Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Base choices

pilot2804
09-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Just looking into base choices but can't really make an idea. Going to be moving into base, single with no kids and can move anywhere, so flying a lot would be fun. How do you guys make your base choices? The most amount of time, greatest trips? I don't mind doing 3-5 day trips - but what's yalls thought process on choosing the best base? and why? what do you think is the best?

170driver
09-27-2018, 07:23 AM
Just looking into base choices but can't really make an idea. Going to be moving into base, single with no kids and can move anywhere, so flying a lot would be fun. How do you guys make your base choices? The most amount of time, greatest trips? I don't mind doing 3-5 day trips - but what's yalls thought process on choosing the best base? and why? what do you think is the best?

IND has the best trips. #closetheoutstations /s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

COKS
09-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Whats the MCI base like?

DiveAndDrive
09-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know the crashpad situation in IND, CMH, PIT, or MCI?

TheWeatherman
09-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Not CMH because OSU and their fans suck. IND is a good midwestern town which has pretty much everything and nice suburbs around the airport. As the other has mentioned, good trips and a lot of FOs so you know you will quickly have more come in behind you moving you up in seniority. Also, TSA and the rampers don't hate us there as much as they do in CMH.

greendotplus10
09-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Great choice, moving to base sure beats commuting. Especially at the outstations which have early morning shows. Something to consider though is if you plan to use your travel benefits to visit family or friends. The base you choose could influence how easy those trips would be. Also the base seniority for captains is different. See my post in the Junior Lines & Base Assignments thread about how easy it is to upgrade in each base.

Drone424
09-28-2018, 07:27 AM
Does anybody have any opinions on the DCA base yet?

FlyGood
09-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Does anybody have any opinions on the DCA base yet?

What about it exactly? Commutability or do you live in the DC area and want to know how long to hold it? Or are you asking about trips etc?

DiveAndDrive
09-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know the availability of crashpads in IND?

BosoxH60
09-30-2018, 03:35 AM
Does anyone know the availability of crashpads in IND?

Several ads on the bulletin board in the break room at the training center.

DiveAndDrive
09-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Several ads on the bulletin board in the break room at the training center.

Sweet. Thank you!

glassnpowder98
10-01-2018, 05:42 AM
Whats the MCI base like?

I was a top 15% seniority FO there and couldnít hold commutable trips. I would typically bid 5am starts so I could get done by noon the last day. If junior youíre going to start at 5am and finish at midnight. If you live there itís not much of a problem, but itís not really a commuter friendly base (like most outstations).

Skyykingg
10-01-2018, 05:14 PM
What about it exactly? Commutability or do you live in the DC area and want to know how long to hold it? Or are you asking about trips etc?

Yes to all.

Tigflt17
10-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Yes to all.

Look at ďJunior lines and base assignmentsĒ about 9 threads down. People are talking about DCA there. 3 months to get the 4 month out vacancy, 6-8 months reserve. Junior line is a year. Junior post SAP is 7-8 months for October schedules.

Commutability depends on where from. For my commute, around 100 trips

Trips vary, AA, DL, UA flights

Mtn Monkey
10-02-2018, 04:08 AM
Republic has the worst bases in the industry!

Captain Slow
10-02-2018, 05:27 AM
Republic has the worst bases in the industry!

Then go somewhere else.

Itís a pilotís market.

Nobody is forcing people to come here.

MrFriendly7
10-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Myn Monkey just hating. I like the Republic bases.

misterpretzel
10-06-2018, 11:57 PM
Columbus vs Indianapolis- which one would you rather move to?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Taco Cat
10-07-2018, 07:59 PM
CMH, IND, and PIT all have reasonable cost of living if you are moving to base...
Indy being close to the flag pole offers more opportunities to plug into company programs, like Talent Acquisition Team (interviewing prospective new hires)... Work opportunities abound!
Cíbus is a college town with a young vibe, fun if you arenít the introverted type... look towards the west side near campus (the Quarry is single nirvana)
PIT has the Steelers... Pirates... Penguins... Blue Collar but they arenít Cleveland!!! Blue collar and rebounding...

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1