Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

LUPilot
09-24-2018, 01:21 PM
College student here trying make a smart decision for my regional airline. I still have good bit of time before I need to make my decision, but I love to stay informed on the trends of the industry.

Republic has been my top regional for quite some time. I like their QOL, bases, pay, etc. From my interaction with the company, they seem like a high quality place to go as far as the regional market is concerned.

Recently, I have been hearing rumblings of people saying that major airlines don't like Republic much, or that they look down on Republic as a low-tier regional and their training is not very good.

Is there any validity to the statements that major airlines don't like Republic, or is that just false rumors?

Jungle Jim
09-24-2018, 01:32 PM
That would be news to me. However, I wouldn't base your regional-level job decision on water cooler talk. I based my decision on the points you mentioned: QOL, base/not commuting, pay, the most favorable work rules, and how quick I can hold a line. Republic is hard to beat on many of those items. There will always a good percentage of main line guys that love to look down their nose at regional pilots no matter who they are flying for. Go where it makes the most sense, get as much time as quick as you can, then you can get to that major quicker and look down your nose at all of us regional scum, too. :D

N1CEandEZ
09-24-2018, 01:35 PM
I wouldn’t be worried. If you are set at working at AA then go to a wholly owned. If not, go to the airline that gets you the best QOL and you shouldn’t be at a disadvantage.

joefly
09-24-2018, 01:37 PM
I heard opposite, except maybe from AA since they hire through Flow and military, (that's coming from a captain who does interviewing 4 times a month down at DFW), but they have hired republic pilots.

Taco Cat
09-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Historically, Republic pilots have gone to all the Big 3... pilots that went to SWA say that they LUV us! (see what I did there?)... Same at FedEx...
FO’s are going to Spirit, Allegiant, Atlas, and Kallita in less than 2 years on property... very, very few are going to other regionals unless it’s for the crazy bonus money being thrown around (got to pay those student loans off) or as street captains.
Go where you don’t have to commute and can afford to live in base...
Never have more possessions than you can pack in the back of a Ford F-150 until you get to your “destination Airline”...

greendotplus10
09-24-2018, 02:41 PM
I can’t see why such rumblings would be happening. Republic pilots can and do go anywhere, aside from American that mostly relies on wholly owned flow and military pilots. There are a lot of experienced captains at Republic. The more junior captains have learned from the ones that have been around longer, so the trend continues. The E170 flies just like mainline aircraft (similar automation levels, modes, and functions), and our procedures reflect mainline procedures. Even a good portion of the routes we’re flying are like what mainline flies. You can sit in a Republic E170 for over 4 hours and go LGA to IAH. That’s an extreme example but I’ve gotten a little tired of the long flights that we operate at this “regional” airline.

Rahlifer
09-24-2018, 03:23 PM
We’ve had guys going off to all majors and LCCs so I don’t think there’s any real truth to majors “not liking” republic pilots. The tough nut to crack would be AA since they hire primarily military and flows from their wholly owned regionals only. Whatever you decide, FINISH YOUR DEGREE before even thinking of going to a regional. You will never be able to move on to a career airline without it.

LUPilot
09-24-2018, 04:12 PM
This is valuable insight from all of you. It seems as though there is nothing to worry about in going to Republic. That is what I expected, I don't understand where those rumors are coming from. My eventual goal is to fly for Delta, so the fact that there is no AA flow is irrelevant to me.
The goal now is to finish my degree and hours ASAP and get to Republic sooner than later!

Rahlifer
09-24-2018, 04:53 PM
This is valuable insight from all of you. It seems as though there is nothing to worry about in going to Republic. That is what I expected, I don't understand where those rumors are coming from. My eventual goal is to fly for Delta, so the fact that there is no AA flow is irrelevant to me.
The goal now is to finish my degree and hours ASAP and get to Republic sooner than later!

If Delta is your ultimate goal, keep your GPA at least a 3.5 or better and finish in four years. They are real sticklers on those two points from what I've heard. They also like to see lots of volunteer time and extracurricular activities. :cool:

Thewrongstufff
09-27-2018, 08:43 AM
Do an internship... yesterday

MNpilot16
09-27-2018, 09:17 AM
If your goal is delta why not go to endeavor? Better pay and also a guarenteed delta interview. I’d say you’d have a better shot over there than republic going to a carrier like delta. Unless you just wanted Republic for a base of course

sflpilot
09-27-2018, 05:47 PM
Do an internship... yesterday

Oh so that’s required. When are you allowed to have a career?

175drvr
09-27-2018, 08:57 PM
GO TO AN AIRLINE WITH A FLOW.

Period.

TheWeatherman
09-28-2018, 06:26 AM
GO TO AN AIRLINE WITH A FLOW.

Period.
Is that what they tell ya?

bigtime209
10-03-2018, 09:16 AM
College student here trying make a smart decision for my regional airline. I still have good bit of time before I need to make my decision, but I love to stay informed on the trends of the industry.

Republic has been my top regional for quite some time. I like their QOL, bases, pay, etc. From my interaction with the company, they seem like a high quality place to go as far as the regional market is concerned.

Recently, I have been hearing rumblings of people saying that major airlines don't like Republic much, or that they look down on Republic as a low-tier regional and their training is not very good.

Is there any validity to the statements that major airlines don't like Republic, or is that just false rumors?

Definitely a false rumor, wherever you heard that. As others have said, if you have your heart set on going to AA specifically, one of the 3 AA WOs is the best option. Last year, only 11% of the AA new hires came outside of the military or flow. As far as any other major or legacy, going to Republic won't give you a specific advantage or disadvantage over other airlines. What's most important is builidng your resume and being able to check the right boxes on the app. Become a check airman, volunteer, hit job fairs, network, etc. Republic offers great QOL and a good contract...it's a good option.

MrFriendly7
10-03-2018, 06:05 PM
I know people from Rep. now at Jetblue, American and Southwest. Republic is top shelf most majors know that. But the application is about you, mostly.

TheWeatherman
10-05-2018, 01:15 PM

That's a load of **** and sounds like something somebody would say who has been out of the industry for a few years and out of touch.

You have to do your own research, never rely on the word of other people who may have their own biases and 'ignorances'. When I was researching for a Regional, Republic was at the bottom of my list due to their bankruptcy issues and what people were saying on these boards. But all that changed suddenly when they came out of it. I ended up choosing to go here and have not regretted it a bit due to the high pay and QOL when in comparison to the other regionals I was considering.

Viking6
10-05-2018, 02:40 PM
The numbers say the Legacies don’t particularly like Republic pilots. Not sure what the reason is, but the quantitative data shows we don’t get much love. A total of 27 pilots have moved to the big 3 this year, but 15 of those were former military. A whopping 12 pilots have moved to the big 3 from republic, and mostly United. No idea how that stacks up with other regionals.

TheWeatherman
10-05-2018, 02:51 PM
The numbers say the Legacies don’t particularly like Republic pilots. Not sure what the reason is, but the quantitative data shows we don’t get much love. A total of 27 pilots have moved to the big 3 this year, but 15 of those were former military. A whopping 12 pilots have moved to the big 3 from republic, and mostly United. No idea how that stacks up with other regionals.

Then how can you qualify your first statement? A comparison to other regionals without flow, if someone has it, would tell you whether that is true or not. What do the Majors particularly dislike about Republic that puts their applications to the bottom of the pile as you say?

Viking6
10-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Then how can you qualify your first statement? A comparison to other regionals without flow, if someone has it, would tell you whether that is true or not. What do the Majors particularly dislike about Republic that puts their applications to the bottom of the pile as you say?

I’ve been at Republic for 8 years and 12 is an horrendous number. Definitely the lowest number I’ve seen since the hiring started back up. The big three have hired about 1400 so far this year, and yes that includes the flows at American. Adds up to about a 10 percent chance of moving to the Big 3 from Republic.

ChopNDrop
10-06-2018, 07:18 AM
I’ve been at Republic for 8 years and 12 is an horrendous number. Definitely the lowest number I’ve seen since the hiring started back up. The big three have hired about 1400 so far this year, and yes that includes the flows at American. Adds up to about a 10 percent chance of moving to the Big 3 from Republic.

I wonder how many of our people go to a LCC/Major, then to the big 3. We had a large number of people leave for LCC/Major this year

Viking6
10-06-2018, 07:31 AM
I wonder how many of our people go to a LCC/Major, then to the big 3. We had a large number of people leave for LCC/Major this year

True. Southwest loves us, and we lose many FOs to Spirit. I know two captains that left Republic to go to Spirt, and both are at United now. Of course we have FOs leaving to other LCCs / ULCCs.

Crown
10-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Delta guy here. Got out of the Republic mess a few years ago. Here's the bottom line - RAH is not viewed at Delta, as far as I can tell, positive or negative. It's just there. Same with most of the regionals. The CA's I fly with have said that they've noticed Compass and Skywest seem to come in with poor attitudes.

That being said, it's the person, not the regional. Your app needs to sing. You yourself need to demonstrate that you belong here, or at United, or FedEx, or wherever. Your application, your history, and who you are as a person, will determine it. Good luck!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1