Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ZED vs. Intl Jumpseat

whataclub
09-29-2018, 12:51 PM
I am debating whether I should zed on an international united flight out of the states or just Jumpseat. My question is in regards to the money paid. If you just Jumpseat as opposed to ZED is the price any different or is it the same? Thanks!

Aviator147
09-29-2018, 12:58 PM
I am debating whether I should zed on an international united flight out of the states or just Jumpseat. My question is in regards to the money paid. If you just Jumpseat as opposed to ZED is the price any different or is it the same? Thanks!

with International jumpseat on OAL, you still need to have a seat to flow back to in the cabin since you can't be in the flight deck. And listing intl jumpseat is the last priority below the ZED fares. I'm not 100% sure on the fees. I'd imagine you will have to pay the departure taxes but it might be slightly less than an ZED overall as you aren't buying a ticket. I think ZED is a better option than trying to deal with the intricacy of jumpseating offline Internationally.

IDIOTPILOT
09-29-2018, 01:13 PM
Jumpseat you just pay taxes. Zed you have to pay a base fare plus the taxes. Depending on the route and zed agreement, could be $50-200 difference.

hilltopflyer
09-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Are us pilots allowed to Jumpseat in British airways (yes, a seat in the back) just to save zed fare price.

cactusmike
09-29-2018, 08:56 PM
Are us pilots allowed to Jumpseat in British airways (yes, a seat in the back) just to save zed fare price.

No. And they donít understand when you ask about it.

whataclub
10-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured those were the differences. Another question: on United as an offline guy I can only buy a ZED listed in economy. Hypothetically if economy is 100% full but business is open, does that mean I get left behind at the gate?

sigler
10-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I figured those were the differences. Another question: on United as an offline guy I can only buy a ZED listed in economy. Hypothetically if economy is 100% full but business is open, does that mean I get left behind at the gate?

Depends on the airline. Some airlines will upgrade as many paying passengers as possible to open up seats in economy and get non-revs on, including ZED, others won't. Not sure what United does.

full of luv
10-02-2018, 06:15 AM

One other SLIGHT consideration is that ZED's come before JS's on most airlines so if there were other ZED's, they'd be on before you under JS authority..... but on some airlines (at least one named after a greek letter) the JS'r will get an upgrade before a standard ZED would, so your mileage may vary!

IDIOTPILOT
10-02-2018, 07:59 PM

Iím not sure if thereís even a way for the gate agent to issue you a first/business seat. I think as a rule they donít have to upgrade paying coach to get you on. It probably happens but I wouldnít count on it as being the norm.

ShyGuy
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
In my opinion, there isnít any reason to buy a zed.

In MAD on United going back to EWR, no one knew what a jumpseat/OCM listing was. I ended up buying a ZED ticket in the interest of saving time and actually making the flight.

rdb253
10-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Yea I will jump seat international to save a few bucks sometimes, but the hassle of coming back in certain countries that may rarely see jumpseaters has been problematic in the past enough (Rio de Janeiro) that I would rather just buy a zed check in and walk through security. A good resource is jumpseatinfo.org as I have used it to show agents that we can actually jumpseat and it also has good information regarding procedures for international jumpseat with each airline. Have fun out there!

cesnacaptn
10-05-2018, 12:11 AM
+1 on most of this.

TSA regs require that personal INTL JS not use KCM. Can you do so and than get your JS at the gate? yes you probably can, but that's not technically allowed.

Youíre right. You are prohibited from using KCM for international personal travel.

I used my company iD badge and went through a normal security line. Itís a pain to downsize all of my toiletries, but itís worth it to not have to check a bag and deal with what you dealt with in EWR.

BkkPilot
10-15-2018, 11:44 PM
United used to upgrade even OAL jumpseaters to C class automatically as long as there were seats open. On international flights. Yes, the gate agents would do that. Did that policy change?

cesnacaptn
10-16-2018, 07:57 AM
United used to upgrade even OAL jumpseaters to C class automatically as long as there were seats open. On international flights. Yes, the gate agents would do that. Did that policy change?

That was Unitedís policy before the merger with CAL. Now OAL jumpseaters are listed in Y and your only shot at business is the benevolence of the captain or purser.

bcpilot
11-17-2018, 04:01 PM
That was Unitedís policy before the merger with CAL. Now OAL jumpseaters are listed in Y and your only shot at business is the benevolence of the captain or purser.

Itís very hard to get an upgrade on UA for even the staff of United these days.
I work for a UAX carrier and I see the nonrev mainline guys listed in the business but they are way below the list.
There are tons of Mileage plus members listed as upgradable stand by on every flight and these guys are holders of the United plus Visa card.

So lots of stars have to line up in order to get an upgrade on United these days, it is almost equal to winning a lotto..

But if there is a rare chance of an seat open, an exceptionally good gate agent (rare breed) or a crew might extend the courtesy...

Qotsaautopilot
11-17-2018, 04:27 PM
All reasons I’ve just stopped traveling internationally. How and the hell people sit in coach on ocean crossings is beyond comprehension. I’m not an animal! The last time I had to do that was from Rome to EWR and I said never again.

9easy
11-19-2018, 09:35 PM
I've jumpseated back from lots of places on UA and DL. The key is to find the one check-in agent who actually works for the airline, usually the manager. They will have some semblance of how to do the listing. It took 4 guys in Beijing and it seemed like they were re-typing the communist manifesto onto the keyboard, but they were able to figure it out. Same in Mexico, Singapore, Taiwan, and Europe. Plan B is always a zed ticket. But why pay $100 for something you get for free?

9easy
11-19-2018, 09:48 PM
All reasons Iíve just stopped traveling internationally. How and the hell people sit in coach on ocean crossings is beyond comprehension. Iím not an animal! The last time I had to do that was from Rome to EWR and I said never again.

There's a lot more going on in planet earth than Walmart, Trump, and etc. One of the best things we can do is travel to different countries. 200 years ago, people sat on boats or covered wagons for weeks... sitting on a seat for 8 hours with a tv in your face and free food isn't the end of the world.

ShyGuy
11-20-2018, 02:49 PM
All reasons I’ve just stopped traveling internationally. How and the hell people sit in coach on ocean crossings is beyond comprehension. I’m not an animal! The last time I had to do that was from Rome to EWR and I said never again.

Let me find a politically correct way to ask, are you a person of size? I've traveled a bunch internationally including Rome to DTW nonstop and never had any issues in steerage class. Longest flight I've done was Dubai to Houston that was over 16 hrs in coach. No problems at all and it was actually comfortable.

Simpsons
11-21-2018, 07:49 AM
I used a ZED on Lufthansa from Munich to Paris earlier this year and when all the seats were full they gave me a flight attendant jumpseat. Staff travel in Europe is very relaxed compared to here in the US

sovt
11-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Same at CAL prior to the merger. FOM gave the Captain authority to upgrade a jumpseater.

Turbosina
11-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Same at CAL prior to the merger. FOM gave the Captain authority to upgrade a jumpseater.

A while back I was nonrevving on UA int'l and there was a Kalitta guy commuting home after his usual 17-day trip. The CA upgraded him to First (not Business, but First...this was before First went away on UA). I thought that was a very nice gesture on the CA's behalf.

captjns
11-22-2018, 06:34 PM
It was rare for those who jumped seated on Pan Am, TWA, UAL etc. would ever not be in First Class.

TransWorld
11-22-2018, 06:41 PM
It was rare for those who jumped seated on Pan Am, TWA, UAL etc. would ever not be in First Class.

I can vouch for that on TWA. Of course this was before the days of complimentary upgrade segments, so except for those who actually paid for First, anyone jumpseating pretty well was next in line for First. On heavily traveled routes, sometimes half of First was filled with pilots.

badflaps
11-23-2018, 08:05 AM
I can vouch for that on TWA. Of course this was before the days of complimentary upgrade segments, so except for those who actually paid for First, anyone jumpseating pretty well was next in line for First. On heavily traveled routes, sometimes half of First was filled with pilots.

Aaaand then.... the bean counters got involved.

TransWorld
11-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Aaaand then.... the bean counters got involved.

Actually, Carl Icahn. Then the bean counters at the remaining legacies.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1