Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

BarrySeal
09-29-2018, 01:15 PM
May seem "obvious" answer but maybe not, now that Skywest has a DFW base. I live in Dallas, as does my family (wife, kids) and parents, who are in declining health. As such, I am trying to "target" companies with Dallas Pilot bases, even tho I may need to wait a while to get back to Dallas as a base, at least the chance is there, versus work for Horizon, etc.

With that said, would you go Skywest, or Envoy ?

Thank you

pangolin
09-29-2018, 01:27 PM
May seem "obvious" answer but maybe not, now that Skywest has a DFW base. I live in Dallas, as does my family (wife, kids) and parents, who are in declining health. As such, I am trying to "target" companies with Dallas Pilot bases, even tho I may need to wait a while to get back to Dallas as a base, at least the chance is there, versus work for Horizon, etc.

Thank you

Why discount Mesa? You’ll get your 121 PIC time faster and live in base.

hawk21
09-29-2018, 01:41 PM
All my friends that went to Envoy for the DFW base are on permanent reserve, stuck in Chicago, and/or getting forced into LGA as captains.

N1CEandEZ
09-29-2018, 01:49 PM

Thank you

For both Skywest and Envoy anticipate having to commute for at least a few months before being able to get DFW. As somebody said earlier you might want to consider Mesa if you want DFW right away.

amcnd
09-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Whats your main goal? Major, easy route (maybe not DFW for awhile but at somepoint), = Envoy.. DFW quick, no forced upgrade to LGA, = SkyWest. Oh then there is Mesa there...???.. only go there to get in. Get the time. Get out...

BarrySeal
09-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Whats your main goal? Major, easy route (maybe not DFW for awhile but at somepoint), = Envoy.. DFW quick, no forced upgrade to LGA, = SkyWest. Oh then there is Mesa there...???.. only go there to get in. Get the time. Get out...

Primary Target = SWA. #2 = AA. Envoy offers AA flow as a "backup" in SWA does not call, and in the event AA does not pick me up as an OTS hire.

So....

amcnd
09-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Tuff call SWA takes a ton for SkyWest folks... im worried if you go envoy you won’t be going for DFW in reality.... good luck..

zondaracer
09-29-2018, 08:27 PM
The most junior FO at SkyWest just got awarded to someone with 4 months on property. So he probably commuted for 1-2 months before holding DFW. 2 years 10 months to hold captain.

word302
09-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Why discount Mesa? You’ll get your 121 PIC time faster and live in base.

Because Mesa. Upgrade is under 1 year at OO.

TheFly
09-30-2018, 01:58 AM
Skw.........

SpringLanding
09-30-2018, 11:35 AM
My priority with a regional airline is to get flight time. Can I fly 85 hours per month or more at SkyWest if I live in NYC?

How long from starting ground school until flying a full schedule? Thank you for the replies.

word302
09-30-2018, 02:45 PM
My priority with a regional airline is to get flight time. Can I fly 85 hours per month or more at SkyWest if I live in NYC?

How long from starting ground school until flying a full schedule? Thank you for the replies.
LOL. You'll fly that much and more. Likely 3 months start to finish. Give or take.

Is offline
10-01-2018, 05:44 AM
There will be 20 planes in DFW for skywest. They have around 30 crews now so in the next 6 months or so it is going to grow by 90 crews. New hires and jr captains will be hitting dfw soon.

BarrySeal
10-01-2018, 04:46 PM
There will be 20 planes in DFW for skywest. They have around 30 crews now so in the next 6 months or so it is going to grow by 90 crews. New hires and jr captains will be hitting dfw soon.

Thank you, good info to hear