Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Snack basket negotiations

Excargodog
10-01-2018, 04:33 PM
I realize it's early. The CBA still has - what? Another 15-16 months to run? But it isn't TOO early to voice your opinion to Compass ALPA negotiators on what the contents of Compass snack baskets should be. Input from FAs, either here or to your own FA Union reps are also welcome.

Av8tr1
10-01-2018, 04:42 PM
You're assuming that there will be a Compass around in 15-16 months......

No official statements but word on the street is Delta isn't renewing your contract? Rumor I heard was Delta dropped you and Gojet for 2019?

Excargodog
10-01-2018, 04:53 PM

No official statements but word on the street is Delta isn't renewing your contract? Rumor I heard was Delta dropped you and Gojet for 2019?

Wrong thread for Compass is about to die. That's been playing out for years on the main Compass thread. Also that Delta was buying us back, Republic had already bought us, and several dozen other rumors. Now I don't know if any of them will ever come true or if so when. But the contents of the snack basket are a definable issue, and important enough to take to the National Mediation Board under the RLA if we can't get satisfaction.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-01-2018, 05:12 PM
We just gotta break management and remember the words of the late SeŮior Emiliano Zapata, the original snack basket auditor:

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas"

Swe-dish-fish!
Swe-dish-fish!
Swe-dish-fish!

1,2,3,4- we won't take it any-more!
5,6,7,8- we want better snacks to taste!

JetDoc
10-01-2018, 05:27 PM
God the AA basket blowsssssssssssssssssssssssss..

havick206
10-01-2018, 05:28 PM
You guys have one up on us at the WOís, and that is you have Oreos. We might give concessions on flow in the next TA for Oreos.

VIRotate
10-01-2018, 08:53 PM

We are actually getting stapled to mainline. They want us a fly the C-Series. Havenít you heard? A flight attendants cousin told me.

Back to reality, our contracts arenít even up for renewal until 2020 or 2021. So just some fake news.

Taco280AI
10-02-2018, 03:19 AM
Now that I've gained 33.7 pounds off the snack basket, how about we shift our efforts a little. Pistachios, beef jerky, other lean and low, or no, carb snacks. And why no more almonds? We only have peanuts. Have we sunk that low? We're literally working for peanuts.

Taco280AI
10-02-2018, 03:23 AM
We are actually getting stapled to mainline. They want us a fly the C-Series. Havenít you heard? A flight attendants cousin told me.

Back to reality, our contracts arenít even up for renewal until 2020 or 2021. So just some fake news.

Some people can't help themselves and the sky is always falling. I heard we wouldn't be able to staff classes and we'd cancel half of our flights this summer, yet classes are full.

As for the Airbus 220, I already have the EPs and memory items verbatim. Just waiting for the call coach, put me in!

SonicFlyer
10-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Double the amount of Biscoff! :D

veewan
10-02-2018, 06:38 AM
I know this is supposed to be a joke, but I bet there are enough Compass pilots who would actually vote to extend current book in exchange for their treat of choice in the snack basket.

Excargodog
10-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Now that I've gained 33.7 pounds off the snack basket, how about we shift our efforts a little. Pistachios, beef jerky, other lean and low, or no, carb snacks..

Excuse me? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pistachios, but pistachios and 'lean' don't actually belong in the same sentence. They are like 160 calories an OUNCE. They have enough oil in them (delicious oil for sure) that you could lube wheel bearings with them.

But yeah, they've still got my vote.

FlytheSky
10-02-2018, 09:19 AM
I know this is supposed to be a joke, but I bet there are enough Compass pilots who would actually vote to extend current book in exchange for their treat of choice in the snack basket.

Forget that, what about the previous MEC that voted to extend the CBA without a pilot vote?

In all seriousness, though, I never even saw the legendary Oreo snack basket in my entire Compass career. Maybe got stuck eating too many Stroopwafels on the American side of the house.

Dont worry, at Widget, you still work for peanuts, too. ;) I'm just happy they brought them back.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-02-2018, 11:24 AM
Excuse me? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pistachios, but pistachios and 'lean' don't actually belong in the same sentence. They are like 160 calories an OUNCE. They have enough oil in them (delicious oil for sure) that you could lube wheel bearings with them.

But yeah, they've still got my vote.

This^^^

Never eat a Costco bag of pistachio squares unless you are packing mucho fiber-o. Trust me, I knew a guy, it's not worth the 4% Vitamin A.

Taco280AI
10-02-2018, 11:47 AM
All this division will weaken us, not make us stronger. And I'd take pistachios over oreos every time.

Purplez
10-02-2018, 12:04 PM
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/09/11/2018-19711/petition-for-exemption-summary-of-petition-received-compass-airlines-llc

poorflyer
10-02-2018, 12:24 PM
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/09/11/2018-19711/petition-for-exemption-summary-of-petition-received-compass-airlines-llc

"Description of Relief Sought: Compass Airlines LLC is seeking relief from 14 CFR 121.407(a)(1)(ii) to allow the use of a modified full flight simulator representing an Embraer 190 type airplane in conjunction with an Embraer 175 Integrated Procedures Trainer to provide training, checking and currency for pilots operating Embraer 175 type airplanes."

Saved you a click

Excargodog
10-02-2018, 01:14 PM
"Description of Relief Sought: Compass Airlines LLC is seeking relief from 14 CFR 121.407(a)(1)(ii) to allow the use of a modified full flight simulator representing an Embraer 190 type airplane in conjunction with an Embraer 175 Integrated Procedures Trainer to provide training, checking and currency for pilots operating Embraer 175 type airplanes."

Saved you a click

Thank God. I was briefly fearful that maintenance was going to take the lubing wheel bearings with pistachios seriously.

Not that you couldn't mind you, but what a waste...

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-02-2018, 09:37 PM
In all seriousness, though, I never even saw the legendary Oreo snack basket in my entire Compass career. Maybe got stuck eating too many Stroopwafels on the American side of the house.

I once had so many oreos, I had to manually enter the weight on the loadsheet. Moved the stab from 3.5 to 3.8. That's gangsta

ninerdriver
10-03-2018, 04:43 AM
You should see what we have in the 9E snack basket out of New York:

- Smoked ham and gruyere panini on ciabatta
- Black roe with water crackers and cream cheese
- Soft boiled egg with thick-sliced, artisan, hand-crafted bacon
- Berry compote with creme fraiche in a flippy cup

Or maybe I'm just throwing random food words out there. We lost our almonds IRL, though, too.

TalkTurkey
10-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Rumor control required: Word on the street among some Envoy sources is that American is going to dump your Embraer flying. What say you?

poorflyer
10-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Rumor control required: Word on the street among some Envoy sources is that American is going to dump your Embraer flying. What say you?

Same thing we've said since we've got the planes. It's rumors and there's nothing we can do about it either way. So thanks for bringing it up though. Gotta make sure us regional pilots are never happy huh.

FollowMe
10-03-2018, 08:46 AM

Itís been the same rumor every month for the last three years...anything can happen, but the contract still has years to go and CP has the best performance numbers in the Eagle portfolio.

Taco280AI
10-03-2018, 09:20 AM

First, the rumor is true. But we're losing the 'Merican planes next week so be ready.

Second, haters gonna hate.

Third, and most importantly, if y'all don't have any snack basket rumors to add, stay off this thread.

FlytheSky
10-03-2018, 10:09 AM
I once had so many oreos, I had to manually enter the weight on the loadsheet. Moved the stab from 3.5 to 3.8. That's gangsta

Clearly I bid for the wrong trips. My snack basket is often times on MEL (Minimum Eating Left).

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-03-2018, 06:15 PM
First, the rumor is true. But we're losing the 'Merican planes next week so be ready.

Second, haters gonna hate.

Third, and most importantly, if y'all don't have any snack basket rumors to add, stay off this thread.

This^^. WildTurkey is trying to make this compass thread serious. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Here's a bomb.com rumor for ya:

Toblerone.

Heard it outside the CP office when I was putting a cup on the door and eavesdropping.

Excargodog
10-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Chocolate and mint......

TillerTemptress
10-03-2018, 08:26 PM
I want to see some healthy options in the snack basket. Clif bars, beef jerky without lots of added sugar, bring the almonds back but maybe truffle/wasabi/other flavors... those dried out pea things... some dried fruit for those that need something sweet.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
I want to see some healthy options in the snack basket. Clif bars, beef jerky without lots of added sugar, bring the almonds back but maybe truffle/wasabi/other flavors... those dried out pea things... some dried fruit for those that need something sweet.

Careful what you wish for.. Snack basket management is/are on these forums and they are taking notice as to what's said on here. All snack basket remarks are subject to subpoena.

week
10-04-2018, 05:00 PM
American flying isnít going anywhere. Weíre cheap and our performance is great. Iíd be surprised if we lost it in the next 24 months.

The delta flying, however, I am gravely afraid will start getting handed over in 8-18 months

notmpet
10-04-2018, 07:46 PM
https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/oh_yeah_macho_man.gif

big news coming next friday

NeverFlexTO
10-04-2018, 09:08 PM
Keep on keeping on guys...ex Compass guy and extremely tired of the 9E guys in the jumpseat talking about the Embraers from Compass rumor. Some guys donít know there audience, I had one the other day telling us his goal was to be at DL before he could upgrade😒...keep the faith! you guys are killing it on the performance side of the house for DCI carriers, best regional I ever worked at...

ninerdriver
10-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Keep on keeping on guys...ex Compass guy and extremely tired of the 9E guys in the jumpseat talking about the Embraers from Compass rumor. Some guys donít know there audience, I had one the other day telling us his goal was to be at DL before he could upgrade😒...keep the faith! you guys are killing it on the performance side of the house for DCI carriers, best regional I ever worked at...

Trust me, we 9E guys are also extremely tired of those 9E guys.

FlyingDutchmn
10-05-2018, 08:02 AM
We just gotta break management and remember the words of the late SeŮior Emiliano Zapata, the original snack basket auditor:

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas"

Swe-dish-fish!
Swe-dish-fish!
Swe-dish-fish!

1,2,3,4- we won't take it any-more!
5,6,7,8- we want better snacks to taste!

Question. Will we take a concession and accept Scandinavian Swimmers, Or are we hardlining for the main brand swedish fish?

DiamondDriver
10-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Question. Will we take a concession and accept Scandinavian Swimmers, Or are we hardlining for the main brand swedish fish?

An excellent read for those unaware of the Trader Joeís gummy knockoff.
[URL="http://junkbanter.com/2017/01/23/review-trader-joes-scandinavian-swimmers/"]

VIRotate
10-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Trust me, we 9E guys are also extremely tired of those 9E guys.

You seem like a pretty good dude. You are welcome as an honorary guest in the CPZ forums.

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-05-2018, 11:33 AM
You seem like a pretty good dude. You are welcome as an honorary guest in the CPZ forums.

True.. We made Word302 an honorary compass pilot and we still have room!

BobbyLeeSwagger
10-05-2018, 11:41 AM

I say we hold the line. If we give up the Swedish Fish management will know we're not serious. Next thing you know we got "Cake 'O Figs" instead of Fig Bars, "Coco whiches" instead of oreos, "almond bowls" instead of Granola cups, "potato silvers made with ocean salt" by Mr. Vick.. "Dutch Sacers" instead of Stoopwafles.. It's gets out of control.

Hold the line on snack basket scope!

Excargodog
10-05-2018, 12:11 PM
The picture says it all..

ninerdriver
10-05-2018, 02:32 PM

True.. We made Word302 an honorary compass pilot and we still have room!

Appreciate it, dudes!

https://i.imgflip.com/2jhx6e.jpg

Excargodog
04-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Contract time is coming. WE NEED TO BE STARTING TO THINK ABOUT SNACK BASKET WANTS AND NEEDS....

TillerTemptress
04-17-2019, 03:25 PM
You'll never get something that large, but Delta if you're reading this...

MuPpET
04-17-2019, 07:58 PM
https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/oh_yeah_macho_man.gif

Slim jims or strike

MuPpET
04-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Would settle for

https://ship.ralphs.com/img/Products/500/Jack-Links/Jack-Links-Beef-Jerky-Teriyaki-017082876355.jpg

DiamondDriver
04-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Seasonal Oreos.

The peppermint Oreo season has passed...however, spring and Easter Oreos are now available and I would like to find them soon in the basket.

Also. SmartPop, its the riskiest thing Iíve ever done in a cockpit. So good, but the risk reward with taste vs. will it inevitably be stuck in teeth 5 min later

VIRotate
04-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Seasonal Oreos.

The peppermint Oreo season has passed...however, spring and Easter Oreos are now available and I would like to find them soon in the basket.

Also. SmartPop, its the riskiest thing Iíve ever done in a cockpit. So good, but the risk reward with taste vs. will it inevitably be stuck in teeth 5 min later

Peppermint Oreos = Thin Mints. So dangerous.

Gotta love the CPZ forums. Everyone else is talking about how terrible QOL is, taking other regionals' flying, losing/gaining planes. Meanwhile at CPZ we are discussing the snack basket.

FlytheSky
04-17-2019, 11:13 PM
If I wanted peppermint Oreos, I'd get the Trader Joe's Christmas ones. When I get an Oreo, I want an Oreo. Is that too hard to comprehend? I surely thought the peppermint ones would be gone shortly after Christmas. Interestingly enough some planes have them and some don't. I think we should negotiate for consistency in our snack baskets this next time, BobbyLee.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-18-2019, 12:12 AM
I have an update I can share on behalf of the committee:

CPZ MEC-Fastread
Snack Basket Committee
Chairman's message

Greetings fellow CPZ Aviators! As we gear up for another opportunity to advance our snack basket negotiations, we want to remind all of you that unity is paramount. I want you to be the first to know that we will be passing out "snack unity" lanyards in the coming months to show our solidarity to management. We will also be organizing informational pickets to protest the whipsawing tactics of our Oreo vendor, "Oreo Holdings," which has flooded the market with what they are calling "Seasonal Oreos" (without any specific reference to which "season") in order to create confusion and disunity within the pilot group.

Your snack basket committee is, however, hard at work fighting against these whipsawing tactics. Its important to remember that during these fragile times, any unsanctioned job action is unacceptable and only hurts our collective efforts. We urge everyone to remain patient as we sort out the many open snack basket grievances that plague our relationship with management.

As we move toward a solution, we are asking everyone to participate in future snack basket surveys. When we eventually move to a vote, our goal is to have more than a 15% participation rate among the pilot group. We recommend staying up-to-date by signing up for our new communication program: "Snack Cast" which will text you real time updates regarding our negotiations.

As always, we expect progress to be made until I am hired by a major, in which case you will be back to square one with a new chair. If you are interested in serving on the snack basket committee, please declare your interest on cpz.snackbaskets.org; include your name, a TMAAT story about when your snack basket was missing your favorite snack and how you handled it, and your general rationale for serving.

Until then,

Eat snacks and fly your contract!

BLS

ninerdriver
04-18-2019, 05:34 AM
I have an update I can share on behalf of the committee:

CPZ MEC-Fastread
Snack Basket Committee
Chairman's message

Greetings fellow CPZ Aviators! As we gear up for another opportunity to advance our snack basket negotiations, we want to remind all of you that unity is paramount. I want you to be the first to know that we will be passing out "snack unity" lanyards in the coming months to show our solidarity to management. We will also be organizing informational pickets to protest the whipsawing tactics of our Oreo vendor, "Oreo Holdings," which has flooded the market with what they are calling "Seasonal Oreos" (without any specific reference to which "season") in order to create confusion and disunity within the pilot group.

Your snack basket committee is, however, hard at work fighting against these whipsawing tactics. Its important to remember that during these fragile times, any unsanctioned job action is unacceptable and only hurts our collective efforts. We urge everyone to remain patient as we sort out the many open snack basket grievances that plague our relationship with management.

As we move toward a solution, we are asking everyone to participate in future snack basket surveys. When we eventually move to a vote, our goal is to have more than a 15% participation rate among the pilot group. We recommend staying up-to-date by signing up for our new communication program: "Snack Cast" which will text you real time updates regarding our negotiations.

As always, we expect progress to be made until I am hired by a major, in which case you will be back to square one with a new chair. If you are interested in serving on the snack basket committee, please declare your interest on cpz.snackbaskets.org; include your name, a TMAAT story about when your snack basket was missing your favorite snack and how you handled it, and your general rationale for serving.

Until then,

Eat snacks and fly your contract!

BLS

OMG sign me up for the snack casts. This is so much better than the EDV MEC's grand plans. I'm waiting for the email that says, "we had to cut your pay in half and reduce minimum days off to nine, but you can now flow to Delta in twelve years."

FlytheSky
04-18-2019, 07:11 AM
As always, we expect progress to be made until I am hired by a major, in which case you will be back to square one with a new chair.

"Hired by a major" or flow to Frontier? :D

I'd be interested in that lanyard, though! An impressive opener and call for unity. Well done!

FlytheSky
04-18-2019, 07:12 AM
OMG sign me up for the snack casts. This is so much better than the EDV MEC's grand plans. I'm waiting for the email that says, "we had to cut your pay in half and reduce minimum days off to nine, but you can now flow to Delta in twelve years."

Sadly I think you can thank a few bad apples from Compass to keep EDV and any other company from getting a true no-interview flow to Delta... I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong, though if it happens...

Shows how important snack basket negotiations are, though! United we stand and divided we fall!

koala98g
04-18-2019, 01:47 PM
If I create a gofundme for ďSnack UnityĒ lanyards, can I expect support?

snackysmores
04-19-2019, 04:19 PM
This sh1t is going straight to section 6. Your friends at Qx have your back and we too will not tolerate this blatant negotiating in bad faith.

We have seen our "West Coast Vibes" snack basket go straight to hell with "healthy" and "smart" choices.

Stan Dingbye
04-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Seasonal Oreos.

http://i64.tinypic.com/29lmh50.jpg
Section 4.a of the contract states:

ďAll snacks shall remain fresh and delicious. A snack found in the basket beyond its expiration date shall
be promptly removed, and crew members compensated with 150% new, fresh snacks.Ē

Can I still file a grievance - even though I ate them?

MuPpET
04-19-2019, 08:38 PM

ďAll snacks shall remain fresh and delicious. A snack found in the basket beyond its expiration date shall

Absolutely abhorrent what the company can get away with. We have to eat expired Oreos, company will just say grieve it and when it gets to the arbitrator, the company will offer us Oreo crumbs all in 'good faith.' Remember this guys when it's time to vote for your reps.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-19-2019, 09:17 PM

Wow lol.. Good catch.. Remember, destination safety! Stop the operation when unsafe snack conditions are recognized.. No waivers no favors!

TransWorld
04-20-2019, 05:43 AM

Fly it and grieve it.

Eat it and grieve it.

MuPpET
04-20-2019, 05:54 AM
The company is trying to argue that the packaging doesn't specifically state 'expires' so that the date is a sell by date and that Oreos don't actually expire. This of course is incorrect. I'm in the process of contacting Nabisco.

ninerdriver
04-20-2019, 07:16 AM
The company is trying to argue that the packaging doesn't specifically state 'expires' so that the date is a sell by date and that Oreos don't actually expire. This of course is incorrect. I'm in the process of contacting Nabisco.

We've been dealing with this loophole for months. Most dates on packaging these days are "best by" dates, not "expires on" dates.

My company has a clause that explicitly prohibits expired snacks. However, by changing packaging language from "expires on" to "best by," our expiration clauses have become legally useless.

We even ran it by the lawyers at ALPSBA (the Air Line Pilots' Snack Basket Association) National. They couldn't find an interpretation in our favor.

Good luck.

Stan Dingbye
04-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Fly it and grieve it.

Eat it and grieve it.

Full disclosure, I ate it AFTER I saw that the date had passed...

Ima still grieve it though.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1