with IOE right around the time that the December bid goes into effect.

Thanks for the run-down! I hope I get to pay all the knowledge I've gotten here forward before too long.

Web265
10-24-2018, 03:35 PM

It really depends on a lot of variables. When I went in to indoc (May) we did the whole thing without the break. We bid for our first bases and were told we were going into either PIT, IND or LGA I think. So we bid those in the order we wanted them then added the rest in order.

Later, while still in class, a system bid came up for November and we bid with the entire FO group, seniority was deciding factor for base.

You can get a sense once you see the vacancies and you know your seniority but you have no way of knowing who above you is bidding what. I was senior in my class but didn't get my base as a vacancy award, I got it as a backfill from someone who left the base I wanted on that vacancy.

You also can put all the bases in order of desirability so you don't have an all or nothing bid, meaning, your bid can always be for IAH, then ORD as #2, IND as #3 etc.

I realize this creates anxiety at some level but, you have to understand you don't have a lot of control over your first base, we had a choice of three, you may get what you want or close to it on your first or second vacancy bid. You may have a better chance because you will have the benefit of extra time between your hire date and first base. There's too many variables to be sure.

The instructors will give you a lot of intel on commutability etc

Looks like the jr FO in IAH this month is a 02/06/18 hire

Guess I took too long to answer LOL...

Longhornmaniac8
10-24-2018, 03:50 PM
It really depends on a lot of variables. When I went in to indoc (May) we did the whole thing without the break. We bid for our first bases and were told we were going into either PIT, IND or LGA I think. So we bid those in the order we wanted them then added the rest in order.

Later, while still in class, a system bid came up for November and we bid with the entire FO group, seniority was deciding factor for base.

You can get a sense once you see the vacancies and you know your seniority but you have no way of knowing who above you is bidding what. I was senior in my class but didn't get my base as a vacancy award, I got it as a backfill from someone who left the base I wanted on that vacancy.

You also can put all the bases in order of desirability so you don't have an all or nothing bid, meaning, your bid can always be for IAH, then ORD as #2, IND as #3 etc.

I realize this creates anxiety at some level but, you have to understand you don't have a lot of control over your first base, we had a choice of three, you may get what you want or close to it on your first or second vacancy bid. You may have a better chance because you will have the benefit of extra time between your hire date and first base. There's too many variables to be sure.

I appreciate you responding anyway! It's a slightly different perspective, and I think you make a lot of good points.

Cheers!

TurbineSuburban
10-24-2018, 05:49 PM

Have a question about picking up while on reserve. Letís say a pilot is on reserve in MCI, and isnít used. On their days off, can they pick up trips out of say IAH that are in open time? Or is trip pickup only available within the assigned domicile?

Someone would have no life, but seems like you could make decent money not being used on reserve days, as indicated on other threads, and picking up trips from other pilots.

Web265
10-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Have a question about picking up while on reserve. Letís say a pilot is on reserve in MCI, and isnít used. On their days off, can they pick up trips out of say IAH that are in open time? Or is trip pickup only available within the assigned domicile?

You can pick up out of your base, so I'm told, haven't done it. However, there are other issues to consider; 117, can't work more than 6 in a row (including your reserve days), Rest period before the start of a reserve sequence, etc.

V1Rot8t
10-26-2018, 09:35 AM
It's not quite that easy once you upgrade. I've got a table of my own going to keep an eye on the trends for CA bases.

Any update this month with the CA trends for bases?

greendotplus10
10-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Any update this month with the CA trends for bases?

Here are the changes for captains. In another week or so I'll be able to compile November data. Again, this is the span of the bottom 10 dates of hire in each domicile, and the changes from last month's...

EWR: 1/16 to 11/15 (1 to 2 months more junior)
LGA: 1/16 to 6/15 (1 month more junior)
PIT: 10/15 to 7/14 (3 months more junior)
DCA: 4/15 to 7/14 (3 months more senior on top end)
CMH: 7/15 to 1/15 (4 months more junior)
MIA: 3/15 to 2/13 (1 month more senior on top end)
PHL: 10/15 to 2/13 (10 months more junior and 7 months more senior on top end)
IND: 10/14 to 11/13 (2 months more senior on top end)
MCI: 8/14 to 9/12 (3 to 6 months more junior)
IAH: 1/14 to 2/07 (2 months more junior and 1 month more senior on top end)
ORD: 1/13 to 5/07 (10 to 11 months more senior)

blindfayth
10-29-2018, 06:22 PM
How often do you guys get to bid for a change of base?

TheWeatherman
10-29-2018, 06:39 PM
How often do you guys get to bid for a change of base?
The base bid processes every month, so you can bid every month if you so choose. Keep in mind you are bidding for a base change 4 months ahead, so it takes some planning. For example, the November base change bid will be for base assignments starting in March 19. So if you get awarded your base with the November bid, you will be at your current base until March 2019 when you will bid in your new base.

It lets you have standing bids in, so if you want to move to a different base it will bid for you every month until a space opens up.

Gravity88x
11-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Happy thanksgiving everyone. For prospective new hires wondering about reserve times. The following is junior line holders for December

CMH-5/30/18
DCA-1/23/18
EWR-1/4/18
IAH-6/20/17
IND-5/30/18
LGA-5/15/18
MCI-4/17/18
MIA-6/20/17
ORD-1/23/18
PHL-2/20/18
PIT-5/1/18

Now for composite lines (part reserve, part line usually with Military days off or single days off)

CMH-5/30/18
DCA-5/1/18 most junior 6/25/18 MIL guy
EWR-2/20/18
IAH-10/30/17 MIL
IND-7/10/18 MIL
LGA-6/12/18 with single days off 8/21/18 most junior
MCI- 5/30/18
MIA-8/22/17
ORD-3/20/18
PHL- 3/20/18 MIL
PIT-6/25/18

planesense
12-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Ok, just read this whole thread... I'm starting indoc next Tuesday (12/11), and if I'm understanding correctly, I should probably abandon the idea that I might get assigned to ORD...? Training will be delayed until March it sounds like, so maybe during that time I can get it. If not, I guess I need to be looking at IND or PIT. Probably have to go with PIT, because I need commutability from BNA.

DiamondDriver
12-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Ok, just read this whole thread... I'm starting indoc next Tuesday (12/11), and if I'm understanding correctly, I should probably abandon the idea that I might get assigned to ORD...? Training will be delayed until March it sounds like, so maybe during that time I can get it. If not, I guess I need to be looking at IND or PIT. Probably have to go with PIT, because I need commutability from BNA.

You could also consider an NY base if youíre thinking strictly for single leg commutability. PIT would be good but the only option are the 2 Southwest flights offered per day (at least during the week). Youíll already be commuting time zones if you do PIT. By doing EWR or LGA youíll have way more commuting options. Both DL and AA to LGA....SW and United to EWR.

planesense
12-06-2018, 03:12 PM
You could also consider an NY base if youíre thinking strictly for single leg commutability. PIT would be good but the only option are the 2 Southwest flights offered per day (at least during the week). Youíll already be commuting time zones if you do PIT. By doing EWR or LGA youíll have way more commuting options. Both DL and AA to LGA....SW and United to EWR.
Thanks for the input, for some reason I thought there were more flights to PIT.

JayD
12-07-2018, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the input, for some reason I thought there were more flights to PIT.

Download the FlightView app, turn off codeshares in settings and search by route. Very easy way to see how many flights are available between two airports.

05Duramax
12-07-2018, 09:57 AM

Check if FedEx has any flights between BNA and PIT, IND can be quite commutable with FedEx hub there from what I here.

TangoIndiaMike1
12-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Congrats on upgrade award time being down to two years. 11/29/16 junior Captain Award here date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greendotplus10
12-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Congrats on upgrade award time being down to two years. 11/29/16 junior Captain Award here date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's correct, if you're measuring it from DOH to when you become aware of your upgrade award.

I think most people would like to measure upgrade time using the date that you will begin flying as captain and earning captain pay, and that occurs roughly 4 months later. i.e. the base listed on the 12/9/18 captain award is effective 4/1/19, and training will begin in March. I'm not sure what kind of delays there are in upgrade training, if any. I know upgrades have been getting simulator time priority over new hires, which is part of what has been contributing to a several month wait for new hires to get a class date.

Still, that would make it about a 2 year, 4 month upgrade time, which is an improvement from last month's bid.

planesense
12-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Ok, so base bidding is tomorrow (Iím commuting from BNA)... Iíve changed my thinking a bit, someone please straighten me out if need be. I want several available flights daily for the commute, which takes out MCI, IND, CMH, and PIT. Next priority is wait/reserve time, which eliminates MIA, IAH, DCA, PHL, ORD, EWR. Which leaves me with LGA. A million flights a day, can get the base right out of training, and maybe no reserve time at all. Iíve heard tons of people say how much LGA sucks... with this logic, why shouldnít I put LGA at the top of my list and then bid something else later?

greendotplus10
12-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Ok, so base bidding is tomorrow (Iím commuting from BNA)... Iíve changed my thinking a bit, someone please straighten me out if need be. I want several available flights daily for the commute, which takes out MCI, IND, CMH, and PIT. Next priority is wait/reserve time, which eliminates MIA, IAH, DCA, PHL, ORD, EWR. Which leaves me with LGA. A million flights a day, can get the base right out of training, and maybe no reserve time at all. Iíve heard tons of people say how much LGA sucks... with this logic, why shouldnít I put LGA at the top of my list and then bid something else later?

How much it sucks depends on your perspective. I imagine that folks who live nearby and drive to work have much less to complain about than those trying to catch commutes on packed flights all the time. Commuting is where most of the aggravation comes from. But, you and a lot of us must still do it.

LGA is currently the base to choose to hold a line as quickly as possible, but, I'm not sure how commutable the trips are. Meaning, you might have to use days off before and after work days to commute in and out, whether it be due to an early report time, or to get you enough rest to fly the whole first day.

glassnpowder98
12-11-2018, 07:46 PM

LGA now has Shake Shack. So when your go home day gets blown up with EDCTs you can eat your way to happiness. But in reality your line of reasoning is pretty good- youíll be commuting no matter what, so pick a base with a lot of flight options and where you can gain seniority quickly so you obtain the ability to better bid your schedule for commutability and days off. See you in LGA and Iíll buy you a beer if you donít try to kill me.

MrFriendly7
12-12-2018, 11:56 AM
New hires 11/27 base assignments
Class of 32

9 EWR
9 LGA
8 IND
4 CMH
2 PIT

Geardownflaps30
12-14-2018, 11:31 AM
LGA now has new hire pilots sitting at least 2 months on reserve. Expect an update once Jan lines become official.

IFlyThings
12-19-2018, 11:25 AM
As a piece of data, almost 30% of IND FOs will be sitting reserve in January. Paradoxically, it looks like reserve times at junior bases are increasing due to a surplus of pilots, instead of a shortage of them. Should even out as the training pipeline dries up for a couple of months, and YMMV at other bases.

greendotplus10
12-20-2018, 01:46 PM
As a piece of data, almost 30% of IND FOs will be sitting reserve in January. Paradoxically, it looks like reserve times at junior bases are increasing due to a surplus of pilots, instead of a shortage of them. Should even out as the training pipeline dries up for a couple of months, and YMMV at other bases.

I concur, it looks like that's the case in all bases. In the initial award nearly half of IAH FOs are on reserve next month.

planesense
12-22-2018, 06:39 AM
LGA now has Shake Shack. So when your go home day gets blown up with EDCTs you can eat your way to happiness. But in reality your line of reasoning is pretty good- youíll be commuting no matter what, so pick a base with a lot of flight options and where you can gain seniority quickly so you obtain the ability to better bid your schedule for commutability and days off. See you in LGA and Iíll buy you a beer if you donít try to kill me.

Lol so I guess youíre a check airman? Iíll take you up on that beer, because I donít plan on dying!

planesense
12-22-2018, 06:43 AM
Lga - 8
ind - 7
ewr - 6
pit - 4
cmh - 2

direct2entent
12-22-2018, 09:41 PM
I concur, it looks like that's the case in all bases. In the initial award nearly half of IAH FOs are on reserve next month.

Might the reserve increase especially at IND be a seasonal thing too?

TheWeatherman
12-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Might the reserve increase especially at IND be a seasonal thing too?
Every base has more reserves during the winter as flying is reduced across the board.

ChopNDrop
12-28-2018, 02:05 AM
I know that flying isn't as plentiful in the winter as it is in the summer, and we are fat on FOs right now. That being said, anyone have a guess as to why PIT has 20 vacancies this go around? Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but it had way more vacancies than any other base did.

Captain Slow
12-28-2018, 06:09 AM
Vacancies in base isn't a bad sign. Losing pilots every month with no vacancies is a bad sign.

My guess is a bunch of newhires got put into PIT and they all moved out when they got enough seniority to do so. Happens periodically.

TheWeatherman
12-28-2018, 06:56 AM
I know that flying isn't as plentiful in the winter as it is in the summer, and we are fat on FOs right now. That being said, anyone have a guess as to why PIT has 20 vacancies this go around? Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but it had way more vacancies than any other base did.
If you are looking at vacancies as each bases's need for FOs then you are looking at it wrong. Sure, that is usually the case for places like ORD, PHL, IAH and MIA. But for the outstations it is more like we got this many FOs anticipated to come out of training, where the heck can we put them?

glassnpowder98
12-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Lol so I guess youíre a check airman? Iíll take you up on that beer, because I donít plan on dying!

No, but Iím junior enough to get the pleasure to fly with everyone fresh off IOE. Like a babysitter for a kid that can shovel food in its own mouth and not poop themselves most of the time.

Viking6
12-29-2018, 04:45 AM
No, but Iím junior enough to get the pleasure to fly with everyone fresh off IOE. Like a babysitter for a kid that can shovel food in its own mouth and not poop themselves most of the time.

Thatís just part of the job description, but I think the current new hires shouldnít scare you as much. Theyíve been very selective the last 6 or so months, and it shows in the new hire training performance.

Viking6
12-29-2018, 04:52 AM

Planning has to make spots to put all the new hires. Weíre overstaffed on the FO side, so they are just trying to balance the bases. Theyíre in the dark about what the long term plans are (additional airframes), so theyíre just reacting to the increase in pilot supply.

ChopNDrop
12-29-2018, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=Viking6;2733145]Planning has to make spots to put all the new hires. We’re overstaffed on the FO side, so they are just trying to balance the bases. They’re in the dark about what the long term plans are (additional airframes), so they’re just reacting to the increase in pilot supply.[/QUOTE

Sounds good. With the latest junior lines this month, PIT is attractive but only if there was something to the 20+ vacancies. Currently I am IND based and PIT's junior line holder is only one class ahead so I guess it isn't worth the hassle... Especially since I would be commuting (ATL) to either one.

IDrive175
02-03-2019, 09:20 AM
So the latest new hire class just had 25 (out of 36) FO's assigned to PIT. Given that, plus the fact that the only vacancies posted for June are at PIT, is it reasonable to think that someone from a 2018 training class might want to bid PIT in order to hold a line sooner?

Random Task
02-03-2019, 09:51 AM
So the latest new hire class just had 25 (out of 36) FO's assigned to PIT. Given that, plus the fact that the only vacancies posted for June are at PIT, is it reasonable to think that someone from a 2018 training class might want to bid PIT in order to hold a line sooner?

Consider the fact that the latest training class wont be flying until June, you'd still be at the bottom for a while. LGA is pretty consistently the most junior base to hold a line. I don't see why that would change.

Longhornmaniac8
02-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Well, with the new vacancy award, IAH is now the most senior base on the FO side by almost 100 numbers. 10 new backfill awards into MIA, compared to only 3 into IAH.

Good news for everyone wanting MIA! It's junior award is only about 250 spots above the most junior new hire right now.

daytonav8r
02-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Any idea how likely a new hire would be to get CMH if he really wanted it?

pilotnicco
02-09-2019, 07:49 AM

I believe it's still pretty JR. By the time you do your IOE you should be able to hold CMH if not sooner.

daytonav8r
02-09-2019, 07:57 AM
I believe it's still pretty JR. By the time you do your IOE you should be able to hold CMH is not sooner.

Good to know. Thanks for the information! I'm in the 4/30 class, and I live an hour from CMH. If I'm not mistaken it's the second largest base in the system, so I'd think it somewhat attainable for a junior FO.

05Duramax
02-09-2019, 08:52 AM

In the last new hire class 7 guys were assigned CMH as their initial base.

fortyeight
02-09-2019, 12:00 PM

ORD is such a joke at this company.

greendotplus10
02-09-2019, 12:57 PM
ORD is such a joke at this company.

It is, and ORD CAs hired after 2007 are outliers. I didnít have all the information when I made that post. 2004 hires are on reserve, forcing some to leave or move to other bases. Some 40+ captain vacancies would need to happen in order to make ORD as junior as LGA. ORD used to be a much larger base than it is now, creating this problem.

fortyeight
02-09-2019, 01:21 PM
It is, and ORD CAs hired after 2007 are outliers. I didnít have all the information when I made that post. 2004 hires are on reserve, forcing some to leave or move to other bases. Some 40+ captain vacancies would need to happen in order to make ORD as junior as LGA. ORD used to be a much larger base than it is now, creating this problem.

Republic has zero interest in doing anything to benefit ORD. Mike Dee has come right out and said theyíre not growing or even maintaining Chicago. The only reason itís even a base, much like IAH, is to show it in their recruiting material. Otherwise BB would be all to happy to be a NY and outstation airline. Weíll never compete with Skywest or any other airline west of the Mississippi with this business model.

Ihavenoidea
03-22-2019, 07:49 PM
I was told that IAH FO was attainable 8 months after DOH. Is this still accurate today or has this increased? Donít even want to know how long it would take to hold CA lol

IDrive175
03-22-2019, 08:06 PM
I was told that IAH FO was attainable 8 months after DOH. Is this still accurate today or has this increased? Donít even want to know how long it would take to hold CA lol

I think that's ambitious at best. Such a small base, and VERY little movement. And some here would tell you it might not even exist in 8 months.

VASBYT
03-23-2019, 06:45 AM

This is true, however, there have been no actual FO vacacies for IAH since April. I believe those that have been awarded have been backfills. An April 2016 hire was just awarded a IAH Captain slot in January.

Irishblackbird
03-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Anyone have any info on how long to hold a CMH out of training and reserve times? Thanks

BosoxH60
03-28-2019, 08:31 AM
Anyone have any info on how long to hold a CMH out of training and reserve times? Thanks

April's bid has 8/7/18 as the most junior composite line holder in CMH.

I can tell you that they've got 4 FO positions for the bid effective August 1st...

05Duramax
03-28-2019, 10:40 AM
In the last couple of new hire classes CMH was assigned to half the class. Of course that is as of right now, but you should be able to get it right away.

Irishblackbird
03-28-2019, 10:52 AM
April's bid has 8/7/18 as the most junior composite line holder in CMH.

I can tell you that they've got 4 FO positions for the bid effective August 1st...

Thanks guy's for the info. When you say composite line, is this a line made up of reserve and line flying?

Irishblackbird
03-28-2019, 10:55 AM
In the last couple of new hire classes CMH was assigned to half the class. Of course that is as of right now, but you should be able to get it right away.

Is this the case where pilots are assigned a base until they can hold an award at another base? Also, is parking paid for in your base?Thanks

05Duramax
03-28-2019, 12:24 PM
I haven't figured out the parking part yet myself. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Your assigned a base in training, then you can bid for whatever base you want. Except for a few exceptions you can get most bases on your first bid.

Wilfortina
03-28-2019, 12:56 PM
Yes parking is paid for in your base

TheWeatherman
03-28-2019, 01:11 PM
Parking is paid up to what would be paid at the base you are assigned, you need to submit parking receipts to get reimbursed up to that amount. If it would cost Republic $100 a month to get you employee parking at the base you are assigned, and it costs you $200 a month to park at the base you commute from, you get $100. If it costs you $50, you get $50.

Looking at class assignments is a pointless exercise as it constantly changes and most of those people end up getting to the base they want by the end of IOE any way. That's why I stopped posting/commenting on them long ago.

Ihavenoidea
03-28-2019, 02:20 PM
Parking is paid up to what would be paid at the base you are assigned, you need to submit parking receipts to get reimbursed up to that amount. If it would cost Republic $100 a month to get you employee parking at the base you are assigned, and it costs you $200 a month to park at the base you commute from, you get $100. If it costs you $50, you get $50.

Looking at class assignments is a pointless exercise as it constantly changes and most of those people end up getting to the base they want by the end of IOE any way. That's why I stopped posting/commenting on them long ago.

With the exception of IAH and MIA, not sure if MCI is attainable that early either but maybe.

TheWeatherman
03-28-2019, 02:23 PM
With the exception of IAH and MIA, not sure if MCI is attainable that early either but maybe.
Even with those bases, every once in a while very junior FOs have been able to hold it. Both have been open for more then a year, and the initial rush of jr. FOs that bid and transferred to those bases are now upgrading to CA, leaving more openings.

Ihavenoidea
03-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Even with those bases, every once in a while very junior FOs have been able to hold it. Both have been open for more then a year, and the initial rush of jr. FOs that bid and transferred to those bases are now upgrading to CA, leaving more openings.

Does EWR have commuteable trips? I know the outstations are typically less commuter friendly.

Web265
03-29-2019, 06:06 AM
Since no one else replied, I'll give it a shot. Not a commuter, junior-ish line holder.

Seems to me (looking at my schedule), a lot of trips are commutable on one end, meaning they start late morning or early afternoon.

My earliest show time in April is 12 noon. Most of the trips I've been getting that start late also end late(ish) 9pm-11pm. So you might be able to look at schedules between where you would be commuting from and EWR.

Having said that, a LOT of the Captains that I've been flying with commute and make it work without too much stress. (drop a turn at the end of the trip or something similar to make both ends commutable.)

Does EWR have commuteable trips? I know the outstations are typically less commuter friendly.